Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: You Will Be Gutted

• Start Topic

I like Nikki. I can't really say why, just that she's a little lost, has glommed on to the wrong surrogate family, and that's interesting to me. She's no more annoying than any of the other characters with their horrible actions and bad decisions. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, lazylou said:

I wonder how the crooked banker will contrive to deposit Pope's money.  

I just assumed he'd do it the smart way, just under the 'flaggable' amount for however long it takes till all the money is deposited, after all it's supposed to be a nest egg for Lena's college fund and she's about 10 to 12 years away from needing that, so there's no real rush.

Part of me wonders if Lucy is the secret queenpin or if she just has pull with the kingpin because she's sleeping with him too. It's too early to know yet. We also don't know how much gravitas this other group has, so it's all a bit premature to consider it a big deal. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

Given what we have been told neither had a normal childhood.  

That's true. I know that I usually complain about what an asshole and terrible father Baz is (which he is), but, really, its not surprising considering how he seems to have grown up. His father was an abusive criminal who beat the crap out of him, and his adopted mom was also a criminal who was deeply sexually inappropriate and emotionally abusive/manipulative towards her kids. I really doubt he has any idea how to correctly parent, so he hands Lena off to anyone else whos in the vicinity. It doesn't make it alright, and I still feel awful for Lena, but it does make me feel a bit more sympathy towards him when I think about it like that. I mean, at least he's more neglectful than outwardly abusive and nasty (usually) like his bio/adopted parents were.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, solea said:

I like Nikki. I can't really say why, just that she's a little lost, has glommed on to the wrong surrogate family, and that's interesting to me. She's no more annoying than any of the other characters with their horrible actions and bad decisions. 

I've been on the Nikki hate train but there have been moments when I have thought the same thing about her. She seemed to have a pretty normal childhood compared to the Cody's so she thinks it's "cool" to be a part of them. I liked her a few episodes ago when she yelled at Craig after picking him up from jail. But I'm pretty much done with her now after this past episode when J told her about Smurf murdering Cath and her not seeming to give two shits. Nikki, that could be you if you aren't careful.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I've been on the Nikki hate train but there have been moments when I have thought the same thing about her. She seemed to have a pretty normal childhood compared to the Cody's so she thinks it's "cool" to be a part of them. I liked her a few episodes ago when she yelled at Craig after picking him up from jail. But I'm pretty much done with her now after this past episode when J told her about Smurf murdering Cath and her not seeming to give two shits. Nikki, that could be you if you aren't careful.

Nicki's mother did leave when she was very little.  In Season One, Smurf seemed to understand Nicki quickly...remember when she suggested to J that some girls are just trying to shock their fathers?  
And then Nicki at one early point told J, "You aren't keeping up your end of being a bad influence."  So...this may all have begun as a way to get her dad's attention, even though she seems to ridicule him.  She has always had a frightening attraction though to drugs...  J seems destined to go with addicts.  Maybe not surprising, since, as someone said earlier, boys do marry their mothers.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yes I caught that too. In fact I read somewhere just recently that the "crossing wires to start a car" trope is total B.S. that only happens in the movies - today's cars don't work that way.

Pope seems to break into the cars the old fashioned way...  and the cars he steals seem to be older models...but I was just reading that new cars with key fobs, etc., can be hacked with an electronic device.  There is much here that is not quite believable...such as successfully robbing all those banks in one afternoon...and the amount of money he got from the robberies.  But, this is TV, not reality.

I know that I usually complain about what an asshole and terrible father Baz is (which he is), but, really, its not surprising considering how he seems to have grown up.

Baz has probably always been a crappy father but we didn't really notice it until Catherine died. Catherine took care of Lena and Baz was just there whenever he felt like it. The rest of the time he was either with Lucy or with the Codys. 

Man, I feel sorry for that kid. As if she hasn't been through enough, Pope takes her to see Smurf in prison??? WTH was he thinking? He seems like the only one besides Smurf who gives two shits about the kid and then he goes and does that to her, just to hurt Smurf? Did he have no regard for how Lena would feel about that? Way to make the kid's life even worse, asshole.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lazylou said:

Nicki's mother did leave when she was very little.  In Season One, Smurf seemed to understand Nicki quickly...remember when she suggested to J that some girls are just trying to shock their fathers?  
And then Nicki at one early point told J, "You aren't keeping up your end of being a bad influence."  So...this may all have begun as a way to get her dad's attention, even though she seems to ridicule him.  She has always had a frightening attraction though to drugs...  J seems destined to go with addicts.  Maybe not surprising, since, as someone said earlier, boys do marry their mothers.

I’d forgotten that about Nicki’s mother. I have some logistical—and some might say irrelevant—questions: Does her family still own (or rent) their home in San Diego? Otherwise, I’m wondering where her school has been mailing report cards, official test scores, etc. Did Nicki take the SAT, by the way?

Was it this episode or the last one where Lucy offered Nicki the Tijuana cocaine? J gave her a long look when she agreed to go away with Lucy, and I could tell that her heavy drug use bothers him. But he’s learned from his mother that telling someone, “I don’t think you should do those drugs” means diddly-squat to a person  who wants to use drugs.

19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Even assuming Craig could clean himself up enough and get off the coke, what kind of legit work could he go into? He could buy a business like Deran did but what would he have the wherewithal to run? He seems to understand mechanics well enough to disable the yacht. Or maybe he could just buy himself some kind of party boat and run something like that. That would be right up his alley.

I wonder if he could make it as an actor? He certainly has the looks for it, and he excels at fooling employers and co-workers, along with any woman he wants to sleep with or do drugs with. Of course, he’d be exposed to plenty of drugs once again, and he’d be in L.A., away from Deran and any other type of family support system.

19 minutes ago, topanga said:

I wonder if he could make it as an actor?

Has he ever had a job?  Besides the fictitious role that gets paychecks from Smurf's property mgmt business, and the occasional job that is masterminded by either Smurf or Baz (where he is typically the muscle), and his brief most recent stint as a waiter on the high seas, has Craig ever worked?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Has he ever had a job?  Besides the fictitious role that gets paychecks from Smurf's property mgmt business, and the occasional job that is masterminded by either Smurf or Baz (where he is typically the muscle), and his brief most recent stint as a waiter on the high seas, has Craig ever worked?

Hey, he knows his way around power tools!

• Love 3
On 8/24/2017 at 7:48 AM, lazylou said:

I wonder how the crooked banker will contrive to deposit Pope's money.  

I'm just waiting for him to pick up a bundle of the cash and set off the dye marker that Pope missed.  Downhill from there.

• Love 1

One little nitpicky thing that always sounds out of place to me is when Nikki or J says anything about school -- they're late for class or have a test or have to study or anything. I immediately think "why do they even bother?".  Those two are the furthest thing from dedicated students, in my opinion; I'm sure they'd rather be hanging out or learning the business.  I can only guess Smurf laid down rules for that.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2017 at 11:11 AM, Chick2Chic said:

Lucy trying to play J amused me. She needs to stick to narcissists and idiots more susceptible to her games.

Yes, not only is he portrayed as book smart on the show you know he has been through so much shit growing up he is the naive kid she thinks he is. Finn shows subtle facial gestures that emote a lot.

On 8/23/2017 at 1:11 PM, iMonrey said:

Wow. I have no idea where this is going but it's hard to believe it can keep going without someone dying. I'm starting to get the feeling that Pope is going to kill himself after he makes sure Lena is financially secure. 

I hope he is actually setting it up to either run with Lena or send her somewhere safe to grow up.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:48 AM, lazylou said:

I fear you may be right about Pope.  But Hatosy has turned in such a great performance the past two seasons, I hate to see him go.

I hope Shawn does not commit suicide or get killed. Because he has been amazing, this episode he was great. Aside from the whole he is a murderer thing, he is one of my favorites along with J.

I do love the brotherly love between Deeran and Craig. Messed up they mightve, but they care for one another. On a side note I want Deerans hair, oh hell I would just like him please!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, patty1h said:

One little nitpicky thing that always sounds out of place to me is when Nikki or J says anything about school -- they're late for class or have a test or have to study or anything. I immediately think "why do they even bother?".  Those two are the furthest thing from dedicated students, in my opinion; I'm sure they'd rather be hanging out or learning the business.  I can only guess Smurf laid down rules for that.

On the other hand J was talking of going to take the AP Chemistry exam, if my memory serves which puts him on a different level than Nikki having to show up to avoid a public servant asking for her. I remember my last semester of high school, I had already met the graduation requirements and had acceptance letters from two universities. I showed up for physics and hung around the band room because they were fun. I don't remember my final GPA taking a hit but that may have been because my father was a brother teacher and he died right before that last semester. I am seeing a lot of my final attendance in J's actions

• Love 2

We don't see much of J doing homework any more.  As a former teacher, I am hoping the show just has more important things to depict.  He told Smurf he was doing just enough to pass...but if he is actually taking AP Physics, doing enough to pass would involve doing quite a bit.  I am not sure he actually had a test at all the day he went to see Smurf at the jail...and I noticed Lucy "tested" Nicki by asking about he chemistry..."or was it physics" test.  Nicki recovered well from her flub...she is good at lies.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 7:17 PM, iMonrey said:

Yes I caught that too. In fact I read somewhere just recently that the "crossing wires to start a car" trope is total B.S. that only happens in the movies - today's cars don't work that way.

LOL can you imagine Craig in college? Yeah, me neither. He'd pull a gun on his teacher for getting a bad grade.

Even assuming Craig could clean himself up enough and get off the coke, what kind of legit work could he go into? He could buy a business like Deran did but what would he have the wherewithal to run? He seems to understand mechanics well enough to disable the yacht. Or maybe he could just buy himself some kind of party boat and run something like that. That would be right up his alley.

He seems to like cars and motorbikes and stuff.  Why not buy a garage?   Deran and Craig small business owners.  

• Love 1

One little nitpicky thing that always sounds out of place to me is when Nikki or J says anything about school -- they're late for class or have a test or have to study or anything. I immediately think "why do they even bother?".  Those two are the furthest thing from dedicated students, in my opinion; I'm sure they'd rather be hanging out or learning the business.

I don't know how realistic it is - maybe there are high schools that are just that crappy but in my day you couldn't just come and go as you pleased. If you missed roll call for a single class they called your parents. And if you didn't have an excuse you either got detention or suspension. I don't know what kind of school J and Nikki go to if they just let the students show up for a class here and there whenever they feel like it. 

On 8/26/2017 at 9:49 PM, patty1h said:

Schools do vary...my older siblings went to a high school where they could come and go...during their senior year my sisters went for 2 classes tops.  My high school was totally different.

I also remember people who didn't seem to pay attention in Chemistry (this is where meth dealers come from) or Physics but would ace the test...I think J is one of those guys.  Nikki isn't one of those people.

J also seems to be smart enough to realize he will one day need a HS diploma, maybe in a sentencing hearing?

• Love 1
On 8/29/2017 at 9:56 AM, iMonrey said:

I don't know how realistic it is - maybe there are high schools that are just that crappy but in my day you couldn't just come and go as you pleased. If you missed roll call for a single class they called your parents. And if you didn't have an excuse you either got detention or suspension. I don't know what kind of school J and Nikki go to if they just let the students show up for a class here and there whenever they feel like it. 

I went to high school where the show takes place. When I turned 18, I could call myself out which I did sparingly, under the ruse of a "college interview" or whatever official sounding excuse I came up with.

Also, we had surf PE as an option. That really pisses off guys like Deran and Craig who don't work in the mornings and have a shit ton of amateurs hogging the waves just to get out of running the mile. And when I went there at least, all the schools in the area were over populated. The administration encouraged off-campus programs like taking a course at community college or work study. I think my last semester I only went to school for yearbook but I shaved 24 credits off of university. 

• Love 2