Type keyword(s) to search

Strike / C. B. Strike - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I guess anyone who might be interested in this is living outside the UK and hasn't seen it yet?

Well, I'm in the UK and have watched eps 1 and 2, with the concluding part 3 still to come next Sunday. I have never read the book and know basically nothing about this universe going in, but I have really enjoyed the first two episodes, which are rich in character and worldbuilding. I was confident I would enjoy Tom Burke's performance and did, but am also really liking Holliday Grainger as Robin - I'm not sure I've seen her work before. So far, a thumbs up from me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm so far very disappointed with this series. The main culprit is the direction which is really pedestrian. A lot of walking in the streets and in and out of buildings, and some boring music is misused in the opening shots and overused thereafter. Many key lines are mumbled or edited off camera. Not really impressed here with Holiday Grainger who relies too much on "bemused". Tom Burke is a good fit on paper but even he telegraphs too broadly in the "interviewing suspects and witnesses" scenes. Or maybe they both were directed this way. In any case, a big meh, sadly.

• Love 1

This is one of my all-time favorite books and I'm really salty that it's not aired here in the USA yet. I know the series couldn't possibly convey all the nuances of the book, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

I will say that I pictured Strike much uglier (think Brendan Gleeson as Moody in the Potter films) and older, so the casting of Tom Burke is interesting to me. Interesting as in, it figures they wouldn't go for broke and cast someone unattractive with pube hair. Usually British TV is pretty good about casting people who look like regular Joes.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

re Burke, I find his looks quirky enough (I wonder if he had a cleft palate as a baby?) he is not a pretty boy, but what in the hell is up with the "emo" cop that he is working with, LOL?, I have never read Strike books, but I loved the Potter books and I also loved The Casual Vacancy, so I am enjoying this so far. Grainger is, of course, ridiculously beautiful (how was she written in the books?) I have a suspicion on who dun it--but I am hoping that I am wrong.  I am sure that BBCAmerica will pick this up or maybe Masterpiece Mystery? I use the dark arts to see it here in the USA.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LiveenLetLive said:

re Burke, I find his looks quirky enough (I wonder if he had a cleft palate as a baby?) he is not a pretty boy, but what in the hell is up with the "emo" cop that he is working with, LOL?, I have never read Strike books, but I loved the Potter books and I also loved The Casual Vacancy, so I am enjoying this so far. Grainger is, of course, ridiculously beautiful (how was she written in the books?) I have a suspicion on who dun it--but I am hoping that I am wrong.  I am sure that BBCAmerica will pick this up or maybe Masterpiece Mystery? I use the dark arts to see it here in the USA.

Robin was described as blond, I think, with "milkmaid coloring" and curvy. She was by all the characters' accounts, very beautiful.  Grainger is stunning, of course. 

19 hours ago, LiveenLetLive said:

re Burke, I find his looks quirky enough (I wonder if he had a cleft palate as a baby?)

He did, yes. He also, very quietly, comes from quite a fine acting pedigree, and has been excellent in everything of his I've seen.

Dolorous Edd!!! That took me out of the episode for a moment. So I guess we've covered book one now. I really liked it but then I liked Tom Burke in everything I've seen him so far (and I'm still not over the cancellation of The Hour). I wish they had given us a bit more about Cormoran Strike's backstory, all the people making either pitiful or smirking hints finally caused me to check out Wikipedia. Chemistry between Cormoran and Robin is good, we've already got some interesting secondary characters and the show is providing us with plenty of shots of Cormoran (hero-)walking the very pretty streets of London - so I'm in for the next round.

• Love 1

Alas I had figured out who dun it at the end of episode 2--however, I have decided not to care if I can solve mysteries ahead of time or not, I liked all the details and the leads, and I hope that they do another series (and that Americans get a chance to see the show as well.)

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

This series/season is not over yet - there are two more episodes. Reviews are mostly positive. I can't imagine BBC America won't pick this up.

Oh good, I look forward to seeing the remaining episodes. Rowling may not be original but she is a cracking story teller.

14 hours ago, LiveenLetLive said:

Alas I had figured out who dun it at the end of episode 2--however, I have decided not to care if I can solve mysteries ahead of time or not, I liked all the details and the leads, and I hope that they do another series (and that Americans get a chance to see the show as well.)

I read the books so guessing the culprit can't matter to me.

As for another series, they're already doing the other 2 books.

As for the US, HBO has already purchased the rights.

I really enjoyed this. I enjoyed the characters and the style of the storytelling, the atmosphere it created - the good old-fashioned legwork involved for a detective without access to much in the way of fancy resources.

I did wonder, when they started going on about Lula supposedly meeting a secret lover on the night she died, why no one pointed out that she really wasn't wearing the sort of outfit a top model would wear to meet a secret lover - but I also really appreciated that small detail, uncommented on in the text but still present for viewers to notice, to flesh out Lula's life, and the fact that the casual outfit we saw her select in the opening sequence makes perfect sense once we know what that secret meeting was really all about.

On 8/31/2017 at 1:04 PM, EarlGreyTea said:
On 8/31/2017 at 10:44 AM, LiveenLetLive said:

Robin was described as blond, I think, with "milkmaid coloring" and curvy. She was by all the characters' accounts, very beautiful.  Grainger is stunning, of course. 

Yeah, Robin is supposed to be a headturner. What I liked is she had a Yorkshire accent because she's from the North of England, but when I read I always forget that and imagine her with the usual RP accent. The accents she puts on the phone like the "chav" one impersonating Lulu's friend from Rochelle and later a Welsh one to fool the temp agency was great.

I like the adaptation so far. I like the actors playing Cormoran and Robin. We do miss a lot of their inner thoughts from the books(Rowling is great and writing the inner life of her characters).  One thing that makes it better than the book is not having to see the word "prosthesis" a hundred times!

• Like 1

I like that Tara Fitzgerald is playing a more poignant version of Tansy Besigui.

Loved Robin taking care of drunk Cormoran.

I always thought the success of this adaptation hinged on us wanting Cormoran and Robin to be together and so far they're doing a great job!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

It's interesting they changed Strike's mom from being a notorious groupie(who had affairs with every rock star in the 70s) in the book to being a former model.

I always loved the bit with Strike giving Robin the green dress although in the book the dress was more tight and sexy, whereas in the adaptation it was more glamorous.

These  decisions kind of make the adaptation not as gritty as book and I wonder if it was due to knowing who the real author was. Like if we still thought it was "ex serviceman Robert Galbraith" and not famous children's author JK Rowling it would've been more seedy.

I thought They decided to mimimize the film producer's role, which is just as well because he turned out to be a big red herring, but I liked Strike's antagonism with him in the book.

Edited by VCRTracking

Well that was quite gruesome. I love Quine's wife - Monica Dolan is giving a terrific performance. As is Sarah Gordy who I recognized from Call the Midwife (Dolan was also on that show playing twins but I had forgotten about her). Cold move by Robin to just let her fiancé deal with his grief. I get what they are going for here but I wish they were more subtle about it. Maybe it was handled better in the books.

Plenty of red herrings and some good intrigue. The world of publishing as a sharks pool - Galbraith would know.

7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Well that was quite gruesome. I love Quine's wife - Monica Dolan is giving a terrific performance. As is Sarah Gordy who I recognized from Call the Midwife (Dolan was also on that show playing twins but I had forgotten about her). Cold move by Robin to just let her fiancé deal with his grief. I get what they are going for here but I wish they were more subtle about it. Maybe it was handled better in the books.

Plenty of red herrings and some good intrigue. The world of publishing as a sharks pool - Galbraith would know.

Robin is not exactly making a good impression on me. The last story had her cheating the temp agency out of their commission. This ep we have her blowing off her boyfriend so she can work, and lying to him about it. And then driving through private property causuding who knows what damage just to get to her train on time, when if she'd been a bit more supportive to her bereaved fiancé she wouldn't have been there in the first place. Grrr.  

Maybe the books do handle it better, I've only read the third one. Might pick up the others after its finished. 

On 12.09.2017 at 10:30 AM, Ceindreadh said:

Maybe the books do handle it better, I've only read the third one. Might pick up the others after its finished. 

Spoiler

And in in the third one we found one he was cheating on her for 18 months with the person he currently friends/flirts with. Not exactly an amazing romantic partner, that Matthew.

On 12/09/2017 at 8:30 AM, Ceindreadh said:

Robin is not exactly making a good impression on me. The last story had her cheating the temp agency out of their commission. This ep we have her blowing off her boyfriend so she can work, and lying to him about it. And then driving through private property causuding who knows what damage just to get to her train on time, when if she'd been a bit more supportive to her bereaved fiancé she wouldn't have been there in the first place. Grrr. 

It's not like the boyfriend is a prince either. In nearly every scene he's been passive aggressive and/or patronising. Not to mention mocking a man over an injury suffered in war.

The 'we went to school together and now we're getting married because it feels like we should ' storyline is sadly realistic. These two might have been great as a couple when they were fifteen, but they're in for a world of misery if they get married. The show certainly isn't subtle in sign-posting that.

This show took a turn for the gruesome that I wasn't expecting in this episode, especially after the rather PG murder in the first three episodes. And I've never read any of JK Rowling's work, but the theme of arrogant, superior literary types sneering at each other isn't subtle either.

Still like the central performances, though. Burke is much better here than he was as a musketeer, and does a good line in nobly tortured. Grainger is winsomely charming and engaging, but the part is a little underwritten in terms of her motivations.

• Love 2
On 9/12/2017 at 0:30 AM, Ceindreadh said:

In the book, it's winter and to show Robin's a great driver, on the way to interview the publisher, the road is icy and there was an truck accident ahead on the highway and Robin avoids it saving their lives which impresses Strike. I think the adaptation was probably more cost effective in showing how skilled she is at driving. Also in the book it's traffic in a snow storm that causes them to almost be late and she spends hours worrying she's not going to make it and feeling enormously guilty:

Her imagination showed her Matthew’s face if she had to telephone him and say that she was not coming, that she had missed the sleeper. His mother’s funeral… who misses a funeral? She should have been there already, at Matt’s father’s house, helping with arrangements, taking some of the strain. Her weekend bag ought already to have been sitting in her old bedroom at home, her funeral clothes pressed and hanging in her old wardrobe, everything ready for the short walk to the church the following morning. They were burying Mrs Cunliffe, her future mother-in-law, but she had chosen to drive off into the snow with Strike, and now they were gridlocked, two hundred miles from the church where Matthew’s mother would be laid to rest.
He’ll never forgive me. He’ll never forgive me if I miss the funeral because I did this…

‘You’ll make it,’ said Strike, speaking for the first time since he had turned on the radio as they waited their turn to be waved forwards by the traffic cop. ‘It’ll be tight, but you’ll make it.’
Robin did not answer. She knew it was all her fault, not his: he had offered her the day off. It was she who had been insistent on coming with him to Devon, she who had lied to Matthew about the availability of train seats today. She ought to have stood all the way from London to Harrogate rather than miss Mrs Cunliffe’s funeral. Strike had been with Charlotte sixteen years, on and off, and the job had broken them. She did not want to lose Matthew. Why had she done this; why had she offered to drive Strike?

Also the book details that it's been months since the Lula Landry case and Robin's been helping Strike out a lot and loving detective work(we find out it was something she was always interested in) so she does feel really unappreciated by him when he says he's going to take on a partner.

On 9/13/2017 at 4:28 PM, Danny Franks said:

This show took a turn for the gruesome that I wasn't expecting in this episode, especially after the rather PG murder in the first three episodes.

Well, you better steel yourself for book three("Career of Evil") because it gets going to get into some dark and grisly places. I think JK Rowling said she had nightmares from doing research for it!

8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

In the book, it's winter and to show Robin's a great driver, on the way to interview the publisher, the road is icy and there was an truck accident ahead on the highway and Robin avoids it saving their lives which impresses Strike. I think the adaptation was probably more cost effective in showing how skilled she is at driving. Also in the book it's traffic in a snow storm that causes them to almost be late and she spends hours worrying she's not going to make it and feeling enormously guilty:

Also the book details that it's been months since the Lula Landry case and Robin's been helping Strike out a lot and loving detective work(we find out it was something she was always interested in) so she does feel really unappreciated by him when he says he's going to take on a partner.

Thanks for adding those paragraphs from the books. It's a good illustration how character development can get lost in the (necessary) compression of narratives for a tv adaptation. At least they seem to be willing to keep the core dynamics intact unlike certain other recent mystery adaptations *cough*Grantchester*cough*

• Love 1

I watched both episodes last night and I really enjoy Jo Rowling skewering the publishing industry, I also think that the story captures how torn women can be, Robin feels torn between her job and her BF, I understand the yearning for fulfillment through a job, but also wanting to support your partner, I thought that theme was extremely well done. As for the outcome, my only question is how the killer managed all that? not the most robust murderer I have seen, LOL. Anyway, I hope that there will be another series--I don't mind dark, I like the fact that Rowling is free to stretch out into adult themes, the woman is a cracking story teller.

• Love 1

I really like this show. I like how the stories they are based on have allowed Rowling to explore all the dark things she's encountered in the land of super fame. 

Also, I feel a little sorry for the fiance. Robin is all about Mr. Strike- the job, the one legged sad dude. All of it. 

His ex is mean- why would she send her wedding pictures to him? 

5 hours ago, Pogojoco said:

His ex is mean- why would she send her wedding pictures to him? 

I think they toned down Charlotte's behavior by a lot in the show (I assume tv time constraints are at fault).

Book spoilers:

Spoiler

According to books, Charlotte is really toxic person that always used emotional manipulation, arguments, verbal and even physical violence to "spice" things out between herself and Strike, since they were 19-years-olds. I think the thing with imaginary baby she tried to manipulate him with (it was in the Silkworm's first episode) was the last straw for him, plus Strike found out she was cheating on him with her current fiance Jago Ross for a year and she still said that not only the imaginary baby existed, it was from Strike and  in the text message she implied she made abortion.

The narrative is too compressed at times, a lot of subtlety and character psychology disappears in this one compared to the book.

We learn Robin had to drop out of university as she was about to get a First in Psychology, hoping to join the police, and to distract her from what had happened she took the advanced driving course. The scene in the book is much more striking (Robin saves both their lives with her skills) and highlights to Cormoran his prejudice that women can't be good drivers, hence his reluctance to be driven by Robin, as well as his trauma over being driven (because he was blown up in a car).

Any idea why Michael Fancourt ends up called Andrew Fancourt in the series? (Is there a "real" Michael Fancourt somewhere so they had to switch it?)

I feared the way they'd depict the body, but they managed to keep it grisly without making it as awful as my imagination had started to make it.

My understanding is that the old lady got confused, since her brain was addled with morphine. It's not made clear in the show but Charley and Strike were both attending an independent (private) school. At least I don't think the series states she was a model rather than a "super groupie" who was drug addicted and died of an oversose.

Another difference is that Robin set this up as per Cormoran's instructions, to attract the killer, and she returns and saves him in a better way than what they showed and Cormoran is more wounded than is shows (she takes him to the emergency room and Matthew comes to pick her up, pretty upset, not because she was in danger but because she prioritized Strike).

I really like the two leads, although Strike should have bad hair and be bigger. :)

8 hours ago, MYOS said:

I really like the two leads, although Strike should have bad hair and be bigger. :)

When Strike described in the books I always imagine who could play him as young Vincent D'Onofrio. Tim Burke is definitely is too pretty! (Not that I'm complaining!)

I was surprised that it was only two episodes as opposed to three but I guess so much of the book was that fake "Bombyx Mori" that they used in snippets.

Also I'm glad they cut out a certain character. The person wasn't really necessary for the plot and unless they were careful and delicate in the depiction they would have gotten a lot of criticisms.

Edited by VCRTracking
2 hours ago, CooperTV said:
  Hide contents

No, they cut out the unstable trans girl that considered Quine and his mistress her family and who was stalking and attacking Strike .

Oh, I see. Thanks for the answer!

I think too much was cut, it really should have been 3 episodes.
The ending, where Robin

Spoiler

catches the murderer and gets hurt in the process

is more streamlined than the one in the book. I wish they'd been able to keep the initial red herring, the park, etc.

14 hours ago, CooperTV said:

Did they cut out 

Hide contents

the victim's daughter?

That turned out to be one of the best things about the adaptation. The emotional focus was on Owen's wife's arrest separating her from their daughter. The actress(who has Down's Syndrome  IRL) playing Orlando was  great and both Strike and Robin's interactions with her were so sweet.

Here's an interview with Orlando's actress Sarah Gordy at Strikefans.com:

http://strikefans.com/exclusive-interview-with-sarah-gordy-orlando-quine/

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

That turned out to be one of the best things about the adaptation. The emotional focus was on Owen's wife's arrest separating her from their daughter. The actress(who has Down's Syndrome  IRL) playing Orlando was  great and both Strike and Robin's interactions with her were so sweet.

Here's an interview with Orlando's actress Sarah Gordy at Strikefans.com:

http://strikefans.com/exclusive-interview-with-sarah-gordy-orlando-quine/

I'm glad it was portrayed so well. I hope I get to see the episode soon!

On 9/20/2017 at 0:00 AM, VCRTracking said:

I was surprised that it was only two episodes as opposed to three but I guess so much of the book was that fake "Bombyx Mori" that they used in snippets.

Also I'm glad they cut out a certain character. The person wasn't really necessary for the plot and unless they were careful and delicate in the depiction they would have gotten a lot of criticisms.

can you explain a bit about the character you are referring to using spoiler tags in case someone wants to read the book? 

One other thing I like is figuring out what Rowling is using for inspiration, she is clearly very well read in many areas, mythology for example. In this 2 parter I believe that she was thinking of Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes as the jumping off point for the writer whose wife committed suicide (in exactly the same fashion Plath killed herself.)

55 minutes ago, LiveenLetLive said:

can you explain a bit about the character you are referring to using spoiler tags in case someone wants to read the book? 

Spoiler

Wikipedia:

Pippa Midgley – a transgender woman undergoing therapy ahead of gender reassignment surgery. She becomes enamoured with Quine after taking a creative writing course he taught; Quine, in turn, was inspired by her personal story as it dovetailed with his original novel.

• Love 1

Decided to go ahead and watch the British broadcasts of these since it's not worth waiting when I don't have Cinemax. Got through the first episode and I wasn't sure if my enjoyment was based solely on my love of the books, but then I got to the end of this episode and TB's performance as drunken Cormoran was awesome. I'm in!

• Love 1

Robin arrives at the office to accept a package from a courier in a rush. When she opens it, she is horrified to discover a severed leg inside.

Strike begins to pull together a list of potential suspects from his past, all of whom have vendettas against him. One of the names, Jeff Whittaker, relates directly to Strike's dead mother Leda. He brings in Shanker to help him, while Robin begins to research all three suspects.

Strike and Robin's close working relationship begins to rile Robin's fiance Matthew, and the couple descend into rows. Adding pressure to the relationship, the investigation takes Robin away to Barrow-in-Furness with Strike overnight.

*crickets*

Well I'll give it a go then. I appreciated the rather straightforward presentation of the case: one crime, three suspects. I found last season's storytelling sometimes quite meandering and think the narrative here was more streamlined. That left space for more character-based scenes and flashbacks. I'm somewhat conflicted about Robin's traumatic past - there's a danger to enter trope territory. It did of course explain a lot about her and her motivations. It certainly adds another layer to her relationship with Strike and ultimately it's going to be the tool to remove Matthew from the story. So all in all the pros outweigh the cons. 

• Love 1

They cut out a lot of the book, it seems. I mean, I'm all for it because all the serial killer POV stuff was not the most engaging part of the book. But still. I do think it was great idea for the writers to focus entirely on Robin&Cormoran doing their thing and being friends with sexual tension. Their individuals journeys/stories are paralleled so well here, and the actors sell everything they've been given so far. (On the shallow note: clean-shaven Tom Burke in Strike's flashback looks great!).

The entire Matthew thing is going to be frustrating, if they're doing it like in the book. *sigh*

On 28.02.2018 at 7:35 PM, MissLucas said:

It certainly adds another layer to her relationship with Strike and ultimately it's going to be the tool to remove Matthew from the story.

Matthew being written out couldn't happen fast enough, yet I think we'll be suffering through his presence for a while.

I haven't read the books, but enjoyed the first episode, although preposterous emo cop is back, and even though he has worked with Strike before, is all too quick to consider him a murder suspect. I do so hope that the series takes its time to get to the inevitable romance between Strike and Robin--the chemistry is very good by the way. I also like how they are unwinding Strike's past and what happened to his mother and so forth.

Just found this forum for the show.  I really enjoy this series.  Been waiting a long time for this 3rd installment.  I admit that while I've read the books I don't remember the actually killer!

Anyway, I think this show is wonderfully filmed.  I love the London street scenes - from the lovely buildings of the victim in the 1st show to the more grittier street scenes.  Liked that in this episode they went out of London.

Have never seen Tom Burke before but I love him in this.  And I think Holliday Grainger is always good.  I like the on-screen chemistry between the two.

Wish there were more books - or that they'd just do some original screenplays.

• Love 1

I'd been putting off watching this episode until my Other Half could watch it with me, but then we got snowed in to separate towns, so I gave in and watched ahead of the second installment tonight. Enjoyed spending time with Cormoran and Robin again - I really liked Tom Burke in The Musketeers, so it's good to see him doing well here. Convenient that Robin's traumatic past comes out just in time to be relevant to a case in which one of the suspects is a child rapist, but then we did already know that there was some kind of trauma in her past, so it isn't out of left field, so to speak. I haven't read any of the books - I usually find it best not to, if there's a TV adaptation, because I always find it frustrating comparing the one to the other - but now that show has caught up with books, I might check them out.