Type keyword(s) to search

Mike & Molly - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like Molly and her mother and sister just fine.  I love Carl and his grandmother.  I love Mike's mother.  And that is it.  Mike, Vince and the rest could be written out tomorrow and I think the show would do just fine.  Just change the title to "Molly".

And I think as the show included more characters and gave them larger roles the show suffered.  Well on top of what the writers did to it.  People have gone to jail for less.

Not sure if this is the right thread,so I apologize in advance. I just started to watch this show on various channels showing repeats. I am enjoying it a lot but I have a question. When did Molly and Mike move from the basement to back in her bedroom? What happened? TIA

I was wondering that myself when lo and behold they had an episode on explaining it. I'm not sure the exact timeline but it must have been around the time she quit her job. On the episode she was telling Mike that moving back upstairs would be better for her writing.

I enjoy the show for the most part but hate all the drug and drinking stuff. There's way too much of it and imo it's just not funny. It's even made me dislike Swoosie Kurtz and I use to love her.

On the other hand I LOVE Mike's mom and Jim. The writing for her is hilarious and the actress delivers the lines perfectly. I don't like her dating the captain but I think that's because I don't like Gerald McRaney. I liked the guy from Newhart alot better. I can't remember...was he Larry or one of the Daryls?

• Love 3

I too am not sure if this is the right thread but I'm curious about something regarding Melissa McCarthy.  I seen  a few stories and photos of her regarding her slimmed down figure, most recently at last Sunday's Peoples Choices Awards, where she did look a lot slimmer.  My question is when were the current episodes of Mike & Molly filmed, because she looks bigger than ever on the most episode I watched on CBS last week.  Could they possibility have her in a fat suit?  If so, why would the TPTB not include her weight loss in the storyline, since she and Mike met a an OA meeting in the beginning of the series?  I'm just confused about the difference in her "live" appearance and her character's appearance.  Anyone else notice this inconsistency in her weight or am I off base?

Edited by momtoall

I don't know how Molly got into so much credit card debt.  I don't see any signs of that in her mother's house, which she lives in rent free.  She comes off as entitled, instead of being grateful that she is surrounded by people who put up with her bullshit. 

During a couple of episodes she mentions doing a lot of international traveling - Moscow, Prague, etc. (and going places multiple times), bringing her mother and/or sister.  I think that might be one of the holes she fell into...

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 1

I liked this most recent episode, even though it seemed like a long PSA.  Loved Peggy showing up at the imaging center. 

I know it's not reality, but I would hope the Chicago PD would require physicals of its officer at least every other year, if not annually!

It got awfully close to a "very special episode" territory, but it made me laugh a lot! Vince's "balls, bat, and the dug-out" still makes me giggle. I couldn't stand Vince or Victoria in the first season, but now they're my favorite characters.

• Love 2

I started watching this show in re-runs recently, now watching first runs on Monday night.  I really like it.  The mom and sister are bit over the top but I enjoy all the characters.  I love the partners Grandma, is she still in the show?

They have got to get rid of the food/drink props. Make a joke...drink some wine. Make a joke...drink some coffee. Arghhh. So annoying. I think what finally pushed me over the edge was the episode where Jim eats a tampon. Molly and her mom are talking over breakfast and Swoosie Kurtz has a big bowl of what looks like oatmeal in front of her. She's chowing down on it like it's her last meal. Joke oatmeal...joke oatmeal. Dear Prop Master: I will pay you to get rid of some of that stuff!

I'm just going to throw this out there and run away, but I don't like Mike.  I think that the actor that plays him is the weak link in an otherwise stellar cast. This last episode reminded me that he brings folks down to his level (Mike/Molly's mom).

• Love 1

I don't like Mike either, (I think moreso for me, I don't like the actor).  I didn't like him on that CBS comedy either...he played a security guard on a studio lot.  semi recurring role.  Can you tell...I have NO IDEA what the name of that show is.  LOL

Wow.  No thoughts on the last two episodes?

I kinda liked how they gave everyone something to do the week Mike and Molly were left at home.  Mike and Molly had their own storyline, of course.  Joyce and Vince had a storyline, and although it was a small one, Carl and Victoria had their own storyline, too.  They stopped focusing just on the two title characters.

And this week, I kinda like how Mike finally stood up to Peggy, though it was funny that Molly felt terrible that she'd missed it.

• Love 3

I kind of stopped watching the show when it became less about two fat people in love and more about Molly being a bitch and her pratfalls (because fat girls falling down and going boom is always funny). There's just so much wrong with this show now, and each commercial I see for it makes me more annoyed. Molly keeps procrastinating on her book and yells at Mike, but suddenly she's finished one, found a publisher, and got it published? At least it failed. But of course, the fey guy at the end of the episode I'm assuming is her publisher gives her a giant advance for her next book?

The real heart of the show turned out to be Mike and Victoria. I remember they had some great scenes together. 

• Love 1

I kind of stopped watching the show when it became less about two fat people in love and more about Molly being a bitch and her pratfalls (because fat girls falling down and going boom is always funny). There's just so much wrong with this show now, and each commercial I see for it makes me more annoyed. Molly keeps procrastinating on her book and yells at Mike, but suddenly she's finished one, found a publisher, and got it published? At least it failed. But of course, the fey guy at the end of the episode I'm assuming is her publisher gives her a giant advance for her next book?

The real heart of the show turned out to be Mike and Victoria. I remember they had some great scenes together.

I love the pratfalls! She's great at physical comedy. I watch sitcoms to laugh, not to engage in romcoms. As long as it's funny, I'm in for good old escapism where I don't have to keep up with the plot. Big Bang used to be like this but now all it is is rom-com- without the com...

• Love 1
I love the pratfalls! She's great at physical comedy. I watch sitcoms to laugh, not to engage in romcoms. As long as it's funny, I'm in for good old escapism where I don't have to keep up with the plot.

I have no issue with sitcoms as mindless escapism; in fact, I frequently make the argument for them. What bothers me is that Melissa McCarthy is such a pretty woman, but I feel that they have her doing the physical comedy stuff just because she's a fat woman. Also, I think they made Molly become such an unlikable character. 

• Love 1

I was wondering about the renewal of this show in relation to Melissa McCarthy. I thought she might want to go do movies full-time - maybe for better money and personal preference. But maybe she's under contract for seven years or something ( I think I heard that was a standard number for TV shows) or she really liked making the show. 

I have no issue with sitcoms as mindless escapism; in fact, I frequently make the argument for them. What bothers me is that Melissa McCarthy is such a pretty woman, but I feel that they have her doing the physical comedy stuff just because she's a fat woman. Also, I think they made Molly become such an unlikable character.

Well, I hope that isn't the reason. I've never seen her in any films, so I assumed she is known for her physical comedy. I agree, some episodes go over the top on meanness. Even the old ones.

It didn't look like it was going to be that good so I took a shower and came back at the very end when Molly said (paraphrasing) "you were so brave to survive that nightmare." So what was it, domestic abuse?

I don't like Very Special Issue Episodes of comedies either. Right now I can't think of a single exception.

Last night's episode was a great one.  The chemistry between Molly and Peggy works so well - why they don't utilize it more is beyond my comprehension.  If there was a flaw - it was that it ended way too soon.  I would have loved to have seen Mike's hug for his Mom.

• Love 1

It didn't look like it was going to be that good so I took a shower and came back at the very end when Molly said (paraphrasing) "you were so brave to survive that nightmare." So what was it, domestic abuse?

I don't like Very Special Issue Episodes of comedies either. Right now I can't think of a single exception.

Her mother was abused by the Dad and when he would approach Peggy, her mom stepped in and took the abuse. Peggy left and felt as if she abandoned her mom. This sounds so depressing as I write it, but the writers leveled it well with comedy.

• Love 2

I too think the writers did well with this.  I know after my mom died I experienced a lot of "I should have done this and that" (no abuse) so I could relate to Peggy's regrets or thinking you should have done something differently as the daughter.

I cannot stand Swoozie as the mom.  I wish they would have had a more average size woman so she looked more like the 2 daughters.  Her character is over the top, and not in a good way.

• Love 3

Her mother was abused by the Dad and when he would approach Peggy, her mom stepped in and took the abuse. Peggy left and felt as if she abandoned her mom. This sounds so depressing as I write it, but the writers leveled it well with comedy.

Peggy is my favorite character.  It was nice that they gave her some character development.  The two actresses were great together.  Very well written episode.

• Love 4

I too think the writers did well with this. I know after my mom died I experienced a lot of "I should have done this and that" (no abuse) so I could relate to Peggy's regrets or thinking you should have done something differently as the daughter.

I cannot stand Swoozie as the mom. I wish they would have had a more average size woman so she looked more like the 2 daughters. Her character is over the top, and not in a good way.

I'm sorry for your loss. I think that's normal for most children. I was lucky to be able to stay with my Dad the last month. He reverted to child and I became the mom. It was sweet.

Off topic, sorry.

• Love 1

A sweet episode. I'd prefer funny to sweet but it was fine. Mike either really has lost a lot of weight or they're dressing him in tighter clothes that fit him better. He looks nice. I love the counselor; he has a good dead pan delivery. I've seen him on other shows.

• Love 1

lol - that counseling scene.  "You aren't going to do that again, are you?"  "no." "Okay then, let me update your file."

I really liked that one blouse Molly was wearing in the kitchen scene with Victoria.  Good to see their friend back.  Loved his shouting out at the meeting.

I can believe they really did lose weight, because their faces have changed so much and they look great in general.  Good for them both!   

The entire episode, I kept waiting for someone to explain that you can't actually gain five pounds from one piece of pie. 

That you can't, as in can not.  Unless the piece of pie has 17,500 calories.  Which it probably does not, unless it's a pie in Giant Land.  :)  Which is why I kept waiting for someone to tell Mike he was feeling bad for NO GOOD REASON.  It's funny what a lot of misinformation there is out there about calories - as if they were subjective, and not math.  Like I often see people talking about "eating clean" to lose weight, as if a thousand calories' worth of cashews are somehow not going to count since the cashews are raw and organic.  If only.

That you can't, as in can not. Unless the piece of pie has 17,500 calories. Which it probably does not, unless it's a pie in Giant Land. :) Which is why I kept waiting for someone to tell Mike he was feeling bad for NO GOOD REASON. It's funny what a lot of misinformation there is out there about calories - as if they were subjective, and not math. Like I often see people talking about "eating clean" to lose weight, as if a thousand calories' worth of cashews are somehow not going to count since the cashews are raw and organic. If only.

Sorry, read that wrong! I just quit smoking and have gained eight pounds, so I'm really calorie conscious. I guess, like Mike, I'm blaming weight gain on everything else....

I thought that counselor was rather savvy. He basically told Mike at the outset he was going to clear him (so the cop wouldn't get all squirrelly about having to bare his feelings in order to get off a suspension and thus act overly defensive), but he had to stay the hour (thus upping the chances he'd start talking just to pass the time).

The episode was ok, but Mike and Molly are just so darn cute together, I caught myself smiling at the end. I'm glad they acted like a typical sitcom married couple at the beginning. She wasn't comfortable telling him the truth which led to the comedic situations at the party. A few giggles, so worth the watch.

• Love 1

I just watched "Pie Fight" and I can so relate!  I've been in Weight Watchers for nearly 5 years, and I know from experience how much my weight can fluctuate day-to-day.  I can easily gain 3 pounds overnight - it's not fat, it's usually water retention.  Just eating a salty meal can make me gain, again, water.  And it isn't easy, it's hard, and it's not fair!

Love that Mike opened up to the counselor without realizing he was doing so.  And Molly was great after she realized he was opening up and telling the uncomfortable truth to her.

I liked Monday night's episode also.  For a bit, I thought Carl and Samuel weren't going to be in it, so it was nice to see them at the bar.

I really like Molly and Mike together.  I'm happy that they seemed to have dialed back on Molly's pratfalls and obnoxious behavior.  Not that there still aren't moments.  But it's better now, IMHO.

• Love 2

Molly was adorable when trying to coach the mother. Totally inept. Mike and Carl were cute with the topless women. Carl even became bored with breasts! Kathy Bates is great in everything! I was afraid she came back to die. I'm glad the show didn't go there. I can understand her pessimism. Kevin Carter was a photojournalist who committed suicide three months after winning the Pulitzer Prize for a photograp of a starving toddler with a vulture in the background. Below is a link on Wiki and the picture. Warning, it's graphic.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter

• Love 4

Thanks for the link. I just think this show could be better, they go for the cheap laughs all the time. Still love Melissa McCarthy though.

Yeah, I hate obvious punch lines. The Big Bang Theory used to be one of my favorites, now they're no surprises. I just started watching M & M a year ago, so the bloom is not off the rose yet. Last night was a repeat of the Halloween episode where Samuel was Sponge Bob! So funny.

• Love 1

I can't warm up to the Kathy Bates character. For one thing I don't buy her being friends with Peggy. It might make more sense if they were related somehow or had grown up together but they're such opposites. Also the character was sort of built up to be too awesome to be true. I didn't have that problem with the Susan Sarandon character because even though Molly initially worshiped her like she worships Kathy Bates, the Sarandon character turned out be a dysfunctional drunk.

I still like when they use Peggy though. Unfortunately both Swoosie Kurtz and Katy Mixon have been criminally under-used this season.