Type keyword(s) to search

The Murder Of Laci Peterson - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My WTF moment was the witness who supposedly saw Laci at the park walking the dog when she was on her smoke break at the hospital. Did you see how far away she would have been? And not only did she claim to be able to ID a pregnant woman in a certain outfit with a certain breed of dog, she also apparently claimed to be able to identify "white markings" on the dog's coat consistent with Laci's dog's coat. From that distance?!

My other "Are you kidding me?" is Scott claiming his hair, eyebrows, and goatee were lightened by swimming a lot in a neighbor's pool. That doesn't happen... I mean, it could turn a blond haired person's hair a little greenish in a certain light if they were swimming constantly, but it doesn't consistently dye all of your hair uniformly a completely different color!

• Love 15

think the appellate defense team was arguing that Karen was wrong about the time she returned the dog - so her testimony/statements should have been challenged from the get-go.  

I don't think they could. She had time/date stamped receipts from Trader Joe's and an ATM.  They couldn't dispute her timeline, so that's why they are relying heavily on the theory now, that when she returned the dog - it was before Laci took her walk.

I find this hard to believe because they made it seem like it was not unusual for Mackenzie to be "hanging out" in front of their house - by herself.

From what I understood - the mailman coming at 10:30 to an open gate and no dog barking means that's when they were both gone on their walk. 

Also - per this documentary, they said that the prosecution made a mistake by not viewing the Martha Show.  The prosecution states that meringue wasn't mentioned on 12/24. The defense counters with it was.  

This show failed to even mention, that when the meringue was mentioned, it was 48 minutes into the show.

So let's say Scott left right after 9:48, something happens between 9:48 and 10:18? 

What is the likelihood of that? 

By 10:18, Karen Servas had found the dog and returned her to the yard. 

• Love 3
On 09/21/2017 at 9:43 AM, Jillybean said:

I could hardly watch this episode because it was alternately ridiculous and infuriating. Other than Scott's sister and SIL, the "SPA Team" just seems like a bunch of women with no lives who have devoted themselves to proving the innocence of a complete stranger. 

Did I misunderstand, or would this show have me believe that it's possible that some burglars (or some gang of killers) kidnapped Laci, held her for 10 days, then killed her and dumped her body in the bay on or after January 3??

This show should not have been called "The Murder of Laci Peterson." It should have been "The Wrongful Conviction of Scott Peterson" or something along those lines. The show was all about Scott, not Laci.

At the point they reiterated that ridiculous theory for the umpteenth time, I finally had enough and switched it off and deleted it. I just couldn't take it anymore. I rarely will not see even the worst dreck to the end because of my curiosity, but this nonsense just bit it. Scott's not just a jerk, he's a murdering jerk, and for me, the most telling single thing was not answering his phone during that tv interview while she was still missing. He was too self involved and stupid to even fake it after she went missing.

• Love 4

I think these people who claim they saw her walking the dog could have been seeing someone with similar looks, all bundled up.

There was another pregnant woman in that area walking her dog that morning. Police identified her during their investigation and determined it was not Lacy that all these witnesses claimed they saw but rather this other woman. Did this series tell us that information? No. We did not hear from anyone who could refute these nonsensical claims. This whole show was little more than propaganda.

• Love 9
On 9/22/2017 at 1:02 PM, chabelisaywow said:

I don't think they could. She had time/date stamped receipts from Trader Joe's and an ATM.  They couldn't dispute her timeline, so that's why they are relying heavily on the theory now, that when she returned the dog - it was before Laci took her walk.

I find this hard to believe because they made it seem like it was not unusual for Mackenzie to be "hanging out" in front of their house - by herself.

From what I understood - the mailman coming at 10:30 to an open gate and no dog barking means that's when they were both gone on their walk. 

Also - per this documentary, they said that the prosecution made a mistake by not viewing the Martha Show.  The prosecution states that meringue wasn't mentioned on 12/24. The defense counters with it was.  

This show failed to even mention, that when the meringue was mentioned, it was 48 minutes into the show.

So let's say Scott left right after 9:48, something happens between 9:48 and 10:18? 

What is the likelihood of that? 

By 10:18, Karen Servas had found the dog and returned her to the yard. 

Ooh, this is a great point. 

On 9/23/2017 at 5:30 AM, renatae said:

Scott's not just a jerk, he's a murdering jerk, and for me, the most telling single thing was not answering his phone during that tv interview while she was still missing. He was too self involved and stupid to even fake it after she went missing.

Yes, this really seals the deal for me too. 

IIRC, there's a story in Catherine Crier's book about one of the detectives (Brocchini maybe) who called in a fake tip to the tip hotline that Scott (or the Petersons) had set up just to see if they would turn it over to police. It was something about someone seeing a truck pulling a boat on the highway and it looked like something was in the boat. It was never turned in. 

And it it was hard just seeing the sketches of both remains on the beach. I can't even imagine it IRL. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Emkat said:

It did make me wonder how he got her and the cement blocks into the water without flipping the boat.

It's always been my belief he killed and dumped her the night before.  Laci's sister said that the remnants of clothing found on her were what she was wearing the night before.  I know that doesn't mean she couldn't have put them on the next day as well, but that seemed fishy.  Someone, in an effort to prove his innocence, said you could go in to the marina, even after it was closed, and no one was around to stop you, so it's entirely possible he drove in and dumped her somewhere without the boat.  The expert on the current of the water had his testimony called in to question, and I'm not 100% sure that's an exact science.   His half-sister who believes he's guilty said that he got drunk one night and was watching the news, and blurted out "They're looking in the wrong place".  I wouldn't put it past him to take the boat out the next day to be sure she was under the water and hadn't floated up.  Just my opinion.

• Love 6
On 9/13/2017 at 4:37 PM, Arynm said:

I went looking for the article mentioned above from the sister and wow! Her name is Anne Bird and it really shows what a sociopath he was.

The part that stuck with me the most was when the sister found out about the affair. She confronted Scott and he said that Laci was mad for a day but then "she got over it". Excuse me?

The only way that timeline works is if Laci found out about the affair and was pissed, confronted Scott and he killed her! She got over it because she was dead. Probably makes perfect sense to Scott.

This is the link I read

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7047103/ns/dateline_nbc/t/scott-petersons-sister-speaks-out/

To this day, I think thats what really happened. She confronted him, they got into an all out fight and when all was said and done, she was dead. Ive no doubt he did it, but I dont think he planned it ahead of time.

• Love 4

I dunno. There's a lot that points to premeditation:  the secret boat (paid for in cash), the fishing license purchased a few days before, the concrete for the anchors, even the way he told Amber Frey that he'd "lost his wife" and this would be his first Christmas without her.

I've always wondered why Scott didn't come clean about Amber Frey right and use it as part of his story. He could have told the cops Laci discovered the affair and stormed off in anger...that he didn't immediately call her parents looking for her because he was ashamed and worried about what they'd say...that he went fishing because he needed to cool off and think. Stuff like that. If he hadn't tried to cover up the Amber thing and hadn't lied so much, the prosecution really wouldn't have had as strong a case.

• Love 5
On 9/28/2017 at 7:14 AM, Emkat said:

It did make me wonder how he got her and the cement blocks into the water without flipping the boat.

My guess is he put the cement blocks over the back of the boat, and then pushed her a little, and the wrapped bodies were overboard, and the boat was still floating.    I can't see any other reason for Peterson to go out on the ocean that day, in a boat that was really too small for the conditions. 

• Love 1
On 5/24/2021 at 4:32 PM, iwantcookies said:

If Laci miscarried she might still be alive. 

Not necessarily. While most experts agree that the third trimester is the most dangerous time for a woman, precisely because it's obvious that she's NOT going to miscarry/have an abortion/give the kid up for adoption, women have been killed even when they weren't that far along--Lori Hacking, Grace Brown--and there was still plenty of time for any of those things to happen.

Scott had been cheating on Laci for years, to the point where one of the other women walked in on him and Laci, instead of the usual other way around--and thought it was SHE who was being cheated on. Her pregnancy may have been the final nail in her coffin, so to speak, but I think she was doomed regardless.

On 10/12/2017 at 5:46 PM, Carolyn Keene said:

dunno. There's a lot that points to premeditation:  the secret boat (paid for in cash), the fishing license purchased a few days before, the concrete for the anchors, even the way he told Amber Frey that he'd "lost his wife" and this would be his first Christmas without her.

I agree. If it had been impulsive, his story would have been pathetically transparent and he would have been arrested by the end of the first day, like with Mark Hacking. One of the most chilling aspects of this story is realizing how long he'd been planning this, even as she was growing bigger with child--HIS child.

• Love 2