Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E02: An Unconventional Recycling

Drogo
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I didn't mind Kenya's puffy sleeves. I kinda figured they were a device to show some serious construction skills with newspaper, of all things. Heck, I think puffy gathered sleeves are tricky to set in when they're made of FABRIC!

I've been seeing a lot more gathered sleeves for the fall. First the small gathers, then the giant poufs. Then the shoulder pads.  That's where we're headed if the 80s are proof of past performance predicting future results.

I fondly remember this great bateau neck, 3/4 length sleeve, made of dusty rose and grey striped jersey I had back in the 80s. It had the small gathering on the shoulders.  Just enough for a little pouf. Sigh. 

But I liked the poufy, gathered, newsprint shirtwaist dress. I would 100% rock that.

• Love 11

I don't have time to read all the comments right now--- I look forward to it! Soo many red borders, looks like you guys really brought it! *snap!*

So, about the model Kylie being "curvy" & overwhelming the shaved twin--- I re-wound & checked. Her measurements are 36-31.5-44. I was like, hm. I broke out the tape measure. I'm 36-30-40. I wear a size 6 dress! If "curvy" = "plus-sized," that woman is not it! Shaved twin needs to get her life together. I'm glad the 2 judges called her out for it.

Also, where was the cheating scandal I was promised?! I guess last week's preview could occur anytime during the season. Rats! 

• Love 6
On 8/24/2017 at 10:20 PM, notcreative enough said:

What is the model/fashion definition of curvy? Because I view breasts as one of women's curves. So if the twins design for pop stars they are telling my that none of them have boobs and or an ass. That Katy Perry doesn't have curves. 

That's a great question because I feel like the goalposts are being moved constantly when it comes to the actual definition of curvy. I've always been under the impression that curvy means an hourglass shape. That's it.

10 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

I'm glad the 2 judges called her out for it.

Also, where was the cheating scandal I was promised?! I guess last week's preview could occur anytime during the season. Rats! 

I was glad that Anne and Michelle called out Shawn. 

I, too, wondered where this cheating scandal occurred. I hate it when the editors pull that nonsense.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, greenbean said:

How are you meant to describe the model if curvy is off limits, or are you not meant to to describe her at all?

There's no need ro describe the model on the runway. The judges can see. 

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, roctavia said:

They also don't need to describe the model because their body shape is not an excuse for a crappy garment. Even the size zero models are not the exact same shape, it's not like any of the contestants are saying "I've never made an outfit for someone so tall/short before, I've never made an outfit for someone with A cup breasts, I've never designed for someone with that dark of skin before" etc. they aren't using the model's shape/appearance as an excuse, which is the problem with what Shawn has been saying.

She had a breakdown in the workroom because her model wasn't a size zero, you can't do that in this competition, especially this season when there are models of all body types. She used the 'curvy' model as her reason why she made a bad outfit, and the judges could see it was a bullshit excuse and called her out for it. Yes, it takes more skill to design for an actual body and not a hanger, but this is a competition of skill, if you don't have it, you go home.

Quoted for truth. 

• Love 7

From what I've read, the twins designed ONE dress that Katy Perry wore during her "California Dreams" tour.....that was in 2011......And Shawn did her brief internship with Betsey Johnson before that, so Cue Ball (thanks, @shksabelle!) needs to stop pretending she's relevant now, STFU and sew.  Just my opinion.  

• Love 21
22 hours ago, dleighg said:

God, yes. How do you blow your nose with those hideous things?

Not. That. Difficult. Really. I see this comment so often. No, a septum ring doesn't make it difficult to blow your nose. I promise. 

As for the autism excuses being thrown around, I just can't agree with that. First, doing armchair diagnosis is not my thing. Most importantly, giving every asshole on TV the excuse of ASD does nothing good for people who actually have ASD diagnoses. People with autism don't throw on a different persona depending on whom they are speaking to. That's just the pretentiousness of these particular neurotypical twins. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, azshadowwalker said:

As for the autism excuses being thrown around, I just can't agree with that. First, doing armchair diagnosis is not my thing. Most importantly, giving every asshole on TV the excuse of ASD does nothing good for people who actually have ASD diagnoses. People with autism don't throw on a different persona depending on whom they are speaking to. That's just the pretentiousness of these particular neurotypical twins. 

^^^ Agreed. Autism is the current go-to disorder, just like the last one was bi-polar and before that was ADHD.  People seizing onto a real and debilitating condition, then co-opting it to try & excuse their poor performance & bad behavior.  Idiots. 

We don't know the twins are actually doing that, but some people do.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 13

I appreciate articulation in people, but the twins ARE affected and histrionic (sorry another armchair dx) Funny Shawn could not bother to dress professionally for a presentation, but yeah that bright lipstick is always on. 

As for PR's very diverse PC casting, in another vane, (I've caught the twins' disease!) "So You Think You Can Dance" once decided that urban street dancers were on the same plane as trained ballet dancers and ballroom dancers in terms of OVERALL dance skill. Many fell apart unable to do any traditional choreography, Some COULD do some contemporary. But it seemed silly when they are looking for the best dancer. Ballet dancers for the most part can do any other kind of dance. IMHO.

Similarly, (I've caught the twins' disease!) the show casts people they really WANT to overcome handicap, misfortune, bullying, racism etc. BUT THEY DON'T. Sentell, a dancer, decides to became a designer and they so WANT him to succeed over the ones that can cut a pattern, fit, drape and sew.

I once hired an inexperienced "urban" graphic designer, thinking he could do it maybe. Wanting to give him a chance. Wrong.

Sentell seemed so clueless on top of tasteless. Yup. He was quickly auffed. There have got to be so many really talented (yet--sorry--white and comfortable) people out there that will never get this chance. The show would be richer and maybe even meaningful with more true fashion designers casted as opposed to quotas for skin colors, religions, quirks, and gender fluidity. Indeed. Indeed. Heh.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 7:52 PM, rustyspigot said:

Cue balls' model is skinnier than she is. I guess we all can't rock a "Millennial AF" sweatshirt like she can.

And what was up with the shorts she was wearing under them?!? Looked like she'd just wrapped a bunch of strings around her herself.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RubyRena17 said:

There have got to be so many really talented (yet--sorry--white and comfortable) people out there that will never get this chance. The show would be richer and maybe even meaningful with more true fashion designers casted as opposed to quotas for skin colors, religions, quirks, and gender fluidity. Indeed. Indeed. Heh.

In defense of the casting on the show (although, like other reality shows they cast quite a lot based on personality type and potential to create drama), well connected, white, comfortably supported, pretty people are granted access to entry level positions in fashion at a much higher rate than others.  They can take unpaid internships and perhaps know people in the big fashion brands. They live near to New York and are able to get exposure to the business in that way. 

They may not have as much use for a vehicle like "Project Runway" than someone like Jay McCarroll or Ashley Tipton or others who have come from less advantaged backgrounds or more remote places. Almost every season we get representation from those who are succeeding at their business to one degree or another, but it's not the majority. 

• Love 19
On 8/25/2017 at 11:57 AM, 2727 said:

How could those huge puffed sleeves on the newsprint dress go unremarked by the judges? They were ridiculous. Shirtwaist dresses with full skirts should be banned from the show, anyway, just for being so unimaginative. Unless the designer yearns to work for ModCloth, of course.

That silhouette looks like the dresses I used to wear with Petticoats when I was square dancing.

• Love 4
On 8/25/2017 at 0:02 PM, katalizt said:

If they actually wanted to draw attention to sustainable fashion, talk about the process and give them a selection of actual recycled fabrics to work with. Not literal trash.

The did what you suggested years ago.  It may have been the year LeAnne won.  
As edited, the gaggle went to Mood to pick sustainable (or whatever the buzz word was that year) fabrics, and came back to the work room.
Surprise. surprise.

They only had like three colors of fabric to work with; a dark brown, a dark green, and something else equally boring.

There was much discussion about why they chose such uninspiring colors.

It was only mentioned later that they had only five or six bolts of fabric to choose from.  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Not. That. Difficult. Really. I see this comment so often. No, a septum ring doesn't make it difficult to blow your nose. I promise. 

Thank you. Very well said.

Mom of young adult with ASD. Former facilitator of a parent support group. Sister of older man with Asperger's. Please do not put those two worthless drama queens in the same category as my loved ones.

• Love 20

Like most, at first I was hoping to see Shawn go, and agree that she and sis' can be a tad annoying. So it's a bit strange to find myself defending her, in some measure anyway. I have to remind myself that these episodes are primarily challenges, and some of the better designers through the years have been in equal parts unbearable. I don't think Shawn's design was the worst, nor do I find her intentionally mean, as many contestants have been in the past. I actually think she and her sister are fairly authentic, and not purposefully affected. That doesn't mean they aren't grating, or annoying at points, but is that a reason to want someone to go home? Sentell was far and away the bottom of the barrel last night, though I'm not certain we've seen enough from anyone yet to know what their real skill level is. But more than anything I have a problem with these team challenges. For all the talk about design being collaborative, it certainly isn't in the sense of the forced group think we see on PR. Staff that work in a top designer house certainly collaborate, but all are subordinates. Project Runway is looking for designers with individual voices, and those without a specific point of view are constantly reminded they need to find a clear identity as a designer. You would never have Michael Kors, Issac Mizrahi, Zac Posen, Karl Lagerfeld and Vivienne Westwood thrown together and asked to come up with a cohesive selection in a day or two. It would be disaster, and rightly so, just as these team challenges always are. Each season I hope we've seen the last of them, but sadly they allow for easy tricks and drama...."who do you think should go home" and other nonsense.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

The did what you suggested years ago.  It may have been the year LeAnne won.  
As edited, the gaggle went to Mood to pick sustainable (or whatever the buzz word was that year) fabrics, and came back to the work room.
Surprise. surprise.

They only had like three colors of fabric to work with; a dark brown, a dark green, and something else equally boring.

There was much discussion about why they chose such uninspiring colors.

It was only mentioned later that they had only five or six bolts of fabric to choose from.  

I never saw Leanne's season so I didn't know they had done it. I know there's a lot more variety of recycled fabric available, and I would hope if they did something like this again that they would get a specialized supplier for the fabrics, not just whatever Mood happens to have.

One thing that stood out to me was that this time Tim did not say anything along the lines of "the judges don't react well to materials that resemble fabric" so I think that had a part in how few designers really transformed the materials. 

I would've picked Wabi Sabi as the winner. From Ballin' on a Budget, I didn't like Ayana's and was surprised the judges did given all that fringe. Didn't Brandon say his outfit was going to be a jumpsuit? I was disappointed when what we got was a crop top and pants. Also didn't like Aaron's. The model herself described it as a diaper.... Although I did like the transparent material with Brandon's pattern on it, and wished they had used that in other looks as well.

• Love 3

Look, I don't *hate* the twins.... I don't know them well enough to make that assessment and I'm not much of a hater type anyway, BUT they do annoy the sand out of me.

I also suspect that they are NOT individual designers, as they are claiming that they are. I think they design together and that may be the reason the buzz cut twin is failing: because her sister, who, as someone else pointed out, may be doing all the heavy lifting but now that they are each having to design a garment, there's not enough time in this limited creation period, so one of them is failing and it's pretty consistently Shawn.

I predict we'll see them on The Amazing Race next....

• Love 23

The over enunciation those twins make everytime they speak is just too much. 

INDEED lmao. I hope they go home soon. I can't bear them much longer. Hopefully they see the episodes to see how ridiculous they are and how much the fellow contestants mock them. 

What a nightmare they are Indeed lol

• Love 2

On 8/25/2017 at 4:00 PM, magpye29 said:

Are their names Jonathan and Drew?

On 8/25/2017 at 4:59 PM, Beden said:

Uh...nope.

Those are the Property Brothers from HGTV, two of the creepiest looking people ever to go on television.  I honestly avert my eyes when ads for their show come on.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Those are the Property Brothers from HGTV, two of the creepiest looking people ever to go on television.  I honestly avert my eyes when ads for their show come on.

Thanks--clearly I was clueless in my response. I'd somehow managed to have never heard of them...I get it now.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

If I had to make a guess, I'd say the "cheating" scenario has to be someone going outside the parameters of the challenge. Like, in season 2 of Top Chef when Otto forgot to pay for an ingredient in the dish and had to return it or his team would forfeit. It could be that one team (or person) ends up not having to pay for fabric that helps them win the challenge. I would consider that cheating. 

In, I think, the first season, the one with Wendy Pepper and eventual winner Jay somebody. One of the 3 finalists (forget her name, sorry) designed a kick ass collection but she'd gotten all her runway shoes from a friend who was a designer? manufacturer? for basically free. She was told flat out that she either had to take their actual prices from her budget, loose the shoes or --finally--I believe that the judges were told that the shoes couldn't be considered in their scoring. Her two competitors were both pissed as it was an unfair advantage for her to have use of the freebies. A few seasons later there was also an incredibly obnoxious fellow( again no name--I suck with names, apologies) who was discovered to have hidden pattern books and the like under his bed. A word in Tim's ear and that, along with the lad's occasional walkabouts without permission--leaving the building, unapproved phone calls and similar infractions caused him to be bounced from the show early.

Both were either close to or over the cheating line.

• Love 8

Keith Michael was the one who was booted. He was actually the frontrunner before his dismissal as he had been in the top every time and won 1 challenge

Yeah, he won the Unconventional Challenge (first challenge) using stuff from their apartment and basically made a dress from a shower curtain.  Mychael Knight, meanwhile, made a dress from coffee filters ... and got a lot of praise, but lost.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Beden said:

Thanks--clearly I was clueless in my response. I'd somehow managed to have never heard of them...I get it now.

I'm sorry, Beden, I was just making a little joke.  I can be a little too quick off the mark sometimes.  

I'm guessing since the twins have already won a reality competition show, and used their winnings to shop their own reality show pilot, I'm sure Lifetime will keep them around long enough to advertise their new show, Twins-A-Palooza!

On last-season's Food Truck Race, they included one of the Jersey Shore losers and his mom, and they had no business being on the show. And despite that, they were kept around until the finals - and coincidentally their new show premiered immediately following the finals. 

• Love 2
On 8/26/2017 at 8:06 AM, azshadowwalker said:

Wait, what? Autism -- pertaining to the twins? Oh I missed that. I so agree with the armchair diagnosis -- not cool and it has to stop. Not everyone who is different has autism.

However, I will give a non-medical armchair diagnosis: They have special snowflake syndrome. I will add in twin co-dependency. It isn't in the DSM-V and I don't think there are any ratings scales for it, but I feel pretty confident in my diagnosis. 

• Love 15

I couldn't get behind Maggie Q and the other judge blasting the contestant for her use of the word curvy in reference to that model because I don't support unearned arrogance. Like I said last week, this is their gimmick. They seem to have cast designers who would be challenged by models of many sizes, because that's part of the story they want to sell me. So it felt totally set up in the first place, and also way too early for this show to be so scold-y on this particular topic. 

I think being heated about that bled into my reaction to this challenge and the winner. I felt like they wanted me to applaud them for shining a light on a not-new concept (sustainability). And I think the win was given to a design point of view not an actual garment, which isn't new for them but is still annoying. 

I'm probably down a rabbit hole, but so far this season seems  more focused on production trying to position the show a certain way than either fashion (which I know died long ago for this franchise) or good old fashioned reality shenanigans. It's irritating the crap out of me, but I'll give it one more week. Hopefully they'll just have a basic challenge, no designer will tell me what they've never done before, and the models will just be models not tokens. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

Wait, what? Autism -- pertaining to the twins? Oh I missed that. I so agree with the armchair diagnosis -- not cool and it has to stop. Not everyone who is different has autism.

However, I will give a non-medical armchair diagnosis: They have special snowflake syndrome. I will add in twin co-dependency. It isn't in the DSM-V and I don't think there are any ratings scales for it, but I feel pretty confident in my diagnosis. 

Are you a school psychologist? Or some other kind of psychologist? Just curious. :-)

19 hours ago, Beaner said:

Thank you. Very well said.

Mom of young adult with ASD. Former facilitator of a parent support group. Sister of older man with Asperger's. Please do not put those two worthless drama queens in the same category as my loved ones.

My 17yo son has classic autism. I spend a great deal of time volunteering in the special education programs in his school. It really bothers me that this has become so common. 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Are you a school psychologist? Or some other kind of psychologist? Just curious. :-)

No, mom of a child with autism and a sped teacher of kids on the spectrum. 

I've filled out quite a few ratings scales in my day. :)  Pretentiousness and smugness has never appeared on any one I've completed.

Edited by jackjill89
  • Love 11

Did anyone else catch it when Tim said "This is your FIRST unconventional challenge"?

I thought it was funny that they were told they were going to a mysterious location where they'd need to wear protective gear and Shawn thought a flippy little miniskirt was a good idea.

shawn.thumb.jpg.31b0df5b8b4e59323f389a533cbafc23.jpg

New drinking game. Take a shot every time Ayana says MODEST. modest modest modest modest modest modest modest modest modest modest. She sounds like a damn Duggar.  

This isn't on my last nerve yet, but it's getting there. It's bad enough when a designer has a technique that's "their thing" and they go on and on in every challenge about how to incorporate "their thing" into each garment. But "modest" isn't a technique. It isn't an innovation. It isn't fresh and new. It's a new label slapped on something that is quite mundane. So please Ayana, continue to make long dresses with long sleeves, but stop going on about it as if its brilliant and unique.  

I didn't mind Kenya's puffy sleeves. I kinda figured they were a device to show some serious construction skills with newspaper, of all things. Heck, I think puffy gathered sleeves are tricky to set in when they're made of FABRIC!

I liked the dress and it was very well made, but read as Lolita cosplay to me.

Lolita.thumb.jpg.0134f67987fbf51297d7ec6705f36f75.jpg

It's worth noting that when Cha Cha called his model fat -- and she was nowhere near that -- there was a talking head montage of the contestants throwing out alternative descriptors, and curvy was one of words used. Kenya even corrected Cha Cha at the dining table, and used curvy.  That is the context Shawn was using the word in. Like I said, I think she was actually trying to be respectful. She obviously has her way of talking, where emphasis is placed on certain words. But I did not see disdain, or her acting like the model was abnormal.

I agree with this. She was being politically correct. And while political correctness can be super annoying, the point of it is to bend over backwards so as not to offend anyone ever.

I was curious as to why they didn't separate the twins. It seems like they have an emotional competitive advantage being on the same team.

That's exactly why they kept them together. How interesting that it didn't work.

There's no need ro describe the model on the runway. The judges can see.

I have to disagree with this. The varying shapes and sizes of the models is a major emphasis, if not the raison d'être of this entire season. Of course their bodies - and the associated challenges to fitting them - will be discussed ad nauseum - on the runway, in the workroom, and everywhere else.

No, a septum ring doesn't make it difficult to blow your nose. I promise.  

I'd think the challenge would be keeping the ring clean after blowing your nose. Not the act of nose blowing itself.

Took me a while, but I figured out who Aaron reminds me of. His features are similar to Paul Reubens.

aaron.thumb.jpg.a563569b7c5f6d16f148b0c2c2e3a30d.jpgpee-wee.jpg.e2a55d206829819fa4bab207a3c50a1c.jpg

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 7
On 8/25/2017 at 9:31 PM, staphdude said:

Jesus when did she get elected to speak for all curvy girls. Women, whatever their size, are individuals and are likely to have differing opinions on how they wish to style themselves.

Perhaps the person who seemed to be under the impression that curvy girls are some alien species with completely different desires than (((normal))) people could have acknowledged that.

• Love 10

Gonna jump in on the "modest" clothing. Islam is the fastest growing religion on the earth. I googled a Pew research tidbit and it mentioned that 24% of the world population is Muslim.

Not all of them choose to adhere to devout dress codes, or have the means to do so, but it appears that a number of wealthy women opt to do so. There are places (UAE) where they are compelled to do so by local legislation.

As was mentioned in the first episode thread, a few major houses are offering "modest" lines. I don't think Ayana's inclusion in the competition or design offerings are a gimmick. I see them more as an offering to a growing niche. I've googled Ayana's other designs because I quite liked another "modest" line, Hana Tajima line for Uniqlo (it's reminiscent of Jackie Kennedy's style with some modern twists). Ayana has some interesting ideas. I hope we get a chance to see them.

I often find the looks of modestly dressed Muslim women to be quite glamorous and sophisticated. They appeal to me far more than the twin's club trash aesthetic. 

• Love 24
On 8/25/2017 at 2:57 PM, 2727 said:

How could those huge puffed sleeves on the newsprint dress go unremarked by the judges? They were ridiculous. Shirtwaist dresses with full skirts should be banned from the show, anyway, just for being so unimaginative. Unless the designer yearns to work for ModCloth, of course.

I rarely rag on (or notice) the models, but I kept wishing Brandon's would tug up the belt on her pants so the material didn't pooch out so much. Doing so would have covered up the nice bit of her stomach showing under the crop top, but the droopiness bothered me more.

probs.JPG

This is so Wizard of oz.

• Love 3
On 8/24/2017 at 7:40 PM, Jordan Baker said:

The Identical Twits are insufferable.

Indeed... I imagine that they've been obnoxious all their lives and we're ignored/shunned by their peers which just allowed them to bounce their obnoxious personalities off each other in a vacuum of normalicy. 

Edited by locomoco
  • Love 10
On 8/25/2017 at 9:36 AM, luna1122 said:

Katy Perry is only 'curvy' because she has boobs. She's tiny otherwise. I am also a 'curvy' girl, so I don't the word being a euphemism for fat, it just sounds nicer, but in fashion-land, curvy doesn't mean what it means elsewhere, or what it meant orginally, anyway.

Yeah, semantically it kind of fails, as curvy isn't the opposite of tiny; people can be both at once--or neither at once. I don't have a better word to suggest though so what do I even know? However, people can stop alluding to some of us not being "real" anytime now.

God, yes. How do you blow your nose with those hideous things?

Same as everyone else, to be honest. As a person with a pierced nose (yay!) and allergy/sinus issues (fuckin' BOO!), I have no problem doing a thing I learned to do when I was 4 (though my endless neti potting might give me a "cleanliness advantage").

(Ew, just noticed an article link on the bottom of this page called "20 Clothes Middle Aged Women Should Avoid." Gross.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

Before I was born, Marilyn Monroe was "curvy."  Later it was Raquel Welch. And I guess today, that would be Sofia Vergara, under the old definition of the word. Can we all agree on one thing: not every fat woman is "curvy?"  Aren't some women just "fat?"  When did the definition of "curvy" change?

• Love 11