Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: It's not about a f***ing tree

9 hours ago, surveyandprotect1 said:

How long can Vaninia hold on?

How long can Gage hold on?  I always feel like those two have one foot out the door because of the continual chaos.  Jenni and Zoila seem to have made their peace with the life Jeff has constructed.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, rehoboth said:

How long can Gage hold on?  I always feel like those two have one foot out the door because of the continual chaos.  Jenni and Zoila seem to have made their peace with the life Jeff has constructed.

Jeff has some serious issues. It would be difficult to live  him under any circumstances, he's anal.  I am hoping that becoming a parent will loosen him up and soften him hopefully we can see a less selfish side of Jeff. Caring for an infant can be challenging in itself , I pray the Jeff and  Gage are up to it. It can take a heavy toll on the relationship if you can't look beyond yourself.  

• Love 11
10 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Jeff really needs to learn some personnel management skills. 

I do remember one episode some season back, where they actually had an expert to come in to the office to try and teach management skills. It worked for awhile , but of course Jeff reverted .He's has to be himself, so sad. He's a complete Narcissist..   

3 hours ago, JAndy said:

I felt bad for her. Does anyone know if she left?

I don't believe she will leave, at least not yet , next week's episode reveal that he refused to accept her resignation. Good luck. 

• Love 6

Vanina is absolutely right, Jeff will never think anything she does is good enough.

He will never give her credit when due, not acknowledge the thousand little things/fires she puts out in the course of a day.

But Vanina knows this after working for him for these many years.

Jeff is one of those infuriating bosses that one moment you want to wring their necks and the next be professionally challenged because the clients they attract are great.

Hope she stays on the job/show.

• Love 5

Is Jeff and Gage's relationship truly that unhealthy or do they (Jeff) play it up for the cameras? I don't think I've ever really seen Gage do anything wrong to warrant the freak out scream time Jeff goes into. If their relationship really is that bad a baby isn't going to solve anything it's going to make it worse. A child does not need to grow up like that. 

• Love 10

Jenny is becoming longer in the tooth to me than Zoila. I'm sick of her being in every scene, at every waking moment making her faces and her fakey psychoanalysis. I know that was her schtick in the beginning as Jeffs "foil" but its getting old and the screen be gettin crowded.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pegasaurus said:

Maybe Gage has legally adopted Monroe so if there is a split, he would have some parental rights?

I certainly hope so.  I remember when Jeff's ex, Ryan Brown, was still on the show.  He had a new partner and they had also fathered a child through surrogacy.  I believe he said their sperm was used as a milk shake and they didn't really know who was the father.  At the time I thought that it might work initially but as the child grew they would start to see a resemblance one way or another.  Still, I think that would be the better way to go.  

Edited by Emmeline

I used to love this show, but last night's episode really bothered me. I think Jeff has some serious issues. It's not normal to get pleasure from deliberately hurting the people you care about the most. He does it with Zoila, he does it with his staff, and he definitely does it with Gage. It's one thing to be upset about something, like an order being wrong or something, but he goes out of his way to say, "Hey, it really upsets and hurt's XXX's feelings when I do this or talk about that, so I'm going to do this and talk about that just because I think it's fun to hurt the people I love." 

I was also upset when it showed upcoming things, and Gage asked Jeff why he doesn't get up for the 7:00 feedings, and Jeff said because he pays for everything? Really??? What a d*** thing to say. Gage works every bit as hard as Jeff does, and the baby is just as much Jeff's responsibility as Gage's. 

• Love 22
49 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I certainly hope so.  I remember when Jeff's ex, Ryan Brown, was still on the show.  He had a new partner and they had also fathered a child through surrogacy.  I believe he said their sperm was used as a milk shake and they didn't really know who who was they father.  At the time I thought that it might work initially but as the child grew they would start to see a resemblance one way or another.  Still, I think that would be the better way to go.  

That's interesting. In the previews, I was wondering the same thing about Gage. Does he have any rights? He definitely should legally adopt Monroe to give him some if he doesn't. 

I also think that Neil Patrick Harris and his husband David Burtke don't know which of the twins they fathered and they said that they never wanted to find out. 

Edited by JAndy
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Pegasaurus said:

And what a weird place that must be to work.  They all sit around at tables clicking away on their keyboards, each one waiting and hoping Jeff doesn't single them out.  Then they all have to sit at the table together and eat lunch.  Thank goodness there are field trips to various job sites, etc.

Oh, and the wallpaper in Zoila's room made my eyes spin.  (sensitive to patterns, here)

Agree on both points. Re the "sitting around." What exactly are they clicking away at? Looking up design samples? Emailing clients? It just seems a bit odd to me. Seems like there should be more talking/consulting/discussing.

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, StarryNight said:

I used to love this show, but last night's episode really bothered me. I think Jeff has some serious issues. It's not normal to get pleasure from deliberately hurting the people you care about the most. He does it with Zoila, he does it with his staff, and he definitely does it with Gage. It's one thing to be upset about something, like an order being wrong or something, but he goes out of his way to say, "Hey, it really upsets and hurt's XXX's feelings when I do this or talk about that, so I'm going to do this and talk about that just because I think it's fun to hurt the people I love." 

I was also upset when it showed upcoming things, and Gage asked Jeff why he doesn't get up for the 7:00 feedings, and Jeff said because he pays for everything? Really??? What a d*** thing to say. Gage works every bit as hard as Jeff does, and the baby is just as much Jeff's responsibility as Gage's. 

YES, I thought that was terrible!!!  I guess Jeff doesn't think that Gage's hard work doesn't bring in any income.  Yes, it's called Jeff Lewis Design but Gage is HUGE part of the entire enterprise!       

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Pegasaurus said:

I know!  At least I would like a work station with a sense of privacy.   Their work set-up reminds me of a first grade school room.  

I like to think that they are all shoved into one room for filming/drama.  I can't imagine Gage not having a private office for his real work.  I am probably more like Gage than anyone else at Jeff Lewis Design and I know that I couldn't work under those circumstances.

• Love 4

Gage works every bit as hard as Jeff does, and the baby is just as much Jeff's responsibility as Gage's. 

Jeff is the talent, although I think he's just another dime-a-dozen designer - nothing special about his skill set. (Other than being smart enough to get on reality TV and make money, especially when the economy crashed.) Gage is the person who is holding the business together, keeping it solvent and executing a strategy to make it grow. I have no doubt.

Jeff is an asshole. He has his clever moments and he plays up the Grinch factor, but his true personality is bully. He's shown zero psychological growth since the show first aired. I hope Gage has smart legal contracts in place.

I believe Jeff will not bond with the baby, nor put her first in his life. He doesn't have the ability to do that. Anyone can have occasional emotional moments, make statements about how the baby has changed his life, and cry crocodile tears for the camera. It's called pandering to a reality TV audience and business partners.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Jeff is the talent, although I think he's just another dime-a-dozen designer - nothing special about his skill set. (Other than being smart enough to get on reality RV and make money, especially when the economy crashed.) Gage is the person who is holding the business together, keeping it solvent and executing a strategy to make it grow. I have no doubt.

Jeff is an asshole. He has his clever moments and he plays up the Grinch factor, but his true personality is bully. He's shown zero psychological growth since the show first aired. I hope Gage has smart legal contracts in place.

I believe Jeff will not bond with the baby, nor put her first in his life. He doesn't have the ability to do that. Anyone can have occasional emotional moments, make statements about how the baby has changed his life, and cry crocodile tears for the camera. It's called pandering to a reality TV audience and business partners.

I think you are 100% correct- Gage keeps the real business going.  

If that is the case, then Ryan (Jeff's ex beau and business partner in JLD) must've been the businessman in the relationship too.   

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

And if we hear one more teary, quavery-voiced TH from Jenny about her desperation to have another baby, I'm going to vomit.

I felt bad for her. When you're trying to get pregnant and can't, it's really tough. I know other people who can't get pregnant at all, probably feel like she's lucky to have that one daughter. I don't think I could go through all of that IVF to have a second child, but I definitely would have done it for my first. 

• Love 7
On 8/18/2017 at 1:50 PM, Emmeline said:

I remember when Jeff's ex, Ryan Brown, was still on the show.  He had a new partner and they had also fathered a child through surrogacy.  I believe he said their sperm was used as a milk shake and they didn't really know who was the father.

Is that really possible? I mean to mix the sperm up like that? Who provides the egg? The surrogate carries the baby but it's not her egg? This whole subject is fascinating to me. I think I remembering Jeff saying last season the next baby would be from Gage's sperm, maybe I heard that wrong. 

On 8/18/2017 at 1:05 PM, StarryNight said:

I think Jeff has some serious issues. It's not normal to get pleasure from deliberately hurting the people you care about the most. He does it with Zoila, he does it with his staff, and he definitely does it with Gage. It's one thing to be upset about something, like an order being wrong or something, but he goes out of his way to say, "Hey, it really upsets and hurt's XXX's feelings when I do this or talk about that, so I'm going to do this and talk about that just because I think it's fun to hurt the people I love." 

Yes! And it's not just that he's a jerk to people (although that is definitely a problem) -- it's that when his damaging behaviors are explained to him clearly and calmly, his reaction is "well she just needs to get over it." He's completely unwilling to consider that possibility that he is the one who needs to change. If Vanina has been there for six years and has only been miserable for the last one, then she is NOT too sensitive! Normal people have breaking points! I hate to say all this because I really do like Jeff and think he is capable of being a good person, but it's really not fun to watch him be the same bully he was 9 seasons ago, with no growth in sight. He could still be snarky and entertaining without taking it out directly on the people closest to him.

3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

And if we hear one more teary, quavery-voiced TH from Jenny about her desperation to have another baby, I'm going to vomit.

Me too. I know some people are really hung up on having bio kids, and life doesn't always go as planned, etc. etc., but there's just nothing interesting or relatable about that storyline for me. It doesn't help that Jenni wasted so many years on that crappy first husband (not necessarily her fault, but it probably cost her a few childbearing opportunities), and however old she actually is, her skin makes her appear to be in the 50-60 year range. Is she a smoker and/or heavy drinker? I would expect a woman of Greek descent to have skin that aged a little better unless she's not taking care of herself.

I'm also not too interested in watching the inevitable wacky hijinks of Jeff becoming a parent. I don't enjoy new baby storylines on any show, and I doubt this one will be any better. We finally got rid of Zoila as a main character and now we're replacing her with someone else just as needy and useless. (Sorry but it's true! Babies almost never have jobs!!!) Sadly I may take this one off the DVR soon.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Is that really possible? I mean to mix the sperm up like that? Who provides the egg? The surrogate carries the baby but it's not her egg? This whole subject is fascinating to me. I think I remembering Jeff saying last season the next baby would be from Gage's sperm, maybe I heard that wrong. 

No you are right. They said they used Jeffs sperm because he's older so it was more likely to not be as good next time around. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Yes, you can mix the sperm if you want which is what Ryan and his partner did. Jeff and Gage chose an egg donor, Jeff's sperm and a separate surrogate.

• Love 2

On the subject of Gage and the 7 am feeding:  Won't they have a baby nurse live in to help with the child? And a nanny later?  I'm sure they can afford it.   I feel like this  conflict, between Gage and Jeff, is being played up for the show.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yes, you can mix the sperm if you want which is what Ryan and his partner did. Jeff and Gage chose an egg donor, Jeff's sperm and a separate surrogate.

You can mix it but even if you did that 10 times, you may still end up with the same dad 10 times.  I guess they just wanted to leave the dad a mystery?  Even though you can usually tell by looks eventually.

• Love 1

I have been kind of meh for a couple seasons, but really liked this episode. I could do without the constant punking of Gage, but I enjoyed the more real-life moments. More dad and grandma would be great. They are a hoot, and you can totally see how Jeff's personality is familial. 

I feel sorry for V. Although I find him witty and entertaining (and often right about whatever he is going off on), I could never work with someone that is as intense and blunt to the point of harshness. Unless you are made of steel, it would wear on you and eventually crush your spirit. I mean, who hasn't Jeff made cry! Luckily I can enjoy him from afar! 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

This season is probably going to show that I am once again, all in for Jeff Lewis, there is nothing he can do that can make me not like him. There is nothing that can make me not like Gage either. I love how different and yet perfect for each other Jeff and Gage are. I also get the people who are sick of Jenni. Yet, I am not a "womany" woman, I don't bond with them and yet I just completely want to be Jenni's friend. I love her ridiculousness and she is probably the only woman that I will listen to go on about her fertility issues. I also love how she has a disconnect with coworkers and clients, yet also bonds with them, if that makes sense. I love it when she goes into little off topic, bonding type conversations with people. 

Flipping out is by far my favorite show in the universe.

Ditto - I love this show!!

• Love 1

I actually feel uncomfortable watching many of the work scenes and could not imagine not only working elbow to elbow with people but being watched and mocked every day. If you need to use the restroom, Jeff would demand to know if it is number one or number two, time how long you are in there and ask embarrassing questions in front of everyone. If you showed you were embarrassed, he would taunt you more. Jenny is the classic person who mocks others so she doesn't get mocked. I also don't see how Vanina is getting anything professional out of this beyond the Bravo paycheck. She will never get the chance to do her projects, make decisions or grow as a designer.

I feel sorry for Jeff and Gage's daughter. As she gets older she will be yelled at and mocked mercilessly by Jeff and he will want to control everything she says and does. I really feel he is too selfish a person to be a parent.  I have a sister in law like this and she does things like announce at a family party that her 13 year old was on her period and that she had tampons in her purse. My niece was in tears especially since there were teenage male cousins in the room. Jeff would absolutely do this. He is generous but only on his own terms and in the way he wants. He gives great gifts but doesn't take into account what the recipient wants, only what he wants. I started off not liking Gage, but I now think he is a better person than Jeff and shouldn't have to take so much crap no matter how much of it is'humor'.

Edited by Madding crowd
To and too
  • Love 7

Jeff said before his Mother and Grandmother are that way and that's where he learned it. But that's not an excuse. He really is vile to his people. I had a boss who did that to me. I lasted a year. Now I'm in the same line of work but with wonderful, supportive bosses. It matters!!

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, pasdetrois said:

Jeff is the talent, although I think he's just another dime-a-dozen designer - nothing special about his skill set. (Other than being smart enough to get on reality TV and make money, especially when the economy crashed.) Gage is the person who is holding the business together, keeping it solvent and executing a strategy to make it grow. I have no doubt.

I agree, I will be surprised to see Jeff really bond with the baby also, his character is not conducive to parenting..

I worked for a woman with a personality like Jeff. She had some good qualities along with her anger/blame issues, but I was just way too sensitive to deal with it on a daily basis. The only people that survived were the zen ones, like Jenny, who just don't give a flip or the ones who had a really thick skin. Jeff needs to figure out how to weed the sensitive souls out before he hires them.

• Love 2
On 8/22/2017 at 1:00 PM, Madding crowd said:

As she gets older she will be yelled at and mocked mercilessly by Jeff and he will want to control everything she says and does. I really feel he is too selfish a person to be a parent.

We don't know this.  

I think he will be a great father.

• Love 3

This episode is a perfect example of Jeff's problems. He yells and belittles and gets it out of his system, moves on and than can't understand why the other person is still angry and upset. This is then compounded by the fact that he is sarcastic and enjoys needling people even when he isnt upset, when the people around him aren't upset they get that he is joking and respond in kind but when they are still upset they don't go along and he then double downs to try and cajole them into forgiving him and it exacerbates the issues.

I know that things are staged but you could see how upset Vanina was and how much lighter she felt when he realized she was serious about leaving. And Jeff being Jeff once he realized she was serious he quickly adapted to the new order of things. Of course next week it will probably be more of the same.

I am curious to see what they are going to do with New Hollywood because it is so freaking ugly and most of that is cosmetic, even just removing the furniture will be a huge improvement, but the "cosmetic" is still going to be a lot (changing out the floors, removing columns, and switching out banister, etc).

• Love 8

Will Jeff rent out the New Hollywood, after he does the renovations? He doesn't want a buyer coming in and possibly ruining the view, so I would guess renting it is what he is planning? I am getting confused on all of the houses. What happens to Old Hollywood after the renovations? And they are planning to stay in the third house, where they are currently living, right?

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

What happens to Old Hollywood after the renovations? And they are planning to stay in the third house, where they are currently living, right?

Too many houses! I think Jeff's plan is to finish Old Hollywood and then sell it, then update New Hollywood and sell it and he doesn't have to give a damn if the new buyers obstruct the view. I am confused based on how the lots were positioned how New Hollywood could obstruct Old Hollywood but Jeff's vision is better than mine so I imagine he knows.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Too many houses! I think Jeff's plan is to finish Old Hollywood and then sell it, then update New Hollywood and sell it and he doesn't have to give a damn if the new buyers obstruct the view. I am confused based on how the lots were positioned how New Hollywood could obstruct Old Hollywood but Jeff's vision is better than mine so I imagine he knows.

New Hollywood is the pretty white/cream one and Old Hollywood is the mustard yellow one next door, right?