Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Part V

Drogo
  • Start Topic

OMG this show. If I could follow it, I might love it. I need clarification please. 

Cora murders Frankie at the beach. She says they called him JD? 

Maddie might have been the woman outside that drug dealer's house last week? But this week they find her skeleton and say Maddie was murdered and Cora did it out of jealousy? 

Who did Cora murder at the beach? Frankie? Who was the girl with him at the beach?
Who is the drug dealer? Is that JD? 

I can't follow this mess. 

• Love 6

^ Frankie was never JD. She lied about that.

The casting for adult Phoebe was spot on.  She looks just like the mother.

Glad to see Cora finally standing up for herself. But man, this show feels so slow.

• Love 4

They found the wallpaper!  I think this show is zooming---well not really but I did think this episode was an improvement. 

54 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

Maddie might have been the woman outside that drug dealer's house last week? But this week they find her skeleton and say Maddie was murdered and Cora did it out of jealousy? 

We don't know who the dead girl is yet.

54 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

Who did Cora murder at the beach? Frankie? Who was the girl with him at the beach?

Frankie so far. I don't think we care who the girl at the beach with him is.  I don't think she's relevant to this mystery.

Phoebe's involved in this somehow.

• Love 4

This is slightly absurd. The detective acts like Cora's lawyer. He talks to her on the phone in a personal way and advised her not to take the deal yet. Whose side is he on? Detectives usually work with DAs. 

• Love 7

Ugh I hate when shows don't tell me they are over. I don't want to watch an unnecessary commerical block. I'm think it over because it an hour but some shows like to be longer. So I wait only to see a preview for the next episode.

I'm torn because JD is such a bad guy going after the father in-law like that. But he's also deputy Tim so Team JD. It doesn't help that Mason is so damn dumb. 

Anyone else transported back to middle school when you were on the phone all night. Keeping the landline busy Cora and Detective (what the hell is his name.) acting like it's puppy love. 

Are you crying about your failed marriage Detective why don't you go back to your waitress. Oh wait you did. I did want him to tell off his wife in the therapy session but whatever.

I did wish that Cora confessed to the second murder to only find out that those bones have nothing to do with Cora at all. Just to make lady detective look incompetent. She doesn't even know who the body is and she is trying to pin it on Cora. I'm glad Cora didn't fall for the detectives bull shit. What type of DA makes a deal when they don't know who the body belongs to or how they died. That's just a lawsuit waiting to happen. 

That waitress must have gotten s great settlement because if I woke up naked in the passenger seat of my car straight to the police I go. Burn that place to the ground. 

So Phoebe set her sister up on dates to steal money from the guys. What!?! So how does that guy with $1000 fit into it. Did she sign her sister up on a prostitute website. Was Phoebe really concerned for Cora that she didn't come home or did she fake an episode so that their mother would flip out. I can see Phoebe pretending she is worse then she really is. Maybe JD and Phoebe work together to get Cora to turn tricks for them. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Teddybear said:

And I could not STAND the new woman detective.  Her acting and way of speaking is so horrible!  When Cora told her to go to hell, I was happy.  

I don't like her either; that actress should have been cast as Cora's mother, she seems like playing a religious fanatic would be right up her alley.

Speaking of Cora's mother, does it make sense that a crazy zealot like her, who thinks television is the devil's instrument, would allow her daughter to have a laptop and the internet? That really didn't make sense to me. I'm 3/4 of the way through the book, and this adaptation is not what I'm picturing at all.

• Love 20

I loved this episode. The sister is a fascinating character, I'm trying to get a read on her. I'm loving that she seems to be behind so much of the sketchy stuff going on. And JD is also an excellent character, he played Cora so perfectly. We've all known men like that. (Plus, Jacob Pitts is perfection.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

I loved this episode. The sister is a fascinating character, I'm trying to get a read on her. I'm loving that she seems to be behind so much of the sketchy stuff going on. And JD is also an excellent character, he played Cora so perfectly. We've all known men like that. (Plus, Jacob Pitts is perfection.)

The sister is something else. Whether she is with Cora or against her, I wonder what the motive for getting Cora in trouble with her parents was. She doesn't seem like the type to panic over nothing to me. I can't believe Cora fell for J.D.'s spiel. I mean, she's not exactly naive and innocent considering she steals from men she's set up and she's hooked up with the neighbor. Either she was playing him back or she is so emotionally damaged that she really wanted to believe everything J.D. said about her being special, etc.

I'm starting to fear that all the threads of this story aren't going to get tied up in a satisfying way. I will reserve judgement though as there is plenty of time.

• Love 1

Other than rushing to judgment about the body in the woods, I loved the way the woman detective was written and played. It rang true to me that she came up in a mostly male profession and likely had to deal with heaps of misogyny. When she called out Ambrose for not documenting every conversation with Cora, she didn't simply order him to do it in the future, probably because as a woman she couldn't get away with that in the same way a man could, and the approach she developed this has worked for her.  I hate that women have had to do that, abhor the double standard, but I believe she lived it, and that this is how she survived and thrived. However, I personally felt about her, that aspect of her felt realistic to me. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Teddybear said:

This episode was the most boring yet.   And I could not STAND the new woman detective.  Her acting and way of speaking is so horrible!  When Cora told her to go to hell, I was happy.  

I've been into this show so far, but I was nodding off during this episode. Because of my snoozing, I'm not sure what happened in the last 10 minutes, but I'm not going to watch again. I'll catch the "previouslies" next week.

8 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

The sister is so creepy.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Cora's missing time is because her sister sold her as a sex slave to that club.  I laughed at all those masks hanging up all clean and freshly laundered in the club basement.  They are a club that is either super rapey or hunting humans or both or something even weirder, but they've got their standards and will not tolerate slovenliness when it comes to their crime disguises.

Hunting humans, yes! First thing I thought when they mentioned few people hunt anymore.

Did anyone else hold their breath when the custodian at the club was going after the bird? I was afraid of the worst. I can't stand cruelty to animals and the detective has this bird whisperer thing going on so it seemed odd that it wasn't pursued.

• Love 6

I just can't get past a religious fanatic mother allowing any type of internet access to her teenage daughters. Even if the girl needed to use the computer to be homeschooled, the mother would have put password protection against searching out any other websites. Also, how does a young teen who has never left her bedroom know enough to search out sugar daddy sites or really anything, since Cora herself seemed fairly innocent. Also do not know why we need to see Bill Pullman's character with his waitress friend-what does this add to anything? I will stay with it because I love a good mystery with a twist, I just hope it is worth it. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Also do not know why we need to see Bill Pullman's character with his waitress friend-what does this add to anything? I will stay with it because I love a good mystery with a twist, I just hope it is worth it. 

I am thinking they are showing that because in some way the detective is involved in something shady that may impact this case. They may be trying to show that he is not wrapped too tight himself... so when we learn of his involvement we understand it. 

• Love 1

I think with the S&M waitress they're trying to show that the Detective and Cora are bonding because they're both self-punishing/filled with a deep guilt or shame, so we don't see their relationship as a he's-just-helping-her-because-she's-hot trope (which is of course where the woman captain went after being on the case for like one single day). Hate the character and can't stand the actress. I've seen her in other things and she had the same grating affect. 

It rang true to me that she came up in a mostly male profession and likely had to deal with heaps of misogyny. When she called out Ambrose for not documenting every conversation with Cora, she didn't simply order him to do it in the future, probably because as a woman she couldn't get away with that in the same way a man could, and the approach she developed this has worked for her.  I hate that women have had to do that, abhor the double standard, but I believe she lived it, and that this is how she survived and thrived.

I see your point but I think it's odd that a woman who feels she has to be super tough in a male-dominated field would acknowledge a call from her nanny that she (somehow) knew wasn't an emergency, in the middle of a first interrogation with her suspect. Even if it was an attempt to appeal to Cora's maternal side, why do it in front of a new male colleague (subordinate?)? It felt like a cheap shot by the writers to me.

Speaking of Cora's mother, does it make sense that a crazy zealot like her, who thinks television is the devil's instrument, would allow her daughter to have a laptop and the internet? That really didn't make sense to me. 

So much word to this. I just...I can't even.

• Love 5

This show is so interesting. 

I wonder what happened to JD.  In the flashbacks, he's walking fine, but in the present he has a limp.

I think JD was selling date rape drugs to the club members, hence his expensive lawyer.

Phoebe was living through Cora.  She wasn't going on sugar daddy websites, she was going on dates and ripping the guys off.

As for Phoebe having a computer, maybe the father bought it, he never seemed as religious as his wife.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Darian said:

Other than rushing to judgment about the body in the woods, I loved the way the woman detective was written and played. It rang true to me that she came up in a mostly male profession and likely had to deal with heaps of misogyny. When she called out Ambrose for not documenting every conversation with Cora, she didn't simply order him to do it in the future, probably because as a woman she couldn't get away with that in the same way a man could, and the approach she developed this has worked for her.  I hate that women have had to do that, abhor the double standard, but I believe she lived it, and that this is how she survived and thrived. However, I personally felt about her, that aspect of her felt realistic to me. 

I think this can be true.  But I also think it's all about perspective.  If this were a show like Law & Order, the interrogation might have been something we admired rather than be annoyed by.  But this show is from the POV of Cora and Ambrose.  Both of them believe there's some mystery behind what led her to kill a man on the beach.  Anyone who looks at her as plain old violent would seem dumb in comparison.

And yet there is something to the "woman in a man's world" theory.  I think it's especially true in relation to how suspicious she was in Ambrose's motives.  Had it been a black man who had never been in trouble who randomly killed someone on the beach, would he be digging this deep? 

• Love 3

I'm trying to give it a chance, but I really do not give a shit about Ambrose when he's not on the case.  Everything else?  Nada.  Blah blah blah... he and his wife break up again.  Oh, look, he is back to visiting the dominatrix waitress.  Yawn!!!

So, we're past the halfway point, so I should have known we would be getting a state detective to show up.  This is the time when someone else gets involved and causes a bunch of jurisdictional crap and issues with the "lead" detective.  And, of course, they're making her come off so obviously gung-ho that Cora is guilty, that she's going to look like an idiot when it is revealed she's innocent (err, for this murder at least.)  And nothing against the actress playing her, but when I first saw her from a distance, I thought it was Sarah Clarke (Lena from Covert Affairs, among other things), and I was bummed that it wasn't.

Phoebe was basically pimping out Cora in those flashbacks.  It's creepy as hell, although I guess I got the give the girl credit for her business and marketing skills.

So, it looks like this new club will somehow be connected to what happened to Cora.

J.D. is your average smug dick, but he's still one of the best things about this since Jacob Pitts is awesome.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think this can be true.  But I also think it's all about perspective.  If this were a show like Law & Order, the interrogation might have been something we admired rather than be annoyed by.  But this show is from the POV of Cora and Ambrose.  Both of them believe there's some mystery behind what led her to kill a man on the beach.  Anyone who looks at her as plain old violent would seem dumb in comparison.

And yet there is something to the "woman in a man's world" theory.  I think it's especially true in relation to how suspicious she was in Ambrose's motives.  Had it been a black man who had never been in trouble who randomly killed someone on the beach, would he be digging this deep? 

Or any man--or an unattractive and/or older woman. I also get the sense that part of what Ambrose likes about being a detective is figuring people out. He can't just accept that Cora killed the man on the beach for no apparent reason--he *has* to figure out the motive. It's not just whodunit, but why?

• Love 7
10 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

a call from her nanny that she (somehow) knew wasn't an emergency, in the middle of a first interrogation with her suspect. Even if it was an attempt to appeal to Cora's maternal side

Maybe the call was the motivation that made "lady cop" think that Cora would confess to both murders, she was really leading her and appealing to seeing her son while he was still youngish. 

16 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I just can't get past a religious fanatic mother allowing any type of internet access to her teenage daughters.

If Phoebe has access to the internet, why was she so excited about the magazine. If there ever was a time when a parent needs to check their child's browser history, this is it.

• Love 2

How can an eight episode show seem so plodding?

The female cop who keeps sharing information with Cora's huband needs to be fired, if not prosecuted for her enabling of the obstruction of the case.

Are any of the officers on this show competent? How do you declare the person  has been dead for three-four years and then say it has been dead no more than ten years? Just say the person has been dead for no more than ten years idiot. Also, when asked what led you to the crime scene, you say mushrooms are growing. I guess we better dig up the ground wherever we come across a mushroom. I mean really, you went looking for the bus knowing what you would likely find, yet you had no explanation for your actions worked out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Happytobehere said:

The female cop who keeps sharing information with Cora's huband needs to be fired, if not prosecuted for her enabling of the obstruction of the case.

Are any of the officers on this show competent? How do you declare the person  has been dead for three-four years and then say it has been dead no more than ten years? Just say the person has been dead for no more than ten years idiot. Also, when asked what led you to the crime scene, you say mushrooms are growing. I guess we better dig up the ground wherever we come across a mushroom. I mean really, you went looking for the bus knowing what you would likely find, yet you had no explanation for your actions worked out.

I think it was "at least 3-4 years" but "no more than 10." I'm guessing it would have taken at least 3-4 years to become a skeleton like that. Not clear on how they'd know it was no more than 10, though. I mean, obviously it was supposed to suggest it could have happened that 4th of July weekend. I agree that Ambrose should have had more of an explanation planned for how he found the body--I guess he must have suggested that Cora led him there, based on what the female officer said? But that suggests that Cora shared the location, when really Ambrose pieced it together from what she said during hypnosis--especially the bus part.

I'm also curious as to how Ambrose managed to just wander into that hunting club the second time and then down to the basement, because I got the sense it had some fairly tight security? Or at least that you'd have to check in at a front desk or something. And as someone else mentioned, it was funny how all the masks were just hanging there...

• Love 3

The guy who plays the husband looks so much like Kit Harington that I keep expecting to see a man bun on the back of his head.  Interesting that he also knows nothing.

Could the dead body be Cora's sister?  Would that explain why the DNA points to Cora - sisters should have some DNA in common?

• Love 10

Phoebe must have something to do with what every happened to Cora, there is just something super off about her. I cant figure her out,which makes her the most interesting character in the show so far. While Cora seemed to be very innocent and easily lead (at least until she grew a spine and told Detective Lady to go to Hell) Phoebe, despite being the favored, invalid sister, is more worldly, to the point of being rather disconcerting. This preteen girl is seemingly pimping her easily swayed sister out to get some cash from her sick bed. However, they also seem to be really close, and the sisters do have a real connection, so who knows? I am also pretty sure that Phoebe isn't really dead, just "dead" to her parents. Cora tells people her parents are dead after all. 

The flashbacks to whatever happened to Cora are the creepiest parts of the show so far, and its what I want to know the most about. Its clear that this club has some dark secrets, because, for one thing, literally all the clues lead to them, and, for another, its a hundred year old rich people social club on television. I think they're legally obligated to have at least one evil rape/murder club. They don`t "hunt" anymore huh? Most dangerous game style human hunting, that is only now being phased out in the "modern" world...but not completely. Its cliche, but there is something there. 

You know, when Lady Detective was asking about is the detective was asking about if he would be so invested in Cora if she "didn't look like Cora", I kind of thought "Its kind of amazing no one has brought this up yet already", or something along this line. Would he be so invested in this seemingly open and shut case if the killer wasn't a lovely middle class white woman? Would he be so invested in a guy, or a black woman, or a more lower class person? Of course, I think the reason he has stuck with this so long is because he is so interested in the Why of this case, but it makes you wonder if thats a part if the reason he got interested in the first place. 

JD is clearly a scumbag, but he is also pretty hot, so I guess I get it. Cora is still a dumbass to buy into what he was selling, but I kind of get it.

• Love 2

How can an eight episode show seem so plodding

That's a good question.  I watched Big Little Lies and every episode was fascinating and I didn't want it to end.  This should be exciting, but it's just not.  But yet I keep watching so go figure.  

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Without revealing anything spoilerish, let me just say whoever wrote the tv series added stuff that wasn't in the book and none of it makes any sense or adds to the story.

Interesting...I bought the book and was debating whether to read it since I'm kind of impatient now about the TV series (especially after this week's slow episode!) So maybe it wouldn't really explain the TV stuff then. This is probably more for the book thread, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers: Is the book arranged in a similar order to the TV series? Like, if I read halfway through the book, would I be about where it is now in the show, except for the added stuff? Or is more revealed earlier in the book?

Agreed.   At this point, I'm invested enough that I need to know what happened.  But, I'm not enjoying it.  Feel like it could've been so much better.  

This is slightly absurd. The detective acts like Cora's lawyer. He talks to her on the phone in a personal way and advised her not to take the deal yet. Whose side is he on? Detectives usually work with DAs. 

So much this.  It makes no sense that he's the detective.  He would be working on other cases.  She already plead guilty!  If he's not somehow involved in Cora's past then the whole look into his personal life has been complete waste of time.  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I wonder what happened to JD.  In the flashbacks, he's walking fine, but in the present he has a limp.

I think JD was selling date rape drugs to the club members, hence his expensive lawyer.

Phoebe was living through Cora.  She wasn't going on sugar daddy websites, she was going on dates and ripping the guys off.

As for Phoebe having a computer, maybe the father bought it, he never seemed as religious as his wife.  

I thought he said something about Lyme Disease. Maybe means nothing or maybe some really roundabout connection to the crime scene in the woods. Deer ticks/Lyme Disease.

• Love 2

I went and binge watched all the episodes to date. I missed a few things and needed more clarity. But, here I sit now again not understanding what the heck is going on. Nothing is explained. 

WHY did Cora say Frankie was JD? Why does Frankie's girlfriend at the beach look like Maddie? JD and his new girlfriend have a baby and they are drug dealers? 

Who was the blonde laying on the lawn outside JD's house? 

How does Cora get those scars on the inside of her arms? I suppose it will all be explained in the final episode? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Like, if I read halfway through the book, would I be about where it is now in the show, except for the added stuff? Or is more revealed earlier in the book?

At halfway through the book I don't think you would be spoiled, but you would have more insight into Cora's past and her thinking.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Neurochick said:

This is just my opinion..but I think JD make not be as egregious as we've been led to believe...

the masked person at tail end of episode 3..."How are you feeling Cora?"... I WOULD SWEAR that is husband/Mason's voice! The last masked person leaning down to look under the bed had a higher register voice.

Mason is part of this..somehow involved in the 'Hunt (humans) Club'. 

The 'last call bell' from the tavern is sets the stage. JD, Cora, Mattie and others from JD's house party end up there...AS WELL AS some hunt club members. At last call/ clear sing time...an after party back at club where all hell breaks loose.. ppl   are drugged..hunted..hurt..and deals are cut. JD took an injury to the leg...even though we are led to believe it may be from Lhymes disease. 

That is why Mason..after Cora stammered at first hearing (prompting judge to order psych eval) asked "What are you doing?" as in..what happened..?... you were going to plead guilty!!!

Mason=bad

JD= bad..but not as bad as hubby

• Love 1

The guy who plays the husband looks so much like Kit Harington 

I said the same thing after the first episode. I had never seen that actor before but someone posted that he was in Girls, which I would never watch even if it were the only show in the universe for numerous reasons (I'm not the target demographic, Lena Dunham annoys the hell out of me, females in their late twenties are grown ass adults,not girls!, to name a few).

• Love 10
20 hours ago, meep.meep said:

The guy who plays the husband looks so much like Kit Harington that I keep expecting to see a man bun on the back of his head.  Interesting that he also knows nothing.

Could the dead body be Cora's sister?  Would that explain why the DNA points to Cora - sisters should have some DNA in common?

I'm assuming that Cora's DNA on the blanket is supposed to indicate that either she could have been involved in the murder/body disposal or that it's just that same blanket that was used when/if Cora was assaulted.

• Love 3

Christopher Abbott hasn't only been in Girls, he's done other stuff, and I find him attractive and quirkily interesting, usually. Playing a sort of good old boy here, he's been less interesting to me, but I think his character has layers we haven't seen yet, so he's playing it close to the vest, so far. Or something, I guess there's not a great deal of time now for more opening up He does have  a very Jon Snow vibe. 

Jacob Pitts...oh, god, he's so pretty. I completely see why Cora would fall for him, and yeah, I kind of think there's more to JD than we think right now. I'd watch him do virtually anything, so I'm really happy to see him on this...he needs to be on my screen as often as possible. 

I don't think Ambrose is a bad guy, or involved in whatever happened to Cora. He's fucked up and damaged, but that's why he relates to her. I think. 

I too expected Ambrose to stop that club maintenance guy from going after the bird with a broom...he's such a bird lover, how did that not freak him out? it freaked me out. 

• Love 5
On 8/31/2017 at 2:07 AM, DakotaLavender said:

In addition, the detective's phone conversation with Cora was personal.... and the whole case was totally compromised. if that is discovered, the whole case can be thrown out on that technicality. 

On September 1, 2017 at 2:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

You know, when Lady Detective was asking about is the detective was asking about if he would be so invested in Cora if she "didn't look like Cora", I kind of thought "Its kind of amazing no one has brought this up yet already", or something along this line. Would he be so invested in this seemingly open and shut case if the killer wasn't a lovely middle class white woman? Would he be so invested in a guy, or a black woman, or a more lower class person? Of course, I think the reason he has stuck with this so long is because he is so interested in the Why of this case, but it makes you wonder if thats a part if the reason he got interested in the first place. 

I liked when the woman detective brought that up.  To me it's glaring and it's also a problem I have with this show.  The only reason Ambrose is so interested in this case is because of WHAT Cora looks like; that she's this white, middle class woman.  This wouldn't be a story if the character was a man or a black woman or a poor white woman.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I liked when the woman detective brought that up.  To me it's glaring and it's also a problem I have with this show.  The only reason Ambrose is so interested in this case is because of WHAT Cora looks like; that she's this white, middle class woman.  This wouldn't be a story if the character was a man or a black woman or a poor white woman.

I don't think it's about race or class, I think it's completely due to Cora's physical attractiveness.  

• Love 4

I think they have played down Cora's attractiveness here and I don't think they are supposed to be rich or anything. It doesn't make sense ( Mr Madding is a cop and they are way too busy to devote time to a case where someone pleads guilty). But, I think they are going for the angle that the guy is too curious about a woman killing someone and having memory issues. In mystery novels it is trope that the lead detective is not satisfied with the case and keeps looking at evidence even if they are ordered to stop looking.

• Love 5
On 8/31/2017 at 1:56 PM, SoSueMe said:

Hunting humans, yes! First thing I thought when they mentioned few people hunt anymore.

Did anyone else hold their breath when the custodian at the club was going after the bird? I was afraid of the worst. I can't stand cruelty to animals and the detective has this bird whisperer thing going on so it seemed odd that it wasn't pursued.

agreed. i hate to this kind of stuff on tv. makes viewers with not much in the brain dept. think this sort of thing is ok. and some of my favorite shows have shown cruelty to animals as "humorous" . modern family, superstore. 

disgusting human to go after a bird with a broom to kill it. the detective should have said something to the p.o.s. . 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I think they have played down Cora's attractiveness here and I don't think they are supposed to be rich or anything. It doesn't make sense ( Mr Madding is a cop and they are way too busy to devote time to a case where someone pleads guilty). But, I think they are going for the angle that the guy is too curious about a woman killing someone and having memory issues. In mystery novels it is trope that the lead detective is not satisfied with the case and keeps looking at evidence even if they are ordered to stop looking.

don't think she's all that attractive. of course next to her dowdy, sickly, greasy haired sister (can't she wash her hair? i was disgusted when cora hugged her. must have been repulsive).....and compared to the average woman in real life without access to all the help money can buy, she is attractive.  i always wonder what every day people would look like with round the clock professional hair, makeup, plastic surgery, physical trainers, dietitians,  and  tailored designer clothes. ahhh...money....must be nice.

Could the detective be involved in some way and is he "monitoring" Cora to see if she remembers seeing him somewhere that July weekend? He obviously is a real nut and he could have been involved in anything. 

Maybe his behavior is out of fear. His wife divorced him and wants to stay divorced. She must know something about his deranged behavior. 

1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

don't think she's all that attractive.

She has some basic qualities that are considered attractive even if she's not to everyone's taste.  She's young.  She's thin.  Her face is symmetrical.  Not everyone is going to find her attractive but enough will.  Especially many middle-aged men who value youth.  I'm not saying that's what's driving Ambrose but I don't think it was a leap for the female detective to reach that conclusion.

2 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

Could the detective be involved in some way and is he "monitoring" Cora to see if she remembers seeing him somewhere that July weekend? He obviously is a real nut and he could have been involved in anything.

Maybe but I doubt it.  First, what makes him seem like a nut?  The fact that he engages in S&M?  Millions of couples engage in S&M or dom/sub type behavior from something as simple as tying up or spanking their partners to hard core whips and chains.  What we've seen Ambrose engage in with his girlfriend is somewhere in the middle. And 99.999999% of these couples aren't out there raping or murdering.  It's bedroom play.

I also don't think his wife knows about his kink.  She said that she still feels alone, even when she's with him.  I think that's why she wants a divorce.  He probably keeps that side of himself hidden from her which is why the girlfriend exists.  And when they went for a "romantic" walk, it turned out he was actually looking for a dead body.  She was not the reason for the walk, she was the excuse. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

disgusting human to go after a bird with a broom to kill it. the detective should have said something to the p.o.s. . 

It looked to me like he was just trying to shoo it towards the open window, not hurt it. 

• Love 17
6 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I don't think it's about race or class, I think it's completely due to Cora's physical attractiveness.  

I'm a straight woman but I don't see her physical attractiveness.  To me she's kind of basic, but I can see how a man might thing she's beautiful; she's young, thin and has nice hair.  But I think this comment is correct, to Ambrose, Cora is attractive, and he can't see how an attractive woman can just haul off and stab someone to death on a public beach.

I don't think Ambrose has shared his kink with his wife.  I think he's ashamed of it; thinks he, himself is a "sinner."

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2
On 9/3/2017 at 3:19 PM, Irlandesa said:

Maybe but I doubt it.  First, what makes him seem like a nut?  The fact that he engages in S&M?  Millions of couples engage in S&M or dom/sub type behavior from something as simple as tying up or spanking their partners to hard core whips and chains.  What we've seen Ambrose engage in with his girlfriend is somewhere in the middle. And 99.999999% of these couples aren't out there raping or murdering.  It's bedroom play.

And we can agree to disagree but I think that those who engage in this type of behavior have issues. The desire to hurt others or to be hurt and to desire pain is not normal to me. It comes from childhood trauma. And that form of "bedroom play" in my opinion stems from child abuse. They desire it because very early on they were aroused by it and they do replays of it into adulthood. I don't view it as an acceptable displacement for desires to rape and murder. It's a whole different ball of wax and a sadist and a masochist are addicted to pain and to me a desire to get spanked or to spank is rooted in deep childhood trauma. 

And that woman is not his girlfriend, I think she is his dominatrix. I could be wrong on that though. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3