Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E02: An Unconventional Recycling

Drogo
  • Start Topic

I just know those twins were home-schooled because their mommy thought  they were very special and/or they got massively bullied at public school.  Twins are cool and all, and it is pretty fun to fuss over identicals (I have identical grandsons) but dear God I hope someone kicks the shit out of all of us if we ruin ours like this  

• Love 15

I really want a double auffing of the twins.

OMG, the expression from Shaun after being told hers was prom. What a bitch! And if she freaks out over the model she had, I can't wait for her to have one of the larger models.

All the looks on Team Tsunami sucked.

• Love 15

I love Maggie Q so it made me sad that she was here for this terrible challenge but then later I was so glad she was the guest judge because of her comments. LOVE that she was the first one to speak up and say that Shawn's model was not curvy and that she needs to change her perspective or she will have a hard time designing in America.

As much as I used to love the unconventional materials challenge, I loathe that it's turned into an arts and crafts challenge where the designers pick the material that's most similar to fabric and then slap on whatever they can.

On top of that, I hate group challenges with the fire of a thousands suns. I think it was ridiculous to ask for cohesion in a group challenge where they are making "high fashion" designs out of literal garbage.

Team Wabi-sabi:

I didn't like Margarita's design because the top looked way too stiff. I also didn't like the stripes of tape on the front or the plastic six pack loops on the bottom. I liked the visual effect of the vinyl over the newspaper but it was just too stiff.

I liked Kentaro's dress because it looked like a dress (as opposed to a dress made of garbage). Nothing in the design was new or innovative, but at least his model didn't look like she was wearing a pile of garbage.

I have no idea why Deyonté thought the fabric was flowing. It was definitely not anywhere close to flowing. I wasn't a fan of all the cut out slits but I appreciate that he tried to do something a little different and change the texture of the vinyl.

Similarly, I hated the slits in the legs of Kudzanai's design. I did like the patterned cutouts on the sash though. I wish he had done more of that. Hated the clear cape which was pointless.

Michael's looked the most high fashion of his group. The pattern that he made out of the plastic soda rings was really beautiful and added subtle texture. I wasn't crazy about the red faux feathers on the top but I get what he was going for.

Team Tsunami:

I know that the designers only had one day for this challenge but I still found myself wondering what Sentell spent all of his time doing because his dress looked like exactly what it was - green bags wrapped around his model. The biggest design element was the orange belt (but Samantha's looked much better).

Samantha's looked like real clothes. Shawn was being such a snotty bitch about how "every year, someone braids a top for the unconventional challenge." Well, as long as it looks good, I'd rather see that than Shawn's silver diaper from last week or the crap she semi-made this week. The halter top fit Samantha's model really well and I liked the high waisted belt with the blue vinyl woven through it. The silver skirt was kind of a throw away though.

Amy's design looked like an arts and crafts project. Hated the vinyl cape and I hated the CD skirt. The lace up detail in the back of the cape was so unnecessary.

Shawn's dress was a fucking disaster. It didn't fit her model well, it looked like it was made of garbage, and the biggest role she had in constructing it was yelling at people to do things for her. "I still need a belt! Someone cut a large piece of fabric!" She was an absolute pill to listen to during the first day in the workroom. What a fucking whiner. Boo hoo, the rest of the group came to a consensus and now they're MAKING me create something I don't like, except for the fact that I'm not actually making anything because I'm just pouting and complaining about how I don't get to do whatever I want. As far as I could see, Claire sketched something for her on the first day and then Shawn spent the entire day not doing a single thing. She's lucky that her teammates were so willing to help her the morning of the runway show or she would have had nothing to put on her model.

Claire's outfit wasn't much better. Why do these designers insist on putting the bigger models in crop tops? Is it because they don't know how to deal with boobs? The skirt looked too similar to the one she made last week too so this was an overall fail. The fabric looked so stiff. And did she learn nothing from last week when one of the designers was criticized for making a plain dress with a strip of trim running down the front? That purple decoration just made her outfit worse.

Overall, Team Tsunami's collection looked like garbage. The pieces were so simple in design, the "fabric" was too stiff, the color choices were non-existent, and their clothes looked like they were made of garbage. Samantha's was the exception - she had a nice garment that looked like a cute dress made of regular fabric.

Team Ballin' on a Budget

I did not like Batani's dress in the workroom AT ALL but after seeing the utter shite that Team Tsunami sent down the runway right before, Batani's dress looked a lot better.

I felt so bad for Aaron's model when she said that the diaper was cutting into her lady bits and the silver was actually cutting her arms. Neither the top nor the bottom looked like it fit very well and the actual shapes were very simple, but luckily I saw this after Team Tsunami so I was like hey, that's not too bad!

I liked Kenya's dress but I wish she had put one more layer of paint on top of the newsprint so that the pictures were more muted. I wasn't crazy about the puffy sleeves, but I get what she was doing with the silhouette.

Once again Brandon has put his model in a shapeless crop top. I think he really has no clue how to design for women. But I give him credit for creating that print by simply painting white rectangles on vinyl. That went a long way towards taking away the flat look of the fug brown vinyl.

Hated Ayana's fringe dress. There was nothing about it that I liked. Okay, fine. I liked the triangular faux belt she made using Brandon's rectangular print. That's it.

I totally agree that Team Tsunami was the worst. But I hate that the winner was chosen from the winning team. While Team Ballin' had the best overall collection, I didn't think any of those five designs were amazing.

Zac was channeling a 70s college professor in his grey turtleneck with a grey blazer look.

Ha, I had to laugh when Heidi pointed out Shawn throwing Amy under the bus. She knew exactly what was going on.

Sentell's dress last week was overdesigned and ugly. His dress his week was underdesigned and ugly. I wasn't surprised he was eliminated but man, I was hoping against hope that Shawn would be sent home. Realistically I knew that the show would not get rid of the twins this early in the season.

Adding to the list of the twins' annoying phrases: "IF I MAY." They sound like little girls pretending to have British high tea with their stuffed animals.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 23
3 hours ago, GaT said:

It also means "living the good life" or "living in luxury". I'm pretty sure that's how they meant it.

That's the way I took it, too. A baller has, to me, always bern someone with lots of cash-driving nice car, good vacations, expensive clothes, etc.

• Love 10

I'm shocked that I found myself agreeing with the judges order of Winning, Safe and Lowest.  I thought I was going to love Wabi Sabi's collection but I liked Ballin's just a little more.  Did Wabi Sabi Jedi Mind Trick Kentaro into believing the Japanese Samurai Garden concept was his?  LOL

LOVED Brandon's!  His girl looked cool, confident and effortless. And what's up with him having a larger girl two weeks in a row?  They need to button-bag that selection so we see that the model assignment is random---just a suggestion.  I didn't care for Ayana's at all but whatev.  Project Runway PC version continues.  

Sentell going home is so much BS.  He handled it better than I would.  Did Cue Ball Twin do anything???  We saw shot after shot of her running back and forth, whining, melting down but never sewing a damn thing.  Her team made her garment and she's safe?!  And her twin can miss me with that dramatic "crying" that we've seen when her sister appears after the final aufing. 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Remember when designer would get super dressed up for the runway. I always thought it was a little dumb because they would still be working on their looks. But after seeing the bottom two idiots look like they just got back from the gym. It seems a little disrespectful and unprofessional. It wasn't even "fashionable" it just seemed lazy. 

I also did a second take when I saw how they showed up. I remember a challenge, many years ago, where they went into a nightclub (or the like) and were treated to drinks. They didn't overly know what was going on or that indeed this was part of their challenge. Well, some of them were disrespectful to the 'staff' and had attitudes. FF to later when they found out that the bartenders and staff were really ppl who had the power and connections to give their careers a push or jump start. There was humble pie served for desert by Tim and Heidi (?...this is a bit fuzzy folks but y'all get my drift). The point was you never know who's watching, who you might bump into, and the importance of first impressions being everything. I would never go to a designer who dressed so casually that she looked like she was playing outside with friends (juvenile) or looked as though she/he was doing drugs (I'm not stating anyone does).  If a designer doesn't look like they can put themselves together, than how do they think that we can trust them to make us look put together? Every moment counts for an impression when you are on tv. 

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

"Indeed. Indeed". 

What is it about the twins speech pattern that drives me nuts? 

For me, its that their speech pattern is about 90% affectation, crap they're putting on.

I was really hoping Shaun would be sent home.  It would be interesting to see if the other twin blossoms or withers on her own.  The young man they did send home made a profoundly crappy dress.  His work on Shaun's was better than what he did on his own.

During last week's preview I could swear they showed Tim addressing someone cheating.  Did I miss something about that in this show?  Maybe that's a long term preview, something later in the season.

9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Never designed for a curvy girl? Katy Perry is one of the curviest girls out there!

I'm glad the African print designer turned it around. She was my favorite from Road to the Runway. I liked the winning look also. The judges and I agree two weeks in a row. I'm shocked!!

You knew they weren't going to lose that Twin drama so soon!

Remember, though, that the twins said that they worked on Katy Perry's dress for months.  Maybe it too them that long to cut a top that could accommodate a chest with moderate sized breasts.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Well, the term "balling" means having sex, so that kind of stunned me too. Who wants to be on a team called "Having Sex on a Budget"?

It was wonderful to have tiny little Maggie Q  remind Weepy Twin that women of all sizes deserve fashion. Not that there's a lot of fashion going on with this season's crew; tonight's offerings were mostly boring. The winning dress was nice, but I thought "modest" meant no sleeveless garments.

I think there's a newer definition.  I've heard high schoolers use the term to mean (I think) playing with all your energy.  I've also heard it used to describe athletes who play a team sport that uses a ball, such as football or basketball players.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, GaT said:

It also means "living the good life" or "living in luxury". I'm pretty sure that's how they meant it.

Ballin' on a budget is a term unto itself. It was certainly meant the way you say. A baller is someone who lives large.

i can tell I'm going to have to get over their use of the term "curvy" as a euphemism for plus-sized because they've really committed to it, but it really bugs me. The Marie Claire editor was PISSED at Bald Twin for saying it, and so was Maggie Q, who is waifish. Those twins are complete insufferable, especially the bald one, and their codependency is fucking creepy. I'd have sent her home over Sentell, but Sentell was going to be in the first 5 people out anyway so I'm ok with him leaving now. Saw it coming when they showed him talking to his husband.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Refresh said:

Aaron or Brandon? With Brandon he buckles down. Works hard. Stays quiet. (He's a Millennial too, heh. )But more importantly, he designs to his strengths using pattern and color. I imagine that tailoring/ princess seams on a plus model would be hard for him but rarely are challenges that specific, and he works with what he knows. I liked last weeks top and the pants this week were really great. He's also done 2 crop tops, which could get one note but he has other thoughtful design elements that make up for that.

Sorry! I meant Brandon. I don't have everyone's names straight yet. It will probably take me half the season to get to that point. 

• Love 2

O/T, I'm reading a very funny book of essays by Samantha Irby in which she describes one of her friends who has squeezed into her prom dress to attend a wedding as being built like a LEGO. I can picture that exactly and it is not curvy.

On topic, I firmly believe under my tinfoil cap that the twins have paid for a reality television coach to work on their diction and soundbites in hopes of getting famous.

• Love 5

I'm with everyone else with hating the twins. Surely everyone does. I was apoplectic when she, and her sister, referred to her probably size 6-8 model as 'curvy', using broad verbal quotation marks to let us know she meant fat, and I was so happy that they called her out on it. They were baffled by it as I was.  And then the very thinly veiled 'oh, i dress CELEBRITIES' nonsense, to indicate that they only design for size zeroes. Ugh. We've seen other designers show disdain for having to fit 'real' sized people, but Shawn had a complete meltdown over having to fit a woman who is slim by most anyone's normal standards. She's a talentless hack, and annoying AF, and I really hoped they'd send her home. I saw the writing on the wall as soon as Sentell was talking to his hubby, but I'd hoped I was wrong.

Katy Perry is only 'curvy' because she has boobs. She's tiny otherwise. I am also a 'curvy' girl, so I don't the word being a euphemism for fat, it just sounds nicer, but in fashion-land, curvy doesn't mean what it means elsewhere, or what it meant orginally, anyway.

I would have picked Brandon for the win too, as he designed that textile, and that was what made it all a collection. I liked the winning piece well enuf, tho. She redeemed herself from last week's mess.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

LOVED Brandon's!  His girl looked cool, confident and effortless. And what's up with him having a larger girl two weeks in a row?  They need to button-bag that selection so we see that the model assignment is random---just a suggestion.

I don't think anything that comes out of that button bag is random anymore.

(If it were a truly random process a designer could end up designing only for larger models and others only on skinnier ones.)

• Love 2

Why oh why couldn't they have split up the twins? My first thought when I saw the teams was "Poor Amy! She's stuck with the twins and Sentell (like him, but question his taste)." Then, of course, Shawn and Sentell end up on the bottom--with side of drama. Where was this psychic ability when I was playing Powerball?

Also: I'm now convinced that Shawn is only capable of designing half an outfit--her top was good last week, and only did the bottom of this week's.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:
  10 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Remember when designer would get super dressed up for the runway. I always thought it was a little dumb because they would still be working on their looks. But after seeing the bottom two idiots look like they just got back from the gym. It seems a little disrespectful and unprofessional. It wasn't even "fashionable" it just seemed lazy. 

It may not be fair, but when I see a designer in any sort of public way (at a runway show, on tv, etc), I expect them to represent their brand. You don't have to be dolled up but you should not be wearing a sloppy sweatshirt (unless you are selling sloppy sweatshirts). Be comfy in the workroom but at least try to look somewhat representative of your brand on the runway. 

• Love 9

Missed the first episode - will have to check on that later, and only saw the 2nd half of this one. Love the new concept with multiple size models, and for them to give "private" feedback to the camera. Usual drama, and apparently the different materials challenge has gone downscale - newspaper, vinyl are not that interesting. But I did like the winning team's collection, would have given the winning look to the newspaper dress, but ok overall. I'm in for the season!

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, bounnatalie said:

I was curious as to why they didn't separate the twins. It seems like they have an emotional competitive advantage being on the same team.

They're saving that for the next team challenge.  Count on it.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I suspect their mother taught them to talk like that.  It sounds very affected, but they never drop it which makes me suspect it's natural, and learned at home.  Even the first episode when Heidi (or whoever) mentioned they haven't seen their work room yet - most of us would we reply, "we haven't".  But one of the wonder twins replied, "we've not", which I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say before.

They drop it all the time - listen to them in the work room or in talking heads, they sound normal.  As a previous poster said, it's when they are talking to someone in authority, when they have be on.

What I don't understand is how they have been taught to speak like that at times but not how to overcome the RBF (I have one myself) when appropriate.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I can tell I'm going to have to get over their use of the term "curvy" as a euphemism for plus-sized because they've really committed to it, but it really bugs me. The Marie Claire editor was PISSED at Bald Twin for saying it, and so was Maggie Q, who is waifish. 

I agree with everyone's comments about Shawn and her offensive use of the term "curvy," but the Marie Claire editor - and all the other judges - can spare me with their indignation.  Everyone in the fashion world, from magazines to designers, use tall, skinny models, and promote this skinny-only aesthetic.  Flip through Marie Claire and show me where plus-sized or even regular-sized women are featured.  You can't.  Same with the designers.  They design for women sized 0-4, and send tall, skinny, clothes hangers-models down the runway to sell their clothes.  

Lets face it - what Shawn said is something we've heard a million times before on this show.  In fact, I think just last week - a contestant with a curvy model (was it Brandon?) said it in his TH.  Designers are used to designing and making clothes that fit skinny models, so it's a challenge to fit a different size.  What's obnoxious about what Shawn did is that she said it out loud, on the runway, in front of everyone, a million times (!), and said it as an excuse.  I'm not giving her a pass at all, but the judges can have a seat with all their "oh no she didn't" looks and whispers.

• Love 19

The "curvy" talk perturbed me as well. The model was obviously gorgeous, but she was proportional. It's not like the bottom was out of proportion to the top, or her boobs were ginormous, Shawn should have been able to take the skinny girls she's used to and add some inches to her tape measure. I thought it was a cop out. The dude who usually does menswear is doing a great job already and has not complained. Why can't Shawn?

• Love 8

Shawn (sp?): "It's my first team challenge... it's my first unconventional challenge.... It's my first "curvy" girl dress EVER.... I feel like it's my fault if we're on the bottom"

Everyone else in the room thought bubble "damn yes it will be your fault you lazy crazy loser"

• Love 15

I wish the producers would stop forecasting who was leaving with the sudden "call home" or "unexpected background clip" early on in this show.  Poor Sentelle.  He wasn't long for this competition, but Shawn did nothing but whine and obstruct and was clearly only kept for the drama.  She didn't even make her outfit (Sentelle did).  I also couldn't believe the nerve of her putting down Amanda's weaving as too unoriginal while standing around creating nothing herself.  She's like the kid who flunks his mid-term and claims it was because the material didn't challenge him enough.  Claire's dress was better but was basically the same as the one she made last week, just with different materials.  There isn't really anyone on Team Trash Bag other than Amanda who I would have been sad to lose.

I actually liked the "safe" team better than the winning team, though they were both pretty good.  I really wanted to see the plastic soda top ring looks more up close.  I liked the effect.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

And then the very thinly veiled 'oh, i dress CELEBRITIES' nonsense, to indicate that they only design for size zeroes.

*Ahem*  If I may.......  ;)   I loved the look on Zac's face when she said that.  I think he muttered something like "oh, ok", too.  It looked like he was fighting a major eye roll.  lol! 

I also got the impression that the twins' speech patterns, while always annoying, gets much worse when they are talking to someone in authority.

The winning design looked much better while it was still in progress on the dress form.  For me, though, it wasn't so much the fringe that brought it down, but it looked like she did something to the bodice that changed the look of it.  Like she painted something over the top of some of it or something?  It looked so crisp and clean on the form. 

I did like the winning team's looks slightly better than the safe team, but, as much as I liked the baby doll dress, it didn't fit with the rest of the collection, imo.  Which brings me to another pet peeve of mine:  complaining that the same girl wouldn't wear all of the clothes in the collection.  I completely understand cohesion for the sake of a collection and the aesthetics of it, but I hate hearing "Would your girl really have all of these in her closet?" (or whatever it is that they say).  If they looked through my closet and in my dresser, it would look like a few different girls shared it and I love and still wear most of the pieces I own.  I go through phases, yes, especially with my color choices, but there are very few things that I don't wear anymore (and most of them are because I don't fit in them anymore, but can't part with them). 

• Love 22

Usual drama, and apparently the different materials challenge has gone downscale - newspaper, vinyl are not that interesting. But I did like the winning team's collection, would have given the winning look to the newspaper dress, but ok overall. I'm in for the season!

Yes, they usually have much more interesting materials to work with--and ones that don't smell, as well.  That workroom must have been pretty rank.  I felt sorry for Samantha having to use her asthma inhaler.

Normally I would point to the powers that be regarding the non-aufing of CryBaby Twin, but the other dress was truly hideous and Sentelle deserved to go. The judges caught a little of her act on the runway, but they were unaware of her awful behaviour in the workroom. I was surprised at the CryBaby Twin's emotional meltdown--I wonder if she has ever been in a position where people haven't told her she is fabulous.  I'm hoping that there will be another team challenge later in the season in which the team members or leader get to pick who they want to work with.  If she's still around, she'll be dead last.  Oh, wait, I forgot her sister....  I don't hate the twins, as they don't (so far) seem to be actually viciously nasty.  I enjoy watching their affectations and ridiculousness.  Of course, if I actually had to work around them I'd go crazy.

Yes, the judges were hypocrites for calling her out on the "curves" thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway.

They shouldn't have allowed Sentelle on the show--two years in fashion isn't anywhere near long enough.

I was happy enough with the team order, with Ballin winning first place.  Plan to rewatch tonight to remind myself of the middle team's designs.

Thank goodness!  I only knew the other definition and had a WTF question mark in my mind every time that they mentioned it.  Judging from Tim's expression, he did too.

I was curious as to why they didn't separate the twins. It seems like they have an emotional competitive advantage being on the same team

I would love, love, love the drama if they ever end up on different teams.  Even if it is producer-engineered.

Once again Brandon has put his model in a shapeless crop top. I think he really has no clue how to design for women. But I give him credit for creating that print by simply painting white rectangles on vinyl. That went a long way towards taking away the flat look of the fug brown vinyl.

Brandon is doing surprisingly well so far, but I agree with you--the real test will be when he has to do a non-crop for his model.  

• Love 4

I was also team Wabi-Sabi, but I guess I could see why the winners where chosen. Losing the hijab was a good idea, but probably entirely accidental (because there was not enough time to make one from those shitty materials).

• Love 2
Just now, odduck said:

Losing the hijab was a good idea, but probably entirely accidental (because there was not enough time to make one from those shitty materials).

I'm thinking that the hijab doesn't really need to be part of the dress (as one can always be added in a neutral color) as long as the actual dress is .... dare I say .... modest?

• Love 5

Poor ol' Sentell--I hope he had a lovely, relaxed honeymoon when he got home.  (My husband and I were married in June and soon thereafter had my 2 brothers' weddings and a bar exam, so we honeymooned in August; smartest decision ever!)  I know he was cannon fodder so I can't get too worked up about his departure, but ugh, Shawn.  

I did think Sentell showed some good leadership qualities early on, getting them a little bit focused.  I think (apart from his lack of experience) part of his problem was that as soon as he started seeing his material as "sea glass," which I get where he was coming from, he looked at it through rose colored, well sea glass colored, glasses and could no longer see "garbage bag."  Wish teammates had told him, but they were too busy (as he was) twin-wrangling.  

I'm actually surprised the workroom smelled.  It seemed pretty obvious to me that they were picking only from the central pile, which seemed to be all clean things specifically chosen for them to root through.  I get that the overall warehouse smelled, sure (and oh!  twins!  you are so amazing to know the words noxious and whatever the one was that Shawn said--acrid?  I bow to your superior vocabulary!  They're definitely pretentious in the talking heads too).   But maybe some smell clung to the materials they brought back.

I'm surprised Tim made a face at Wabi-Sabi (name), because that concept was a perfect name for what they were doing.  

Laughed when Kentari asked a teammate "who came up with the Japan theme?" and they said "you did!" and he recalled that they were correct!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It may not be fair, but when I see a designer in any sort of public way (at a runway show, on tv, etc), I expect them to represent their brand. You don't have to be dolled up but you should not be wearing a sloppy sweatshirt (unless you are selling sloppy sweatshirts). Be comfy in the workroom but at least try to look somewhat representative of your brand on the runway. 

It's extra funny because think of all of the times that the judges in the past have told someone that their personal style on the runway was cooler/better than whatever they had go down the runway. Sometimes I honestly feel like that has saved designers in the past.

• Love 5

I also liked team Wabi=Sabi better but only by a bit. Also am tired of the whining twins especially Shawn. I also don't think it is fair if her sister does all her work. The sobbing upon returning to the green room was over the top too. I actually didn't like the winning dress-too busy and too much fringe. I thought the shorter dress by the designer who uses African prints (not good on the better designers names yet) was cleaner and looked more fashionable. Sentell's dress truly looked like a garbage bag and I can't believe he spent more than an hour or two. He seems like a nice guy though and I wish him well.

I doubt that the workroom smelled bad. I'm sure the designers were given only clean paper and other items to work with, even if those items were newly purchased. The recycling plant probably did smell bad, paper processing always smells awful. I was also happy to see the judges stand up for the so called 'curvy girls'. It is taking a long time for the fashion world and magazines to catch up, but it is slowly coming. I have seen some average and plus sized girls in a variety of magazines and it's about time.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GaT said:

Oh you young people with your slang! I can't keep up! It's back to the rocking chair for me.......

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

*Ahem*  If I may.......  ;)   I loved the look on Zac's face when she said that.  I think he muttered something like "oh, ok", too.  It looked like he was fighting a major eye roll.  lol! 

His face was like "Oh, YOU design for celebrities?" I cracked up. 

• Love 17
35 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I also got the impression that the twins' speech patterns, while always annoying, gets much worse when they are talking to someone in authority.

Yes, it impressed me as insecurity, hence the complete melt downs at the slightest bump in the road.

The greatly remind me of my twin nephews, now 37. Both very smart, multiple advanced degrees, internationally ranked in chess and all that; they're even nice guys. The problem is that, like the PR twins, they're joined at the hip and have never really been separated. When it was time for college they went to schools on opposite coasts--it lasted one year then one transferred to the other's school where they shared a dorm room through out their education. They saved their $, bought a duplex home; they live on one side and rent out the other for income.Professionally they're in demand and doing well. Yes, they have girlfriends now and then but I'd think it would be this side of impossible to be really accepted in that situation. Smart, educated, talented and both quite handsome and athletic but, IMO, emotionally stunted. They seem happy enough but, personally, I don't see it as all that healthy.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I suspect their mother taught them to talk like that.  It sounds very affected, but they never drop it which makes me suspect it's natural, and learned at home.  Even the first episode when Heidi (or whoever) mentioned they haven't seen their work room yet - most of us would we reply, "we haven't".  But one of the wonder twins replied, "we've not", which I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say before.

Bald Shawn was a hot mess, with her histrionics.  She's never had to work in a team!  She's never had to handle trash!  She's never met a fat person before!  It's all too much to bear!

But I don't get ragey about the way they talk, I just think it's kind of interesting.  I think R-Zombie is on to something that it's a learned behavior.  My mother was older, imported from a more urban environment and spoke more formally than anyone was accustomed to hearing.  (I think she kicked the "shan't" habit, but "we've not" would've been right in her wheelhouse.)  Consequently, my speech patterns were always a little different, more formal, judged to be snobby. 

But ha, I've made a mental note:  Do NOT start saying "Indeed".  Honestly, I could see working that into the rotation here and there as an alternative for "Yeah, that!"  No?  Okay.   : )

I wasn't crazy about the winning look.  Obviously no one in the studio had ever pulled ten miles of cassette tape out of the player after it ate your favorite tunes.  Don't lie, Nina, Tim--you've been there.

The most interesting part of the show was the concept of Wabi-Sabi.  I wanted to hear more about it, and I think the team could have done themselves some good if they'd played up that angle.

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, candall said:

Bald Shawn was a hot mess, with her histrionics.  She's never had to work in a team!  She's never had to handle trash!  She's never met a fat person before!  It's all too much to bear!

But I don't get ragey about the way they talk, I just think it's kind of interesting.  I think R-Zombie is on to something that it's a learned behavior.  My mother was older, imported from a more urban environment and spoke more formally than anyone was accustomed to hearing.  (I think she kicked the "shan't" habit, but "we've not" would've been right in her wheelhouse.)  Consequently, my speech patterns were always a little different, more formal, judged to be snobby. 

But ha, I've made a mental note:  Do NOT start saying "Indeed".  Honestly, I could see working that into the rotation here and there as an alternative for "Yeah, that!"  No?  Okay.   : )

I wasn't crazy about the winning look.  Obviously no one in the studio had ever pulled ten miles of cassette tape out of the player after it ate your favorite tunes.  Don't lie, Nina, Tim--you've been there.

The most interesting part of the show was the concept of Wabi-Sabi.  I wanted to hear more about it, and I think the team could have done themselves some good if they'd played up that angle.

1. if Shawn had been smarter, she would have blamed her meltdown on freaking out on being in the bottom the week before--my confidence was shaken; that mixed with the team concept and unconventional materials kind of got me off track. . .

2. you cracked me up with your note not to use Indeed

3. I was not crazy about the winning look either. It was my least favorite for that team. too much stuff piled into one look.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, candall said:

I don't mind the way the twins speak; it's nice enuf to hear someone who sounds fairly articulate and educated, but they also sound pretentious and entitled and  douche-y, so it negates it all.

I knew the term Wabi-Sabi from being a Flea Market Flip fan...it's often used as one of their challenges--making something imperfect or broken beautiful. Surely Tim Gunn knows about Wabi-Sabi.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

The one of them (not Shawn) also uses her hands a lot but in a nonsensical way. It could be me...nah, it's her. 

I'm really enjoying all the winning teams looks. They did well. 

I loved the Kimono that last week's winner did (Devonte?).  He was on the medium team.  I mean, I gasped.  It was tremendous!  But yes, other than that, Balling on a Budget was great especially the guy who made up the pattern - Brandon.

I just want to put my hat in the ring who loves Alyssa Milano very much but does NOT like the Shawn twin.  I don't see them as similar personally. 

15 hours ago, DasFlavorPup said:

I really, REALLY would have liked to have seen one of those obnoxious twins go home, and was even briefly hoping for a double aufing of those two.  But, to be honest, between his dress this week and that puckery gold monstrosity last week, as lovely as Sentell seems he was not going to last much longer.

Oh.  Poor Sentell.  I didn't realize he did the gold thing.  Poor sweet kid!  He's so handsome.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

And not all rock stars and celebrities are stick thin. 

Musicians are not even known for being thin.  Actresses, yes.  They're sometimes thinner than models.  But musicians?  I always think of this dialogue from School of Rock.  Music is one world where you can be as curvy as Adele and be worshipped.

Dewey Finn: You've heard of Aretha Franklin, right?  She's a big lady. But when she sings, she blows people's minds. Everyone wants to party with Aretha! And, you know who else has a weight issue?

Tomika: Who?

Dewey Finn: Me. But when I get up there and start doing my thing, people worship me! Because I'm sexy, and chubby, man.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Refresh said:

With Brandon he buckles down. Works hard. Stays quiet. (He's a Millennial too, heh. )But more importantly, he designs to his strengths using pattern and color. I imagine that tailoring/ princess seams on a plus model would be hard for him but rarely are challenges that specific, and he works with what he knows. I liked last weeks top and the pants this week were really great. He's also done 2 crop tops, which could get one note but he has other thoughtful design elements that make up for that. 

I'm convinced he got in the top looks last week because he had a curvy model with plenty of confidence so he designed for her to show some skin, unlike Batari (sp?) who designed to cover up her model's curves.

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Shawn (sp?): "It's my first team challenge... it's my first unconventional challenge.... It's my first "curvy" girl dress EVER.... I feel like it's my fault if we're on the bottom"

Everyone else in the room thought bubble "damn yes it will be your fault you lazy crazy loser"

Yes, Shawn, it's your first team challenge and your first unconventional challenge.  Boo frickin' hoo.  It's everyone's first team and unconventional materials challenge.

And why oh why did they have the twins on the same team.  Can you imagine if ponytail had tried to help Shawn while being on a different team.  LOL!

• Love 11
14 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

I love Maggie and the Maria Claire woman practically jumping out of there seats to shut that "curvy" shit down. And the judge saying the model was thinner than her. Priceless. 

And Maggie Q is seriously thin, in person even moreso of course, so I thought that was kind of cool that she was so upset.

• Love 10

I was kind of upset that they kept using the word "curvy" though, as in saying "She's NOT curvy".  I mean, that model *WAS* curvy, in that she was shaped like a healthy-real-woman. She had boobs.She was probably a size 6 or 8, which I can only dream about.  I know what they meant was, "she's not what you're implying-- she's not plus sized". And I know there's no way for them to use a different word than Shawn was using without being rude. It just bugged me. 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 19
24 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh.  Poor Sentell.  I didn't realize he did the gold thing.  Poor sweet kid!  He's so handsome.

I didn't realize Sentell did the gold thing either until I came on here--made me a feel better about him going home though would have still preferred Shawn.

• Love 10