Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

Past Seasons Talk: From Seattle Grace to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

They're rerunning the first episodes on Lifetime again, and I watch them and realize that I loved every character in the early seasons.    Then, they ruined it with George and Izzie cheating on Callie, and rubbing her face in it.      Nothing will ever equal Cristina showing up at the hospital on her wedding day to Burke, with hair curlers, no eyebrows, and needing to do surgery.   I think my favorite episode of all time is when Bailey is having her baby, and George goes in to talk to her, and support her through her delivery, and Bailey telling him to stop looking at her vajayjay (or however it's spelled).      And the prom for Webber's niece was so heartbreaking with Denny dying, and Alex showing the real person inside his tough, ruthless outside.     And everyone helping ALex with his repeat intern exam was hysterical.   

However, I hate that Izzie and George humiliated Callie like that, and were treated like it was OK.     I can't believe I liked Mark and Lexie so much before they killed them off too.   

I think the reason Ellis took Meredith with her after the divorce is she thought Richard would come back to her, and be mad if she dumped her daughter.     And if Thatcher cared about Meredith at all, I'm sure Ellis wanted to humiliate and hurt him even more.         I never gave Thatcher any credit as the helpless dad in Meredith's case.    His first wife was a total ruler of the his universe, the second wife was the boss of that relationship too, and when both were gone he went back to drinking, ignoring Meredith except when he wanted her liver, and found another woman to boss him around.    The only person who reached out for a relationship with Meredith was the second wife, and if had been left to Thatcher that wouldn't have happened.    I'm assuming that he'll come back on the show sometime, but I wish he would just die off screen, and never be mentioned again.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

So im watching the seasons over again and im on season four episode 7. The recap at the start shows meredith finding alex and lexie together for the first time and all recaps show that lexie went home with alex in epsiode 6. I watched that whole episode and meredith didnt find them together in the hall. It only shows the end when lexie wanted to go out with alex and he said all he would be able to give her is sex. Im confused as to when he took her home and meredith found them in the hallway, it didnt seem to happen in episode 6 because i watched the whole thing. when did this happen? maybe the link i found online is a bad link and they cut that part out?

everytime I hear jackson talking about doing a complicated procedure, I keep thinking about how Mark Sloan running surgical circles around him, I like Jackson but in my mind he will never be as good a surgeon as Mark

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, skermac said:

everytime I hear jackson talking about doing a complicated procedure, I keep thinking about how Mark Sloan running surgical circles around him, I like Jackson but in my mind he will never be as good a surgeon as Mark

It’s difficult to see him as prestigious as mark when they never really show us his journey as a doctor. I swear all of a sudden he’s listing his credentials and I’m like “when did all that happen?” 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I've been watching Season 1 and 2 episodes over the past couple of weeks, and it's so interesting to see how the characters have developed and changed. That may be one of my favorite things about this show; most of the characters evolve and change while their core personality remains intact.

I would never have expected S1 and 2 Alex ("O'Malley punches like my sister") to become the caring, sweet guy he is in S15. 

And man oh man, Izzie was a judgmental btch. I thought I basically liked her character, but I can't stand watching most of her early scenes. "You're not good enough for me, Alex. You're not good enough for anybody," And she was just horrible to Callie.

Watching Cristina evolve from hardcore surgical robot to caring physician with great bedside manner is also fascinating.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Artymouse said:

And man oh man, Izzie was a judgmental btch. I thought I basically liked her character, but I can't stand watching most of her early scenes. "You're not good enough for me, Alex. You're not good enough for anybody," And she was just horrible to Callie.

Yes to this. On rewatch I’ve no idea why I ever shipped her with Alex. She was AWFUL to him. Always thought she was better than him. She was a bully to Callie. Ugh. She was 100 percent the worst. 

People may have their issues with Jo but at least for the most part she does actually like Alex and consider him her equal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Yes to this. On rewatch I’ve no idea why I ever shipped her with Alex. She was AWFUL to him. Always thought she was better than him. She was a bully to Callie. Ugh. She was 100 percent the worst. 

People may have their issues with Jo but at least for the most part she does actually like Alex and consider him her equal. 

Let’s keep things in context though, back then Alex was horrible. He tries to shame her for being a lingerie model and he cheats on her with a nurse on top of the time he was verbally an ass to her. 

Alex grew but it’s not like he didn’t deserve some of the treatment he got back then. 

• Like 3

Agreed as far as seasons one and two go but I’m basing my judgement on seasons 3,4 and 5.

Alex grew but I don’t think she ever let go of the feeling that she was better then him (and everyone else except George it would seem).

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 8:28 AM, Chas411 said:

Agreed as far as seasons one and two go but I’m basing my judgement on seasons 3,4 and 5.

Alex grew but I don’t think she ever let go of the feeling that she was better then him (and everyone else except George it would seem).

It's true that Alex was an ass in S1 and much of S2, but Izzie was consistently awful to him, culminating in leaving him (without even talking to him about it) when she thought he got her fired, post Mercy West-merge. She was rude to Denny's dad ("I don't understand how a father could ABANDON his son!"), and when George had locked himself in the bathroom trying to figure out if he had syphilis, she just assumed he was whacking off. She mocked him and just would not let it go. Rewatching it, I wanted to smack her. It's just hard to believe, on rewatch, that I ever liked her as a character. Besides which, Heigl is not a super-great actress in the really emotional scenes. When she is screaming and crying at Denny to let her cut his LVAD wire, Heigl's acting is just distractingly bad.

• Like 3

I’m rewatching and it’s sort of amazing how some of the characters have changed over the years.  I’m in the early episodes of season 10 when Maggie comes on the scene. It’s funny how she seemed almost mature and above the nonsense in the beginning compared with the silly gossip she turns into by season 15. 

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I’m also watching early seasons of ER. Even with the technology of the 90’s as opposed to the slick nature of Grey’s, I’m just amazed with what a superior show ER is, especially in the beginning.  Tighter stories, better acting, more realism and doctors that aren’t constantly screaming what astoundingly great medical gods they are.  I cannot tell you how much that annoys me.  

• Like 5

16 hours ago, limecoke said:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I’m also watching early seasons of ER. Even with the technology of the 90’s as opposed to the slick nature of Grey’s, I’m just amazed with what a superior show ER is, especially in the beginning.  Tighter stories, better acting, more realism and doctors that aren’t constantly screaming what astoundingly great medical gods they are.  I cannot tell you how much that annoys me.  

Which is very ironic, be cause in it's final few seasons, ER had gone over to less tighter stories and ones that dragged on. It was at one point why Grey's and House became popular medical shows. They moved to more interpersonal relationships and dealing with under handness and people being more fallible. The problem was, both ER and House even with ratings knew to call it quits as the writing had gotten to a point of no return. Grey's moved that point about 4 years ago, and yet here they still are. Compared to the first 8 years when the show was in it's prime. 

• Like 3

Which is exactly why I specified “early seasons.”  All tv shows go stale eventually.  The Brits figured this out ages ago and their better TV shows always leave you wanting more.  Grey’s went past it’s sell-by years ago.   

Rewatching is interesting.  I haven’t changed my dislike of Meredith (she’s insufferable), but some of the other characters seemed more tolerable and showed some growth.  I always regret that Grey’s lost Burke and George.  They were both really complex.  It’s a shame that whole thing happened.

• Like 4