Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Part II

Drogo
  • Start Topic

I stil maintain Cora is not triggered by that specific song but by the NOISE of what could be any song. They did some foreshadowing regarding this condition, specifically her need for quiet and her jumpiness around loud sounds. 

• Love 2

Why would inmates play pranks on someone who wasn't sentenced to prison yet, that person might actually go free and then they could pay other inmates to make your life a living hell. Why play pranks on someone who might be an insane violent murderer.

I really want to stick with this but the flashbacks are just too much. The mother is so over the top and I just don't want to see a father in his daughter's bedroom in his underwear, slowly closing the door. Ugh. And I could see Cora's lie about the hookup coming from a mile away. 

While I do think the pacing of each ep is good, I'm already questioning why this story needs to be 8(?) eps. I really hope the "why" is worth it.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
typos are bad
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

I stil maintain Cora is not triggered by that specific song but by the NOISE of what could be any song. They did some foreshadowing regarding this condition, specifically her need for quiet and her jumpiness around loud sounds. 

I feel like it's pretty clear that it is that song, which doesn't mean that she isn't also upset by other unrelated sounds.

Haha, I have songs that "trigger" me (for lack of a better word). While I do not murder anyone, I do feel a definite flash of being on ecstasy when I hear one of them. It goes away fast but, yikes, for a tiny second I almost feel my pupils dilating! The other just makes me feel like something drunkenly fun yet vaguely embarrassing is happening, but I cannot recall what. I've asked friends what this could be but the problem is they were likely drunk too, so no luck. Oh, misspent youth.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I'm not liking the unreliable narrator thing with Cora.  I think the "can we believe anything that Cora says?/watch the detective chase a lot of false leads" is annoying and it's just been done to death.  I thought the revelation that Cora hit Ambrose in the exact same spots that she hit her victim was so random - it's supposed to MEAN SOMETHING! but will probably just pan out and be forgotten by next episode. The flashbacks with the mother make me angry - if she was that religious and controlling, that could surely mess a person up.

That female cop is just spilling her guts to Cora's husband - wonder if they're just friends or have a history that goes deeper.  I'm still bored with Bill Pullman's situation - reconciling with wifey, breaking up with side piece and he's a bird whisperer.    Snore.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2

You eat that chocolate bar little Cora. Man that mom is nuts. The aunt should have tried to take her away under the pretence of giving the mother more time to focus on the sick kid. Clearly they don't have enough room if the dad needs to bunk with Cora. With a family like that I would lie to everyone and tell them they were died too. 

If the song is the trigger maybe they should follow it to it's origin and start there. If it's a shitty song written by some garage band died guy was in it shouldn't be that hard. 

Oh detective "I know you knew him Cora. A witness said the victim recognized you and decided to stop fighting you. Even though most people would assume that with all the blood gushing from his throat he lost all strength to fight. I'm sticking with you must have known each other." They probably do know each other but that is one dumbass way to get that. Plus even if he did do some super shady awful thing to Cora why would he or anyone be like sure kill me I deserve it. No just no. 

How many times do you need to hit someone it the same 7 places in order to get that sequence ingrained in your muscle memory/subconscious. Just another convoluted way to connect two points together. 

Ellen May became a cop look at that. She won't stay one for long if she keeps telling the husband classified information. I thought it was weird that he didn't sit behind his wife in the court house. He isn't a very supportive husband so I don't feel bad at all of he gets backlash for being married to a murderer. And how could he not put it together that she has sometime of sexual trauma. She practically strangled him when he tried to go down on her.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I really want to stick with this but the flashbacks are just too much. The mother is so over the top and I just don't want to see a father in his daughter's bedroom in his underwear, slowly closing the door. Ugh. And I could see Cora's lie about the hookup coming from a while away. 

While I do think the pacing of each ep is good, I'm already questioning why this story needs to be 8(?) eps. I really hope the "why" is worth it.

Are they trying to say that something happened with her father? It was a very weird scene and I only caught part of it. The dad was sleeping in Cora's room because the mom wanted the sister in their bed? 

2 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

You eat that chocolate bar little Cora. Man that mom is nuts. The aunt should have tried to take her away under the pretence of giving the mother more time to focus on the sick kid. Clearly they don't have enough room if the dad needs to bunk with Cora. With a family like that I would lie to everyone and tell them they were died too. 

Seriously, the mom insane. At least Cora got a little candy. 

I like the unreliable narration and trying to figure out what she knows and remembers (and lies about), and what she's suppressing.

• Love 7

This show is so cheesy, over the top, and, at times, stretching to make things connect. I rolled my eyes so much that I'm even having a hard time remembering all the parts that made me skeptical. A couple that i do remember are:

- the mom buried the chocolate in its wrapper, in a cloth pouch, in a hole six inches deep. She might as well have fed it to her then and there.

- cora did not hit him hard enough to leave those bloody, bruised welts.

- the bartender recalled such specific details about a random patron at her bar 5 yrs ago

I will continue watching only because i can't say no to snark-worthy television.

• LOL 3
  • Love 18

I almost think that Jessica Biel isn't Cora, but Phoebe (the sickly sister). They keep showing flashes of an outgoing blond girl who keeps saying things like "Come on!" while walking towards a door and showing that strange wallpaper pattern..

• Love 17
11 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I bought the Kindle book today so I don't have to wait 6 more weeks for an answer. The answer in the book may not be how they decide to play it in the series, but at this point I just want something to make sense.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

I bought the Kindle book today so I don't have to wait 6 more weeks for an answer. The answer in the book may not be how they decide to play it in the series, but at this point I just want something to make sense.

Goodness, please post spoilers once you get to the end! I added a book vs TV topic to let others who feel the same off the hook.

6 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Are they trying to say that something happened with her father? It was a very weird scene and I only caught part of it. The dad was sleeping in Cora's room because the mom wanted the sister in their bed? 

I think we're in "what could have possibly happened to her to make her snap?" mode. At this point, nothing is certain and everything is guessed.  We've got spec that she was molested by her father, raped by the guy she killed, raped by someone else, husband is creepy (so maybe something wrong there?) and other typical scenarios we encounter in 'woman haunted by past' stories.  I think we've guessed almost everything but it's unlikely that it all happened to her. 

The straight story is that the father slept in Cora's room.  I think they're planting suspicions but aren't going to confirm or deny those until later in the series.

6 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

I like the unreliable narration and trying to figure out what she knows and remembers (and lies about), and what she's suppressing..

I don't mind it either because I don't really see it as unreliable narrator.  When she was telling her story, the narrator/POV was the cop's in the course of his investigation.  And part of his investigation had a woman who was not being honest with him. 

• Love 2

Well....

I enjoyed episode I, if only because of the pacing, the cinematography, and Jessica Biel's surprisingly strong performance. 

Episode II lost me, to the point that I'm not sure whether to give it one more episode or not. 

It seemed as though this entire episode was pure, unadulterated treading water. No new revelations, no entertaining set pieces, little deepening of characterization, and, most damningly of all for a show like this, little real suspense or forward momentum. 

Of course, a certain amount of water treading, intentional misdirection, and time wasted on red herrings is par for the course for a program like this, in which a storyline that could easily be told in one or two episodes is stretched out for eight to ten. However, even assuming that there will be numerous red herrings, and entire episodes dedicated to dead ends and false leads, I expect to be entertained in the meantime. This episode failed to do that. 

So unless I'm missing something, this episode accomplished the following: We were taken on a wild goose chase, involving Cora being involved with the victim, only to find it was a dead end. (But far worse, it was not particularly interesting, and I'm pretty sure that most viewers figured it was not true from the beginning.)

We learned that Cora was damaged by her religous fanatic mother. (We already knew this.) 

We learned that Cora has suffered some vague sexual/ cult like abuse, in obscure flashbacks involving lace curtains. (We already knew this.) 

We learned that Cora continues to have sexual issues, probably due to being sexually traumatized at some point. (We already knew this.)
We learned that, though well intentioned, Cora's husband is almost laughably insensitive to her needs and fears. (We already knew this.)

We learned that Cora is being dishonest, but whether in many small ways or in a larger calculated way is yet unclear. (We already knew this.) 

We learned that though incest/ sexual abuse has yet taken place in the scenes between Cora and her father, there continues to be a seriously weird vibe there, that may bode ill for the future. (We already knew this.)
We learned that Cora may not want to return to her old life. (We already knew this.)

As for all of the scenes pertaining to the private life of Bill Pullman's boringly masochistic detective, I fast forwarded through every one of them. Those of you who managed to sit through them are far more patient than I. 

Thus far, the only thing that's really struck me about this series is that Jessica Biel can actually act. From what I've seen of her in serious projects in the past, she always struck me as a fairly weak actress, whose main asset (I assumed) was her beauty. But she is fantastic here. I can only assume she got better with age. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I really want to stick with this but the flashbacks are just too much. The mother is so over the top and I just don't want to see a father in his daughter's bedroom in his underwear, slowly closing the door. Ugh. And I could see Cora's lie about the hookup coming from a mile away. 

My biggest fear is that the "why" will turn out to be a red herring--

And that (in the vein of "Side Effects" and Gone Girl,) Cora will end up being a total sociopath whose been manufacturing a bunch of "mental health issues" to fool those around her from the beginning. (Of course, some of the aspects of her backstory would have to be true in this version, but that would not necessarily be what is motivating her.) 

In this particular version, Cora's story would end up being "revealed" towards the end, and that it would end up being something that vindicates her, making it either look like a case of justifiable homicide or an incidence of temporary insanity. After Cora is cleared and gets her life back, Bill Pullman's character finds out some minor detail that gives him a "eureka" moment, and he realizes that Cora has pulled the wool over his eyes and fooled everyone. In the end she smirks evilly, and gets away with it. 

Anyway, I am hoping to goodness that this is NOT the route that the story takes. It would be both blatantly obvious and a cop out. 

Still, I figure this story can only go one of three ways:

1. Cora is a liar/ manipulator, and is playing everyone around her for the long game. 

2. Cora suffers PTSD from being molested by her father/ and or some sort of religious cult. 

3. Cora hated her life so much she murdered a man to get out of it. 

Or, I guess, some combination of one or more of the above. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I almost think that Jessica Biel isn't Cora, but Phoebe (the sickly sister). They keep showing flashes of an outgoing blond girl who keeps saying things like "Come on!" while walking towards a door and showing that strange wallpaper pattern..

I had the same thought.

11 hours ago, Hazel55 said:

My biggest fear is that the "why" will turn out to be a red herring--

And that (in the vein of "Side Effects" and Gone Girl,) Cora will end up being a total sociopath whose been manufacturing a bunch of "mental health issues" to fool those around her from the beginning. (Of course, some of the aspects of her backstory would have to be true in this version, but that would not necessarily be what is motivating her.) 

In this particular version, Cora's story would end up being "revealed" towards the end, and that it would end up being something that vindicates her, making it either look like a case of justifiable homicide or an incidence of temporary insanity. After Cora is cleared and gets her life back, Bill Pullman's character finds out some minor detail that gives him a "eureka" moment, and he realizes that Cora has pulled the wool over his eyes and fooled everyone. In the end she smirks evilly, and gets away with it. 

Anyway, I am hoping to goodness that this is NOT the route that the story takes. It would be both blatantly obvious and a cop out. 

Still, I figure this story can only go one of three ways:

1. Cora is a liar/ manipulator, and is playing everyone around her for the long game. 

2. Cora suffers PTSD from being molested by her father/ and or some sort of religious cult. 

3. Cora hated her life so much she murdered a man to get out of it. 

Or, I guess, some combination of one or more of the above. 

One scene that made me think Cora is playing everyone revolves around the chocolate scene. She had this look of glee on her face as she ate the chocolate. It made me think she knew her mom would find the hidden items in the chest, and then bury them for Cora to retrieve later.  I felt Cora appeared to feel like she outsmarted her mom. 

• Love 2

It's rather obvious that the set up is supposed to be that Cora was assaulted while the music was playing (or being played live at a party or something). Probably by more than one guy. And yes her mom is nuts. I can't imagine growing up like that. I'm not convinced that the father did anything to her sexually at this point.

I also am not enjoying the detective's personal story. It's boring. And is it just me or is her husband's mother a bit overbearing too? I'm sure they're nice people, but I certainly wouldn't want to live that with the mother undermining me with my child every chance she gets.

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 3

I went into this with low expectations, so I have been pleasantly surprised. When Cora told the story about knowing Frankie as JD, they'd had sex, she'd gotten pregnant, etc., I thought, well, case closed, how are they going to stretch this out over six more episodes? Then all the holes in her story began to appear. I'm still interested.

And goddamn if I wouldn't I'd be digging up that chocolate bar. Nobody messes with my chocolate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On August 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM, AnimeMania said:

That is exactly what I think; the child playing Phoebe looks more like Jessica Biel than the child playing Cora.  The child playing Cora is blonde as was the blonde girl in the very first scene of the first episode.

I don't think there was any sexual abuse with the father or anybody else.  A person doesn't need to have been assaulted to  have issues around sex.  The title of this show is "the sinner," some people believe that pleasure=sin.  Cora's mother believed that Cora eating chocolate was a sin, and that it was causing her sister's illness.  If Cora is really Phoebe that explains a lot, as Phoebe was right in the middle of the religiosity, people saying the Rosary over her, etc.

Frankie's girlfriend said that Frankie had some intense connection with a woman, some kind of accident happened and Frankie changed, that was five years ago.  Cora said she met Frankie five years ago. She was lying about the details, but maybe there was some truth to the story.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Sammich said:

One scene that made me think Cora is playing everyone revolves around the chocolate scene. She had this look of glee on her face as she ate the chocolate. It made me think she knew her mom would find the hidden items in the chest, and then bury them for Cora to retrieve later.  I felt Cora appeared to feel like she outsmarted her mom. 

Oh wow, I took that scene so differently lol. Cora did appear to have a look of glee on her face as she ate the chocolate, but earlier her mother told her that Phoebe wasn't getting better because Cora accepted the chocolate from her aunt. I assumed Cora was sick of her mother blaming her for Phoebe's illness, and so she decided to just go eat the whole candy bar in hope that it would cause Phoebe's death. Not sure why, really.

Edited by Caseyh1981
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, Neurochick said:

That is exactly what I think; the child playing Phoebe looks more like Jessica Biel than the child playing Cora.  The child playing Cora is blonde as was the blonde girl in the very first scene of the first episode.

Interesting I think the little girl playing Cora looks exactly like JB and her hair seems already leaning brown not blonde, reminds me of my own hair at the exact same age that darkened during my teenage years.

• Love 3

I finished each of the first two episodes with the "I guess I'll keep watching but I'm not sure why" feeling.  So far, nothing about it has been compelling or even really suspenseful - just dark and trying-too-hard to be weird (especially the detective's character as a dominatrix-visiting bird whisperer).  One thing that does make me curious is the seven stab wounds in the same places as the seven punches to the detective - is there some sort of Catholic symoblism about the number or the placement?  Otherwise,  meh, good enough for summer fill-in but that's about all.    

• Love 3
4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

On 8/10/2017 at 7:56 PM, SoSueMe said:

The actor in the husband role looks like a young Mandy Patinkin.

shia le bouf (however it is spelled!)

He's Christopher Abbott. He played Charlie in Girls.

• Love 2

Finally dawned on me this episode where I've seen some of the other actors before.  Female cop (that may or may not end up being a thing with Cora's husband.  Just speculating) was Elle May from Justified, while Ambrose/Bill Pullman's partner was Psalms in Hell on Wheels!

Since it is only the second of eight episodes, I knew Cora's story was going to end up being inaccurate in a lot of ways, but I suspect some truths will be in there, like the song and its connection.  If the victim really couldn't be there at the time, maybe it was another band member?  And maybe whatever happened actually happened to Phoebe/the sister and Chloe herself.  Who knows at this point?

All the flashbacks continue to be creepy.  Chloe's over-religious mother is nuts.  And I really hope the father didn't molest her.  Not only gross, but overplayed a lot on television.

Still don't care about any of Ambrose's personal life.  Even if it's always great seeing Katheryn Erbe.

Still sticking around, due to wanting to see where this goes and Jessica Biel continuing to be pretty good in this.

• Love 1

Ambrose's weird personal life is still super boring. I do like Katheryn Erbe though, so maybe I will like it more eventually. Maybe he has bird powers?

I'm still liking the show. My new theory is that Cora hooked up with this JD guy at the bar while she heard this song in the background, and left her sister (who got better, and became a party girl in her teens/20s to make up for her childhood in bed rest) with some guy who later raped and killed her, or just killed her, or something like that, and she eventually found the guy and killed him. Or she turned the song up while she found and killed the guy later. She feels guilty for leaving her younger sister with a sketchy guy because she wanted to get her groove on, retroactively making everything her mom said true. She did get her sister killed by "eating the chocolate", except this time with a new sin. That's why the flashback to the chocolate, and her eating it. She feels guilty for breaking her moms rules, even years later. Frankie might not have had anything to do with it at all.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong. I hope its not as simple a story as "Cora was raped or molested while that song played" and that's what triggered her. Its the Go To Backstory for most troubled female characters, especially ones who attack men, and rather predictable.

• Love 3

I love Bill Pullman, have for years, and I'm a little sad so many seem to find him boring or weird. He was ridiculously appealing in While You Were Sleeping, but it's The Zero Effect that bowled me over. He was downright brilliant and strange and wonderful in that, and I think he's vastly underrated. But anyway. I think he looks good and his character is  just off kilter enough to keep me interested, even if I do find his dominatrix stuff kind of not interesting.

So far, finding this fairly compelling and want to get to the bottom of it all. Biel is holding her own very well, imo. Every time I think I might have a clue where it's going, it swerves slightly. And I love Christopher Abbott, if not his character, so far. It's a short run, i'll keep watching.

• Love 12
On 8/10/2017 at 10:28 AM, patty1h said:

I'm not liking the unreliable narrator thing with Cora.  I think the "can we believe anything that Cora says?/watch the detective chase a lot of false leads" is annoying and it's just been done to death.  I thought the revelation that Cora hit Ambrose in the exact same spots that she hit her victim was so random - it's supposed to MEAN SOMETHING! but will probably just pan out and be forgotten by next episode. The flashbacks with the mother make me angry - if she was that religious and controlling, that could surely mess a person up.

That female cop is just spilling her guts to Cora's husband - wonder if they're just friends or have a history that goes deeper.  I'm still bored with Bill Pullman's situation - reconciling with wifey, breaking up with side piece and he's a bird whisperer.    Snore.

I was excited about this show, but I think I'm about to pull the ripcord.  I wasn't even going to watch this episode, but I was surfing Ondemand for Broadchurch and saw it and I thought I'd give it another shot.  There's just no one to like in it.  Cora's the most depressing person in the world.  She never smiles, she just kind of sits in banged-forehead stupor all the time.  Pullman's character is kind of disgusting all the way around.  His wife (where do I know her from?) was having surgery so he just nipped home to spray some trees.  Really?  She should have kicked him to death with her bionic knee.  Cora's husband and family are being painted as unsympathetic.  But, I get it.  It looks like a close family.  Mom and Dad are trying to help out as much as they can.  Mom keeps the niblet every day to Cora to suffer at work where she works with Dad.  Mom is helping out.  She's probably saving them a ton on babysitting and it's better for niblet (can't remember his name unless it's Cole, maybe) to be with his grandmother than a stranger.  Dad probably pays Depressa Annie's husband well because it's his son.  They have a case of enmeshed family, but that doesn't make them villains.

And, of COURSE her mother is religious because what would a show featuring a Christian be if that person weren't evil.  So, YAWN!  And that's not enough, so let's pull out the old molested by a Christian as well.

Add it all together and you've got this pitiful excuse for a show.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm outie.

EDIT:  I went online and read the book spoilers and I won't spoil the show for anyone, but I will say tropes, tropes, tropes, and old worn-out stories on display.  I'm gone from this one.

Edited by smorbie

Kind of off-topic, but I followed the sad Caylee Anthony story years ago and the very involved, somewhat believable story that Cora told about "JD" reminded me of what a skillful liar Casey Anthony was (at least in the short term). Like, why would she lie about something so easily disproved?

• Love 1

I thought it was weird that all the inmates were just hanging out outside their cells??  I know this is normal in minimum security where the inmates are non violent, but Cora plead guilty to murder.

I'm glad Cora went back to eat the candy bar!  Her mom is nuts.  Although I thought the baby sister was dead based on how sickly she looked in the last episode, so I'm glad that's not the case.  Wouldn't ants/bugs have eaten the candy bar though??  These are the things I think about.

The husband guy is strange.  I like Bill Pullman but yeah the angsty detective is WAY played out.  Jessica Biel is good in this.

• Love 4

Did Cora enlist at 18 to escape her family? Is that where she learned how to stab someone seven times in a precise pattern?

She started a new life, moving towns and getting a waitressing job in her thirties thanks to her aunt's recommendation... What did she spend her twenties doing?

I hope we'll get to meet the parents and aunt again through the detective, I'm looking forward to it.

The thought that she could actually be Phoebe is quite intriguing. It hadn't crossed my mind!

Lastly... I'm not getting weird vibes from Jon Snow, don't think the father molested her and am really enjoying this series so far! Party of one, then?!

Edited by GinnyMars
  • Love 5
On 8/14/2017 at 8:41 AM, luna1122 said:

I love Bill Pullman..[edit].. I think he looks good and his character is  just off kilter enough to keep me interested, even if I do find his dominatrix stuff kind of not interesting.

I am the other way around, I prefer the dominatrix, the wife seems boring. I don't know why he would put in the effort to win her back.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:00 AM, smorbie said:

Pullman's character is kind of disgusting all the way around.  His wife (where do I know her from?) was having surgery so he just nipped home to spray some trees.  Really?  She should have kicked him to death with her bionic knee.  

The only thing Pullman ever talks about is plants. He knows the scientific names of all the flora and is constantly obsessing about their health. A man's got to spray what a man's got to spay! If his wife would have kicked him a couple of times with her bionic knee, he wouldn't have to visit a dominatrix.

• Love 2
On 8/14/2017 at 6:03 PM, mostlylurking said:

I thought it was weird that all the inmates were just hanging out outside their cells??  I know this is normal in minimum security where the inmates are non violent, but Cora plead guilty to murder.

She hasn't been convicted. Even if she confessed, she is innocent until 'proven' guilty.   What did you expect, lockdown?  That only happens during fights or other high security situations. 

That was realistic. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mochamajesty said:

What did you expect, lockdown

Considering she already confessed, yes I thought it was strange. Like I said I know nonviolent criminals don't even have cells sometimes, but wasn't aware that murderers where allowed to roam around all day. But thanks for the education ?.

• Like 1

The producers have no clue about housing prisoners. Maybe the author doesn't either. If Cora hasn't been sentenced yet, she should still be sitting in jail. No way she's in prison.

And when she goes to prison, there's placement in the transitional unit while she gets assessed and classified. (Same issues drive me nuts with Orange Is the New Black.)

• Love 1

I am enjoying this show although it's going to get old with the ever changing stories. I don't like Cora's husband-he doesn't seem like a good guy. Her mother is right out of the book and movie Carrie. Honestly, I am a Catholic and the vast majority of Catholics are not abusive nuts. it is hard to watch the flashbacks from when she was a little girl. Why didn't the aunt or Dad intervene? The little girl could pass for Cora but teenage Cora looks nothing like Jessica Biel. 

I have always liked Bill Pullman and have a crush on him since Serpent and the Rainbow, but really hate the dominatrix stuff. Stuff like that should be kept private because it always makes the person look wimpy. It also doesn't seem realistic for a busy cop to spend his time researching a case where the person pled guilty. I am very intrigued as to what happened, particularly the memory loss. And a person with extensive memory loss like that needs to be in a mental health facility. Of course the jails are full of people who have mental problems. 

• Love 1
On 8/17/2017 at 8:28 AM, Madding crowd said:

It also doesn't seem realistic for a busy cop to spend his time researching a case where the person pled guilty.

This.  Also, does a case still go to trial if the person enters a plea of guilty?

My understanding is that the judge did not yet accept the plea as she wants to wait for the results of the competency hearing (which did not seem to be underway as of yet in this ep). Pullman's character is the one who asked the judge for this respite, because he wants to investigate further.  So she has not yet been convicted of any crime, much less sentenced.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 3
On 8/13/2017 at 1:01 AM, tennisgurl said:

I'm still liking the show. My new theory is that Cora hooked up with this JD guy at the bar while she heard this song in the background, and left her sister (who got better, and became a party girl in her teens/20s to make up for her childhood in bed rest) with some guy who later raped and killed her, or just killed her, or something like that, and she eventually found the guy and killed him. Or she turned the song up while she found and killed the guy later. She feels guilty for leaving her younger sister with a sketchy guy because she wanted to get her groove on, retroactively making everything her mom said true. She did get her sister killed by "eating the chocolate", except this time with a new sin. That's why the flashback to the chocolate, and her eating it. She feels guilty for breaking her moms rules, even years later. Frankie might not have had anything to do with it at all.

I like this theory! Not sure about the Frankie connection, but from what the barmaid said it doesn't seem like he was in the bar with Cora (at least based on hair color, though--as another poster said, how could she remember anyone from 5 years ago). OTOH, JD seems significant because it fits with what the barmaid said and Cora's husband used to hang with him--the conversation he had with the other guy about JD gave me the sense that there was something unsavory about JD. 

As a chocoholic who always feel guilty about how much I eat, I get how one kind of pleasure can get confused with another and how both can be associated with sin (even though I'm non-observant Jewish and don't have any religious hangups).

• Love 1