Type keyword(s) to search

Paul & Karine: These Condoms Ain't For Sexin'

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

I wonder how many issues Brazilians have with people trying to sneak drugs INTO remote areas of their country? Maybe transporting around the country is a problem? IDK. 

The dog alerted on cough drops but not on the pharmacopoeia foot locker?

The dog may actually be looking for an invasive species (plant/animal) they want to keep out of that area of Brazil. I lived on the island of Guam for 4 years while in the Navy. When I moved to a nearby island for a temporary duty assignment, dogs came to sniff out my baggage and household goods for Brown Tree Snakes (invasive species).  Paul seems like the type of idiot to introduce a plant that wipes out half the rainforest. 

I'm surprised people are offended by the geopolitical/sociological term "Third World Country."  Did you know it goes all the way up to Seventh?

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 8

"Third World" has been outdated and deemed offensive for so long now that I'm almost always surprised to see it. The correct term for a poor country was "developing nation" but that too has been called into question as far as "political correctness" goes, because some people have to argue about everything. Still, I don't like the term "third world" because the history of the term became so derogatory, so I use "developing nations" when referring to places like Haiti. YMMV.

I linked an article about the term "third world" in the Small Talk thread so it didn't become too off topic here.

Edited by Christina
Added paragraph
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, CofCinci said:

6 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

I wonder how many issues Brazilians have with people trying to sneak drugs INTO remote areas of their country? Maybe transporting around the country is a problem? IDK. 

The dog alerted on cough drops but not on the pharmacopoeia foot locker?

The dog may actually be looking for an invasive species (plant/animal) they want to keep out of that area of Brazil. I lived on the island of Guam for 4 years while in the Navy. When I moved to a nearby island for a temporary duty assignment, dogs came to sniff out my baggage and household goods for Brown  Snakes (invasive species).  Paul seems like the type of idiot to introduce a plant that wipes out half the rainforest. 

LMFAO!!! He certainly does!

He is also very creepy. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Swim mom said:

To me, third world means poor living conditions, poor sanitation, and questionable water.  All of which describes Brazil. I remember before the Olympics when the athletes were warned about the sewer infested coastline. Brazil had to build some sanitation facilities to get the water to minimum acceptable standards. Even then, WHO issued warnings to the athletes to take special precautions. 

With ya there Swim Mom.  If DIRT is a flooring material, you are probably in the 'Third World'. The term might have started as a geo-political  usage but it has evolved over time to mean exactly what you describe above.  

• Love 2

When Paul and Karine took a ride in the truck bed to her house, you could see power lines were strung up and down her street.   The heat, rain, termites, and constant humidity in that part of the world makes most materials of construction deteriorate.  People there are going to use what is readily available to build their houses. Wallpaper is impractical because it would peel, so old bedsheets or yard goods are going to be wallpaper.

Karine's family home is very humble by our standards, but she appears by all standards to be clean, well groomed, happy, well nourished, and loved by her family.  Just because people are poor by our standards, doesn't mean they aren't clean. The river provides them with fresh fish, and the fertile soil, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Coconut water is a very delicious, healthful, and hydrating drink. Açai berries and other fruits are jam packed with antioxidants. 

Paul is wise to bring filitration or disinfecting for his drinking water because everyone who travels to Brazil has been warned of poor sanitation in many places.  Hope that he doesn't drive karine's  family crazy with his germophobia. 

• Love 16
On 8/21/2017 at 10:24 AM, Gigglepuff said:

I just have to get something off my chest, lol. I hate the term "third world." It's so outdated and offensive to people who live in certain countries. Also, the term doesn't mean what people think it does anyway. Over the last few decades, the term "third world" has taken on a misconstrued meaning and though many third world countries are/were poor, the term was never intended to mean, "poor." By the old standard, Brazil is a third world country, but not for the reasons Paul thinks. He's an idiot, and I kind of hope he gets eaten by piranhas.  

Yeah, you are right. There are a lot of shades of gray with this too. I just travelled to the Middle East and people view things like A/C, clothes dryer, and dishwasher as luxuries, while here in the US for most peopple it is a basic necessity. However the country I was in is not considered a "developing" country. Karine happens to live near the Amazon rainforest (from what I assumed?) and its no surprise that in such a remote region they dont have modern conveniences. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

When Paul and Karine took a ride in the truck bed to her house, you could see power lines were strung up and down her street.  

One thing that bothered me when they were riding in the back of the truck. She asked Paul if he had learned Portuguese and I think (If memory serves me correct) he asked Karine if her English has improved.

I think both dumbtwits were expecting the other one to learn their mother language.  Lazy and crazy!

• Love 2

I'd imagine having to take a red eye flight to Rio, and a layover,  flight to Manaus, and then 2 days trip down the Amazon, he was worn out.  It's hard to be excited even about winning the lottery at this point.

Karine is a lovely young lady, but she is 13 years his junior.  Her parents might imagine he's worldly enough to try to take advantage of their daughter. This will set up a dynamic for him to be a Svengali or "parent" in the relationship, which is somewhat disconcerting to say the least, since he's not got too much going for him back home.

I am very concerned for her. Things could end badly for her if he loses his shit one day.k because he's got creepy vibes. Portuguese isn't widely spoken in his neck of the woods, so she'd have a hard time getting help or making friends if she doesn't learn English quickly. I hope she's not mistreated in any way once the cameras stop rolling.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

I talked to a Brazilian friend of mine and pointed him to this show. He is very fearful for Karine, based on what he read about Paul's criminal background. 

This American is, too.

9 hours ago, booboopbedoo said:

I think Karine looks much older than 21. Paul gives me the creeps and now that I know he has a record - I fear for the village

OMG - the village! I didn't think of that, but you are soooo right. It's going up in flames!

• Love 3
On 8/22/2017 at 4:50 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

When Paul and Karine took a ride in the truck bed to her house, you could see power lines were strung up and down her street.   The heat, rain, termites, and constant humidity in that part of the world makes most materials of construction deteriorate.  People there are going to use what is readily available to build their houses. Wallpaper is impractical because it would peel, so old bedsheets or yard goods are going to be wallpaper.

Karine's family home is very humble by our standards, but she appears by all standards to be clean, well groomed, happy, well nourished, and loved by her family.  Just because people are poor by our standards, doesn't mean they aren't clean. The river provides them with fresh fish, and the fertile soil, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Coconut water is a very delicious, healthful, and hydrating drink. Açai berries and other fruits are jam packed with antioxidants. 

Paul is wise to bring filitration or disinfecting for his drinking water because everyone who travels to Brazil has been warned of poor sanitation in many places.  Hope that he doesn't drive karine's  family crazy with his germophobia. 

This may be a stupid question but is the reason why foreigners need to take so many precautions about unsanitary water, and not the natives, is because the foreigners are not used to it ? 

Also, does anybody know the name of Karine's village ? Just curious. She seemed to be well-dressed in the type of clothes you would see in a shopping mall, so Im wondering where they shop for clothes, if internet is spotty in their village. I noticed the sister dressed "down" a little bit, in long shorts, probably not to take Karine's thunder when she met Paul. 

• Love 3
On 8/21/2017 at 9:07 PM, DVDFreaker said:

Paul is an idiot asking her to take sexually transmitted diseases and a pregnancy test? She is probably a virgin! 

Ehhh... from the way she was dancing in her underwear while Skyping him and her long talons, plus she is already 21, I'd guess no. I also think that South Americans are more liberal with sexual expression (looking at you, Pao, for tellung us that 1,265,9000 times). I do think that she seems very sweet but I don't think that Paul will be the last American she will date. 

Paul's OCD-ness about being extra careful about every little thing makes me wanna vomit. 

Edited by Matias130
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, gunderda said:

So what is Paul's criminal background... arson and possibly stalking?

No possible about the stalking, a restraining order was issued for one woman's safety. There may have been more, I can't remember. But I know I saw at least 4 mug shots for him, 4 different arrests.

Edited by Major Bigtime
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Matias130 said:

This may be a stupid question but is the reason why foreigners need to take so many precautions about unsanitary water, and not the natives, is because the foreigners are not used to it ? 

Our water has been sanitized to the point that we could very easily get sick.  There are protozoans as well as parasites and their eggs that are foreign to us and difficult to get rid of once we become infected with them.

1 hour ago, Matias130 said:

Ehhh... from the way she was dancing in her underwear while Skyping him and her long talons, plus she is already 21, I'd guess no. I also think that South Americans are more liberal with sexual expression (looking at you, Pao, for tellung us that 1,265,9000 times). I do think that she seems very sweet but I don't think that Paul will be the last American she will date. 

People in Brazil as well as the rest of most of Latin America were dancing almost before they could walk. Even very young girls are wearing revealing outfits, particularly for Carnival. It's part of their culture and no big deal. No means no, period.

• Love 3

I'm curious about the sexy photos she took in rooms that obviously are not in her parents' home. Yeah, I'd want her to do tests too. I'd want him tested as well!  Tests all the reproductive parts!

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Our water has been sanitized to the point that we could very easily get sick.  There are protozoans as well as parasites and their eggs that are foreign to us and difficult to get rid of once we become infected with them.

People in Brazil as well as the rest of most of Latin America were dancing almost before they could walk. Even very young girls are wearing revealing outfits, particularly for Carnival. It's part of their culture and no big deal. No means no, period.

Thanks for the explanation about the drinking water. Does this mean that if one grows up drinking the water there, they are more immune to the parasites ?

I still dont think that she was a virgin. Paul obviously doesnt have any kind of sensitivity or suaveness and him assuming that she will automatically want to have sex with him makes me SMDH though. 

• Love 2

First, second and third world have nothing directly to do w/ the poverty of a country or its water, sanitation or anything.

Everyone should discuss STI testing before becoming intimate. I don't think anyone is dumb or rude for bringing that up. And yes, I guess pregnancy, but yeah, that is being a bit presumptuous for him to believe sex will happen imminently.

Didn't Karine get frustrated at the language barrier while he was in the supermarket and hang up on him? Ugh gas and flames.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

Everyone should discuss STI testing before becoming intimate. I don't think anyone is dumb or rude for bringing that up. And yes, I guess pregnancy, but yeah, that is being a bit presumptuous for him to believe sex will happen imminently.

Absolutely they should, and unfortunately not enough people do.  I didn't have an issue with him saying that, other than the WAY he said it, almost angrily. Now that made me mad. The pregnancy test thing reeked of paranoia.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Quof said:

Maybe he has read about Josh and Alexandra. 

Possibly.  But he needs to wait a few weeks to be sure ihe was the one who had something to do with it or not.

Who says they have to have sex right away?  Let's get to know each other first, shall we?

• Love 5

See, I think she looks like she is 16.  And he didn't bother to learn much of her language, here in America, land of the brave. 

If I was in his shoes I would have hired somebody to teach me the language.  He is a stereotypical American who expects English to be universal.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

Question, how does inquiry happen?  Does the couple discuss taking the STD test, then actually take the test, wait for the results, and if the results are negative then have sex?  Is that what should happen?  Kinda takes away the spontaneity.  I'm asking because I have been in a 30+ year monogamous relationship and this didn't happen when I was in the dating scene so long ago. 

Is Paul going to take the test too?  What's good for the gander . . .

• Love 2

I think it's a good thing to take a test for STI, but the way Paul mentioned it, he came across as being judgmental, as if he's pure and she's not. I don't like him at all. I think the proper way to introduce such a topic should be in private after a relationship has been established and with a conversation and not a demand. How about, "Hey, honey, before we take this to the next level, let's both get tested so that we're both protected." 

They definitely should be using condoms for protection against STI and pregnancy. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Gigglepuff said:

I think it's a good thing to take a test for STI, but the way Paul mentioned it, he came across as being judgmental, as if he's pure and she's not. I don't like him at all. I think the proper way to introduce such a topic should be in private after a relationship has been established and with a conversation and not a demand. How about, "Hey, honey, before we take this to the next level, let's both get tested so that we're both protected." 

Yes, thank you! I'm glad to know it wasn't just me who was bothered by the way he brought it up, how judgmental he sounded, and by way of demand rather than broaching the topic in a caring, sensitive way.

Maybe he's the virgin. Any guy whose mother gave him a clump of her hair balled up in a Kleenex on national television is just not going to be getting laid anytime soon.

• Love 9

He gave me the creeps before I read any of the comments about his past on this board. There's something just skeevy about him. You just know that he's chasing after her because 1) she's much younger than him, 2) she doesn't speak English, 3) she's from a completely different culture, and 4) she's from an impoverished area. For him, that is all win, win, win, win.

If things work out and she comes to the US, she will be 100% dependent upon him and he will feel as though he's the hero who lifted the poor little waif from what he believes is third world poverty. She'd always be indebted to him in his eyes. In this case, there's a reason why he can't attract a woman who would be more his "equal." First of all, no woman, American or otherwise, who has any amount of status or success in life would want him or tolerate his nonsense. An independent woman in her 30s would see through this guy in a split second. 

Karine's village is poor, but the people look happy and healthy. It would be better for her to try and get some kind of training and education and stay in her own country and just live a happy life rather than become dependent on this asshole. I understand she wants out of her village and out of poverty, but this isn't the answer for her at all. I'd like to say for Karine to use him for all he's worth, but honestly, the guy gives me the creeps like no other on this show so far. I don't like Mo, he's a user and a con, but never did I think he was dangerous. 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

He gave me the creeps before I read any of the comments about his past on this board. There's something just skeevy about him. You just know that he's chasing after her because 1) she's much younger than him, 2) she doesn't speak English, 3) she's from a completely different culture, and 4) she's from an impoverished area. For him, that is all win, win, win, win.

If things work out and she comes to the US, she will be 100% dependent upon him and he will feel as though he's the hero who lifted the poor little waif from what he believes is third world poverty. She'd always be indebted to him in his eyes. In this case, there's a reason why he can't attract a woman who would be more his "equal." First of all, no woman, American or otherwise, who has any amount of status or success in life would want him or tolerate his nonsense. An independent woman in her 30s would see through this guy in a split second. 

Karine's village is poor, but the people look happy and healthy. It would be better for her to try and get some kind of training and education and stay in her own country and just live a happy life rather than become dependent on this asshole. I understand she wants out of her village and out of poverty, but this isn't the answer for her at all. I'd like to say for Karine to use him for all he's worth, but honestly, the guy gives me the creeps like no other on this show so far. I don't like Mo, he's a user and a con, but never did I think he was dangerous. 

It does say a lot when a guy finds off the internet a girl barely out of her teens from one of the most remote and cut off regions of the world. I have a feeling that if she was from Rio, Sao Paolo, or any city outside the Amazon this relationship would have never manifested. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Question, how does inquiry happen?  Does the couple discuss taking the STD test, then actually take the test, wait for the results, and if the results are negative then have sex?  Is that what should happen?  Kinda takes away the spontaneity.  I'm asking because I have been in a 30+ year monogamous relationship and this didn't happen when I was in the dating scene so long ago. 

Is Paul going to take the test too?  What's good for the gander . . .

You can now get results the same day. So there is no real waiting involved. In my experience, the topic gets brought up maybe around the second date or so. Some ppl mention it on their dating profile if they do online dating (disease-free, willing to get tested)  I'm not really the type to just fall into bed w/ someone on the first or second date so it's not a problem for me. But I agree; it's not exactly spontaneous! lol

Yes, of course he should take the test, too.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Matias130 said:

It does say a lot when a guy finds off the internet a girl barely out of her teens from one of the most remote and cut off regions of the world. I have a feeling that if she was from Rio, Sao Paolo, or any city outside the Amazon this relationship would have never manifested. 

Yeah, it really does say a lot. It's creepy. If she were at least from one of the bigger cities in Brazil, she wouldn't have to be as dependent on him even if the language and cultural barrier remained. She'd at least be familiar with other cultures and be a little more worldly. This girl is from a remote Amazon village. What power or control could she possible have if she does end up going to the US with him? Zero. She'll be totally dependent on him, which is what I suspect he wants. I know living in a small remote village in the Amazon has it's challenges, but it would be better than moving to a foreign country, not speaking the language, having no resources, being 100% dependent on a creepy mama's boy with a criminal past. What possible support could she find in Kentucky if she ever needed it? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of Portuguese speaking people there in case she ever needed to talk to someone in case of an emergency. 

Edited by Gigglepuff
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

What possible support could she find in Kentucky if she ever needed it? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of Portuguese speaking people there in case she ever needed to talk to someone in case of an emergency. 

That's my biggest concern for her as well. She also won't be able to drive or work until she gets her green card. Poor lass will be under house arrest without a penny in her purse and stuck with his creepy mother as her jailer, sending clumps of her hair balled up in a Kleenex back home to Brazil.

• Love 7
On 8/24/2017 at 10:10 AM, Matias130 said:

does anybody know the name of Karine's village ?

Tonantins Amazonas

On 8/24/2017 at 1:33 PM, balisticnikki said:

Everyone should discuss STI testing before becoming intimate

Yes, but it should be mutual. "Please get tested and I will too."

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

She also won't be able to drive or work until she gets her green card.

If she has a Brazilian drivers license she can get an International Permit before she leaves Brazil and can drive for a year without a green card.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

That's my biggest concern for her as well. She also won't be able to drive or work until she gets her green card. Poor lass will be under house arrest without a penny in her purse and stuck with his creepy mother as her jailer, sending clumps of her hair balled up in a Kleenex back home to Brazil.

You're hilarîous! ROTF!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Maybe she will escape to Miami to pursue a "modeling karear".  Honestly, because of her age and natural look, she has a better shot at modeling  than Paola.

• Love 10

As a 66 years old Brazilian living in the USA for a little over 40 years I am EXTREMELLY concerned about the well being of this young naive 21 year old girl Karine. I am from the northeast of Brazil and culturally this girl will have a shock when she moves to the US and also when she discovers his criminal past.  This girl will have no one to run to if the going gets tough once she moves up here and this guy turns violent with her.  I personally think it is INSANE for a young person to move from one country to another not knowing the language not knowing anyone else but the "fiancée". Are young people SO DESPERATE now a days to find a partner?

• Love 11

Was anyone surprised by the home Karine lived in? It was very modest, but it wasn't as impoverished looking as I expected. And Paul, bemoaning their lack of air conditioning was hilarious. He comes from the 4th poorest state in the country. Kentucky is home to some of the most impoverished counties in the entire US and there are literally people living without electricity and without running water there. How is he so blind when the village Karine comes from is better off than communities in his own home state?! He really thinks he's some kind of savior and that is very creepy. 

• Love 12

There's plenty of poverty in the US, thank you those who pointed that out. Equally, there are very rich areas in countries we think of as poor. Side thought: would his mom stay in the van when they visited Karine's village?

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Izabel said:

Are young people SO DESPERATE now a days to find a partner?

Yes.  I mean who the hell flies to the other end of the earth to meet up with a person who can't speak English and you can't speak their language?  I mean.....c'mon.....

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes.  I mean who the hell flies to the other end of the earth to meet up with a person who can't speak English and you can't speak their language?  I mean.....c'mon.....

Possessive people on a budget? They're not just getting a spouse, they're getting an indentured spouse?

• Love 6

I really thought it was tacky how Paul asked her parents upon 5 minutes of meeting them if he could take Karine to his hotel.  After all this talk about being concerned for her honor, it would have looked like prostitution as far as the locals were concerned for a foreigner taking a young girl to his hotel.  She looked really uncomfortable being stuck in the lobby as if hoping not to see anyone who might know her.

Apparenly a 21 year old who likes things 8 year old girls like might seem weird to us, but I imagine people in her neck of the woods have only recently been able to get them and they weren't available when she was much younger. Who doesn't like stuffed animals?

• Love 5