Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Hella LA

• Start Topic

Kelly getting fingered under the table gave me life!  I thought she'd been drugged at first, with her eyes rolling back.   At least someone had a good time at the party.  I'm glad Tiffany wasn't there.  She's pretty annoying and one note.  

Molly's shock and awe over Dro had me rolling my eyes a little.  Not about the open marriage, but her denial that she actually liked Dro.  Molly made no attempt to speak to any other guy at the party, and shot down the few that Dro mentioned to her.  And it wasn't like Dro was discouraging her from socializing.  They were just too close.    

Folix may have been cute, but he was also a colossal dick.  Such a rude, insulting jackass.  I wish Issa would have pushed him in the pool.  And Issa tweeted that she based that scene off of a real life experience, poor girl.  I really liked her performance this week.  It's clear that while Issa is happy to get out there and enjoy her "ho phase", she's still awkward at heart and doesn't know how to initiate things.  Which I appreciate.  Dating is hard.  If she wants to hook up with Daniel for real this time, she should go for it.

The scene with Lawrence and the cop was brilliantly filmed.  Jay Ellis did a great job of selling Lawrence's fear, and his underlying hesitation to laugh at the officer's pathetic excuse of a joke.  An obvious power dynamic between the two men, which went right over the officer's head.

Anyone notice Lawrence drop his ATM card when he was searching for his license?  Which started off his interesting adventure.  Those girls didn't lie, they were trouble.  Ugh, such trash.  Once the fetishizing started, I hoped Lawrence would just push them off and leave.  Once I saw him parked in his car, I figured he was Issa's apartment, or Tasha's.  Can't say I feel bad for him there.

Chad is hilarious.  That is all. 

• Love 13

It's one thing for Molly to consider getting involved with a guy in an open marriage.  But is she friends with both the husband and wife in this case?  Maybe the wife would have a problem with the husband sleeping with someone who's a friend to both of them.

Issa mentioned in the wind down segment that she had a friend who was in one but hasn't acted on it.  Maybe she hasn't seen such situations go south.

Was it Dro who mentioned something about the pressure of being everything to one person?  

Somehow, for all the troubles Molly has had, I don't think Dro is going to end up being the guy she's been looking for.

Neither Lawrence nor Issa have had much luck apart from each other, though it looks like she's drawn to Daniel again.  Previous episode, it seemed Lawrence wanted to socialize more, at least with some of his co-workers.  But this episode indicates he's not going to be the player his buddy prods him to be either.

Until this episode, it seemed Kelly was never going to be at a loss for words.  

Edited by scrb
  • Love 4

Hooking up with a guy in an open marriage when what you want is a monogamous relationship is a terrible idea. Molly's already got feelings, Dro isn't going to leave his wife, and she's going to get hurt. It wouldn't be be just a hookup for her. I don't know why she doesn't get with Sterling K. Brown. Stop sabotaging your life, Molly!

That party looked like fun! Cat Bae was cute but he was rude AF. I'd have walked off after "you ever change [your hair] back?"

8 hours ago, Amethyst said:

The scene with Lawrence and the cop was brilliantly filmed.  Jay Ellis did a great job of selling Lawrence's fear, and his underlying hesitation to laugh at the officer's pathetic excuse of a joke.  An obvious power dynamic between the two men, which went right over the officer's head.

Anyone notice Lawrence drop his ATM card when he was searching for his license?  Which started off his interesting adventure.  Those girls didn't lie, they were trouble.  Ugh, such trash.  Once the fetishizing started, I hoped Lawrence would just push them off and leave.  Once I saw him parked in his car, I figured he was Issa's apartment, or Tasha's.  Can't say I feel bad for him there.

Yeah, I saw him drop his card. That scene with the cop was hard to watch given the current climate & Charlottesville. The fetishizing was gross. I was side-eyeing those women from the jump. I figured there was a threeway coming.

The show has figured out how to use Chad - small doses work best.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Hooking up with a guy in an open marriage when what you want is a monogamous relationship is a terrible idea. Molly's already got feelings, Dro isn't going to leave his wife, and she's going to get hurt. It wouldn't be be just a hookup for her. I don't know why she doesn't get with Sterling K. Brown. Stop sabotaging your life, Molly!

That party looked like fun! Cat Bae was cute but he was rude AF. I'd have walked off after "you ever change [your hair] back?"

Yeah, I saw him drop his card. That scene with the cop was hard to watch given the current climate & Charlottesville. The fetishizing was gross. I was side-eyeing those women from the jump. I figured there was a threeway coming.

The show has figured out how to use Chad - small doses work best.

I would disagree with you there - I could watch a whole show with Chad!

• Love 4

One of my favorite moments in this episode was when Molly came out to show Issa and Kelli her outfit and then she and Issa had a whole conversation that was half asked questions ("Are you going to-?") and noises. That is totally the kind of thing you do with your BFF because you don't even need to finish each other's sentences with words because you both know exactly what the other person is talking about.

Chad's mini rant about Joe, Chipotle, and tofu bowls ending with "Yeah, fuck Joe!" was hilarious.

I knew those girls at the grocery store were sketchy when they were so insistent on paying for Lawrence's alcohol. Part of me wanted to laugh when the blonde girl got all pouty because apparently none of the other guys they've had threesomes with had any sort of refractory period. "This is bull shit." The way she said it made it sound like she was annoyed that the cashier at Starbucks accidentally overcharged her.

Felix can fuck right off. I don't think Issa is any more beholden to keeping the same hairstyle (or uploading a new picture every time she changes her hair) than she is beholden to wearing the same outfit to the party as she's wearing in her profile picture. Get over it, dude. If you're going to lose interest in someone because her hair is different then good riddance.

Loved how every time other people tried to sit at their table, Kelli and shooed them away.

This is the second week in a row without Due North! Once it was clear that this episode was about going to that party, I was hoping that we would see Issa get home and watch some Due North. But we still got a tiny reference when Molly said she thought she saw the girl who plays Ninny there which totally got my hopes up!

• Love 3

Did we know before this episode that Lawrence went to Georgetown? And did we know Issa was a soror? (I'm guessing that's what the "marched with her" reference in the bar meant.)

No, Molly, no. Don't take Dro's word for it on the open marriage thing. You're not cut out for being a sidepiece anyway.

I think Lawrence just went to 11 on the cliche meter. Glad he ended up feeling hollow. He was basically used as $40 live sex toy.

"You ever switch it back?" Oy. At first I wondered if Felix was negging Issa. Then I wondered if he was on the spectrum. Ultimately I settled on "generic a-hole."

Chad is becoming Insecure's Charley from Black-ish. He's hit-and-run funny.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I would disagree with you there - I could watch a whole show with Chad!

Me too, I love him.

Molly go back to therapy!

I beg of you, please go back girl.

Until this episode, it seemed Kelly was never going to be at a loss for words.  

LOL

Yes he did do a great job. I loved at the end when the cop is using the word "beat" to refer to his team winning basketball games. Then Lawrence says something to the effect of "yeah, you beat us..." and you damn well he is NOT referring to basketball.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 7

Joimiaroxeu, I don't think Issa is greek because I am sure it would have been mentioned in passing in some way shape or form.  I took it as being a "woke" moment of the Women's March on Washington or some other march.  

Also, just realized that it is Tiffany in the Truth anti tobacco commercials LOL I see you. 

Edited by NYCNJbear06
  • Love 4

Did we know before this episode that Lawrence went to Georgetown? 

As a fellow Hoya, I've been tracking this. Yes, he has worn a Georgetown t-shirt while lounging around the apartment. And Issa said something once about him wearing a t-shirt with the name of his school on it to confirm to the audience that he went there.

I want to know the story behind him driving such a fancy car. As far as we know, he had been unemployed for the last couple of years and I believe we saw the car before he got his current job so he's been driving it for awhile. And a Jaguar seems like such an odd choice for a person his age.

I want all of Issa's wardrobe. Loved her outfit at the party.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, jayfay said:

I'm sorry but I think Daniel is not handsome at all. Issa can do much better because he is not attractive. 

I think he's handsome, rugged but def handsome. I'd take him over pretty boy Chad any day! 

Also, he and Issa have history, chemistry. Goes deeper than the superficial. I don't doubt Issa thinks he's foine. And he's no slouch in the sack ??

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 9

Man, Lawrence just seems lost.  When he was unemployed but with Issa, his professional life was shit but he had a stable girlfriend.  Now his professional life is great but he personal life is rather shit.  In his own way he is as awkward as Issa is in navigating new dating waters.  I wonder which he prefers?

That girl dancing for him was really one of the most awkward and cringey things I've seen on this show and that includes Issa's terrible attempts to meet men. I literally winced. And then it got worse because of the fetishizing shit.  He went from Issa to Tasha to these two girls who see him as a modern day black buck.  Eww.

I do give Jay Ellis the MVP award of the episode though.  Between his encounter with the cop and then with the girls, he ran the acting gamut between fear, anxiety, irony, awkwardness, weirdness and in the aftermath of that threesome, emptiness.

I always like it when the girls hang out.  Issa and Molly do have a great friendship and I agree with @ElectricBoogaloo about their verbal shorthand.  That is real BFF stuff right there.  I love the title of this episode was Hella LA because that party feels like something that would only happen in LA.  It doesn't feel very New York or NOLA or DC.  An man Felix can have three seats!  He was cute with his hipster glasses and all, but he was an asshole.

I hate that Molly was even a little tempted by Dro.  No.  She should have shot that down with not only a quickness but with a real conviction.  I hope she doesn't go there.  I was bummed we didn't get to hear more about that guy's theories on The Lion King.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, jayfay said:

I'm sorry but I think Daniel is not handsome at all. Issa can do much better because he is not attractive. 

His profile is amazing! I'm not too keen on him head on, though. 

Molly needs to leave Dro alone. Who knows what the rules of his and Candace's open marriage is, but I would hope that one of them wouldn't be including a childhood friend. There's too much history between Molly and Dro for it simply be something casual. I'm glad she backed off that first text she started and curved him in the end. Nothing good would've come from them sleeping together. 

On 8/14/2017 at 0:17 AM, Amethyst said:

Kelly getting fingered under the table gave me life!  I thought she'd been drugged at first, with her eyes rolling back.   At least someone had a good time at the party.  I'm glad Tiffany wasn't there.  She's pretty annoying and one note.  

Molly's shock and awe over Dro had me rolling my eyes a little.  Not about the open marriage, but her denial that she actually liked Dro.  Molly made no attempt to speak to any other guy at the party, and shot down the few that Dro mentioned to her.  And it wasn't like Dro was discouraging her from socializing.  They were just too close.    

Folix may have been cute, but he was also a colossal dick.  Such a rude, insulting jackass.  I wish Issa would have pushed him in the pool.  And Issa tweeted that she based that scene off of a real life experience, poor girl.  I really liked her performance this week.  It's clear that while Issa is happy to get out there and enjoy her "ho phase", she's still awkward at heart and doesn't know how to initiate things.  Which I appreciate.  Dating is hard.  If she wants to hook up with Daniel for real this time, she should go for it.

It took me a minute to realize what was going on. I was like "Is she about to pass out? Has the alcohol finally hit?" Like Issa, it took me until Daniel's text to understand what was actually going on. Lordt. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mozelle said:
21 hours ago, jayfay said:

His profile is amazing! I'm not too keen on him head on, though. 

Molly needs to leave Dro alone. Who knows what the rules of his and Candace's open marriage is, but I would hope that one of them wouldn't be including a childhood friend. There's too much history between Molly and Dro for it simply be something casual. I'm glad she backed off that first text she started and curved him in the end. Nothing good would've come from them sleeping together. 

On 8/14/2017 at 0:17 AM, Amethyst said:

It took me a minute to realize what was going on. I was like "Is she about to pass out? Has the alcohol finally hit?" Like Issa, it took me until Daniel's text to understand what was actually going on. Lordt. 

Yeah, I thought she had a brain freeze. My mind did not go there at all. I laughed too hard when she said "thank you" afterwards.

I do like that Lawrence and Issa are slowly realizing that ho phases aren't for them. It sounds fun in theory, but their personalities don't jive for those type of experiences. And that's okay. 

Molly definitely better walk away from Dro. Open marriage or not, I doubt Candace would be fine with them hooking up. From what I've heard, these things work best when you don't know the person. Besides, Molly wants monogamy and something serious. Which she could've potentially had with Sterling K. Brown, but she shit the bed on that one.  

There better be another episode of Due North this week. 

• Love 4

My mind didn't go there because I was, like, "What adult fingers women in public?" after Daniel texted Issa to tell her what was happening. I'm old. But good for Kelli! I thought she was having a seizure. She's steals the show every episode.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DearEvette said:

He went from Issa to Tasha to these two girls who see him as a modern day black buck.  Eww.

This bears repeating - WHERE is the condom usage, and why is it not depicted on this show? How difficult is it to do the "lemme grab something" motion? So bothersome, especially when we're exploring "ho phases." Also wondered if Lawrence would ask the white girls' ages - they struck me as teenagers.

No fan of the N word, used among the guys,  I "get it," but cringe when I hear the ladies rattling it off in everyday conversation. Constantly. I avoid using it, except for unique situations which are usually derogatory.

I'm a Gen X'er, maybe it's a generational thing?

PS - Like Issa, I grew up in Inglewood (which makes this show feel like "home" to me), but apparently this is a whole new era re: the depicted sexuality and language (?)

Again, may be a case of the olds. 

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 5

Issa did a tweet about the condom usage.  In the scene with the girls, there is a condom wrapper on the bed-side table.  She said the set gets dressed with condoms and the usage is implied but they will do better next season to make it more explicit.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Issa did a tweet about the condom usage.  In the scene with the girls, there is a condom wrapper on the bed-side table.  She said the set gets dressed with condoms and the usage is implied but they will do better next season to make it more explicit.

Thanks, glad to know it's being addressed!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jade Foxx said:

This bears repeating - WHERE is the condom usage, and why is it not depicted on this show? How difficult is it to do the "lemme grab something" motion? So bothersome, especially when we're exploring "ho phases." Also wondered if Lawrence would ask the white girls' ages - they struck me as teenagers.

No fan of the N word, used among the guys,  I "get it," but cringe when I hear the ladies rattling it off in everyday conversation. Constantly. I avoid using it, except for unique situations which are usually derogatory.

I'm a Gen X'er, maybe it's a generational thing?

PS - Like Issa, I grew up in Inglewood (which makes this show feel like "home" to me), but apparently this is a whole new era re: the depicted sexuality and language (?)

Again, may be a case of the olds. 

They kind of cut away as Lawrence was texting that he was with the two girls and one of them took a photo of her licking him in the face.

Then when they cut back to them, they were naked and he was already having sex with one of them.  So they really didn't show them using or not using a condom.  It may just be implied.

11 hours ago, dmnddoll87 said:

Molly Molly MOLLY!!!  Of ALL of the dudes to curve....you curve DRO?!? He would make me break all my rules....just sayin.  *Kanye shrug*

13380891_925475817561236_1271032468_n.jpg

Ha, he fine, but ... he's married. Curving him was the smartest decision Molly's made so far. But, I know she's going to give in. She wouldn't be Molly if she didn't. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

I don't find that guy attractive at all. Definitely not worth me being the other woman lol.

I'm not going to say he's unattractive, I don't like doing that, except to describe unattractive behavior.  And I really don't see him as unattractive he's just not my type. To me he's just an average attractive guy for those who are into his type. If I saw him on the street  he wouldn't turn my head negatively nor positively, I'd just be indifferent, he wouldn't register. For me, the Daniels of the world are definitely more attractive IMO than this guy.

Actually, the actor comes off better than the character. He was definitely coming off more attractive when he did the after show wine down with the woman who plays Kelly. That picture above doesn't help his case, I don't know what's going on in that picture, LOL.

• Love 1
On 14.08.2017 at 3:48 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Felix can fuck right off. I don't think Issa is any more beholden to keeping the same hairstyle (or uploading a new picture every time she changes her hair) than she is beholden to wearing the same outfit to the party as she's wearing in her profile picture. Get over it, dude. If you're going to lose interest in someone because her hair is different then good riddance.

Sorry, but she looked completely different. Camera angle changed her face traits (girls do it all the time to get cheekbones), longer hair gave her classy& more sophisticated look, not to mention her "quirky" style (thus voice remark). Overall, she was giving "Molly vibe" and I would be as disappointed as that dude IRL.