Type keyword(s) to search

Questions about Face Off

Hi everyone. Thank you for the awesome experience on previously t.v

I'm KC from Face Off .

Originally from USA but I grew up in Israel.

I'm 30, a military veteran, a Leo and lover of Monsterous beauty... or beautiful Monsters.

I own a makeup FX shop in L.A called Nocturnal Designz and we train a lot of students with our amazing crew, family and a sassy husky puppy named Ghost.

I would love to chat with you guys about the show and answer any questions.

IMG_-w1j34i.jpg

Edited by KCMUSSMAN
  • Love 6

Auditions. 

I have been contacted in the past to audition and never went. 

After the all stars season Cig Nuetron reccomended me to the show and they called me in so I agreed. (I always wanted to do it) 

There where a few rounds of auditions and interviews and a crazy amount of work, sculpting molding and applying a makeup on myself in 2 hours. 

• Love 3

Where there any challenges this season where you wanted to do something totally different, but because of the teams you had to change what you would have made?

Also, on a more personal note, what made you get into FX in the first place? It's such an awesome way to make a living.

• Love 1

I wish SyFy would have a Face Off special episode showing the models. They're an integral part of the makeup and can really help sell the artist's design. What's it like wearing the makeup? With filming, how long are they wearing everything? How hard is it to remove all the makeup, body paint, etc.? It would be interesting to hear "horror stories" from the models! KC, do you have anything you can tell?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Where there any challenges this season where you wanted to do something totally different, but because of the teams you had to change what you would have made?

Yes. The first challenge I wanted the female to be the beta. I was happy that I got to work on her but I wanted the ears differently, I have a wolf dog and I wanted to shape the ears more like his. I was overall happy with that character. I thought they would be an awesome B movie , Mutant Wherewolves Millitia or something (I would see that film). We did not know eachother yet so it was harder to combine skills.

Second challenge I wanted to go more xenomorph, Nick designed the queen cowl but we did not have any cohesive direction from Nick and Jill. 

So Phil and I did our best to come up with something. I ended up working alone on the worker wasp. My highlight was working with Phil. Him and I tag teamed and took turns blocking out the baby and detailing it. Al painted it and made the Awesome egg. 

I designed Armor for Phil and myself to tie in our drones. Jill gave us the big orbs to tie in to the sculpts to make it more cohesive.

We also had tons of fun dancing around the armor and painting it together. I wished they showed more of the actual team work on screen. It was great!!

IMG_20170622_111943_527.jpg

• Love 3

Also, on a more personal note, what made you get into FX in the first place? It's such an awesome way to make a living.

I love to LARP and play DND. When I was younger I would go to my friends and turn them to creatures to late as with makeup, elves, orcs, zombies, ect. I would take band aids and fold them and use my moms hair removal wax over the bandaids to sculpt ears and cover them with makeup. 

Some of those players became film makers and I would do creature makeup for their films. This was before YouTube  and facebook so information was scarce. When face-off started that was the first time I saw the potential of makeup effects and moved from Israel to L.A to pursue fx.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

I wish SyFy would have a Face Off special episode showing the models. It would be interesting to hear "horror stories" from the models! KC, do you have anything you can tell?

The models are amazing people...And the people I worked with are very dear and special to me. 

There are many "horror stories"

Sometimes the models get claustrophobic or disoriented if the pieces cover their eyes or the lenses are blinding. 

Sometimes when it's hot or certain models sweat more often the sweat will break apart the adhesives and the prosthetics won't stick. 

The greatest horror storys are coming up in the finale so I will address it after the episode. :)

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

We also had tons of fun dancing around the armor and painting it together. I wished they showed more of the actual team work on screen. It was great!!

Ugh, I wish they had shown that stuff too.  I love seeing creative people bouncing ideas off each other and just having a good time. Part of what I loved about Cig and George last season was that they just seemed to be having a blast working together. It is such a fun thing to do, creating monsters and aliens and all kinds of crazy creatures. I love this show most when it shows the fun of that. I get that they need drama, but it's the joy you all have in what you do that keeps me watching. There is nothing better than watching someone doing something they enjoy so much they can't imagine doing anything else.

38 minutes ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

Mutant Wherewolves Millitia or something (I would see that film).

me and my friends would be all over that movie!

And thank you so much for doing this thread and talking to us and answering our questions. You've helped humanize a season that felt a little harder to connect with than those in the past. I hope that makes sense. With the teams it was hard to really get to know you all so it was harder to really get invested. But hearing you talk about working with your team and hearing you give some insight into the other contestants has helped give them each more personality.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

The greatest horror storys are coming up in the finale so I will address it after the episode. :)

Such a tease! 

Thanks for making this thread and answering what you can. 

When Michael Westmore shows up to give advice, how much time does he actually have with each contestant? We see glimpses of his advice in the show, but does he go more in depth and it is cut back?

And how big was the Wow Factor when you meet the Judges and Westmores for the first times on the show? Do you have any sort of "Get to know eachother" moments in the early days either with the other contestants and/or with the models or judges?

• Love 5
On 8/14/2017 at 0:58 AM, KCMUSSMAN said:

After the all stars season Cig Nuetron reccomended me to the show and they called me in so I agreed. (I always wanted to do it) 

There where a few rounds of auditions and interviews and a crazy amount of work, sculpting molding and applying a makeup on myself in 2 hours. 

This is awesome.  So is the professional special effects makeup world pretty small (at least in the US)?

18 hours ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

The models are amazing people...And the people I worked with are very dear and special to me. 

There are many "horror stories"

Sometimes the models get claustrophobic or disoriented if the pieces cover their eyes or the lenses are blinding. 

Sometimes when it's hot or certain models sweat more often the sweat will break apart the adhesives and the prosthetics won't stick. 

Oooo...I can't wait!  Speaking of the models, how did you choose the ones you worked with?  Did you choose based on which ones best suited the challenge (like, they already had elven or wolf-like features), which ones best suited your style, or which ones you found easiest to work with?  Sounds like you might have had favorites...was that just because they were the ones you worked with the most?

18 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

And thank you so much for doing this thread and talking to us and answering our questions. You've helped humanize a season that felt a little harder to connect with than those in the past. I hope that makes sense. With the teams it was hard to really get to know you all so it was harder to really get invested. But hearing you talk about working with your team and hearing you give some insight into the other contestants has helped give them each more personality.

THIS!  So much!  Thank you, @KCMUSSMAN!  You are awesome!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

You've helped humanize a season that felt a little harder to connect with than those in the past. I hope that makes sense. With the teams it was hard to really get to know you all so it was harder to really get invested. But hearing you talk about working with your team and hearing you give some insight into the other contestants has helped give them each more personality.

There is so much left out and the contestants are wayyyyyyyyy more talented, friendly and awesome than they seem. 

Nelson and Phil are perhaps the most underrated artist on the show but both of them helped out every single other contestants many times always do a ton of work and give a lot of emotional support while being humble and sweet. 

Laura was an incredible shop girl taking on a ton of the shop work and has great makeup skills, she never got to shine. Kiersten is a fantastic sculptor and very talented artist.

Faina is a great applicator and blends edges seamlessly.

Jill has a very funny sense of humor and cracked us up. Her specialty is whimsy and she just wanted everyone to do good.

Susan rocks fabrication

Andrew is a super speedy sculptor

Nick has great taste in clothing and has cool airbrush skills. 

And Joseph is so sweet and supportive with an incredible eye for detail and color (jojo was my roommate at the house) I love him to bits.

I wish you all got to see them like I did. 

4 hours ago, Taeolas said:

When Michael Westmore shows up to give advice, how much time does he actually have with each contestant? We see glimpses of his advice in the show, but does he go more in depth and it is cut back?

He gives about 10 minutes to each person. Perhaps half his critique makes it in. 

4 hours ago, Taeolas said:

And how big was the Wow Factor when you meet the Judges and Westmores for the first times on the show? Do you have any sort of "Get to know eachother" moments in the early days either with the other contestants and/or with the models or judges?

The Westmores are so amazing

McKenzie is all smiles and she interacts a lot with us on stage. She try to make us laugh or gives compliments and it really takes a bit of the edge off the nerve racking judging.

We are not aloud  to interact with the judges at all and are kept away from them :)

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Nessie said:

This is awesome.  So is the professional special effects makeup world pretty small (at least in the US)?

Oh yes we are a very small and tight community. We really do work a lot in teams and crews and the season firmat did make sense but it just wasn't handled and edited properly I think. 

2 hours ago, Nessie said:

Oooo...I can't wait!  Speaking of the models, how did you choose the ones you worked with?  Did you choose based on which ones best suited the challenge (like, they already had elven or wolf-like features), which ones best suited your style, or which ones you found easiest to work with?  Sounds like you might have had favorites...was that just because they were the ones you worked with the most?

The models are all amazing. We each take turns going up to select model and everyone has there own ideas of who to select. I chose based on my design. 

I had a wonderful time with all my models and I'm still good friends with many.

Aaron Groben is a good friend

Chase Olswang

Nayeli Morales

Megan Albertas

Elena Popzlakova

Are models I frequently work with. 

All of you are very welcome this is so much fun!!!!

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

I wish you all got to see them like I did. 

I wish we did too. Sounds like a fun bunch. It's so odd to me that for a season with teams there didn't seem to be that much focus on teamwork. I mean, one of my favorite moments was when you were showing others how to do the horns. I would love to have seen more of Nelson and Phil helping out other people. Maybe they will work that out if they do another team season.

• Love 5

Do the contestants still live in the FaceOff house? We haven't seen it for a few seasons? Granted, there was never any real drama there. Just seeing a few lawn chairs outside the workshop area the past couple of seasons.

• Love 2

Thanks so much for doing this!

This is more of a logistic question, but what I've always wondered is who actually makes the foam pieces overnight, and how does it work for you to say which molds you want made? Do you mark the molds before you leave and then other workers come in and make the pieces, and leave them for you to find in the morning? And then all the contestant come in to inspect their edges!

I really liked that in the first part of the finale which we saw tonight, since Glen was the "client" he was there to help develop ideas and give constructive feedback. How did that feel to have him in a different role than usual? And how was the experience of the finale challenge different than the other challenges, with having more of an involved process with multiple occasions of getting feedback and a chance to modify your work?

Thanks again for answering our questions!

3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Do the contestants still live in the FaceOff house? We haven't seen it for a few seasons? Granted, there was never any real drama there. Just seeing a few lawn chairs outside the workshop area the past couple of seasons.

We all lived In the face-off house but we left very early and came back very late. They had so much going in It would be hard to fit the house in the show.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, katalizt said:

Thanks so much for doing this!

This is more of a logistic question, but what I've always wondered is who actually makes the foam pieces overnight, and how does it work for you to say which molds you want made? Do you mark the molds before you leave and then other workers come in and make the pieces, and leave them for you to find in the morning? And then all the contestant come in to inspect their edges!

There is a professional crew running the foam. We indeed mark our molds and they know what to do. I run foam muself at the shop but it is a very complicated procedure with rough chemicals that are not safe for breathing. On such a large scale show precautions must be taken. Faceoff is a very proffesional and safty forward show.

I really liked that in the first part of the finale which we saw tonight, since Glen was the "client" he was there to help develop ideas and give constructive feedback. How did that feel to have him in a different role than usual? And how was the experience of the finale challenge different than the other challenges, with having more of an involved process with multiple occasions of getting feedback and a chance to modify your work?

Working with Glen was amazing. He was a very picky client but really fun and i loved his ideas and feedback. 

We had a very tall order. 10 ft tall infact and we needed to produce a large scale makeup for a moving chair. With 6ft long woiden stilts. It was very challenging abd we where a little overwhelmed at first. It was critical to test the lighting because a lot of the paint was washed out under the intense red light. I wish they let us test the chair too.

Thanks again for answering our questions!

My pleasure

• Love 4

Do you know what the models do when they aren't on Face Off? I know some of them have dance backgrounds which we've seen them use in a few of the challenges over the years, but I'm curious what else they do. Being on the show must be a decent time commitment. How long did it take to film the whole season?

KC, more thanks for starting this thread. I hope you'll keep it going for future seasons—I'd love any other makeup information or general behind-the-scenes insights you might have as new contestants are put through the paces.

My random question: How did you come to specialize in horns, of all things?

I JUST found this thread (?)place/ whatever........so glad to have @KCMUSSMAN here, been reading like mad, thanks for all your honest answers.  Before I saw this, I'd asked and I'll reask now.....would you come back again to FO, either as a participant or team leader?  Goodness knows how many of us are rooting for you.  I won't say I flat hate anyone, but as stated above, that you care enough to interact with us really humanizes a non human medium.  Good luck next week!

Your furbaby is adorable.

Thank you for your service (military spouse here).

• Love 2

Bless you KC!!! We are ALL fanatics on these boards and talking to the "real deal" is a HUGE treat!!!

I love your dog!

What's the stuff they always call k100 or something? The stuff you use a heat gun on to mold the horns?? I have a friend who LOVES Halloween and makes killer costumes. SHe is dying to know what that stuff is and where she can get it. And I don't even know the name of the it but hoping you know what I mean. (It's black and you cut it out and mold it with heat? 

• Love 2
On 8/16/2017 at 3:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Do you know what the models do when they aren't on Face Off? I know some of them have dance backgrounds which we've seen them use in a few of the challenges over the years, but I'm curious what else they do. Being on the show must be a decent time commitment. How long did it take to film the whole season?

If I owe my experience to anyone it is the models. A bunch of the sweetest most patient people. They take on so much hardship and sacrafice comfort to help us.

Nayeli is an actress and dancer. She was a face ive seen around conventions and facebook before the show she would always say hello at the conventions. When I went on the show she was working with Faina in the termite challenge but she ran up and hugged me and said "its about time you got here" it was really nice and encouraging.

Aaron Groben is a good friend of mine now after the show and he acts in a bunch of cool things. You can see him on netflix in a film called Zoombies.

Most of the models are talented dancers/actors and models in life too.

The show is shot around 6 weeks to 2 months straight with no breaks. 

On 8/16/2017 at 2:08 PM, PhoneCop said:

KC, more thanks for starting this thread. I hope you'll keep it going for future seasons—I'd love any other makeup information or general behind-the-scenes insights you might have as new contestants are put through the paces.

My random question: How did you come to specialize in horns, of all things?

I will love to stick around!

People here are awesome!

growing up playing dnd I realised all the coolest things have horns. Demons, Satyrs, Unicorns, Dragons... I just loved horned animals like deer and moose and gazelles. 

The day I met my husband I had prosthetic horns glued on my forehead. He was curious and came up to see how they were sticking out of my skin.

Lol. I guess its just a part of me

• Love 8
On 8/16/2017 at 4:58 PM, sourpickles said:

I JUST found this thread (?)place/ whatever........so glad to have @KCMUSSMAN here, been reading like mad, thanks for all your honest answers.  Before I saw this, I'd asked and I'll reask now.....would you come back again to FO, either as a participant or team leader?  Goodness knows how many of us are rooting for you.  I won't say I flat hate anyone, but as stated above, that you care enough to interact with us really humanizes a non human medium.  Good luck next week!

Your furbaby is adorable.

Thank you for your service (military spouse here).

Sourpickles I was wondering where you were. 

Thanks for the awesome support and say Hello to your spouse!

I loved the show and would do it again in a heart beat. I would love to be a leader or mentor too. I like to teach and work at a makeup school. My husband is a school teacher as well.

My direwolf "Ghost" says hi too

13 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

Bless you KC!!! We are ALL fanatics on these boards and talking to the "real deal" is a HUGE treat!!!

I love your dog!

Yay thanks for all the support. My favorite thing is chatting with you guys. Its so cool to see how other people view the show.

13 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

What's the stuff they always call k100 or something? The stuff you use a heat gun on to mold the horns?? I have a friend who LOVES Halloween and makes killer costumes. SHe is dying to know what that stuff is and where she can get it. And I don't even know the name of the it but hoping you know what I mean. (It's black and you cut it out and mold it with heat? 

Its called L200 foam (you where close)

Great stuff to heat and carve and sand. 

At my shop I use it a lot for armor.

Heres an explanitory tutorial for your friend.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

Sourpickles I was wondering where you were. 

Thanks for the awesome support and say Hello to your spouse!

I loved the show and would do it again in a heart beat. I would love to be a leader or mentor too. I like to teach and work at a makeup school. My husband is a school teacher as well.

My direwolf "Ghost" says hi too

Yay thanks for all the support. My favorite thing is chatting with you guys. Its so cool to see how other people view the show.

Its called L200 foam (you where close)

Great stuff to heat and carve and sand. 

At my shop I use it a lot for armor.

Heres an explanitory tutorial for your friend.

Oh My Gosh!!! Thank You so much!!! She will be thrilled! And when I tell her it came from you she'll be more thrilled! She made a great shark costume last year but my favorite was her Area 31 Prom Queen! She was completely blue with blue cats eyes glasses and a sash that said "Area 31 Prom Queen"  (Is it 31 or 51? Either way you know what I mean!) (Could I use more !!!! marks? LOL)

• Love 1

I'm jumping right on the bandwagon to say how awesome it is to have someone who can answer questions, @KCMUSSMAN! One that I have is knowing you probably watched the previous seasons, did you feel cheated when you found out that it was teams? Was it  difficult to showcase your talents early on with so many people around to "help"?

• Love 2
18 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

Oh My Gosh!!! Thank You so much!!! She will be thrilled! And when I tell her it came from you she'll be more thrilled! She made a great shark costume last year but my favorite was her Area 31 Prom Queen! She was completely blue with blue cats eyes glasses and a sash that said "Area 31 Prom Queen"  (Is it 31 or 51? Either way you know what I mean!) (Could I use more !!!! marks? LOL)

:) Its area 51... Sounds rad. Can you post a pic of her costumes ?!!!!!

12 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

I'm jumping right on the bandwagon to say how awesome it is to have someone who can answer questions, @KCMUSSMAN! One that I have is knowing you probably watched the previous seasons, did you feel cheated when you found out that it was teams?

I was really excited about the team format. It was cool to be able to do more.

However I felt disapointed they did not take us anywhere other than descanso gardens during the show.

12 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

Was it  difficult to showcase your talents early on with so many people around to "help"?

Absolutly, clashing ideas, personalities and a very limiting format. I think they needed to alter the format and the rules to make the shop element work better. 

Thanks for jumping in!!!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

Jumping in just to thank you @KCMUSSMAN for your input and for sharing with us some of your behind the scene experiences ! Yay !

Cheers from Switzerland :D (Yes, I follow the show from Switzerland, lol)

Cheers and Chuchichäschtli (all I can say because it is so cute of a word)

I love meeting people and chatting. My favorite part of faceoff. 

Does anyone have questions about specific challenges?

• Love 1

Coucou :) (French part of Switzerland :) Lake of Geneva, near Montreux, to be more precise ^_^ )

And I've got a question. Not specifically related to one or another challenge, but we never see when you chose the costumes, clothes, etc... Is there a wardrobe or something like that ? How does this thing work ?

Merci beaucoup :D

40 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

Coucou :) (French part of Switzerland :) Lake of Geneva, near Montreux, to be more precise ^_^ )

And I've got a question. Not specifically related to one or another challenge, but we never see when you chose the costumes, clothes, etc... Is there a wardrobe or something like that ? How does this thing work ?

Merci beaucoup :D

Ahhhhhh oK..Je suis KC, Je'taime mon petit chein... et mon amis a le forum previously tv.   (no google translate I swear)

Wardrobe was one of my favorite parts of the show. There is a department that take your order. You need to explain everything to them, the more specific the better: what colors, fabrics, cuts materials ect. . They are not allowed to talk with you or design for you. If you give a sketch than they make it. They are amazing- they make everything in 1 day!!!

On my shop I was in charge of designing a lot of the wardrobe:

Episode 2: hive insects

I designed Drone + worker (and personally custom made the armor for both. )

Episode 3: faries

I designed the dresses and outfit for the fairy family, they where inspired by fairies of the court of queen tatijana in shakspears a midsummers night dream. I made wardrobe sketches too. And Phil and I created the wings ourselves

Episode 4: Dantes Demons.

I designed the wardrobe for my demon- it had a collar of melted swords (Iron throne style) and currency, gold, chains and valuebles melted into it. He wore a pope robe with an authentic 5000$ gilded book as a prop. The white gloves where a must to protect the prop.  I helped Jojo design his roman tunic cut with midwaist soft corset and chained cuffs on wrists and arms.

Episode 5: 4 seasons

I designed our ballerina company, they wore traditional classical russian ballet garb, inspired by each season. The department hand beaded and sequined the dancers leotards. It was fantastic work

Episode 6 possesion:

All 3 charachters wore original vintage 1950's clothing. To tie in the idea that they are 3 generations of women in the 50's

My character wore a 1950's harvard uniform and the camera was from 1914

Episode 8: amusing aliens

I designed the spacesuit my alien wore with a custom logo of the international space station and the foam gravity boots that keep him on the ground. There was also some awesome  headgear and goggles but I couldnt get them on in time.

Episode 9 Finale: Glenn wanted specific asthetics from the hell room inspired by italian rennaisance artist Hermionous Bosch who hapoens to be my favorite artist too. 

The wardrobe was all period and very very complicated: for instance the skirt on Asmodeous character was 9 feet long!!! 

• Love 3

That's excellent ! Thanks for the input ! I'd never guessed that !!!!! I initially thought it was a kind of lame/silly question, but, regarding to your answer, it wasn't !

It would be really cool if they made a "behind the scenes" special EP, where all that stuff (latex molding, costumes, etc.) could be shown, because I guess that most of people who watch the show don't have any clue !

Thanks a lot pour toutes ces informations, Madame <3 I really appreciate.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

Episode 9 Finale: Glenn wanted specific asthetics from the hell room inspired by italian rennaisance artist Hermionous Bosch who hapoens to be my favorite artist too. 

The wardrobe was all period and very very complicated: for instance the skirt on Asmodeous character was 9 feet long!!! 

This explains a lot more than the intro did.  Were you also given color schemes of the three rooms and the already made staging?  

How many hours of sleep did you get each night and were all meals catered?

• Love 1
On 8/19/2017 at 5:39 AM, Diane Mars said:

That's excellent ! Thanks for the input ! I'd never guessed that !!!!! I initially thought it was a kind of lame/silly question, but, regarding to your answer, it wasn't 

It would be really cool if they made a "behind the scenes" special EP, where all that stuff (latex molding, costumes, etc.) could be shown, because I guess that most of people who watch the show don't have any clue!

There are so many interesting production and behind tbe scenes moments. Its very i triguing. I would like to see a speacial about the bts too.

On 8/19/2017 at 5:39 AM, Diane Mars said:

Thanks a lot pour toutes ces informations, Madame <3 I really appreciate.

My pleasure!

On 8/19/2017 at 9:15 AM, enoughcats said:

This explains a lot more than the intro did.  Were you also given color schemes of the three rooms and the already made staging?  

The insect /reptile theme stems from the worl of Bosch. 

Its a really cool consept, thats why we needed to do certain things. Glen was with us bts giving us artistic direction. It was fun.  

On 8/19/2017 at 9:15 AM, enoughcats said:

How many hours of sleep did you get each night and were all meals catered?

The show is union and we where treated with very good conditions. It was like a vacation. 

• Love 3

@KCMUSSMAN thanks for answering questions. I don't think I have any questions that haven't been asked by other people. I recommend this show to everyone because it's one of the rare competitive reality shows where teamwork and collaboration occur between contestants because that's how the field operates. I kind of view the show as one long interview. It's an opportunity to display your skills and show that you work well with a team. Thanks for the details about the costumes. I really appreciate your behind the scenes insights.*

*This makes me long for the golden olden days of TWoP. Not the West Wing forum and Sorkin's bruised ego, mind you.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

@KCMUSSMAN thanks for answering questions. I don't think I have any questions that haven't been asked by other people. I recommend this show to everyone because it's one of the rare competitive reality shows where teamwork and collaboration occur between contestants because that's how the field operates. I kind of view the show as one long interview. It's an opportunity to display your skills and show that you work well with a team. Thanks for the details about the costumes. I really appreciate your behind the scenes insights.*

*This makes me long for the golden olden days of TWoP. Not the West Wing forum and Sorkin's bruised ego, mind you.

I dont know TWOP

But I like reading comments and talking about the show. Its a cool experience, and Im not sensitive to negative comments either :)

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

I dont know TWOP

But I like reading comments and talking about the show. Its a cool experience, and Im not sensitive to negative comments either :)

TWoP (Television Without Pity) was the granddaddy, the progenitor, of websites like Previously TV. Both the business and style of recapping and how we talk about television came from TWoP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_Without_Pity?wprov=sfla1

https://www.theguardian.com/media/media-blog/2014/apr/03/television-without-pity-demise-snark

One of the things I loved about TWoP was that creators, writers, producers, and contestants would come by, just as you've done, answer questions and engage with viewers and fans. One of my favorites was the late great Dwayne McDuffie, who it turns out was Keegan-Michael Key's half brother. So once again, thanks for talking with us.

One of the things that we're always doing here is spit balling new challenges. Not that our ideas are the greatest, but I would be interested in seeing a challenge where all of the contestants had to interpret the same basic design in different textures (metal, fabric, leather, wood, rock). Or maybe the contestants are each given a design, but they have to add the texture that would be appropriate for the design. 

• Love 3

KC---Thank You SOOO much for the you tube video! She saw it Sunday and was SOOOO excited you would have gone out of your way to do that! We watched it, took notes, and are planning to watch them all! We also looked up where to buy it here (Va. Beach) and we're ordering some!!! 

I'll get her to send me some pics!! Like I said, Halloween is her high, holy day...Better than Christmas for her..Because...costumes!! 

Thank Again, so blown away you did this!

• Love 2

Hi KC, thanks for starting this thread.  I'm curious if when you work with Michael Westmore if you get to hear any of his stories about all the projects he's worked on, like "when I was working on Star Trek, we did it this way and this thing happened."

• Love 1
On 8/17/2017 at 10:55 PM, KCMUSSMAN said:

I will love to stick around!

People here are awesome!

Glad to hear it! I come to this show with no knowledge of makeup whatsoever, so it'd be fantastic to have somebody around who can explain some of the technical stuff in challenges. (Whenever I see wide shots of the shop, I'm always like "Ooh, look at all the things in all the colors!" But I have no idea what anything is.)

On 8/17/2017 at 10:55 PM, KCMUSSMAN said:

growing up playing dnd I realised all the coolest things have horns. Demons, Satyrs, Unicorns, Dragons... I just loved horned animals like deer and moose and gazelles. 

Me too! Whenever I go to a zoo, I always run to the antelopes section. It's the most random thing, LOL.

Non-make up question here and not sure if you can answer due to contract issues but, besides the overall winner who gets $100,000 do the other contestants receive any monetary compensation? Congratulations on the finale, your work was awesome, one of the best finales Ive seen on FO!!!

On 8/20/2017 at 5:27 PM, HunterHunted said:

I would be interested in seeing a challenge where all of the contestants had to interpret the same basic design in different textures (metal, fabric, leather, wood, rock). Or maybe the contestants are each given a design, but they have to add the texture that would be appropriate for the design. 

Super cool idea... I would have loved this. 

On 8/21/2017 at 6:14 AM, eurekagirl mOo said:

I'll get her to send me some pics!! Like I said, Halloween is her high, holy day...Better than Christmas for her..Because...costumes!! 

I would love to see pics. 

That would be rad!!! :)

On 8/21/2017 at 1:15 PM, Lugal said:

Hi KC, thanks for starting this thread.  I'm curious if when you work with Michael Westmore if you get to hear any of his stories about all the projects he's worked on, like "when I was working on Star Trek, we did it this way and this thing happened."

Mr.Westmore was always super sweet and encouraging. He didnt have much time for chat but on the fairy godfather makeup he complemented my design and telescope armature and said it was the same techneique they used in star trek for several of the characters and he would have hired me back in the day. I blushed redder than my hair and you can see this on camera lol.

On 8/22/2017 at 9:20 PM, PhoneCop said:

Glad to hear it! I come to this show with no knowledge of makeup whatsoever, so it'd be fantastic to have somebody around who can explain some of the technical stuff in challenges. (Whenever I see wide shots of the shop, I'm always like "Ooh, look at all the things in all the colors!" But I have no idea what anything is.)

Me too! Whenever I go to a zoo, I always run to the antelopes sectiona un

Sure thing. Sooooo much cool stuff is in there. I wish I could use it all!!

Me too! Whenever I go to a zoo, I always run to the antelopes section. It's the most random thing, LOL.

. It's the most random thing, LOL.

its such a unique feature.... Like teeth or Bones growing out of the skin... Weird. 

• Love 1
On 8/23/2017 at 6:56 AM, diebartdie said:

Non-make up question here and not sure if you can answer due to contract issues but, besides the overall winner who gets $100,000 do the other contestants receive any monetary compensation?

There is no compensation. The only prize money goes to the winner. But we where properly taken care of and the crew was wonderful and professional. 

On 8/23/2017 at 6:56 AM, diebartdie said:

Congratulations on the finale, your work was awesome, one of the best finales Ive seen on FO!!!

Thank you kindly. I really tried to do something different and incorporate my style with Glens directions. Im very proud of it as I had not 1, but 2 extra gimmicks in my room that the other two did not. It was a struggle and Im super happy with the results. I apreciate your suppirt :)!!

I love watching gameface and would definetely be up to compete. The producers of the show wouldn't want me to say anything so I will settle with wait and see :)

• Love 2

sorry about the delay.

My good friend Avi and I are Hot Rodding my car this week, Its looking really cool. 

If anyone is interested to follow up im on instagram @nocturnal_designz

and twitter @nocturnal-spfx

:)

IMG_20170830_213909.jpg

• Love 6
13 hours ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

Mr.Westmore was always super sweet and encouraging. He didnt have much time for chat but on the fairy godfather makeup he complemented my design and telescope armature and said it was the same techneique they used in star trek for several of the characters and he would have hired me back in the day. I blushed redder than my hair and you can see this on camera lol.

Memories are made of this.

• Love 1
On 8/31/2017 at 2:20 AM, KCMUSSMAN said:

I guessed you would be too busy for a lot of stories, but even a little bit like that is so cool.

• Love 2
On 8/31/2017 at 4:34 AM, KCMUSSMAN said:

sorry about the delay.

My good friend Avi and I are Hot Rodding my car this week, Its looking really cool. 

If anyone is interested to follow up im on instagram @nocturnal_designz

and twitter @nocturnal-spfx

:)

IMG_20170830_213909.jpg

Your friend's work is pretty good. I'm curious about the rivet/bolt detail. How is/was that done?

When I was in grad school, there was this woman, who lived near the university that we'd see running errands, picking up her kids, and just being an out and about mom, driving her old Volvo station wagon with rims, ghost flame paint job, and a skull painted on the hood. One day, she wasn't driving that old Volvo of hers. She was driving the newest model Volvo station wagon with rims, ghost flame paint job, and a skull painted on the hood.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4