Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Season 43: Speculation and more!

• Start Topic

Now that season 43 is roughly half-over, what are everyone's favorite sketches (both live and pre-taped)?  Not sure if this should be its own thread, so I'm posting mine here for now:

1.  Papyrus (Ryan Gosling)

2. Climate Change (Kumail Nanjiani)

3. Whiskers R We (Tiffany Haddish)

4. Sports Announcer (Chance the Rapper)

5. American Girl Store (Saoirse Ronan)

6. The Naomi Show (Gal Gadot)

7. Floribama Shore (Saoirse Ronan)

8. Customer Service (Kumail Nanjiani)

9. E! New Line Up (Gal Gadot)

10. Fresh Takes (Larry David)

On 12/11/2017 at 10:39 PM, vb68 said:

I'm also thinking the February 3rd date would be good for Chadwick Boseman, with Black Panther coming.

Or Michael B Jordan.

Also, when does Wrinkle in Time come out? Mindy Kaling finally has something big to promote, they should have her host. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BoogieBurns said:

Also, when does Wrinkle in Time come out? Mindy Kaling finally has something big to promote, they should have her host. 

I'm hoping Zach Galifianakis hosts in March for this (as a combo, promoting the new season of "Baskets" too). Would make his fourth time hosting. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I don't know who he is. Like, he just doesn't stick when I see him. I still hope it's a good show.

He's one of those "Hey, it's that guy!"  He has a long list of credits, but he does indeed disappear into his characters.

Edited by vb68

I just went through Sam Rockwell's IMDb and I don't think I've seen a single thing he's been in (I do want to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri though so hopefully that will change!). But as always I hope for a good show. Actually, I find I tend to enjoy shows with hosts I'm unfamiliar with because I have no expectations. I'd never heard of Tiffany Haddish before she hosted and now I'm in love with her.

The Ocean's 8 trailer came out yesterday and it would be awesome if we could get one of those ladies for one of the last shows of the season. Could we maybe, finally, get Sandra Bullock? But really, I'd be cool with any of them (especially Mindy Kaling and Sarah Paulson).

Saw a review of I. Tonya and they raved about Allison Janey's performance and I realized that she has never hosted. She would be awesome

Or they could have Steve Martin-he has a show on Broadway right now staring Amy Schumer and it closes Jan 21. Maybe Amy or Keegan Michael-Key could help out.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 1
On 12/19/2017 at 0:53 PM, vb68 said:

I'm thrilled about Sam Rockwell. He's been on my list for awhile.

I have high hopes for him. He doesn't do comedy often, but when he does, he's great - he really held his own in Galaxy Quest, he did a really good job when he was on Drunk History, and I've always found him very charming in interviews.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, vb68 said:

Any guesses for March?  I can't think of any off the top off my head.

John Boyega because his Pacific Rim movie comes out in March, and he seems like an enthusiastic, good-natured guy who might be game to host (plus he just had a big holiday with Star Wars).  Jennifer Lawrence has a movie coming out in March that has been all over my YouTube ads this week (Red Sparrow), and hasn’t it been awhile since she hosted?  That’s all I’ve got.

• Love 1

I never would had called Charles Barkley again.  I guess they really like him, but I've never found him to be that good at hosting, especially in his last few episodes. Very meh.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
On 2/4/2018 at 11:16 AM, vb68 said:

I never would had called Charles Barkley again.  I guess they really like him, but I've never found him to be that good at hosting, especially in his last few episodes. Very meh.

Other than The Rock (who kind of straddles the athlete/actor line), does that mean Charles Barkley is the athlete who has hosted the most? That's...strange.

I keep wondering why they've never snagged Shaun White to host after the Winter Olympics. The guy has charisma for days and could do a pretty good job.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, vb68 said:

I am really disappointed over this choice. I don't know if I will even watch.

• Love 1

ITA. If they had to choose a basketball player, they could have just asked LeBron again.

In light of Black Panther mania, picking Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan or Lupita Nyong'o  to host would have made much more sense.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
On 2/5/2018 at 3:38 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I keep wondering why they've never snagged Shaun White to host after the Winter Olympics.

Well, this obviously needs to happen now!  Kinda like how they had Michael Phelps host.

• Love 1
On 2/13/2018 at 4:14 PM, DollEyes said:

ITA. If they had to choose a basketball player, they could have just asked LeBron again.

In light of Black Panther mania, picking Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan or Lupita Nyong'o  to host would have made much more sense.

Just saw Black Panther last night (everybody see it, it's incredible!) and I'd like to throw Letitia Wright in for consideration as well. She's by no means the biggest "name" in the movie but that girl is a star on the rise and so hilarious!

• Love 2

Well, I got a bit overly excited when Shaun won his last Gold Medal. ;) Don't think that's gonna happen. And I wasn't aware of the harassment charges that turned up ,a day or so later. So no thanks.

• Love 1

With Chadwick Boseman hosting in April (a month late, but hey I'll take it), I'm thinking Ryan Reynolds has to be very likely for one of the final spots in May promoting Deadpool 2. It would be funny if "Deadpool" was the host. Maybe somebody from the Han Solo movie too. Would be so cool if it was Donald Glover.

No idea who gets the other April slot. Nobody is jumping out at me.

11 hours ago, vb68 said:

No idea who gets the other April slot. Nobody is jumping out at me.

There has been a lot of shuffling around of movie release dates lately. The Avengers movie is now coming out on April 27th, so conceivably they could have someone from Infinity War host the April 14th episode (Then again, maybe Chadwick Boseman IS their host from Infinity War!)

There's also Amy Schumer's "I Feel Pretty" coming out on Apr. 20th. She's not the big star she was fresh off the success of "Trainwreck", but she seemed to have a good time the first time she hosted.

12 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

(Then again, maybe Chadwick Boseman IS their host from Infinity War!)

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming. I don't think they would have two people from the same movie back to back.

On 3/22/2018 at 7:22 PM, ajsnaves said:

How many episodes do we have left? 4 or 5?

How about somebody from Westworld?  Evan Rachael Wood or Thandie Newton would be fun.

Or Jeffrey Wright.

• Love 2

Tracy Morgan's scheduled on Fallon's show Monday night to promote his new TBS series "The Last O.G.", which premieres Tuesday the 3rd.

I wonder if he will just make a cameo on next week's episode, or if he might conceivably host the Apr. 14th episode to promote his new show.

That's a great guess and catch.  They seem to be on an alumni streak lately with Will Ferrell and Bill Hader hosting, so I agree Tracy would be a strong possibility.

Again Yay for Donald Glover (and Childish Gambino).

I'm still going to predict Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool 2 in May, but goodness you'd think they would want to get another female host in there before the season is over, too. 

• Love 2

I'm predicting Anne Hathaway for May 12th (the Mother's Day episode usually seems to be a female host) and either Melissa McCarthy or Maya Rudolph for the season finale.  

Edited by Phishbulb

With the season officially over, what were everyone’s favorites?  Or most hated moments? (Live sketch, pretaped sketch, musical guest, cast member, host, anything?)

I really liked that “Bank Breakers” game show sketch with Kumail, Cecily, Mikey and others.  Jackets and Jeans, baby!  I just love how it gets worse and worse for Kumail’s character as the sketch goes on.  “Big tobacco gets the steal!” still makes me chuckle.  When talking game shows, though, it’s hard to overlook Karen’s bland-ass potato salad.  And Lobster Les Mis which for copyright reasons I guess they call Diner Lobster is just so, so hilarious to me.  I saw John Mulaney on Seth Meyers talking about how Seth had vetoed the sketch in 2010, and you could tell that Seth was still really not a fan of it!

My favorite Weekend Update guest appearance was Pete Davidson talking about Staten Island.  “That’s a death threat!  In a newspaper!”  Honorable mention to the return of Stefon, though.

Lots and lots of good pretaped sketches this year.  I could never pick just one, but James Madison High Graduation and Nike Women are some recent favs.

The season was pretty good overall, and almost every episode had 2-3 sketches that I really, really enjoyed, which I think is a good batting average overall.

• Love 2
On 5/20/2018 at 2:27 PM, Peace 47 said:

With the season officially over, what were everyone’s favorites?

I'm a sucker for the pre-taped bits. This season I am going to be suuuuper predictable and say my favorites were "Come Back Barack" and "Friendos" plus the one where Chris Redd was the superhero sidekick.

Of the live sketches, I liked Family Feud when Sterling K Brown was Common and Donald Glover as Lando. Girlfriend of a boxer (going to my sistahs house), Don Jr and I'M ERIC are my favorite recurring characters. I particularly loved when I'M ERIC was eating his Halloween candy wrong or when he called himself Derek. 

MVFP - Chris Redd. I never want to know SNL without him (until he leaves on his own good terms). Alex Moffat is a close second.

MVP - Strangely, I think this was Kenan's strongest season. He's usually middle of the pack and consistent. This season he was in all of my favorite non-Update bits!

• Love 2