Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Season 43: Speculation and more!

• Start Topic

Well, we saw Bill Hader last week-- I'd like to see him take another run at hosting.  IIRC, his first stint was fairly lukewarm and it was one of the lowest-rated episodes ever (or just of that season?)

I'm a huge fan of People of Earth and it would be cool to see Wyatt Cenac, Anna Gasteyer, or Nasim Pedrad host.

For a huge longshot, I'd like to see Jermaine Fowler, formerly of Friends of the People and currently of Superior Donuts.

• Love 2

I'm told this is the schedule for the Fall's episodes--

September 30th (Premiere)
October 7
October 14

November 4
November 11
November 18

December 2
December 9
December 16

-- What interests me is that there are usually 10 episodes  in the fall, so if they still do 21 eps the season, there will be 12 in the back half in the spring. Since February is out due to the Olympics, I'm guessing three each for January, March, April, and May?  That will be better that than last couple of years.

Gal Gadot is a great guess for the premiere host. I agree.  She either hosts then or shortly thereafter.  With Will & Grace coming back, one of them might host, maybe Debra Messing or Sean Hayes. Still waiting on Milo V or Sterling K Brown as well from This Is Us.

Hope we get some cast news soon.  I think we would have heard by now if Pete was leaving. I think he's sticking around.  Without Bobby and Vanessa, I suspect they want to keep the other regular contributors to Update.  I hope they find a couple of new and diverse players to add to the roster too. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

My host suggestions:

Viola Davis, because as great as she is at drama, I would love to see her funny side. Besides, if ABC can let Kerry Washington host an episode & FOX can let Taraji P. Henson host , then I think Viola can host. 

Hugh Jackman, who, for some strange reason, hasn't hosted since 2000 (IIRC) & with The Greatest Showman coming out in December, it would be a great time for him to host again.

Chance the Rapper, who upstaged host Casey Affleck last year when the latter hosted.

Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan or Lupita Nyong'o, which would be great publicity for Black Panther, which comes out in February.

Tiffany Haddish from Girls' Trip could be awesome.

It would be great to see either Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac or John Boyega host before The Last Jedi's release, also in December. 

Idris Elba, to fill the "hot British actor hosting" quota. 

Either Former President  Barack or Former First Lady Michelle Obama. If Sen. John McCain & former Vice President Al Gore can host, then so can Barack or Michelle, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5
On 8/17/2017 at 1:35 AM, vb68 said:

I'm told this is the schedule for the Fall's episodes--

September 30th (Premiere)
October 7
October 14

November 4
November 11
November 18

December 2
December 9
December 16

-- What interests me is that there are usually 10 episodes  in the fall, so if they still do 21 eps the season, there will be 12 in the back half in the spring. Since February is out due to the Olympics, I'm guessing three each for January, March, April, and May?  That will be better that than last couple of years.

The last time the Winter Olympics occurred (in 2014) , they did have one episode in February. So there probably will be three episodes each in 3 of those other 4 months and then one month where there's only 2 episodes I bet.

Since we already know the season premiere is Ryan Gosling/Jay-Z, I'm going to guess the second episode might be Gal Gadot/Arcade Fire. The October 14th episode (which will be the Halloween episode)- I think it's likely the MG might be Miley Cyrus, since she's been a MG every 2 years for the last 6 years (2011, 2013, 2015) and hosted twice. I hope she doesn't host/MG again, but Lorne really seems to like her (she appeared on the 40th anniversary show too). 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

Anyone else surprised we have had no new cast announcements yet? Could they be going forward without anybody new?

Likewise.  Normally they would announce new hires in late August.  Going to be hard to replace Bobby and to some extent Vanessa.  (Sadly I had to rack my brain to remember that Sasheer is also gone.)  

1 hour ago, Trini said:

So with Gal Gadot hosting, which other Justice League cast member is most likely to show up? Jason Momoa? I can't remember if Affleck has been on the show before.

Affleck has definitely hosted several times and I think shown up in cameos as well. He's very good at it, IMO.

• Love 2

Ben is actually a 5-Timer (who got j***** on the celebration).  And there's one more reason he might be available for any cameo they want --he's dating one of the producers.  Just saying. I think they just went public for the first time this past weekend at the Emmys.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4

There's speculation on Reddit that Chris Redd has been hired for the cast. We had these same rumors last year, and they didn't turn out to be true, so we will see.

I'm shocked more didn't leak out from 30 Rock today. It was the official first day.

I don't think we even know if Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider are back as Head Writers.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I think it's because someone from the cast has been hanging out with Chris Redd a lot lately. Cecily, maybe? Idk, I follow them all on Instagram so it's hard to keep track. (Just checked, yes, it is Cecily.)

I really do think that if there were any new cast members, or any other cast departures, we would have heard by now.

• Love 2
On 9/16/2017 at 0:06 AM, vb68 said:

Yeah I wasn't sure what exactly it is signalling. If we didn't already know Gosling was hosting the premiere, I would think that's what it was suppose to be suggesting.

He has a book of short fiction coming out October 17th so maybe it's for that?

Your new hires!

http://deadline.com/2017/09/saturday-night-live-heidi-gardner-luke-null-chris-redd-new-cast-members-season-43-writers-1202173665/

• Love 2

Any guesses for the November hosts?

Assuming Gadot was their representative for Justice League, I'm guessing there won't be another person from that movie. I'm curious if Chris Hemsworth gets a third episode. I think they all liked him, and he's worked with both Kate and Leslie on a movie. Alternatively, I could see Tom Hiddleston getting the call this time. I guess Cate Blanchett  is another possibility. As much as I would enjoy that, it's probably unlikely, though.

I think Taylor Swift's full CD comes out in November. I'm sure they would love for her to host again and all the hype she brings.   

Isn't Daddy's Home 2 out for Thanksgiving? If so, Will Ferrell is a definite possibility.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I noticed that SNL's Twitter account followed Josh Gad recently. He had some complimentary things to say about last week's episode on Twitter, particularly the cold open and Update, so it may just be because of that. But he's also in "Murder on the Orient Express" which comes out November 10th. Plus he's comedic, good with singing and dancing, etc;  I think he'd be a pretty good host.

I am guessing with all the news coming out about Ben Affleck today (plus his rough personal life in general as of late) he will probably not be hosting this season to promote Justice League. A shame because he's always been an enjoyable host in the past. 

I had the same thoughts as you about Hemsworth; it would seem strange to have Wonder Woman and Thor host so closely to one another. And I fear if Hiddleston were to host he'd be kind of a dud as a host in the same way Benedict Cumberbatch was.

Will Ferrell would be a good choice to host the Thanksgiving episode. Taylor's CD comes out November 10th but I wonder if with all the press she will be doing for it whether she would be able to devote a whole week to hosting SNL. She will most likely be performing at the American Music Awards which are held on November 19th. 

One last good choice for November would be Kristen Bell, who has two things to promote: the new "Bad Moms Christmas" movie and also The Good Place which of course would be good promotion for an NBC show.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2017 at 6:39 PM, vb68 said:

Any guesses for the November hosts?

Assuming Gadot was their representative for Justice League, I'm guessing there won't be another person from that movie. I'm curious if Chris Hemsworth gets a third episode. I think they all liked him, and he's worked with both Kate and Leslie on a movie. Alternatively, I could see Tom Hiddleston getting the call this time. I guess Cate Blanchett  is another possibility. As much as I would enjoy that, it's probably unlikely, though.

I think Taylor Swift's full CD comes out in November. I'm sure they would love for her to host again and all the hype she brings.   

Isn't Daddy's Home 2 out for Thanksgiving? If so, Will Ferrell is a definite possibility.

Close, she's not hosting this time only as the musical guest. 

The lineup for November,

November 4: Larry David, Miley Cyrus

November 11: Tiffany Haddish, Taylor Swift

November 18: Chance the Rapper, Eminem

• Love 1

Ooh Tiffany Haddish.  That's a welcome but surprising choice.  She's hilarious but I do wonder how she'll do in sketch since, even when she's acting,  there's something very Tiffany about her.

For those who don't know her, she stole Girls Trip this summer, was in The Carmichael Show and is in Tracy Morgan's new show. I wouldn't have pegged her as big enough to host but I guess with Taylor as the musical guest, they feel they can get away with it.

• Love 3

Interesting lineup. I don't know anything about Tiffany Haddish either. I didn't see  Girls Trip.  I knew they liked Chance a lot, and his short "Jingle Barack" for last year's Christmas show was nominated for an Emmy.  I'm totally calling a sequel/followup to that. 

Still it's odd that the musical guests for the next two shows following this week's are bigger names than the hosts.  Taylor and Eminem will more than likely figure into some sketches. Will Eminem preform his single calling out Trump?  

• Love 3

I wasn't aware of Tiffany before Girls Trip (though it turns out I was watching Carmichael on and off before than and it only connected after the movie came out) and she ran away with the movie.  And if you haven't seen her interview with Colbert a few months back, find it.  He was so smitten with her at the end of it! 

And I was so charmed with Chance when he was in sketches last year so I'm happy with this hosting pair!

• Love 1

We will find out who will host the first December show this weekend. I have no idea. This is when they usually try to get some of the potential Oscar nominees.  (For long time viewers like myself we know Gary Oldman, a favorite for Best Actor this year, won't be hosting.*) 

I will say that since Casey Affleck hosted the Christmas show last year, I hope they let an alum do it this year, preferably one we haven't seen in awhile.  Dana Carvey was name checked in the Tiffany Haddish monologue. That would be fine. My dream would be Bill Murray, but I don't think that will happen.

* Gary Oldman was suppose to host sometime around 92/93. He pulled out the Thursday or Friday before the show. Tom Arnold was the last minute host stating that Oldman HATED the show.  I always remember the show because it resulted in that classic Bill Clinton sketch of him running in McDonalds and demonstrating warlords by stealing food. 

Joe Keery

I have to admit I don't know who that is. Oh, Stranger Things. I still need to start that.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

I am actually a bit surprised that with the new Thor movie coming out last week that they didn't try and get Chris Hemsworth to come back and host again. 

I could maybe see James Franco (for the Disaster Artist) or Margot Robbie (for I, Tonya) coming back to host. Could we maybe get Hugh Jackman for The Greatest Showman - or maybe Zac Efron  (who I actually thought was pretty funny when he hosted before) or Zendaya?

• Love 2

I think James Franco's very likely for one of the December shows; in fact he last hosted the show in December of 2014.

For the actual Christmas show, I really don't know. Maybe Anna Kendrick to promote Pitch Perfect 3? She did a really good job the first time she hosted.

• Love 2

I'll add Sam Rockwell, who I've always thought was crazy talented. If Saorise Ronan can host, he can too.

Speaking of Saorise, I'm a bit nervous about that one. Don't get me wrong. She's a fine actress, but I get a Felicity Jones hosting vibe. I hope I'm wrong. 

• Love 1

Here's the schedule for the second half of the season, starting in January--

Jan 13
Jan 20
Jan 27

Feb 3

Mar 3
Mar 10
Mar 17

Apr 7
Apr 14

May 5 
May 12
May 19

I guess it makes sense to have four shows in a row due to the Olympics. And this schedule looks better to me than what we usually get, two shows a month through April, which I always feel hurts the momentum of the show.  One caveat might be that the Trump Administration did float the suggestion this week that we might bypass the Olympics due to safety concerns with North Korea.  I have no idea if they would revamp the schedule in that case. I guess they will deal with that if we cross that bridge.   

12 hours ago, vb68 said:

I guess it makes sense to have four shows in a row due to the Olympics. And this schedule looks better to me than what we usually get, two shows a month through April, which I always feel hurts the momentum of the show.  One caveat might be that the Trump Administration did float the suggestion this week that we might bypass the Olympics due to safety concerns with North Korea.  I have no idea if they would revamp the schedule in that case. I guess they will deal with that if we cross that bridge.   

I know we're all living in the upside down but even in yet another bonkers news week how did I miss this????

If the USA passes on the Olympics NBC is going to have much bigger problems than SNL's schedule. Pretty much all of February would be completely fucked.

13 hours ago, helenamonster said:

If the USA passes on the Olympics NBC is going to have much bigger problems than SNL's schedule. Pretty much all of February would be completely fucked.

They could run a massive marathon of The Apprentice!

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1

I'm trying to think of some potential January hosts, especially since we'll be in the thick of awards season - usually at least one or two potential Oscar nominees makes a stop at SNL. We already got Franco and Saorise, but I'm thinking we could see Armie Hammer (who is surprisingly funny), possibly Jordan Peele, and I'm doubling down on my guess for either Hugh Jackman or Margot Robbie. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I'm trying to think of some potential January hosts,

For the past two years, they have led off January with hosts from the respective Star Wars films in release(Adam Driver, Felicity Jones). So maybe Daisy Ridley or John Boyega this year? As a wild card, I'll even throw Laura Dern out there. She seems to be getting a lot of press for it.

I'm also thinking the February 3rd date would be good for Chadwick Boseman, with Black Panther coming.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I'm trying to think of some potential January hosts, especially since we'll be in the thick of awards season - usually at least one or two potential Oscar nominees makes a stop at SNL. We already got Franco and Saorise, but I'm thinking we could see Armie Hammer (who is surprisingly funny), possibly Jordan Peele, and I'm doubling down on my guess for either Hugh Jackman or Margot Robbie. 

10 hours ago, vb68 said:

For the past two years, they have led off January with hosts from the respective Star Wars films in release(Adam Driver, Felicity Jones). So maybe Daisy Ridley or John Boyega this year? As a wild card, I'll even throw Laura Dern out there. She seems to be getting a lot of press for it.

I'm also thinking the February 3rd date would be good for Chadwick Boseman, with Black Panther coming.

I'd say that either Daisy Ridley or John Boyega for the first show back in January is a really good guess. 

It's odd in that you're right that they usually try to have Golden Globe nominees/Oscar hopefuls host around this time, but a lot of them have either just hosted or have done so fairly recently. Saoirse and Franco have already hosted, and both Margot Robbie and Emma Stone (nominated for "Battle of the Sexes") just hosted last season.

I actually think Tom Hanks would be a good host for the February show (the last show before a month-long break, and their last chance really to have an Oscar nominee host before the Oscars. I would think March 3rd everyone that's going to go there will be busy actually preparing for the Oscars- they take place the following day on the 4th). But Hanks also took a 10-year hiatus between hosting stints- would be quite a jump from not hosting for 10 years to doing in twice in the space of less than a year and a half.)

Somebody like Tom Hanks makes a lot of sense for the February 3rd episode.  The fourth episode in a row is pretty hard on cast and crew.  It is probably easier to have a pro there, rather than a first timer.