Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Part 14

paigow

Okay, so Diane and Jane-E are half sisters, Sarah Palmer can now pull her face off and we have a kid from London who wears a glove and can crushes things with his hand.  I can't wait to see how this all plays out.  I hope we get Laura back in some form before this ends.  The burning question for me is who ate that bug.  I'm betting it was Sarah Palmer.

Edited by uoflfan
  • Love 3

I was at a Brewery last night, the night shift brewery. It's theme, logo and decorations are owls. Nice place but I found myself a little creeped out.  Owls: no longer to be trusted! Great location for a fan film, though   

The glove also a physical manifestation of the lodges. Yes   

if Laura comes back Sarah may see her which would be only one of the surrealist noir moments in our futures.  

• Love 1

Trippy episode. I like it when the bulk of the episode is in TP.  Happy Andy was the one.

I was bewildered that they did so little to protect the eyeless woman.

So negligent!

I was chuffed with myself when I immediately understood, 'snapped his Gregory' despite never having heard the expression before. Peck=Neck

Still finding Cole amusing in the extreme, even if the long pauses have been done a million times.

Grace Zabriskie - Well!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, insubordination said:

I was chuffed with myself when I immediately understood, 'snapped his Gregory' despite never having heard the expression before. Peck=Neck

Hey! I understood from contest but didn't actually make the connection. 

On 8/15/2017 at 11:20 AM, scrb said:

Does David Lynch take drugs?

Maybe; I doubt anybody comes up with ideas like this off that first cup of coffee in the morning, regardless of how damn good it is.  ;)

Of course, there's another possibility with interesting metaphysical implications: if you spend your entire adult life thinking outside the box, does the box cease to exist?

22 hours ago, Ottis said:

Nope, I was sure it was Josie and only Josie.

Funny; I never mentally entertained the notion of a Naido=Josie equivalence; primarily because so far as I recall, nothing in TP:TR has referenced Josie Packard at all.  Story-line-wise, Josie is still screaming in the furniture at the Great Northern.  

IMHO the original TP run strongly suggested BOB intended such to be Josie's eternal prison and torment; she didn't even rate entrapment in the Black Lodge.  If such was the case I'd expect Josie's pine-based imprisonment to endure unless/until something happens which destroys BOB's power, or severely weakens it at the very least.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lemons said:

In the first episode the giant tells cooper to listen to the sounds. Then sounds come out of an old record plAyer. Are those the same sounds that the eyeless woman is making?

IIRC the record player sounds were the whiny-staticky crackling electric sounds which signal proximity to a Lodge portal.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

IIRC the record player sounds were the whiny-staticky crackling electric sounds which signal proximity to a Lodge portal.

I never knew that's what they were.  I'm watching the episodes again because I can't remember anything and I'm really slow to pick up on things.

• Love 2
On 8/16/2017 at 0:41 PM, Nashville said:

IMHO the original TP run strongly suggested BOB intended such to be Josie's eternal prison and torment; she didn't even rate entrapment in the Black Lodge.  If such was the case I'd expect Josie's pine-based imprisonment to endure unless/until something happens which destroys BOB's power, or severely weakens it at the very least.

Also the Great Northern is humming which might indicate she is still in there.

I'm hoping for the pine weasel to do a cameo!

• Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 1:21 AM, Pete Martell said:

I was bewildered that they did so little to protect the eyeless woman. I'll be surprised if she makes it out of the next episode alive. 

I wonder if she is down there for another reason, if the giant directed it, because I can't imagine why leaving her alone in the cell in the basement of the sheriff's station is going to protect her.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Affogato said:

I wonder if she is down there for another reason, if the giant directed it, because I can't imagine why leaving her alone in the cell in the basement of the sheriff's station is going to protect her.

I'm worried for her, because we've been shown from the start that jail cells provide approximately zero protection from the Woodsmen.

Speaking of which: did the banged up drunk with echolalia in Cell One remind anybody else of a Woodsman, appearance-wise.

• Love 3
On 8/17/2017 at 5:54 PM, Nashville said:

I'm worried for her, because we've been shown from the start that jail cells provide approximately zero protection from the Woodsmen.

Speaking of which: did the banged up drunk with echolalia in Cell One remind anybody else of a Woodsman, appearance-wise.

Yes, could be another real world manifestation of the lodges. Not the real Billy. The real Billy with something missing.  And. If Tina is real does that mean Audrey is in the real world? 

Thinking of Lucy who is connected to the modern sheriffs office by an analog  phone. Switchboard takes most calls. Really in another world., too  

Did Ed remember James birthday?

Does anyone think there is a connection between the woodsmen ("gotta light?") and the characters who chain smoke in literally every single scene - Grace and Diane? I mean, Grace's chain smoking has been part of the series since the pilot and remarked on by Donna in FWWM. Diane smokes so much that it has become distracting to me, kind of like Don and Betty on Mad Men, but on that show, it was done to make a historical point. Here, I wonder if Lynch is showing us a connection, especially given Grace's face-ripping and Diane's shadiness.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Does anyone think there is a connection between the woodsmen ("gotta light?") and the characters who chain smoke in literally every single scene - Grace and Diane? I mean, Grace's chain smoking has been part of the series since the pilot and remarked on by Donna in FWWM. Diane smokes so much that it has become distracting to me, kind of like Don and Betty on Mad Men, but on that show, it was done to make a historical point. Here, I wonder if Lynch is showing us a connection, especially given Grace's face-ripping and Diane's shadiness.

(Your post confused the heck out of me until I realized (I think) that by "Grace" you mean "Sarah Palmer."  I was trying to remember who "Grace" was!)

Good observation.  In Diane's case, she also drinks like a sailor on shore leave, so I'm interpreting both the drinking and smoking (and, come to think of it, all the "fuck yous") as part of her coping mechanisms since whatever unspecified bad thing BobCooper did to her that final night she saw him 25 years ago.  I don't think the Diane we see in The Return is the same Diane who was on the receiving end of Cooper's recordings in 1990. :( 

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 2
On August 20, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Penman61 said:

(Your post confused the heck out of me until I realized (I think) that by "Grace" you mean "Sarah Palmer."  I was trying to remember who "Grace" was!)

Shoot! Sorry, I had the actress's name in my head instead! 

On 8/13/2017 at 6:46 PM, Giant Misfit said:

ETA another: Lucy said she and Andy went to Bora Bora once. That ain't a cheap trip (at least from the East Coast)! First a Rolex, now a trip to Bora Bora. Crazy. 

Besides savings, what else would they be spending their money on? Have a good vacation once in a while.

On 8/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Also interesting, the British security guard said he realized walking home from the pub that night that he just wanted "to do good in the world." And moments later, he's with the Fireman receiving his instructions on how, I presume, he can accomplish just that. I was surprised that the Fireman was so non-mysterious with his instructions though. I mean, he's been cryptic as hell with Cooper and pretty much laid out whole path to that kid's life with nary an extraneous word.

I was watching an episode of Twin Peaks The Return one day in my living room, and my roommate joined me to drink a few beers. He likes sci fi and fantasy  but prefers less weird stuff like Stephen King and Anne McCaffrey and such. As we were watching I found myself explaining the plot in simpler terms because he was in the middle of it and wasn't interested in any of the weird stuff. But as I'm explaining each scene in Stephen King Terms; "That guy's a doppelganger of the good guy" "the good guy is trapped from coming back to the real world" "the doppelganger has a demon inside of him" "they work for the bad guy" I realize Twin Peaks is much simpler if you just mentally PowerPoint it lol

On 8/13/2017 at 9:22 PM, Aerobicidal said:

I don't recall ever hearing about tulpa aside from on The X-Files, which I've always thought is sort of a less cool, way more prolific attempt to channel Twin Peaks (but with some very good episodes).

I watched X-Files when it aired but I forgot about the tulpa thing. The first time I can consciously remember a story about a tulpa was in a little indie comic called Doktor Sleepless which only ran for eight issues beforfe it petered out, but it had *so much promise* :wah: 

On 8/13/2017 at 11:13 PM, jsbt said:

It is his most imperfect self run rampant, yet it is all also deeply pertinent to his work - the Bellucci dream goes from comical to quickly hypnotic, fascinating and foreboding as the music builds, and then Cole sees himself in the past, young, "long ago", like so many on the show - and then he and Albert sink back into the dream/memory unsteadily, as they remember Jeffries' words about Cooper which have spooked me for over 20 years. I love it.

I always picture Lynch directing scenes as his Gordon Cole persona; "OK MONICA I WANT YOU TO DRINK THE COFFEE AND ACT LIKE EVERYTHING IS OK. BUT IT ISN'T OK. SECRETLY YOU'RE HIDING SOMETHING. MAYBE IT'S JUST A PERSONAL THING YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE. NOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT. NOW LEAN FORWARD AND SHOW SOME CLEAVAGE. PERFECT! LET'S SHOOT! ACTION!" 

On 8/14/2017 at 2:31 PM, Affogato said:

I think she was in the universal subwoofer.

This is the best analysis of this show yet. I love it <3 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PatternRec said:

I always picture Lynch directing scenes as his Gordon Cole persona; "OK MONICA I WANT YOU TO DRINK THE COFFEE AND ACT LIKE EVERYTHING IS OK. BUT IT ISN'T OK. SECRETLY YOU'RE HIDING SOMETHING. MAYBE IT'S JUST A PERSONAL THING YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE. NOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT. NOW LEAN FORWARD AND SHOW SOME CLEAVAGE. PERFECT! LET'S SHOOT! ACTION!" 

He directs with a megaphone, so you may not be far off...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PatternRec said:

Besides savings, what else would they be spending their money on?

Chairs! And gas money for Wally. 

5 hours ago, PatternRec said:

I was watching an episode of Twin Peaks The Return one day in my living room, and my roommate joined me to drink a few beers. He likes sci fi and fantasy  but prefers less weird stuff like Stephen King and Anne McCaffrey and such. As we were watching I found myself explaining the plot in simpler terms because he was in the middle of it and wasn't interested in any of the weird stuff. But as I'm explaining each scene in Stephen King Terms; "That guy's a doppelganger of the good guy" "the good guy is trapped from coming back to the real world" "the doppelganger has a demon inside of him" "they work for the bad guy" I realize Twin Peaks is much simpler if you just mentally PowerPoint it'll

As a child I saw Blood of a Poet and thought it made perfect sense. Art tortures artists over and over. It isn't rocket science!?it just uses images. Metaphors. 

Lynch makes the same kind of sense to me. Ed and Norma are as important, more, than the lodges because at the end of the day good and evil are transmitted by small acts of love. Or abuse. That's why it matters. So the emotional weight is much more important than the tangled skein of mythos. 

Yeah, I think you have it!

love the visuals and the soundtrack, though. 

• Love 2