Type keyword(s) to search

What are... Jeopardy! experiences?

Athena
  • Start Topic

Have you been to a Jeopardy! audition? What happened? Did you ever get onto an episode? What goes on behind the scenes?

I thought we could have a thread dedicated to posters' experiences with auditioning or even being on the show. There are at least a couple posters here who have been on the show. Feel free to ping them and see what their experiences were.

• Love 2

When you're selected to appear on the show, you get a detailed list of where to go, what to bring, etc. They tape 5 shows in one day, typically they do 10 shows per week. They ask you to bring 4 changes of clothes, in case you keep winning. They have hair and makeup people there so you're camera ready. The daily slate of contestants is randomly selected (you just have to hope you're not up against a multi-day champion, but it could easily happen). The board itself is quite a distance from the contestant's podiums, it looks a lot closer on TV. Alex makes it a point not to mingle or even speak to the contestants beforehand, he wants to avoid any appearance of favoritism. During the contestant chit-chat, he picks a topic from the list of you've previously provided to the producers, so you're not sure which one you'll be talking about with him but you'll have some idea. If you keep winning, you provide more. During the commercial break, he'll come over and take a souvenir picture with you. That half hour goes by faster than you can imagine. 

It took three months from the time I was told I was in the contestant pool until they called me to let me know to be in LA six weeks later. You pay for your own transportation and lodging.  Shows air about ten weeks after taping. I was on in 2000, so things may have changed since then but these were my experiences.

• Love 7

I was on back in the days of five-day limits, and ended up on the champ's fifth day, which was especially a bummer because he looked even younger than me, and I hoped my age would make people feel bad for me! (I was 22.)  

I don't recall getting to take a picture with Alex, but I do recall his being shitty toward the crew! I quit watching for years after I was on.

• Love 4

I was never on the show but I did audition a couple times back before they moved to internet-based tests.

This was in the early 90s and I was living in the Los Angeles area.  You went to the studio where they made the show on a weekday. It looked like a regular TV studio; I can't remember if the contestant stands were set up.  You sat in the audience seats to take the test.

They gave us each a paper answer sheet and a pencil.  When the test started, a recording of Alex came on the overhead monitors and he read the clues (which were also printed on the screen).  It was in that way much like playing the game at home.   They said the clues were comparable in difficulty to the bottom two rows of the Double Jeopardy round - so harder than the average game clue.  We did not have to answer in the form of a question.

At the end (maybe 50 or so questions), the collected the answer sheets and we all watched a rerun of the show while they went off and graded.  They said they could not tell us how many you needed to get right to pass.

About 60 people took the test.  The producers came back and told us 12 had passed and that was an unusually high number.  They read off the 12 names (I made it) and we came down to the floor.  Everyone else was sent home.

Then they had an audition where we played a mock game.  We held bells and literally rang the bell when we wanted to answer.  It was a pretty short audition and then they said 6 people passed and the other 6 were sent home.  I was among those sent home.  Whether the ones who passed made it on to the show or had to go through another audition - I don't know.

In retrospect I think I was trying too hard to smile during the mock game - they said to show personality.  Or (more probably) the others were just better players.

About a year later I took the test again.  They had moved to a different studio, but the process was the same.  Again, about 60 people took the test. This time only 2 passed, and I was not one of the two.

I figured that two times was enough.  While I am good at trivia compared to most people I know I concluded I was not good enough to get on Jeopardy!  Still a fan, though.

• Love 6
On 8/27/2017 at 6:00 PM, Jesse said:

I don't recall getting to take a picture with Alex

I believe I've heard other earlier contestants say that also.  I wonder when those pictures started.  I know sometimes they're used by local TV stations (along with the whole "Hometown Howdies", if they still do that)  Now, with social media and blogs and the like, we can often see those pictures for many contestants, but did the pictures start because people had outlets to post them (and, thus, advertise the show), or were they there beforehand and we can just find them more easily now.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Scott said:

I know sometimes they're used by local TV stations (along with the whole "Hometown Howdies", if they still do that)  

Oh, that's ringing a vague bell, so maybe I did!  But I didn't get a picture to take home or anything, and it was definitely pre-smart phone.

• Love 1

I actually did make it onto the show back in 2010. The show was taped in February but aired in June. I knew quite a lot of the material but couldn't catch up to the champ, who made it a runaway. The buzzer was what killed me; I just could not get the timing right. I could have sworn I was hitting it at the right moment, but the contestant coordinator told me during the first break that I was hitting it too early.  I was third going into FJ, but moved up to second by being the only one to get the correct answer. The category was "Moons and Mythology." The answer was "This planet is named for a Roman god, but its only moons are named for the sons of his Greek counterpart." It was Mars. The "only" is a big hint; you know there's more than one, but not as many as the giant planets have. I did have a momentary brain freeze and wrote Neptune, but crossed it out in time. So I walked away with $2000, my picture with Alex Trebek, and some amazing memories. 

One of the fantasies we have is that we'll go up against stupid people. My fellow contestants that week were not like that at all! Their small talk was about Coen Brothers movies. 

I've often wondered what the PreviouslyTV Jeopardy viewers and commenters would have said about me. One fellow who runs a site devoted to Jeopardy took me to task for how I wrote my name on the podium!

The experience was pretty much the same as Miss Chevious described, especially the part about the half hour speeding by. One of the most common misconceptions I've come across is that you're given some kind of handbook with material to study. Nope, nobody including the staff has any idea what the categories will be, Jeopardy was the first quiz show to be a hit after the 1950's quiz show scandals, so everyone is quite careful to avoid any appearance of favoritism.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5

I just remember being terrified to come on this site the day after I had appeared.  I hadn't told anyone I was going to be on, and I was so afraid that the comments were going to be mean about the woman in the middle.  Not that I embarrassed myself or did anything offensive.  Thankfully the harshest comment was that I shouldn't have been given credit for one of the answers I gave.

• Love 7

I hadn't told anyone I was going to be on

Aw, you should have.  I always like it if I have an extra reason to cheer someone one.   

I was on during the TWOP years and everyone there knew I was going to be on because they knew I had passed the test and had actually gone out to film.  I still remember that all I said was that I played against a very good player. 

• Love 3

I predate the rest of you who have said when you were on . . . I was on early in the Alex Trebek days (1986).  The guy who beat me was an oncologist who went on to qualify for the Tournament of Champions.  I came in second for the day - winning a washer and dryer, two gold watches from Jules Jurgensen (which I still have), and lovely parting gifts.

The high spot of my appearance was when I made Alex Trebek laugh during my introductory talk with him, and he said - in front of the whole world - that he loved my sense of humor!!!

And I was delighted to get Final Jeopardy correct:  "Who was Franklin Delano Roosevelt?"  

• Love 14
On 9/7/2017 at 7:51 PM, GreekGeek said:

One fellow who runs a site devoted to Jeopardy took me to task for how I wrote my name on the podium!

ARHGHGHGHGH ... I remember the days of the J! site ... most of the folks on the chat board there were nice and supportive but a few were complete jerks (do you remember a poster named Teddy Ruxpin?). Several of the posters there had been on and had nice runs. Teddy said I was "mannish" looking (not that there's anything wrong with that but it was definitely meant as an insult). He was taken to task by senior members and he slunk away into the night after that.

I took the test in DC and passed ... I'd say out of approximately 250 people (five sessions, 50 or so people each) maybe 20 or so people passed onto the "live" audition ... I recognized two people who went on air before I was called to go on (neither surprised me, I called they'd go on just watching them). Also, the WaPo was there that day and did a big feature on us so I ended up on the front page of Style. 

I think I auditioned in July 2001, got the call in January 2002 and aired in June 2002. I was a one-and-done because I chickened out buzzing in on an answer I KNEW (no one got it) but thought it couldn't possibly be that easy, then pooched the math on the final Daily Double (last clue on the board on Double J) ... just totally brain-froze and actually said (what I thought was sotto voce but the close-captioning picked it up) "Math class is hard, said Teen Barbie." And had I answered "Macbeth" the math would have been easy ... but didn't bet enough to take the lead AND be safe if I got it wrong so underbet and got it right. Got FJ right as well, so ended up with over 24,000 points but still finished second. Ignominious ending. I walked up and down the boardwalk for hours crying. The Scottish Play ended up being bad luck for this former drama major indeed.

Lots of people thought I'd won $24,000. Hrumph. Won $2,000, bought a (Sony) laptop, and two months later sneezed a mouthful of wine on the keyboard and fried the motherboard. Sort of fitting. 

And I confess I can't watch it anymore. Had been watching it since I was 4 with my mom and to this day I can't watch. I still have occasional recurring dreams that I get to go back on and redeem myself. 

• Love 6

How do you choose your interview stories?  You suggest some and Alex picks one, right?  Presumably you want to choose some stories that make you sound intelligent but not bragging?  Or humorous but not too foolish?

5 hours ago, Driad said:

How do you choose your interview stories? 

Google Trebek's life history and choose something you have in common with him. He will appreciate the opportunity to steal take over give you the spotlight for a great interview.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:56 AM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Also, the WaPo was there that day and did a big feature on us so I ended up on the front page of Style. 

Were you interviewed by Dan Zak?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Driad said:

How do you choose your interview stories?  You suggest some and Alex picks one, right?  Presumably you want to choose some stories that make you sound intelligent but not bragging?  Or humorous but not too foolish?

I will never make it on the show, but if I did one of my stories (the only one I would need, no doubt) would be that my twin daughters are named after their 5x great-aunts who are the only other twins in that family tree. They were French, and their names are very beautifully Frenchy, which Alex would certainly hone in on in order to pronounce their names in all of their French glory. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Google Trebek's life history and choose something you have in common with him. He will appreciate the opportunity to steal take over give you the spotlight for a great interview.

Were you interviewed by Dan Zak?

Because math class is hard and memory is harder, it was my bad ... not the WaPo but another Virginia paper ... maybe Richmond? I have a yellowed copy somewhere. I'm so sorry! Honestly, I've tried hard to erase the whole thing from my memory. 

Re: interview subjects, they ask you to list interesting or unusual things about yourself and then spring one on you while you're live on the air. I had a somewhat unusual job so I wasn't surprised to be asked about it. 

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 3:59 PM, Driad said:

These days, before you go out to tape, they send you a form.  Well, they send you a bunch of forms, but the particular form I'm talking about asks various questions designed to elicit possible stories.  Questions like What is you funniest travel memory?, What is a mistake that no one will let you forget?, What is the most romantic thing that's ever happened to you?, How did you meet your spouse or partner?  Things like that.  This is in addition to a page which just says List five interesting facts about yourself.

When it's your time to play the game, the contestant coordinators will pick three of your stories to put on the little card that Alex has during the interview.  They go over the three stories with you beforehand, so that you're not completely blindsided, and you have a chance to say, "No, don't use that one," if you've decided that it makes you look bad.  If you're lucky enough to win, for your next game they replace the story that's already been used with a fresh one.

You can choose which of the three you would most like to talk about, and they will indicate that on the card.  But Alex will ask you about whichever one he wants to, regardless of the one you've chosen.  For example, my "preferred" story was always about our plans to drive Route 66.  Alex didn't ask me about that until my fourth and final game!

• Love 3

My life is very dull so I would have to make something up. Or borrow a story from a friend or family member. Or something from a song or movie. "So...once I was in a gala...I mean country, yeah, that's the ticket, I was in a country far, far away..." 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ABay said:

My life is very dull so I would have to make something up. Or borrow a story from a friend or family member. Or something from a song or movie. "So...once I was in a gala...I mean country, yeah, that's the ticket, I was in a country far, far away..." 

Or "I'm part of a message board that rips the %^*# out of Alex Trebek"

"Good for you"

• Love 13
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

WTHeck, @j5cochran, you are only telling us this NOW? You'd better let us know when your episode(s) will air. I hope it all was fun and positive, regardless of how you did. Once your eps have aired, I'll have plenty of questions!

Well, I didn't tell anyone (outside of family and close friends) before the taping, in case I ended up doing a Wolf Blitzer imitation.  After consultation with MrAtoz, I decided to let the word get out. I was better than Blitzer and worse than Ken Jennings! My episode(s) starts on January 16. 

The experience was wonderful.  The folks at the Sony Studios are so friendly and nice -- they want you to succeed as much as you do.  You catch a bus at the recommended hotel at about 7:00 am, and the first episode doesn't start taping until about 10:00.  In between, you fill out paperwork, get made up (I looked mahvelous!), and spend a hour or so on stage, playing the game in shifts, recording Hometown Howdies (buzz in, "Who is J5Cochran?", "That's me!"), and just getting comfortable with the whole situation.  I was much more anxious before the auditions (four times!) than before appearing on the show.

The other contestants are a great bunch as well. They were from all over the country, and ranged from early thirties to mid-sixties (that would be me!). 

What else do y'all want to know?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, j5cochran said:

What else do y'all want to know?

OMGosh, so exciting. I'm interested in the categories you got, but of course you can't tell us that. If studying and practicing with the toilet-paper holder helped you buzz in, if you got beaten to the buzzer when you knew the answer ... and WHEW! when you were going to be wrong! Did you watch all the old episodes to get a feel for commonalities that are always asked.

More importantly: Did they feed you? Craft services? Ha ha. Did you have to pay for your own lodging or did they put you in a hotel. Limo to the studio? Or did you have to hike/bike/Uber? Did you stay after you left the panel (even if it was days and days you were champ) or did you skee-daddle after you lost? I only assume you lost because you are back here. You might have been gone for months during filming!

Did you get any souvenirs? Everyone gets their pic with Trebek. Was he nice to you or did he highjack your interview? I guess we'll have to wait and see that for ourselves. That's AFTER-your-episodes-air gossip. Ha ha!

And: Did you have to stand on a box? And did staff recommend what to wear? Can't wait to root for you. Thanks for sharing your adventure. It must have been difficult to not tell the world you actually got on the show. My brain is not worthy of even knowing yours.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

OMGosh, so exciting. I'm interested in the categories you got, but of course you can't tell us that. If studying and practicing with the toilet-paper holder helped you buzz in, if you got beaten to the buzzer when you knew the answer ... and WHEW! when you were going to be wrong! Did you watch all the old episodes to get a feel for commonalities that are always asked.

More importantly: Did they feed you? Craft services? Ha ha. Did you have to pay for your own lodging or did they put you in a hotel. Limo to the studio? Or did you have to hike/bike/Uber? Did you stay after you left the panel (even if it was days and days you were champ) or did you skee-daddle after you lost? I only assume you lost because you are back here. You might have been gone for months during filming!

Did you get any souvenirs? Everyone gets their pic with Trebek. Was he nice to you or did he highjack your interview? I guess we'll have to wait and see that for ourselves. That's AFTER-your-episodes-air gossip. Ha ha!

And: Did you have to stand on a box? And did staff recommend what to wear? Can't wait to root for you. Thanks for sharing your adventure. It must have been difficult to not tell the world you actually got on the show. My brain is not worthy of even knowing yours.

Let's see . . . what can I answer now, before the broadcast?

I practiced with the Jeopardy! pen that you get when you audition for the show.  It is a really good simulation of the real buzzer. After the latest audition (my fourth, but I had a good feeling after this one), I spent some time looking at the questions on http://www.j-archive.com/ -- a good place to review, but I didn't have the time to go through the entire archive.  After I got The Call, I reviewed the usual categories, state and national capitols, Shakespeare's plays, American presidents, etc.  There's a lot of useful information in http://www.pisspoor.com/jep.html - Karl Coryat's So You Want To Be A Jeopardy Contestant.  I didn't spend hours a day, with flash cards and review lists, as some former contestants have done.  I know what I know and what I don't know. There was no way I was going to learn baseball statistics or Taylor Swift songs in four short weeks!

When you arrive at the studio, they have snacks and bottled water in the green room. If you stick around long enough, they give you a ticket for lunch in the commissary. I paid for my own travel and hotel -- thank heavens for all of that work travel -- I used frequent flyer miles and brought my 95-year-old mother and two sisters with me. Jeopardy provides a bus to the studio for contestants, if you stay in one of their two recommended hotels. You're on your own when you return to the hotel!

Souvenirs -- everyone gets another Jeopardy! pen, a blue tote bag that says Jeopardy! on the side, and a really nice baseball cap. Of course, it says Jeopardy on the front, and Get A Clue! on the back! Loads of advertising! Everyone gets their picture with Alex (we're on a first name basis ;-), though I haven't received mine yet.

As for standing on a box . . . well, that was a surprise to me!  The cameramen want everyone to be at approximately the same height, so one would expect a box.  One would be wrong! There are teeny, tiny elevators behind each podium, that raises the floor so that you are all the same height.  Before your game starts, everyone steps on the white box outline, and you are lifted up!  It was really cool!

Clothes -- they send you recommendations with your invitation email (after The Call!).  They want somewhat dressy clothing, no solid white, no small and busy patterns, and dress appropriately for the season of the broadcast, not the current time (though there isn't a whole lot of difference between November and January clothes for me).

• Love 8

So interesting @j5cochran, thanks for the scoopage. I love all the minute details, "inquiring minds want to know." I am looking forward to Jan. 13! That's cool you were able to take your mom and sisters. Did they get in the audience? I know the studio isn't large, not a lot of seating. The show used to solicit tourists to fill the seats, I went to some tapings when I was approached at an LA tourist spot and given tickets, but that was Before Your Time all you young whippersnappers.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

So interesting @j5cochran, thanks for the scoopage. I love all the minute details, "inquiring minds want to know." I am looking forward to Jan. 13! That's cool you were able to take your mom and sisters. Did they get in the audience? I know the studio isn't large, not a lot of seating. The show used to solicit tourists to fill the seats, I went to some tapings when I was approached at an LA tourist spot and given tickets, but that was Before Your Time all you young whippersnappers.

If you let the show know in advance, friends and family of contestants get reserved seating and early entry.  You can designate up to six guests.  However, you are warned not to look at or speak to your guests until after you have appeared (or the end of the day!). And they are warned the same thing.  Contestants do get to enter the studio and watch the game, so it's kind of silly to watch the contestants and guests very carefully avoiding one another's eyes!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, j5cochran said:

If you let the show know in advance, friends and family of contestants get reserved seating and early entry.  You can designate up to six guests.  However, you are warned not to look at or speak to your guests until after you have appeared (or the end of the day!). And they are warned the same thing.  Contestants do get to enter the studio and watch the game, so it's kind of silly to watch the contestants and guests very carefully avoiding one another's eyes!

Yep, friends and family have their own section, fairly close to (but not with) the section for the contestants.  And indeed, we were given strict instructions not to make any sort of eye contact with our loved ones.  The exact instruction that I recall was "ignore their asses!"

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

The exact instruction that I recall was "ignore their asses!"

"And their eyes, too!"

Question: Sometimes when a player is going to ask for the reveal of a clue, he/she will look to his/her left. I've always thought it was to check how much money each contestant has. But can either of you tell me what that person really is looking at? I see it happen often. Is there a scoreboard where players can see how much $ each has?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Question: Sometimes when a player is going to ask for the reveal of a clue, he/she will look to his/her left. I've always thought it was to check how much money each contestant has. But can either of you tell me what that person really is looking at? I see it happen often. Is there a scoreboard where players can see how much $ each has?

Just to the left of the game board are the player scores, so when you get a Daily Double, or at the end of the game, you use that for figuring out your wager.  Truthfully, I never looked at it except in those circumstances, and during the commercial breaks. I think that players who watch the scores aren't paying enough attention to playing the game!

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Just to the left of the game board are the player scores, so when you get a Daily Double, or at the end of the game, you use that for figuring out your wager.  Truthfully, I never looked at it except in those circumstances, and during the commercial breaks. I think that players who watch the scores aren't paying enough attention to playing the game!

I honestly think that that's at least part of the reason that I lost my fourth game--I was watching the scores too closely.  That is, I was very conscious of when I was falling behind, and I remember sometimes feeling like I just had to catch up.  That, I think, led me to ring in and guess on a few clues that I really should have just laid off of.  I ended up just getting myself further behind.

• Love 4
On 12/12/2018 at 11:50 PM, j5cochran said:

As for standing on a box . . . well, that was a surprise to me!  The cameramen want everyone to be at approximately the same height, so one would expect a box.  One would be wrong! There are teeny, tiny elevators behind each podium, that raises the floor so that you are all the same height.  Before your game starts, everyone steps on the white box outline, and you are lifted up!  It was really cool!

Now  that's the kind of insider information that inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by SoMuchTV
Typo? Rogue auto correct? I dunno
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Can't wait to root for you @j5cochran! I love the inside scoop about the elevators in the floor. Hope you got a GFY! 

It's kinda weird, but I have no idea if I got a GFY!  Parts of the experience are clear as a bell, but most of the game memories are a blur.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I love the inside scoop about the elevators in the floor. Hope you got a GFY! 

@Toothbrush, if you go back in one of these threads, someone posted photos of the backs and inside of the contestant podium. It shows the standing blocks at different heights, and there are also telephones -- a poster here questioned what they are for. Not sure which thread the photos are in, but there are at least two if I remember correctly. They might be from when MrAtoz was a player.

There should be a Jeopardy category about this PTV thread.

• Love 1

Yay for doing so well! When you auditioned did you plan on qualifying for the Teachers Tournament? I mean, I guess I always thought that was a separate audition, but this makes more sense.

Any idea how long it'll be before they let you know?

• Love 1

@teebax, I'm so happy to hear all went well. Plus you have two chances to get on, so Double the Pleasure, Double your Fun, It's Teebax, Teebax, Teebax who won! (Apologies to Mr. Wrigley)

That's also cool you met others from your town. Now you can have Jeopardy viewing parties, like there are Bachelor viewing parties (ha ha). How many were at your audition? You figured you did well on the online test, and you were correct, so I figure you are going to get "The Call."

How many were at the audition? Did you ask how many were being tested again after the online test?

Congrats all the way around. (You can use the story of your bratty ratty smart-alexy student for your interview with Trebek!)

• Love 2

The pool is for 18 months, so they can call at any time, but they try to give about a month's notice. They pull teachers tournament contestants from the regular pool. There was a gentleman who was upset he didn't qualify for the tournament because he teaches in a prison and not a school. You have to be teaching full-time in a school. The grade range is from grades K through 12.

There were about 30 in my audition group. There was another group coming in right after we finished. It took about 2 1/2 hours.

Mock games were played using the actual buzzers. Buzzer mashing is instructed. They also told us not to say full category names. Players who said "I'll take (blank) for (dollar amount) were lightly scolded and reminded to keep it moving. Don't say please or I'll take. Don't say I'll take African Countries for six hundred, just say  Countries for six.

I mentioned that I prefer starting at the tops and was told Alex does too. I already knew that, but it was nice to hear. 

We were all tested in person after the online test. I assume that's to ferret out any cheaters. We weren't given our scores but were given time to chat amongst ourselves while they graded our score sheets. That's why I'm confident in how I did. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. It was fun, and I highly recommend auditioning. My studying paid off. There were three questions that I got correct because of my studying! 

Sorry if this is scattered. I just got home, and I'm mentally spent. Lol. 

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, teebax said:

They also told us not to say full category names. Players who said "I'll take (blank) for (dollar amount) were lightly scolded and reminded to keep it moving. Don't say please or I'll take. Don't say I'll take African Countries for six hundred, just say  Countries for six.

That admonition certainly wears off by the time many of them get to a game.  Did it seem to have an effect in real time, at least, that offenders quit doing it for the rest of the mock game(s)?

Congratulations on doing so well, @teebax, and I hope to see you on the show.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, j5cochran said:

@teebax -- Bravo!  I hope you get the call! When you do (note the optimism!), let us know, and give us the story of your Jeopardy journey.

Thanks, Jill! 

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

That admonition certainly wears off by the time many of them get to a game.  Did it seem to have an effect in real time, at least, that offenders quit doing it for the rest of the mock game(s)?

@teebax

Oh, there were people who didn't get it. I had no problem because that's how I call categories when I play at home (working through the j archive). 

They said they're looking for contestants who came to play, so I think it's important to heed their advice. 

• Love 5

I don't understand how anyone couldn't get that. Seems like pretty clear advice. I do understand some people not being able to shake the habit of saying "Please."

Did you have to provide your interview stories at this point?

• Love 4
16 hours ago, teebax said:

There was a gentleman who was upset he didn't qualify for the tournament because he teaches in a prison and not a school.

That would make an great story if he gets selected.

16 hours ago, teebax said:

My studying paid off. There were three questions that I got correct because of my studying! 

Are you able to tell us those questions or the categories? And the categories in your practice game? Shakespeare, Opera ... HAMILTON? Ha ha.

Did the show tell you where to stay while in LA? I assume you have to pay for your own digs. Did the show feed you while at the studio? I always want to know those important things.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I have provided my stories, but they didn't ask about them. They wanted to know how we'd spend our winnings, besides paying off bills. I said I'd do a radical remake of my classroom to bring it into the 21st century. 

They didn't feed us, and we weren't in the studio. We were in a hotel in Culver City. I stayed there, but most didn't. It was about $220 a night, so I don't blame them. However, it was pouring rain, so I was glad I chose to stay at the same place as the audition. 

We received clicky pens to practice with and earbuds in a Jeopardy pouch. Apparently if you make the show you get a discounted room, but the only discount I got was AARP thanks to my mom going with me. The show will pay for your travel if you win on Wednesday and have to come back on Tuesday, the next taping day. They mentioned it became a huge deal when Ken was on his winning streak. 

• Love 3

So interesting @teebax, thanks. I just KNOW you will make it onto the show. I cannot wait to root for you.

Your reply about using the money for your classroom is just perfect for Teachers Tournament!

Being from Tucson and staying in LA, I doubt you have packable rain gear, or any rain gear at all. Some days it's nice to not have to go outside.

@j5cochran, in the games you watched after yours, were there categories that you wished you would have had? You were so strong in your game I can't imagine another being better. But what were your thoughts watching players after you, was the board kinder or harsher to your knowledge bank?

1 hour ago, teebax said:

The show will pay for your travel if you win on Wednesday and have to come back on Tuesday, the next taping day.

Wow, that's a long break. Who knew.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

@j5cochran, in the games you watched after yours, were there categories that you wished you would have had? You were so strong in your game I can't imagine another being better. But what were your thoughts watching players after you, was the board kinder or harsher to your knowledge bank?

I don't remember categories that I loved or hated in the Thursday or Friday games, but I really wanted those Final Jeopardy clues!  I got both of them right, including the TS of Regis Philbin.

Timing in life is everything!

• Love 8