Type keyword(s) to search

Stress, Depression, Anxiety and other Mental Health-related things

• Start Topic

So glad that things are going well.  It sounds like it was a nice and unique gathering.  Perhaps, making your own traditions.  ?  Babies usually change a lot before they reach toddler stage.  I hope things are going really well and that you and baby are very happy. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/

I have an internet addiction (we're even getting rid of our home internet at the end of the week to try to manage it). I even resorted to trying a 12-step program last year and it really made no logical sense to me. The other members got offended when I questioned aspects of the program too, even though my questioning was based on research. Anyway at this point even though I dislike taking medication, I am interested in trying the methods mentioned in this article, including naltrexone, in order to see if it helps. Maybe I could even be a case study because there doesn't seem to be much research done on internet addiction. I emailed the clinic mentioned in this article to see if they had any thoughts on the matter and could refer me to a doctor in my area that might be open to trying this method. Wish me luck!

On 12/14/2017 at 4:18 PM, emma675 said:

Does anyone take any natural remedies, like herbs, for mild depression? I hate even saying "depression" because I don't really feel like it's that extreme, but I definitely feel like I need a little support. I would describe it as being in a funk, really. I'm just not my normal positive self lately and I've got some minor back and head aches and fatigue. There's nothing physically wrong, my physical in Oct. was great, I think I'm just a little off.

I know this is a super old post but fish oil and vitamin D3 really help me and have a host of other benefits. It's very common to have deficiencies in vitamin D and EPA/DHA.

• Love 1

I'm finally about to break up with my Fitbit.  I've been too obsessed with stats - mostly related to calories burned, exercise minutes and resting heart rate.  I already get beyond 10K steps even if I don't look at the thing, so why bother?  And I work out 5-6 days a week.  I'm underweight for my height as is and I have a very clean eating plan as is.  25K+ steps a day is INSANE.  I don't need that.

(edited)

How is everyone dealing, mental health-wise?  I hope being on lockdown isn't getting to you too much.  I've had my days - I lashed out a couple of times (not to my son), but things are otherwise good.  I'm trying to stay away from social, but it's hard when you co-host a podcast and need to be on to promote episode drops!!! 

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2020 at 2:23 PM, PRgal said:

How is everyone dealing, mental health-wise?  I hope being on lockdown isn't getting to you too much.  I've had my days - I lashed out a couple of times (not to my son), but things are otherwise good.  I'm trying to stay away from social, but it's hard when you co-host a podcast and need to be on to promote episode drops!!! 

Kind of same here. I'm physically healthy. My bills are paid. I know this is temporary. But I have those depressed days when I'm bored, lonely, miss everything and everyone. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, koelek said:

Ohhh man, stress, depression and anxiety, i think these 3 states actually describe me as a person. I don't know why, but i am really easily getting anxious or fall into depression. I been having this issues since childhood.

Aw, that's me too. *virtual hug* Have you tried talking to a therapist? I did for awhile, and while it didn't solve all my problems, I did find it useful. I'd still be going but trying to save money. I'm sure I'll go back sometime. The biggest game changer for me was discovering how truly powerful thinking positively can be. A lot of people dismiss it as kooky new age nonsense, but it helped me more than anything. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

I started seeing a therapist (virtually, of course).  I have to deal with my social anxiety (my fear of rejection from potential friends - he thinks I should try online mom sites...maybe see if there are any virtual toddler and parent classes) and how I often feel that I have to explain why I do things a certain way (since I worry about people criticizing me of appropriation/bastardizing my own heritage (i.e. being ashamed of my ancestry).  I even had to explain in a recent Instagram post featuring something I made for dinner).  

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1

Has he been on any online mom sites? They are not good for people who worry about people criticizing them for the way they do things. Heck, they're not good for people who don't have any social anxieties.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Has he been on any online mom sites? They are not good for people who worry about people criticizing them for the way they do things. Heck, they're not good for people who don't have any social anxieties.

We do parent/tot Zoom classes, and that's all.  But there's no real time to socialize with other parents.  I'm part of an official fan group for a mom podcast I listen to, but the moms seem to be normal, even for people like me.  I had to drop out of an app I had because I just did't "fit in" with the other (mostly) ladies. I feel like I need a group of ladies to do GDO (Girls' Day Out)/brunch with.  Right now, I don't have anyone, not even the ladies I do MY podcast with (one girl is seven months pregnant and will be REALLY BUSY next year and the other is busy with her own things.  There's one other co-host, but she lives out of town).  

On 2/25/2021 at 10:22 PM, itsmejerry04 said:

How to fight depression especially if you feel heavy because of the situation?

I’m taking SAM-e, and am reading You Will Get Through This Night.  I don’t really know what to suggest.  I’m either sleeping too much, or not enough. I could do with more fresh air, and exercise - and company.  

• Love 2

If I may be so bold...

I'm mostly a lurker on the forums but I'm knee-deep in this topic right now, taking time off from work after a fun bout of bipolar psychosis.  Anyway, two years ago, I participated in a documentary about this topic (led by Amanda Palmer) and it just came out.  Sharing here in the hopes that sharing stories lightens the load and builds connection.  (Not making money off the clicks or anything.)  Obvious trigger warnings re: mental health, suicide.    Oh and I'm the one with short blond hair, if you're curious.

• Love 6
On 6/23/2021 at 10:59 PM, Anela said:

I could do with more fresh air, and exercise - and company.  

Me too. Especially the "company" aspect. But the problem with that is finding "good" company. It's not an easy task. And I'm understanding, calm and tolerant with most people. 

So I guess I should just work on the fresh air and exercise.😊

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Me too. Especially the "company" aspect. But the problem with that is finding "good" company. It's not an easy task. And I'm understanding, calm and tolerant with most people. 

So I guess I should just work on the fresh air and exercise.😊

Same.  Unfortunately, I have a bit of social anxiety which makes it hard for me to make friends.  I have a lot of acquaintances, but I'm not sure if I'd say too many of them are "friends."  

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I have a lot of acquaintances, but I'm not sure if I'd say too many of them are "friends."  

Oh yeah, I can relate to THAT! And then I start wondering what might be wrong with ME that I can't form meaningful, lasting friendships. But I don't really think it's always me.

So many people are superficial anymore. It's very difficult to figure out who the acquaintances are, and who might be a true friend. I guess that takes alot of time and emotional investment. Which I have invested only to feel duped! 

Nonetheless, I will continue to be friendly but keep my guard up. If I meet one true friend out of 10 that aren't, it will be worth the effort.

But having anxiety adds another layer of complication to meeting and socializing with new people. 

I hope you find a way to get out there and take chances PRGAL! 

• Love 5

The winter and the pandemic have not been kind to me, and I imagine, many other people.  I basically don't go out other than for groceries and pharmacy (the only non-grocery trips I've had were for my booster and to pick up new contact lenses - I wear daily disposables and get enough for six months each time) and have kept my son home from preschool.  Good thing his teachers have been sending him activity kits.  It keeps him away from the screen, and me, somewhat sane.  But all he sees are me, my husband, his nanny and his grandparents (i.e. my parents).  We've taken him out for walks a few times, but our recent Snowmageddon has made it more challenging.  And my husband's junk food issue frustrates me to the core (we've only recently come to a compromise on our evening meals - after meeting with a dietitian (virtual appointment)).  Our gyms are closed until the end of the month (gee, THANKS, omicron!) so my main source of socialization does not exist right now.  At least I'm able to workout at home.  But working out at home only adds to my fitness addiction issue - I think I'm doing MORE than when I actually have a gym to go to.

• Love 2
On 1/24/2022 at 1:54 PM, PRgal said:

At least I'm able to workout at home.  But working out at home only adds to my fitness addiction issue - I think I'm doing MORE than when I actually have a gym to go to.

Maybe you could try MeetUp? Join a group that goes hiking or some such? That worked for me after I went a bit mental after a year of working at home and very little social contact.

• Love 2

I try to do okay, but the past two years have worn me down. I used to have a brunch group to socialize with, and thanks to the pandemic, it looks like that’s disbanded for good. All the friends I made in that group don’t even text me back or email me anymore. So my social life is nonexistent more or less, and it’s hard not to mad and frustrated because of it. And the advice I get during therapy—you can only control what you do and not what other people do—feels like useless horseshit at times. I just want things to get better.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I try to do okay, but the past two years have worn me down. I used to have a brunch group to socialize with, and thanks to the pandemic, it looks like that’s disbanded for good. All the friends I made in that group don’t even text me back or email me anymore. So my social life is nonexistent more or less, and it’s hard not to mad and frustrated because of it. And the advice I get during therapy—you can only control what you do and not what other people do—feels like useless horseshit at times. I just want things to get better.

Time to find a new therapist.

37 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Time to find a new therapist.

I can’t. She’s a very good therapist and I like her very much, even though I can only meet her via the phone at the moment. It’s not like I don’t get where she’s coming from; odds are that another therapist will feed me the same line.

So I've been keeping my son home from preschool since January as we're worried about the number of kids his age being hospitalized.  He doesn't do well without us or his grandparents.  And due to my health, it's difficult for me to stay with him overnight should he need to go to the hospital (I need to sleep properly).  However, I'm worried about his mental health and socialization skills.  He already hasn't had the experiences toddlers his age are SUPPOSED to have (which isn't abnormal for pandemic toddlers) and at least he doesn't NOT want to be outside (I know a lot of parents who say their toddlers don't want to go to the park or play with other kids now that things have started to open up).  I want him in swimming class, but we are still pretty hesitant to sign him up.  I'm doing a virtual art class with him right now, but we always check out early because he just doesn't want to do what the other kids are doing.  He would rather paint/cut and paste/draw with me.  And besides HIS mental well-being, this is also stressing ME out a great deal.  Anyone on the same boat?  

On 2/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, PRgal said:

So I've been keeping my son home from preschool since January as we're worried about the number of kids his age being hospitalized.  He doesn't do well without us or his grandparents.  And due to my health, it's difficult for me to stay with him overnight should he need to go to the hospital (I need to sleep properly).  However, I'm worried about his mental health and socialization skills.  He already hasn't had the experiences toddlers his age are SUPPOSED to have (which isn't abnormal for pandemic toddlers) and at least he doesn't NOT want to be outside (I know a lot of parents who say their toddlers don't want to go to the park or play with other kids now that things have started to open up).  I want him in swimming class, but we are still pretty hesitant to sign him up.  I'm doing a virtual art class with him right now, but we always check out early because he just doesn't want to do what the other kids are doing.  He would rather paint/cut and paste/draw with me.  And besides HIS mental well-being, this is also stressing ME out a great deal.  Anyone on the same boat?  

I’m not in your situation, but I do have a niece who has special needs and is not in a traditional school. She has substantial physical disabilities, in addition to intellectual. I worry about her development, socialization, academic growth, etc.  I have no control over it, but I’m not sure what I’d do if I did.  They have made mask optional, but she is high risk…..it’s a difficult thing to navigate.  Have you tried to connect online with other parents who are similarly situated?   

• Love 1
On 2/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, PRgal said:

However, I'm worried about his mental health and socialization skills. 

I would be if I were you.

If my children were that age, and had no underlying conditions that could make Covid-19 more serious for them, I would have them fully engaged in all normal activities the second they were available to them. My internal math would be "possibility of extremely unlikely serious Covid-19 illness" versus "almost certainty of mental, emotional, and developmental issues".

But I'm particularly sensitive to mental issues.  Everybody needs to do their own math their own way.

• Love 1

My therapist is leaving the psychology center where she works and because her new office is out of town, it looks like I’ll have to find a new one that is locally convenient. I hope she can get me a good referral but I’m still upset. She’s the only person I talk to on a regular basis and with her going I feel even more isolated.

But maybe getting a new one will be a good th8ng. Maybe I’ll get to do in person sessions again.

I'm sending my kid back to in-person preschool after March Break regardless of what my family thinks.  There's still quite a bit of pressure to keep him home.  I just can't anymore.  It's good for him to see people his age.  It's not just about being around people, it's about being around people HIS AGE, HIS PEERS.   He's also getting really restless and hyper, and really needs a place to let it all go, which is at school.  It'll give me a chance to recoop mentally speaking, too.

In other news, I'm openly acknowledging my fitness addiction (okay, I did a while back on Instagram, but am doing it again, this time on a podcast (dropping Tuesday, if you want to know)).  Since the pandemic, I've increased my workouts and step counts.  My body is probably really stressed and exhausted, likely contributing to brain fog and disrupted sleep.  Ugh.  So hard to reverse this!  And too many people don't know/see that this is a problem.  :( 

On 3/11/2022 at 3:46 PM, PRgal said:

I'm sending my kid back to in-person preschool after March Break regardless of what my family thinks.  There's still quite a bit of pressure to keep him home.  I just can't anymore.  It's good for him to see people his age.  It's not just about being around people, it's about being around people HIS AGE, HIS PEERS.   He's also getting really restless and hyper, and really needs a place to let it all go, which is at school.  It'll give me a chance to recoop mentally speaking, too.

Speaking as a grandmother while I tried to keep my opinions to myself I was very resistant when my son and his wife decided to send their two back to daycare.  There have been a few scares since then (poor kids have had more Covid tests then anyone I know outside the medical profession) however when they finally did get Covid it wasn't from daycare it was from a family member who unwittingly infected their family last week.  So my point?  You can keep them home and they will still get it!

On 3/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, Mittengirl said:

Can anyone recommend an OTC stress relief supplement?  I see so many things advertised, but I am skeptical about whether or not they work.  And they sure aren’t cheap.

I would ask the pharmacist. I don't think a TV board is the best place to find good information about that. 

22 hours ago, supposebly said:

I would ask the pharmacist. I don't think a TV board is the best place to find good information about that. 

Believe me, I have asked multiple pharmacists.  None will admit to having personal experience with any particular brand and I am skeptical that the advice I am getting isn’t biased towards certain brands for financial reasons.   

I am just curious about what may have worked for others.

• Love 1

Medical websites?

I take CBD to help me sleep. I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect or actually helps but for most nights when I would be turning in bed for hours, I fall asleep much faster.

All you will get here is waht works for someone. That doesn't mean it will work for you.

Edited by supposebly
18 hours ago, supposebly said:

Medical websites?

I take CBD to help me sleep. I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect or actually helps but for most nights when I would be turning in bed for hours, I fall asleep much faster.

All you will get here is waht works for someone. That doesn't mean it will work for you.

I have looked at medical websites.  Many websites. Too many websites? 🤷‍♀️

I am just curious about what other people have tried and what has and hasn’t worked.

I have considered the placebo effect, as well.  It seems that those of my acquaintance who are, so to speak, pro herbal/natural supplements seem convinced they work, but those who were skeptical going in are far less satisfied.  Placebo effect?  Or did the non-believers quit taking them before they had a chance to work?  I haven’t been able to figure that out, yet.  My gut instinct is that if you believe that taking Product A will make you feel less stressed, then you will feel less stressed.  Me, I am skeptical.  Of many things.  Maybe that is partly why I am stressed.  If only I could convince myself that something healthful, like kale, or cheap, like water, would help.

2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

If only I could convince myself that something healthful, like kale, or cheap, like water, would help.

How about taking a walk? I joined a leisurely walking group in the second year of the pandemic because my anxiety just went through the roof after a year of working from home. Life saver.

One day per week, maybe for an hour. Or 15 minutes per day. Just walk. Breathe. Look around.

Nothing is cheaper. And that is guaranteed to help. Or at least not hurt.

• Love 1

It's been more than two years since I got rid of my Fitbit and I think I'm STILL addicted to fitness.  If I don't get x number of steps (usually way more than the supposed 10K.  Think 15K or more) plus at least half an hour of exercise of some kind, then I'm not "complete."  However, I think this is getting into my sleep.  I fall asleep easily (thanks, Calm app!!!) but I find myself waking up at around 5 am and not being able to get back to sleep because I'm worried that I'll sleep through my alarm and won't have time for my 10 minute pre-getting out of bed meditation session.  Or get x number of steps in before my son wakes up.  Any tips on this?  

(edited)

Those of you who’ve dealt with depression, any advice?

I’ve tried being more active, recently started counseling, try to be positive, am trying to be more social, but I keep breaking down. I know it’s going to get better soon, but in the meantime I’m struggling so badly. I keep trying not to cry. I know a lot of it is loneliness and being single so many years. I’d get on an antidepressant, but I have legit stuff to be depressed about. 

As an introvert who’s always been very independent, I’ve become needy. I can hardly stay at the house or do anything alone anymore. My mind constantly goes from worrying about my parents as they’re getting older to people I miss that I don’t see as much since Covid. I feel like I just need to become a more active, social person. But it’s trickier than I realized. I’ll go into the office to work, and there aren’t many people there. I’ll try to sign up for a cooking class, and I’m sick or busy with something when a vegetarian one is available. I’m still scared of Covid with stuff like dance class. 

I’ll be out doing something fun, and a sad song will really get to me. Or I’ll think of someone or an event I miss or how I wish what i’m doing would last forever. I’ve become even more nostalgic than usual and quite sappy. The good thing is I’ve gotten better with telling people how much I care for them during all this. I also understand those who go nuts when they’re single better. I never really got that before unless it was a breakup type situation. I guess anxiety and other issues were bigger problems. Haven’t gotten over them, but now I just want to find love one way or another despite my issues. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

I’d get on an antidepressant, but I have legit stuff to be depressed about. 

I'm not sure what you meant by the quoted sentence. The way you've described how you're feeling it sounds like an antidepressant might help and don't strip people of all their feelings.

They've helped to get me through some very rough times in my life especially the grief I dealt with when it actually hit which was made even more intense a year after my Mom died because of other things that were occurring in Nov. of 2016.  Events happening this year have made it even more scary to be a woman, trans person and any other kind of person that doesn't fit into or conform into what a big chunk of society thinks of as "normal". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm not sure what you meant by the quoted sentence. The way you've described how you're feeling it sounds like an antidepressant might help and don't strip people of all their feelings.

They've helped to get me through some very rough times in my life especially the grief I dealt with when it actually hit which was made even more intense a year after my Mom died because of other things that were occurring in Nov. of 2016.  Events happening this year have made it even more scary to be a woman, trans person and any other kind of person that doesn't fit into or conform into what a big chunk of society thinks of as "normal". 

Oh I have family and friends who have benefitted greatly from them. I’m not against them at all. I just don’t know if I’m ready for them yet. I wonder if I address the stuff that depresses me more, if that will be enough to get me out of this. I feel like I have to work on my life more. If I do and still feel this way, I will get on the antidepressants. If I knew it were a chemical imbalance issue, I’d just start taking them. I’m not a mental health professional, so I could obviously be wrong in this approach, but we’ll see. 

• Love 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh I have family and friends who have benefitted greatly from them. I’m not against them at all. I just don’t know if I’m ready for them yet. I wonder if I address the stuff that depresses me more, if that will be enough to get me out of this. I feel like I have to work on my life more. If I do and still feel this way, I will get on the antidepressants. If I knew it were a chemical imbalance issue, I’d just start taking them. I’m not a mental health professional, so I could obviously be wrong in this approach, but we’ll see. 

I'm taking my response to this to the health and wellness thread since this is essentially a mental health discussion.

The post can be found here.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I probably should have suggested counseling too.  I've seen other posts you've made lately describing how you've been feeling and things you've been through. It sounds like it might be time to bring in some outside help in dealing with things. 

@Yeah No's post that she moved made a lot of good points too. She put into words what I was thinking but fumbled at expressing. Depression has been kicking my ass for quite awhile here lately.

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

36 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Determining whether you would benefit from taking antidepressants should arise out of a discussion between you and a therapist.  You won't be able to get them anyway until a qualified professional prescribes them for you.  And the way you figure out whether they will help you or not is by talking with the therapist.  It's not really a decision you can or should make by yourself, especially if you are depressed and might not be that objective about yourself. 

I've been on antidepressants before and in my case my therapist and I came to the mutual decision that I would be depressed whether or not I made changes in my life, and actually the depression was holding me back from feeling up to making positive changes so the antidepressants actually helped me to stop feeling held back.  If you are actually clinically depressed you may never be able to get up the energy and motivation to work on making positive changes, and then it becomes a vicious circle.  When you're depressed you may think about doing all these positive things but somehow you never seem to do them because the depression is holding you back.  So that makes you even more depressed and more unable to make those changes, wash, rinse, repeat.  So the antidepressants can actually help you break that cycle, get past that blockage and feel more optimistic and able to get up and do the things you think about doing.  And it actually works better if you're seeing a therapist at the same time, in my opinion, not just going to them to get the meds.  But again, this is something you need to discuss with a therapist before you decide whether meds. are what you need right now.  Even if you decide they're not, therapy all by itself may help you to get past whatever is blocking you from making positive changes.  Again, a decision best made with a good therapist.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Determining whether you would benefit from taking antidepressants should arise out of a discussion between you and a therapist.  You won't be able to get them anyway until a qualified professional prescribes them for you.  And the way you figure out whether they will help you or not is by talking with the therapist.  It's not really a decision you can or should make by yourself, especially if you are depressed and might not be that objective about yourself. 

I've been on antidepressants before and in my case my therapist and I came to the mutual decision that I would be depressed whether or not I made changes in my life, and actually the depression was holding me back from feeling up to making positive changes so the antidepressants actually helped me to stop feeling held back.  If you are actually clinically depressed you may never be able to get up the energy and motivation to work on making positive changes, and then it becomes a vicious circle.  When you're depressed you may think about doing all these positive things but somehow you never seem to do them because the depression is holding you back.  So that makes you even more depressed and more unable to make those changes, wash, rinse, repeat.  So the antidepressants can actually help you break that cycle, get past that blockage and feel more optimistic and able to get up and do the things you think about doing.  And it actually works better if you're seeing a therapist at the same time, in my opinion, not just going to them to get the meds.  But again, this is something you need to discuss with a therapist before you decide whether meds. are what you need right now.  Even if you decide they're not, therapy all by itself may help you to get past whatever is blocking you from making positive changes.  Again, a decision best made with a good therapist.

I just started, and I don’t know if she can prescribe medication. I was wanting to go to one who could in case, but I’ve had a hard time finding one. I’ve vented about that on here before. 

All of that makes perfect sense. I’ll see what my therapist thinks, and I’ll get a new one of this one can’t help me. I’m trying to make positive changes. It’s just not as easy as I thought it would be. In the past, positive thinking books helped me tremendously, but it just isn’t enough anymore. But I have tried to take better care of myself lately. I know I can’t repeat the same patterns and expect a different result. 

Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience with me on here. I really do appreciate it. 

49 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I don’t know if she can prescribe medication. I was wanting to go to one who could in case, but I’ve had a hard time finding one.

It's pretty common for therapists who can't prescribe meds to have a relationship with a psychiatrist who's willing to do so when warranted. You should ask your therapist about that.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

@RealHousewife I was on Zoloft for a time years ago. It didn’t necessarily make things “better”, it made it so my thought process was strengthened, if that makes sense. Instead of 20 things coming at me at once, with no clarity, it gave me a balance. Decision making was definitely improved. I felt the difference and it was apparent to others, also. It’s not a drug to make you forget, it doesn’t make you loopy, or anything like that.

@RealHousewife, like @ginger90, some years ago I was on various medications for depression, anxiety, etc. 
After a lot of trial and error, I stayed on one for about 3 years that allowed me to wake up in the morning without a feeling of tenseness in my stomach, despite going to work with an emotionally abusive supervisor. 
During those times I "learned" what it was like to feel "normal." 
Eventually I went off of the medication because of the side effects, but the therapy I had during that time in combination with the relief afforded by the medication have continued all these years later to help me cope with the many stresses of life.

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I just started, and I don’t know if she can prescribe medication. I was wanting to go to one who could in case, but I’ve had a hard time finding one. I’ve vented about that on here before. 

I actually did have one of those rare psychiatrists who was also a therapist, but that was only because this was before health insurance companies were required to cover more than a handful of sessions per year. 

• Useful 1

Back in the '80's, I was in therapy and because of my depression, I was resistant to the suggestions of my therapist. She finally put  me on a low dose of an antidepressant (they called it a baby dose). After a week, I stopped feeling so overwhelmed by life and could accept suggestions on how to change some negative things I was doing (like always belittling my rather cool achievements!) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/28/2022 at 2:25 PM, Mittengirl said:

Believe me, I have asked multiple pharmacists.  None will admit to having personal experience with any particular brand and I am skeptical that the advice I am getting isn’t biased towards certain brands for financial reasons.   

I am just curious about what may have worked for others.

My Mother told me if I ever become blue, get on my hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor.  In other words, work it out.  So, I guess she meant exercise.  I have come to believe that women’s hormones are the cause of all that ails women.  I’m old and am finished with menopause, but around the tenth of each month, I feel tired, crabby, close to tears, aching all over, and nervous.  I may take a half of a relaxer if needed.  A woman Doctor understands and might give you a script.  My Primary Care does.  Try one if you can.  It might help.  Good Luck.   It just pisses me off that the rich and famous get anything they want.  They get many kinds of drugs for whatever ails them in a heartbeat.  We, the peons have to scrap and beg for things that would help us, and it’s just not fair.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 1

I am so bad at taking supplements, though. It seems like I was just piling them in, at some point (liquid, or powder added to something), so I need to simplify. 

I have been taking SAM-e liquid, most days. I deal with depression, a lot. 

• Sad 1
On 5/20/2022 at 5:46 PM, kristen111 said:

My Mother told me if I ever become blue, get on my hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor. 

My uncle was sent to a place that actually handled depression this way, when he was a teenager. He was made to get up and do things, if they missed breakfast, they weren't given something else. They had to keep busy.

I need to get outside, or be distracted. I will get even more overwhelmed, if I'm having to scrub things, and remain in the house. I've tried. 

I'm with you on the rich getting to do whatever they want, though. I'd love to just be able to go and stay somewhere for a while. Hire some help, if I can't do something. One of my dogs can't walk, so it looks like we won't be making the two-hour drive to Lake Erie, every so often. One of two things I looked forward to, this Spring and Summer (the other being the drive-in: our van with the FM radio, has broken down, so I can't go to the drive-in). 

Covid still raging, isn't helping my mental health, either. I'd love to just go to the movies, but there is no way, as long as this is going on. I am still trying not to get sick. I've seen more people talking about Long Covid, all over the internet. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Anela said:

My uncle was sent to a place that actually handled depression this way, when he was a teenager. He was made to get up and do things, if they missed breakfast, they weren't given something else. They had to keep busy.

I need to get outside, or be distracted. I will get even more overwhelmed, if I'm having to scrub things, and remain in the house. I've tried. 

I'm with you on the rich getting to do whatever they want, though. I'd love to just be able to go and stay somewhere for a while. Hire some help, if I can't do something. One of my dogs can't walk, so it looks like we won't be making the two-hour drive to Lake Erie, every so often. One of two things I looked forward to, this Spring and Summer (the other being the drive-in: our van with the FM radio, has broken down, so I can't go to the drive-in). 

Covid still raging, isn't helping my mental health, either. I'd love to just go to the movies, but there is no way, as long as this is going on. I am still trying not to get sick. I've seen more people talking about Long Covid, all over the internet. 

I am rarely depressed.  Yes, blue sometimes, but get over it quickly, thank goodness.  My fix is to get out of the house, to a store, or better yet in nature.  Getting out does wonders.lately, with Covid tho, it’s harder.  Plus, it seems like everyone is working virtual, so roads are more crowded and maniacs are driving, weaving in n out.  I’m still wearing the mask if I go out .. lots of people are not.

My husband retired would stay in the house and watch sports forever, so I have to drag him out to go somewhere.  Nothing bothers him.  I need fresh air.  Where to go .. that’s the problem.   My mother was European and had no life.  Worked all her life, never went anywhere, never drove.  Always in the house cooking.  Not me.  Life is too short.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
On 4/3/2022 at 1:58 PM, PRgal said:

It's been more than two years since I got rid of my Fitbit and I think I'm STILL addicted to fitness.  If I don't get x number of steps (usually way more than the supposed 10K.  Think 15K or more) plus at least half an hour of exercise of some kind, then I'm not "complete."  However, I think this is getting into my sleep.  I fall asleep easily (thanks, Calm app!!!) but I find myself waking up at around 5 am and not being able to get back to sleep because I'm worried that I'll sleep through my alarm and won't have time for my 10 minute pre-getting out of bed meditation session.  Or get x number of steps in before my son wakes up.  Any tips on this?  

NO.  Taking care and chasing your Son is your exercise, lol.  Whether it’s one, two or three kids, it’s tending to them, driving to stores, cleaning, making dinner, etc., etc. .. that’s your exercise.  The only time I had 15 minutes to myself to unwind, meditate, was in the bubble bath at night.  Even then, my Son would bang on the door crying to come in.  Motherhood means no time to yourself, but it’s not a bad thing.  They grow up very fast and are adorable and precious.  😀😊