Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Avalanche

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Ok so I broke down and watched since it was the finale.  I loved the final scene with Uncle Daddy and soon-to-be-dead Juanda.  They really did love each other and I was sad for both of them.

On the other hand.....I was howling at the fight scene playing out to Whitney Houston, with Toby and Desna just watching the three idiots, and it was very realistic for them to hug it out at the end, crying and all.  I've got some uncles who did pretty much the same thing after they fought each other.

Dean gets on my fucking nerves.  I don't care if he's autistic, he's still got enough balls to tell Desna about making bad decisions, all while he knows full well that she's been taking care of his stank ass, and will soon probably be taking care of his stank ho's baby.  STFU Dean.   

I still think Polly would snatch the pennies off a dead man's eyes, so yeah no I don't like her.  Virginia either.

Wait! You actually LOVED something in this episode? Knock it off! LOL. You'll be back for season 2 and you know it. HEE!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Syndicate said:

There are definitely some answers needed as to why Jenn has a biracial child.  Is Brianne her biological child, which would mean her father is a man of color? And where is this man of color? Or was Brianne adopted? Ready for season 2, NOW!

This reminded me of one of my favorite lines. Polly asked Desna which of Jenn's daughter was kidnapped and had to be told "the black one!" because she doesn't know their names.

Desna's face during the fight was golden.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:25 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

The old ladies dancing to the Humpty Dance (and everyone being flummoxed, except for Roller who was bobbing his fool head).

Roller is ridiculous in so many ways.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

On a different topic, could someone clear up for me the blood/marriage connections are for Juanda, Bryce, Roller and Uncle daddy. I know Bryce and roller are blood brothers. Now was CLAY their brother of the boys Birth Father and he adopted them? WHere did Juanda fit in, and just for good measure, where does Toby go?

It seems like Uncle Daddy is Bryce and Roller's paternal uncle. When their dad died, Juanda and Clay raised the boys. I can see the Uncle Daddy moniker being a kludge. Bryce being the older of the two probably had already known Clay as Uncle Clay. Depending on how young Roller was, he might have started calling Clay "daddy." They might have settled on Uncle Daddy as a middle path. Toby appears to be Clay's side dick. I have no clue why Juanda was cool with Clay keeping Toby around.

Thank you HunterHunted.. now was Juanda the boys blood/Birth mother or was she just Clay's wife.  I only ask this because either boy does not seem particularly upset at her death. ..as she did not seem too heartbroken at Rollers demise.

18 hours ago, Syndicate said:

I REALLY hate that Juanda was killed in this episode! She proved herself to be kickass, and like Roller, should have been made a regular. I think Virginia's brat has to be Dean's, for the sake of REAL conflict at least. Who cares about Roller being the father? He's a renowned manwhore who likely has children on all four corners of the Earth. There are definitely some answers needed as to why Jenn has a biracial child.  Is Brianne her biological child, which would mean her father is a man of color? And where is this man of color? Or was Brianne adopted? Ready for season 2, NOW!

Brianne's dad is in jail.  Come on, Jenn seems like the type - not a surprise at all. Her voice, her mannerisms - it's obvious. 

Edited by mochamajesty
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Syndicate said:

Wait! You actually LOVED something in this episode? Knock it off! LOL. You'll be back for season 2 and you know it. HEE!

I didn't mean to keep you up at night worrying if I was watching.

I will probably watch the first episode in the new season but I can think of at least four plots that will turn me off again like this season:  1) The Russians, 2) anything involving Dean, 3) anything involving Virginia, especially that pregnancy, and 4) anything involving Polly.  So that's a large part of the series and I suspect that I'll do the same thing I did this time--check out until the finale.

On a different topic, could someone clear up for me the blood/marriage connections are for Juanda, Bryce, Roller and Uncle daddy. I know Bryce and roller are blood brothers. Now was CLAY their brother of the boys Birth Father and he adopted them? WHere did Juanda fit in, and just for good measure, where does Toby go?

I THINK this is how it goes: Bryce & Roller are actual brothers. Their father Clay (?)  was killed (perhaps Uncle Daddy had something to do with it), so he adopted them and became their Uncle Daddy. Uncle Daddy was married to Juanda (whose family apparently did NOT approve, as she revealed in her death scene).  I initially thought Juanda might be trans, but the writers confirmed she was not. Toby is Uncle Daddy's boytoy.

7 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Thank you HunterHunted.. now was Juanda the boys blood/Birth mother or was she just Clay's wife.  I only ask this because either boy does not seem particularly upset at her death. ..as she did not seem too heartbroken at Rollers demise.

No, she was not their mother. Roller told Desna in the flashback episode, that his parents, actually he used the word family, were gunned down in front of the church they use to go to. 

Which leads me to my next observation, I don't think that Roller and Bryce are blood brothers. I keep listening for key pronouns and other words when I hear Uncle Daddy, Bryce and Roller speak about their father. I notice that when UD and Bryce were talking about what happened to HIS father, it just sounded like they weren't talking about Roller's dad. When Roller is talking about his family being gunned down when he was a kid to Desna in the flashback and UD taking him under his wing, he never mentions his brother to Desna. He never mentions Bryce. It would make more sense  to me that if they were biological brothers who were growing up together before their parents were killed that he would have said that UD took he and his brother under his wing. Instead he made it sound like his entire family was wiped out. Just something that will have me thinking that they aren't biological brothers until I get specific confirmation. 

Hell, even when UD was talking to Roller in the finale about what a loser his father was, I don't even think the camera flashed to Bryce, to show his reaction at how negatively his "father" was being talked about. It was like UD was talking about Roller's father only and not Bryce's dad. Maybe Bryce and Roller had the same mother, but I definitely don't think they share a father. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3

Hell, even when UD was talking to Roller in the finale about what a loser his father was, I don't even think the camera flashed to Bryce, to show his reaction at how negatively his "father" was being talked about. It was like UD was talking about Roller's father only and not Bryce's dad. Maybe Bryce and Roller had the same mother, but I definitely don't think they share a father. 

I could see that....Perhaps Rollers father adopted Bryce as his own prior to his death. I just love that Clay and Bryce don't even flinch about accepting non-biological children their own. Even if Bryce/Jen were to split up, I get the impression that Bryce would continue to provide for both girls and wouldn't give up on Brianne just because she isn't biologically his.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

I THINK this is how it goes: Bryce & Roller are actual brothers. Their father Clay (?)  was killed (perhaps Uncle Daddy had something to do with it), so he adopted them and became their Uncle Daddy. Uncle Daddy was married to Juanda (whose family apparently did NOT approve, as she revealed in her death scene).  I initially thought Juanda might be trans, but the writers confirmed she was not. Toby is Uncle Daddy's boytoy.

There was an interview posted with one of the show runners a while ago early on in the season. It explained that Roller and Bryce are biological brothers and Uncle Daddy's nephews, whom he adopted as his own after his brother was murdered. Clay is Uncle Daddy's first name.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Rahul said:

There was an interview posted with one of the show runners a while ago early on in the season. It explained that Roller and Bryce are biological brothers and Uncle Daddy's nephews, whom he adopted as his own after his brother was murdered. Clay is Uncle Daddy's first name.

That's the way I understand it.

The square dancer seemed awfully interested in what they were saying.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but maybe not.

I figured maybe he was ex-Mossad and his ears perked up at the mention of Russians mobsters. However, undercover DEA works too.

Did the producers know the show had been renewed when thus episode was filmed? It all seemed to me like it could've been a show finale until that moment at the end with Dr. Crime Lord. Maybe the last scene was tacked on once they knew they got the green light for season two?

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Did the producers know the show had been renewed when thus episode was filmed? It all seemed to me like it could've been a show finale until that moment at the end with Dr. Crime Lord. Maybe the last scene was tacked on once they knew they got the green light for season two?

I wondered about that myself. 

I cant belive I was actually surprised at the doctor being a mob boss, you guys totally called it! Also called Virginia being knocked up. Oh joy. Wont that just be fun?

I liked the finale, I'm super pumped for the second season already. So much went down, and it led really well into what could happen next season. Reva is an awesome villain, and I'm glad she lived to fight another day. Her and her posse of heavily armed old ladies! That was so awesome. Also, her lackeys apparently call her mother, even if she tells them not too. What is it with Florida based crime bosses and their weird parental issues with their henchmen?

Other favorite scenes:

Polly and Dr. Ken trying to comfort the teenager who almost got sold to an Elvis impersonator (because of course), and Dr. Ken trying to be a badass with Bryce.

Polly only knows Jens daughters as "the white one" and "the black one".

Roller bobbing his head to the Humpty Hump dance.

Its weirdly sweet how Bryce and his family totally consider Brienne to be their family, even though she pretty obviously isn't Bryce's bio daughter. I assume the other daughter is his, but I guess we don't know her sure. Uncle Daddy is a mega creep, but he does seem to love his family, in his own way. Except his brother apparently, who I'm still pretty sure he had killed.

The talk about the Dixie Mob gives me serious Justified flashbacks. I keep waiting for Wynn Duffy to show up.

I'm not really a Virginia fan, but I love her outfits.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

It was kind of pathetic that the Dixie Mafia only had Bryce and Dr. Ken as muscle. I mean that hippie guy who Bryce killed was apparently UD's boss, so UD doesn't appear to be even at the same ranking level as Desna's Dr..  Next season,  I need to see more muscle when it comes to the Dixie Mafia, because it can't just be made up of the dead hippie guy, UD, Bryce, and Roller. The Haitian mafia is in this large warehouse with all this muscle. They're patting visitors down before they go in to see the big guy. Where is this in the Dixie Mafia operation? I mean Reva has muscle from millennials to baby boomers and beyond watching out for her ass.  

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3
On 2017-08-15 at 1:59 AM, HunterHunted said:

I have no clue why Juanda was cool with Clay keeping Toby around.

I'm not cool with the thought of Uncle Daddy moving toby into Juanda's house and taking over her things. Hope the story doesn't go there. 

On 2017-08-16 at 2:17 PM, tennisgurl said:

Reva is an awesome villain, and I'm glad she lived to fight another day. Her and her posse of heavily armed old ladies! That was so awesome. 

Reva is very intimidating. She does not mess around. I'm glad she was nice to Brianne to the point that the little girl wanted to stay with her! 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Mrs OldManBalls said:

I'm not cool with the thought of Uncle Daddy moving toby into Juanda's house and taking over her things. Hope the story doesn't go there. 

Reva is very intimidating. She does not mess around. I'm glad she was nice to Brianne to the point that the little girl wanted to stay with her! 

I think Toby already lives there.

Reva is a smart person. She didn't get where she is by being dumb or impulsive. She didn't earn her tattoos by having a hair trigger. Hurting or traumatizing Brianne gets her nothing. Brianne is a child with no useful information (at least for now). Returning a visibly tortured Brianne dead or alive, gets her nothing because it's so demoralizing that Clay and Company would go kamikaze style scorched earth where everyone ends up dead. No one thinks you can reason with a person who tortured and murdered a child. The best option is to treat Brianne well. Dead or alive, it shows that you're not an unreasonable sadist. Furthermore, Clay's crew is unbelievably sloppy. If Reva has a decent enough rapport with Brianne, Brianne might accidentally slip information to Reva.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4

I have no clue why Juanda was cool with Clay keeping Toby around.

And, as she put it in her death scene, she knew Clay was a "c*********" when she married him. Actually, I can see Clay marrying Toby...not because he wants another spouse, but because then Toby can't testify against him (spousal privilege.) I hope the show runners think of this.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, vmcd88 said:

What kind of doctor is the Haitian drug dealer?

I think he's a gynecologist, supposedly. I'm not sure he has a medical license something that I want answered next season.

I loved the wardrobe, the lighting everything that made the Dr. look like an entire different character in that final scene. I knew it was the same guy but the acting, his suit, he facial expression even something about his right eye that I didn't notice before, made him look like a totally different person and that was before he opened his mouth to speak. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

I loved the wardrobe, the lighting everything that made the Dr. look like an entire different character in that final scene. I knew it was the same guy but the acting, his suit, he facial expression even something about his right eye that I didn't notice before, made him look like a totally different person and that was before he opened his mouth to speak. 

I swear, that right eye looked red, like he was the devil or something.

8 hours ago, kwnyc said:

And, as she put it in her death scene, she knew Clay was a "c*********" when she married him. Actually, I can see Clay marrying Toby...not because he wants another spouse, but because then Toby can't testify against him (spousal privilege.) I hope the show runners think of this.

When I read your post, my first thought was "GENIUS!!!!!" If you have a twitter account, I'd encourage you to tweet it at them.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Spousal privilege isn't a blanket excuse for immunity. Privilege would only apply to conversations between Clay and Toby during the marriage. Anything that happens before that isn't privileged.

But, it would be hilarious if the Dixie Mafia doesn't know that and they think Clay marrying Toby is the answer to everything. 

• Love 3

You know I still don't get what happened to Reva's niece. I'm guessing she's dead because we only saw the baby in the finale. Or maybe they sent her back to Russian? But what happened to her? Did she die giving birth? 

And so all that money that Roller was giving the Russian's...that was child support? And what did he do with the rest of the money? Because clearly all the money didn't get to the Russians. He was keeping it for himself, so what did he spend it on?

Edited by Keepitmoving

Wasn't some of the money for Desna  -unknown to her- since Roller found out (in those flashbacks ) Uncle Daddy wasn't going to give Desna a fair cut and Roller wasn't okay with her getting screwed. I don't understand  the whole story with the niece either and where she's suppose to be.

5 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Wasn't some of the money for Desna  -unknown to her- since Roller found out (in those flashbacks ) Uncle Daddy wasn't going to give Desna a fair cut and Roller wasn't okay with her getting screwed. I don't understand  the whole story with the niece either and where she's suppose to be.

No, apparently nothing is for Desna at the end of it all except the fucking blame for every damn thing *eye roll.* At least, that was my perception. I thought I actually loved this season, but upon further reflection it kinda pissed me off on behalf of Desna. This show might be on the cutting block for me sooner than I thought. And they better had start next season with not playing Desna for a fool when it comes to the "Dr." It's fine that he hid his true "profession" but they better not act like he was trying to set Desna up or play her. That will make me tune out for sure. They better not act like it was just that Roller was a two bit hustler as the reason why Desna didn't see a real future with him. They better act like it was his lack of fucking manners and respect  with way he was treating Desna before he got strangled and shot. They better not act like the Dr. is not the definition of a gentleman in how he treats Desna, despite his line of work. That is a very clear positive distinction when comparing one hustler to another.  Because I sure as hell don't want to see Roller smirking all in Desna's face because her Dr. is really a thug. Yeah, this show is about to try me.

Reva's niece: Another character whom I'm sure we'll meet when the plot really calls for it.

Well, here's me hoping it never calls for it. I don't need to ever meet her and she's seventeen to boot. 

Edited by Keepitmoving

I'm going to have to  watch Ambrosia again. I could have sworn Roller was pissed that Desna wasn't  appreciative of what Roller did, get her some money that Uncle Daddy wasn't  going to give her in the beginning, I thought some came from the Russian thing. So some of the money she was getting in the beginning of getting involved with the guys/clinic. Which course it was completely dumb of Roller to be mad about because Densa didn't know a damn thing about  it all that time. She did know Roller screwed other women and didn't treat her right; it felt like the show thought it evened it out. The holes in some of this Roller story,  including the random baby/niece issue makes me wonder how quickly the writers worked on it once  they decided Roller was going to stay around, and if that effected hown quickly Quiet Ann and the cop was wrapped up (it still makes me mad they didn't address the possibility of if she was using Quiet Ann.)

I agree I don't  want to see Roller rubbing it in Desna's face about the "doctor." So far he's been good  to her and he may be hiding his real line of work but he has a long way to fall to reach Roller's level of shit. 

Edited by Gigi43
On 8/13/2017 at 8:37 PM, Keepitmoving said:

Now what the hell happened between Roller and that Russian seventeen year old girl? I couldn't get what that was all about. I know the baby that Riva was holding was that girls. But I just couldn't get what Roller did to her.

Roller got her pregnant and abandoned her.  

On 8/13/2017 at 7:04 PM, kwnyc said:

Watching Desna's reactions as the upper hand kept changing was worth the price of admission.

That and her look when the "boys" were fighting.

14 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Roller got her pregnant and abandoned her.  

But something is still off for me because I don't get why Desna would be surprised if it were just about child support for a baby. Because in episode 8, Reva sat down and told Desna about how Roller ended up working for her. She said it was a story that required three coats of Teatro. So for me, leaving the  baby and Olga out of the story she told Desna, if the baby was the main reason doesn't make sense.

And again Reva left that part out because it was extremely clear to me that Desna along with Clay and Bryce were learning of this Olga and her baby for the first time. It was clear Desna knew about all the money he owed and that shell company he set up, but she did not know the rest. Why would Reva leave that out? Yeah, they need to fine tune a bit of this writing. Also, I still want to know who the other dead body in the boat belonged to. That was Roller's boat, who did he kill and store in that boat?

I am NOT a Roller fan, and I laughed out loud when the crew picked up Desna and slammed the van door in Roller's face. PTSD or not, I really feel nothing but loathing for him. No pity from me. 

Juanda was badass! I love Dale Dickey, and I'm sad we lost her character.

"Yard onions and conditioner." I'm gonna need to meditate on that for a while. 

Lol at the Husser men fighting like animals in the strip joint, then weeping and making up. Desna's face was priceless. Toby did NOT like being called an idiot. I wonder if he will stick around.

Sooooooo many patterns on Uncle Daddy and them when they strolled up for the sit down with Riva. 

OMG! Old ladies with guns!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!! Riva is a BOSS BITCH!!!!

Uncle Daddy being at the mercy of a woman and having to go to POC for help seems like poetic justice. 

That scene when the ladies all opt to go with Desna was awesome! I really love these characters. Pushing forward to season 2! Well, I was, until I realized that it wasn't yet available on Hulu. Damn!