Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: From Seattle Grace to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I always find it amusing that Lifetime stops the reruns when Christina leaves and starts at the beginning. 

Because they can acknowledge the true end of the show (where it should have ended)

• Love 6

Your essay reminded me of the absurd amount of medical personnel this show killed off. Okay, there was no other good way to get Patrick Dempsey off the show and it's not out of the ordinary for grown up peoples' parents to die but geez, most of the people I work with just move on, they don't drop dead outside the cafeteria.

• Love 3

The issue with Derek's death is that it was poorly written. Yes, dramatically it made sense to kill him because there was no way he was going to leave his wife and children. However, it wouldn't have killed them to improve the episode. There were so many idiotic plot points, random ass lines, and plot holes that just made me go "WTF?"

• Love 3

I finally made it to season 13, on the episode where the dad drove so fast after being cut off by a crazy driver and Amelia explaining to alex about how she had a baby that was born with no brain, another tearjerker episode, but good news I'm glad dr murphy came back, I liked her character, I need to finish 13 this weekend so I will be ready for 14 when it starts

Edited by skermac
14 hours ago, PepSinger said:

The issue with Derek's death is that it was poorly written. Yes, dramatically it made sense to kill him because there was no way he was going to leave his wife and children. However, it wouldn't have killed them to improve the episode. There were so many idiotic plot points, random ass lines, and plot holes that just made me go "WTF?"

Plus, death by vehicle impact is not exactly a unique death on this show.  George was hit by a bus.  Lexie and Mark were in a plane that hit the ground.  Callie almost died when hit by a truck.  Derek being hit by a truck was just same old, same old.

• Love 3

does Jo Wilson ever say what her real name is? I just watched the episode where she told Alex it wasn't her real name the day before he goes to court. I heard it tell that to DeLuca also, the night alex beat him up, I guess to me she will always be Jo Wilson, I like her a lot, but she should have been more open to Alex all along

4 hours ago, skermac said:

does Jo Wilson ever say what her real name is? I just watched the episode where she told Alex it wasn't her real name the day before he goes to court. I heard it tell that to DeLuca also, the night alex beat him up, I guess to me she will always be Jo Wilson, I like her a lot, but she should have been more open to Alex all along

She never told him but somehow Alex apparently found out that her name is Brooke.  In keeping with most of her backstory and their relationship, it happened offscreen and we are just supposed to make up the details in our head.  I go back and forth on her not telling Alex.  I believe that if she couldn't commit all the way then she should have either told the truth (even if she didn't give every detail) as soon as he started talking marriage or broken up with him.  On the other hand, he did beat DeLuca up in anger and when she did tell him, he ran straight to Meredith and told her and then tracked down the husband.  So her instincts were pretty spot on.  But in reality, I can't be TOO mad at her because it is 1000% obvious to me that the writers pulled this "twist" out of their collective asses somewhere in the middle of season 12 and after they wrote episodes which completely contradict the story.  So in reality, Jo never mentioned her husband to Alex because she just found out she was married along with the rest of like us, some 3-4 seasons after her arrival.

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, Deanie87 said:

She never told him but somehow Alex apparently found out that her name is Brooke.  In keeping with most of her backstory and their relationship, it happened offscreen and we are just supposed to make up the details in our head.  I go back and forth on her not telling Alex.  I believe that if she couldn't commit all the way then she should have either told the truth (even if she didn't give every detail) as soon as he started talking marriage or broken up with him.  On the other hand, he did beat DeLuca up in anger and when she did tell him, he ran straight to Meredith and told her and then tracked down the husband.  So her instincts were pretty spot on.  But in reality, I can't be TOO mad at her because it is 1000% obvious to me that the writers pulled this "twist" out of their collective asses somewhere in the middle of season 12 and after they wrote episodes which completely contradict the story.  So in reality, Jo never mentioned her husband to Alex because she just found out she was married along with the rest of like us, some 3-4 seasons after her arrival.

honestly a good explanation, thanks

• Love 1

I honestly don't care that they killed Derek honestly. I was never hugely attached to him or MerDer. But, it's mainly because that's kind of how he had to go. Not the same manner but he's not going to just leave.

The one that is in no way justifiable is George. I know I have a blind spot with him that some may have with others but there was literally no reason to write him out like that. He could have just went where he was planning on going. They literally ran a bus over him. For what, having to deal with all the Isaiah drama and wanting to leave because nobody was writing for him? Fucking Heigl got a softer send off. 

• Love 6

I'm really surprised that they didn't kill Izzy off screen by now. The actress is definitely not coming back and given the aggressive cancer that the character was dealing with, it would make a lot of sense for someone to contact Alex or Meredith and tell them that she had died.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I honestly don't care that they killed Derek honestly. I was never hugely attached to him or MerDer. But, it's mainly because that's kind of how he had to go. Not the same manner but he's not going to just leave.

The one that is in no way justifiable is George. I know I have a blind spot with him that some may have with others but there was literally no reason to write him out like that. He could have just went where he was planning on going. They literally ran a bus over him. For what, having to deal with all the Isaiah drama and wanting to leave because nobody was writing for him? Fucking Heigl got a softer send off. 

I totally agree with you, its unforgivable to me how they sent off George, that was the saddest episode for me, they should have had him go off to the army. I don't know how Shonda has so much power over ABC that they let her do whatever she wants. I will use NCIS as an example hugely popular, the creater Donald Bellasario (sp) was fired from his own show, I'm surprised Shonda hasn't been fired but I guess those in charge like what shes doing. 

• Love 2

It's not quite the same situation. Bellisario got canned because it was about to be a mutiny on the set of NCIS due to the very long hours and constant script rewriting. Apparently things have been much more chill over there ever since. Shonda on the other hand apparently runs tight ships on her sets to begin with and keeps churning out hit after hit. ABC has no reason to fire her just because of one storyline that wasn't popular with part of the audience.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I'm really surprised that they didn't kill Izzy off screen by now. The actress is definitely not coming back and given the aggressive cancer that the character was dealing with, it would make a lot of sense for someone to contact Alex or Meredith and tell them that she had died.

I've always thought they kept Izzy alive so that they can bring back Heigl for a surprise sweeps or finale appearance. If they can bring back Burke, they can bring back Izzy, especially if they decide not to go with Alex and Meredith or Jo. She could easily come back towards the end of the series with a kid in tow and give Alex a happy ending to his story. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Except that I think Alex deserves soooo much better after seeing him get support from his relationship with Jo. All we ever heard with Alex/Izzie was that he didn't deserve her. 

Alex absolutely did not deserve Izzy. He did not deserve her derision, her drama and her overall inability to see past the end of our own nose. And that was before she got sick. Alex might be rough around the edges and have his own issues but he's ultimately a good, loyal, kind and supportive person. Aside from the whole beating up DeLuca thing which I'm not touching with a ten-foot pole.

• Love 8

I did a huge rewatch over my week off from work. Right into season 3 right now. Random thoughts

Season 2 was too damn long. Nearly 30 episodes. I thought the season was never going to end.

Goddam I love George. He had great connections with everyone.

I forgot how much I loved the George/Burke bromance.

Izzie is already annoying as fuck by the end of season 2. Being overpossesive with George, rude to Callie and the Denny bullshit. I hate rushed romances on tv shows. I will never believe what they were trying to sell me.

I hate the whole George Callie thing early on. Because again they tried to jumpstart a relationship real fast. Then, George rightfully isn't all in because it's early but he's the ass for not saying I love you weeks in.

Derek is so fucking punchable. His constant stalking and smirking everytime she is around Meredith. Man, you are at work sir. Do your fucking job. Especially after he chose Addison. And had to audacity to call Meredith a whore after the George thing. Fuck him.

I don't see how Christina is anyway dateable for most people. I couldn't handle a day with her.

I hate hate Bailey almost saying the whole Denny incident was her. Fuck that. No it was not. Izzie being handled with Kid gloves infuriates me.

Seeing the awesome Meredith George Izzie friendship compared to our new one with Meredith Maggie and Amelia just makes me sad. The Grey house used to be so much fun.

Three veronica mars alums in season 2 here. Tessa Thompson, Teddy Dunn and Sydney Potier.

• Love 2

I just saw an episode that takes place just as Mercy West and Seattle Grace are merging. The staff members are not blending well at all and at one point, Alex lunges at Jackson in an attempt to take a swing at him.

The more the current season tries to convince me Karev would never hurt a fly, the more previous seasons expose this for the lie it is.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

I just saw an episode that takes place just as Mercy West and Seattle Grace are merging. The staff members are not blending well at all and at one point, Alex lunges at Jackson in an attempt to take a swing at him.

The more the current season tries to convince me Karev would never hurt a fly, the more previous seasons expose this for the lie it is.

Alex does have a temper he needs to work on, but he is a good guy, he can come across as bad, but in the end he always does the right thing

• Love 1
Just now, Chas411 said:

What intern did Jo hit?

My memory is fuzzy but it was early on. Like they were roommates? Or had slept together or something. But she lost it on him for something. I think Alex pulled her off? I also think that perhaps he wanted to hit him because Alex thought dude had tried to hurt Jo. But in reality he hadn't done anything. Someone help. Maybe he wasn't an intern at all? 

Not that this excuses Alex at all. I would love to see Alex in therapy or anger management to deal with his demons. 

I'm still annoyed that everyone celebrated Maggie slapping a patient and she never received any consequences. 

Jo was involved with "Chest Peckwell," a OBGYN resident who hit her, she shoved him into a fireplace, and he had a subdue all hematoma. 

Yes, Alex hit George during a camping trip, Jackson hit first during their altercation, Alex has also been threatening towards patient family members. A storyline where they actual put him in therapy for aggression and anger issues and also examined his relationship with his father and men in contrast to his relationships with women would have been awesome. 

The "Chest Peckwell" thing was interesting because it was a he said, she said situation that the show never cleared up.  He said they were arguing and he grabbed her arm, she freaked out on him. She said he grabbed her and she freaked out (flashing back to her DV) and whaled on him.  In the end he ended up in the hospital with a brain bleed and asked for the cops because he wanted to press charges.

But, infuriatingly (and what kinda made him more sympathetic to me than her) when the guy was in the hospital all bruised and beaten, Alex strong armed him and shamed him into not pressing charges claiming he didn't want to be the guy who was known as having been beaten up by a girl.  And that he should never hit a woman (which it was never established that he even did)  and if a woman hit him he should just take it or walk away. 

I 100% agree that nobody should be beating on anyone, man or woman.  But I don't agree that a man doesn't have the right defend himself against assault just because the assaulter is a woman.  I mean, reverse that and tell a woman that if she is being beaten that he should just "take it or walk away."

Derek witnessed the little speech and was disgusted with Alex and said it was shameful what he just did.

• Love 5
On 10/19/2017 at 10:11 PM, DearEvette said:

The "Chest Peckwell" thing was interesting because it was a he said, she said situation that the show never cleared up.  He said they were arguing and he grabbed her arm, she freaked out on him. She said he grabbed her and she freaked out (flashing back to her DV) and whaled on him.  In the end he ended up in the hospital with a brain bleed and asked for the cops because he wanted to press charges.

But, infuriatingly (and what kinda made him more sympathetic to me than her) when the guy was in the hospital all bruised and beaten, Alex strong armed him and shamed him into not pressing charges claiming he didn't want to be the guy who was known as having been beaten up by a girl.  And that he should never hit a woman (which it was never established that he even did)  and if a woman hit him he should just take it or walk away. 

I 100% agree that nobody should be beating on anyone, man or woman.  But I don't agree that a man doesn't have the right defend himself against assault just because the assaulter is a woman.  I mean, reverse that and tell a woman that if she is being beaten that he should just "take it or walk away."

Derek witnessed the little speech and was disgusted with Alex and said it was shameful what he just did.

Ugh, yes! The resolution to that whole storyline bugged me to no end and its the first thing that put me off of Jo and Jo/Alex together.

• Love 2

My friend is watching for the first time and I caught an episode of season 10 with her. It was the one where Callie is getting sued... and Jo testifies for her. So, how was she so scared of court in season 13? Huge plot hole.

• Love 3
On 20/10/2017 at 0:09 PM, Pinecone said:

Jo was involved with "Chest Peckwell," a OBGYN resident who hit her, she shoved him into a fireplace, and he had a subdue all hematoma. 

Yes, Alex hit George during a camping trip, Jackson hit first during their altercation, Alex has also been threatening towards patient family members. A storyline where they actual put him in therapy for aggression and anger issues and also examined his relationship with his father and men in contrast to his relationships with women would have been awesome. 

I totally agree with this. I would I loved to get therapy/anger management scenes and plotline for Alex because just like Meredith, he has a shit ton of baggage and issues but the writers dropped the ball and missed the opportunity.  To be frank, I didn’t care about his RL with Jo after theDeLuca beating, they should have dropped the whole jail stuff, tone down the beating and use it as a way to explore the character but no, instead we had The Sisters!!!! Drama and it left us with the sense that Alex didn’t face any consequence and that everything was forgotten. Really bad writing and missed chance at an interesting storyline 

• Love 1
On 10/19/2017 at 10:11 PM, DearEvette said:

But, infuriatingly (and what kinda made him more sympathetic to me than her) when the guy was in the hospital all bruised and beaten, Alex strong armed him and shamed him into not pressing charges claiming he didn't want to be the guy who was known as having been beaten up by a girl. 

To me that dialogue makes supposed-healer Alex sound like "fixer" Olivia Pope on Shonda's Scandal, then at its height. As if "first, do not harm" = "handle the harm." The protagonist's tactic of wielding miscreants' own prejudices -- sexism, racism, homophobia -- against them, by threatening to expose how they were bested by one of those people they despise. "You don't want it to come out that you're the (winner) who got shown up by a (loser)...", said with bravado and an eye for an invisible viewer's applause. 

Upon rewatch, I've now just entered the gizzie zone.

Look I'm going to be honest. I never despised the notion of George and Izzie being together. I'm never precious about friends falling love on TV shows. It happens in real life, I've always dreamed of falling in love with by best friend and I think that show should have arrived least explored it with all the closeness between them in my opinion.

But, come the fuck on.

1. I had forget how soon this happens after George and Callie got married. It makes both of them look awful.

2. I despise cheating in general.

3. Izzie has been awful to Callie the whole run so putting this on top of it makes her look next level awful.

4. Then, George tries to bury it. In this hospital? Come on. 

The set up and execution is next level bad and hurt major characters going forward. 

Something else I've noticed is how fucked the Meredith/Izzie/George friendship is by season 3. Above all else they had this great threesome friendship that just drifts away. I miss it. Its also marks the beginning of ramping up the Christina/Meredith you are my person crap that drives me nuts. Friendship is great. I love that they have each other's back but they become almost obsessed with each other. Their husbands always seemed secondary to each other and I don't think that's how it should work. They don't need to lose each other but damn.

• Love 6

I was actually less bothered by the initial Gizzie hookup than by the subsequent attempt to make them an actual thing. As @racj82 says, it's hardly unheard-of for friends to develop other feelings (especially when one of them is still grieving his dad and starting to regret the hasty, ill-advised marriage that arose from that), and a drunken hookup is definitely believable.

But the two of them really didn't have anything even vaguely resembling chemistry, so everything after that was just painfully awkward. Which I guess could also happen in real life following the initial hookup, but it was just so unpleasant to watch. The small saving grace is that it does at least seem like the writers knew, if not from the beginning, then very quickly, that it was not going to work, and gave it a mercifully swift end.

I don't pay a lot of attention to whatever fandom exists around this show, but it almost makes me wonder if there was clamouring from avid Gizzie shippers, and the writers decided to humour them for just long enough to show everyone why they were not doing this.

• Love 4

I loved George and Izzie and I think the writers could have made it work with them but who knows they are gone for good sadly. I kept hoping George would come back and his death was only a dream, but it was a pipe dream on my part,  just another reason I am still anti shonda

On 10/22/2017 at 4:46 PM, Racj82 said:

Something else I've noticed is how fucked the Meredith/Izzie/George friendship is by season 3. Above all else they had this great threesome friendship that just drifts away. I miss it. Its also marks the beginning of ramping up the Christina/Meredith you are my person crap that drives me nuts. Friendship is great. I love that they have each other's back but they become almost obsessed with each other. Their husbands always seemed secondary to each other and I don't think that's how it should work. They don't need to lose each other but damn.

Oh my god thank you! Some one that finally agrees with me about Mer and Cristina! Everyone always goes so crazy over their friendship but after like season 5/6 it just became unhealthy! I felt bad for Derek and Owen because the girls always seemed to put their friendship before their respective relationships and it started to get so tired. I think it was in season 8 when Cristina finally told Meredith that Owen was her person too, I cheered. Like finally someone has some sense! You can have a best friend but sometimes you have to prioritize your husband/family first!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, only1shoe said:

Oh my god thank you! Some one that finally agrees with me about Mer and Cristina! Everyone always goes so crazy over their friendship but after like season 5/6 it just became unhealthy! I felt bad for Derek and Owen because the girls always seemed to put their friendship before their respective relationships and it started to get so tired. I think it was in season 8 when Cristina finally told Meredith that Owen was her person too, I cheered. Like finally someone has some sense! You can have a best friend but sometimes you have to prioritize your husband/family first!

Ehhh, my girls came loooooong before my husband and they will be there with me if he leaves, too. I agree that (Mer especially) they didn’t exactly prioritize properly, but life doesn’t have to consist of a hierarchy. My best friends are more important to me than my husband in certain ways, and he’s more important in others. The idea that marriage and kids automatically means other people in your life lose importance or priority doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, jabbi said:

Ehhh, my girls came loooooong before my husband and they will be there with me if he leaves, too. I agree that (Mer especially) they didn’t exactly prioritize properly, but life doesn’t have to consist of a hierarchy. My best friends are more important to me than my husband in certain ways, and he’s more important in others. The idea that marriage and kids automatically means other people in your life lose importance or priority doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. 

As I said before, no one is saying that one should lose those friendship bonds. But, in marriage, the hope would be that the person you run to first, the one you support more than anyone else is the person you also pledged to love and support for the rest your life. Yes, yes your true friends will always be there but there be a certain shift when marriage enters the picture. Making life decisions where your spouses thoughts and feelings are secondary to your best friend is just not the way I think a healthy marriage should work. 

I would always hope that my wife also has her own circle, goes out and has a good time without me, etc. But some things should change imo. Plus, if my thought process was my friends will be there before and after my spouse that I plan to spend the rest of my life with, that's not marriage to me.

• Love 2
On 10/26/2017 at 11:32 AM, jabbi said:

I'm not saying one should always take precedence over the other, but that's kind of my point. It seemed like Mer and Cristina's friendship was always thought of as more important in their lives and that's gotta make their spouses feel shitty. Owen brought it up in his and Cristina's marriage counselling sessions that he felt like second place to Mer, and I totally understood and agreed with what he was saying. That was when Cristina finally got some sense and told Mer that Owen needs to come first in her life sometimes!

But I agree that Meredith was way worse for it. One time that really ticked me off was after the plane crash when Derek injured his hand and couldn't operate and his best friend (Mark) had just died, Mer decides to go get on a plane and visit Cristina in Minnesota because she "might be lonely". That's just crazy!!

19 hours ago, Racj82 said:

As I said before, no one is saying that one should lose those friendship bonds. But, in marriage, the hope would be that the person you run to first, the one you support more than anyone else is the person you also pledged to love and support for the rest your life. Yes, yes your true friends will always be there but there be a certain shift when marriage enters the picture. Making life decisions where your spouses thoughts and feelings are secondary to your best friend is just not the way I think a healthy marriage should work. 

Yes! Another example of this was the whole abortion thing. Cristina confided in Meredith about not wanting to be a mother way more than she did with Owen. All those conversations she had with Mer she should have been having with Owen, instead of just yelling no at him every time it came up. Then Meredith is the one to tell Owen that Cristina needed him to go with her to the abortion, that should be a private matter between husband and wife. The best friend's feelings shouldn't be involved.

3 minutes ago, only1shoe said:

I'm not saying one should always take precedence over the other, but that's kind of my point. It seemed like Mer and Cristina's friendship was always thought of as more important in their lives and that's gotta make their spouses feel shitty. Owen brought it up in his and Cristina's marriage counselling sessions that he felt like second place to Mer, and I totally understood and agreed with what he was saying. That was when Cristina finally got some sense and told Mer that Owen needs to come first in her life sometimes!

But I agree that Meredith was way worse for it. One time that really ticked me off was after the plane crash when Derek injured his hand and couldn't operate and his best friend (Mark) had just died, Mer decides to go get on a plane and visit Cristina in Minnesota because she "might be lonely". That's just crazy!!

Yeah, that's what I've been talking about. It's the fact that it gets really egregious later on. 

Another gut punch scene for me I just came across. After George fails his intern exam. When Bailey asks if she failed him as a teacher and he says no I failed you and she gasps while grabbing his hand.

Ugh. That was rough to watch again. 

• Love 2
On 10/24/2017 at 9:16 AM, Qoass said:

Watching the Lifetime reruns, I am reminded of how much I miss Joe the bartender and his super-hot husband.

I miss Joe, and his husband, and the bar! It was such a great setting for interactions between characters.

• Love 3
On 10/27/2017 at 4:35 PM, only1shoe said:

Yes! Another example of this was the whole abortion thing. Cristina confided in Meredith about not wanting to be a mother way more than she did with Owen. All those conversations she had with Mer she should have been having with Owen, instead of just yelling no at him every time it came up. Then Meredith is the one to tell Owen that Cristina needed him to go with her to the abortion, that should be a private matter between husband and wife. The best friend's feelings shouldn't be involved.

Because he kept telling her he wanted kids and forcing the issue. She didn’t make it a secret at any point in their marriage that she did not want kids. The commentary around this one bugs the shit out of me because a woman can do, say, feel, and act however she wants surrounding a pregnancy and pregnancy termination. Perhaps she confided in Mer because Owen has always been a self-absorbed prick and runs over people’s feelings like a freight train. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, jabbi said:

Because he kept telling her he wanted kids and forcing the issue. She didn’t make it a secret at any point in their marriage that she did not want kids. The commentary around this one bugs the shit out of me because a woman can do, say, feel, and act however she wants surrounding a pregnancy and pregnancy termination. Perhaps she confided in Mer because Owen has always been a self-absorbed prick and runs over people’s feelings like a freight train. 

The episode where they’re all at a party, and Owen yells “You Killed Our Baby” still makes me cringe to this day.

• Love 7
On 11/1/2017 at 10:35 AM, jabbi said:

I really loved Owen and Cristina for a long time. But on a rewatch, I located the exact point when it (specifically, he) started to go downhill. I couldn't tell you what season or episode, but it's, I guess, the first time she has told him that she doesn't want kids. He's surprised, which, fine, but almost the first thing he says in response is that that was a childish opinion that she would grow out of. I don't know how that slid past me the first time, but on that rewatch, it was like everything just ground to a screeching halt. They were on borrowed time from that moment.

• Love 5
On 1/5/2018 at 11:11 AM, kingshearte said:

I really loved Owen and Cristina for a long time. But on a rewatch, I located the exact point when it (specifically, he) started to go downhill. I couldn't tell you what season or episode, but it's, I guess, the first time she has told him that she doesn't want kids. He's surprised, which, fine, but almost the first thing he says in response is that that was a childish opinion that she would grow out of. I don't know how that slid past me the first time, but on that rewatch, it was like everything just ground to a screeching halt. They were on borrowed time from that moment.

Coming out of lurk mode to say:

This 1000 times. I loved Meredith and Cristina's relationship because they always had each other's backs.

Owen dismissed Cristina's feeling/opinions as Derek did to Meredith.

Mere and Cristina were best friends because -- yes-- they were soulmates. Their souls were cut from the same cloth.  I miss that.

• Love 3