Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Flesh and Blood/S04.E11: Tales from the Island

Drogo
  • Start Topic

As time presses on and temperatures drop, the final teams grapple with a strong desire to tap out; however, the $500,000 prize is hard to give up on, and the participants push themselves until one reaches the breaking point.

Pete was a rock star. Sam is a hell of a guy. Hated this ending. If anyone had told me Team Tarp would win this thing, I would have laughed in their face.

This season needs to be taken out back and shot. 

• Love 20

I was worried about Pete.  I wanted him and Sam to win but I'm glad they went home when they did, that collapse was scary. 

I'm not surprised the Bairds won, I thought they were going to.  They had the winning strategy - eat and rest, that's it.  I didn't dislike them, so good for them.

Everyone lost so much weight.  The show need to rethink itself.  The only winner I remember who seemed to be comfortably managing was Dave.  Alan had his limpets but Dave had crabs and had settled in for the long haul.

Maybe it's the editing? All the winners lost weight but this season and last, there seemed to be more emphasis on starvation and health.  Not the show I want to see.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Was it Ted who was saying 'I can do anything!" when Jim did everything?

I thought Ted was the one who did all the foraging?  I could be wrong though I think Jim is the taller one.

Crappy winners for a Crappy season.  But I've been worried abt Pete for a few episodes.  He & Sam are just a joy to watch.

Not even bothering w/the reunion.  Somebody give me an update on Shannon.

I wish Mike had applied for this season, along w/Barbara.  They'd still be out there!

• Love 6
Just now, roamyn said:

Not even bothering w/the reunion.  Somebody give me an update on Shannon.

They are only focusing on the final 3 teams. The others don't count, I guess.

1 minute ago, raven said:

I thought Ted was the one who did all the foraging?  I could be wrong though I think Jim is the taller one.

Jim ended up doing most of the work because Ted had the stomach issues.

• Love 1

Is it just me or where there massive time jumps? Were these four so boring that they could not show more of what they were doing? 

Awful season with an awful ending. The dudes with the least skills who were asses won? They had the do nothing and outlast strategy. Boring, not fun to watch and just blllleeeehhhh.

Sam and Pete looked like they had a great set up but I wonder why we didn't see more of their buidling it. I saw the ending and decided I didn't need to watch the episode.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Is it just me or where there massive time jumps? Were these four so boring that they could not show more of what they were doing?

No, not just you, they went about a month in one episode. This entire season has been a bust.

• Love 9

Yeah I was expecting the last tap to be day 60 or something and I see "Day 74" what the hell?   What we saw was boring, I can imagine how dull the stuff is that ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Love 3

I do't understand why my husband insists on talking while I am watching a TV show. He is normally a quiet guy but I actually pay attention to and he decides to have a full on conversation.

Any way, the season was so awful they only brought back the last three teams. I watched the first two and deleted the episode when the brothers came on.

Awful

And he just sat down with the computer to discuss baseball tickets.

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 3

All of the magic from season 1 and isolated moments from other seasons was missing in this season. For many contestants, the "aloneness" caused them to go inward and self-reflect on really deep levels. The camera became a diary to their souls. THAT was the part that made this show unique from other competition reality shows. Many contestants bonded with nature and themselves, their spirituality, and shared it with us. That quiet reflection was truly awesome and possibly caused the viewers to self-reflect as well. I hope next season goes back to singles. 

• Love 11

I actually liked the Butt Brothers a little better during this episode but I'm still gravely disappointed that Pete and Sam didn't win.  I hope Pete finds a way to buy his boat anyway.

I always wonder if the family member(s) sneaking up on the winner is staged.  It seems to me that anyone who has been out in the woods that long would be attuned to someone else coming through the underbrush no matter how quietly they were walking.  

I'd like to know how much time elapses between the end of the show and the "reunion."  Everyone looked much, much better so it must be more than a couple weeks.

Apparently some people who have already been on the show will be coming back for the next season and it won't be on Vancouver Island.  That's all I was able to glean from the preview.

• Love 6

My favorites have not always won, but this is the first time someone who I really did not want to win won.  Kind of takes the wind out of the sails, killed a lot of the interest I had in the reunion show, which I haven't watched yet.  I have to admit the Bairds deserved to win though.  They got through their rocky patch, and Jim took up the slack when Ted went down sick.  It does appear though that they got very fortunate on their location, that rocky beach seemed to have a never ending supply of limpets and gunnel fish.  I'm not sure why they were "starving" when they seemed to have at least a bucket of food every day.   I'm sure they weren't getting all their nutrients though.   In comparison, it looked like the Brockdorffs had to get most of their food from fishing.  

Early on, it looked like the team concept would lead to a short season.  But the Bairds stayed out there for 75 days, which is the longest time anyone has spent on Vancouver Island.  I think the season 3 winner spent 87 days in Patagonia.

Kudos to the Brockdorffs, it looked like they left everything on the table, you have to respect that.  And as Sam said, Pete at 61, spending 74 days out there, was quite a feat.

• Love 5

Ha! Finally Canucks won in Alone!!! Spent Christmas and New Year in VI wow! I don't care about their shelter it worked for them, they have rocks to warm them up ?The fish under the rocks saved them ?And why do we have to wait 1 month for the reunion???

• Love 4

I agree with those who say this was the worst winner and a terrible season, but I'm not going to knock Jim and Ted for their shelter. Megan from last season had a pretty terrible shelter and she lasted 78 days... Alone. Alan's from S1 was also pretty basic and he won. 

But, overall just a disappointment. Even the editing sucked. How do you spend 9 episodes covering half a season then skip ahead 30-40 days in the last one? 

• Love 6

I'm disappointed. Frankly what I learned from this season is that actual survival skills beyond "find food, don't fall in the water or fire, and don't break any bones" don't mean anything for this show. The Bairds literally had fewer survival skills than my elementary school brownie troop. And yes, I used the word literally correctly.

Megan's shelter didn't bother me last season. It was minimal, but she used the tarp to create walls to block the wind and hold some body heat in. The Bairds had no walls and complained about the wind. IMO, one of those shelters was minimalist and the other was built by bleeping morons with no common sense.

I mean, congrats to them for having the staying power, but it sure wasn't because they had any knowledge whatsoever. Being big, young guys really worked for them in this case.

Meh, I say. Meh.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, piequinn35 said:

Ha! Finally Canucks won in Alone!!! Spent Christmas and New Year in VI wow! I don't care about their shelter it worked for them, they have rocks to warm them up ?The fish under the rocks saved them ?And why do we have to wait 1 month for the reunion???

The reunion show already aired. It just had the final 3 couples.

• Love 2

Watching this season was like going through 70 days of mental and physical torture 

4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

This is typical for the finale. The penultimate episode always ends with 3rd place tapping out. So, however long the last two teams are out there, that's how much time they have to cover in the finale. This time Brooke tapped on day 50, so they had to squeeze 25 more days (another half season) into 30 minutes, to leave time for the retrospective and final tap and victory. 

I think part of the failure here is the season started the latest of all seasons and that lead to the real dearth of food.  No one tried mouse meat though. 

And for those who stated that the married couple had the best site, well, they didn't have the land of limpets. I saw their land had a flat beach and steep areas, unlike the rock limpet land. 

• Love 1

Without checking the on-screen guide, I flipped the channel at 10pm to catch "Alone" --- only to see that last 3 minutes of the Boob Brothers winning.  Ugh.

I didn't even bother to watch the reunion show.

What a disappointing mess of a season.  The producers better rethink that "Not Alone" business and go back to their original concept.

• Love 5

Next season will be in a new location but with Retreads.

Alone Season 5: Retreads...I'll Try Harder This Time... Honest...

Will be severely disappointed if the next cast contains any of the young punks that bailed and tapped within 24 hours of drop off this past season

• Love 7

Is it just me or did the weather not play as big a factor this season?  Usually the snow falls and the food disappears, but there didn't seem to be much of that going on.  Was this season filmed at a different time of year than the others?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Vicky8675309 said:

The reunion show already aired. It just had the final 3 couples.

That was not the reunion, that was tales from the island, the reunion is on Sept 17th. I don't know why we have to wait for 1 month.

Was I hallucinating on the reunion on Sept 17th? different show? 

39 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Is it just me or did the weather not play as big a factor this season?  Usually the snow falls and the food disappears, but there didn't seem to be much of that going on.  Was this season filmed at a different time of year than the others?

It was from Oct - Jan.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, dustoffmom said:

So what time period were the previous seasons?  I recall them being about the same time frame.  Wasn't Nicole (?) gathering all sorts of plants and berries when she first arrived?

Maybe it was just a mild winter.  

Nicole definitely gathered a lot  of plants, but by the time she tapped out, everything was frozen and she couldn't forage anymore.

• Love 1

Isn't it a bit early to be having a redemption season after only 4 seasons. I mean, even Survivor waited longer than that to start bringing back returning players. I fear it will again take the bloom off the rose, as half of the show is watching the people adjust to the realization of just how hard it will be.  

Well, I know most people hated the brothers, but based on the unseen footage of them from the after-show, you were probably lucky to see so much of them fighting, cuz if you had to watch them doing dude comedy and pulling faces into the camera for 75 days, you probably would have hated them even more. 

• Love 5

Assumed it is the Producers of Alone asking for Redemption...since they ruined a great show that was universally praised by critics and loved by people on forums like this one.

Cheaper to have a Retreads season since the redos have already been vetted and through the training.

• Love 6