Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: Finals

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Katelyn has an absolutely great figure. I just cannot get over how her hair ruins her look. If she has extensions, those babies need to come out because they are not helping. Yet, as stated before, other girls that needed major makeovers later made the team. I am mystified as to why she was not taken, just like you all. I would have cut Brianna and taken Katelyn.

• Love 2

Katelyn REALLY needs a makeover as I don't think that darkness is her real color.  It's too harsh and too flat for it to be natural.  Yes, I know hair color can be flat, but there's usually a texture, a skin tone (and not necessarily in terms of color), something that goes along with the shade that I don't think Katelyn has.  She may be a natural brunette or have brown hair, but, if her hair's colored, she should hack off about a foot of length at least, let the color grow out and, when possible, take it all off at once.  Plus, she might want to change her hair care routine.  Her hair will thank her for it.  I know mine did when I switched from Herbal Essences shampoo/conditioner to Moroccan Oil Moisture Repair.  My hair went from a frizzy and faded gray-brown-blonde to a smoother and darker shade of the trio.  I've gotten compliments on how much healthier and better it looks.

So we know that Katelyn was an LSU Golden Girl and danced with several current and former DCCs. Is it possible that one or more of them didn't like her or found her to not be a good teammate, and made that known to Kelli and Judy? Heck, it could have come from Jacie or the choreographer that used to coach them and did a dance for DCC last year (can't think of her name). 

We know that they get reccomendations from dance teachers and coaches, it's possible that they had some Intel that was never discussed. K, J and C have the final say, I could see Katelyn (or any other woman trying out) scoring in the top 45 to make Training Camp, and then quietly being passed over for some reason. 

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

So we know that Katelyn was an LSU Golden Girl and danced with several current and former DCCs. Is it possible that one or more of them didn't like her or found her to not be a good teammate, and made that known to Kelli and Judy? Heck, it could have come from Jacie or the choreographer that used to coach them and did a dance for DCC last year (can't think of her name). 

We know that they get reccomendations from dance teachers and coaches, it's possible that they had some Intel that was never discussed. K, J and C have the final say, I could see Katelyn (or any other woman trying out) scoring in the top 45 to make Training Camp, and then quietly being passed over for some reason. 

+1 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

There were girls before who left TC after the show started and no other girl were brought in to replace the girl who left (Season one had at least one girl who left TC.)

Season 1 (2006)  two girls that left TC: Cerissa and Dinesha

Season 6 (2011)  one girl left TC: Christina Marie

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1

It's funny how people mention it would take more than one treatment to get Katelyns hair color lighter. And yet they take less talented girls with terrible kicks that require weeks of stretching, yoga, and technique into Training Camp. Let a girl go to a salon multiple times!

Id think a haircut is a million times easier to make into a DCC than a girl without technique or lowkicks. But guess I'm not the one making the decisions!  

I think the strangest thing about Katelyn is that they do take the time to show how amazing her kicks are and we never really see any criticism other than her hair, so her "storyline" never feels complete. It would make more sense for 18 year old Brianna to get cut than Katelyn. It's very odd. 

Edited by Stee
  • Love 10

If Katelun's hair is colored (and depending on what her natural coloring is), stripping out all that dark colorant and redoing it a different shade would absolutely trash her hair AFAIK.  It's better to let the color grow out and cut off the stuff you don't want.  I'm pretty sure that's why they couldn't do a lot with Maddie last year because, to get all that black out would do a lot of damage to her hair.  In fact, Katelyn reminds me a lot of Maddy in terms of coloring so I wouldn't be surprised if her (Katelyn's) coloring was similar if the black/dark isn't natural.

I remember a girl (not on Making the Team, but another show) where she's colored her hair, permed it, and used a relaxer.  She was going to get a makeover done and they ended up having to shave her head because her hair was already so fried that they couldn't do anything else to it.  The girl wasn't happy about it, but I saw the girl a year or so later and her hair was gorgeous.  I think she realized what she'd done and didn't want to do it again.

Edited by EricaShadows
7 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

But that is great drama! Why not mention it at all? Or if they were afraid of bringing it up on tv, they could have focused on other girls.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Stee said:

It's funny how people mention it would take more than one treatment to get Katelyns hair color lighter. And yet they take less talented girls with terrible kicks that require weeks of stretching, yoga, and technique into Training Camp. Let a girl go to a salon multiple times!

Right?  It's not like she looks like some kind of freak...IMO it's not like she even looks bad, just something not so harsh would look better.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

Meh. I mean, anything is possible, but I really don't think that's the case. It COULD be, but I doubt it. We don't see everything.

Moral of the story folks:  don't dye your hair black (speaking from experience here).

In her case, I think a good chop job a la Jinelle would have brought her look a long way, even if they couldn't lighten it a whole lot.

I really liked her.  Darn.

• Love 1

I wonder how much Kelli and Judy communicate with production during the audition process?  Like, maybe we're seeing a disconnect between the girls who have good "stories" and get a lot of coverage during the audition process (i.e., Katelynn with her single mom, Lacey with the Rams moving and her brother dying) and the girls who are really front-runners.  Every year a few women make it into TC and even by the end of the season we're all, "Wait, WHO are they???"

I'm just thinking there are producers and story editors piecing the show together, but I don't know how much insight they get from Kelli and others with the organization to highlight certain candidates or not highlight others.

1 hour ago, Nancybeth said:

I wonder how much Kelli and Judy communicate with production during the audition process?  Like, maybe we're seeing a disconnect between the girls who have good "stories" and get a lot of coverage during the audition process (i.e., Katelynn with her single mom, Lacey with the Rams moving and her brother dying) and the girls who are really front-runners.  Every year a few women make it into TC and even by the end of the season we're all, "Wait, WHO are they???"

I'm just thinking there are producers and story editors piecing the show together, but I don't know how much insight they get from Kelli and others with the organization to highlight certain candidates or not highlight others.

When you look back at older seasons, they have always done that and it always irritated me because I wanted to kinda root for that person and wait, they didn't even b get past prelims?  ( season 4 The girl with the baby talking to husband in Iraq over webcam)  And with Candace Cook season 2 and let's see, the blonde twins, the triplets , I mean they obviously get all this info and backstory clips, photos, etc, before they start auditions, but why do they end up using these girls who don't even make to finals. I am still so annoyed that they wasted so much time on these clips because I purchased 2 whole episodes of it and watching the solos made it difficult to see anyones full talent because the clips of the routine was like 2 -3 seconds each. I just watched S 7 again and it was not a problem at all to get all the footage they needed for 1 two hour episode and by the 2nd week after show was aired we were watching them in training camp already. The fact that we have not yet seen more than a second, some not at all, of  so many TCCs is      AAARRRRGGGGGG .   I would have purchased the episodes individually starting at 3 if I had known.

Yay! I finally got to watch this episode. (It was a busy week.) I haven't read anyone else's comments yet, but here are my first, uninfluenced impressions:

* KITTY - Wasn't Kitty's portion of the finals episode short?  Doesn't she go over the DCC routine anymore, or do they just not show that?  

* INTERVIEWS - I was surprised we didn't get more of the Interview process. 

* DAYTON - I felt bad for Dayton and thought she'd have been better prepared, with Shelly being a former DCC and current member of the organization.  First time; maybe nerves torpedoed her.

* HOT TOPIC - Kalyssa: I thought her explanation that she thought they were asking her the name of the first, first lady was either genuine or she can think very well under pressure! lol

* BRIANNA - I thought Kelli took Brianna into TC - despite her kicks - because she wanted a closer look at her. Seeing her for a TT of 5 or 6 minutes across 3 audition process steps isn't a lot, especially when she couldn't focus on her completely. I think she wanted to see her in action doing DCC style to see how much she could grasp. If Brianna comes back next year, I think she'll definitely be better prepared.

* REJECTED - I felt bad that Alexandra, Lacey and Briana (from Nashville) didn't make TC. :(

* GIVEAWAY - CMT should stop showcasing the Vet who will be cut by featuring all her answers to audition questions. I know who's going to be cut just from that!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

Hi Everyone, brand-newbie here, I'm SO glad to find a group that is as obsessed with this show as I am.  I watched all 9 available seasons while on maternity leave with my son 2 years ago (plus a few episodes that I could find on the web from season 1) and I LOVE when this show is on. 

I just read almost all 156+ pages of the auditions thread, which took me 3 days of almost solid reading, so I'm just going to jump right on in here. :-)

I work in reality Television, and I'm happy to answer any production-related questions :-)  I quoted the above because I have some insight on this. They probably talk to the DCC Staff very little in the weeks running up to this. They are probably super busy with other things, plus she likely doesn't really know for sure who is going to show up looking great and who isn't.  I'd guess the staff knows who some of these girls are, but they seem to be pretty fresh slate about all new talent when they arrive (or I'd guess we'd here more "I'm expecting a lot from this one" or "I saw her in the xyz show/video/whatever and she could be a real candidate").

They are limited to preinterview girls they KNOW will be at auditions and that have an interesting back-story, and I bet these are actually a little hard to find, and harder if you try to add "girls they think will make it".  Once they are shot, they can't really ditch any unless they turned out terrible.  I mean, If I was producing this, I'd know right away that the ballroom girl wasn't going to make it, but her story is great, so you really can't leave her out.  If the producers are smart, someone is in this forum looking at the tryouts thread since they seem to know in advance who is (or might be) trying out, and they probably scour instagram and ask the prep-class leaders who is taking their classes. 

Sometimes they catch one of their highlighted girls on the way out the door, but I'd guess if they were cut, they run out the door FAST, or if they do manage to catch them, I bet lots won't go on camera but most likely the ... 3 ? maybe 4 cameras are off somewhere else catching the other important other parts (vets that got cut, girls celebrating and meeting moms and dads). Catching up to 4-5 individuals in what I can only assume is complete mahem (and all the girls look an awful lot alike by that point), is really really hard, and they only get one chance - probably 15 minutes - before people who got cut are in their cars and driving away.  

I totally agree that it's annoying, and usually in shows like this, they solve it with a narrator telling you what happened, which this show doesn't have.  And, I can't say for sure, but I'd bet actual money that kelly/judy would never agree to do any kind of interview bite or VO to explain where those girls went, I'm sure time with them is precious, and also, why would they know and/or give a crap about what happened to that girl?  That would be awkward too.   And honestly, we forget all about those girls by ep 3 anyway once the confusion of wait... who made it again?? has worn off and we meet our TCC's. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Collette1104 said:

I just read almost all 156+ pages of the auditions thread, which took me 3 days of almost solid reading, so I'm just going to jump right on in here. :-)

Just want to applaud this commitment! ?

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, KatebytheSea said:

Yay! I finally got to watch this episode. (It was a busy week.) I haven't read anyone else's comments yet, but here are my first, uninfluenced impressions:

* KITTY - Wasn't Kitty's portion of the finals episode short?  Doesn't she go over the DCC routine anymore, or do they just not show that?  

* INTERVIEWS - I was surprised we didn't get more of the Interview process. 

* DAYTON - I felt bad for Dayton and thought she'd have been better prepared, with Shelly being a former DCC and current member of the organization.  First time; maybe nerves torpedoed her.

* HOT TOPIC - Kalyssa: I thought her explanation that she thought they were asking her the name of the first, first lady was either genuine or she can think very well under pressure! lol

* BRIANNA - I thought Kelli took Brianna into TC - despite her kicks - because she wanted a closer look at her. Seeing her for a TT of 5 or 6 minutes across 3 audition process steps isn't a lot, especially when she couldn't focus on her completely. I think she wanted to see her in action doing DCC style to see how much she could grasp. If Brianna comes back next year, I think she'll definitely be better prepared.

* REJECTED - I felt bad that Alexandra, Lacey and Briana (from Nashville) didn't make TC. :(

* GIVEAWAY - CMT should stop showcasing the Vet who will be cut by featuring all her answers to audition questions. I know who's going to be cut just from that!

Didn't Alexandra make it?  Not Massachusetts girl, the dark haired one?

tumblr_neh4wupCAv1qm7imdo1_400.gif

20 minutes ago, bunny said:

Just want to applaud this commitment! ?

I was ready to stop at page 80 or so, and then I jumped to the end just to be up to date on the current, and .... well, I had to go back and read allll the rest that I had missed.

If I put that much of my time into exercising and meal planning, I might look (a little) more like a DCC. 

Edited by Collette1104
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Collette1104 said:

Hi Everyone, brand-newbie here, I'm SO glad to find a group that is as obsessed with this show as I am.  I watched all 9 available seasons while on maternity leave with my son 2 years ago (plus a few episodes that I could find on the web from season 1) and I LOVE when this show is on. 

I work in reality Television, and I'm happy to answer any production-related questions :-)  I quoted the above because I have some insight on this. They probably talk to the DCC Staff very little in the weeks running up to this. They are probably super busy with other things, plus she likely doesn't really know for sure who is going to show up looking great and who isn't.  I'd guess the staff knows who some of these girls are, but they seem to be pretty fresh slate about all new talent when they arrive (or I'd guess we'd here more "I'm expecting a lot from this one" or "I saw her in the xyz show/video/whatever and she could be a real candidate").

They are limited to preinterview girls they KNOW will be at auditions and that have an interesting back-story, and I bet these are actually a little hard to find, and harder if you try to add "girls they think will make it".  Once they are shot, they can't really ditch any unless they turned out terrible.  I mean, If I was producing this, I'd know right away that the ballroom girl wasn't going to make it, but her story is great, so you really can't leave her out.  If the producers are smart, someone is in this forum looking at the tryouts thread since they seem to know in advance who is (or might be) trying out, and they probably scour instagram and ask the prep-class leaders who is taking their classes. 

Sometimes they catch one of their highlighted girls on the way out the door, but I'd guess if they were cut, they run out the door FAST, or if they do manage to catch them, I bet lots won't go on camera but most likely the ... 3 ? maybe 4 cameras are off somewhere else catching the other important other parts (vets that got cut, girls celebrating and meeting moms and dads). Catching up to 4-5 individuals in what I can only assume is complete mahem (and all the girls look an awful lot alike by that point), is really really hard, and they only get one chance - probably 15 minutes - before people who got cut are in their cars and driving away.  

I totally agree that it's annoying, and usually in shows like this, they solve it with a narrator telling you what happened, which this show doesn't have.  And, I can't say for sure, but I'd bet actual money that kelly/judy would never agree to do any kind of interview bite or VO to explain where those girls went, I'm sure time with them is precious, and also, why would they know and/or give a crap about what happened to that girl?  That would be awkward too.   And honestly, we forget all about those girls by ep 3 anyway once the confusion of wait... who made it again?? has worn off and we meet our TCC's. 

You know, when the black girl... what's her name... the one who made it to training camp last season and Kelli cut her and said, "I don't think you're right for this team."  

I was surprised that Kelli explained and gave closure to Whitney (just remembered) at the end of episode 2.  She almost never does that, at least not in my recollection.... I know the audition girls who are cut would be dying to know why they didn't make it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Calicocats said:

Didn't Alexandra make it?  Not Massachusetts girl, the dark haired one?

The dark haired Alexandra didn't make it, the blonde Alexandra did.  I really liked the dark haired one. Kelli said she had a lot of potential, but petered out on the field.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:20 AM, DaisyFields500 said:

I wish Katelyn made training camp.  I feel the hairstylist judge put the nail in the coffin.  He said her appearance was not relatable and cat-like which I disagree.  If he could or wanted to help her, then he would not have had said those things during deliberation.  I would go to another posh salon if I wanted to tryout again.  

Katelyn was the other finalist I'd hoped would have made TC. And what's wrong with cat-like? I think Kalyssa is rather cat-like too. I hope Katelyn gives it another go next year. 

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:57 PM, mmm said:

I don't understand the DCC mind so Cerstan and Kashara were practically twerking and Kalyssa is too sexy ( I don't believe there is even such a thing for a cheerleader) Also Kashara did a similar move to that DCC Angela a couple of seasons ago while auditioning for show group , Angela was told she shouldn't have done that and Kashara gets cold Kasexy !! SMH 

But a agree with Kitty on Kalyssa outfit  , i thought the second Kalyssa outfit was big improvement !!

I think it's overall impression (looks and dance) that allows some girls to get away with "twerking" and for others it's crass. KaShara had that huge smile on her face and just looks down-home sweet. Cerstan was really upbeat, and it looked like her solo had some comedic moves, from the way the judges were smiling and the laughter. (I REALLY want to see her entire solo!)  Kalyssa has an ultra sexy look. Sometimes, when that's combined with an ultra sexy solo, its all just too much. May not be fair, but it is what it is.

I like Kalyssa and agree that her 2nd outfit was much better than her first.

Edited by KatebytheSea
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, KatebytheSea said:

Yes I was surprised that Kitty's was cut short but if it was to give us more time with their solos, then that is fine.

I never thought they showcased the vet by seeking her out but imagine that Kelli may here are some on the bubble and they interview others too but don't show them.  They have done that since the 2 hour special where they also showed everyone wearing pink tops and blue bottoms until they decided that pink was a candidate color.  When someone was cut in the final on the special, the girls really didn't have time to console them as those chosen were on the middle of the field and Kelli met with them while others left.  It was interesting to see Kelli and Judy tear up because people were saying to cut several vets who they felt brought spirit etc to the team but were not in the best of shape.  Charlotte reminded them if they were a football player and a rookie outperformed them, the vet would be gone.

Watching this episode again. Red costumed Alexandra who tried out last year cannot kick. During Kitty's segment, I thought she would go through the dance combination, but it was skipped over. Maybe Popcorn girl did not make it back because she danced s******.

Tasha should NOT have made it back. Her interview was not good at all and she had a spare tire around the middle. I automatically do not like her right at this moment. I hope we see Kelli giving her a good talking to.

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

Watching this episode again. Red costumed Alexandra who tried out last year cannot kick. During Kitty's segment, I thought she would go through the dance combination, but it was skipped over. Maybe Popcorn girl did not make it back because she danced s******.

Tasha should NOT have made it back. Her interview was not good at all and she had a spare tire around the middle. I automatically do not like her right at this moment. I hope we see Kelli giving her a good talking to.

Poor Kelly popcorn.  She should've never said that she loves popcorn.  She will never shake that name?

Edited by ReneeK
  • Love 2

I may be showing my age (42), but if I was asked in an interview if I voted, I would reply "with all due respect if I vote and who I vote for is a private matter and I would rather not discuss politics ".  I think it is tacky and was kind of put off by the repeated questions about  Trump and his cabinet etc. I don't remember them doing that in the past   

Also, while I was very excited to vote when I turned 18, it was during Clinton's first run and he made a huge attempt to reach voters my age by going on MTV, Arsenio etc.  I can understand that someone at that age, that is probably not necessarily invested in the outcome, let's say, might not feel the urge to vote. My 21 year old son (white athletic male) is more interested in college and fraternity life and could not be persuaded to get involved.  My 17 year old MTF daughter followed the process daily this time and was more knowledgeable than me and lamented the fact she could not vote.

On 8/22/2017 at 0:50 AM, EricaShadows said:

Not only is it softcore, but 50 Shades is rumored to be a fan fiction in honor of the Twilight series.  I couldn't stand either series so there's 7 books I haven't read and probably 7 to 8 times as many that I have read that I could talk about.

Yes it was. The similarities are obvious once you realize they are there. The names and other details were changed to be published but they are the same in the original fanfic. It's out there on the interwebs if you are ever bored. The books are horribly written to boot. I cannot count how many times someone "murmured". People where murmuring in helicopters. Ain't nobody hearing you murmur in a freaking helicopter. 

I always get the question to Caila was a trap.  People shouldn't ask your opinion on politics in an interview.  What was she, 19?  Too young to know how to gracefully navigate that one!

They never asked this stuff when Obama was President.  Just who the nominee for President was (and that was a no-brained since it was the sitting president.  Or should have been a no brainer).  Wonder what prompted the change?

• Love 1

Asking about politics will always be tacky in my opinion. The only political questions I think are okay are ones that don't have an opinion attached. (Who is the first lady?, Can you name the democratic party nominee?) And honestly are the DCC even interviewed that often? I find it hard to believe they're ever asked about anything other than the DCC/Cowboys. If it's so important for them to know about politics (which it most definitely is) why not just put it on the test? 

I agree, I think Calia's question was a trap. 

I think the political questions are less about media interviews and more about situations where they may be interacting with team sponsors, business and military leaders, elected officials, etc.   They even chat with fans during meet and greets, one of those interactions could go badly and end up on social media. 

That being said, it's less about having the right answer and more about learning how to skillfully and diplomatically answer difficult questions without embarrassing the organization.  The media training they get will help them, so will practice.  For the girls who tryout that have never been in a formal interview setting, it's going to be a lot more intimidating at first. 

For example, I think Dayton would have been better off if she had said, " I didn't vote this year.  I know that voting is an important responsibility and I didn't feel ready to make that decision.  I definitely want to learn more about the process and look forward to voting in the next election."

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

For example, I think Dayton would have been better off if she had said, " I didn't vote this year.  I know that voting is an important responsibility and I didn't feel ready to make that decision.  I definitely want to learn more about the process and look forward to voting in the next election."

+1 from me here!!! It's been a looooong time since I've posted on here (haven't stopped reading the threads or watching the show though, just the commenting), BUT 100% agree with this. I think Dayton has so very much going for her, but the interview can be a make or break depending on the candidate. At least for me, answers like this come from practice and experience. I'm sure there are 18 year olds out there that would knock these types of questions out of the park, but it took me years to develop any sort of talent for it.  Even at 40, I still think jeez I could have answered that question better or at least in a different tone (I instruct other people in my agency with my same job how to more effectively communicate with each other, so I'm constantly teaching/instructing/answering questions/briefing/etc). 

I have a feeling Dayton's going to come back next year and kill it (in a good way).  

I have lots of other thoughts about this season so far, but that's really the one that has stood out the most to me. 

5 minutes ago, KnyghtRyder said:

I'm sure there are 18 year olds out there that would knock these types of questions out of the park, but it took me years to develop any sort of talent for it.  Even at 40, I still think jeez I could have answered that question better or at least in a different tone

I imagine every one of them walked out of that interview room and came up with better ways they could have answered the questions. (I do with every interaction I've ever had lol) Being interviewed is nerve-wracking. Being interviewed for your dream job is overwhelming, especially at 18 when you haven't had all that much experience with being interviewed. I have faith she will come back stronger because she does seem to have a good head on her shoulders and seems the type who can learn from such an experience. Next time I bet she will be ready. At least I hope so. I really liked her and am sad she didn't make it. Though it might be for the best. Come back stronger next time.

• Love 1
On 8/17/2017 at 7:28 PM, tajalexander said:

Yuko is still cute. Continue to sue me, lol. 

Calling her "Maddie" isn't going to help with making her less cute this season. With hat said, I love her.

FANTASTIC CUT BEFORE A COMMERICAL. 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS CERSTEN. I'm SHOOK.

Please..... What did Kelli mean when she said Cersten danced the whole alphabet. I have watched ovr and ovr and ovr and can't figure it out.  It was a great solo.