Type keyword(s) to search

Strike / C. B. Strike - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I found Robin rather annoying in the previous episodes and was undecided about whether to give it another go. 

I still don’t care for her, or the inevitable Strike/Robin pairing but I’ll watch to see whodunnit because even though this is the only one of the books that I’ve read, I don’t remember who the killer is. 

Nice little ‘in joke’ with the crossword clue!

3 hours ago, Llywela said:

I haven't read any of the books - I usually find it best not to, if there's a TV adaptation, because I always find it frustrating comparing the one to the other - but now that show has caught up with books, I might check them out.

I'm debating whether I should read the books or not. I'm still traumatized by Grantchester's wild swerve.

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I'm debating whether I should read the books or not. I'm still traumatized by Grantchester's wild swerve.

I would say this series is more in tune to the books than Grantchester. I say this without having seen "Career of Evil" yet, so I guess a swerve is possible, but with the first two the books and series are fairly similar tonally and plot-wise. I would think the books would be fun to read after watching because they do go deeper into the characters and relationships.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I think Joan Rowling is closely watching the writers of the Strike series, and so far all changes were cosmetic or for tv convenience/budget. I do think they're making Cormoran into a more of a pretty boy, though, but I can't complain about the results. The series so far looks like a supplement material to the books.

• Love 1
(edited)

I dunno - that felt a bit rushed. I had to watch this without closed captions so that might be the reason I was struggling. But I feel that several aspects of this plot could have done with a bit of breathing space. First of all the main perp and his motivations. Was he actively looking for a way to get back at Strike and somehow inpsired his little SIL's obsession with Strike? Or did her obsession with Strike give him the idea for his revenge plan? What a coincidence then.

Same goes for Robin. I guess we're supposed to admire her being so feisty and determined to get those creeps at all costs. But some of her actions were really dumb. She know she's being targeted and yet she walks through creepy dark alleys. She decided to enter into an extremely volatile confrontation when she's already injured. Yeah, she had Shanker as back-up outside but if this episode confirmed anything than that he's the worst back-up ever.

And her decision to go through with the wedding could have done with an additional scene or two explaining that decision. I did not find it completely out of the blue but still lacking some insight. 

Mild book spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

I was told this show would not pull a Grantchester!

Edited by MissLucas
(edited)
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:
Spoiler

I don't think there's going to be any forbidden romance/affair between Robin and Cormoran in the next installments, if that's what you're asking.

Edited by CooperTV

I've just discovered this forum, after 4 weeks of watching this show! It's called "C.B. Strike" here on HBO, so I never thought to look under "S".

I haven't read any of the books, so the plots and characters are all completely new to me, and I'm liking it, particularly episode 1 of the second case. Robin is a treasure, but I'm guessing that her upcoming marriage isn't going to happen.

• Love 4

Glad you found this Lily H.  I keep waiting for people to comment.  I've seen this show when it aired in the UK and watching it again on Cinemax.  I think it's a terrific show and don't understand why doesn't seem to get any attention here.

I thought this story was the grossest of the three books so I was curious as to how they would handle it in a tv show.  I think they did a good job.  I had to gloss over some sections of the book.

I've never seen the lead actor before but there is something very appealing about him.

• Love 2

I haven't read any of the books, so I'm seeing the TV show with fresh eyes. I like it. I like that they told the story in 2 episodes.

When Mrs. Quine was interviewed by Strike's lawyer friend in jail, she was SO stupid and annoying I wouldn't have had a problem if they had just left her there indefinitely.

The developing relationship between Strike and Robin is the best thing about the show.

• Love 1
On 28.6.2018 at 11:54 PM, abbyzenn said:

I've never seen the lead actor before but there is something very appealing about him.

Tom Burke was a great Athos in the BBC's 'Musketeers' - he does brooding so well and that was a fun show. He was also in 'War and Peace' and plenty of historical dramas. I first noticed him in 'State of Play' (still not over that cancellation).

• Love 1
On 6/30/2018 at 9:47 PM, Lily H said:

I haven't read any of the books, so I'm seeing the TV show with fresh eyes. I like it. I like that they told the story in 2 episodes.

When Mrs. Quine was interviewed by Strike's lawyer friend in jail, she was SO stupid and annoying I wouldn't have had a problem if they had just left her there indefinitely.

The developing relationship between Strike and Robin is the best thing about the show.

I had to keep reminding myself that Leonora Quine was not a sophisticated or educated woman and that her whole life revolved around her daughter Dodo; it's no wonder she was so naive about what was happening around her after her husband's murder. She may even have a touch of whatever developmental difficulties her daughter was born with.

I love the relationship between Strike and Robin; they just are so good together. I hope their author recognizes it! 

9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Tom Burke was a great Athos in the BBC's 'Musketeers' - he does brooding so well and that was a fun show. He was also in 'War and Peace' and plenty of historical dramas. I first noticed him in 'State of Play' (still not over that cancellation).

Strike was the first time (I thought) I'd seen him too. I think he's just an incredible actor and has an amazingly mobile face.  I'm going through The Musketeers now and I'm so happy he's playing my favourite Musketeer. He's definitely a worth successor (and perhaps surpasses) Oliver Reed and Kiefer Sutherland.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, I miss The Musketeers - you guys talking about it makes me want to watch it all over again! Such a fun show. Tom Burke is excellent in it, yes - I enjoy him as Strike, but these scant few episodes just aren't the same thing as a full season of rollicking costume romp.

Burke has been around for  a while now, in various roles - has quite a pedigree in the acting world, as well. Both his parents are also actors - his dad's best known role was probably Watson in the classic Granada television series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - and Alan Rickman was his godfather.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Llywela said:

his dad's best known role was probably Watson in the classic Granada television series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - and Alan Rickman was his godfather.

Thanks, @Llywela. Now THAT's information I didn't know.  I just knew he was a good actor. I, too, kinda miss the Musketeers  but I'd rather have a show leave me wanting more than leave me hate watching it, so I'm good.

Edited by Anothermi
spelling
On 7/4/2018 at 4:12 AM, MissLucas said:

I first noticed him in 'State of Play' (still not over that cancellation).

State of Play wasn't cancelled.  A second series was commissioned but Paul Abbott first struggled with the script and it never fully came together.  It was a great mini-series.

• Love 1

I guess I'm the only person who does not want Robin and strike together. I'm so tired of the lazy writing and shows where the lead characters always have to have a romantic interest and in general a lot of times there's no chemistry or it just spoils the whole show. I think it would be much more interesting to show him as a mentor to her and it's sad the way they just had to make the fiance just so terribly horrible to make strike, (who clearly has a lot of issues of his own and it's not who I would think of it as a stable life partner) look better. I am much more interested in the backstory on his sketchy friend then I am Robin's romantic life.

The author who's always talking about feminist themes on her Twitter excetera then writes a character who is just waiting for the right man to come and liberate her and show her the way.  Why can't Robin be shown finding her own voice and self after her traumatic attack and just learning how to be herself and make her own decisions that's not connected to some man  or they could show her balancing her new career with her new husband who's not necessarily happy about the job that she has but they make it work.

It is clear that he has a lot of issues of his own especially if you read the books so he is the last thing she needs as a romantic partner.

Honestly if you was television and you would believe that a man and woman can never work together or be partners unless there's some hanky-panky going on.

As cliche as the whole thing is I look for the fiance to end up being a murderer or had something to do with her attack. Why go through the farce of having them get married just to show her leaving him or cheating on him with Strike?  I personally cannot ship characters who know that they want someone else but lead someone else on. In the book he had a girlfriend while he clearly knew that he wanted to pursue something with Robin.  Really if she's interested in Strike then she's no better than the fiance.

I also wish they had made the characters look more the way that they are described in the book.  

I agree they did show her making some pretty stupid decisions that didn't make any sense in the fiance had a right to be concerned about her being out there with less than adequate training.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:35 AM, MissLucas said:

I dunno - that felt a bit rushed. I had to watch this without closed captions so that might be the reason I was struggling. But I feel that several aspects of this plot could have done with a bit of breathing space. First of all the main perp and his motivations. Was he actively looking for a way to get back at Strike and somehow inpsired his little SIL's obsession with Strike? Or did her obsession with Strike give him the idea for his revenge plan? What a coincidence then.

Same goes for Robin. I guess we're supposed to admire her being so feisty and determined to get those creeps at all costs. But some of her actions were really dumb. She know she's being targeted and yet she walks through creepy dark alleys. She decided to enter into an extremely volatile confrontation when she's already injured. Yeah, she had Shanker as back-up outside but if this episode confirmed anything than that he's the worst back-up ever.

And her decision to go through with the wedding could have done with an additional scene or two explaining that decision. I did not find it completely out of the blue but still lacking some insight. 

Mild book spoilers ahead:

Reveal hidden contents

Shanker was better back up in the book. I don't know why that was changed 

• Love 2

I finally broke down and got a Cinemax free trial, because I was just dying to see how the TV show did in bringing the books to life. The Cuckoo's Calling is one of my all-time favorite books. I will say that it seems clear JKR had a hand in casting, because ALL of them so far are spot on. I did picture Strike as uglier, but Tom Burke is doing a great job, right down to the limp he affects. Tony Landry's cool, crisp upper-crust snobbery in his expensive suit, Robin's eagerness and competency, with her red-gold hair, and John Bristow's rabbity affect.

Of course it's impossible to capture the rich inner life of the characters, but I liked how much the show is able to suggest without having to say it flat out, and how much from the books is left in, like: Strike's penury, Robin's excitement at the job, the constant music coming from the other flats, Lula's fashion campaign wearing the angel wings, Rochelle's ugly-yet-expensive jacket and cheap trainers, even the color of Robin's engagement ring. So much of it is so rich when told through JKR's writing, and it really comes to life here.

The idea of Strike and Robin eventually getting together (and that's not a spoiler, since I don't know if that's JKR's final goal) is much easier to believe when seeing them onscreen. Holliday and Tom have this undercurrent of attraction between them. Robin was rather disgusted by the idea of having anything to do with him in the first book, but the show doesn't make it seem all that far-fetched. Of course, in the book Robin was very newly engaged, and the show only hints at the engagement.

On 9/5/2017 at 2:53 AM, VCRTracking said:

I like that Tara Fitzgerald is playing a more poignant version of Tansy Besigui.

Loved Robin taking care of drunk Cormoran.

I always thought the success of this adaptation hinged on us wanting Cormoran and Robin to be together and so far they're doing a great job!

This was my main takeaway from these first three episodes. In the books, it's laughable at first that these two would ever get together, not least of which is because Robin finds him repugnant physically,  because she is engaged, their wildly opposite life experiences at that point, and the breakup with Charlotte was much more raw than the series could possibly go into.

But the TV series - man. The series makes it seem downright plausible and even inevitable. There's a real chemistry there, and the two of them look great together. I found myself rooting for this pairing more than I did in the book series, where I couldn't see it happening at all.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 9/19/2017 at 4:38 PM, MYOS said:

My understanding is that the old lady got confused, since her brain was addled with morphine. It's not made clear in the show but Charley and Strike were both attending an independent (private) school. At least I don't think the series states she was a model rather than a "super groupie" who was drug addicted and died of an oversose.

Another difference is that Robin set this up as per Cormoran's instructions, to attract the killer, and she returns and saves him in a better way than what they showed and Cormoran is more wounded than is shows (she takes him to the emergency room and Matthew comes to pick her up, pretty upset, not because she was in danger but because she prioritized Strike).

I really like the two leads, although Strike should have bad hair and be bigger. :)

I hope Matthew is emphasized more in the next series of episodes. In the  books, he's a world-class pretentious bitch who constantly minimizes Robin's work, hates Strike from the jump, and wishes she would quit for a more "respectable" job. It's also clear in the books that he is extremely threatened by Strike, which is hilarious in some parts as he tries to overcompensate. He's my favorite tertiary character for that alone. I wish they'd shown the scene you described, since it was then that I realized it was all downhill from there with Matthew.

On 9/20/2017 at 12:52 AM, CooperTV said:

When Strike described in the books I always imagine who could play him as young Vincent D'Onofrio. Tim Burke is definitely is too pretty! (Not that I'm complaining!)

Agreed about that. Before the  TV series, I had picture someone like Mad-Eye Moody from the Potter movies - that's how unattractive Strike was described as. But I found myself checking out Tom Burke a lot during his scenes. He's sexy in a boxer-type way - which, incidentally, Strike is.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
(edited)
On 9/12/2017 at 2:30 AM, Ceindreadh said:

Robin is not exactly making a good impression on me. The last story had her cheating the temp agency out of their commission. This ep we have her blowing off her boyfriend so she can work, and lying to him about it. And then driving through private property causuding who knows what damage just to get to her train on time, when if she'd been a bit more supportive to her bereaved fiancé she wouldn't have been there in the first place. Grrr.  

Maybe the books do handle it better, I've only read the third one. Might pick up the others after its finished. 

The books handle it much better. Matthew has really gotten off scot-free in the TV series. In the book he's a passive aggressive tosser who's constantly undermining Robin's work, wishing she'd get a more "respectable" job (and subtly jabs her for not contributing enough to the household), and acts like a complete ass to Strike in their first meeting. And he is not nice about Robin's long hours, even though it's a job she absolutely loves and has always wanted. I'll grant you that she screwed up re: the funeral and the commission from the temp agency. However, I believe a TV series should stand on its own, so I'm hoping they'll develop Robin more. Her storyline is huge in the next book, and I'm hoping for some character development in the TV version.

My screen nearly melted from the looks Strike was giving Robin all episode. These two have electric chemistry, in addition to perfectly fitting their characters physically. I can't get over what a great job Tom and Holliday are doing. I see it more from Tom's end, since Robin IS engaged. You can see his eyes regarding her in every scene, scrutinizing her, trying to figure her out, liking her against his will. It's great stuff.

This was my least favorite of the three books, but having it all condensed is really working for me in terms of enjoyment.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
On 3/4/2018 at 5:05 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I would say this series is more in tune to the books than Grantchester. I say this without having seen "Career of Evil" yet, so I guess a swerve is possible, but with the first two the books and series are fairly similar tonally and plot-wise. I would think the books would be fun to read after watching because they do go deeper into the characters and relationships.

I would agree. I am a huge fan of the book series and although a good chunk was cut out in the TV adaptation, the heart of it is still there and spot on. It is very, very clear that JKR had a big hand in the TV series, in particular because of how absolutely perfect the casting is and how much of the dialogue is intact. So I think huge fans of the book, like me, will be satisfied. I will say that Robin's character development was lacking in the previous episodes, and I'm glad we finally got to fill in some of the gaps this episode.

JKR should heartily thank Holliday and Tom for making Strike and Robin seem more plausible onscreen than on page, though. Their inner monologues from the book make it seem preposterous (at first).

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2
On 7/31/2018 at 1:08 AM, EarlGreyTea said:

The books handle it much better. Matthew has really gotten off scot-free in the TV series. In the book he's a passive aggressive tosser who's constantly undermining Robin's work, wishing she'd get a more "respectable" job (and subtly jabs her for not contributing enough to the household), and acts like a complete ass to Strike in their first meeting. And he is not nice about Robin's long hours, even though it's a job she absolutely loves and has always wanted. I'll grant you that she screwed up re: the funeral and the commission from the temp agency. However, I believe a TV series should stand on its own, so I'm hoping they'll develop Robin more. Her storyline is huge in the next book, and I'm hoping for some character development in the TV version.

Ugh, translation she's probably going to have Strike and Robin hook up around book 5 or 6 then.  (sighs)  So predictable. 

• Love 2

Watching the new Strike is an interesting experience. The first three, I watched on TV before reading the books, so completely took them as they were, but this time around, for the first time, I have not only read the book first, but re-read it recently, so that it is fresh in my memory, and that, it turns out, is a whole different ball game. I find myself watching on two levels. The first is just enjoying the story and the performances, but the other is acutely aware of all the changes that have been made for purposes of TV - the simplification of the plotlines, the contraction and deletion of sub-plots, the shuffling of the sequence of events, the stripping of depth and nuance from all supporting characters (although I notice they couldn't resist adding a note of desperation to Izzy that doesn't exist in the book, because heavens forfend a single woman of 40 be content with her situation, oh no, space has to be found in the story to tell us that of course she is desperate for a man), the amendments made to generate additional drama (my favourite so far was when the noisy little terrier who threatens to draw attention to illegal trespass in the book transformed for TV into two big, vicious German shepherds and a dramatic action sequence!)

But I can live with all that. It’s no more than I’d expect for a TV adaptation of a long and complex book.

What I’m struggling with, however, is the way they all keep mispronouncing the name Geraint. It’s like nails on a chalkboard, wrong almost every time, and yet it really shouldn’t be hard to get right. Emphasis is always on the penultimate syllable, in Welsh. It’s not a difficult rule to remember. GER-aint not Ger-AINT. See, simple! It's like if someone pronounced the name Sarah as Sa-RAH, you don't realise how important the placement of the emphasis is until you hear it done wrong, and it's a minor point in the grand scheme of things, but boy does it grate on the ear!

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Finally, that scene in the third episode we've all been waiting for since all Cormoran/Robin scenes at the wedding.

Spoiler

Robin finally leaving Matt calls for a celebration, at least, even though the marriage was doomed from the start (and was used as a plot device by the author to prolonged the Will They/Won't They aspect). Not that the nest installment will be better in this regard but still, Robin had bit of a insight at last.

I'm not going to talk about the murder mystery aspect of the book and the series, since it's bit of a garbage to begin with.

Well, I haven't read the books but I enjoy this series more than the last ones - not for the obvious reasons but because it feels more compact and streamlined. I thoroughly enjoy the deeply dysfunctional posh family. As for my favorite scene in episode three

Spoiler

that has to be Lorelei reading the riot act to Cormoran. He deserved every word. And when it comes to romantic entanglements Lorelei was the only adult in the room. Watching Robin and Matthew playing happily married felt like watching paint dry and quite frankly I always thought Matthew's character lacked nuance. He shares that 'quality' with Charlotte who made a most unwelcome comeback and I shudder to think of the reasons why she's back. Especially now with what feels like a mild spoiler for non-readers above.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:24 AM, MissLucas said:

Watching Robin and Matthew playing happily married felt like watching paint dry and quite frankly I always thought Matthew's character lacked nuance.

To be honest, I've never got an impression Robin even attempted to play happily married with Matthew. It was like she wanted to pretend to herself their marriage had a chance in the first place (it obviously never did, for various reasons). Matthew all around terrible in the books, and in the show in the previous installments his behavior was somewhat white-washed because it seems the screenwriters thought he'd stick around as Robin's permanent SO. Which wasn't the case at all.

Well, now that all 4 episodes of Lethal White have aired, my main observation is that the story as told in the novel really needed more than 4 episodes, to truly do it justice. They had to boil it down to its basest constituents to fit it all in, and all the sub-plots and characters suffered as a result.

The fifth novel is due out soon and is apparently another 300 pages longer again than Lethal White - this series seems to be going the same way as Harry Potter, getting longer and longer with each successive book. They are definitely going to need more than 4 episodes for that one! Not making quite so many changes or adding any new stuff would be good, too.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Llywela said:

The fifth novel is due out soon and is apparently another 300 pages longer again than Lethal White - this series seems to be going the same way as Harry Potter, getting longer and longer with each successive book. They are definitely going to need more than 4 episodes for that one! Not making quite so many changes or adding any new stuff would be good, too.

It's become an issue with popular authors; their books only get bigger and don't seem to have anyone to edit or question certain things in these books. JKR had this issue with Harry Potter and now with Strike. George R. R. Martin and Diana Gabaldon get away with this too. I love big books but I definitely think most of these authors could have afforded to remove one or two subplots or characters.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

So glad to see this show back.  Lethal White was my least favorite book of the series - not only for the mystery itself (which until watching I had mostly forgotten) and sometimes a book can be too detailed.  For example in the book it was 25 pages just on one tiny scene of Strike at Robin's wedding.

Anyway, I really enjoy the show.  Love both of the lead characters.  A lot of the book was condensed or eliminated (especially Charlotte's scenes which I would have enjoyed seeing).  Still think visually the show is wonderful makes me want to go to London.

This show is so much better than alot of the mysteries on tv and I don't know why it isn't more popular.

I think that was my favorite season so far. Although I felt there were some pacing issues - lots of treading water and then one big reveal after the other in the last episode. But the two leads and their acting made up for that - these two are great together and I enjoy the simmering romance. And the settings are great too - London never fails. One thing I wish for though was a couple of regular secondary characters (who are not romantically involved with Robin or Strike).

I take it that Charlotte is a bit more nuanced in the books? Because her appearances here were abrupt and her firm declaration that she will get Strike back were jarring.

Too bad Rowling is once again falling into the trap of 'more is better' - at least the last two HP novels were in desperate need of a ruthless editor.

13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

One thing I wish for though was a couple of regular secondary characters (who are not romantically involved with Robin or Strike).

Vanessa Ekwensi is a recurring character since Career of Evil, isn't she? Wardle, for some reason, wasn't in it but still, he was there from the beginning.

13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I take it that Charlotte is a bit more nuanced in the books? Because her appearances here were abrupt and her firm declaration that she will get Strike back were jarring.

I don't think so. I know some fans want to see more of Charlotte but in the books she's continuously used as a plot device, to be that toxic presence over Strike's entire romantic life, that he tries to overcome since the book one. I do think that in Lethal White Charlotte was shown as a parallel to Lorelei, with whom Strike actually had a good healthy thing going on because Lorelei is not a Wicked Witch of the West Charlotte is.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I don't think we see a great deal more of Charlotte in the books than we do on TV, but we spend a lot of time inside Strike's head and he spends a lot of time thinking about her, which means we get quite an in-depth understanding of Strike's opinion of Charlotte and their history together, which is not quite the same thing as being allowed to get to know Charlotte herself. That said, their relationship and history are definitely a lot more nuanced in the book, which I think is always going to be the case.

I think one of the problems any adaptation of the Strike novels faces is that these books are quite internal, so to speak. A lot is revealed about the main characters through their inner monologue, which doesn't translate well to the screen. I imagine it would be a lot simpler to adapt Miss Marple or Poirot mysteries, in comparison, because they focus heavily on the case at hand and don't really spend much time exploring the inner lives and relationships and interpersonal dynamics of the detectives.

5 hours ago, CooperTV said:

Vanessa Ekwensi is a recurring character since Career of Evil, isn't she? Wardle, for some reason, wasn't in it but still, he was there from the beginning.

Recurring bit parts aren't really the same thing as a strong secondary cast who are allowed to exist and develop within the story as individuals in their own right. The Strike series doesn't really have any genuine secondary characters. Even occasionally recurring characters are only ever seen or heard of when they are useful to the plot. I mean, an entire sub-plot around Strike's sister and her family was removed from this series because it had no bearing on the main storyline and both Strike and Robin's personal stories could be pushed forward without it. And yet the existence of that sub-plot in the book was really good development for them both and did impact on both of their personal stories, gave Strike in particular much more dimension than he got to have on-screen, so it was a shame to lose it.

Having seen the furore today over the upcoming fifth Strike novel, I think this might be my final foray into the Strike universe. I like the lead characters and really appreciate what they each represent, a disabled man forging his own path through the world and a woman who struggles with her mental health but is still allowed to be good at her job, but that just isn't enough for me to continue engaging with Rowling as her prejudices find their way onto the page more and more.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Wish I had read the books before I watched the show (all 4 series).

Reading Troubled Blood now and I am having trouble 'seeing' the story, or feeling invested, vs what I saw on/from the TV show.

JKR is a talented writer, no doubt, but the tone between the book and TV show are vastly different.  I feel like the story I'm reading is.... I definitely wouldn't say worse, but not quite as enjoyable as the TV version of the stories before it.   jmo.

I think I need to take the time and read all the books before watching Troubled Blood when it comes out, to appreciate the books as their own version vs the TV adaptation.  And I am a person who (usually) always prefers the original print version vs the TV/movie adaptation, but without having read the first four books, the fifth one has been tough to 'get into' & 'feel', per se.

6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Wish I had read the books before I watched the show (all 4 series).

Reading Troubled Blood now and I am having trouble 'seeing' the story, or feeling invested, vs what I saw on/from the TV show.

JKR is a talented writer, no doubt, but the tone between the book and TV show are vastly different.  I feel like the story I'm reading is.... I definitely wouldn't say worse, but not quite as enjoyable as the TV version of the stories before it.   jmo.

I think I need to take the time and read all the books before watching Troubled Blood when it comes out, to appreciate the books as their own version vs the TV adaptation.  And I am a person who (usually) always prefers the original print version vs the TV/movie adaptation, but without having read the first four books, the fifth one has been tough to 'get into' & 'feel', per se.

The books are a lot denser than the show - Rowling spends a lot of time inside the characters' heads, and much of that introspection does not come across on-screen at all. And of course the show also does what all adaptations do: it compresses the story, changes the sequence of events, and removes sub-plots entirely, while also installing additional drama, so that all in all the books and show end up being two completely different experiences. TV!Strike is a much more pleasant person, and not just because he's played by Tom Burke! Like you, I watched the show first, the first three stories, and then read all four novels (then published) before watching the fourth installment of the show. I found I enjoyed the show a lot more before reading the novels, because I had kind of the reverse reaction to you - the books are so much more detailed, so much richer, that the show pales in comparison, for me. Interesting how differently we all react. I've not read Troubled Blood yet, though, and don't intend to.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Was this series cancelled?  Just wondering.  Haven't heard anything about a new season, not even off-handedly or articles wistfully hoping for it.

6 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger have been pictured filming new scenes recently, but I can't for the life of me find where I saw the pictures now, so can't link them, sorry.

A new season had to wait for a whole bunch of things, of course. Rowling had to complete and publish the new book, then it had to be converted into a useable script, then production had to be scheduled around actor availability (both have had a bunch of other projects on the go in the meantime) - plus, of course, there's been the pandemic to complicate things further. But they are now filming.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Since idmb has had Troubled Blood listed for quite some time  I thought they had already filmed it but it appears they are currently filming it.  The Daily Mail has some photos taken in January.  

Holliday Grainger had twins last year so that might also have affected the filming schedule.

This book was by far my least favorite.  It will be interesting to see what they actually film.  The main mystery was good but there was so much other stuff going on and pages and pages of astrology stuff that I skipped over.    There's a lot about Strike and his family and new characters working for Strike so there's more than one case going on.  

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, Llywela said:

Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger have been pictured filming new scenes recently, but I can't for the life of me find where I saw the pictures now, so can't link them, sorry.

A new season had to wait for a whole bunch of things, of course. Rowling had to complete and publish the new book, then it had to be converted into a useable script, then production had to be scheduled around actor availability (both have had a bunch of other projects on the go in the meantime) - plus, of course, there's been the pandemic to complicate things further. But they are now filming.

I am ok with it taking longer to film this new season - due to all the factors you listed, as well as HG's new family additions -  and thus be ready to air at some point in the near-ish future, but I had heard/read zilch about production of a new season.  So I was fearful that they'd just pulled the plug on it.

Thankfully it seems I was anxious for no reason.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
11 hours ago, abbyzenn said:

Since idmb has had Troubled Blood listed for quite some time  I thought they had already filmed it but it appears they are currently filming it. 

imdb is edited by fans, so they probably added it the moment the book was announced/published - but then it took rather longer for all the filming ducks to fall into place!

Absolutely love these books and this show, can't wait to see Troubled Blood whenever they finish filming and hope it will be soon. I am thinking/hoping all the astrology stuff will be left out, as it was tedious and also not really that relevant to the mystery. JKR is a fabulous writer but needed a bit more editing on Book Five. The condensing of the plot for TV might actually benefit the mystery in this case and make things more streamlined. Looking forward to spending more time with Strike and Robin in any format.

I've watched the first two episodes of Troubled Blood.  Glad to have it back as it's one of my favorite shows.  So far they are only concentrating on the main mystery (the missing woman) and Strike's Aunt Joan dying - none of the other cases in the book (although there are 2 new investigators who we see for about 5 minutes) and the astrology stuff which I found so boring in the book and generally skipped over was covered in about 2 minutes.  

This was my least favorite book until the latest one which I found so boring I couldn't finish reading.  But the show is worth watching.

40 minutes ago, abbyzenn said:

I've watched the first two episodes of Troubled Blood.  Glad to have it back as it's one of my favorite shows.  So far they are only concentrating on the main mystery (the missing woman) and Strike's Aunt Joan dying - none of the other cases in the book (although there are 2 new investigators who we see for about 5 minutes) and the astrology stuff which I found so boring in the book and generally skipped over was covered in about 2 minutes.  

This was my least favorite book until the latest one which I found so boring I couldn't finish reading.  But the show is worth watching.

I agree 100% with your last paragraph.  We just finished the fourth book, and it ended up pretty well after a WHOLE lot of boring stuff.  Too many side stories.  Had they been eliminated, the book could have been a lot shorter . . . but J. K. Rowling (Robert Galbraith) does make books in a series longer as time goes on.

We may join you in your decision to not finish The Ink Black Heart.  B.O.R.I.N.G.

Finished watching Troubled Blood and enjoyed it.  I think they did a great job concentrating on the core mystery rather than all the   extraneous stuff in the book.   Although this made a few things seem to come out of nowhere -for example Robin's dealing with one of the new detectives working for her and Strike but one can enjoy the show without actually reading the book.

I was really impressed with Tom Burke who was especially good in this season - his face/eyes are so expressive.  

As always enjoyed the cinematography with the great scenes of London.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Great.  We've been waiting for the next season.  We'll probably binge the whole thing in one day.  LOL.

I get the sense that it's airing weekly so you might have to wait until March.