Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

NCIS: New Orleans in the Media

Recommended Posts

Cancelled. Tremendously sad rn. I don't understand how a show that consistently finishes in the top 20 every week can get cancelled.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Cancelled. Tremendously sad rn. I don't understand how a show that consistently finishes in the top 20 every week can get cancelled.

Good point. I'm very surprised and disappointed. If anything needs to go, it's the original.

I'm not as into it as I have been in years past, but I still enjoy it. I think it might actually be my favorite of the three. Even though I'm not from New Orleans, I really enjoyed how much it captured the flavor of the city, something neither of the other two ever did.

I really hope that this isn't to make room on the schedule for the proposed NCIS: Hawaii. Didn't we essentially already have that with the new Hawaii Five-0?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I am sad to hear the show is ending, but not surprised either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sad it's ending, but I'm not totally surprised. The storylines this season have been all over the place (and I've tried to give them a break what with Covid and all, but they are still pretty lackluster) and they've had such crazy cast turnover for years, that I think it's hard for some to connect with the characters anymore. I think season 6 and killing off LaSalle was the beginning of the end for me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So, so, so bummed about this.  NCIS: New Orleans is my favorite of the three.  I don’t see why it has to go to make room for Hawaii (presuming that’s what they’re doing).  It has such a unique flavor and I really like the cast.  Boooooooo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/17/2021 at 10:50 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

Cancelled. Tremendously sad rn. I don't understand how a show that consistently finishes in the top 20 every week can get cancelled.

Don't they film in New Orleans? As far as I know, shows that film outside LA tend to be more expensive because (part of) the production crew is in LA and the writers are (often) in LA, so there's a lot of flying back and forth of writers, directors, showrunners.
Additionally, actors get more expensive as the show ages (while the budget gets smaller), so that's more costs added.

Of course, there's also always the option of one of the actors not wanting to extend their contract anymore and the network deciding that it's not worth finding a new actor but if I look at the ratings then I'm not surprised. That's CBS cancellation territory.

Share this post


Link to post

Here is the link to an article from the local paper (Picayune), about NCIS New Orleans, and the economic impact it's cancellation will have on the film industry in New Orleans.  I was a fan from the beginning because I live in Baton Rouge, and loved seeing all of the local settings, and the references to the food were authentic 99.9% of the time.  Sad that it's being cancelled.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/movies_tv/article_55214cfa-7242-11eb-9265-b7ca99b94cee.html

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

A few days ago, I saw a few different articles suggesting Bakula may be in the running for — get this — a continuation of the (Star Trek) Enterprise series. Apparently, CBS wants another Star Trek series. These officials thought the Enterprise and NCIS schedules could be juggled enough to allow Bakula to it. When I read these articles, there was a lot that didn’t make sense. Now that I hear NCIS NOLA has been cancelled, I really don’t know what  to think. 

(I also just heard that Harmon is thinking of leaving the mothership. Go figure.)

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/19/2021 at 6:22 AM, CheshireCat said:

Don't they film in New Orleans? As far as I know, shows that film outside LA tend to be more expensive because (part of) the production crew is in LA and the writers are (often) in LA, so there's a lot of flying back and forth of writers, directors, showrunners.
Additionally, actors get more expensive as the show ages (while the budget gets smaller), so that's more costs added.

Of course, there's also always the option of one of the actors not wanting to extend their contract anymore and the network deciding that it's not worth finding a new actor but if I look at the ratings then I'm not surprised. That's CBS cancellation territory.

 Filming is generally cheaper outside of Hollywood, in part because several states are trying to draw the economic boon and tourism from having a film industry and offer significant tax breaks to the entertainment industry (and California is one of the worst states for taxes).   Louisiana and Georgia both have decent film industries.  Also, a lot of TV production is done in "Hollywood North" Vancouver Canada because of the lower costs.

 Ironically, one of the places I assume it's more expensive to film on location is Hawaii, which is apparently where they're looking to film NOLA's replacement.

 If Harmon leaves the original, the show ends, doesn't?   I haven't watched in years, but he's the only one left from the original cast (other than McCallum in a limited role).  Is there anyone left on the show interesting enough to carry the show?   Since they're Federal agents, I was thinking someone from NOLA could transfer to Hawaii but they're kind of in the same boat.   There's no left on their own compelling enough to move over.   Maybe Tammy. 

 I hadn't heard talk of resurrecting Enterprise.  My thought is really?  That's the show they want to bring back?   They really want to go to a prequal (and the weakest "classic" series) again?  If they want to draw on nostalgia/existing characters, it would make way more sense to do a post-Nemesis show where they could pull in different characters from TNG/DS9/VOY.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Maverick said:

 Filming is generally cheaper outside of Hollywood, in part because several states are trying to draw the economic boon and tourism from having a film industry and offer significant tax breaks to the entertainment industry (and California is one of the worst states for taxes).   Louisiana and Georgia both have decent film industries.  Also, a lot of TV production is done in "Hollywood North" Vancouver Canada because of the lower costs.

Yeah, I read that filming permits especially are very expensive and hard to come by in LA. But it's possible that that is off-set by flight costs, at least, for some routes.

Interestingly enough, I've only ever heard of CBS shows and/or shows that film in NYC that keep the production crew in LA. Maybe it depends on where the main production company is located? 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Maverick said:

 If Harmon leaves the original, the show ends, doesn't?   I haven't watched in years, but he's the only one left from the original cast (other than McCallum in a limited role).

Sean McMurry is also still there, and he has been since Season 1.  

I don't think he could carry the lead at all, though.  Of the characters on the show, the only one that had the ability to carry the show without Gibbs was DiNozzo but only if they'd allow him to have grown up from his silly ways.  Which, they never did.  

Re: cast moving from NCIS: Original Recipe & New Orleans possibly transfering to NCIS:Hawaii... only characters I could see moving over would be Torres from OR and I wouldn't mind seeing Percy Or Brody from the original cast of NO again, as well.

The rest.. meh.  

 

Edited by Callietwo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

There’ve been a few articles suggesting there’s talk about bringing back Quantum Leap, which Bakula has been positive about. But, no offense, he might a little too old for that role or for taking on Enterprise. I could see him being a “special” guest star to get one of them off the ground. I think Bakula pretty much has his golden years set.

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/2/2021 at 3:13 AM, DavidWeis1 said:

There’ve been a few articles suggesting there’s talk about bringing back Quantum Leap, which Bakula has been positive about. But, no offense, he might a little too old for that role or for taking on Enterprise. I could see him being a “special” guest star to get one of them off the ground. I think Bakula pretty much has his golden years set.

Well Patrick Stewart is 80 and he’s back fighting alien crime, so the Enterprise one could happen if anyone wanted it.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/17/2021 at 7:53 PM, Aliconehead said:

Is it because the audience has dwindled?  I know I had a hard time keeping on after they got rid of Megan, but Percy was awesome.  Then came the pug nosed FBI barbie and ugh.  I could not stand her character at ALL.  Then Percy was written out.  Lucas Black was all that was keeping me in, so when he quit, I quit too.  I wonder how many others did the same.  Maybe Bakula wasn't the real draw.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, MelinaBallerina said:

Is it because the audience has dwindled?  I know I had a hard time keeping on after they got rid of Megan, but Percy was awesome.  Then came the pug nosed FBI barbie and ugh.  I could not stand her character at ALL.  Then Percy was written out.  Lucas Black was all that was keeping me in, so when he quit, I quit too.  I wonder how many others did the same.  Maybe Bakula wasn't the real draw.

You described why I quit watching regularly. People I liked leaving one by one not right after each other but close enough. Lucas Black leaving along with spending way too much time on Hannah's drama and Pride's idiotic personal victim drama. It became too much about the agent's personal issues and less about the cases. I started watching this season regularly because I was interested in how they'd handle COVID. I'm only sticking with it since it was announced this would be the last season. I like Bakula but the stupid shit they wrote for Pride and situations they put the character in got to be a real turn off. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I like Bakula, watch Quantum Leap every day it is on Comet. But this show really seems to be circling the drain. If I can't even stay awake to watch a show in the evening, that says a lot. I will miss it I love seeing the NOLA scenery and will miss SB on my tv screen...hope he comes up with something new.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/17/2021 at 10:50 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

Cancelled. Tremendously sad rn. I don't understand how a show that consistently finishes in the top 20 every week can get cancelled.

I don't understand it either.  This show is head and shoulders above NCIS LA.  The characters, acting, and stories are still engaging and fresh.  I've never been bored watching this show, in contrast to NCIS LA, which is like watching paint dry.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, MelinaBallerina said:

Is it because the audience has dwindled?  I know I had a hard time keeping on after they got rid of Megan, but Percy was awesome.  Then came the pug nosed FBI barbie and ugh.  I could not stand her character at ALL.  Then Percy was written out.  Lucas Black was all that was keeping me in, so when he quit, I quit too.  I wonder how many others did the same.  Maybe Bakula wasn't the real draw.

But it hasn't--it routinely finishes in the top 20 which is quite an accomplishment. Megan--do you mean Merri? As in Brody? (I adored Percy. And I criiiiiiied and cried and cried when Lasalle was killed. Man, did I cry. But I still adore Scott Bakula and his character and I actually love Tammy. I don't know why so many seemingly dislike her. I love her dry humor and I love it when she drops that and calls someone "baby.") 

This sucks. This is a shitty decision by CBS. I will absolutely NOT watch NCIS: Hawaii.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size