Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Shabby to Chic

Anne Burrell and Rachael Ray play a unique taste and describe game with the celebrity recruits, which get them a little "hot under the collar." After testing their taste buds, the mentors demonstrate hors d'oeuvres, which their recruits must replicate exactly, as well as make their own. The two celebrities with the worst dishes go head-to-head in an elimination challenge.

One of the things that turned me away from the regular show, and annoys me even more in the celebrity edition even though I still watch, is when the contestants do these exaggerated "What on earth?  It's so unfamiliar I can't even recite the word back after hearing it" reactions to ingredients that are not remotely unusual.  That they've never cooked with them may be believable, but never eaten them in restaurants or others' homes to know what they are or have so much as heard of them before?  Please, especially when we're dealing with people who have the money and access to eat better than most.  Tonight it was shiitake and cremini mushrooms.  Like they've never seen those on a menu!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

One of the things that turned me away from the regular show, and annoys me even more in the celebrity edition even though I still watch, is when the contestants do these exaggerated "What on earth?  It's so unfamiliar I can't even recite the word back after hearing it" reactions to ingredients that are not remotely unusual.  That they've never cooked with may be believable, but never eaten them in restaurants or others' homes to know what they are or have so much as heard of them before?  Please, especially when we're dealing with people who have the money and access to eat better than most.  Tonight it was shiitake and cremini mushrooms.  Like they've never seen those on a menu!

I agree. They've eaten at nice restaurants, award banquets, and charity events. They must be familiar with some of these things. On the flip side, our current president who is a billionaire orders aged steaks well-done and covers them with ketchup because they are so dry. So I guess it could go either way with some of these turkeys.

However, shiitake mushrooms are not the least bit exotic. Also their crostini making mishaps were worthy of an infomercial voice-over "Are you tired of this happening to you?" They are making toast with stuff on top of it.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4

The post production people need to be stopped,

Amen to that.  Those "special effects" were just weird.  My 18 y/o granddaughter from California is visiting me before she leaves for college and she kept shaking her head and saying, "That was so random."  LOL  Summed it up nicely.

I hated to see Erik Estrada go.  He is one of the few I actually like.

• Love 6

I want to see a finale with Carson vs. Perez.  However, Nora might be a sleeper who moves to the head of the pack. I understand her schtick is the dry humor but she comes across as a little more than unbalanced.

The blonde comedienne (forgot her name) can go next. She is working my last nerve. Same as for Clueless Carmen. Something tells me that Carmen might be one who actually has cooking skills but has been tapped to play the clueless sexpot.

Really? Vivica has to subject herself to appearing on this?

I agree that the cheesy sfx, music and stupid mini-montages need to go like yesterday. They seem like they were created to fill dead space with a hopefully by-product of being humorous. Epic fail. Why not use the time to have Anne or Rachael actually go into the kitchen to you know ... teach ... mentor??

Is it just me, or does it seem like RR has completely checked out of this? Anne seems resigned but still manages to perform like a professional and seems to milk much fun and amusement out of the experience as she possibly can.

• Love 1

I'd have liked them to keep Erik Estrada, who seemed like he really cared about learning, over Carmen Electra who didn't give much impression of caring. I guess the rigging isn't there when you need it. That or they coulsn't resist the allure of strawberry jam and pepperoni.

• Love 2

I enjoy this mindless little show with D-list celebrities.  Melissa and Carson make me laugh.  

Does anyone know why Carmen always wears a glove on her left hand?   It looks like she has a big tattoo on her ring finger, so maybe it's something that can't be shown on t.v. and they don't have the budget to blur?  

I do think that Erik was trying, and he seems to be one of the bigger names here; however, it's like last year when Dean Cain also seemed to be the best known person there was trying but was also the first to go.  Maybe they get 'bigger' names to help bring viewers in with the understanding that they'll go first.

Edited by seacliffsal
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I enjoy this mindless little show with D-list celebrities.  Melissa and Carson make me laugh.  

Does anyone know why Carmen always wears a glove on her left hand?   It looks like she has a big tattoo on her ring finger, so maybe it's something that can't be shown on t.v. and they don't have the budget to splurge?  

I wondered the same thing about the glove. My cursory Googling reveals no answer. I don't understand how someone can cook with talons, or at least how someone can cook in a sanitary way with talons.

I enjoy this show, too,  despite its purposeful stupidity.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Does anyone know why Carmen always wears a glove on her left hand?   It looks like she has a big tattoo on her ring finger, so maybe it's something that can't be shown on t.v. and they don't have the budget to splurge?  

I believe she cut herself.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gbb said:

So I gave up on this show mid-way through the last non-celebrity edition. It was just too OTT. Is there anything about this worth watching? Sincere question. 

Yeah, too many montages. I'll keep watching, but less montages and more cooking.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't like Carson, he's waaaaaaaaay too insensitive for me. I don't care for Melissa or Nora and I was ok with Erik being sent home. Vivica and Carmen may be insensitive too, but they are better cooks.

• Love 2

I may be in the minority here, but I don't like Carson, he's waaaaaaaaay too insensitive for me.

Either way I'd like to sit at your table. It makes me deeeeeeeeeply uncomfortable the way he's constantly fawning over the Bachelor guy. I know part of Carson's shtick is that he's shamelessly man-obsessed, but there's something about it that reads so creepy to me. It's was the same problem I had with that one contestant way back when who was constantly hitting on Bobby.

I think having this many comedians on is leading to some "who can be absolutely the most on" which can be a little grating, but not a deal-breaker.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Gbb said:

So I gave up on this show mid-way through the last non-celebrity edition. It was just too OTT. Is there anything about this worth watching? Sincere question. 

Well, that's entirely up to you, but if the over the top-ness turned you off the regular version, you won't like the celebrity version. Pretty much constant shtick from the comedians and silly sound effects. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Well, that's entirely up to you, but if the over the top-ness turned you off the regular version, you won't like the celebrity version. Pretty much constant shtick from the comedians and silly sound effects. 

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I'll stay clear. 

• Love 1

Well, I gave it a shot and got as far as Anne explaining the ingredients.  Then I gave up.  Can't stand Vivica A Fox, Carmen Electra, or the blonde comedian.  But the one I find completely insufferable is Carson.  I get that he's being a caricature, but to me he is insufferable and is probably doing a disservice to gays all over the country.  I'll continue to read the comments here (as with other shows, they're the best bit), but I won't watch again until he's gone.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2017 at 2:55 AM, mlp said:

I hated to see Erik Estrada go.  He is one of the few I actually like.

Me too.  With him gone I'm just "meh" on the rest of them.  Figures.  Any time I like someone on these competition shows lately they go home early.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Brookside said:

Well, I gave it a shot and got as far as Anne explaining the ingredients.  Then I gave up.  Can't stand Vivica A Fox, Carmen Electra, or the blonde comedian.  But the one I find completely insufferable is Carson.  I get that he's being a caricature, but to me he is insufferable and is probably doing a disservice to gays all over the country.  I'll continue to read the comments here (as with other shows, they're the best bit), but I won't watch again until he's gone.

I will keep watching, but I completely agree with you about Carson.

1 hour ago, Simon47 said:

I will keep watching, but I completely agree with you about Carson.

I'll rely on you and the other die-hards to keep me up-to-date, then.   Me, I'll just browse around until I find something else to get suck(er)ed into and to shark about.

Edited by Brookside
Because die-hard is not the same as die-yard, whatever that is autocorrect.

So what does everyone think, does Estrada wear a rug or does he dye his hair? Also, calling him Ponch only emphasizes that his last big role was forty years ago. His crostini, which was actually a sandwich, looked awful. 

But to lose to someone who put out pepperoni and jelly on a crostini? Man, their dishes are as bad as their careers. 

Edited by MajorWoody