Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Cake Week

• Start Topic

I had never heard of Noel before this show (yes, I am old).  He totally cracked me up at the end in the judging tent when he said that he was going to "take one for the team" and volunteer to leave so that none of the bakers would have to go.  

• Love 12

I liked it.  But then again, I came into the episode desperately WANTING to like it.  This is one of my favorite shows.  I think some people may have watched this first episode with a side eye (especially British viewers) because of the Sue, Mel, and Mary love.  While I love them, I love the show more.

Noel worried me before I watched.  His look is just so not what I would imagine for GBBS.  However, he was calm, comforting, fun, and rather low key.  I liked him a lot.  And, he was willing to "take one for the team" which I found amusing.  Thumbs up.

Sandy didn't make a huge impression one, yet.  But, she is amusing with Noel and seems to fit it well.

Prue seems extremely competent.  She knows her stuff and her criticism was constructive.  I like her too.

As for the contestants, the dude who made the Baker's Lunch did an extraordinary job.  Paul seemed shocked that he had a edible spray painter.  I've wondered why it took 8 seasons for someone to bring one out.  

I like the lady who forgot her Kerd.  And I liked her and Paul's exchange about said kerd and that she could ask Paul for help...not that he would give her any, but she could ask.

I thought for sure the clutch lady was a goner.  And the broken knife was heartbreaking (I gasped).  

All in all, so glad to have totally new and fresh episodes.  Only bummer?  It's on Netflix so I will probably binge watch them all right away because I have no sense and can't help myself.

• Love 17
36 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

And the broken knife was heartbreaking (I gasped).  

As soon as I saw that he was only making one of them, I knew that it would break. If you're going to make something that fragile that is absolutely integral to your design, you've got to make multiples of them.

All in all, I'm pleased to see that the format and style of the show is virtually unchanged. The show was never supposed to be about the hosts anyway, and Noel and Sandi seem unobtrusive at least, with Noel being quite pleasant and witty. I think he could actually be quite dashingly handsome if it weren't for the Goth hair look. 

The clutch bag idea was just wrong from the start. First of all, it's so small that even if it were perfectly executed, it would never be as impressive as some of the larger designs. Plus that black frosting, which also overwhelmed the cake when it was cut, was just entirely unappetizing. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

Paul seemed shocked that he had a edible spray painter.  I've wondered why it took 8 seasons for someone to bring one out.  

Didn't Ryan use something like that on his hidden design cake (in the season that just aired on PBS)?

Just finished the cake ep. I have no idea who Noel is, but he seems very nice and low-key and interacted well with the bakers. I knew Sandi from her guest appearances on Time Team, so I was already a fan of hers. And Prue was a terrific judge—sure, she’s no Mary Berry, but she gives excellent critiques. And two handshakes from Paul isn’t unprecedented (I was just watching Season 7 where that happened in the finale). Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season!

• Love 2

I loved Noel as the goth stuck in the computer room on the hilarious UK sitcom The IT Crowd. I was like NO WAY when he popped up on GBBO, but he seems genuinely interested in the people and is clever, so I think he works fine. 

• Love 6

I've very much enjoyed Sandi as a guest panelist on QI. I haven't seen her as the host of QI because I haven't found any of the QI seasons past "G" and I'm not paying for another streaming service that has them (Acorn has seasons "A" through "G"). ANYway, it was odd to see her without her glasses, but she's a delight. I had no knowledge of Noel and was pleasantly surprised that he made laugh (some vaguely smutty crack about clutches that I can't remember now). A friend has dug in his heels about not watching the new crew, and I had to tell him to let that go, that's it's (nearly) exactly the same, and the differences aren't worth getting all shirty about.

I am going to TRY to not binge this season and will only watch one episode each Friday night like I was watching it on PBS. (Does anyone know if PBS chose not to air these new seasons or if Love Productions wouldn't sell them to PBS? I know nothing about how rights and royalties work, other than they're very complicated.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

some vaguely smutty crack about clutches that I can't remember now

was it a moist clutch? Something like that. I was surprised to like him as much as I did (no clue who he is or what he has done) -- he is sweet and personable. Just goes to show to not judge a book and so on.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

I am going to TRY to not binge this season and will only watch one episode each Friday night like I was watching it on PBS. (Does anyone know if PBS chose not to air these new seasons or if Love Productions wouldn't sell them to PBS? I know nothing about how rights and royalties work, other than they're very complicated.)

I'd be pretty sure Netflix offered more money than PBS ever could, and they went to the highest bidder.

• Love 4
On 8/31/2018 at 6:11 PM, AZChristian said:

It was like opening a present to see the first episode of the new season.  I thought some of the bakes were absolutely incredible.  I'm just glad the show is back!!!!  Thank you, indeed, Netflix!

I feel the same way  my friend.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

All in all, so glad to have totally new and fresh episodes.  Only bummer?  It's on Netflix so I will probably binge watch them all right away because I have no sense and can't help myself.

I'm going to try and watch the episodes one at a time.  GBBO is my favorite show and it was my Friday treat.  I'm so glad it's back.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, toodles said:

I'm going to try and watch the episodes one at a time.  GBBO is my favorite show and it was my Friday treat.  I'm so glad it's back.

You have more will power than I . . . we're already through four episodes.  And no apologies.  At my age, I do not delay gratification.

• Love 15
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, TVbitch said:

I loved Noel as the goth stuck in the computer room on the hilarious UK sitcom The IT Crowd. I was like NO WAY when he popped up on GBBO, but he seems genuinely interested in the people and is clever, so I think he works fine. 

OMG, I just watched that episode of The IT Crowd and had no idea it was the same person! He was quite likeable and a good fit on what I'm calling The Channel 4 Version of the GBBS.

I really had mixed feelings about this but read a good review of it somewhere and was...relieved? pleasantly surprised? I do miss Mary, but it just proves there's only one Mary Berry ❤ (No complaints about Prue.)

I don't remember a season-opener being so cringe-worthy, though -- by which I mean, I was watching parts from between my fingers like it was a scary movie or something. There just seemed to be so many potential disasters in the making. I also thought the overall skill level of the bakers was much more varied than usual -- there were some (don't remember names yet) that I felt were just out of their element.

All in all, thanks, Netflix! I'm in (and, like AllAboutMBTV and toodles, I'll dole out one episode to myself every weekend like back in the day ?)

• Love 2

I was pleasantly surprised, especially since I was prepared to hate the show without Mel, Sue and Mary. Usual lot of charming contestants and fun challenges. Plus, watching on Netflix, I get no commercials and all three challenges, which apparently the British viewers didn't get. 

I only knew Mel and Sue from this show, the same as Paul and Mary. I also don't know Prue, Noel and Sandy, so i am willing to give them all a chance. As long as they don't mess with the format, and the contestants remain as lovely as always, I'm good. 

• Love 13

I was so happy to see this on Netflix.  I have to keep myself from spending hours binge watching.

Is Sandi related to Tom Cruise?  Every time she's on the screen, I think of Tom.  It's something about the eyes.

• Love 2

I do miss Mary, Sue and Mel but I don't mind Noel and Sandy. Less happy with Prue, though I appreciated that she has forced Paul to be nicer since she's no sweet Mary Berry. Part of me is happy they are keeping things pretty much the same but the other part of me feels that it makes it feel a bit like a knock off of the original. 

I think they got a very likable group of bakers so I will stay with this season but I don't think I will love the show as much as I did before. It's till nice but it's not quite as charming as it once was. 

18 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I think they got a very likable group of bakers so I will stay with this season but I don't think I will love the show as much as I did before. It's till nice but it's not quite as charming as it once was. 

I actually really like Noel-- (Sandy seems like a vanilla nothing to me on the other hand), so I'm quite happy with the new iteration. Sue and Mel were fine, but I actually prefer Noel TBH. And I enjoy his wardrobe choices! Gives me something to look at! The bakers all seem nice (though somehow Flo seems to be not long for this show-- out of her depth).

• Love 2

I do adore Noel. I know him from Nevermind the Buzzcocks and The IT Crowd and wasn't sure how he was going to work here, but he is doing beautifully. 

Sandi is kind of just there. She's good, but she won't get me coming back for more. 

Prue I don't dislike, but I don't particularly like her either. She seems more supportive, positive than I was expecting, but lacks the warmth of Mary Berry. I guess she'd be more like your proper great aunt. The one who has the family china and will leave it to you in her will but watches you carefully whenever you touch it. 

What I liked about the original group was they were your sweet Gran, grumpy Dad and your two weird aunts. Of course, because of the way we saw the shows in the US we kind of started with them as a well oiled machine. Maybe this group will get to that "family" level over time. 

I'm not disappointed in the new version, but unlike the original, my watching will be more dependent on the bakers. Original Recipe GBBO I loved the hosts/judges enough that even if there was no baker I was rooting for, I still watched to spend time with them. 

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

What I liked about the original group was they were your sweet Gran, grumpy Dad and your two weird aunts. Of course, because of the way we saw the shows in the US we kind of started with them as a well oiled machine. Maybe this group will get to that "family" level over time. 

I think you nailed it here.  I first saw GBBS on the Builder Richard/ Nancy/ Martha season and I think that was their fourth season.  Then I went back and watched the first three seasons on You Tube (before it vanished).  Sue and Mel did take some time to warm into their personas on the show.  They were no where near as fun and jokey with the contestants the first seasons.  Paul was very by the book and not as much fun those first seasons.  Mary was always Mary and always delightful.

I like the new crew.  I really like Prue and Noel and Sandy is ok, but I think it may take a season or two for the newer cast to find their footing on this type of show.  So far, I am enjoying them and I am more than willing to give them all the benefit of the doubt and some breathing room.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

I first saw GBBS on the Builder Richard/ Nancy/ Martha season and I think that was their fourth season. 

That is one of my favorite seasons! I think it was actually my first as well. So yeah, my bar is set pretty high I guess. 

• Love 2

I was so excited to see a gluten-free Swiss roll. I loved those when I was little.  (I didn't discover I had celiac until I was 22).  I can't wait to try the recipe! Since I'm not a regular watcher of anything British, I have no idea who any of them are, except for Paul because I've watched the other seasons.  I liked it. Noel is quite cheeky, but he totally wasn't wrong about that champagne bottle... 

• Love 1
On 8/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, limecoke said:

Don't know names yet but one of the contestants said, "I've never made mini-rolls in me life.  Why would I??"  Indeed.

I agree! My first thought when they showed them was why are they making Ho Hos? ;-p

On 9/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, Mabinogia said:

What I liked about the original group was they were your sweet Gran, grumpy Dad and your two weird aunts.

So now we have your stern Gran, grumpy Dad, sweet aunt, and weird cousin?

I liked Prue but still miss Mary. I liked Noel too even though he seems like a strange choice for this show. I've never seen him in anything else. I don't know who Sandi is either and I thought she  was forgettable. I didn't think she and Noel worked together as well as Sue and Mel. The rest seemed the same so I can live with the cast changes.

I think my favorite part was at the end when Stephen called his mom to tell her he won Star Baker and then he cried telling her Paul shook his hand!

• Love 8
On 9/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, Destiny74 said:

I liked it.  But then again, I came into the episode desperately WANTING to like it.  This is one of my favorite shows. 

I could have said this exact same thing!

On 9/1/2018 at 6:02 PM, AllAboutMBTV said:

I am going to TRY to not binge this season and will only watch one episode each Friday night like I was watching it on PBS.

Not even gonna try - I’m bingeing

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, heckkitty said:

Not even gonna try - I’m bingeing

I cue it up and tell myself I am only going to watch one segment at a time.  After the Signature I will do X chores.  After the Challenge I will do a few more.  Never happens.  Cannot stop once it gets rolling.

• Love 4
On 9/1/2018 at 9:02 PM, AllAboutMBTV said:

I think PBS only gets shows that have been on the BBC which is why they didn't get this one.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, anniebird said:

I think PBS only gets shows that have been on the BBC which is why they didn't get this one.

I don't think this is true, PBS airs Grantchester, Endeavour, Home Fires, Jamestown, Durrells in Corfu and I'm sure more I'm not thinking of and none of those air on BBC channels. My guess is PBS could not pay what Netflix was offering?

• Love 11
2 hours ago, mishy said:

My guess is PBS could not pay what Netflix was offering?

^ That sounds right.  ... Or, PBS just didn't care that much about buying rights to the show so soon after airing BBC's Season 3 this Summer.  My local PBS station always treats GBBO like a piece of junk to burn off when no one's watching (on several occasions, I've had to go to streaming to get episodes that disappeared from the schedule) so I'm not sure PBS really values it as much as they should.

31 minutes ago, rab01 said:

My local PBS station always treats GBBO like a piece of junk to burn off when no one's watching (on several occasions, I've had to go to streaming to get episodes that disappeared from the schedule) so I'm not sure PBS really values it as much as they should.

Their loss! I love that it's on Netflix simply because I can watch however many episodes I want at a time and that we don't have to wait for another year to go by before we get the next season. 

As for this episode. Those illusion cakes were pretty cool, Steven's especially was amazing looking and I think if Kate had been able to get her terrarium put together it would have been pretty cool looking.

Finally!  I didn't realize this was out on Netflix.

I liked Noel!  In addition to what others have mentioned, he had a lovely "I told you not to tell them" when one contestant insisted on talking about a mistake.

Stephen is a dead ringer for Oliver Jackson-Cohen.

• Love 2

I'm not that attached to Mel and Sue but I do miss Mary. I like the new host Noel, I think he's low key funny so far. The other two newbies seem fine but they haven't left much of an impression yet. I don't care much about the hosts or judges anyway it's all about watching people bake, for me. No favorites on the contestants yet, I've only watched two episodes.

• Love 1

I totally agree with the comment above that noted that Prue's voice sounds just like Mary Berry.  I miss Mary, but I think Prue is as good as a substitute as anyone could be.

I was surprised Chris wasn't sent home.  Peter would have been a close second in my book.  For me, Chris had grand ideas that he just couldn't execute.

From the comments, it sounds like BBC didn't show the chocolate roll technical bake.  That's a shame - it was a fun segment.  I love a homemade "Ho Ho".  I'm not sure how the peppermint filling would work for me, though. 

I think there is some great talent in this season.  Love Liam's enthusiasm, and that he has no fear of Paul.  Love Flo.  Love Yan and her "science!" declarations.  Can we get her to do a baking/dessert show with Amy and Maya, the Sweet Scientists from Amazing Race?  ;)

Is Steven a professional baker?  I'm afraid to google anything in fear of being spoiled.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, chaifan said:

From the comments, it sounds like BBC didn't show the chocolate roll technical bake.

Actually it was the CBC from Canada that didn't show it.

I agree about Prue sounding just like Mary.  I was startled the first time I heard her speak.

And stay away from google - lots of stuff gets revealed even in just the search results!

20 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Is Steven a professional baker?  I'm afraid to google anything in fear of being spoiled.

No. This is an amateur competition and pro bakers and chefs are strictly forbidden from entering.

These rules are outlined in the Rules of Entry on the application website (no spoilers):

4. You cannot have ever worked full-time as a baker, cook or chef.

5. You must be an amateur baker, meaning your main source of income must not derive from commercial baking or cooking in a professional environment (restaurant, hotel, canteen, bakery, shop etc.) The term ‘baking’ refers to the preparation and oven cooking of flour- (or flour equivalent) based goods such as bread, cakes, pastries, pies, tarts, and biscuits. It does not refer to other food forms that can be oven cooked, or other methods of cooking.

• Love 2

You can probably find three things I did wrong here, according to Prue. I also swapped out the peppermint in favor of vanilla. 

Here's Prue's recipe for the chocolate rolls.

hoho.jpg.95bc785274bef8076f4cbe7dd840f44b.jpg

Were they good? Yes, if SUPER rich. I may have spread too much filling on the inside, so there wasn't a good ratio of sponge to filling. 

I find, as I get older, I like chocolate less and less. I need something to cut it with: it's too much by itself. I also find that I prefer more cake and less frosting/filling. 

Maturity? Or grumpiness? You be the judge! :) 

Edited by cherrypj
made photo smaller
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Athena said:

No. This is an amateur competition and pro bakers and chefs are strictly forbidden from entering.

These rules are outlined in the Rules of Entry on the application website (no spoilers):

Thanks, Athena.  There was a shot (and I admit, this may have been in episode 2) where they showed him with a multi-tiered fondant covered wedding cake.  It threw me for a minute. 

Cherry - is there a reason you set the rolls end-up, not on their side?  Also, I'd do the same as you, and omit the peppermint.  I do want to try making those, but will probably hold off 'til the holidays.

3 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Thanks, Athena.  There was a shot (and I admit, this may have been in episode 2) where they showed him with a multi-tiered fondant covered wedding cake.  It threw me for a minute. 

Are you speaking of Steven? I think that was his wedding cake, which he made himself.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cherrypj said:

I find, as I get older, I like chocolate less and less. I need something to cut it with: it's too much by itself. I also find that I prefer more cake and less frosting/filling. 

I volunteer for any leftovers.  AND I will like the frosting bowl!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

Cherry - is there a reason you set the rolls end-up, not on their side?  Also, I'd do the same as you, and omit the peppermint.  I do want to try making those, but will probably hold off 'til the holidays.

I did not make the mini-rolls (I only have one quarter-sheet pan), instead making one giant sponge. After rolling and slicing, the rolls were much thinner and would not stand up long enough to cover. It's a shame, because that swirl was niiiice.

I just started rewatching this season today, this time with the subtitles on. Doing so let me understand Flo much better, especially the lovely exchange between her and Noel, when she asks him how he likes his new job. Very sweet!

• Love 2

Seeing these showstoppers after just having seen Series 3 is crazy! The bakers are working at such a higher level now.

I barely noticed the hosts, especially Sandi. But that's a good thing. I'm sure they know we're wary of the new crew, and keeping it low key while we warm up to them is smart.

• Love 9

What a relief to see them doing a technical that was a normal thing again! I first got hooked on the series went to Swiss roll was the technical and I spent weeks and weeks perfecting my Swiss roll which is still not perfect. Finally a technical I can imagine myself making. So I probably wouldn’t because I don’t like ho hos much  and don’t think I would like them even with a mint cream. I do miss Mary and Mel and Sue but it’s wonderful to be back in the tent.

So, Stacy (Stacey?  Not checking names online in case of spoilers) - was inspired by her Granny with the buzzing hearing aid.  Said she thought of naming her signature bake "Granny Buzzcake".  I swear that I did not know that Noel was on Nevermind the Buzzcocks, but now I get the joke😉.

Oh, and I noted Noel's exact wording - "Looking forward to a moist clutch!"

• Love 1

I finally decided to watch the “new” GBBO today and I was so pleasantly surprised in every way. What a relief. (And I immediately went right into episode two, obvs. This show is made for bingeing.)

That ramen cake was truly a work of art. I understand why sandwich artist Steven won (and I really like him so far!), but that bowl of ramen was out of this world gorgeous even if the taste wasn’t A+.  

• Love 1
On 9/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, illdoc said:

Didn't Ryan use something like that on his hidden design cake (in the season that just aired on PBS)?

Just watched this season last weekend.  Ryan used edible spray paint in a can, I was commenting on the air brush machine.  Similar but different, I guess.  😁

On 9/1/2018 at 4:28 PM, Sharpie66 said:

I have no idea who Noel is, but he seems very nice and low-key

Unintentionally hilarious.  Also, there's a Noel and a Liam.  I love both sets of Noel and Liam.

Edited by Oosala