Type keyword(s) to search

SuperPositive

• Start Topic

I really liked Jared and Jensen’s answer in the convention panel today about the length of the show (emphasis mine): 

Question: After playing the same characters after 15 years, normally actors get into acting so they can play different characters throughout their career, what were the deciding factors saying ‘okay, we’re going to keep going with these same characters for 15 years or should we end the show earlier so we can see what other characters are out there for us. 

Jared: Great question Genevieve, that’s a weird name.   Ah ... speaking for myself I’ve been able to play a lot of characters of Supernatural so that’s a blessing but I got into acting to tell stories.  I love stories. I love reading stories. I love watching stories.  I love telling stories. I love being around a raconteur who tells stories, and he’s (Points to Jensen) a great story teller, Bob Singer is a great story teller. You have those people in your life who tell you about their weekend and you want to hear. Like this is going to be cool, I want to hear, not ‘oh, they’re droning in again about their drive. I don’t care!’  I’d watch Bill Murray read a telephone book. There the ones that can tell you a great story.  Like art, you see a great painting and it tells you a story or you imagine a story,  or great music.  If I played Sam a Winchester my entire life, I’d die happy. Ya know? As long as he had a story to tell and he DOES have a story to tell and he’s telling that story and maybe on April 5th when Jared and Sam say good bye to each other, hopefully it’s see ya later, not goodbye, ya know?  (Jensen interrupts with a faux loud sob) we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.  So yeah, I’m really excited to tell the stories.  I get to tell an overarching story but I get to tell a lot of smaller stories concurrently. So I’m very thrilled to have had this opportunity. 

Jensen: I was talking about this a little bit earlier, and I think one of the reasons why he and I have stuck with this for as long as we have is I think there is a realization on both parts here of just how rare and unique this opportunity is. There’s not a lot of shows that get to film 327 episodes, there’s shows that ... (applause for 327) ...ah and even more rare that have 327 episodes of the same two leading characters.  And, you know the the ones that do get into the triple digits and stuff tend to be more procedural type shows.  You know where they’re following a formula that works, and works very well. To constantly be creating new story lines and new character arcs and new characters and all new motivations season after season after season after season and so on. I think we quickly realized we were part of something special here and that we had. We’ve heard the metaphor of lightening in a bottle and I don’t think he and I were ready to get rid of that anytime soon. And we were wanting to hang onto that as long as possible. And so we have. We’ve tried to do it justice. We’ve tried to earn this as much as we possibly can

It’s really nice to be part of a fandom where the actors genuinely like the show and share some heartfelt appreciation for the unique and complex storytelling.  

• Love 7

I loved the finale.  I liked that Dean got exactly what he asked for, to go down swinging and that Sam would live a long life.  And I liked that Bobby was the only other regular in the finale because it started out with just S&D and it ended with just S&D.  And I kind of liked that they used the Dead Man's Blood vamps but I think the execution could have been better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Comparing this ending to the last couple of shows I followed closely for years, I leave this one with a positive vibe.  I will EAGERLY watch Supernatural when it's on TV.  I won't 'cringe' because of the ending (that's happened in the past for some shows for me).  And I certainly have left with some long term friends who share the wonderful messages I took from the show:
- Always keep Fighting
- Family Don't End With Blood
- Free Will
Supernatural was too complicated to sum up with just those little messages.  But those messages speak to the powerful human story.  And I think the ending, even if it wasn't everything everyone wanted it to be, was a message of love and support.  I'm good with it. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SueB said:

And I certainly have left with some long term friends who share the wonderful messages I took from the show:
- Always keep Fighting
- Family Don't End With Blood
- Free Will
Supernatural was too complicated to sum up with just those little messages.  But those messages speak to the powerful human story

This is the part that I will focus on.  Not the ending.  Met a people on the board that felt like friends even though many have left.  But the positive messages from the show lives on in all of the fans.

I'll give the show a break but I do have favorites that I will watch again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SueB said:

And I think the ending, even if it wasn't everything everyone wanted it to be, was a message of love and support.  I'm good with it. 

I am too.  I have nothing but respect for the actors and the love and effort they put into bringing it to a good end.  Even if the way they got there didn't satisfy everybody, who can be unhappy that in the final shot the brothers are finally together and at peace forever. Not me.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, PinkChicken said:

We would do well to remember that a lot of our criticism is often so strong because we do actually really love the show and characters. Regardless of my feelings about the execution of the finale, I know that no other show has a hope in hell of ever usurping this show or Dean Winchester as my lifetime favourite.

“You asked, 'what about this is real?' We are. - Castiel

That first statement is everything, because it's truth.

I agree about the conventions, and it's sad that it's out of everyone's control not to be able to have them. Having that real life community does help. I often came away from attending a convention more positive and energized for the show. They're like B-12 shots in the arm. 😉

I wanted to ask you which episode the line "what about this is real?" is from?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, PinkChicken said:

its 15.02 when Dean was pretty upset about the revelation chuck was controlling everything. 

Thanks! I assumed it was a Dean line - one that I feel he's going to be asking for eternity. 😉

• Love 1

I liked most of the characters and loved the three main ones.

I really liked it when they did interesting MOTW that I'd never heard of. I liked the hunting community; so often the Winchesters thought that they were alone when they really weren't. People like Bobby, Garth, and Ellen really showed that.

Their treatment of heaven was unique; it was heaven at the breaking point (civil wars, lack of faith) and they did a good job of showing it. One thing that the finale got right was to show a restoration of heaven (it suffered from time constraints, but it was there) and free will.

I loved Baby, the bunker, Dean's Rock music, the pop culture references, the badass fighting sequences, that blood don't end in family, the horror/creepy scenes, the chick flick moments (sorry Dean)... Well, you get the picture.

• Love 1