Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Beyond the Wall

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Mrs Huffnagle said:

Good grief, the Stark men:  Brave, but stupid.

Not sure that applies to Robb.

That seems to be the route the showrunners are unfortunately taking, which will be piss poor writing if Jon winds up being king of Westeros. Which brings me back around to thinking Jon is now destined to die playing the hero, and is just a magical curse breaking sperm donor for Dany. 

Buries head in my pillow and begins to weep...

12 minutes ago, Subrookie said:

Jon Snow may no nothing, but he's had a tough life. 

He's a right proper lad and I'm proud of him! ?

• Love 3

Good episode...In spite of the worse plan ever concocted in this series (bringing a Wight down south to impress Cersei).

I think the last time I enjoyed Arya was when she was having her conversations with Tywin Lannister.  She's unbearable.  And I hope this plot line is a ruse between the 2 sisters to ferret out Baelish.  And I'm not sure why Sansa sent Brienne away but I like the explanation given upthread-- to protect Arya against Bri.

Time to pick a nit:  Jon offering Jorah Longclaw was very poorly timed.   Shouldn't it have been offered on the ship to the North, not while on a quest?  And assuming Jorah said "yup I want it back", Jon would have been SOL.

Daneryas' loss was really heartfelt.  

I really like Tyrion but why has his batting average been so low?  It's a bit discouraging.   I really hope he's not a double agent Lannister, that break my heart more than a 1,000 dragon deaths.

• Love 4

I'm torn. I love this show for the medieval drama with the Starks, Lanisters, Bravos, etc., but just am not so into the zombie white walker part. 

That said, I thought this was one of the best episodes of the show. But, I was really uninterested in the zombies pulling dragons out of the ice. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Haiti D said:

I really like Tyrion but why has his batting average been so low?  It's a bit discouraging.   I really hope he's not a double agent Lannister, that break my heart more than a 1,000 dragon deaths.

Yeah I agree. That would be a super mega ultra deluxe betrayal to dany on so many levels. talk about ouch x infinity : (  

Edited by STRIDER1
  • Love 4

The ENTIRE time from the moment that Viserion submerged into the icy waters to when dany was waiting at the top of the wall for jon's possible return, i was so expecting to see them cut back to a scene at the icy waters and then see him fly out of the water alive, really badly hurt but not dead tho.

But sadly that scene never ever materialized and we then later see them pull a dead (so so sad) dragon out of the water  : (

Edited by STRIDER1
  • Love 4

My thoughts as I watched: -

1)      The dismissal of Gendry’s complaints about being sold to the witch was amusing. The entire stripped-down nature of the scenes beyond the wall were entertaining. It had that horror movie sensibility where the characters are picked off one by one. Although, admittedly this was the most stupid plan ever conceived. 

2)      Arya was tricked too easily by Baelish in the previous episode given all that she has been through. She should be more cunning and worldly. I am glad she brought the note to her sister’s attention immediately, rather than skulking behind her back, and the later scene between the two of them played out well. Hopefully this storyline will be resolved quickly.

3)      Tyrion’s misgivings about Daenerys grow further. I know people disagree, but once again she is painted as the antagonist in the scene, admittedly, rather clumsily. Then once again she flies off to the rescue, which seems to conflict wither her earlier character development. She seems inconsistent as a character, lately.

4)      One dragon down; and they did it, the return of Benjen, which was all a little too fan fiction for my liking. As is the burgeoning relationship between Jon Snow and Daenerys. The show would be better with them as allies and without any suggestion of romance; however, this route does suggest one of them will die.

5)      A zombie dragon should be fun.

Edited by Chinspinner
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Unpopular opinion: I'd rather see Arya die than Littlefinger.

Not as unpopular as you might think.  I hate Arya.  She's a little psycho.  I was hoping that Sansa, as Lady of Winterfell, would have just ordered Sadie Stark Manson to be hanged, and be done with it.  God, she is an unappealing, ugly character.  And I'm sorry, you psychotic little bitch, you don't know everything your sister has gone through: first with the Lannisters, then with Ramsay Boulton.  Littlefinger is so much more nuanced and interesting a character.

• Love 14

If Sansa and Arya are arguing to fool Littlefinger and his spies as some people believe, then good for the sisters trying to outwit him - but why would they keep fighting in private in their bedrooms instead of in the hallways or somewhere where they're more likely to be overheard?

If they truly are fighting with each other, then I don't understand why Sansa seems to have told Jon a lot about what happened to her but she hasn't told Arya. Why not? If I had been separated from my family for that long, I would definitely fill them in once we were reunited. I mean, no, they don't need to go through a list of all the terrible things that happened day by day, but based on their conversation in Arya's room, they have NO idea what the other has been through which is just stupid. Hell, if they're too traumatized to talk about it, then just have Bran the all seeing meet with each one separately. "Arya, Joffrey was a sadistic pig who shot a prostitute just for fun so you're lucky that Sansa's still alive. Unfortunately, Ramse beat and raped her mercilessly for the entire length of their sham marriage. So, you know, maybe back off a little bit there, Arya. Sansa, Arya had to pretend to be a boy just to stay alive. She has almost been killed multiple times so you need to back off your sister a little bit too. Now that we've gotten that over with, do you guys want to know about how Jon killed a little boy? Or about how he was murdered and then brought back to life?"

6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

wasn't Littlefinger on Aray's list? 

Nope, he's never been on her list (although I hope she adds him soon!). Arya's list:

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

That seems to be the route the showrunners are unfortunately taking, which will be piss poor writing if Jon winds up being king of Westeros. Which brings me back around to thinking Jon is now destined to die playing the hero, and is just a magical curse breaking sperm donor for Dany. 

Yeah, giving Martin's love for killing off characters I like, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he gave D & D an outline for the end of the series where both Jon and Daenerys die in the finale, Daenerys in childbirth and Jon in an epic battle with the Night King that destroys them both. That much talk of who takes over if Daenerys dies and too many repetitions of "can't have children" stink to high heaven of foreshadowing.

Maybe a spinoff will be Tyrion and Jorah as "wacky uncles" for Jon & Dany's baby.

• Love 5

Other thoughts. 

Gendry is Westeros's Usain Bolt. 

Also - to quote Tywin. Anyone who needs to call himself a king, is no king... Sansa. You don't need to cite yourself as Lady of Winterfell every second. But to choose a side between Sansa and Arya, i'm team Sansa here. What the hell Arya 

Also why can't Dany have babies? Like she keeps saying she can't, but how does she know she can't? I'm pretty sure something like that would have been seen on screen, yah?

• Love 6

Where is Theon? Is he still on Dragonstone? I'd love to see Euron and the Night King duke it out. White Walkers will be all, "Who is this freak?"

Uncle Benjen was spittin' hot fire.

So they get the undead Thriller monster thing back to Kings Landing and then what? Cersei is nuts. She'll probably say it's a trick. Qyburn will be aroused by it. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, STRIDER1 said:

I wonder if dany's 2 remaining dragons can mate and lay some dragon eggs? then she can build up a huge dragon army and "replace" the one she lost.

However i rather see them un-turn that dragon back to normal and see dany's dragon family whole again. would be the best thing to happen for that poor dragon.

So so sad to see a majestic creature like that go down after being hit from that ice spear.  : (

• Love 2

I was cracking up at the amazingly unbelievable King's javelin skills which rival those of the Six Million Dollar Man crossed with old school Wonder Woman and Lamar Latrell.

I'm glad that our besotted ginger lived to fight another day. When he told the Hound, "You do know her!" I laughed. Also loved when he said that the way to survive north of the wall was to keep moving, preferably by fucking and then said, "We make do with what we've got," and then looked at Gendry. Never change, Tormund! I also really enjoyed that he was so persistent when the Hound kept trying to get him to go away.

One of my favorite aspects of this episode is that the seven guys who went out on this mission all had reasons to dislike each other, but they ended up bonding over this or that and parted ways liking and respecting each other. I'm sad that the road trip is over because I was loving all the conversations that our band of misfit toys had this week.

Sad to see Thoros go, but the Hound is right - he went peacefully in his sleep which is a good way to go. Beric better be careful from now on though since he has no one to bring him back! I know he said that he's ready to die but let's still be careful, man.

The saddest moment for me in this episode was seeing Viserion go down. I was already screaming, "NOOOOOOOOO!" when I saw the Night King pick up his icicle javelin. The second saddest moment was when I saw that they were pulling Viserion out of the water. DAMN IT!!!

The third saddest moment for me was when Arya said that neither she nor Sansa got to be the person they wanted to be because the world doesn't let girls deide what they are going to be.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

One thing I had thought when they came up with that harebrained scheme to bring back a wight was why didn't they just execute some poor bastard just outside the wall and wait for him to turn?

They should have used Randyll Tarly for this.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was cracking up at the amazingly unbelievable King's javelin skills which rival those of the Six Million Dollar Man crossed with old school Wonder Woman and Lamar Latrell.

*Snort*

lamar-javelin-o.gif

• Love 6

Did I mishear or did someone ask Jon about killing the Night King in order to destroy all the wights he had turned, and Jon said, "That's not how it works"?  I could've sworn I heard that.

And Dany being able to get notice that Jon needs help and flying beyond the wall in a matter of hours, yet Sam is still riding around in a wagon somewhere with a book full of helpful info?  Come on, show.

Also, kudos to those who can tell the two non-Drogon dragons apart.  I had no clue which one was which. (And I too would like to believe one of Dany's children would never turn on her, even if it's become zombified, but I know that's hopeless.)

6 hours ago, Haiti D said:

Tyrion is smart but he's always disliked the brutality associated with war. I think he sees it as unnecessary and uncivilized. Tyrion is trying to fight wars without causalities and as honourable as that may be, it's stupid and a good way to get your men killed. If a civilized conversation over a cup of tea is all that was needed to broker peace, then your opposition is unlikely to be considered your 'enemy' in the first place. In the back of my mind I'm also considering that he may be double agent but I'm leaning towards 'not' right now.

I'm hoping this stuff between Arya and Sansa is just a ruse to trick Littlefinger. This guy has managed to be two steps ahead of everyone and I'd like to see someone smart enough to figure him out and beat him at his own game.

I need to look at a map and figure this out - how the hell did Gendry make it back on FOOT to Dany in time for her to bring her dragons and save the day yet Sam is somewhere in a horse and carriage and still can't find his way back yet? I hope we see Sam in the next episode. I want to know how what kind of information he managed to smuggle from the citadel.

• Love 4

The chest scars proves Jon took several stabs in the heart and Dany is figuring out that some magic is going on....of course Melisandre could have simplified things with some simple exposition a few weeks ago....

• Love 2

Yeah, Danny's not making it out of this alive, but that kid she no doubt is going to have with Jon will. I mean how many times do they need to repeat and hit me over the head with the line about her not being able to have children, for me to get that she WILL be giving birth to a child. 

Which means, she'll probably die in childbirth just like Lyanna did.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I need to look at a map and figure this out - how the hell did Gendry make it back on FOOT to Dany in time for her to bring her dragons and save the day yet Sam is somewhere in a horse and carriage and still can't find his way back yet? I hope we see Sam in the next episode. I want to know how what kind of information he managed to smuggle from the citadel.

Gendry got back to Eastwatch and a raven was sent to Dany.

During Arya's story about Ned applauding her archery efforts I could see Sean Bean as Ned proudly watching his determined little girl and smiling as she achieved her goal. I teared up a little. 

I loved the conversations between the guys on their trip out. Some had history, some had common acquaintances to discuss and some acted like fanboys meeting their hero. It's nice this season to have interaction between characters we've not seen together previously.

I agree with someone upthread who said Arya and Sansa really should sit down and discuss what they've each been through to have a better understanding of each other. Has Arya even told anyone that she avenged her mother and brother by killing the Freys? 

• Love 10

I'm hoping this stuff between Arya and Sansa is just a ruse to trick Littlefinger. This guy has managed to be two steps ahead of everyone and I'd like to see someone smart enough to figure him out and beat him at his own game.

I don't think it is at all. But I'm proud of my girl Sansa as I was with Arya killing people who needed their asses to be slaughtered. Boy was I proud when she killed House of Frey.  But Sansa is  starting to think way ahead of LittlefuckingFinger, which is why she sent Brienne away.  He's whispering shit in Sansa's ear about using Brienne to intercede yada, yada, yada...Sansa's not falling for it. Like I said before, when all is said and done both young ladies will admire one another for their strengths and take Littlefinger down. But right now, Sansa is more in the know and focused on Littlefinger's bullshit manipulation than Arya is. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 8

Damn it why does a Stark have to Stark all the time? Why is Sansa still listening to Littlefinger? She is her dumb ass father all over again but good for her telling off Arya. I personally don't understand what the big deal is with that note she wrote to Rob everyone knows she was forced to do it. Arya is acting like a child with black and white thinking playing into littlefingers plan to turn them against one another and I don't understand why she hasn't used another face yet and killed littlefinger. She was way to tough on Sansa but Sansa is Starking it up by sending Brienne to kings landing. 

Jon is another Stark that can't help Starking things up. Going outside the wall to get a body was the stupidest idea yet and bound to fail. Apparently if you spend a good deal of time with a stark or marry one you start starking things up too. The hound throwing those rocks and showing the white walkers the ice was solid was starkish. Tyrion telling dani anything at this point is starkish too. 

• Love 5

About Gendry's trip back to Eastwatch....the trip back home is always faster than the trip to somewhere else!

ETA: maybe there's something weird about Targ physiology that makes them fertile with another Targ. Nah......that's too strange even for this show.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Mrs Huffnagle said:

Good grief, the Stark men:  Brave, but stupid.

Not sure that applies to Robb.

Are you saying Robb wasn't brave? Because he was definitely stupid.  He trusted Theon and Bolton, and of course most importantly broke his oath to marry Frey's daughter.  At least Ned was stupid out of honor. Robb made some stupid moves by being too honorable and others by being dishonorable.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When he was lining up his shot all I could think of was Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite. I can picture the NK sitting around telling his friends, "back in high school I could throw an ice spear a quarter mile....".

Regarding Beric, he can't die. That man's voice is like a hot knife through butter. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

About Gendry's trip back to Eastwatch....the trip back home is always faster than the trip to somewhere else!

I didn't have a big problem with the timeline of Gendry's return.  We don't know how long it took and he was moving a lot faster than the group was when they headed out.  They were searching for wights, not trying to get from point A to B as quickly as possible. Plus, they ran into an undead bear, which took up some time.  

The raven getting to Dragonstone and Dany getting to the North that quickly was perhaps a bit less realistic.  But, we are talking about a show with, smoke baby assassins,  dragons and  zombies lead by White Walkers so a raven flying too fast might not be cause for calling it "unrealistic".  

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

ETA: maybe there's something weird about Targ physiology that makes them fertile with another Targ. Nah......that's too strange even for this show.

Or simpler - Dany was never barren in the first place. All we had was Mirri's insinuation that she was. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

Or simpler - Dany was never barren in the first place. All we had was Mirri's insinuation that she was. 

Well, there are no little Daarios running around. And if she thought she was barren, I doubt she'd have taken whatever precautions to prevent a pregnancy. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Yeah, giving Martin's love for killing off characters I like, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he gave D & D an outline for the end of the series where both Jon and Daenerys die in the finale, Daenerys in childbirth and Jon in an epic battle with the Night King that destroys them both. That much talk of who takes over if Daenerys dies and too many repetitions of "can't have children" stink to high heaven of foreshadowing.

Maybe a spinoff will be Tyrion and Jorah as "wacky uncles" for Jon & Dany's baby.

Could you imagine the backlash if the show kills Dany via childbirth? The main female character who is a source of empowerment for so many viewers goes out like that? As realistic as it is, I just can't see them doing it. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

Now the Night King has a way to get over the wall -- fly over on a dragon. Then open the gates & let his army through.

But is the NK a Targaryian? I thought that only they could be dragon riders? Others can be passengers but the "jockey" has to be aTargaryian.

• Love 1

Now the Night King has a way to get over the wall -- fly over on a dragon. Then open the gates & let his army through.

I think whatever the Viserion the ice dragon emits from his mouth, that will how that wall comes down. I pretty sure when he opens his mouth some kind of deadly shit  is going to come out of it. As a matter a fact, I don't think the fire from the mouths of his two living dragon brothers will be able to kill him either. 

By the way, speaking of his two brothers, was it just me or did the third dragon, I forgot its name, not fly away as soon as he saw Viserion get jacked? I started laughing, he just flew away and left his mother and every damn body after that happened. I'm out and good luck. I know I saw Viserion fall and another dragon fly away, with Danny and the guys still on the ground.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

I screamed when that bear came out of nowhere! I couldn't tell who we lost in that fight.

What the heck is Arya up to??

Which dragon was hit? I only know it wasn't Drogon. I thought maybe it wouldn't work on a dragon because a dragon is magic already. Hopefully after the cliffhanger the dragon will shake off the spear and become itself again. (I assume the Night King will reclaim his spear?)

Did Jon just ask Dany to marry him?

What trick will Cercei pull next week?

7 minutes ago, Tyro49 said:

I screamed when that bear came out of nowhere! I couldn't tell who we lost in that fight.

What the heck is Arya up to??

Which dragon was hit? I only know it wasn't Drogon. I thought maybe it wouldn't work on a dragon because a dragon is magic already. Hopefully after the cliffhanger the dragon will shake off the spear and become itself again. (I assume the Night King will reclaim his spear?)

Did Jon just ask Dany to marry him?

What trick will Cercei pull next week?

It was viseriyon. (I don't know how people know that. All i know is Drogon coz he's huge). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Also, kudos to those who can tell the two non-Drogon dragons apart.  I had no clue which one was which. (And I too would like to believe one of Dany's children would never turn on her, even if it's become zombified, but I know that's hopeless.)

I think the cold/dark climate in the north really washed out all three dragons but the show has done a decent job colouring them differently. It was more obvious when they were young. Rhaegal has much more green and a bronze hue to his scales. Viserion is the lightest of the three. Of course the dragons are one of my favorite parts of the show so I pay pretty close attention to them. They certainly didn't feature Rhaegal and Viserion enough for a lot of people to be able to tell them apart.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that they even had their eye colours distinct though. Last week Drogon's were black shot through with red and when Viserion's real eye closed before he died :( it was gold. I'm hoping if/when Rhaegal and Jon meet his eyes are bronze.

• Love 4