Type keyword(s) to search

Jax And Brittany Take Kentucky - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Jax Taylor and his southern belle girlfriend, Brittany Cartwright, visit her family on their Kentucky farm; Jax is a fish out of water as he tries to embrace the southern lifestyle while making a lasting impression on Brittany's family and friends.

I made it through 14 minutes before deleting this episode and cancelling the OnePass on my DVR.

Not sure why they have store bought eggs with so many chickens.

Bad move, Jax.  You don't compare an obviously scripted sassy grandma to LVP.

This could win the prize for Bravo's worst show ever.

• Love 4

I haven't watched yet and it sounds like I haven't missed much by not watching but, of course, I still will look for it. 

I wonder about the "rumors" Jax and Brittany have split..they came out denying it but I wonder if they're covering up their breakup thinking if they're not together it could affect the ratings for this spin off..

Edited by Rebecca

I didn't plan on watching but I work from home and Bravo stuff makes good background during long nights.  To my surprise, I actually liked it...for what it is - light and breezy entertainment.

The dad has Jax's number.  Will be interesting to see how long Jax and Brittany make it.  I read an interview recently that they are not as close anymore.

I actually like Jax.  He's a cad for sure but he has the capacity for self awareness and growth and he's working on himself - albeit slowly.  He's personable and you can tell he really enjoys children. He'll be a great dad when the time comes.  Great husband is another story.   I can't tell if he and Brittany are right for one another.  I think they are close but maybe not all the way there to make a good marriage.

I think Brittany needs to take care of herself and not wait for him.   I'll feel really badly for her if they don't make it.  On the other hand, and as with all things, it takes two to tango.  I really hope she does what's best for herself.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 5

imo Jax as a husband and father is a really bad bet - both require putting the welfare of others first.

Jax as an untrustworthy, badly behaved, fun-to-party-with acquaintance seems about right to me.

But I do get why they'd pair this bad city boy and good country girl for a spin-off - it's an ancient formula that has its charms. I'm game for now.

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

I made it through 14 minutes before deleting this episode and cancelling the OnePass on my DVR.

Not sure why they have store bought eggs with so many chickens.

Bad move, Jax.  You don't compare an obviously scripted sassy grandma to LVP.

This could win the prize for Bravo's worst show ever.

Yeah it was pretty painful to slog through.  These 2 don't even seem to like each other - I'm not sure why B is dying to get engaged to him.  If she thinks somebody like Jax is going to change once he is married (and even has a kid or 2) I think she is in for a rude awakening. 

• Love 2

I don't get why her family would be pressuring him to marry her. I'd be doing just the opposite. Jax is not the type of son-in-law I'D want. He can't even go a few weeks without a drink, he has to hide alcohol in the back of the car like a 16-year-old.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I don't get why her family would be pressuring him to marry her.

With their heavily religious background they may be pressuring for the marriage as their daughter as she is living 'in sin' with Jax. I'm sure that they'd agree that he doesn't have great husband/father potential but if that's their daughters choice and where her heart is, they may just want for her to be happy. Short term yes (it got her on tv with a much better job (the VR paycheck) and some small town kudos for 'making it big'. Sadly I don't think their relationship will go the distance. 

I thought it was very telling that when Jax was fakely telling mom and grandma that he picked out a ring, mom said "Jax Taylor is going to be my son-in-law." That tells me all that I need to know. Brittany purposely sought out Jax.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I don't get why her family would be pressuring him to marry her. I'd be doing just the opposite. Jax is not the type of son-in-law I'D want. He can't even go a few weeks without a drink, he has to hide alcohol in the back of the car like a 16-year-old.

I truly hope that stashing the alcohol in his truck was producer driven for a storyline - yes, incredibly juvenile.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nexxie said:

I truly hope that stashing the alcohol in his truck was producer driven for a storyline - yes, incredibly juvenile.

He had other people over there besides Brittany. I hope none were her underage relatives. 

• Love 1

I feel like the marriage pressure is also an effort to smoke out Jax's intentions--he can say "We're headed towards marriage" all he wants, but if the drip, drip, drip of "When are we getting married?" keeps up, he's more likely to drop it. And all of them (except Mama and her Wet N Wild #194 left over from 1988) would probably be happy with that outcome.

I would rather watch a spinoff of Kristen Doute sitting around her apartment smoking and drinking all day.    

Brittany's cheerful determination to be Mrs Jax Taylor is almost as baffling as her mom's choice of lipstick.   

• Love 6

God this show is idiotic. Even worse than I expected. How was this ever greenlit??

I especially cannot stand the grizzled-yet-so-aware-of-cameras grandma and her overly aggressive attempts at humor, along with the forced way everyone just awkwardly titters at her randomly stupid comments. You just knew they'd find some annoying old lady like that to fit the typical snarky old mee-maw stereotype. Sophia Pettrillo/Granny Clampitt you are not, Brit's granny.

I honestly hope they break up. Seriously. She's way too sweet for Jax's STD-riddled ass. He needs an equally bitchy slut like Stassi to keep him on his toes.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I want a TOM and TOM spinoff, not this horseshit. Literally....I'm guessing. 

Maybe LVP was hoping for that, what with her offer to "partner" with the Toms on a bar at the end of last season? 

I agree, that would be kinda fun to watch.

• Love 5

Jax and Brittany must answer to Mamaw when she discovers they've been drinking; Jax and Brittany are tasked with babysitting her nephews; Brittany's father confronts Jax about his true intentions and gets a surprise response.

• Love 1
On 8/27/2017 at 3:15 PM, ivygirl said:

Maybe LVP was hoping for that, what with her offer to "partner" with the Toms on a bar at the end of last season? 

I agree, that would be kinda fun to watch.

That would be so much more amusing than these two hoping for humor when they take Jax out of his usual environment. 

Yes to Tom Tom 

• Love 1

To my surprise, I actually liked it...for what it is - light and breezy entertainment.

Same here. I'm ready for VR to return, but until then, a couple of chucklefucks will do.

• Love 1

I'm barely five minutes into this episode and already sick of the word Mamaw. It should be a drinking game, every time someone says it take a drink but then no one would be conscious to watch the show.

Also, I think some people just aren't meant for marriage and seeing everyone and their grandma (literally) begging Jax to propose is cringe worthy. Brittney is a decent person with what seems like a good heart and she deserves someone that WANTS to marry her and doesn't have to be harassed into it. Cut him loose, girl. He doesn't want you enough to commit to forever.

• Love 6

Raise your hand if you think Jax just took a photo of someone else's engagement ring, just so he could have a photo on his phone that he could show to Memaw, the frosty-lipped lady, and Pa.

• Love 5

Mamaw needs a damn bra-maw. 

Jax was shoveling SO much bullshit with that "Briney's lost her spark" shit. I loved how her dad wasn't buying that for a second. I think I might love her dad. 

And I have to admit, I always enjoy watching Jax interact with kids. I'd watch a show where he babysits or something. 

• Love 6

Jax saying Brittany lost her spark is his veiled way of saying he thinks she gained weight and got lazy. If you've seen recent pics you can tell they've both lost weight and look a lot better so word obviously got around Kentucky about what Jax was saying.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Jax saying Brittany lost her spark is his veiled way of saying he thinks she gained weight and got lazy. If you've seen recent pics you can tell they've both lost weight and look a lot better so word obviously got around Kentucky about what Jax was saying.

Maybe she gained weight due to depression and sleeping late, as Jax mentioned. Sleeping late and generally lying around can pack on the weight. Their LA/VPR scene could be pretty depressing to someone who grew up the way Brittany did - even living in their tiny apt. could be tough for someone used to a farm.

• Love 1
On 8/31/2017 at 0:43 PM, nexxie said:

Maybe she gained weight due to depression and sleeping late, as Jax mentioned. Sleeping late and generally lying around can pack on the weight. Their LA/VPR scene could be pretty depressing to someone who grew up the way Brittany did - even living in their tiny apt. could be tough for someone used to a farm.

Yeah, I agree. It's probably from being in a comfortable relationship and a big change in scenery and lifestyle.

Brittany's best friend confronts Jax for belittling Brittany; Brittany's brother and sister-in-law throw a fundraiser to have a baby via in vitro fertilization, but Jax's plan to be a hero backfires; Jax's claims about Brittany causes skepticism.

Boy, this show is a dud, huh? Nobody is talking about it. 

I intend to keep watching because there's not a lot on right now and I want to know how this will all play out on Vanderpump Rules, but it is a struggle. I think the problem is that everyone in Brittany's life is just... normal. They're nice people who are too sane to give Jax the reactions he's trying to provoke. The "Brittany has lost her spark" thing seems like an obvious producer ploy, though I wouldn't put it past Jax to say all of that on his own, because he really does want to avoid commitment. I do agree with him: these people should not want him to marry Brittany and end up in a short, miserable marriage. 

I guess it was nice to see Brittany's brother and his wife raise the money for their IVF, but again, this kind of story is not really why I watch Vanderpump Rules...

• Love 1

I'm probably going straight to hell, but I laughed my ass off when Jax told Britney he should have given parting gifts of condoms to all her single mom friends. 

I'm not trying to be super judgmental, but the way her girlfriends were talking, it was like having a baby was just something you "do" - the man, the relationship....it doesn't matter. But you gotta have a baby! Jax may be a total douche, but I do think he's right that no one should be in a rush to get married or have children. 

I'm also 95% sure the Jax-knocked-up-a-stripper thing was amped up for storyline. Either way, he DIDN'T have a kid. He knows he can't take care of a kid. I'll at least give him that. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Panda Bear said:

Boy, this show is a dud, huh? Nobody is talking about it. 

I intend to keep watching because there's not a lot on right now and I want to know how this will all play out on Vanderpump Rules, but it is a struggle. I think the problem is that everyone in Brittany's life is just... normal. They're nice people who are too sane to give Jax the reactions he's trying to provoke. The "Brittany has lost her spark" thing seems like an obvious producer ploy, though I wouldn't put it past Jax to say all of that on his own, because he really does want to avoid commitment. I do agree with him: these people should not want him to marry Brittany and end up in a short, miserable marriage. 

I guess it was nice to see Brittany's brother and his wife raise the money for their IVF, but again, this kind of story is not really why I watch Vanderpump Rules...

LOL that's how I felt too. Glad to see some comments on here.

Just like you there's not much going on in regards to shows so I want to keep watching this and see how it plays out. I agree with you in regards to her family being nice. Although I like that the Dad is calling on Jax's BS. He does want to avoid commitment. In Jax's defense bringing up marriage and kids every 2 seconds would drive anyone mad lol. Good point too no one should rush into marriage.

Yeah, the IVF story was sweet but the purpose of these shows is for good drama. Looks like it may pick up because of how this episode ended in regards to the parents talking and feeling like Jax's story doesn't add up. I just think Brittany is very sweet and nice. She's way too good for Jax. And the constant complaining of him about her weight and being "depressed" is just ridiculous.

4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'm probably going straight to hell, but I laughed my ass off when Jax told Britney he should have given parting gifts of condoms to all her single mom friends. 

I'm not trying to be super judgmental, but the way her girlfriends were talking, it was like having a baby was just something you "do" - the man, the relationship....it doesn't matter. But you gotta have a baby! Jax may be a total douche, but I do think he's right that no one should be in a rush to get married or have children. 

I'm also 95% sure the Jax-knocked-up-a-stripper thing was amped up for storyline. Either way, he DIDN'T have a kid. He knows he can't take care of a kid. I'll at least give him that. 

YES! I agree 100%. Marriage and kids or either should be something you want not something you just do just to do it.

Also, good point about Jax knowing he can't take care of a kid. Clearly he is not ready for marriage or kids.

• Love 3

Agree with Jax on the kid thing, and those of you here too.

Oddly enough, it's not THAT difficult to avoid getting knocked up. I'm 34 and never had a kid, it's possible. Jax has been deep dicking anything with a pulse for years...decades? And he doesn't have a kid. So those women looking all offended needed to check themselves. Having a baby is not something that a woman HAS to do, Brittney will survive if she doesn't pop out a baby RIGHT NOW when she might (to quote jax, wtf am I doing?) do so in a shitty marriage.

I think some women who have kids just want everyone else to be miserable too.

I'm not saying a baby can't be great, sure, I bet they can! But they are hard work and it's not sunshine and rainbows and I'm sure some of Brittney's friends are a bit jealous that she's not tied down yet. Jealous of Jax, NO. But of her lifestyle and freedom? Yes.

The last thing anyone should be doing is encouraging someone to have a kid with Jax of all people. Good lord, ya'll.

• Love 12

Yes I watched last night. In addition to what you all (ya'all) have been mentioning with Brit's friends being single moms, I find it really something that they are so into their church (as Brit said she went Sundays and Sunday nights and Wednesdays etc) and still have kids out of wedlock. 

Also thought the IVF fundraiser was quite bizarre. I think this is when the appeal of being on reality television is all abou tthe $$. Does anyone know who gets paid on the show? Does her whole family? Does everyone who appears?

• Love 3

Jax goes to a church service in an effort to please Brittany's family; Brittany is shocked to learn Jax has made claims that she's depressed; Don takes Jax on a coyote-hunting excursion; Brittany's ex-boyfriend shows up at a local bar.

On 8/30/2017 at 2:31 PM, jaync said:

Same here. I'm ready for VR to return, but until then, a couple of chucklefucks will do.

What's as surprising for me is that I really like Brittany's family.  The MaMa (not sure how to spell it) and Dad are awesome.

I feel like by continuing to watch this I am admitting I've lost my spark/sparkle yet here we are.   

Brittany's shrill friend Cara can go away and I've had it with Mamaw.   

Its good B's parents are amicable because her dad is the only voice of reason there.   Mama Frosted Lipstick would do anything to keep Jax in the picture.   She was practically apologizing for B gaining some weight.   Does Brittany have any goal in life other than to work at SUR and be Jax's consort?  Not that she's ever shown on VR so why is Jax surprised that she is biding her time for marriage and motherhood.   

Kinda would've been cool if the IVF sis in law Melisha would have spelled her name Militia.  

I'll be be back next week to see B's ex.   Damn you Bravo!

• Love 4

All I can think of when Jax mentions wedlock is Lorelai on the phone with her aunt: "Wow, you don't hear the word wedlock much anymore." 

That said, I like Kentucky Jax. Sometimes having forced fresh air and manual labor forced upon oneself is the best thing that could happen to someone who spends too much time indoors and/or partying. Not that I'd relate or anything, of course. Also, that he wanted to be a fireman originally makes me feel like maybe all this work and learning of skills could lead to a really cool career for him. I don't know what that is, but I think it would suit him. Whether Brittany and he are meant to be, I think this was probably a really good experience for Jax to have. 

Especially contrasted with S2 Jax -- hoo boy. The DVR fairy left "Lisa's Angels" under my pillow this morning and it's weird to go from Jax in overalls and American flag boots to naked in angel wings with a Stassi tattoo. As glorious as S2 is, I'm happy that everyone seems to have evolved and is mostly happier <3  God help me, I'm rooting for all of them! 

Edited by Judi Sunshine
  • Love 1

I think I watched part of this because I was desperate. I didn't watch this entire ep, but I gave up and do not remember anything about it, other than it was painfully contrived with everyone pestering Jax for a wedding date and his USA boots.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Judi Sunshine said:

All I can think of when Jax mentions wedlock is Lorelai on the phone with her aunt: "Wow, you don't hear the word wedlock much anymore." 

I JUST watched that episode! Bahahaha, perfect. 

• Love 2
On 9/7/2017 at 7:28 AM, Panda Bear said:

The "Brittany has lost her spark" thing seems like an obvious producer ploy, though I wouldn't put it past Jax to say all of that on his own, because he really does want to avoid commitment. I do agree with him: these people should not want him to marry Brittany and end up in a short, miserable marriage. 

It smacks of Jax's post AA break up with Laura Leigh and a little bit like his break up with Carmen. I find the "lost her spark" thing to be entirely consistent with the Jax we know. However to do this show, he's either moved past that sentiment or is waiting until Vanderpump Rules comes back to break up with Brittany. 

• Love 2

Anyone still watching this train wreck?

This one made me laugh. I admit it. I'm probably an evil person for being amused by those weirdos in the church but there you have it, I'm with jax on this one. That shit isn't normal.

I have to wonder if they just found the most extra crazy church they could for the filming of this ep and Brittney's family never goes there. I was waiting for someone to break out the snakes.

Edited by rideashire
  • Love 7
On 9/7/2017 at 6:45 PM, mayvenne said:

Yes I watched last night. In addition to what you all (ya'all) have been mentioning with Brit's friends being single moms, I find it really something that they are so into their church (as Brit said she went Sundays and Sunday nights and Wednesdays etc) and still have kids out of wedlock. 

I don't find it strange at all. I'm guessing they had abstinence only sex education, which has been shown not to work. Real sex education is so important. 

• Love 5

I'm still watching and will continue to the bitter end. I had the same expression as Jax during the church scenes. I have seen it before on tv, but still have the same reaction. I am more amused each episode by Brittany's moms outfits and hairstyles. She is either competing with her daughter, or still trapped in 1989. Or my theory: crushing on Jax, hard.

• Love 10

With you on the church thing! I went to a Pentecostal church service one time and witnessed the same thing - writhing around, speaking in tongues, the whole enchilada.  Scared me so bad, I stopped at the first bar I came to and had a beer!  Gulped it down and just shook for a few minutes!  Really different from my Episcopalian upbringing!

And I hesitate to give ANYBODY'S MOM a quick shoutout but Britt's mom needs to find a darker lipstick.  She really needs to lay off that light sparkly stuff made for 15 year olds, even if she lives in bumfrick Kentucky.

• Love 5

Yep the Pentecostal service is spot on.  I briefly went to one in my quest for a church home (there isn't one) and it was actually thought that if you don't speak in tongues you are not really saved.  They also firmly believe that it is EVERY female's duty to have a child.  If you can't you're just a poor unblessed thing.  So many stories.  However Britt's mom looked a thousand times better with color on her lips.

Stay gold Jax.  Stay gold.

• Love 3

My ex-fiance's parents are Pentecostal. They do snakes and everything. My mom is just non-denominational, but her church gets all crazy with the dancing in the aisles and speaking in tongues. To each their own, but definitely NOT my way to worship. Tell an interesting, meaningful sermon and sing a low-key song. Boom. I'm done. 

I was TOTALLY with Jax. I wanted someone to help that boy convulsing at the front of the church!!! His faces, his commentary....that was everything. 

• Love 6

I don't get what the hell  Jax is ever talking about with the "she doesn't work" nonsense.  She works at SUR and is on the show, just like him!  Plus, if it hadn't been for her, would he have his own spinoff?  I think not.  He and his accusations can have several seats.

Edited by teapot
  • Love 2