Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
MostlyC

A Thread for All Seasons: This Story Is Over, But Still Goes On.

Recommended Posts

Pretty sure the magic world I made in my backyard for my Barbie dolls when I was eight had more well thought out world building than Once did. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, Camera One said:

I was studying this photo of the United Realms once everything was brought to Storybrooke.  Did Regina only bring the major buildings over, or the actual land mass?  You'd think the Emerald City would be further away if the entire land of Oz was brought over.

latest?cb=20180915044026

Wow I did not remember it being that close together. Going by that picture it's a leisurely stroll from that castle in the foreground over to Storybrooke and onto Castle Knifington, and at most it's a day's hiking to make it all the way to the Emerald City. 

Do you think those hills in the background are meant to be Maine or more story world? Maybe the curse brought all the castles and landmarks close to Storybrooke to form a kind of downtown area then shunted all the countryside off to the periphery.

Share this post


Link to post

The last shot of the series was the camera panning away from the Leaving Storybrooke sign. Is it really "leaving Storybrooke" if you're just driving into Emerald City or Knifington Palace? It takes away the thematic effect when leaving Storybrooke no longer means returning to the real world and into the unknown, but just another jammed up kingdom from the series.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Speakeasy said:

Going by that picture it's a leisurely stroll from that castle in the foreground over to Storybrooke and onto Castle Knifington, and at most it's a day's hiking to make it all the way to the Emerald City. 

What happened to all those places that were already a day's walk from Castle Knifington or George's palace? Did the Emerald City get plopped on top of Camelot or Eric's kingdom? Did this scrunch George's palace even closer to Castle Knifington? It looks like it compressed existing worlds in order to bring in other worlds.

None of this makes any sense, and it's a solution in search of a problem. There was never any indication during the course of the series that the realms being separate was an issue, aside from when Emma and Henry were separated from the others during the curse reverse.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Speakeasy said:

Maybe the curse brought all the castles and landmarks close to Storybrooke to form a kind of downtown area then shunted all the countryside off to the periphery.

14 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

What happened to all those places that were already a day's walk from Castle Knifington or George's palace? Did the Emerald City get plopped on top of Camelot or Eric's kingdom? Did this scrunch George's palace even closer to Castle Knifington? It looks like it compressed existing worlds in order to bring in other worlds.

Can you imagine being a peasant, and your farmland got compressed, or relocated to Oz?  Seriously, Season 8 writes itself.  Good Queen Regina, My Aunt Fanny.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was looking at some of the other screenshots from that montage.

latest?cb=20181224042701

So this is pulling back from that castle which was in the foreground in the other shot, so this would be further from Storybrooke.

What town/castle is the building with the green roofs?  It looks like Arendelle, but the climate should be extremely different from Agrabah.

Did Agrabah have a bridge leading to it before?  So Regina got rid of the desert?

Then, there's Skull Rock.  Where's the rest of Neverland?

latest?cb=20181224042553

Why is the Beanstalk so close to Fictional Victorian London? 

Is the foreground the port town where the Jolly Roger liked to dock?  

The land of Untold Stories have been compressed into a single blimp, or is that it in the foreground?

latest?cb=20181224042435

And here, we have Pleasure Island on the other side of Fictional Victorian London.

Shouldn't it technically be closer to King George's kingdom?  

latest?cb=20181224042339

So the Disenchanted Forest is all the way over here, then?  Why did Alice's troll return?  Is anyone dealing with its latest rampages?  Plus Rapunzel's Tower has been rebuilt.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

“All your questions are pointless” - A&E probably 

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, they all look so insanely close to each other, when Regina pulled everything together, were people literally falling on top of each other as their worlds were combined? I kind of thought that maybe for most normal people, they could kind of just keep doing what they had been doing, sticking to their own lands, but that looks pretty impossible. I know that every land in this universe has like five people each, but this is so tiny it like she only took the landmarks from each land and left most everything and everyone else behind like a cartoon supervillain stealing national monuments. 

So, when Regina was "elected" Good Queen/God Empress, did every other leader just give up their claims to the throne? Is Elsa no longer a queen? Did fantasy Queen Victoria give up the throne (screw the divine right of kings/queens, our god has cleavage!) and the empire? Erics family? The emperor from fantasy China? Merida? Are they now downgraded to, I dont know, governors who take care of their specific areas on the day to day, but have to pay taxes and run all of their rules by Regina now? How do people from democracies like magic Kansas feel about being in an elective monarchy? Is Regina Queen for life, or can they have another election after a few years? How long did it even take them to explain democracy to people who have no concept of anything but hereditary based monarchies or other forms of government of that nature? And they did it all in secret? For my own piece of mind, I am just going to say that Regina only dragged the places that they had previously visited into this mess (I know that she said she brought all the realms into it, but...my mind just cant comprehend how that could even possibly work logistically or ethically) and not literally all fiction ever because there is just no way I can possibly buy that such an insane amount of people could live together so suddenly, all from insanely differing levels of technology, society, magic, magical creatures, animals, etc. and be cool with all of this, and that this wouldn't just turn into a total disaster as they had to explain to like a trillion people that they have just been conquered I MEAN SAVED by God Queen Regina oh and this is a voting station now vote for who is going to be the ruler of everyone now oh you had a leader well you dont anymore LOL you can vote here oh look there is only one option go figure...

Third world dictatorships have more legit elections than this! I dont even get why this was the happy ending, is this something anyone actually wanted? What I thought would happen was that they would connect all the worlds by portals based in Storeybrooke, with Storebrooke as a sort of multiverse way station, so people can go from one place to the next easily (or even more easily than it was by the end) but this? Like so much of this show, it raises literally a billion questions, and as we all know, questions are pointless. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Camera One said:

Can you imagine being a peasant, and your farmland got compressed, or relocated to Oz?  Seriously, Season 8 writes itself.  Good Queen Regina, My Aunt Fanny.

Wasn't the last thing she said in Leaving Storybrooke something like 'I can't wait to see what happens next,'-I imagine them going straight from that to some kind of government meeting with all the kings and queens and whathaveyous of the realms of fiction sitting in their new council chamber shouting incoherebtly at each other because no one knows where the borders are and the clashing weather systems are causing spontaneous hurricanes every couple of days.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Speakeasy said:

Wasn't the last thing she said in Leaving Storybrooke something like 'I can't wait to see what happens next,'-I imagine them going straight from that to some kind of government meeting with all the kings and queens and whathaveyous of the realms of fiction sitting in their new council chamber shouting incoherebtly at each other because no one knows where the borders are and the clashing weather systems are causing spontaneous hurricanes every couple of days.

It is Regina, so her actual quote was, "I can't wait to see what's in store for me next".

And then hastily added "Well, for everyone".

I love your idea for the next scene!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I know that she said she brought all the realms into it, but...my mind just cant comprehend how that could even possibly work logistically or ethically) and not literally all fiction ever

Henry said there was a German Snow White and a French Snow White, etc.  So there could potentially be a Council of 100 Snow Whites.  I wonder how the other 99 Evil Queens felt about Regina becoming the Queen of Everything.  I suppose most of them actually did get pushed off a cliff or executed.

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Camera One said:

Henry said there was a German Snow White and a French Snow White, etc.  So there could potentially be a Council of 100 Snow Whites.  I wonder how the other 99 Evil Queens felt about Regina becoming the Queen of Everything.  I suppose most of them actually did get pushed off a cliff or executed.

Why did we never see a lineup of Snow Whites or Evil Queens? Captain Hooks? Rumplestiltskins working together to take over the multiverse? The writers didn't take advantage of their own stupid concept. I think it would've been funny to see all that chaos. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

7 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Why did we never see a lineup of Snow Whites or Evil Queens? Captain Hooks? Rumplestiltskins working together to take over the multiverse? The writers didn't take advantage of their own stupid concept. I think it would've been funny to see all that chaos. 

It was a big waste, and it really just seemed to be a rationalisation to go back to the better known fairy tales for their new cast. A lineup of the Snow Whites of All Worlds could have been amazing because there are so many ways you can twist the story around.

Stylistically there wasn't even much difference between the enchanted and disenchanted forests except the budget was clearly lower and there was a swamp in the Disenchanted Forest. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Speakeasy said:

It was a big waste, and it really just seemed to be a rationalisation to go back to the better known fairy tales for their new cast. A lineup of the Snow Whites of All Worlds could have been amazing because there are so many ways you can twist the story around.

With the exception of the Wish Realm people (which don't really count in the same way), none of the characters ever met the alternate versions of themselves. Jacinda never met Ashley, Clorinda never met Ivy, Rapunzel never met Victoria, etc. For most of the characters, there wasn't much of a point in repeating the same fairy tale. They had so little to do with their respective stories that they could be original characters. 

Quote

there was a swamp in the Disenchanted Forest. 

Who could forget Fictional Medieval Louisiana?

Quote

Stylistically there wasn't even much difference between the enchanted and disenchanted forests

That's one of my gripes with this show and OUATIW in some parts. Clearly, they had a limited budget and went for the same wooded settings almost every time, even when it was really boring or didn't make any sense. I don't always notice with other shows, but in OUAT, I'm constantly acutely aware the writers were on a budget. It made the show feel cheap and its universe very small.

"Uh... we can't get Regina's house this week! Where are Regina and Robin gonna make tacos?"

"Let's use the crypt set! We always kept that for some reason!"

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Why did we never see a lineup of Snow Whites or Evil Queens? Captain Hooks?

Our Hook (Prime or WHook) running into the Disney cartoon/Dustin Hoffman version would have been delightful.

I was going to say that our Snow running into a more Disney-like version could be fun, but it could run dangerously close to the "not like other girls" trope, where the more traditional female who doesn't have a sword and a bow and doesn't punch people in the face is considered worse and weaker than the Strong Female Character. Since the Disney version (and in the fairy tale) is pretty much a child, our Snow could have been a mentor to her.

11 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

That's one of my gripes with this show and OUATIW in some parts. Clearly, they had a limited budget and went for the same wooded settings almost every time, even when it was really boring or didn't make any sense. I don't always notice with other shows, but in OUAT, I'm constantly acutely aware the writers were on a budget.

To some extent, they're limited to the scenery that's available where they can film. Aren't most of the "forest" scenes for shows filmed in the general Vancouver area filmed in the same park? The Stargate shows went from planet to planet, and they all looked like that one same forest. I wonder if there's a permanent "medieval village" set somewhere near Vancouver, because it seems like the same village showed up a lot on the Stargate shows (when they visited a more primitive forest world), in a lot of the Fantasy Cheese Sci Fi Channel movies and in the Once Upon a Time shows. Or is there a Ren Fest with permanent structures in that area where they film in the off season?

I don't so much mind the forest setting since that fits fairy tales. It's their castles, villages, and towns that are weak. They were using CGI, and they didn't bother to build more interesting locations. The only thing like a "city" other than Agrabah and the Land of Untold Stories was that port town. The generic tavern set was overused to the point we decided it was a franchise.

I think they did better at making the forests look different on the Wonderland spinoff, though it was still jarring when they went from a CGI wacky forest setting to a real forest, but they at least stuck in some strange plants and "dressed" the forest to make it look a little different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:
 

Yeah, remember all of those classic stories set in... Fantasy Medieval Louisiana? 

Still disappointed we didn't get Fictional 1920s New Orleans. It probably would've been lame since these writers couldn't even do much with the Land of Untold Stories aka Steampunk World. But Fictional 1920s New Orleans would've been the one "realm of story" I would've enjoyed seeing.

Quote

I was going to say that our Snow running into a more Disney-like version could be fun, but it could run dangerously close to the "not like other girls" trope

It could've subverted the trope and shown that even Disney!Snow could be strong without using violence. Imagine Snow having to journey with her and she can't stand her because she assumes she's a weaker version of herself. But then Disney!Snow uses her animal-talking skills and diplomacy to their advantage. 

I think the writers tried to do their own version of Disney!Snow through Princess Emma, but that failed miserably.

Quote

Our Hook (Prime or WHook) running into the Disney cartoon/Dustin Hoffman version would have been delightful.

This might've been what the writers were going for when they introduced Blackbeard as a stand-in for Disney!Hook.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I think the writers tried to do their own version of Disney!Snow through Princess Emma, but that failed miserably.

I suspect that's what they truly think about the "traditional" Disney princesses compared their strong kickass female protagonists.  So in essence, they never would have seriously considered what a thoroughly "good" princess might be like (by their definition, they're weak, boring and a total joke).  Your idea with her using diplomacy and animal-talking skills is great, since they failed to do that with Snow, uh I mean Mary Margaret.  

17 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

To some extent, they're limited to the scenery that's available where they can film. Aren't most of the "forest" scenes for shows filmed in the general Vancouver area filmed in the same park?

There are several parks (which are actually forests) within the city, but the entire city is surrounded by wilderness, and a lot of filming happens on the mountain trails that are quite close by.  Of course, they all look the same because it's the same temperate rainforest with mostly conifers.

Quote

The Stargate shows went from planet to planet, and they all looked like that one same forest. I wonder if there's a permanent "medieval village" set somewhere near Vancouver, because it seems like the same village showed up a lot on the Stargate shows (when they visited a more primitive forest world), in a lot of the Fantasy Cheese Sci Fi Channel movies and in the Once Upon a Time shows. Or is there a Ren Fest with permanent structures in that area where they film in the off season?

Maybe it's on a set that's used by multiple productions.  There isn't really such a place in public.

Quote

I think they did better at making the forests look different on the Wonderland spinoff, though it was still jarring when they went from a CGI wacky forest setting to a real forest, but they at least stuck in some strange plants and "dressed" the forest to make it look a little different.

They did do a better job with Wonderland, than the Oz forest or the Neverland forest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, Camera One said:

than the Oz forest

I don't know why, but up until the flashback in "Sisters", all outdoor Oz scenes were at night time. It wasn't really spooky like the woods in the MGM film, but it was oddly moody where it didn't need to be. Was it just better lighting for Zelena's green makeup? There were Robin/Will flashbacks at night too. 

Emerald City itself was fine to me, but everything else was Enchanted Forest Lite.

Quote

or the Neverland forest.

Neverland was weird. Sometimes it was a tropical jungle, and occasionally (like in the Malcolm/Rumple flashback) it was your standard Vancouver forest. Then in S6, it looked absolutely awful. I actually didn't mind the potted plant sets in 3A because it was so different in style from all the other forests we'd seen.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Our Hook (Prime or WHook) running into the Disney cartoon/Dustin Hoffman version would have been delightful.

That could have been a lot of fun but I think it would run the risk of looking gloating-look how much better/smarter/more interesting our version of this character is than this old fashioned loser. The same could easily happen if you had any of the characters run into their Disney counterparts. 

I get the impression this would happen because that was the impression I was left with from the Camelot arc. Their take on King Arthur was interesting and he was actually a nuanced villain with an interesting backstory that dealt with the themes of the series from a worthy and different angle: here is how the idea of a hero can ruin a good person. But the story constantly veered about in ways that seemed to say 'hey, look what a bunch of useless losers the Camelot characters are next to our guys'

18 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

To some extent, they're limited to the scenery that's available where they can film. Aren't most of the "forest" scenes for shows filmed in the general Vancouver area filmed in the same park? The Stargate shows went from planet to planet, and they all looked like that one same forest. I wonder if there's a permanent "medieval village" set somewhere near Vancouver, because it seems like the same village showed up a lot on the Stargate shows (when they visited a more primitive forest world), in a lot of the Fantasy Cheese Sci Fi Channel movies and in the Once Upon a Time shows. Or is there a Ren Fest with permanent structures in that area where they film in the off season?

I've been to Vancouver twice in my life and remember the landscape around the city being absolutely breathtaking. How is it that it ends up looking so generic on all these shows where it's used as a shooting location? Am I just not appreciating it or is there something about the way it's shot?

18 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I don't so much mind the forest setting since that fits fairy tales. It's their castles, villages, and towns that are weak. They were using CGI, and they didn't bother to build more interesting locations. The only thing like a "city" other than Agrabah and the Land of Untold Stories was that port town. The generic tavern set was overused to the point we decided it was a franchise.

How much do you think that could have been improved within their budget? The fact they did Agrabah and the LoUS shows it was at least possible, but I'm not sure how often they could have showcased something different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Still disappointed we didn't get Fictional 1920s New Orleans.

Fictional 1920s New Orleans would have been a ton of fun, sad that we missed out on it. Medieval kingdom Louisiana was a real indicator of the laziness of the writers, especially by that point. It was like all they could even comprehend writing was a vague medieval fantasy world, despite it making no sense for this world, these characters, or this story. It wasn't even a budget issue I dont think (it cant be THAT hard make a 1920s world, they already did it once!)  it was just that the writers had long since given up on doing anything creative, even if it was basically all gift wrapped for them in the movie it was based on. 

19 hours ago, Speakeasy said:

A lineup of the Snow Whites of All Worlds could have been amazing because there are so many ways you can twist the story around.

Well, A&E hadn't seen Rick and Morty or The Flash yet, so they didn't know that ripping off the Council or Ricks/Wells was an option yet!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I think the writers tried to do their own version of Disney!Snow through Princess Emma, but that failed miserably.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I feared they'd turn it into a "not like other girls" thing.

3 hours ago, Camera One said:

Maybe it's on a set that's used by multiple productions.  There isn't really such a place in public.

Or maybe they have a pile of pre-fab set pieces in a warehouse and just reassemble them in the woods when needed.

2 hours ago, Speakeasy said:

Their take on King Arthur was interesting and he was actually a nuanced villain with an interesting backstory that dealt with the themes of the series from a worthy and different angle: here is how the idea of a hero can ruin a good person.

Funny how they did that story, but then Henry being in "I want to be a hero!" mode in season 7 was totally okay and not something to be alarmed by. Zero self-awareness of what they're writing.

2 hours ago, Speakeasy said:

How much do you think that could have been improved within their budget? The fact they did Agrabah and the LoUS shows it was at least possible, but I'm not sure how often they could have showcased something different.

I'm surprised at the effort that must have gone into the LoUS background for them to never use it again. That made for an interesting city set. With Ye Olde Tavern, they could have at least rearranged the furniture or put up some different wall hangings, or something, so it didn't look like the storybook equivalent of a McDonald's.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

(it cant be THAT hard make a 1920s world, they already did it once!)

Fictional 1920s New Orleans could've had a reference to Fictional 1920s London, like the Cruella DeVil song playing on the radio or something. The writers could've found a clever way to imply they were both the same world.

I'm so glad the writers stopped mentioning the "trapped in time" thing for the realms of story in the scripts. That was the dumbest part of the concept. I'm not sure how you would explain how the fictional stories occurred in the real world without anyone noticing except the authors, any explanation would've been better than the vague "realms of stories".

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size