Type keyword(s) to search

Mike & Molly - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Mike is really looking good. I like his hair. I heard an interview on NPR with him. He seems like a nice guy-very family oriented. Good to see Aunt Rosemary but, hopefully, this is her last appearance. Great Mom speech at the end from Peggy.

• Love 2

That was some twist at the end.  Proves the old saying "There are 2 sides to every story."  I like Aunt Rosemary (Margo Martindale is great) but I can see why Peggy wants to keep her distance.  Sometimes siblings are meant to be friends.

• Love 2

I love drunk Molly! She is so adorable but I wouldn't think so in real life. The show did get the Gender Communication correct. Women are Process Oriented, while men are Product Oriented. Usually, women like to talk about it but men like to fix it.

"Are you going to watch this (hockey) period or have a period?"  Best line of the night!  And delivered by Samuel.  It was a good episode last night.  And, yes, the communication styles were great.  I tell my hubby all the time he would enjoy a pedicure/foot soak.  Mike proved it.

The show did get the Gender Communication correct. Women are Process Oriented, while men are Product Oriented. Usually, women like to talk about it but men like to fix it.

I disagreed with this and it annoyed me. Mike was right, Molly knew full well what she was signing up for when she agreed to work for Peggy, and for her to just want to vent about it to Mike was unreasonable. That's his mother. Nobody knows what Peggy's like better than Mike. I get the whole "men don't listen" argument in general but on this specific topic Mike had a reasonable response.

• Love 2

I disagreed with this and it annoyed me. Mike was right, Molly knew full well what she was signing up for when she agreed to work for Peggy, and for her to just want to vent about it to Mike was unreasonable. That's his mother. Nobody knows what Peggy's like better than Mike. I get the whole "men don't listen" argument in general but on this specific topic Mike had a reasonable response.

I wasn't claiming either of them were right or wrong. I was just commenting on gender communication styles. Women do have the tendency to want to talk, and men have the tendency to try and fix it. Although, I agree with you that Mike had a reasonable response. Molly's beating a dead horse with all her complaints. It was nice to see that she likes Peggy, even a little...

• Love 2

As of the MAy 4 eppy, is the Molly actress really losing some serious amazing weight or am I confused? Wow.

As of May 11, Molly looks the same to me, but Victoria is huge. I had to look twice in one scene because I thought she was Molly.

Melissa has been losing weight and it looks like Katy Mixon is picking it up. I wonder if she's preggers. I read somewhere that she's dating Bobby Deen so maybe his mother is fattening her up.

I'm really glad Carl didn't propose and was hoping they'd break up for good. I hate when tv shows keep relationships confined to a tight circle of people. Plus I don't like the actor/character.

I like the drunk Molly too. Melissa does a great job with it. My favorite time was when she came home from Peggy's house with a pocketfull of walnuts because Peggy had been throwing them at her head.

• Love 1

I read that Katy and Bobby broke up - in fact I think he is now married to someone else.  Last season it looked like she was pregnant and now it looks like she has nursing boobs.  But she looked great in that dress.

I really liked last night's episode.  The twist of Carl changing his mind.  The twist of Victoria not really wanting too.

Ah thanks, I did wonder. 

If I were the actor who plays Carl I'd be pretty pissed by now, he's the only character who has to keeping having jackass moments in order to serve a story arc.  Also, that Memory Window was in fact better off in the bottom of Lake Michigan.  (I will never understand why people create this kind of sentimental clutterbilia, because now you're stuck displaying it forever and lugging it from home to home, since you can't very well throw it away.)

Someone took me on that boat tour of Chicago once, for a first date.  That was how I discovered that I get seasick.

• Love 2

Not much to laugh at this episode. I'm not into angst in my sitcoms. I feel bad for Carl. Yeah, he was an ass but Mike and Molly surely could have come to a better conclusion somehow than to leave him out entirely. I loved every minute I lived in Chicago. This show does a great job of showcasing the city.

• Love 2

I was hoping that Carl and Victoria would see each other from across the room and end up together, but they had to make Carl a loser again.  I wonder what his grandmother thought about him being upset that he was being rejected by his 'family'.  She's his family (she gives him tough love, but he needs it).

I laughed when Carl said 'Basketball on the radio?  That's just a bunch of squeaky sneakers.' (but I swear I've heard it before.  I guess on another show, unless they recycled it on M&M before).

I agree, they do a great job of showcasing Chicago. 

There are some TV jokes that get recycled to the point where I know when someone's going to use them.  Like if someone says they left someone in the car and the other person says horrified "you left them in the car?" you know exactly what the next line will be, right?

The problem here is twofold. Mike was really to blame for the dustup between Carl and Victoria because he never should have blabbed to Molly that Carl said he was going to propose. He should have known Carl was reacting to a near-death situation and given him time to calm down and get over that. He also had to know Molly would blab to Victoria. So it was him that got this ball rolling, really. 

On the other hand, Carl behaved childishly when Victoria said she was relieved he wasn't proposing, like he usually does. And I can understand him being upset but showing up at the anniversary party dis-invited and with a hooker (if that's what she was supposed to be) was over the top. So both Mike and Carl come off looking pretty bad in all of this.

I do agree Melissa's weight loss is starting to show, I've been noticing it for the past few episodes.

• Love 3
(edited)

I hated this episode.  M&M treated Carl badly.  Grow a pair Mike and tell your wife that your best friend is coming to the party.  I cringed when Nana trashed Carl to Mike.  I felt so badly for Carl that I couldn't enjoy the episode.  It made the two main character look like jerks.  

I know.  It's only a sitcom.

Edited by monakane
  • Love 3

I'm only still watching this show out of inertia.  Mike and Molly are horrible people, which I would forgive in a sitcom if they were also funny but they're not.  Carl is always the go-to character for making M&M look less horrible by comparison.  I hate how they write him.  I also hate that his Nana runs him down all the time. 

If anyone blabbed to me that someone was going to propose that would be the end of our friendship, because now I would know two things about them: 1) They didn't give a good goddamn that they were ruining the fun and surprise of a proposal for me, and 2) They would never keep my confidences.

• Love 4

I hated this episode. M&M treated Carl badly. Grow a pair Mike and tell your wife that your best friend is coming to the party. I cringed when Nana trashed Carl to Mike. I felt so badly for Carl that I couldn't enjoy the episode. It made the two main character look like jerks.

I know. It's only a sitcom.

But it's becoming more of a romcom or romdram (is that even a thing). Too many sitcoms are forgetting why their audience tuned in in the first place.

I just caught this episode the other day, having missed it the first time. I thought it was pretty funny, first of all, because my husband has an old car he's attached to that our son drives now...a 1993 Toyota Corolla that seems destined to last forever, too. Then when Mike started driving Peggy's car and the Oak Ridge boys song came out, I was laughing so hard I nearly fell out of my chair, especially when Samuel and Carl joined in.

• Love 1

Just wanted to say, I saw Spy today. Loved it! From the opening sequence with a James Bond song to the after the credits scene of the ace spy in bed, just continuous laughing. All actors did a great job.

I saw one of my favorite episodes today at lunchtime, 'Vince takes a bath'.  That is one of the funniest episodes of all.  When Molly slipped and fell head first into the bath with Vince and when she fell on top of him while trying to get him back on the couch, it was funny, but not too over-the-top. 

And when Molly was telling Victoria about having to 'rescue' Vince from the bathtub and get him back on the couch:

Molly:  'I can still hear his squeaky butt cheeks dragging across the bathroom tiles.'

Victoria:  'Stop it Molly, you're scaring me!'

• Love 6

This show started going downhill when they had Molly quit her teaching job and it became the Molly show.

Once they decided to fix something that wasn't broken it became a lost cause.  Add to that the erratic scheduling and the lost of viewers is understandable.  It's too bad, because this was once a good show but it was done in by TPTB....

• Love 1

Did something major happen between Carl & Mike on last season's finale?  Because I was so totally thrown off by them fighting last night.  Seemed right out of left field for me.  Also, last time I tuned in Carl was dating Victoria so I was also thrown off to hear her slamming him.  I love this show but actually locating it has always been a big problem.  CBS has constantly screwed around with its time slot.  I missed most of the episodes last year clearly as I was so lost when I tuned in last night.

Yeah, I can't remember what caused the rift between Carl and Mike either. I remember Mike and Molly had an anniversary party on a boat towards the end of last season and Carl and Mike got into it and the present she'd gotten him went overboard during the scuffle but I can't remember what the basis of it was.

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if the show might have done better to focus less on Carl, Mike and Samuel and spend more time with Molly's family because that's really where the laughs are. I've gotten really tired of Carl, he's basically and overgrown man-child and there's too much time spent on Mike and Carl stories. Meanwhile Victoria and Joyce are criminally under-used; they tend to get two or three lines an episode and that's about it. You don't waste the considerable talent of Swoosie Kurtz that way and Katy Mixon is hilarious too. Why don't they get better stories?

Without going back to look, I think Carl and Victoria broke up and Carl was pissed that Mike didn't invite him to the party or disinvited him.  And he showed up anyway with a rent a date or a stripper or something. 

This episode reminded me that I actually like the character of Carl better than Mike.  In that I feel he has more range and is played funnier.  Mike works better as the straight guy surrounded by the various levels of crazy.  And works well when he finds the common ground of reason, even odd reason.  Like with Molly's mother.  Or even Vince.  When Mike is part of the crazy, or the crazy itself, it just isn't very funny.  Or at all.

Did Molly's 'you need one of my stories" seem to take a bizarre attempt at ubiquity?  Like it was this laughable long established trait of hers?  Yet I swear it was the first time I had seen it exhibited. 

I did like that Molly could not prevent herself in regards to the 'NPR' voice.  I have a sister who starts mimicking other people without realizing it.  Sometimes to hilarious effect (she does Australian and Irish like a native -- often confusing those talking to her  because they thought they were talking to an American who suddenly sounds like their neighbor) and embarrassing effect more often (some realllllllll horrific anecdotes regarding some mortified but incredibly polite and understanding Asian people of various nationalities).  The best story regards her being on hold with one of those automated voices and her actually sounding a bit too much like Siri when she got off.  So I found Molly automatically doing that pretty funny.

I did like that Molly could not prevent herself in regards to the 'NPR' voice.  I have a sister who starts mimicking other people without realizing it.  Sometimes to hilarious effect (she does Australian and Irish like a native -- often confusing those talking to her  because they thought they were talking to an American who suddenly sounds like their neighbor) and embarrassing effect more often (some realllllllll horrific anecdotes regarding some mortified but incredibly polite and understanding Asian people of various nationalities).  The best story regards her being on hold with one of those automated voices and her actually sounding a bit too much like Siri when she got off.  So I found Molly automatically doing that pretty funny.

Molly's NPR voice was the best part of the show. 

Your sister's accent story is hilarious!  When I came in from riding bikes and Queen Victoria was making dinner, I always knew my mother had invited her British friend to tea.

There are some TV jokes that get recycled to the point where I know when someone's going to use them.  Like if someone says they left someone in the car and the other person says horrified "you left them in the car?" you know exactly what the next line will be, right?

What?  I cracked the window.

• Love 1

Did Molly's 'you need one of my stories" seem to take a bizarre attempt at ubiquity?  Like it was this laughable long established trait of hers?  Yet I swear it was the first time I had seen it exhibited. 

I felt that way, too.  But then I was already pretty much lost what with Mike & Carl fighting and Victoria & Carl being split up, so I figured it was just one more thing I must have missed along the way.   Very strange feeling to this episode all around.