Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: My Brother's Keeper

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Brook's "infomercial" was hilarious!  Starvation Vacation Island.

20% weight loss is huge.  I feel like she is getting yanked.

Nice looking crab pot.  Catches hairy escargot! Yuck! 

Now they are looking shaky.  And they're out.  Damn.  

They lost the gamble on spending all that energy on the cabin.

Bonzo brother drops a rock on his leg.  At least they stopped yelling, for now

Those fish look nasty.  If he really has acid-reflux, he should have felt it long before this.  If I go 2 days without a Prilosec I feel it and go for the emergency stash of Rolaids.

Jim steps up and fetches lots of limpets.  1000? 

That shelter is still so pathetic.  No wonder they're cold and miserable.  It's even cold in Brooke's chateau.  I'm surprised they didn't put a better roof on it for insulation.

These idiots are going to win.  Damn.

Sam and Pete are so cool.  

Hunger induced confusion.  Pete is looking shaky.

All the fish seem to have gone away.

I hope they can hang on.

• Love 7

Nooooooo!

I kept snarking to the tv, every time the Butt Brothers were on, to tell them to tap out.  How incredibly stupid to take a chance on that fish.  But I guess hunger will make you take dumb chances.  Unlike Jose's snail pail scenario (the red tide issue), Ted seems to have lost the gamble.  And dummy, it's not GERD making you feel bad, it's the rotten fish!

Well, well.  Sam & Pete are like us normal humans, and they argue, too.  I'm worried abt Pete.  He looks bad, and it seems his mental abilities are faltering.  I love how soliticious Sam is to his dad.

Well, at least Brooke left us with the best commercial for Alone ever made.  And her & Dave built the best shelter we've seen.  But what good is this great cabin if you're starving to death?  It's too bad she didn't bulk up more, because I think they might have made it all the way.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, MaraJadeSharpie said:

Well, well, well. Still gathering my thoughts on that one. Are fish truly the only viable option on Vancouver Island?

If so, they should find another location. 

I'm so annoyed Brooke and Dave are out. I'll have to pull for Sam and his dad. I don't want the McKenzie...I mean Baird brothers to win.

• Love 9

Brooke's infomercial was hilarious but the close up shots really showed how gaunt she had become.  I was sorry to see her and Dave tap out before Ted and Jim.  I was touched when I saw them saving memorabilia from their cabin and I was sad to see it come down.

Having said that, I've been team Pete and Sam since the beginning so I hope they can outlast the Butt Brothers.  They seem to have an excellent father and son relationship overall so I don't expect that the little bit of friction we saw will be a big deal.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Vicky8675309 said:

Why don't all the contestants bulk up before going on this show?

1. It's harder for some people to gain weight than others.

2. I doubt most people who are willing to go live in the wilderness on a starvation diet are concerned about this, but gaining weight changes your body's idea of what weight it should be for a loooong time. Then when you lose a lot of weight, your body freaks out and attempts to get you back to that weight. It produces more hormones that increase hunger and fewer that suppress appetite. Your muscle fibers change and become more efficient, so you burn fewer calories doing the same exercises and activities you did before. Parts of your brain involved with reward and restraint react differently.

So once you start gaining weight, it's very difficult to keep any lost weight off.

Here's a NYT article that talks about it: 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html

That said... I very selfishly wish Brooke had gained some weight before she did this. :P

Edited by simplyme
Grammar. I mauled the English language.
  • Love 9

I cannot believe those idiot twits with the shittiest shelter of all are still there!! ACK!!!

Why did the fish only make one of them sick? Or is it a matter of the reflux and stuff making anything "off" he eats more of an issue? Why oh why couldn't he have been puking his guts out and tap??? If they manage to win this, I am for sure going to throw up.

Pete is going to be the one raising his hand to go home, I think. I hope he and Sam can hang in there just long enough to win, so Pete gets his boat. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, simplyme said:

2. I doubt most people who are willing to go live in the wilderness on a starvation diet are concerned about this, but gaining weight changes your body's idea of what weight it should be for a loooong time. Then when you lose a lot of weight, your body freaks out and attempts to get you back to that weight. It produces more hormones that increase hunger and fewer that suppress appetite. Your muscle fibers change and become more efficient, so you burn fewer calories doing the same exercises and activities you did before. Parts of your brain involved with reward and restraint react differently.

So once you start gaining weight, it's very difficult to keep any lost weight off.

That said... I very selfishly wish Brooke had gained some weight before she did this. :P

I've read stuff to this effect for years, but gaining weight for the show would probably have saved her the even worse effects of her eventual starvation on her overall health.  The effects of being overweight are very well publicized, but being the weight she was at the end is probably in the big picture even worse for her than the effects of her gaining then losing 20 lbs. for the show.  Movie stars have been gaining then losing weight for movie roles for a long time - If the prize is worth that much I think it's actually a small price to pay, especially if they were willing to risk starvation and a whole host of other evils to their bodies by going on this show.  Plus everyone reacts differently to that kind of weight gain and then loss.  It's easier for some people than for others to lose the weight and keep it off.  Judging from how quickly she lost the weight on the show, she has no problem losing.  If that were me, I would likely have lost much less by that time even with the energy spent.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

I cannot believe those idiot twits with the shittiest shelter of all are still there!! ACK!!!

Why did the fish only make one of them sick? Or is it a matter of the reflux and stuff making anything "off" he eats more of an issue? Why oh why couldn't he have been puking his guts out and tap??? If they manage to win this, I am for sure going to throw up.

You and me both, sister!  Wouldn't it be ironic and perversely fitting if the crappiest season of this show so far was won by the Butt Brothers? 

I know that this is out of nowhere but for some unknown reason both of them sound to my ear like Owen Wilson playing a doofus in one of his movies, LOL.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, PaperTree said:

All the fish seem to have gone away.

I hope they can hang on.

What I want to know is where do all the fish go as soon as it gets cold?  This seems to happen every season that the fish and crabs become scarce as the season changes.  Does anyone know?

• Love 1

The brothers are annoying. Full stop. However, I respect their gameplay. They are foraging and enduring. At this point their caloric intake must be much higher than the others. 

The show doesn't really reward bushcraft or creativity. It doesn't reward you for being funny or philosophical on camera, or talking to the creatures in the forest. If you can suffer hardship and stave off starvation, you are in the game. Finding and eating 1000 limpets is more important than a cabin with a fireplace. 

• Love 11

If those two dummies win, I'm finished with this show. I can't stand them. I was rooting for Brooke and Dave but father/son will do. Just, please, not the least entertaining couple on earth. Hang on Pete. Please! 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

What I want to know is where do all the fish go as soon as it gets cold?  This seems to happen every season that the fish and crabs become scarce as the season changes.  Does anyone know?

Don't know about regular fish, but whales go to Mexico for the winter.  I would, too, if I lived near BC or Alaska.  

• Love 4

It's on late here, and us old folks go to bed early, so we DVR'd it to watch this morning.  I knew what was going to happen, but Mr. AZC doesn't like to know ahead.  When they showed B&D at the end, I actually teared up.  I loved so much that they stayed respectful and loving to each other in spite of the challenges.  

I wish them well.

I wish the brothers would just go away.

Edited by AZChristian
Needed more coffee before posting.
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I've read stuff to this effect for years, but gaining weight for the show would probably have saved her the even worse effects of her eventual starvation on her overall health.  The effects of being overweight are very well publicized, but being the weight she was at the end is probably in the big picture even worse for her than the effects of her gaining then losing 20 lbs. for the show.  Movie stars have been gaining then losing weight for movie roles for a long time - If the prize is worth that much I think it's actually a small price to pay, especially if they were willing to risk starvation and a whole host of other evils to their bodies by going on this show.  Plus everyone reacts differently to that kind of weight gain and then loss.  It's easier for some people than for others to lose the weight and keep it off.  Judging from how quickly she lost the weight on the show, she has no problem losing.  If that were me, I would likely have lost much less by that time even with the energy spent.

8 hours ago, simplyme said:

I love B and D and will be truly dissapointed if the brother butt win everything just by the default of being relatively young men, compared to Pete.

Hey, future lovable contestants, stop coming into this competition so lean and mean.  The only people to compete on this show that were even remotely tubby were Allen and Fowler and it is no shock they both won their season.

If you need help contact me...I am an expert on gaining weight without even trying.

I also noticed that Brooke is one of those people who just can not sit still and do nothing.  Her commercial was funny, but all her jumping around was burning much needed calories for no reason.

The heartbreaking question will be "Would this couple have won if they would have stuck with Brooke's perfectly adequate shelter and not insisted on building that awesome cabin?"

Remember, the cabin Brooke built by herself was already much better then anything the other two remaining teams have done.

• Love 12

Forgive me but this is my first season ever watching this show so I have what is probably a very stupid question: How long exactly do they have to stay out there in order to win? Is there a set amount of time or is the winner just whoever goes the longest without quitting or dying? 

I can't believe the idiot brothers may actually win. Their shelter is literally a stick with a tarp over it! I can't say I hate them, it's been rather amusing watching them fail miserably at practically every single thing, but I never expected them to be in the running to win.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Forgive me but this is my first season ever watching this show so I have what is probably a very stupid question: How long exactly do they have to stay out there in order to win? Is there a set amount of time or is the winner just whoever goes the longest without quitting or dying? 

"The only stupid questions are the questions left unasked."

Simply outlast the others (or the show's production budget.)

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, qtpye said:

If you need help contact me...I am an expert on gaining weight without even trying.

Instead of bringing pictures of my family, I'd bring pictures of my other loved ones-pizza, ice cream, chocolate, crusty bread. 

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Simply outlast the others (or the show's production budget.)

So, technically , it could go on for a year if they happened to get really good survivalists? Damn! I would probably tap out after the first 20 minutes.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

LOL!  Me too.  I have to go on a diet from my diet to lose any weight.  Slightly OT but when I watch YouTubes of "What I eat in a day" by the supermodels either I don't believe them or it's proof that age, hormones and genetics are a HUGE factor.  I eat like them and gain weight even with exercise!  I know I'm pathetic but Brooke's tongue-in-cheek commercial appealed to me on some level.  I'm serious.  The only way for me to lose weight is to eat 1,000 calories or less, but then I start to feel weak and sick and I know it's not good for me.  If my body feels that way in my living room, imagine on Vancouver Island!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I'm so annoyed Brooke and Dave are out. I'll have to pull for Sam and his dad. I don't want the McKenzie...I mean Baird brothers to win.

Hey, I wouldn't mind the McKenzie Brothers winning!  They're awesome!

I've been team Pete/Sam since the beginning, but I would love to see team Bob/Doug McKenzie on this show!  Beer drops for everyone!

• Love 4

So the Whipples tried to eat poisonous snails?  I didn't misunderstand any of that, did I?

I don't want to see the Baird brothers win either, but for all the ridicule that's been thrown their way, you have to admit they've collected a lot of food.  It seems like they won the "limpet lottery" with their location.

Hopefully the father/son team will win now.  Most of the problems they've been facing so far seem to be hyped up a bit by the editing.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Drogo said:

OK, I have another question then.  We didn't see much evidence of them smoking fish this season to save up for the scarce time.  I would have thought that Brooke and Dave would have done some fish hoarding to prevent them having to tap out early like they did.  Did I miss something or did it seem to anyone like they didn't save much fish?

Also, call me suspicious but I got the feeling there was more to Brooke's not feeling so great than she let on.  Or perhaps the medical team made her leave for being underweight but she didn't want them to make a spectacle of it so they let her act like it was voluntary.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

They ate every fish they caught, didn't save any. Unless they did and ate that too. But you'd figure they'd want to film the fish smoking process if they did that.

I, too, think Brooke was in danger of being pulled and went out with her head held high. Those two have been the most camera-savvy people ever on this show. They played to the cameras like pros.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

So, technically , it could go on for a year if they happened to get really good survivalists? Damn! I would probably tap out after the first 20 minutes.

There was one contestant who didn't make it through the first night.  Another only lasted 1 day.   :)

• Love 3
Just now, PaperTree said:

There was one contestant who didn't make it through the first night.  Another only lasted 1 day.   :)

HA! I remember that guy, he was a police officer, I think? He left almost as soon as he landed, about 3 hours.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

HA! I remember that guy, he was a police officer, I think? He left almost as soon as he landed, about 3 hours.

The police officer, Josh, spent the 1st night, then immediately tapped out first thing 2nd day (S1)

Desmond from S2 lasted 4 hours.  He's in the military.

I don't know abt S3.

• Love 2

Pete is really an aware dude, checking himself on his irritability and the miscommunication right as it's happening. Under these conditions, that's pretty impressive.

I think Brooke did self tap. The way the crew ran up on them with cameras to get the scoop did not seem like they had pre-told them a medical tap was imminent. She is a hella tough lady and reached her limits. I do think the new shelter created a deficit she could not come back from. 

As I watched this episode I kept thinking, wow, the brothers are being respectful, supportive, thoughtful even! --the forum will be crushed.  giggle.gif

• Love 7

I heard that Desmond was not filming at the time but came up close and personal with a bear, Now there has been near, but this was very near, I believe Nichole posted that on bushcraftusa. com a while ago.  Since it was not on film they could never show it. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

I heard that Desmond was not filming at the time but came up close and personal with a bear, Now there has been near, but this was very near, I believe Nichole posted that on bushcraftusa. com a while ago.  Since it was not on film they could never show it. 

I cannot remember who Desmond is. 

• Love 1

Desmond is the large man who left in 4 hours on season 2.  Large man < large bear.  from all the crap he found, seems like his land was heavily populated in bear.  he was shown joking with his family that the bears better look out for him.  He ended up being mocked on the internet. 

• Love 2

I could not believe it when it was Dave and Brooke that tapped out.  I love Dave.  He saved his wife rather than hanging on for the money and risking her life.

Looking back they knew about how many days they had to last to win based on previous shows.  I think Brooke exerted way too much energy building the fireplace and carrying all those river rocks for the fireplace.  Should have spent that time fishing or forging.  Mistakes cost.

Who was it last year that caught all those fish and had them dried and hung and ate quite well.

I too was surprised none of them could catch fish or crabs.  Sam, the son of the Sam and Pete, has a degree in fishery so it's strange with all that he could not catch anything.  My memory tells me that Pete caught most of their fish.

The brothers really toned it down last night.  I wonder if they were told to knock it off on the argueing?  I so wanted B & D to win.  Now I guess I'm rooting for Sam and Pete.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Who was it last year that caught all those fish and had them dried and hung and ate quite wel

Jose... but he didn't eat well, he was hoarding them and got so skinny he had to be pulled.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Jose... but he didn't eat well, he was hoarding them and got so skinny he had to be pulled.

Actually, that was not Jose.  The guy that hoarded all those smoked fish that were hung up so neatly and had to be pulled because not only was he starving but delusional was Dave from last season.  Jose from the season before that left of his own accord after he got wet, IIRC.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 8