Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: Reasons to Quit

One thing that bothers me about this episode was, what was the point of the storm? It's mentioned at least twice, and it's so severe that Avery can't fly home. Then we see him driving in the storm. Then .... nothing. The weather might as well have been clearn for all the impact the storm had. He didn't need to drive home, either. I'm very puzzled about it. I feel cheated that we got a storm without any consequences. Though I really didn't want a cliffhanger with Avery lying in a ditch anywhere either!

• Love 1

Am I the only one who HATES Maddie?

NO!!!  Awful character and way overused this season.  She has talent but her singing style bugs me for some reason I find hard to articulate.  Now Daphne, I like.  

This season finale seemed more like a series finale to me.  Everything tied up in a bow and no cliffhanger.  Has a new season been announced??

• Love 3

They announced season 6 back in the spring. And mentioned the new season starting in January at the end of the season finale. So there you go. 

Oh, and I don't mind Maddie. She's gotten better as the season's gone on. 

• Love 1

I would like Maddie more if we saw any effort for her success.  Right now, it looks like she got to where she is because of her mother and to some extent her father.  When Scarlett and Gunner and Avery were starting out, they had regular jobs and bills.  I guess it really isn't realistic to think that she would have to worry about things like considering her family's money but it does make me think everything came to her way too easy.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who HATES Maddie?? Like seriously, seriously hates her? From the emancipation disaster from last season, to her hogging up all the screen time this season, she makes the show almost unwatchable for me. I can't deal with all of this teen drama!

No, you're not the only one. I can't stand her singing voice either. I fast forward every time she starts with that croaking noise.

• Love 3

Yeah it was made a point that leople

statted to notice Maddie when she did Raynas tribute at the awards show. I was shocked that nobody mentioned Daphne and that it was Maddie getting all the buzz. It was kind of odd. I think Daphne is a better singer personally.

• Love 4
On 8/12/2017 at 0:00 PM, TVFANATICA2000 said:

This is supposed to be a show about country music so how about having the singers sing country songs?  Maddie's stupid song is stuck in my head and I can't get it out.  HELP!!!  The t-t-t-t-take me away is so annoying!  And Glenn is right - Juliette made her song a hit.  I don't think Maddie is capable of singing an upbeat song.

Dangit - I had finally gotten it out of my head and then read your comment - grrrr.... 

20 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I just refer to the song as the "hands song" because I have NO idea what she is doing with her hand movements every time she sings that song...

This!!!! So awkward. I almost felt bad for how lame she looked.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, limecoke said:

NO!!!  Awful character and way overused this season.  She has talent but her singing style bugs me for some reason I find hard to articulate.  Now Daphne, I like.  

This season finale seemed more like a series finale to me.  Everything tied up in a bow and no cliffhanger.  Has a new season been announced??

I like her voice and style of singing but her storyline has been super annoying from ever since. I'm not sure why she even has a storyline per se. I don't watch the show for these teenie boppers. These kids need to be like Cadence, just sit there and look cute. They are doing the most.

• Love 2

I either zone out or actively do something else when Maddie and Daphne are on screen. To me, they were fine as part of Rayna's storyline, and I like when they sing togehter. But I do not want to watch teen drama on this show. This show was always about the adults with Maddie being a catalyst between Rayna and Deacon, but the storyline was mainly about Rayna and Deacon. I don't want to watch another pool party or anything teen related ever again on this show. I hated it last season with Colt and I'll hate it next season with Jessie's son. If they have to bring in new characters, why not bring in some aspiring musicians who are working at the Bluebird? Kind of like a new crop of interns on a medical drama. 

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, seacliffsal said:

I just refer to the song as the "hands song" because I have NO idea what she is doing with her hand movements every time she sings that song...

That's her MO for EVERY song. At least when she sang it at the awards show, she kept her hands on the mic the whole time. But damn that song creeps into my head in the middle of the night and I can't get rid of it. :(

19 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah it was made a point that leople

statted to notice Maddie when she did Raynas tribute at the awards show. I was shocked that nobody mentioned Daphne and that it was Maddie getting all the buzz. It was kind of odd. I think Daphne is a better singer personally.

I still can't believe Daphne got no attention from that. They made a point of saying it was because society likes girls Maddie's age more than younger kids, but I actually disagree. I think if that was real life everyone would want to talk to both girls. Maddie about her breakdown on stage and Daphne about being brave enough to restart the song on her own. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I still can't believe Daphne got no attention from that. They made a point of saying it was because society likes girls Maddie's age more than younger kids, but I actually disagree. I think if that was real life everyone would want to talk to both girls. Maddie about her breakdown on stage and Daphne about being brave enough to restart the song on her own. 

Yeah, Daphne was the hero of that performance and it always seemed like a ridiculous plot contrivance that not one media outlet was interested in her too. I think it would have made for an interesting shift in the dynamics of their relationship if Daphne had become the breakout star leaving Maddie behind. It would have been fitting given Maddie's many career missteps, which never seem to have lasting consequences beyond one or two episodes. 

Maddie cried poor little manipulated girl twice in the span of a few months to get out of record contracts - perjuring herself and publicly destroying her family in the process the first time (while blatantly trading on her famous parentage by adopting her mom's last name), and at great cost to her mom's struggling business the second time. She made that gaffe on tv about how great it was that her mom's death is getting her so much attention. There was the whole debacle of Clay's arrest. And now, her refusal to honour the terms of her contract may be the catalyst that takes down the whole label, killing her mom's dream. How does this girl not have a massive diva rep by now?

• Love 5

So I burst out laughing when Zach had his temper tantrums. Deacon had a total 'WTF...this dude is a child' look on his face.

Thank goodness the show avoided the soap opera 'Avery gets in an accident' cliffhanger. We've had what 2 or 3 of those on this show already haven't we?

I hate to say it but Juliette is starting to bore me.

After last season's 'Emancipate Maddie' silliness I thought her character improved as this season progressed. She was annoying at times but I don't hate her like I did at the end of last season. I've always liked Daphne and I'm glad she's being featured more.

This show has got to utilize Will more. I'm so glad he told off Zach - "The people who love me have always accepted me' - go Will!

Scarlett/Gunnar...ZZZZZZ

See y'all in January!

• Love 3

I listen to satellite radio and have no idea what is popular.  Have any of these songs become huge hits?  

I liked Maddie's song "Beautiful Dream" because it had a "Wicked Game" vibe.  Do any of these songs get played on commercial radio?

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:07 AM, CrystalMoon said:

I liked seeing Deacon and the girls driving down the road in the last scene. It totally went over my head that they were driving home from California like Rayna did. I thought they were just out for a drive on a nice afternoon. And I totally didn't understand Maddie's "I fee free" comment. I would've rather they just didn't talk or maybe started singing a song along with the radio or something rather than that cryptic comment.

I second your comment. I did not realize they were driving back from CA--perhaps because I was bored and had stopped paying close attention to the episode. Also looked liked they were going over the bridge on Natchez Trace outside of Franklin TN to me. I also did not follow the I feel free comment and wondered if I'd missed a scene--but was not sufficiently motivated to rewind to make sure I had not.

4 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I second your comment. I did not realize they were driving back from CA--perhaps because I was bored and had stopped paying close attention to the episode. Also looked liked they were going over the bridge on Natchez Trace outside of Franklin TN to me. I also did not follow the I feel free comment and wondered if I'd missed a scene--but was not sufficiently motivated to rewind to make sure I had not.

They probably were, since they film in the area.  They wouldn't have just gone somewhere out west to just film that scene.

• Love 1

true--and completely understandable but since it was recognizable (to me since I've been there) and the show is supposed to be in Nashville (as opposed to a show located in City X but we know films in Toronto. . .) it made it more confusing. I just didn't connect "driving back from California" at all though honestly I kind of forgot where the awards ceremony was!

• Love 1

Finally got to watch this since my Dish DVR didn't record and it took them five days to have it on demand. I did not understand at all where they were going with Alyssa kissing Deacon. What the hell was that about? I have never seen the actress before, but her role here seems to be a snotty know it all and I can't stand her or Zack. I know I am in the minority here but I think Deacon and the rest of the artists have a right to run their careers and Highway 65 the way they want to. Of course you can make lots of money by putting all of your artists in commercials and changing the lyrics of your songs to commercial jingles, but that is not what feels right to everyone. And people like Tim McGraw have had many, many hits and years of sold out concerts before doing commercials.

Scarlett needs someone to sit down and tell her she is either clinically depressed or bi-polar and needs some help. I really loved her character during the first season and now I groan whenever she appears. Gunnar has been her person forever, even when Saint Avery treated her badly before he became so goody goody. I still love the show and love hearing Scarlett and Gunnar sing. They can break them up as a couple, but not as a duo. Finally coming around to thinking Jessie may be OK for Deacon. But please God, not Alyssa. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

true--and completely understandable but since it was recognizable (to me since I've been there) and the show is supposed to be in Nashville (as opposed to a show located in City X but we know films in Toronto. . .) it made it more confusing. I just didn't connect "driving back from California" at all though honestly I kind of forgot where the awards ceremony was!

Oh, I recognized it was local but I understood the symbolism.  I only focus on the location specific details in that "oh, hey, I know that place!" kind of way.  ;-)

Anyone notice Juliette saying she's known Maddie since Maddie was a tater tot? Didn't she only meet Maddie in Season One when she and Rayna were forced together?

Also, why did the people at the Maddie executives party think that Rachel Bilson could sing? They went from wanting Maddie, the singer, to sing, to demanding that her record label representative sing? I was so confused.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, smartymarty said:

Anyone notice Juliette saying she's known Maddie since Maddie was a tater tot? Didn't she only meet Maddie in Season One when she and Rayna were forced together?

Also, why did the people at the Maddie executives party think that Rachel Bilson could sing? They went from wanting Maddie, the singer, to sing, to demanding that her record label representative sing? I was so confused.

They did meet in season 1, Maddie was 12/13. Juliette may have been exaggerating, but tater tot is not exactly a scientific term. She could have just meant Maddie was very young (which 13 is to some people) or that it seems like forever.

• Love 2
On 16/08/2017 at 4:52 PM, gaucho91 said:

Hopefully over the break someone in Lennon/Maddie's camp will tell her that singing with a mouth full of marbles is not cool and unique but just plain awful!

And also to stop making those faces. I can't even look at her when she sings, she's full of mannerisms.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, Madding crowd said:

I did not understand at all where they were going with Alyssa kissing Deacon. What the hell was that about? I have never seen the actress before, but her role here seems to be a snotty know it all and I can't stand her or Zack.

I'm also confused.  If this is a story about how this girl finds her true self as a country singing star, the writers can rethink that mess.  There's enough talent on the screen without trying to bring her up.  She is not a good match for Deacon-way too young and has no history in music.  She wouldn't fit it to the rest of his life and she's not so overwhelmingly special that he would give up his life for her.  Right now she's on my Irritating Wimmens List.  Tied for first with the roadie/equipment manager that's stalking Avery.  As for Zack. WTF?  When he came on, he was creepy with his "my mother and I listened to your songs..." and I really thought he was the stalker.  Nice red herring story, tho.  Then he takes over HWY65 and suddenly he's not momma's lucky little rich boy anymore-he's a supersmart business exec/mogul.  I didn't understand Will's attraction to him (other than the $$$ and stuff money buys) ((and that romance is over, right?)) especially when Zack broke up with his other bf so cruelly and let Will listen in.  [Danger, Will, Danger!]  Will deserves better.  And more singing time.

• Love 2

Daphne's a cute girl, and there would be ways of dressing her that would be quite flattering.  Unfortunately, the costume designers on this show are clearly ignorant to those ways. 

If Scarlett and Gunnar are going to remain on this show (and I vote no) then they need their own plot arcs, independent from each other, for a good long time.  Like, years. 

Maddie's award ceremony performance was like high school talent show level quality. 

Also, what happened to Hallie??

Edited by ladle
  • Love 1
On 8/11/2017 at 1:01 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

And I can't get over it the song drama. It was so stupid. The dramatics. Like with Maddie I sort of get it.. she's still a teenager but Juliette running away in heels and Deacon chasing her.. ew.  Was I supposed to be moved by this scene? I was laughing. Like these two people are grown ADULTS! 

Speaking of ew, occasionally I remember that Deacon and Juliette have slept together, and I get totally squicked out. 

I used to watch Girls on HBO OnDemand, and after each show, Len Dunham would come on and do a little vignette where she explained the episode.  I really wish we had that here, because I had no idea what was going on or what the showrunners were thinking with that Rachel Bilson parking lot scene.  The actors seemed slightly sheepish to be involved in it.

Juliette and Avery continue to be adorbs. 

• Love 2
On 2017-08-25 at 0:42 PM, ladle said:

I used to watch Girls on HBO OnDemand, and after each show, Len Dunham would come on and do a little vignette where she explained the episode.  I really wish we had that here, because I had no idea what was going on or what the showrunners were thinking with that Rachel Bilson parking lot scene.  The actors seemed slightly sheepish to be involved in it.

I read somewhere (I think it was TVLine) that the kiss as originally written was supposed to be the culmination of sexual tension that had been building between them since she first appeared, but when it came time to shoot it the actors had to point out that wasn't what they'd been playing. It got turned into the weird "it just seemed like you needed that" that aired rather than just cutting it altogether. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Bubbles said:

I read somewhere (I think it was TVLine) that the kiss as originally written was supposed to be the culmination of sexual tension that had been building between them since she first appeared, but when it came time to shoot it the actors had to point out that wasn't what they'd been playing. It got turned into the weird "it just seemed like you needed that" that aired rather than just cutting it altogether. 

Yeah.. Rachel's character never had any sort of sexual tension with Deacon. If anything they should have tried to pair her with Gunner at a point. When she was arriving on the show I had assumed she would be a thing for Deacon but then the show was pairing Deacon and Jessie, he hardly interacted with Rachel's character.