Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Agree that TLC has really outdone themselves and the crazy meter is pegged. At first, I felt sorry for Paul. Until the hair thing. Then, reading here about his criminal record, holy crap! Sounds like he doesn't handle breakups well, no? Violating a restraining order and arson sound like he's a 'if I can't have you,  no one can' kind of guy. Hope he doesn't torch the village in the amazon if she doesn't want to marry him.

Darcy is one of those women that just piss me off. You have two daughters. Instead of having a ton of expensive, bad plastic surgery, accept that you're getting older and set a good example for your daughters. You're showing them that aging is bad and chasing some random guy is what you need to be happy. I hope Jesse is really some overweight, 40 something guy with several exes and a ton of child support payments. During all of her talking heads, I was fixated on the unglued corner of one of her false eyelashes. I noticed it was unglued when she was heading to the airport, too. She should have sprung for eyelash extensions.

Underwear man is just desperate. It oozes out of him.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Yes that's where she drove them; 2hr drive. Her comment was she was driving them there because their father was going to 'watch the girls for me' while she was away. The 'watch' sounded babysitter-ish to me, but so many moms have that issue with fathers being less fathers to the children than sitters unfortunately.

The girls seemed so sad it made me very sad for them.

But do they not go to school? Darcy is going to be gone for 6 weeks!  If they're 2 hours away from "home" how will they continue to attend school?  You would think that the twin sister who lives with them would take care of them while Darcy is gone. 

• Love 11

Yes Keener, thank you for typing those exact words.    Makes no sense.

And also Yess to the people above who mentioned Karina of the Amazon dancing away in front of a large TV when her house, allegedly, has no power and no appliances -   I haven't checked; has the Amazon Street View car been ferried up to her home town yet?    This narrative isn't holding together so far.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Keener said:

But do they not go to school? Darcy is going to be gone for 6 weeks!  If they're 2 hours away from "home" how will they continue to attend school?  You would think that the twin sister who lives with them would take care of them while Darcy is gone. 

I can't imagine being away from the primary school for that long. Even if you're attending a different school, it's difficult catching up when you return.

32 minutes ago, Keener said:

Yeah I wondered that myself given it was obviously winter, & even winter break isn't that long. Maybe they can do virtual school or something for a while? Doubting they're homeschooled due to her working FT. I originally thought the sister would care for them as well.

I wonder what the ex thinks of this guy possibly coming to live with his daughters. If it were me I'd be concerned.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Yeah I wondered that myself given it was obviously winter, & even winter break isn't that long. Maybe they can do virtual school or something for a while? Doubting they're homeschooled due to her working FT. I originally thought the sister would care for them as well.

I wonder what the ex thinks of this guy possibly coming to live with his daughters. If it were me I'd be concerned objecting.

This would be me. I'd have her ass back in court so fast she'd wonder what hit her.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, SoshulMeedya said:

????

And regarding Corina, yes I am REALLY confused how someone who lives hours from civilization with no electricity somehow has a smartphone and Internet service, and knows how to use a dating app. And where, indeed, was that flat screen TV and nicer home? It makes me wonder if she's a victim of human trafficking. Something doesn't add up.

Actually at this time people around the world even if they live in really bad conditions and are really poor have internet access with their cellphones. It's amazing. They might not have drinking water and electricity but they have smartphones. They might charge them at some local place that have generator or is hooked to power supply. Having smartphone is preferable to anything else as it connects them to friends, relatives and information. Look at India for example. So I wasn't surprised by that. Can't explain the flat screen tv though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

So many things that made me go "hmmmmm."  Although Darcy said that she shared custody with her ex-husband, perhaps he has primary custody and the girls actually attend school near to his home.  After all, it looked like a smaller condo that Darcy and her sister share, and Darcy really is acting like the absence from her daughters does not concern her.  Yes, she said all of the 'right' words about missing them, but it seemed only an after thought as her primary concern was getting to Amsterdam and receiving a proposal.  Six weeks is a long time to be away from children and a job, so it just makes me wonder.  Also, the love of her life is the only person from whom we did not see a video or anything.  Yep, catfishing.

As for the guy from Ohio... He said that his first marriage did not work because they were "too young" and yet he wants to marry a 20-year old.  No, she's not "too young" at all.  And, his hope that her ex-boyfriend, who is in tons of photos with her, is only a friend and no longer intimate with her indicates that he may have a problem with what we call 'reality.'

Paul just seems so off.  An earlier poster mentioned that Paul has a criminal record-I haven't seen it but will look after posting this.  However, prior to reading that comment I felt that there really was something amiss with Paul.  *Have now read his arrest/criminal record, and yes, there is definitely something amiss.  Arson is a crime of destruction, violating a restraining order could evidence some anger issues or stalking tendencies.  Although I feel like the Brazilian woman was probably trying to find someone to send her money or for her to hustle, I sincerely hope that if she agrees to marry Paul that she, or someone else, investigates him a bit.  It also makes me wonder why his mother found it so incredulous that he could not find someone in the U.S.  It is also interesting that he seems to continue to have a job that pays fairly well.*  His over preparation just seems to indicate something.  He did provide the humor though when he spoke about people from Latin America having strong family values while the producers showed us all of her bikini and 'dancing' photos and videos.  Yep, looks like very strong conservative values to me, only not so much.

All three of these people are in for a world of hurt I think.  Like others, I thought Mary (Paul's mother) was a voice of reason until the giving of her hair.  She may still be the voice of reason for the show.  Do people really not have others in their lives who just tell them 'no-it's a bad idea'?  Instead it seems like 'well, if you think you love her/him, I support you.'  Support is good, but so is sound advice.

Edited by seacliffsal
found the links to Paul's criminal record
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

he may have a problem with what we call 'reality.'

I must steal this line and use it on another forum.

5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Although Darcy said that she shared custody with her ex-husband, perhaps he has primary custody and the girls actually attend school near to his home.  After all, it looked like a smaller condo that Darcy and her sister share, and Darcy really is acting like the absence from her daughters does not concern her.  Yes, she said all of the 'right' words about missing them, but it seemed only an after thought as her primary concern was getting to Amsterdam and receiving a proposal.  Six weeks is a long time to be away from children and a job, so it just makes me wonder.

Darcy also said something about having to get used to the stove when she was making breakfast so maybe she moved in with her sister because she gave up/sublet her plave because she was going to be gone for so long. One of the girls also said that it was time for them to go back to the or country life. There is definitely something about the situation that doesn't add up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Drogo said:

Well damn, that's a lot of mosquito netting. 

I believe that all of that stuff was done for laughs. I just listened to a podcast where a guy said that he was being filmed for a reality show, and they wanted him to roll in a bed of candy (he wrote a book about candy), and to do weird stuff like that, and he said no. They then decided not to feature him on the show.

Edited by Deni
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SoshulMeedya said:

Boo. The only thing that makes this show delicious to watch is thinking it's all real. If it's scripted, that's kind of a buzzkill. Still good tv, but less impactful.

If someone keeps posting over and over that it's all made up, to the point of buzzkill, you can hide their posts. I did it in another forum where someone kept quoting my posts and saying that she was a friend of a friend,  and she knew that that wasn't what really happened.  So I hid her posts and went back to enjoying the forum.

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Darcy also said something about having to get used to the stove when she was making breakfast so maybe she moved in with her sister because she gave up/sublet her plave because she was going to be gone for so long. One of the girls also said that it was time for them to go back to the or country life. There is definitely something about the situation that doesn't add up.

Hmmm... I can't recall if she said how long ago they were divorced.  It seemed like she had been living with her sister for a while & had the kids with her, but maybe that's not the case.  I had missed the daughter's comment, so maybe they had been living closer to the dad & only recently moved for some reason (or she was recently divorced & moved). I wonder what's up with the girls' school situation though.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Chippings said:

Yes Keener, thank you for typing those exact words.    Makes no sense.

And also Yess to the people above who mentioned Karina of the Amazon dancing away in front of a large TV when her house, allegedly, has no power and no appliances -   I haven't checked; has the Amazon Street View car been ferried up to her home town yet?    This narrative isn't holding together so far.

EXACTLY with the TV and an electronics in the background of her dancing video! My heart just breaks for these young women who live in places where their best option is to mail order themselves to some asshat in the states.

Best moment on this show and perhaps the entire 90 day rodeo was the narrator asking Darcy what photo she used on her profile. I was like BURN! She looks significantly older than her photo. I have a friend from HS who pulls that crap on dating sites and FB. One of her dates just threw down this napkin and said "THIS is false advertising!" and stormed out of their date. Hopefully Darcy has some $$$ to get herself a hotel room somewhere if things go South. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Swim mom said:

Do you remember if it was over Christmas break? Did they have heavy coats? Any chance it was summer break.

I recall snow on the ground.  Summer break would make sense since it's longer. But how long is winter break, like 2 weeks tops?  She's gone for 6...

10 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

This was one of the most astonishing hours of television I've ever seen.

If you're new to this show, you are going to love it! 

14 hours ago, SoshulMeedya said:

I rewatched it today, she said she's been divorced for 6 years, and she shares custody of the girls.

The key, for me at least, is who is considered the residential parent.  I wonder if dad is the residential parent for school purposes.  It just seems very odd that dad lives 2 hours away and you are going to be gone for 6 weeks and the girls still have to go to school.  That leads me to believe that dad may be the residential parent and she has custody of the girls on weekends and some evenings.  Then again, who knows, maybe dad is really understanding and accommodating. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Darcey is full of shit. "My girls are my world!" she gushes, tearfully. No. If they were your world you would not be hanging out on international dating sites trying to hook a hottie. Thirstily chasing off to Amsterdam after a blond, built fuckboy is not responsible parenting.

• Love 16

I think about that too, SoshulMeedya!  I suppose one reason is that some men want a HOT YOUNG submissive non-feminist wife that will wear skimpy clothes, which kinda counts out the Duggers and other fundies.  I think a lot of the men on these shows get off on having a woman totally dependent on them -- she doesn't speak the language well (or at all), can't drive, can't work, has no family or friends nearby.  It's a control thing.  The might feel like women already in the states will be too independent. 

I wonder if people on these international dating sites know how hard and expensive it will be to bring a fiance to the states?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, SoshulMeedya said:

Ah yes, the control thing! Definitely for the guys. But what about the women like Danielle and Darcy? 

I have trouble putting Danielle and Darcy in the same category.  For Danielle (and also the blonde last year, who's name escapes me -- the one who went to Morocco), I think its desperation --they feel they are not considered a "catch" in the US, and don't want to be alone, so they figure maybe they'll be more attractive to a foreigner.  What they don't realize is that if someone is looking for a way to come to the US (ahem, Mohammed) they'll say and do anything they can to hook a desperate American lady.  Then reality sets in. 

I'm a little hazy on Darcy's motivation.  While I realize she's older, she's still attractive (cosmetically-enhanced, obviously) and appears to make a good living.  But dating at that age is tough because a lot of men just want someone younger than she is.  I can't tell if she truly misrepresented herself to the Dutch guy (i.e., lied about her age and looks) for some amount of time or not.  I guess it could be desperation for her as well, if she really desires to be in a relationship and feels like she's at a disadvantage here? 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SoshulMeedya said:

Ah yes, the control thing! Definitely for the guys. But what about the women like Danielle and Darcy? 

They want young hunk eye candy so that they feel better about themselves.

Did anyone notice how Paul's urethra fish condoms were each individually packed in brown paper bags?

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I think about that too, SoshulMeedya!  I suppose one reason is that some men want a HOT YOUNG submissive non-feminist wife that will wear skimpy clothes, which kinda counts out the Duggers and other fundies.  I think a lot of the men on these shows get off on having a woman totally dependent on them -- she doesn't speak the language well (or at all), can't drive, can't work, has no family or friends nearby.  It's a control thing.  The might feel like women already in the states will be too independent. 

Plus they are more subservient 

The Sean/Abby age difference of 47 vs. 20 is not that crazy as far as these older American guy with young third world bride relationships go. He’s looks to be an attractive, well groomed 47 year old. She could be sincere EXCEPT that the fact that her last boyfriend was a 64 year old American is a major red flag. That reeks of a woman who just wants to GTFO of Haiti, and who can blame her.

Also, the 64 year old dude who spends six months of the year in the Dominican Republic is likely dodgy. There’s basically nothing in the Dominican Republic for a 64 year old white American guy except desperate young women and prostitutes. If Abby met that guy not online, but in the DR or Haiti, at a sleazy bar frequented by old white guys and hot young local chicks, then Abby may have been involved in the prostitution scene.

Paul packs like Tom Hanks in Joe vs. The Volcano. For those asking why Paul sent her money for internet or how she met him online before he bought her internet, she was probably using a poor phone connection or internet cafe somewhere and he got her a wifi connection. Or he’s just paying for her prepaid cell phone data, because previously her data may have been quite limited because it costs money.

I don’t know what the Dutch guy’s angle is, unless he wants a modeling career in the USA. Most Dutch people have no need or desire to move to the USA and wouldn’t marry a much older and less attractive American for the green card.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Did anyone notice how Paul's urethra fish condoms were each individually packed in brown paper bags?

No, but I did notice that he got a very strange look on his face after he hugged his mom on the porch. He sat back down on the bench and then he got this mean snarl on his face as his body clenched up.  He did it twice really fast before it cut to the next scene. Something is definitely off with this one...

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, kittle1974 said:
On 8/10/2017 at 7:04 PM, CofCinci said:

No, but I did notice that he got a very strange look on his face after he hugged his mom on the porch. He sat back down on the bench and then he got this mean snarl on his face as his body clenched up.  He did it twice really fast before it cut to the next scene. Something is definitely off with this one...

I think something is off with him also. Did anyone else notice how he had what looked to be a little tackle box that was neatly packed with prescription bottles?  And all those trunks filled with  gear or whatever else he thought he needed? OCD much?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Bringing $2500 in ladies clothes to Haiti for your girlfriend to sell is odd because clothes are dirt cheap in third world countries.  Haitians will buy panties there for a dollar. He should jus give her the $2500 if he wants to help her.

For those of you inquiring about the psyche of American men who date younger foreign women, I encourage you to Google my own personal musings "7 Reasons Why I Should Probably Marry a Cambodian Woman" and "7 Reasons Why I Probably Shouldn't Marry a Cambodian Woman" 

• Love 3

I used to work with this guy from Angola, who spent a good bit of his lunch hour and after hours buying things online.  He said he could easily sell them there for 5 to 10 times what he paid for them here.  When I asked him why not just sell for double the price rather than gouge people like that, he told me that people there paid those inflated prices without even batting an eye because this is really the only way people can get stuff.

in Haiti, it's probably much the same, but without the oil industry Angola has. No industry; everything has to be brought in from somewhere else; unemployment is rampant; and there's little in the way of things to buy, no matter how much money some people have.  Sean brought the panties so she could sell them and get some extra money.  

I, too, am looking forward to this shit show. It truly is a guilty pleasure.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2