Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E18: Lost at Sea

• Start Topic

Well, I cried.

Sorry for their loss :(.

Sig tapped out, the two new guys on Jake's deck tapped out. Understandable. Definitely a depressing episode. 

Did we even see Wild Bill finish his season? I can't remember watching him wrap up his season. Same with Sean.

Discovery, if you're reading this, please pull the plug on this show. Johnathan's retired, Jake just had his new deckhands tap out, Sig tapped out. Just be done. Yeah it'd be a depressing finale (?is this even the finale?) of sorts but it needs to happen. Lots of episodes I could have skipped because nothing happened in them. I'm not asking for drama, because i know it's basically up in the air on what's gonna happen when they're out there fishing (and i'd rather see them all safe, too), but in terms of tv content...I was ready to tap out of this show by episode 10. Quite a few of the episodes could have been condensed, imo.

Either pull the plug or chop the number of episodes in half please. Down to 12-15 at most. This season made me weary. I'm ready to be done. I feel tired...just like all the captains and most of the deckhands. :/

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Discovery, if you're reading this, please pull the plug on this show. Johnathan's retired, Jake just had his new deckhands tap out, Sig tapped out. Just be done. Yeah it'd be a depressing finale (?is this even the finale?) of sorts but it needs to happen. Lots of episodes I could have skipped because nothing happened in them. I'm not asking for drama, because i know it's basically up in the air on what's gonna happen when they're out there fishing (and i'd rather see them all safe, too), but in terms of tv content...I was ready to tap out of this show by episode 10. Quite a few of the episodes could have been condensed, imo.

Either pull the plug or chop the number of episodes in half please. Down to 12-15 at most. This season made me weary. I'm ready to be done. I feel tired...just like all the captains and most of the deckhands. :/

I really agree with this.  I feel this way because I've been watching this show since 2006; however I don't know if most viewers of this show have been watching for that long.  I definitely think the number of episodes could be cut down.

To me, what happened with this show was this:  Discovery tried to make the Harris brother happen, they didn't happen.  They tried their luck with Elliot and Jr and it didn't work.  I think they might have a winner with Sean and maybe even Jake, since many viewers have watched him through the years.  

The truth is, all TV shows have to end eventually.  Discovery hit pay dirt with these captains, Sig, Keith, Phil, Jon and Andy; but now Phil is dead, Andy doesn't fish anymore, Jon has retired and Sig might just retire or semi retire.  Discovery tried with other fisheries but either people didn't watch, or something else happened (although I really liked the sword fishery in the North Atlantic).  Maybe they should come back in ten years with new boats and new captains.

• Love 3

Next week is the season finale. 

I lost it when Sig was in tears. Yeah. I can't deal with it. So sad. ?

And the Geico ad after the end was completely tasteless. Who the hell decided to show that one?? 

• Love 4

Sig has earned the right to call his shot.  Full stop.

But, did he really do that?  Too many Disco edit monkeys and interference have jaded me.  I'm not buying.  If he really did?  Safe travels and all good wishes.

Any sailor has the absolute right to quit.  The Saga duo, however, may not have made a pure safety decision.  They were having a lousy season and working their butts off for virtually nothing.  Opilio is no fun at all.  Jake is not exactly a seasoned salt o' the sea now, is he?  If the timing is as was depicted, there would be others whose season was just ending who Jake could bring onboard for that last harvest.  A quick buck or three is typically welcome - and this ain't cod fishing, either.  

So it took three days to find the EPIRB?  Huh?  Or, is it the case that the last two days were devoted to recovery of the lost?  More Disco slanting truth unnecessarily.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

So it took three days to find the EPIRB?  Huh?  Or, is it the case that the last two days were devoted to recovery of the lost?  More Disco slanting truth unnecessarily.

I think it was just editing. The same boat that picked up the life ring also found the EPIRB. I doubt it hung around for three days helping out the CG. The debris field didn't look that large and the helo would have been able to go right to the signal with their receiver. I remember following the search in real time because one of the crew members was from my city and the search went on for a few days after finding where the boat went down.

• Love 1

This was heartbreaking. A brief Google search turned up a bit more on the sinking from a Seattle newspaper in August. They found her resting on her port side in 250' of water. Remains of the crew were not found. One pot was taken off the wreck by the Coast Guard and analyzed, and like others used on the show, they clocked in well over 800 pounds. The safety drawings for that vessel were done in 1993, and were based on 600 pound pots.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/coast-guard-hearing-icy-spray-heavy-pots-may-have-doomed-crab-boat/

To my layman's understanding, it sounds like they might have been top-heavy, beyond the load ratings. Probably just fine when not in heavy icing conditions but in freezing spray and high winds, it's an engraved invitation from Davy Jones. Keith has repeatedly pointed out in seasons past, when he's had a heavy deck and it starts blowing 50 and with heavy ice accretion, Bad Things can happen if you take a rogue wave or have steering problems.

If anything, I hope this summer has given the skippers a chance to re-evaluate their vessels' capabilities in those conditions and have new stability documents prepared. As an airman, I look at FAA Airworthiness Directives and various other bulletins not as an annoying hindrance to flight, but as a means to keeping my birds in the sky and getting me back to my wonderful wife. I'm sure there's a similar thing for mariners and the Coast Guard and various state agencies. Again, comparing this to aviation, there's a critical aspect of flight planning that pilots ignore at their own, and everyone else's peril. Weight and balance. There are published charts for every airplane that show maximum weights for takeoff, and the placement and distribution of passengers, fuel, and cargo, In something like a small Cessna the pilot has to calculate the maximum weights he can take, and where those weights have to be located--meaning the gorgeous babe might have to sit in the back while her heavier father sits up front, for example, and those charts must be followed or the flight is both dangerous and illegal.

When I worked on the railroad we had a saying: Every rule (in the official rulebook) is written in blood. As it must also be on the Sea, and in the air.

• Love 3
On 8/22/2017 at 10:26 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Well, I cried.

Sorry for their loss :(.

Sig tapped out, the two new guys on Jake's deck tapped out. Understandable. Definitely a depressing episode. 

Did we even see Wild Bill finish his season? I can't remember watching him wrap up his season. Same with Sean.

I could not agree more. The show is long since past its prime.