Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: So It Goes / S04.E02: Signal to Noise

I actually liked the second hour with Cameron and Joe talking all day as both their careers were going down the drain.

Well, we have AOL, whose front page was their version of a browser for years. Mosaic was the king of browsers and now doesn't exist.

It looks like Donna stole Joe's idea for an index (i.e. Google). I also get the feeling Gordon is going to try his hand at web hosting.

It looks like they're in 1993-1994, which is when I actually knew anything about computers / the web.

• Love 6

Thank goodness I DVR'd that - if I had been unable to FF through the interminable Joe/Cameron scenes, I definitely would have given up this show completely.  I realize Lee Pace is the most well-known actor, but I don't know why they couldn't come up with a way to integrate him into the actual plot.  And Cameron - ugh, how many times do we have to go through where she accomplishes nothing because of her refusal to understand that she is developing for people who aren't her?  There's no point in coming up with a great product if nobody's going to buy it.   Sorry, but I would have hoped that she would have outgrown that egocentricity by now, I guess older isn't always wiser.

I have to say how much I hate how Bos has devolved into a pathetic old man.  I didn't understand Diane's attraction to him in the first place, and it makes even less sense now.  I would have loved to see him be competent, but not at Tanya's expense.  Speaking of love - yeah, Haley!

Glad to see they've invented Google now.  I don't think Donna "stole" Joe's idea - he was talking "curated" while her project uses an algorithm.  But yeah, both have to do with indexing the WWW.

Sorry, Ketose - read your comment as I was writing this, no disrespect intended!  Different strokes, indeed.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Thank goodness I DVR'd that - if I had been unable to FF through the interminable Joe/Cameron scenes, I definitely would have given up this show completely.  I realize Lee Pace is the most well-known actor, but I don't know why they couldn't come up with a way to integrate him into the actual plot.  And Cameron - ugh, how many times do we have to go through where she accomplishes nothing because of her refusal to understand that she is developing for people who aren't her?  There's no point in coming up with a great product if nobody's going to buy it.   Sorry, but I would have hoped that she would have outgrown that egocentricity by now, I guess older isn't always wiser.

I have to say how much I hate how Bos has devolved into a pathetic old man.  I didn't understand Diane's attraction to him in the first place, and it makes even less sense now.  I would have loved to see him be competent, but not at Tanya's expense.  Speaking of love - yeah, Haley!

Glad to see they've invented Google now.  I don't think Donna "stole" Joe's idea - he was talking "curated" while her project uses an algorithm.  But yeah, both have to do with indexing the WWW.

Sorry, Ketose - read your comment as I was writing this, no disrespect intended!  Different strokes, indeed.

I guess my aversion to Cameron has dulled since I haven't seen HACF for a while. Plus, Donna is the sorta villain this season. It is sad, though, how everyone has made money except Bos. 

• Love 5

It seems to have a more stylized look this season, from the camera work to the color palette, but I'm not sure it's an improvement.   

Still has the same forced drama, which now includes Haley's mysterious teen angst and Bos's mysteriously thicker accent.

I know I'm supposed to care about the relationship between Joe and Cameron - so much so that a phone conversation with them, weighted with dramatic pauses, should have me on the edge of my seat as Joe recalls the ice cream truck melody and Cameron talks about her beauty pageant childhood - but I just don't.  

• Love 3

Joe and Cameron talking on the phone was my favorite part.   When you have chemistry with someone you can talk like that for hours. Since these actors always were able to bring across their characters connection their thing seems quite earned to me.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, mjc570 said:

And Cameron - ugh, how many times do we have to go through where she accomplishes nothing because of her refusal to understand that she is developing for people who aren't her?  There's no point in coming up with a great product if nobody's going to buy it.   Sorry, but I would have hoped that she would have outgrown that egocentricity by now, I guess older isn't always wiser.

As irritating as I find the character, I'm more annoyed by the the writers' insistence on validating her petulant behavior. Even when she's shown to be wrong about something, you just know that she'll somehow turn out to be right in the long run. And that only reinforces my instinct to root against her.

Glad to see they've invented Google now.  I don't think Donna "stole" Joe's idea - he was talking "curated" while her project uses an algorithm. 

Indeed, Joe's idea sounded more like Yahoo!. The scene in which he described it was the biggest eye-roller of the two episodes for me. After the browser endeavor fizzled, I was hopeful that the writers intended to move past the characters' Forrest Gump-like brushes with every major development in personal computing. How silly of me.

3 hours ago, Razzberry said:

Still has the same forced drama, which now includes Haley's mysterious teen angst

My first thought...

Spoiler

...was that she might be pregnant.

[That's purely speculative, but I'm erring on the side of caution.]

and Bos's mysteriously thicker accent.

He seems to be aging into Cotton Hill.

Edited by Rowsdower
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Glad to see they've invented Google now.

This implies that Google invented it. They certainly did not. Yahoo was a successful search engine before Google got created in the last part of 1998. I don't know if Yahoo ("Yet Another Hierarchically Organized Oracle" or "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle") invented the technology but they certainly were among the first at least. Yahoo began from a website called "Jerry and David's guide to the World Wide Web" (see Founding in Yahoo! - Wikipedia).

• Love 9

Search engines were as prevalent as browsers back then. I remember using Hotbot for years until it shut down. Google is just shorthand for the most used search engine. Microsoft, Android (Chrome) and Apple are OS's with preferred browsers now.

The Forrest Gump analogy is pretty apt. You have Gordon, a capable engineer who keeps making money on new ventures until Joe comes in and kills them. Joe is forever chasing the killer app, wanting to be Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. Donna is smart but not a visionary. Then there's Cameron, the magic coder who seemingly wants to go all Tron and live in the computer. They keep playing out their roles as the computer industry changes.

So, what happens in the end of the series? Do Gordon and Donna get back together and write music apps? Do Cameron and Joe kill each other?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, mjc570 said:

And Cameron - ugh, how many times do we have to go through where she accomplishes nothing because of her refusal to understand that she is developing for people who aren't her? 

Yeah, you'd think she'd understand compromise by this point, but I guess that's what makes her so special. /sarcasm And word that it's annoying the writers keep validating her behavior. She may be a brilliant coder, but if no one wants her work, does it matter?

That said, I really liked the phone call between her and Joe. They were finally honest and natural with each other. I loved the last scene with them in the diner not really knowing what to say anymore. The safety of not being together was gone.

Donna cutting Trip off at the knees during the meeting was fun. I'm so glad they gave her a backbone.

Is everyone living in the same city now? It's San Jose, right?

I was watching Seinfeld recently, and Toby Huss was Jack, one of Elaine's boyfriends! He was a fact checker at The New Yorker but also played The Wiz in TV adds for Nobody Beats the Wiz, which was an electronics chain in NYC. Jerry couldn't figure out why he looked familiar, and every time Jerry saw Jack, it was in close up with sparkling eyes. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ketose said:

Search engines were as prevalent as browsers back then. I remember using Hotbot for years until it shut down. Google is just shorthand for the most used search engine. Microsoft, Android (Chrome) and Apple are OS's with preferred browsers now.

I think you might be wrong about this. I remember the early days of the web -- 94-95 -- when addresses had to be typed in specifically to go to a site, and if you got it wrong, you couldn't get there. It wasn't the typing in of terms like you have now, it was knowing an address -- complete with http://www.blahblahblah and getting it right before you got where you were going. 

Maybe I was just dumb, but I think we're about 93 now -- maybe even 92 -- so the type of web searching you're describing was still a few years off. 

There were search engines, though: I remember Ask Jeeves and Duck Duck Goose, or whatever it was. I found a woodworker who made a lazy Susan for my mom that way. I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics, but I remember a co-worker telling me about Google and how much better it was because the search parameters weren't as strict, i.e., you didn't have to use a particular wording. 

• Love 4

Search engines were mid 90's more than early 90's. A lot of my browsing at the time was going to pages that had links to other pages. I had a web page in 1994 where I also put links. Search engine growth matched the increase of websites.

• Love 4

In '93/'94, I recall using Excite and Web Crawler as my very first search experiences.

Seeing MOSAIC in the episodes felt very nostalgic for me. It was the first "true" browser that I ever owned and it came bundled with a 28K Motorola Fax/Modem and had a 300 plus page softcover book about Mosaic and the "internet" along with CD copies of the games Doom and Heretic! I got that bundle in 1995.

I still have this set with its original box in my collection to this day.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, whiporee said:

I think you might be wrong about this. I remember the early days of the web -- 94-95 -- when addresses had to be typed in specifically to go to a site, and if you got it wrong, you couldn't get there. It wasn't the typing in of terms like you have now, it was knowing an address -- complete with http://www.blahblahblah and getting it right before you got where you were going. 

Maybe I was just dumb, but I think we're about 93 now -- maybe even 92 -- so the type of web searching you're describing was still a few years off. 

They played "Doll Parts" by Hole, which came out in 1994.

What was up with that watch Donna was wearing?

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I think Doll Parts was a continuity screw up, making things later than they should be. The conversations they're having are well suited for '93, but since that song came out in '94, it puts them a year behind where the timeline should have them. 

So I'm going to go with that -- just a song screwup rather than a timeline one.  

• Love 1

Yeah. He also talked about the first WTC attack and the Cowboy's Super Bowl win -- if it had been post January 1994, he would have said won another Super Bowl. So I'm putting it late 1993, and maybe they got an early version of the song and video. 

• Love 1

Gordon, Donna, and Cameron look better while Joe doesn't. I love bitchy boss Donna, she probably is not actually that happy and is faking it but got a kick out of her champagne drinking and seducing the guy at her party. John is pathetic now and his wife seems like kind of a bitch.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ketose said:

Search engines were mid 90's more than early 90's. A lot of my browsing at the time was going to pages that had links to other pages. I had a web page in 1994 where I also put links. Search engine growth matched the increase of websites.

Trying to remember the timeline of this series.  Was the first season the early '80s?

Of course these characters tried every big tech idea in the last 30-40 years which became huge.

Not surprising they're taking on search.  If the show kept going, I'm sure they will take on social networking and ride sharing or whatever is the hottest thing du jour.

But I would bet that Brin and Page didn't just get interested in search just a few months before they formed Google or even before they first thought about a way to monetize search.  That was their genius, a business model for search.  All the previous search engines didn't quite have it right.

The other part of it is that they designed hardware clusters which optimized search.  They were PhD students at Stanford so they were at the bleeding edge of computer science on these matters.

There were a lot of brilliant engineers working in industry who didn't have the knowledge or vision to put together what Google did.  In fact, there still isn't.  Microsoft has spent billions on their own search engine and haven't produced anything remotely comparable.

So as brilliant as Donna is suppose to be, it's doubtful she'd have some engineers working for her already who could put out a competitive search engine from scratch.

More likely, once Google was on the scene, a would-be competitor would have to license or buy technology or maybe even a startup.  And then try to sign the best students from a top graduate CS program.  MS probably did all these things -- the existing Windows and Office developers they had wouldn't necessarily be suited to designing and writing search engines.

i guess this will be another what-if story line.  These characters were among the first with the idea and what if they dominated the market, became multi billionaires and historical figures, etc.  it's not a new plot strategy for this series.  They're fun but for casual viewers who don't follow tech industry history, it's not appealing enough.  

Hence the disappointing ratings.

• Love 1

I think the show runners have taken a little artistic licence with some of the dates and made a goof or two.

If you were to circle back and drill down on them (see what I did there? :) ), you will find the chronology is messed up slightly.

But that's ok. they are basically trying to convey that we are now in late '93 by the looks of it. 

On another note, even though the show barely made it to renewal, it appears the show has a BIGGER budget than before???. or perhaps that was just for the premiere?? And the musical budget seems to have been upped as well with greater use of more recognizable tracks of the day.

And.... the appearance of Blue Man Group just hit me in the giggle bone bigtime!! I had completely forgotten them, but seeing them brought back to life last night created a rush of memories of those years... those damn blue bas#%}s were everywhere back then!!

LOLZ

• Love 4
17 hours ago, magdalene said:

Joe and Cameron talking on the phone was my favorite part.   When you have chemistry with someone you can talk like that for hours. Since these actors always were able to bring across their characters connection their thing seems quite earned to me.

Im in the minority as it seems. I think seeing them actually talk and listen to one another was the most rewarding part to me. It was nice to see them connect over talk just about life, not work.

1 hour ago, minamurray78 said:

Joe needs a haircut. And a shave. But more urgently, a haircut.

Yes please, that hairstyle on Lee is hideous.

On another note I might be the minority but I do not like Donna as a ruthless boss it seems to have dulled her character to me.

• Love 7

J

Joe needs a haircut. And a shave. But more urgently, a haircut.

Yes please, that hairstyle on Lee is hideous.

On another note I might be the minority but I do not like Donna as a ruthless boss it seems to have dulled her character to me.

After the divorce, it feels like Gordon is awesome and Donna sucks...kind of the opposite of when they were married.

Lee Pace is a good looking man...why the hell did they give him the hair style of a fourth grade girl?

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, qtpye said:

J

After the divorce, it feels like Gordon is awesome and Donna sucks...kind of the opposite of when they were married.

Lee Pace is a good looking man...why the hell did they give him the hair style of a fourth grade girl?

Gordon is awesome! :D

I hated what they had done to his character with the previous illness plot line that seemed like they were trying kill him off... the moments in that parking garage scene and those with his moments of mental breakdowns when he had his mail order enterprise were just unbearable for me. 

I am so, so glad to see Gordon and Joe as trusting friends again. They are probably the only one true buddy in the entire World that either one of them has. And I love the new relationship that exists between Gordon and Cameron. There was such animosity and antagonism between the two in the early seasons but its great to see them as "buddies" now. Sure, they have their quirks, but they have now had some truly touching moments together and now they sort of "get" each other and there is respect between them. The "three amigos" are great together when they all get in sync.

And luv the touching Daddy-Daughter moments! :D

• Love 7

I'm watching for the 3rd time. Just some random thoughts. I think it's 1995; they didn't do a good job transitioning, it was longer than S2E1 and people couldn't figure that out. OK, I'm reading a postmortem with the Chrises. It's 1993 & that transition was taken from Slaughterhouse 5. OK, read another interview with the Chrises and it's 1994. What is up with Cameron and Joe's hair? If they spent more $ on set designs & music, they took it away from costuming & hair. I can actually see thru Joe's wig. Note: Both Joe and Cameron get a haircut next week - maybe there's another time jump. I also have a problem with the character development, particularly Donna and Bos. In this article, Chris says Joe and Donna are alike - 'they have a lot of similar qualities — both good and bad'. It is so top heavy in the period culture I felt suffocated. I know from Chris Cantwell's tweets, he lives firmly in the past. I could have done without the Blue Man party and several other references. They thought the Fresh Prince dialogue was swell. It is great to see the Clark girls older and in the story. If they had cut the Joe/Cameron phone convo in half, it would have been better. However, the thought that Cameron and Joe might get back together is great. I love Gordon and Joe's relationship, but what was that camping scene during the transition about + we had to be reminded once again that Joe is bi-sexual. He's madly in love & pining for Cameron, but his other relationships are with men. I'm at the next day after Gordon's birthday party. I'll leave the tech part for youse guys like Phil to circle back and drill down on. Now I'm watching this phone convo again. It's so entertaining. zzzzzzz The only time Joe is hot is when he's standing at Cameron's door. Well crap - Chris Rogers says we might see Tom again and this:  'I think in the fourth season, we kind of gave [Joe and Cameron] their last best shot.' It doesn't sound like they end up together. ;(

Edited by cinles
  • Love 2

Cinny!!... yer here!...Hi

hahahahaha

Are you on any other place that talks about HACF?

I thought I would just try to settle in at Prev.TV after we became IMDB refugees. :D

The timeline IS confusing, that's for sure. I guess it really must be well into 1994?? but it's contradictory at times because there WERE browser competitors in place by then and search engines were ALREADY a thing??... so I don't know what Joe and Cameron were up to in over 3 years!????

Leave it to Gordon to have to be the rock and try to be the captain of the ship and keep them afloat with CALNect??... but just what the hell is CalNect... Next... Net??? hahaha

I guess they are meant to be some kind of ISP?.. but if its already well into 1994 (or '95 even!?), just what the hell have their clients been using to access the internet?? (software wise) 

But hey, I'm just happy our goofy little show is back from the dead with an opportunity for a satisfying conclusion.

:)

PS... but geez... they castrated Bos. :(

It was painfull to see him begging.

RIP "old" Bos.

Edited by CanadaPhil
  • Love 2

Joe's hair is supposed to be Kurt Cobain-ish. Every season Cameron's look is some "comtemporary" version of alternative. Donna and Gordon dress mainstream for the period-but representing their place and status  in life at that point, and Joe's look completely changes into whatever "the" look of the time is. In this case, pseudo-grunge actually dovetails well with his depressed basement dweller status. I always enjoy seeing how the costume and hair team have changed the cast each season.  

Addendum: I think the reason Joe wants to have "the" look of the moment is a combination of the power image he wants to present to the world, which he feels will help him in business, and the fact that down deep, he's very insecure in who he is, and it makes him feel more in control. In season one there is a shot of him looking at a model on a billboard in front of a gas station Joe is visiting, and Joe takes off his jacket to mimic the look. 

Also,  once again, Joe has a new apartment, which is very different from all the other homes we've seen him in every other season. Obviously he moved after Ryan jumped. And possibly couldn't afford anything that fancy anymore. But this appears to be the most normal place he's lived in on his own. Nicely decorated, but not to impress, just for his comfort . So kudos to the set design team too! 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Joe mentioned in the phone call that his dad had died; I wonder if there was any sort of inheritance.

I wondered about that too, but then I was distracted when Joe said no one was at his dad's funeral. He was an executive at IBM for years and in season one it seemed he was the 'boss' at IMB and no one was at his funeral. I always wonder why writers don't watch their past episodes before they write the new season.

5 hours ago, Cramps said:

Joe's hair is supposed to be Kurt Cobain-ish. Every season Cameron's look is some "comtemporary" version of alternative. Donna and Gordon dress mainstream for the period-but representing their place and status  in life at that point, and Joe's look completely changes into whatever "the" look of the time is. In this case, pseudo-grunge actually dovetails well with his depressed basement dweller status. I always enjoy seeing how the costume and hair team have changed the cast each season.  

Both Joe and Cameron get hair cuts next week. Joe's hair looks pretty short. Cameron's hair is still that yucky brown color, but at least it's her hair. I don't know if Joe will still be wearing that leather jacket. lol

Edited by cinles
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, CanadaPhil said:

Cinny!!... yer here!...Hi

hahahahaha

Are you on any other place that talks about HACF?

I thought I would just try to settle in at Prev.TV after we became IMDB refugees. :D

The timeline IS confusing, that's for sure. I guess it really must be well into 1994?? but it's contradictory at times because there WERE browser competitors in place by then and search engines were ALREADY a thing??... so I don't know what Joe and Cameron were up to in over 3 years!????

Leave it to Gordon to have to be the rock and try to be the captain of the ship and keep them afloat with CALNect??... but just what the hell is CalNect... Next... Net??? hahaha

I guess they are meant to be some kind of ISP?.. but if its already well into 1994 (or '95 even!?), just what the hell have their clients been using to access the internet?? (software wise) 

But hey, I'm just happy our goofy little show is back from the dead with an opportunity for a satisfying conclusion.

:)

PS... but geez... they castrated Bos. :(

It was painfull to see him begging.

RIP "old" Bos.

I saw some other people on another forum, then they disappeared. I can't find any place where they are posting about HACF. I'm still going thru IMDb withdrawal. I hate them. I'm not too fond of this board, but at least you're here. ;)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, CanadaPhil said:

My guess is they are going for Con-nect only with California. So it's Cal-nect. Get it? No? Well, at least it was never actually used.

Donna is being *really* smug in her scenes. It's grating. I know she's in charge, and she shouldn't suffer fools, but if you're going to cut someone's funding just say so. To be fair, I thought she and Gordon were nice to each other at the restaurant though. She seemed toned down in the second episode too. Plus I felt bad with the guy talking over her in the meeting. 

On 8/20/2017 at 1:48 AM, Sam Hobbs said:

Yahoo was a successful search engine before Google got created in the last part of 1998.

I remember using Webcrawler too. But yes, you had to get some precise wording in your search. 

I have to agree with Cameron: living in Tokyo was like a weird fever dream for me too. 

Cameron's game seemed convoluted just for the sake of being obtuse. Solving the puzzle to take you back to the start of the game seems counterproductive. Focus grouping to boys who are into Mortal Kombat seems short sighted too. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
On 8/20/2017 at 2:44 PM, Addlepated said:

They played "Doll Parts" by Hole, which came out in 1994.

On 8/20/2017 at 5:48 PM, whiporee said:

I'm putting it late 1993, and maybe they got an early version of the song and video. 

The song was played only from the audience's perspective (not the characters').

1 hour ago, Rowsdower said:

The song was played only from the audience's perspective (not the characters').

The Chrises said it was 1993 in one interview & 1994 in another, so everyone is right. lol

On 8/22/2017 at 3:12 PM, CanadaPhil said:

Here is a piece on HACF in The Atlantic....

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/halt-and-catch-fire-season-four-review/537558/

Also, if you were ever interested in a listing of all the music tracks that have played in the HACF soundtrack, you can bookmark this page at TuneFind...

https://www.tunefind.com/show/halt-and-catch-fire

Thanks, Phil! Why did it seem like there were more than 3 songs? Has anyone noticed now that the show is ending, it's getting better and more publicity - Steve Wozniak tweeted about the show the other day & with the unfortunate Chris Cantwell name mix-up, it surely got some people interested. I wonder if the ratings are out - not that it matters. AMC isn't even requiring a login, but they are still playing the frigging ads. lol 

Edited by cinles

This show is destined for cult classiic status and people will discover it in future and binge watch it. 

53 minutes ago, cinles said:

Thanks, Phil! Why did it seem like there were more than 3 songs? 

And yeah, it did feel like more than 3 songs to me as well. Its funny how some episodes have had as little as 1 song and others have had as many as 8 at times.

When this is all said and done, I will use the HACF soundtrack list to make up an interesting 80s/90s playlist. 

• Love 2

Netscape? Lycos? Those were my go-to search engines before The Google. I never liked Ask Jeeves.

I knew Donna would throw Bos a bone. But it's saddening it had to come at the expense of the woman of color, who will do all the work and get none of the credit.

Edited by attica
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, attica said:

Netscape? Lycos? Those were my go-to search engines before The Google. I never liked Ask Jeeves.

I knew Donna would throw Bos a bone. But it's saddening it had to come at the expense of the woman of color, who will do all the work and get none of the credit.

Given the circumstances, Donna was likely going to get stuck with some kid from the old boys network, so she turned it around and got Bos instead. The other execs seemed pretty set against Donna's protege.

• Love 1

Given how quickly all the guys were throwing around names, Donna made the best out of that. 

It was also a good counter point to her ordering around the tech people and not getting a word in during the meeting. 

That lady looked more in charge though when they showed Bos at the meeting at the end though. 

6 hours ago, attica said:

I missed that - after watching 3 times. I got that the assistant got demoted & I remember the meeting where she walked in the room, but where was the scene that showed Donna was giving that to Bos and how is he qualified for that job?

In the big meeting where they circled back to drill down on the issue, all the men were throwing out names of who could come in to help on the project, and Donna finally said, 'If you're going to insist on outside help, I know someone. Let me just make a call.' The ensuing scene opened with Bos talking to the staff, so it's fairly clear to infer that was who she called. 

Whether he's really qualified or not isn't really relevant imo. I could buy that Donna could talk him up enough to convince the others. She knows him well and they worked together before. Also mainly because he was a white guy. The whole point of the scene was that as soon as Donna brought up her friend for the job, they all hemmed and hawwed about her 'qualifications' which she clearly has more than Bos, but Donna was still able to get Bos the job. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ganesh said:

In the big meeting where they circled back to drill down on the issue, all the men were throwing out names of who could come in to help on the project, and Donna finally said, 'If you're going to insist on outside help, I know someone. Let me just make a call.' The ensuing scene opened with Bos talking to the staff, so it's fairly clear to infer that was who she called. 

Whether he's really qualified or not isn't really relevant imo. I could buy that Donna could talk him up enough to convince the others. She knows him well and they worked together before. Also mainly because he was a white guy. The whole point of the scene was that as soon as Donna brought up her friend for the job, they all hemmed and hawwed about her 'qualifications' which she clearly has more than Bos, but Donna was still able to get Bos the job. 

Thanks! I did miss that. I hope they don't drop that storyline.