Type keyword(s) to search

Siesta Key - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I started watching this show and it's so bad, it's good?  I'm enjoying the heck out of it, even though it's all trash.

It took me at least two episodes to get all the blondes straightened out, especially since (almost) all of them are panting over Alex (whose attraction seems to be his money, since I can't figure out why else so many girls would be after him).

Also, I know this is completely unfair but I kinda hate Madisson because she has the double s in her name.

Also, completely crazy that those other two girls (Chloe? and her not anymore friend?) got in this huge fight and we don't hear anything about possible police involvement or anything...just that the one girl had to have surgery after and the other girl was like "she started it."

• Love 4
6 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

Also, completely crazy that those other two girls (Chloe? and her not anymore friend?) got in this huge fight and we don't hear anything about possible police involvement or anything...just that the one girl had to have surgery after and the other girl was like "she started it."

I don't get this either.  If someone punched you and you broke your nose then why would you not press charges?  Why is everyone else saying it's your fault?  I get that Chloe has issues but that does not warrant being physically attacked.

MTV must be hoping for another Laguna Beach or Jersey Shore?

But supposedly Alex's chiropractor father paid some film crew to make a pilot and tried to sell it to MTV.

Alex got in trouble because one of his friends dragged a shark and caused an uproar.

So he's meant to be the star but he calls Madison his "bow queen" and she forgives him as soon as he apologizes.

I don't think those other shows had figures who might be so douchey until Spencer Pratt showed up.

• Love 2

I like the show because we visit Sarasota every year. It's nice to see the scenery.

I felt bad for Madison not getting a job.

Chloe gets angry very easily. 

Alex will steal Kelsey from poor Garrett. 

Kelsey  wants to eat at the Ritz in SRQ.

She doesn't want crackers on the beach with Garrett

OK, maybe it's that these kids are new at being on camera and they have to improvise lines but they don't come off terribly bright.  Very stilted sentences.  Maybe they could improve but I wouldn't count on it.

Amanda seems like the typical mean girl.  She basically made Chelsea feel guilty and apologetic for making her (Amanda) break her nose.

At first they seemed like underachievers but Madison at least has a math and engineering degree -- or maybe just a math degree.  Of course the way she's a doormat to Alex, any smarts she may have aren't coming to the fore at this stage in her life.

So they're not shy about featuring mostly ass shots of the girls.  I don't recall Laguna Beach or The Hills or even Jersey Shore, which had an older crew, being so high on the T&A quotient.  It would have been icky to do a lot of it with high school girls in LB.

I'm a huge Hills/Laguna Beach fan so I was excited to see MTV making another TV show with a similar theme but I'm having a hard time finding love for any of these characters. Chloe is the exception. She seems endearing to me. Anyone else thinks so? I know she shouldn't but for some reason, I have a soft spot for her. The poor girl gets her nose broken and gets all the flack for running her mouth all while the boy-stealing bitch Amanada gets to basically say, I'm not sure I want to be your friend and you'll have to prove to me that you are good enough? I seriously am scratching my head trying to figure out why any of the friends would be ok with it other than they are all fake and could care less about right and wrong. They just want to party together and don't care who gets hurt or how. That was the thing that worked with Lauren Conrad. You always could tell she was a good person. No one on this show seems like a genuinely good person. I'll probably watch the rest of the season but I would be shocked if this gets a second season. Between the lackluster cast and Alex's extra curricular shark slaying it doesn't seem very promising. Its too bad, because I'd love a Laguna/Hills 2.0

• Love 4

This show is definitely in the "so bad it's good" category for me. 

I also think it's bizarre that everyone seems to blame Chloe for the fight. It does seem like she gets fired up pretty quickly and no doubt that alcohol played a role, but Amanda still punched her and broke her nose! And no discussion at all about how Amanda was all over the guy she knew her supposedly best friend has feelings for? Even if you think it's fine for Amanda to do whatever she wants with Brandon because he and Chloe weren't dating or anything, it still obviously hurt Chloe's feelings.

• Love 4

I was watching thinking this would be really bad, and it is but I kind of enjoy it. I'm such a sucker for shitty reality shows though. The editing was cool to me at first, but now I can do without all the slow mo shots...especially of girls butts. I understand that thong bikinis are the new fad but I'd rather not have the show focus on that. I really like Kelsey and Madisson, they seem to be more close than the show has shown us so far considering their pictures on their instagrams.

13 hours ago, SugarHigh said:

This show is definitely in the "so bad it's good" category for me. 

I also think it's bizarre that everyone seems to blame Chloe for the fight. It does seem like she gets fired up pretty quickly and no doubt that alcohol played a role, but Amanda still punched her and broke her nose! And no discussion at all about how Amanda was all over the guy she knew her supposedly best friend has feelings for? Even if you think it's fine for Amanda to do whatever she wants with Brandon because he and Chloe weren't dating or anything, it still obviously hurt Chloe's feelings.

I wonder why Chloe did not press charges against Amanda?

I didn't see Brandon on the last show.

Alex hooking up with Amanda? I wonder how Juliette will react?

I can't believe that Alex is considering law school. He doesn't seem to be interested in legal issues at all.

I feel bad for Madisson not getting an engineering job. She should apply for an internship.

Garrett & Kelsey are doomed.

It's an enjoyable show to watch. It takes time for the cast to develop.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 1

Why were 2 girls fighting over Sideshow Bob in the first place? And sorry, but Amanda is a butterface. 

I have known so many girls like Madisson to where I just don't get how they land the supposed "hot guy". She's not unattractive, but she just so bland to me...but I don't personally find Alex to be attractive whatsoever. He has pretty eyes, but the rest of him? Ummm. And god I couldn't listen to him speak in that slow "ya brah" style for more than 5 minutes without wanting to rip out my ear drums. Could you imagine him being a lawyer? "Ya duuude. Like, objeeeeeection man." I do enjoy his friendship with Chloe for some reason though. 

Kelsey has a nice body, but something about her face is hard & it surprises me she's a model. Garrett is a human Ken doll who always looks really confused...and I don't get why he needs to protrude his lips out 3 feet in order to kiss his girlfriend. His level of blandness would go well with Madisson. 

Pauly kind of has a duckface like Jo from Teen Mom 2, but he seems like a solid friend to have. 

Juliette is pretty, and could do WAY better than Alex. 

And this is officially the most shallow post I've ever written, but these people don't give me much to work with. 

• Love 6

Yeah they don't say which schools they went to, though Alex wants to go to Stetson law.  Never heard of it, must be a local school so he can live the lifestyle while getting gentleman's Cs and getting a degree.

If Madisson was serious about getting an engineering job, she should have been doing internships and co-op jobs while in school, at least in the summers if not during the last quarter or two, so that a prospective employer has seen her work as an intern.

They make it seem like she's interviewing after graduating.  She should at least have been interviewing on-campus, unless the school she went to doesn't have much pull.  For all we know, she was doing internships but they're making it seem like she's never researched how to get jobs out of college.  Like she was back home in the summers wasting her time with Alex rather than pursuing experience.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

Why were 2 girls fighting over Sideshow Bob in the first place? And sorry, but Amanda is a butterface. 

I have known so many girls like Madisson to where I just don't get how they land the supposed "hot guy". She's not unattractive, but she just so bland to me...but I don't personally find Alex to be attractive whatsoever. He has pretty eyes, but the rest of him? Ummm. And god I couldn't listen to him speak in that slow "ya brah" style for more than 5 minutes without wanting to rip out my ear drums. Could you imagine him being a lawyer? "Ya duuude. Like, objeeeeeection man." I do enjoy his friendship with Chloe for some reason though. 

Kelsey has a nice body, but something about her face is hard & it surprises me she's a model. Garrett is a human Ken doll who always looks really confused...and I don't get why he needs to protrude his lips out 3 feet in order to kiss his girlfriend. His level of blandness would go well with Madisson. 

Pauly kind of has a duckface like Jo from Teen Mom 2, but he seems like a solid friend to have. 

Juliette is pretty, and could do WAY better than Alex. 

And this is officially the most shallow post I've ever written, but these people don't give me much to work with. 

Alex speaks very slowly. Is he trying to memorize his lines.?

I like Pauly Paul. He dropped a bombshell on Chloe. Madisson,Juliette & Kelsey might freak out when they find out about Amanda.

I love Sarasota, so I am enjoying the scenery.

3 hours ago, scrb said:

Yeah they don't say which schools they went to, though Alex wants to go to Stetson law.  Never heard of it, must be a local school so he can live the lifestyle while getting gentleman's Cs and getting a degree.

If Madisson was serious about getting an engineering job, she should have been doing internships and co-op jobs while in school, at least in the summers if not during the last quarter or two, so that a prospective employer has seen her work as an intern.

They make it seem like she's interviewing after graduating.  She should at least have been interviewing on-campus, unless the school she went to doesn't have much pull.  For all we know, she was doing internships but they're making it seem like she's never researched how to get jobs out of college.  Like she was back home in the summers wasting her time with Alex rather than pursuing experience.

Alex went to the University of Tampa. Stetson Law school has a pretty good reputation.

I don't know why Madisson didn't do any co ops during her college years  . That was weird.

• Love 1

Madisson looks like Amanda Bynes to me. I think it's her eyes, they are too close together. 

What is with all these young ladies and their thong bikinis? I can't believe that's a trend, although I should not be surprised since "ass" is in. Except most girls with an actual thick ass would not wear that type of bikini bottom, unless you are a Kardashian.

Kelsey has a nice body, but something about her face is hard & it surprises me she's a model.

I totally agree with all this.  She should be drop dead gorgeous, but something about her face is off and I can't tell what it is.  I think the dark brows are a bit distracting too.   I wish Garrett had more of a personality because he's going to have difficulty keeping Kelsey.  Yes he's very attractive but most women need more than that!  

• Love 2

Complete agreement on the so bad, it's good reviews.

I kinda wish this show wasn't so focused on Alex (I know his father sponsored the pilot so this will never happen).  He really doesn't have a personality (guessing he never needed one due to daddy's money).

It might be interesting if Kelsey was the focus and the show was her exploring this new world.  She could have Chloe on one side showing her the rich kid party scene and Garrett on the other side showing her the more middle class life in the shadows of the mansions. 

Btw, I loved Garrett's 6 month anniversary gift.  It was so sweet.  I'm sure he will eventually find someone who will appreciate that sort of thing.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to guess which Hills personality each of these people are trying to go for.

• Love 2
On 8/16/2017 at 6:34 PM, scrb said:

She should have done internships during school.

Kind of surprised by the rotating narrators. So far a different cast member is narrating each episode. Probably would have been much less complicated to just go with the Laguna love triangle template and have Juliette as the "Kristin" or Maddison as the Lauren type do the voice overs for the whole season. Trouble is neither of those girls are all that likable or entertaining. Chloe is the most watchable even with her anger issues.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, scrb said:

Juliette took the cheating well.  Maybe too well.

It wouldn't be surprising if this drama around all the girls Alex is screwing and screwing over is scripted.

Juliette and Chloe talking about how Garrett must be sexually was colorful.  I Googled jackhammer and starfish and found a local newspaper doing a podcast about the show:

http://www.insidemtvsiestakey.com/2017/08/podcast-episode-6-jackhammer-starfish/

I love this podcast. They know Sarasota well.

That podcast I linked said that the bar where Kelsey works is full of men who come by on their boats.  But most of them are old men.

In fact the community is old in general.  They also said there are a lot of snow birds and that's when galas like the one shown here take place, with tickets typically $400 a person or higher.  Some of the wealthy parties might buy up tables of 16.

So these charity events are usually very lavish, spending hundreds of thousands for the partiy that otherwise might be used for the cause.

But the people on the podcast said there may have been some bump in young people.  It sounds like those who grow up end up leaving the area for jobs elsewhere and maybe to get away from this social scene, which is much older than the kids in the show.

8 hours ago, scrb said:

That podcast I linked said that the bar where Kelsey works is full of men who come by on their boats.  But most of them are old men.

In fact the community is old in general.  They also said there are a lot of snow birds and that's when galas like the one shown here take place, with tickets typically $400 a person or higher.  Some of the wealthy parties might buy up tables of 16.

So these charity events are usually very lavish, spending hundreds of thousands for the partiy that otherwise might be used for the cause.

But the people on the podcast said there may have been some bump in young people.  It sounds like those who grow up end up leaving the area for jobs elsewhere and maybe to get away from this social scene, which is much older than the kids in the show.

Makes sense. The name of the bar-Tiki something-lent to the idea of it being a fun outdoor bar but in the background it looked like older people, not a hip young crowd.

This article cracked me up about how wealthy the cast is -  clearly they got a few things wrong because some of the pictures are on the same place Alex's house with the square pavers in the front yard, not each cast members house. Chloe & her Mom looked like they live in a basic apartment, Kelsey & Madissons houses look very average middle class. Brandon's looked a bit more upscale but not the wealth level of Alex's family. His father's a chiropractor? That level of money can't be coming from that. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bustle.com/p/how-rich-is-the-siesta-key-cast-these-floridians-are-living-large-74917/amp

I'd like to see Kelsey's with less chunky, lighter eyebrows.

Amanda reminds me of LeAnn Rimes.

Edited by noreallywasntme
  • Love 2

Been listening to more of the podcasts.  First, Gary, Alex's father, made his fortune running a doctor and lawyer referral service which was apparently huge in FL.  He advertised in sports and so on.

Second, Juliette is a sophomore at FSU and only 19 so she is sneaking into clubs.

Madison used to say she couldn't wait to get out of the area but then decided the area is really cool.

Residents take pride in Siesta Key being called most beautiful beach in the world but they don't want influx of tourists. While homes on Siesta Key are expensive, the bars and restaurants aren't necessarily high end.  There are celebrities like Stephen King who live nearby but they don't hang out in Siesta Key or Sarasota.

Oh and the bikini contest Amanda did is fake because local girls don't typically do them.  It's strippers looking to make some extra money.

First time poster...feels strange since I've been a longtime lurker! I guess reading about my hometown inspired me to join in on the fun.

Of course as a Sarasota native I mostly enjoy watching this show to tear it to shreds, but it has become a guilty pleasure as well. 

1-800-ask Gary is a household name in Florida. It's been around for awhile and their ads are played on tv/radio constantly. So yeah, they're loaded. Gary and his wife are known around town as being nice, down to earth people. It's a shame those qualities didn't get passed on to Alex. 

As far as tourism/snowbirds go, it's a love hate relationship. They're so essential to our economy, personally I don't mind them unless I see littering or other disrespect to the environment. One thing is for sure, most of the locations filmed are not on siesta. Garrett and Kelsey's anniversary date was on south lido beach, for example.

Is anyone else confused about why everyone was blaming the nose breaking incident on Chloe? So she has a loud mouth, does that give Amanda the right to assault her? Did I miss something and Chloe swung at her first? 

• Love 3

It seems like they're playing out a plot.  She's seen how he's treated other girls.

So she sheds a few tears in front of Garrett and the cameras and she snaps right back, goes to the boat party and now  is going on that Bahamas trip without Garrett, despite what she said.

• Love 2
On 8/27/2017 at 10:09 PM, Loudmouse18 said:

First time poster...feels strange since I've been a longtime lurker! I guess reading about my hometown inspired me to join in on the fun.

Of course as a Sarasota native I mostly enjoy watching this show to tear it to shreds, but it has become a guilty pleasure as well. 

1-800-ask Gary is a household name in Florida. It's been around for awhile and their ads are played on tv/radio constantly. So yeah, they're loaded. Gary and his wife are known around town as being nice, down to earth people. It's a shame those qualities didn't get passed on to Alex. 

As far as tourism/snowbirds go, it's a love hate relationship. They're so essential to our economy, personally I don't mind them unless I see littering or other disrespect to the environment. One thing is for sure, most of the locations filmed are not on siesta. Garrett and Kelsey's anniversary date was on south lido beach, for example.

Is anyone else confused about why everyone was blaming the nose breaking incident on Chloe? So she has a loud mouth, does that give Amanda the right to assault her? Did I miss something and Chloe swung at her first? 

We visit Sarasota every year & hope to retire there. I enjoy watching all the locations they film the show at.

The problem with the show is that Alex is not a likeable lead. I think Pauly is much more entertaining.

The podcasters said Madison's instagram indicates she has a boyfriend so the thing they're doing with Brandon is probably a ruse.

They also said Garrett has been defending Kelsey on social media.

Asude from his parents money, I have no idea what the women see in Alex.  He's dumb as a box of rocks, purposely rude, and is not that attractive.  I'd like to knock those stupid sunglasses off the back of his head.

Why aren't any of the women interested in the otger guys, his cousins or whatever?  They're a bit cuter IMO.

Why am I watching this show?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, snarts said:

Asude from his parents money, I have no idea what the women see in Alex.  He's dumb as a box of rocks, purposely rude, and is not that attractive.  I'd like to knock those stupid sunglasses off the back of his head.

I had the same thoughts. He's not particularly likable. The podcast that scrb mentioned has talked about this as well...that for someone whose dad financed the pilot and is listed as executive producer (?), Alex doesn't come across well. 

• Love 2

I think it was sad that Juliette bragged that she owns the night by sleeping with Alex. 

She should stop chasing after Alex.

Alex was rude to make fun of Chloe wanting a big dinner.

Its unclear why Kelsey thought it would be Ok to be naked on Alex's bed after the party for autism.

Garrett should break up with her

I'm sad there are not more people talking about this show.  I like it...Alex is a dull tool. 

Juliette is pathic and Kelsey is ugh.  I like Chloe and Amanda.  Madisson acts strange and dorky...how she was with Alex I do not know.  They are all pretty akward.

• Love 1

These people, man! There's a benefit to watching this as someone way outside the age demographic -- I can clearly see how little nuance they have in their machinations, haha! For example, "Well, surely I'll look sooooooo carefree and unbothered if I do go to [Whatever Event]!" (and then proceed to obviously shoot eye-bullets at the rival you swear is not your rival)...or, "I know! I'll innocently pretend I have no idea why my justifiably upset BF is upset, so that he's the unreasonably clingy bad guy who drives me into the arms of another...and no one will ever know!"  I'm sure I was the same way in shit like this and thank god I no longer am (wouldn't mind still having my same body from that time though!).

I thought this would be a dumb-yet-fun watch like Laguna Beach, but those people made a much more intriguing first impression than these people do.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Doesn't seem to have caught fire like LB did.

OK so the stories have dwindled down to the drama around Alex.

No more about the fight or about Madison's job search.

Alex and the girls are not beautiful or charismatic enough to make this a thing.

Is it suppose to be aspirational, kind of like a white version of a rapper music video with the mansions and expensive cars?

So the end of the episode suggest they jumped on a private jet to fly back.  MTV pay for that or does 1 800 Gary generate that kind of cash.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, KikiBda said:

I'm sad there are not more people talking about this show.  I like it...Alex is a dull tool. 

Juliette is pathic and Kelsey is ugh.  I like Chloe and Amanda.  Madisson acts strange and dorky...how she was with Alex I do not know.  They are all pretty akward.

I think Madison is the smartest girl on the show. Juliette could easily find someone else to date in Sarasota.

Chloe should be more outraged at Alex

2 hours ago, scrb said:

Doesn't seem to have caught fire like LB did.

OK so the stories have dwindled down to the drama around Alex.

No more about the fight or about Madison's job search.

Alex and the girls are not beautiful or charismatic enough to make this a thing.

Is it suppose to be aspirational, kind of like a white version of a rapper music video with the mansions and expensive cars?

So the end of the episode suggest they jumped on a private jet to fly back.  MTV pay for that or does 1 800 Gary generate that kind of cash.

I think the girls on the show are pretty. However, Alex is the weak link. There needs to be males on the show that can challenge Alex. 

• Love 1

Other than Chloe, Alex has slept with every girl in this group of friends.  The fact that he is such a whore should be a huge turnoff to these girls but they don't seem to care.   Juliette considers it a "win" that she got to have sex with a guy who sleeps with all of her friends lol

• Love 3

Why aren't any of the women interested in the otger guys, his cousins or whatever?  They're a bit cuter IMO.

His green eyes seem to be his only redeeming quality, for me.  And ew Pauley is pretty gross, maybe because he reminds me of the Jersey Shore guys.  

• Love 4
On 9/5/2017 at 3:53 PM, oakville said:

I think the girls on the show are pretty. However, Alex is the weak link. There needs to be males on the show that can challenge Alex. 

They need to find someone who is just as wealthy as Alex or find another super hot girl to date Garrett (to get Kelsey jealous).

Madison seems the smartest and least superficial of the cast.  But if there's another season and she's on the show, rather than trying to do something with her engineering degree, which may require moving away from the area, then she's another reality show star wannabe.

Kelsey seems to be just that though.  She's going to cozy up to the star, who's only the star because his daddy paid for the show.

Pauly seems to be a loser, but apparently thinks he's better than Chloe because he can make post fat joke emojis about Chloe?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

was this area affected by Irma ?

The hurricane made landfall south of us so we didn't take the brunt of the storm, but we got a pretty good beating. No major damage as far as I know, just REALLY messy yards, some downed trees, and a lot of grumpy people without power right now. We were expecting a direct hit so we got incredibly lucky. 

• Love 2

Why are all the girls on this show blonde??

I only just started the 3rd episode, but I'm very confused as to why everyone is so upset at Chloe(?) for being responsible and choosing not to attend a party where the person who broke her fucking nose will also be.  They haven't resolved their issue, and it's at the house of the person who they were technically fighting over.  Also, Amanda's story keeps changing.  She first told someone that Chloe shoved her and then she told someone else that Chloe kicked her in the chest.  I also feel that there's something about Chloe that everyone keeps dancing around but not saying, especially her mom, as if she has some psychiatric issue that needs to be addressed that no one wants to come right out and say on camera.  

Garrett is so cute and sweet; I'm really hoping Kelsey doesn't ditch him for the ugly, rich dude.

I initially thought Brandon was hot, but he's getting uglier the more he's on screen acting like an asshole and playing the two girls around each other.

Madison really should have been more prepared to ask for an internship or a volunteer opportunity to shadow given her lack of experience.  As many of you mentioned earlier, why did she have such a lack of experience?  No internships, no fellowships, no research opportunities with professors?  Either the engineering program at her school failed her or she chose to not do any of the stuff.

• Love 2