Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: From Seattle Grace to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

• Start Topic

I was completely on Christina's side in the Christina/Owen relationship.  Christina told Owen she did not want children.  She never changed her mind about that.  Not only did Owen continue to blame their problems on Christina having an abortion and them not having children, he also cheated on Christina, and when they were in therapy he kept bringing up Christina not wanting children like it was something he didn't know when they got married.  I wish Christina was still on the show, but I was glad she divorced Owen.

• Love 8

They may not have discussed it seriously, but I'm almost positive the conversation I mentioned earlier took place before they were married. And I think Cristina came out of that thinking "I've made my feelings known, so that's that," and Owen came out of it assuming that she would "grow out" of those feelings, so they didn't need to discuss it. They both bear some responsibility for not recognizing that as something that absolutely needed to be hashed out more before they got married, but I am slightly more on the side of the one who was fully straightforward than the one who just assumed that the other would change their mind.

Definitely not his fault with the Amelia situation, though, aside from whatever responsibility he bears for getting into that mess of a relationship in the first place.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, flickers said:

I'm no Owen fan, but he and Cristina didn't discuss having children before they got married. And Amelia changed her mind on him after saying she wanted five. It's not all on him.

Cristina and Owen did discuss it though. Season 6 Episode 19. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, Layne said:

Cristina and Owen did discuss it though. Season 6 Episode 19. 

Christina and Owen discussed it a couple of times after they got married as well.  So Owen was well aware that Christina did not want children.  As much as I disliked Owen, I hated Burke more.  His getting all angry and annoyed about Christina trying to concentrate and study for her exam, and not paying as much attention to their wedding plans, when originally Burke agreed they wouldn't have a big wedding, was horrible.  They had agreed to a small ceremony at the courthouse, Burke changed it, had both their mothers come to town, and then acted like Christina was the bad guy.  How dare Christina be ambitious and want to be the best surgeon possible.  That's okay for Burke and Derek, but not Christina.  I really hated Burke and his mother.

• Love 2

I didn't hate him, per se, but I didn't like him for Cristina. It never felt quite right to me, and then Mama Burke showed up and explained that Burke needed a wife who would support him in the background, rather than one who would strive to be great on her own merits. If that was what she thought he needed, rather than what he thought he did, that would be one thing. But he pretty much went along with that as soon as Mama showed up, and what we learned about his eventual marriage certainly bears that out. And that makes him not necessarily a terrible person (if you're super ambitious and striving for greatness, there's something to be said for having a partner who will have your back and hold down the fort at home), but definitely a terrible partner for someone like Cristina.

• Love 1

I watched every episode on Netflix and am rewaching them now, I'm really missing Lexi, she was my biggest crush. Its hard to rewatch her episodes because I know what happens in the end. I thought her and mark were a great couple. 

Edited by skermac
  • Love 2

I've been doing a re watch over the past few months and just watched the plane crash.  For me, the show died when Lexie died.  Not that Lexie was my favorite character, but everything after this season in my opinion is pretty much crap.  So much so that I've decided to stop pvr'ing after this season because I'm no longer invested.  It makes me sad.

• Love 5

I’ve been rewatching some episodes and during one of the storm episodes Webber is talking about his white coat ceremony and how both his parents were there in a voiceover. And I thought wow that’s impressive since his mother died when he was 10. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
25 minutes ago, emcmac87 said:

I’ve been rewatching some episodes and during one of the storm episodes Webber is talking about his white coat ceremony and how both his parents were there in a voiceover. And I thought wow that’s impressive since his mother died when he was 10. 

HAHAHA 

Grey's is weak when it comes to continuity. It's like after season 10 they just threw it all out the window and started writing for plot and not for the characters. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 5
On 3/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, emcmac87 said:

Wasn't his father a dead-beat as well? I believe his mother was struggling not only with her health, but raising three young children in a poor neighborhood in Chicago.

When I need background noise I'll often just put on an old random episode to half-watch. Yesterday it was S04E05 and one of my favorite moments of all 14 seasons is when Meredith and Richard wash her mother's ashes down one of the scrub room sinks outside an OR. It was just such a lovely, understated moment and very true to their character's and Ellis'. It made me miss the old seasons so much because you just knew the characters so much better and they had real interactions and real relationships. It seems now that everything is just flinging random new doctors at each other hoping for a romance to stick.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, kinnej5 said:

Wasn't his father a dead-beat as well? I believe his mother was struggling not only with her health, but raising three young children in a poor neighborhood in Chicago.

I think that his father was in the military, but I could be wrong.

(edited)

So, I was flipping channels early yesterday am (really early, like 5am) and found that one of the Lifetime networks is showing the show from the start-I saw one of the first few episodes-wow are they young looking and it is amazing how much they let Alex grow from evil spawn to decent human being. And George was really useless-someone still referred to him as 007. And Bailey was still a force of nature, not to be reckoned with.

Edited to add that I saw the season 1 finale this am and a few things were clear-

1. Burke and XTina had no chemistry-zero, none, nada

2. Meredith and  Derrick had incredible chemistry

3. Alex's growth is  remarkable and

4. Addison was stunning and her entrance was one of the best ever. 

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 3

So another stupid rewatch complaint, but was watching the season 3 episode when Thatcher and his wife come to dinner and the beginning of the Gizzie yuck. But I thought it was funny, the fuse box blows, they are using candles for light etc. Derek goes to check on Thatch in the laundry room, which is clearly off the kitchen since it’s shown in the background. And it’s windows are bright and daylight. All of these rooms are on the same level but somehow one is in sunlight? Lol. Production fail. 

• Love 1

At least on Grey's they don't have patients relatives in the ER treatment areas, and running through the observation room the way they do on ER.     However, who goes to a crowded waiting room, and tells the family that their relative has died?     After the plane crash that only had the little girl survivor, at least they did that right taking relatives aside to tell them the worst news.    

I hate how all you have to do is ask someone where a patient is, and they haul you to their bedside.   I'm watching the rerun of Back Where You Belong, where the estranged son and ex-wife of the abusive man have to tell him to leave, after helpful Jo shows him to the room.      I guess they don't monitor visitors on TV, but I hope real hospitals do.    And if I see one more scene of Arizona locking lips with Minnick, and later with De Luca's sister (I hope I have the right character names), I will be a happy person. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 7/2/2014 at 10:59 PM, choclatechip45 said:

I've always wondered the real reason behind Chyler leaving. She was pretty much known to be a show killer before Grey's so it seemed strange she wanted off after 5 seasons.

I like the way the show handled Pompeo's pregnancy. I really enjoyed I Saw What I Saw, Arizona-centric episode and Derrick's tumor episode. I would not mind if they character-centric episode. I guess they did that with the Callie episode this past season, it's too bad they decided to retcon Callie/Arizona's past.

She had the proverbial ceiling come down on her with her kids health .

Within a short space of time 2 of her kids were diagnosed with Aspergers and her youngest began having regular grand mal seizures - she was hospitalized 18 times over a 2 year period according to Chyler at Clexicon.

So she took nearly 3 years off and moved to Nashville (she did a few months in NY doing Taxi Brooklyn for Luc Besson at the end of it ) before moving back west to do Supergirl

Currently doing a re-watch because I found a podcast that was doing it from the start and this week is 4.01 with Meredith and her missing arm ,Mark telling McDoushy that he moved to Seattle for him and Izzie and the fucking deer (also had some great guest stars like Frank from Hart of Dixie as the guy with Pica and Mark Pellegrino for once not playing a super creep guy)

Edited by Humbugged
  • Love 2
On 9/5/2018 at 12:35 PM, JNM5505 said:

l o l I disagree about Chyler being a show killer.

But since that post was from four years ago, I'm not going to argue.

What does "show killer" even mean? Good or bad thing?

No clue. I didn't even know she was in any other show (besides 7th Heaven) before Grey's Anatomy! I know after she left 7th Heaven–which, by the way, she made tolerable with her junkie character–she focused on rehab and starting a family. I thought Grey's was her first on-screen appearance since Not Another Teen Movie in 2002. *shrugs*

Well, then, I guess for the bible thumping, anti-pot and booze, conservative fans of 7th Heaven, she is a show killer. /shiftyeyes

Unless she's got something else in her credits. Whatever. I don't care. I actually liked Lexie Grey and that other character she played.

Edited by JNM5505
  • Love 1

Chyler had a few shows that got cancelled mid-run of their first seasons: That 80s Show, Girls Club, Reunion. I think they all happened one right after another, so that’s how the Show Killer rep got started.

Yeah, show-killer to me means they added a new character mid-series and then it gets cancelled soon afterwards. Fans typically speculate that the show was good until that actor was added.

Edited by JNM5505

Currently watching the season 10 episode where the institute the non fraternization policy because of Leah’s complaint. It’s pretty stupid since they already had the whole “panty police” episode forever ago. And I feel like the new “rule” barely lasted the season before being forgotten. 

But since I’ve watched the few episodes before, I’m kind of surprised that the complaint gained merit and Callie was investigated. Leah drilled through the table before Callie knew about her and Arizona, and tried to talk her through fixing her mistake. She asked Arizona to do something and that’s when Callie figured it out. How did that compromise her education? I hate that they had Callie admit that “of course she was right” to Arizona because....how?  That set up was a mess. 

• Love 3

Nurse Olivia was a recurring character for the first few seasons and had a storyline where she was sleeping with both Alex and George and gave them both syphilis and involved with a couple of other stories. Nurse Rose dated Derek in S4 when he wand Mer were broken up and she was ready to Commit. She would likely have stayed longer if the writers strike hadn't intervened.

So, I'm watching season 9 for the first time (just starting episode 13 as of this post). I skipped out on Greys halfway through season 8 and only picked the show back up regularly around the end of season 13. So, besides vaguely reading up on what was going on during the missing years, it's all still very fresh and new. 

I know these interns aren't as great as Team MAGIC, and we only had Lexie as a regular for the next set of new interns, but after having season 14/15 with those interns, I think I appreciate Jo and her crew more. It definitely does help with going back to watch for the first time, since I have the knowledge about what happens to each of these interns so I can better prepare. 

I missed out on the majority of the Stephanie years and only really saw her last few episodes, but I do thoroughly enjoy her character in this ninth season. I actually find her to be a great alternative match for Jackson, and she was also a great character on her own. I also really, really like Shane Ross. I don't exactly know what happens to him in later seasons, other than him not being there, so I look forward to seeing his story play out. Leah's a bit character but incredibly frustrating to watch, and I do like Heather, and do know of her fate so I'm prepping myself with not getting attached to her character. 

I think the major thing is that each year, we have the main interns get development and are their own characters. But with the new gen interns of the new seasons, most of them are incredibly 2D and only are there to service the actual main characters. The only one that has gotten any significant development on their own is Casey Parker and they're kind of attempting to develop the other interns now. However, it feels too late to care about any of them. However, once I get to season 14 again, I'll have to thoroughly rewatch that season with fresh eyes, as perhaps my memory is faulty....despite season 14 only being a year ago. 

I don't love the show enough or care enough to memorize significant moments that happened at specific times over the past fifteen seasons, so can someone help me out. When did DeLuca get beaten up? Was it before or after the fire?

8 hours ago, JNM5505 said:

I don't love the show enough or care enough to memorize significant moments that happened at specific times over the past fifteen seasons, so can someone help me out. When did DeLuca get beaten up? Was it before or after the fire?

DeLuca getting beat up was the last episode of season 12/first of 13. It was during the Owen and Amelia wedding. The fire was the last episode of season 13. Hope that helps 

They're rerunning the first episodes on Lifetime again, and I watch them and realize that I loved every character in the early seasons.    Then, they ruined it with George and Izzie cheating on Callie, and rubbing her face in it.      Nothing will ever equal Cristina showing up at the hospital on her wedding day to Burke, with hair curlers, no eyebrows, and needing to do surgery.   I think my favorite episode of all time is when Bailey is having her baby, and George goes in to talk to her, and support her through her delivery, and Bailey telling him to stop looking at her vajayjay (or however it's spelled).      And the prom for Webber's niece was so heartbreaking with Denny dying, and Alex showing the real person inside his tough, ruthless outside.     And everyone helping ALex with his repeat intern exam was hysterical.   

However, I hate that Izzie and George humiliated Callie like that, and were treated like it was OK.     I can't believe I liked Mark and Lexie so much before they killed them off too.   

I think the reason Ellis took Meredith with her after the divorce is she thought Richard would come back to her, and be mad if she dumped her daughter.     And if Thatcher cared about Meredith at all, I'm sure Ellis wanted to humiliate and hurt him even more.         I never gave Thatcher any credit as the helpless dad in Meredith's case.    His first wife was a total ruler of the his universe, the second wife was the boss of that relationship too, and when both were gone he went back to drinking, ignoring Meredith except when he wanted her liver, and found another woman to boss him around.    The only person who reached out for a relationship with Meredith was the second wife, and if had been left to Thatcher that wouldn't have happened.    I'm assuming that he'll come back on the show sometime, but I wish he would just die off screen, and never be mentioned again.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

So im watching the seasons over again and im on season four episode 7. The recap at the start shows meredith finding alex and lexie together for the first time and all recaps show that lexie went home with alex in epsiode 6. I watched that whole episode and meredith didnt find them together in the hall. It only shows the end when lexie wanted to go out with alex and he said all he would be able to give her is sex. Im confused as to when he took her home and meredith found them in the hallway, it didnt seem to happen in episode 6 because i watched the whole thing. when did this happen? maybe the link i found online is a bad link and they cut that part out?

everytime I hear jackson talking about doing a complicated procedure, I keep thinking about how Mark Sloan running surgical circles around him, I like Jackson but in my mind he will never be as good a surgeon as Mark

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, skermac said:

everytime I hear jackson talking about doing a complicated procedure, I keep thinking about how Mark Sloan running surgical circles around him, I like Jackson but in my mind he will never be as good a surgeon as Mark

It’s difficult to see him as prestigious as mark when they never really show us his journey as a doctor. I swear all of a sudden he’s listing his credentials and I’m like “when did all that happen?” 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I've been watching Season 1 and 2 episodes over the past couple of weeks, and it's so interesting to see how the characters have developed and changed. That may be one of my favorite things about this show; most of the characters evolve and change while their core personality remains intact.

I would never have expected S1 and 2 Alex ("O'Malley punches like my sister") to become the caring, sweet guy he is in S15. 

And man oh man, Izzie was a judgmental btch. I thought I basically liked her character, but I can't stand watching most of her early scenes. "You're not good enough for me, Alex. You're not good enough for anybody," And she was just horrible to Callie.

Watching Cristina evolve from hardcore surgical robot to caring physician with great bedside manner is also fascinating.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Artymouse said:

And man oh man, Izzie was a judgmental btch. I thought I basically liked her character, but I can't stand watching most of her early scenes. "You're not good enough for me, Alex. You're not good enough for anybody," And she was just horrible to Callie.

Yes to this. On rewatch I’ve no idea why I ever shipped her with Alex. She was AWFUL to him. Always thought she was better than him. She was a bully to Callie. Ugh. She was 100 percent the worst. 

People may have their issues with Jo but at least for the most part she does actually like Alex and consider him her equal. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Yes to this. On rewatch I’ve no idea why I ever shipped her with Alex. She was AWFUL to him. Always thought she was better than him. She was a bully to Callie. Ugh. She was 100 percent the worst. 

People may have their issues with Jo but at least for the most part she does actually like Alex and consider him her equal. 

Let’s keep things in context though, back then Alex was horrible. He tries to shame her for being a lingerie model and he cheats on her with a nurse on top of the time he was verbally an ass to her. 

Alex grew but it’s not like he didn’t deserve some of the treatment he got back then. 

• Love 5

Agreed as far as seasons one and two go but I’m basing my judgement on seasons 3,4 and 5.

Alex grew but I don’t think she ever let go of the feeling that she was better then him (and everyone else except George it would seem).

• Love 1
On 5/4/2019 at 8:28 AM, Chas411 said:

Agreed as far as seasons one and two go but I’m basing my judgement on seasons 3,4 and 5.

Alex grew but I don’t think she ever let go of the feeling that she was better then him (and everyone else except George it would seem).

It's true that Alex was an ass in S1 and much of S2, but Izzie was consistently awful to him, culminating in leaving him (without even talking to him about it) when she thought he got her fired, post Mercy West-merge. She was rude to Denny's dad ("I don't understand how a father could ABANDON his son!"), and when George had locked himself in the bathroom trying to figure out if he had syphilis, she just assumed he was whacking off. She mocked him and just would not let it go. Rewatching it, I wanted to smack her. It's just hard to believe, on rewatch, that I ever liked her as a character. Besides which, Heigl is not a super-great actress in the really emotional scenes. When she is screaming and crying at Denny to let her cut his LVAD wire, Heigl's acting is just distractingly bad.

• Love 3