Type keyword(s) to search

Stews and News: Below Deck Med in the Media

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

That doesn't actually seem messy if you take it at face value.

Did you scroll through the whole thing? The first pic is one of four. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Oh damn!

I might hurt myself laughing.  I mean, poor guy quitting his job and moving to be dumped, but LOL.  And I don't even hate Joao or think he's a murdering rapist based on noting but a few comments he's made on TV.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 3
On 7/31/2018 at 11:02 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Hannah, Jamie, Kasey on WWHL right now.

Jamie looks amazing!

Jamie does look gorgeous, but also her face looks different. I'm trying to gauge whether it is just weight loss or plastic surgery. 

Just looked up Brooke's instagram and darn it, didn't realize she was an Arbonne hun. :( Guess she's gotta work that side-hustle mlm when not yachting? Good way to lose all her tip money real quick...

On 8/11/2018 at 9:36 AM, sockii said:

Just looked up Brooke's instagram and darn it, didn't realize she was an Arbonne hun. :( Guess she's gotta work that side-hustle mlm when not yachting? Good way to lose all her tip money real quick...

Edited by Maccagirl
Deleted post beacuse I answered my own question!

Interviews with a couple of real life chief stews on super yachts.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/sport/superyacht-stewardess-spt-intl/index.html

First of all, these chief stews clean, unlike Hannah.  They even clean the makeup containers every day to make it appear like they're freshly-opened.

Nielsen and Hulbert, like many others, document their stewardess lives on Instagram. And while it may look glamorous as they spend the year chasing the sun from Mexico to the Caribbean and Europe, they sometimes only catch a glimpse of their surroundings through the yacht portholes as they clean guest suites with toothbrushes, toothpicks and cotton buds.

"It's pretty crazy," Hulbert says. "When we go into every guest cabin on a daily basis we open every product, every piece of makeup, every item of face-wash and we check the cap. You clean it so it looks like it's just come directly from the shop. If it's foundation you wipe everything perfectly clean."

"When we wipe glass or mirrors we turn off all the lights and use the flashlight on our phone and then check for any smears or watermarks that we may have missed -- that's the closest possible way to making it as perfect as possible. 

"We've always got rags in our pocket wiping every fingerprint. If a guest touches a light on you go and wipe that light switch, if they go into their cabin and sit on their bed you make that bed so it looks like it's never been touched and the second they use a bathroom you're straight in there and giving it a clean."'

The pay, especially the tips, are higher than shown on Below Deck Mediterranean:

Despite the long hours, it is an industry that offers attractive wages -- with stewardess salaries ranging from $2,700 to over $9,000 per month, depending on experience and yacht size -- and that doesn't include tips. 

It's customary to tip crew at least 10% of what the yacht costs to charter, which is then divided up among staff. So with most chartered yachts costing between $300,000 to over $1 million per week (not including fuel, water or food) -- crew can expect to get upwards of $2,000 additional in tips. There's also no expenses -- with board, meals and toiletries all covered.

"Before you know it you can receive triple your month's wage after two weeks -- cash in hand," Nielsen says.

"I remember the first time it happened and looking at the envelope of just cash and not even knowing what to do with it. Of course being American and seeing Euros I'm like 'this could be monopoly money for all I know. This hasn't even registered what's in my hand right now, it doesn't even look real.'"

Stews are expected to have a certain look and the criteria for who gets hired seems entirely arbitrary to the whims of the owner of the yacht.

33-year-old Chelsea Nielsen says stewardess' have to look the part. "You definitely have to maintain a sense of appearance. Your hair has to be tidy, your makeup has to look nice, you definitely cannot wear extravagant jewellery."

Appearance is important, say both Nielsen and Hulbert, and that can be problematic. 

"It's very tough to get a job if you've struggled with weight," Nielsen says. "It's a physical job and if you're someone who struggles with that it may be a challenge for you." 

As well as that, tattoos are often off-limits -- even if they're not visible. 

"Some boats are all men, some boats probably don't have any employees of color, some boats won't hire a woman just because the owner doesn't like what your picture looks like on your CV," Nielsen says.

As chief stewardess, Hulbert says, she's considered the "face of the entire interior."

"At the end of the day we're doing whatever we can to keep the owner happy," she adds.

And on board romances are not uncommon.  In fact these two chief stews found their husband on board and often work together:

Despite the long days, both women happened to find love on board in between the cleaning and guest demands. 

"I saw him through the porthole of a boat next door and finally met him," Hulbert says of her now-husband who work together on the same boat.

Nielsen also met her partner on board.

"It's very challenging to maintain a relationship with someone who might not understand what it is you're going through -- I can only text you at certain times of the day, I probably can't call you because my service doesn't work in the middle of the ocean, I'll text you five minutes before I go to bed and then I'm going to have to go to sleep.

"Having that partner on board especially if you're lucky enough to share a cabin, it's nice to go back and vent to each other, hug each other and remind each other that everything is going to be OK."

• Love 5
On 8/17/2017 at 4:26 AM, Spotlight said:

this was a few days ago. Adam is so hot. Bugs is quite annoying. 

I originally thought Adam was 'hot' especially when he was being so sweet re: Brooke's crush. However, after the 'onions' episode, and his obsessive/jealous behavior re: Malia bothered me. He looks too old for these girls anyway. I also dislike him when he's pissed at a gal because his insults become quite misogynistic.

• Love 3
On 2/15/2018 at 10:12 AM, Peper81 said:

Anybody know when the new season will start?  I remember seeing previews on Bravo in January about the new season but no new date has been given.  It's stupid cold here so watching these idiots in the Med was going to be my hourly escape.  

I hear ya!! Watching these ports of call always warm me up (as I live vicariously through the yacht crews, lol.)

• Love 1

I just read on Bravo's website that Sandy, Hannah, Colin and JWow will be on the new Below Deck Med. Said Ben may be the chef, but hasn't been confirmed. The article didn't give a date, but said it will likely return in May.

Very happy about Colin's return, but bummed about the rest. Can't stand any of the other three. I was hoping to see Jamie's name, she was so funny and laid-back and drama free. But that's probably why she's not returning, didn't bring the drama. I, for one, don't need or like the stupid kind of drama that the likes of  Hannah and JWow bring. I enjoy the beautiful surroundings and like to make fun of ridiculous rich folk.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, SuzyQILoveYou said:

just read on Bravo's website that Sandy, Hannah, Colin and JWow will be on the new Below Deck Med. Said Ben may be the chef, but hasn't been confirmed. The article didn't give a date, but said it will likely return in May.

They filmed the show in October and Ben was there.

There is supposed to be a teaser trailer tonight during the finale.

If drama was the only consideration Colin wouldn’t be back. Jaime might have not so good feelings about the show given that she is dating Chandler and has been snotty on twitter about his treatment. Maybe some of the bitterness stemmed from not getting a second season. 

Edited by biakbiak

I don't recognize any of the people on that poster but then again, I only watched the last half of last season.

How long a time did they have off between the filming of last season and this upcoming season?

Did they just hang out in the area or go home and then returned for this upcoming season?

13 minutes ago, scrb said:

I don't recognize any of the people on that poster but then again, I only watched the last half of last season.

How long a time did they have off between the filming of last season and this upcoming season?

Did they just hang out in the area or go home and then returned for this upcoming season?

Ben, Hannah and JWow are all in the picture. They film for about four weeks swith almost a year between filming. None of the people live in the same place. Med has changed its ports the last few seasons so they aren’t in the same country each year. 

The poster on top is actually from the first season of Below Deck original.

Edited by biakbiak
On 1/31/2019 at 11:25 AM, missyb said:

We know Sandy, Hannah, Ben Colin and Joaw are back. So, does Joaw come back with equal rank to Hannah as a bosun ????? I am guessing yes.

It's only on this show that the bosun is made to seem like he or she is a department head. In actuality, the bosun isn't equal rank to the chief stew. The First Officer is head of the deck crew. Aleks from season 1 of the mothership is the First Officer. Rapey Bryan from season 1 of BD: Med becomes the First Officer partway through the season. We also see the true importance of the First Officer come up during the fire on season 3 of the mothership and when the deck crew is grossly underqualified like in season 5. On Below Deck and BD: Med, the chief stew and purser are the same person. The other slight deviations we've seen are that CJ and Don were actually 2nd engineers who floated as deckhands. The following chart is a pretty decent guide of the ranks:

https://www.crewhq.me/update/yachting-whos-charge-who-do-you-report

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 1
On 1/31/2019 at 12:25 PM, missyb said:

We know Sandy, Hannah, Ben Colin and Joaw are back. So, does Joaw come back with equal rank to Hannah as a bosun ????? I am guessing yes.

I don’t think Ben is comfirmed yet, is he? 

Thrilled Colin is back! I love that kid (I hope a second season doesn’t change that!) Ugh I hope somebody tosses J-wow overboard. Still boggles my mind that those 2 stews were “fighting” over him. He’s not even that cute??! 

• Love 1
On 2/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, Duke2801 said:

I think Colin is hilarious. I am not sure about Ben because he is so full of himself and has extreme difficulty articulating, pronouncing his thought/word endings. 

On 1/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, biakbiak said:

They filmed the show in October and Ben was there.

There is supposed to be a teaser trailer tonight during the finale.

If drama was the only consideration Colin wouldn’t be back. Jaime might have not so good feelings about the show given that she is dating Chandler and has been snotty on twitter about his treatment. Maybe some of the bitterness stemmed from not getting a second season. 

That's too bad. Chandler knew he make mistakes and owned them. Because of that, Captains are more likely to hire someone who knows where he messed up. I am surprised he even wanted to date a yachtie. Jaime's nice though.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, Duke2801 said:

Thrilled Colin is back! I love that kid (I hope a second season doesn’t change that!) Ugh I hope somebody tosses J-wow overboard. Still boggles my mind that those 2 stews were “fighting” over him. He’s not even that cute??! 

I forgot the name of the fellow who almost lost his foot. He was an excellent worker as well.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:34 PM, scrb said:

When is it suppose to come back.  Only been a couple of months since they ended the previous season.

Aiden and Canadian chef were fine as well. Lauren and Kate were great.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:12 PM, biakbiak said:

Joao and Brooke broke up and she has moved on and he is being messy on IG. Someone reposted his InstaStory. 

Oh Dear, yet another instagram account that needs shutting down asap.

• Love 2

In last night's episode of Good Girls (it was season 2 episode 2), two characters were talking about how Sandy treated Conrad like crap. I sort of love that a tv drama is commenting on this because Sandy is such a weird defensive idiot that I'm sure once she gets wind of it she'll tie herself up in knots trying to explain why it was a great idea for her to treat Conrad terribly. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 11/18/2018 at 8:52 PM, VagueDisclaimer said:

Seems Capt Sandy will likely be back for next season, judging by her frequent attendance of Bravolebrity events:

Any word on anyone else? 

I know this is old but I am always very excited to see Ben and Ronnie from Watch What Crappens in this picture. I have a vague memory of Lee and Sandy being on one of their live shows but I don't remember Josiah being on it. I love them.

• Love 2

Colin, please don’t end up being a douchebag.

I may bow out this season... Sandy is still a Yawn, JWOWW bugs me, and the new chef looks like a piece of work. Arrogant but can’t cook pancakes? 

I was all set to say “the biggest drama is someone dropping a dish?” until they took on water. 

Otherwise I feel like this season’s going to be a rinse and repeat of the last, with different characters.