Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Thetans in Young Bodies

• Start Topic

On 8/17/2017 at 4:42 AM, smorbie said:

I learned about opera by watching Bugs Bunny (Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit), so I guess it's possible.

But did your teacher show you Bugs Bunny cartoons in class and say this is all you need to know about opera and classical music?

• Love 3
Spoiler

Spoiler

You have me there.  Of course when I was growing up all we had were cave drawings to tell us about history  "Here you see Ogg on the day he killed one full hand of dinosaur babies".  I have no idea why this is under spoiler tags or why I can't move it.  Sorry about the extra click.

Edited by smorbie
  • Love 1

I would love to hear more from Leah in upcoming episodes.  She was part of the sea org since she was 12. 

Leah did not stay in Sea Org long let her book. The higher ups realized she wasn't a fit and her whole family was asked to leave. If she had stayed Sea Org she probably would have never had the opportunity to be an actress. 

Edited by AUgirl
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, Janc said:

And for the lack of schooling these girls receive (watching movies to learn history?!), it amazes me, as did many of the interviews last season, how articulate many of the now-adults that were raised in this sham of a 'religion' are. 

I can't remember who said it but in one discussion it was pointed out that the spoken word and vocabulary and grammar WERE the things that were emphasized and taught well. They were expected to eventually go out and do their adult jobs which is to proselytize for the $hurch. They want their representatives well spoken. One said it is rare to find a CO$ member who was raised in the $hurch who doesn't have a strong vocabulary.

• Love 2

The number of Sea Org kids and what to do with them became a huge problem. The solution according to Jenna Miscaviage's book is that after a time the "solution" to deal with the Sea Org children was to make it illegal to have children.

This lead to the forced abortions Claire Headley talked about it Season 1.  

They really are a crappy bunch.

• Love 11

Leah has said that Scientology isn't really growing or getting new members. That all the hope for the future of the church lies in the families and mostly the children of people that have been born and raised in it. If they can get those kids out based on proving a pattern of abuse and forced labor, Scientology is done for. 

• Love 4

Between watching this show and "The Path," it's a wonder I can sleep at night.

I watched season 2, episode 1 yesterday.  I don't quite know what it is about Leah, and I don't normally cry while watching tv, but I too was reaching for the Kleenex from the opening scene.  I think what gets me is that disclaimer from the COS about what a rotten Scientologist and human being Leah is, which then fades to Leah sitting alone in front of the camera, reading a letter or making a statement.  It's like, that's my girl from way back when I saw her on Saved By the Bell.  Don't mess with her!  I adore Leah.

And then there's Tom Cruise, who starred in my favorite movies during my formative years (Taps, Risky Business, Top Gun, etc.)  It's kind of interesting how my swoony fangirl opinion of him changed the moment I saw him jumping on Oprah's couch.  So knowing that this is My Homegirl vs. My Former Crush is sort of fascinating to me.  Like David and Goliath, except David has really long, sharp, pointy fingernails, flawless makeup, and is not afraid of the giants.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very heavy season.  I hope she crushes Miscavige.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 13
On 8/15/2017 at 9:35 PM, mbaywife123 said:

Also the fact that minors cannot held legally responsible to or liable for any contracts signed unless they have been declared as an emancipated minor by a county, state or federal Judge or judicial decree.

Minors can sign financial aid contracts for college. Those debts cannot be discharged thru bankruptcy. 

On 8/21/2017 at 3:21 PM, laurakaye said:

Between watching this show and "The Path," it's a wonder I can sleep at night.

I watched season 2, episode 1 yesterday.  I don't quite know what it is about Leah, and I don't normally cry while watching tv, but I too was reaching for the Kleenex from the opening scene.  I think what gets me is that disclaimer from the COS about what a rotten Scientologist and human being Leah is, which then fades to Leah sitting alone in front of the camera, reading a letter or making a statement.  It's like, that's my girl from way back when I saw her on Saved By the Bell.  Don't mess with her!  I adore Leah.

And then there's Tom Cruise, who starred in my favorite movies during my formative years (Taps, Risky Business, Top Gun, etc.)  It's kind of interesting how my swoony fangirl opinion of him changed the moment I saw him jumping on Oprah's couch.  So knowing that this is My Homegirl vs. My Former Crush is sort of fascinating to me.  Like David and Goliath, except David has really long, sharp, pointy fingernails, flawless makeup, and is not afraid of the giants.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very heavy season.  I hope she crushes Miscavige.

I remember when I found out she had left the crock.  My son saw it on the news feed on his phone and told me.  He and I looked at each other and I said she might do it.  If they don't treat her right, she might be the one to bring them down.  He didn't think she had enough cache as a celebrity.  But, after King of Queens she always will have it, and she has the grit and determination of a bulldog.

I'm cheering her on every step of the way.  Burn it to the ground, Leah!

On 8/29/2017 at 4:28 PM, RichiesOlderBro said:

Minors can sign financial aid contracts for college. Those debts cannot be discharged thru bankruptcy. 

Those are students, presumably with parental guidance, signing documents for their education.  They are not 13 year olds being coerced into signing the next billion years of their lives away for nothing.  Those are not enforceable in court. It's obvious they know it, too, because, as litigous as the crock is, they don't seem to bring cases against the people who blow.

• Love 5
On 9/8/2017 at 3:16 PM, smorbie said:
On 8/29/2017 at 4:28 PM, RichiesOlderBro said:

Those are students, presumably with parental guidance, signing documents for their education.

Again, attorney here:  whether a minor has the legal capacity to sign a contract is largely a matter of state law, so it can vary, but generally speaking, a minor lacks the legal capacity to sign a contract, except for those concerning food, lodging, or clothing, if the minor is over the age of 16.  So the determination would be on a case by case basis, and if the person can show that the contract was coercive or signed under duress (probably not hard here) the contract could be declared void no matter how old the person was at the time of execution.

Here is a pretty good explainer:  http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/lack-capacity-to-contract-32647.html

Edited by mahree
  • Love 6
On 9/11/2017 at 10:54 AM, mahree said:

Again, attorney here:  whether a minor has the legal capacity to sign a contract is largely a matter of state law, so it can vary, but generally speaking, a minor lacks the legal capacity to sign a contract, except for those concerning food, lodging, or clothing, if the minor is over the age of 16.  So the determination would be on a case by case basis, and if the person can show that the contract was coercive or signed under duress (probably not hard here) the contract could be declared void no matter how old the person was at the time of execution.

Here is a pretty good explainer:  http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/lack-capacity-to-contract-32647.html

I'm not an attorney, but I'm pretty sure being a minor is a moot point as no judge would ever enforce a "billion year" contract.  Even for an adult.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

I'm not an attorney, but I'm pretty sure being a minor is a moot point as no judge would ever enforce a "billion year" contract.  Even for an adult.

That, Too ;)

• Love 1