Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Hella Shook

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I love to analyze Molly because I see her issues in me and one of my best friends - it's one of the reasons I love this show. One of my best friends is just realizing (with the help of therapy) that she picks men who are wrong for her so she doesn't have to commit to them. She's a serial monogamist (she had a bit of a ho phase) but there's always something about the men she dates that can't be worked around. Now she's dating a guy who IS right for her and they're teetering on the brink of ending things because she keeps making up reasons not to commit, and he's like "OK, cool, I fixed that. Next?" and she panics and makes something else up. I have settled for men who treated me callously because I didn't believe I deserved better. (Still trying to figure out why; my parents are divorced but my father is a good guy.) I think Molly is doing something similar. If

I swear, I could've written every bit of this!  It's crazy how often intelligent, perceptive, funny, women can have their shit together everywhere except in the romance dept.  And we can see everything that's wrong with someone else's situation - - just can't fix our own lives.  I love the conversation that comes out of a show like this - - - those moments when you realize there's a whole Sisterhood of Self-Saboteurs.

Zaldamo with the "Barack Barometer."  Love.  "I-got-a-pastor's-body-colleague" may be just what Molly needs.  After all, Barack and Michelle got together at that law firm.  But only after she's back in LA--she doesn't need those kinds of problems at the job.  And take that man some Roscoe 's!  My aunt flew out to Indiana for Thanksgiving with smoked turkey butts in her luggage because she didn't trust Indiana stores would have them for her greens.  Sometimes, we just gotta own our heritage. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Send me a dick pic I didnt ask for and you best believe I'm responding with a picture of a longer, stronger better looking dick. I keep em on file so I can always fire back.

Oh we sharing dicks?? Well whatcha think of this one?

You the real MVP.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I swear, I could've written every bit of this!  It's crazy how often intelligent, perceptive, funny, women can have their shit together everywhere except in the romance dept.  And we can see everything that's wrong with someone else's situation - - just can't fix our own lives.  I love the conversation that comes out of a show like this - - - those moments when you realize there's a whole Sisterhood of Self-Saboteurs.

Zaldamo with the "Barack Barometer."  Love.  "I-got-a-pastor's-body-colleague" may be just what Molly needs.  After all, Barack and Michelle got together at that law firm.  But only after she's back in LA--she doesn't need those kinds of problems at the job.  And take that man some Roscoe 's!  My aunt flew out to Indiana for Thanksgiving with smoked turkey butts in her luggage because she didn't trust Indiana stores would have them for her greens.  Sometimes, we just gotta own our heritage. 

Another of my friends had taken herself out of the game because EVERY guy she has dated has been either broke AF, emotionally abusive, or both - and everything else in her life is good. She owns a home, has a career, her parents have been married over 40 years, she had friends she's known her whole life ... she just refuses to date good men. So she finally broke the pattern (the last guy she dated was TRASH, to the point where people were like " ... are you sure?") and is working on herself.

i could see Pastor Body as being good for Molly because I doubt he fits the mold she's set for herself, the same way the guy from last season didn't but would have been good for her.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

My aunt flew out to Indiana for Thanksgiving with smoked turkey butts in her luggage because she didn't trust Indiana stores would have them for her greens. Sometimes, we just gotta own our heritage. 

MTS_TheCoffinCrew-1314658-somnig-vampire

#africanashell

#seeyallatthecookout

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Totally get it.  Her husbandry pedestal was shattered.  I understand her disappointment.  For the same reasons, I have very concrete, yet fairytaley ideas about what my husband should be like.  Which is why I've never been beat to get married just to say I did.   My parents have been happily married for 52 years.   I know what the gold standard looks like so the poor bastard who findeth me gone need to be Barack-level to break through.  Everybody's different so I respect that she was disappointed.  I'd be disappointed too.   What I found ridiculous was the infantile extremity of her reaction.   It was her little girl self.  Ok.   But, she legit tantruming over something that happened in 1978, ain't got n'air thing to do with her and that they'd already decided to work through.   Worse, was the lie she told Dro about why she was so devastated.   Her reaction doesn't match why she says she's mad.    She's carrying on about having been selective all this time, eliminating potential bae by holding men to some prince valiant daddy litmus that doesn't exist.   Molly.  Selective.   It hasn't been true once.  If it were, she wouldn't need to invent excuses to keep herself from attentive, devoted dudes like Jared and Lionel.   She needs to go back to therapy so she can uncover the real reasons she keeps rejecting happiness, quit holding mommy and daddy to storybook expectations that have nothing to do with her choices and find her something good.    

It may not sound like it but I want her to win lol.    

Oh, me and you are <here>, Damo. I want Molly to win, too, but she just can't get out of her own way. She's a mashup of Joan Clayton and Mary Jane Paul. Successful-ass women who just can't help but blow shit up. My parents were married for 23 years until my father's death 15 years ago, so any dude that comes through has shoes to fill. Trust that I'm not difficult, but what people may refer to as lofty or fairytale, I call having standards. It shouldn't be too much to ask that a dude is on my level, but the bar is so low, and even worse, black women are expected to have low expectations just so dusty fuckboys can get a chance. No ma'am. But that's a conversation for another time. 

I'm all for Molly getting her head right. It doesn't make sense that she's rejecting Lionel when he is everything she's looking for. You know he smells good and has excellent credit. From what little we've seen, no fuckboy tendencies, and he's available and interested. What's not to love? But as I wrote last week, Molly's the type who you can give everything to and she'll still find fault. She likes the chase and challenge, so she doesn't know how to deal with normal. We know this mess with Dro is going to blow all up in her face. Latent feelings may have surfaced, but let's see if he'll leave Candace. I highly doubt it. 

• Love 8

They dusty because they are! Dusty and ashy.

1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

HHHOOOOOOOMMMMYYYYGGGAAAWWWDDD!!! I'm inconsolable right now.

ETA that I'm listening to Shannon Boodram talk with her live-in boyfriend about their open relationship. There are two previous parts that I haven't listened to, but I thought to mention it given this whole Molly-Dro situation. Shannon and her boyfriend, Jared, are answering questions that people submitted to her. 

One of the questions Jared asks at 9m32s is, "What is too far?" Shannon lists willfully omitting information as too far; Jared says too far for him is doing something close to home, i.e., a friend.

Of course this is one (real life) couple's views, but I feel like Molly is in for a world of hurt. Because while I really do believe that Dro and Candace are in an open marriage, I have to also believe that they have rules against sleeping with close friends. 

Edited by Mozelle
1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

Oh, me and you are <here>, Damo. I want Molly to win, too, but she just can't get out of her own way. She's a mashup of Joan Clayton and Mary Jane Paul. Successful-ass women who just can't help but blow shit up. My parents were married for 23 years until my father's death 15 years ago, so any dude that comes through has shoes to fill. Trust that I'm not difficult, but what people may refer to as lofty or fairytale, I call having standards. It shouldn't be too much to ask that a dude is on my level, but the bar is so low, and even worse, black women are expected to have low expectations just so dusty fuckboys can get a chance. No ma'am. But that's a conversation for another time. 

I'm all for Molly getting her head right. It doesn't make sense that she's rejecting Lionel when he is everything she's looking for. You know he smells good and has excellent credit. From what little we've seen, no fuckboy tendencies, and he's available and interested. What's not to love? But as I wrote last week, Molly's the type who you can give everything to and she'll still find fault. She likes the chase and challenge, so she doesn't know how to deal with normal. We know this mess with Dro is going to blow all up in her face. Latent feelings may have surfaced, but let's see if he'll leave Candace. I highly doubt it. 

*dead* You know he does! Probably like expensive cologne. And look how soft his skin looks! He butters.

I too have excellent credit, and I might cut a man who fucked it up.

• Love 7
On 8/22/2017 at 11:55 AM, ZaldamoWilder said:

No man should have to be motivated to contribute to a partnership, that is just not hot.   But I realize that he's the kind of guy who has to pushed into everything.   Taking Tasha out to prove to Chad that she wasn't just a jump off.   Getting up off the air mattress and signing a lease.   Leaving Best Buy to fulfill his potential.  It's all too much nudging.   It's like he has no idea the effect complacency has on his relationships.    Seriously, just go home, he's not built to be out in these streets, with coke whores and stuff lol.

ITA - he is so complacent, which is fine if you're single because your actions aren't affecting anyone else. But to be in a long term committed relationship where you're just sitting around the house pretending to think about your app while your significant other is going to work and supporting your ass for TWO YEARS? Hell no. It's selfish on so many levels. Obviously there's the financial aspect because if he had gotten a job sooner, then they would have had money for other things like a vacation or a different apartment or whatever. But on top of that, Lawrence not even trying to look for a job put Issa in an awkward position of either being his enabler by not saying anything or being seen as a nag whenever she talked to him about it. The pattern you pointed out makes it even more obvious that he does almost nothing voluntarily. He waits until someone else pushes him. Definitely not someone I would want to be with. It would make me feel like a mom constantly saying, "Did you do your homework? Did you make your bed? Did you put away your stuff?"

• Love 9

Damn. I'm just sitting here cackling, clicking the little heart button and agreeing with every damn thing y'all saying here. 

Also, uhh, y'all know any Lionels in real life? 'Cause I like sleeping alone, ordering too much chinese food and drinking terrible wine while watching TV without having to explain myself to nobody (especially no dusty broke fuckboy) but I'd give that all up for that A1 primo black man. Just sayin'...

Edited by kissedbyarose
  • Love 5

but the bar is so low, and even worse, black women are expected to have low expectations just so dusty fuckboys can get a chance. No ma'am. But that's a conversation for another time. 

I had to stop myself from having this conversation in the bachelorette forum this season.

Re Molly, why on earth would you bring a man you're not feeling to an event as deeply personal as your parents' anniversary party? Or any brand new man, for that matter? I didn't get that at all. 

Dro's stroke game was disappointing af. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, kissedbyarose said:

Also, uhh, y'all know any Lionels in real life? 'Cause I like sleeping alone, ordering too much chinese food and drinking terrible wine while watching TV without having to explain myself to nobody (especially no dusty broke fuckboy) but I'd give that all up for that A1 primo black man. Just sayin'...

If y'all handing out A1 primo black men, add my name to the list.  Mmkay, thanks!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

I had to stop myself from having this conversation in the bachelorette forum this season.

Re Molly, why on earth would you bring a man you're not feeling to an event as deeply personal as your parents' anniversary party? Or any brand new man, for that matter? I didn't get that at all. 

?

I wasn't going to say anything, but... (and no pun intended there). I really hope that that wasn't  Sarunas' actual stroke and that he was just doing what he was directed to do as Dro lol.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

Agree with you on that Molly point.... I thought the same thing with Tasha and the family barbecue. She claimed to know that he was on the rebound and it wasn't serious... so invite him in the first place and then get mad when he bailed? Maybe I'm just too sensitive to the family issue but unless I'm serious about you, there's not reason for the family to get involved.

• Love 3

I'm surprised everyone thinks Dro is either flat out lying about being in an open marriage or breaking established rules.  My suspicion is that he is telling the truth, and that he currently doesn't think he's doing anything wrong.  However, I think when his wife finds out, she's going to lay down the hammer, and Molly is going to be left out in the cold, hurt and confused.  I don't think she's done anything wrong technically, but I agree it was a bad idea for her personally, both because she does care about Dro, and is looking for monogamy.  I think she is going to be surprised when Dro cuts her out of his life at his wife's wishes.

My bf and I watch this together, and he went on a hilarious monologue watching this episode about how Daniel is for fucking (including lines like "no one has abs like that AND a big ass!) and Lawrence, now that he has his professional life together, is for marrying.  I was just like...um, is there anything you want to tell me?  Because he was super detailed about why someone should want to fuck Daniel, lol. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, lasu said:

Lawrence, now that he has his professional life together, is for marrying.

Larry may have his professional life together, but thanks to Issa, his personal life is totally FUBAR'D.

Btw...I'm a newcomer to Insecure this season.  Kind of embarrassed to admit this as a Black man...but...I have to watch this show with the CC button on.  Between many of the characters' poor enunciation (especially Molly) and some weird sound values, I'd miss half the dialogue otherwise.  Anyone else experience this?

• Love 3

I lurk over on those Bachelorette boards, and I did peep those posts. I didn't read through everything, but I did notice how coded some of the language was.

And yeah, family functions are for when things are getting serious. You don't just bring any ol' body around your people. Molly just wanted a plus one and someone who could stand in as buffer between her and Dro.

Well damn, is this where the phrase "different strokes for different folks" came from? Because I didn't think Dro stroke game was that bad. It was all tender and shit.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

I lurk over on those Bachelorette boards, and I did peep those posts. I didn't read through everything, but I did notice how coded some of the language was.

And yeah, family functions are for when things are getting serious. You don't just bring any ol' body around your people. Molly just wanted a plus one and someone who could stand in as buffer between her and Dro.

Well damn, is this where the phrase "different strokes for different folks" came from? Because I didn't think Dro stroke game was that bad. It was all tender and shit.

After having this discussion with girlfriends, I realize it's a difference in stroke preference. I don't like circles and figure eights, I prefer it straight and steady lol. My girls who like geometric strokes thought it was a great scene. 

I did like his kissing style though, very passionate.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, ridethemaverick said:

After having this discussion with girlfriends, I realize it's a difference in stroke preference. I don't like circles and figure eights, I prefer it straight and steady lol. My girls who like geometric strokes thought it was a great scene. 

:screams: not figure 8s! But, I hear you...

giphy.gif

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, ridethemaverick said:

Omg you gotta leave. Geometric strokes?!

• Love 2

Clearly, I need to date a black guy again, because white dudes are all about jackhammering it straight into the wall. But then, the last time I had sex was during the first Obama administration, so the game may have changed since then.

Oh, who am I kidding? We all know white dudes' game is WAY WORSE now in EVERY WAY. *coughs*

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mozelle said:

!

Omg you gotta leave. Geometric strokes?

Oh good lord, LOL, these posts are the best. 

It wasn't just me, his stroke was not hot, it wasn't.

See when they panned the camera up way above them and you saw his ass drawing shapes, that's when it didn't look hot. All the other angles they filmed from looked hot to me. But as soon as you saw what his ass was doing, it was like, wait a minute, LOL. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

I like a combo....Figure eights and the straight and steady. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE IT ALL? 

And the sweet, nasty talk is a must. 

Okbye ?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

15 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

15 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

:screams: not figure 8s! But, I hear you...

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, Mozelle said:

Omg you gotta leave. Geometric strokes?!

13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Clearly, I need to date a black guy again, because white dudes are all about jackhammering it straight into the wall. But then, the last time I had sex was during the first Obama administration, so the game may have changed since then.

Oh, who am I kidding? We all know white dudes' game is WAY WORSE now in EVERY WAY. *coughs*

12 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Oh good lord, LOL, these posts are the best. 

It wasn't just me, his stroke was not hot, it wasn't.

See when they panned the camera up way above them and you saw his ass drawing shapes, that's when it didn't look hot. All the other angles they filmed from looked hot to me. But as soon as you saw what his ass was doing, it was like, wait a minute, LOL. 

8 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

I like a combo....Figure eights and the straight and steady. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE IT ALL? 

And the sweet, nasty talk is a must. 

Okbye ?

Oh my gawd!  Y'all are killing me this morning.  And all I can think about now is this:

• Love 2
5 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Oh my gawd!  Y'all are killing me this morning.  And all I can think about now is this:

OML, "Strokin'"! I definitely haven't thought about that one since it came out way back then.

Edited by bilgistic
On 8/25/2017 at 4:31 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

Btw...I'm a newcomer to Insecure this season.  Kind of embarrassed to admit this as a Black man...but...I have to watch this show with the CC button on.  Between many of the characters' poor enunciation (especially Molly) and some weird sound values, I'd miss half the dialogue otherwise.  Anyone else experience this?

I have to do the same. I was wondering if it was my hearing. I end up rewinding a lot.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2017 at 4:31 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

You are not alone.  I had commented early on in the first season that I had difficulty understanding many of the characters--especially Molly.  I thought that there might have been some feedback from viewers regarding this issue and the actors would be told to speak more clearly but, alas, it was not to be. 

Hella late (ha!) on this epi but  everybody in this episode pissed me off.

- Lawrence - You don't get to be mad about who Issa is seeing after you left her and told Molly there was no hope of getting back together.  It is a shame when Derek knows Issa better than you, the man who was with her for five years, two of which you never apparently left the house.

- Molly - what are you, twelve?  Girl get a grip.  I am rooting for you but your immaturity in, well, everything is starting to shine a little too brightly.

- Frieda - unless Issa is your superior and you don't have the power to gainsay her, then the last time I checked you have a mouth and should be able to use it.  She's not your mule, she doesn't have to carry your water.  if you see an injustice then you say something, don't wait for her to do it and don't get all passive-aggressive about your "disappointment" in her if she doesn't.

- Issa - I know it is really nice to get back into the sex game.  I am only imagine how bad the sex must have been with a man who was unmotivated as Lawrence for the past two years.  But hon, safety first.  You know better than to text and drive.  That shit really pisses me off because I had a friend who died when he was hit by some texting while driving twat.

• Love 2