Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

Past Seasons Talk: From Seattle Grace to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I have a new pet peeve, and I didn't see a pet peeve thread, so I'll post this here.  It originates with Season 12...

Harriet was born in the season finale of Season 12.  In 2016.  The girl that Jackson was holding in the episode earlier this season (fall of 2020) should be 4 and a half years old.  She looked 2, at the most.  They seem to have properly aged the other kids, but forgotten about Harriet.

On this show, you never know what year it is. COVID has been the closest to bringing up with current 2020 and the moved to the summer of 2020. The rate they are going, I could see them going: "It's not 2021 and there are three vaccines now, so time to move to less masks."

3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I have a new pet peeve, and I didn't see a pet peeve thread, so I'll post this here.  It originates with Season 12...

Harriet was born in the season finale of Season 12.  In 2016.  The girl that Jackson was holding in the episode earlier this season (fall of 2020) should be 4 and a half years old.  She looked 2, at the most.  They seem to have properly aged the other kids, but forgotten about Harriet.

On this show, you never know what year it is. COVID has been the closest to bringing up with current 2020 and the moved to the summer of 2020. The rate they are going, I could see them going: "It's now 2021 and there are three vaccines now, so time to move to less masks."

Share this post


Link to post

I've finished my rewatch of all previous seasons...  This really is a good show.  It used to be much better, but it's still pretty good.  I think I zoned out a lot last season and missed a good bit, so it was nice to pick up what I missed.  I like Deluca, and I like him and Meredith together - but I also don't mind Hayes now.  So whichever path the show wants to take, I would be ok with that.

One thing I still don't really get - the show wants to blame a lot of Amelia's erratic behavior on her tumor, right?  And they were basically hoping to give her a personality reset?  Well, she still does a lot of impulsive things and makes a lot of rash decisions.  So blaming the tumor doesn't really work, IMO.  They need to give that up.

Share this post


Link to post

OK, for some reason I started rewatching again from the beginning (when it was really good!) and I'm up to season 6 again...  I have a real pet peeve, which I think I've always had:

How did Meredith and Derek just give their wedding to Izzy and Alex?  Forget the fact that they would need a marriage license and the other paperwork, what always bothered me is that those pairs of people are not even remotely the same size.  There is no way that Meredith's dress would fit Izzy (and vice versa for Izzy's bridesmaid's dress on Meredith), nor would Derek's tux fit Alex.  Yet... there they were.  Ugh.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

OK, for some reason I started rewatching again from the beginning (when it was really good!) and I'm up to season 6 again...  I have a real pet peeve, which I think I've always had:

How did Meredith and Derek just give their wedding to Izzy and Alex?  Forget the fact that they would need a marriage license and the other paperwork, what always bothered me is that those pairs of people are not even remotely the same size.  There is no way that Meredith's dress would fit Izzy (and vice versa for Izzy's bridesmaid's dress on Meredith), nor would Derek's tux fit Alex.  Yet... there they were.  Ugh.

That's the magic of clothes on TV, they always become the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. The anvils flying about the switch before it happened were pretty huge and then a few episodes later Izzie was gone for good. But they did actually make a big deal about Meredith finding a good dress for her personally, even though it was still huge and white.

At least in Katherine Heigl's 27 Dresses she made sure to tell a bride "thank goodness we're the same size!" (Why do I remember that?). But KH and EP are completely different shapes and sizes.

I remember there was discussion that maybe the church wedding wasn't actually legal and they filled the paperwork later at the hospital with emergency applications because everyone assumed Izzie was about to die. They were certainly legal the next season when Alex got dumped with Izzie's medical bills after she'd run off to Chehalis and divorce papers. 

But it's not like Shonda ever cared about things like this. With the infamous post it MerDer originally wanted to be legal and go to City Hall and had no qualms about that. They did the post it vows because they were busy that day. Then decided that was it, with no on screen discussion about deciding they didn't want/need the government involved and not using their marriage licence or what would happen if one of them was in the million disasters and accidents that frequently befell SGMD and how sorting out wills and next of kin without a wedding would be more time consuming. 

That is until they needed to adopt Zola and the show wanted to contrast the difference between the straight couple doing a quicky, unromantic legal marriage with the judge vs Calzona's big white wedding with their friends. With no actual discussion of why LGBT people were fighting for marriage equality in the first place. That it was because of the legality and rights it came with and no discussion of Calzona signing a domestic partnership or needing to spend time and money with a lawyer, so it fell a little flat for me. I have a lot of pet peeves about various wedding/marriage/divorce stuff on this show. 

I've been watching S5 and S6 recently too. With a lot of EPs filmed ahead scenes you can tell they aren't exactly connected to the episode as they're pretty vague about what's going on besides the general MW storyline and a couple of specifics like Derek's big spinal tumour ep.  

Edited by Featherhat
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Featherhat said:

That's the magic of clothes on TV, they always become the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. The anvils flying about the switch before it happened were pretty huge and then a few episodes later Izzie was gone for good. But they did actually make a big deal about Meredith finding a good dress for her personally, even though it was still huge and white.

Personally, I thought the dress was ugly, and it definitely didn't look like Meredith's style at all.  

Most of the other stuff I just handwave, because it's a fictional show after all.  I'm not familiar with the laws of the state of Washington at the time, or if the show even exists in the "real world" such that the actual laws of the state would apply to these characters.  But something tangible like clothes is obvious to me.  

It just really bugs me that it magically fit perfectly!  No mention of alterations, or even time to make them... silly nit pick, I know, but it bothers me. 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Personally, I thought the dress was ugly, and it definitely didn't look like Meredith's style at all.  

Most of the other stuff I just handwave, because it's a fictional show after all.  I'm not familiar with the laws of the state of Washington at the time, or if the show even exists in the "real world" such that the actual laws of the state would apply to these characters.  But something tangible like clothes is obvious to me.  

It just really bugs me that it magically fit perfectly!  No mention of alterations, or even time to make them... silly nit pick, I know, but it bothers me. 😂

I didn't really like the dress but they made a point to say that Mer found the right dress for her after a day of grumpily trying them on. The rest of the time they barely pretended it wasn't going to be Izzie's wedding.

I get the nitpicking, it's just that they didn't care at all about the practicalities of any of it including the obvious size difference in actresses which had even been brought up on the show itself before. 

It's a minor miracle that they actually mentioned Alex's family not being at the wedding due to the switcheroo when his brother came to town. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size