Type keyword(s) to search

The Gem: General Discussion Welcome Here!

Wilowy

My respect for his talent outweighs my anger towards his abandonment of the greatest show ever televised, though I get what you mean. I always just tell myself without David Milch, we would never have had ANY Deadwood. 

• Love 1

On the Season 3 DVD, in the Complete Series set (only), there's a poignant video of Milch's stalking the abandoned set, speaking a bit about his plans for the saga.  But not only there! -- advances, none miraculous, still include YouTube

Tell your cats to ready for sobs.

ETA: Because when paraphrasing Al, 's best done right. 

Edited by Pallas
  • Love 1

I do believe the key decision was HBO's, that Milch wanted to continue telling the story and also, continue employing the many hundreds of people who made up the production. He gave many fucks about both.  He lost.

Did he weigh and re-weigh his options, obsess about plans that went nowhere, like Al trying to outflank Hearst?  I think, yes.  Then when stood down, did he call out HBO on this -- seize the network by the ear -- when he still had a production deal with them?  This we know: that's a 'nope.'  And did holding his fire then, permit him the option of censuring the network later?  I think, no.  It wasn't pretty.

Kim Dickens (in a long brown ponytail and no top hat) plays the detective in charge of the case in "Gone Girl." And in another (intentional? unintentional?) "Deadwood" reference, Ben Affleck's sister tells him he looks like "hammered shit." (But no flatter.)

• Love 2

Welp, I'm about a fucking decade late for the Deadwood party, but OMFG....I am appexed (TM/RIP Mikey) that this was canceled.  WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK WERE THEY THINKING???  I never thought I would find someone that was as much of an F bomb abuser as myself, but couple that with his general aptitude for wordiness of the non cussing sort, I fucking LOVE Al.  Jesus, he's awesome.  I would  have given anything for a few more scenes between Trixie and Jane.  I could have done without Alma altogether, or at least have her played by a different actress.  I will be eternally sad that this show was never allowed to live a natural life.  It is a treasure.

• Love 2

If you're not on Twitter and haven't heard, Garrett Dillahunt (Jack McCall/Francis Wolcott) tweeted that he heard rumors of serious talks of a Deadwood movie--finally.
  HBO said the talks are preliminary.

Here's a story on the tweet and the HBO spokesperson update. Reboots are the rage these days. I'd have to finally get around to watching Season 3.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, TheWhiskeyKeeper said:

Hi, I'm new here, not sure how to do this yet! So excited for this movie!

Welcome, @TheWhiskeyKeeper!

People around these parts are unfailingly friendly and helpful, so if you have any questions, just ask.   You can find PTV forum FAQ and Guides here:  http://forums.previously.tv/forum/2499-faq-guides/

I was skeptical that this movie would ever get made, so I am really looking forward to it as well.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

Y

23 minutes ago, TheWhiskeyKeeper said:

Thank you! On a whim I started a fan page on Twitter. If anyone doesn't know W. Earl is over there and was talking quite a lot about the movie till that got squashed by HBO. It's a tight set, no leaks...

We did get a few hints before they got squashed. W. Earl Brown will be sporting a Bowler hat instead of a cowboy top in the movie. Sounds like he moved up in the world. We still have most of the characters remaining (thank you for returning). E B Farnum didn’t have too much to film but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s killed off. They might have just of lightened his characters scenes. We can speculate all we want but the set is very tight lipped and evidently HBO has threatened those who give spoilers (although we just want tidbits to keep the rest of the fandom interested). This movie can’t come fast enough IMHO. 

Twitter does have more info and chat than anywhere else that I know of. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TheWhiskeyKeeper said:

On a whim I started a fan page on Twitter.

Is it @DeaddwoodRturns? If so, thanks! I followed you as soon as I saw your account the day the movie was announced (and you followed me back @katiemelb).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TheWhiskeyKeeper said:

Yes, that's me! I'm just learning how to navigate over here, don't want to step on any toes by posting my links.

Nope. Post away. The mods are fair here, don’t try to censure much and as long as we don’t attack each other, are pretty good about letting conversations fly. 

• Love 3

I’ve been doing a rewatch of the series in prep of the new movie coming out. A few things have struck me. Especially in season 3 how caring Joanie was to Calamity Jane. She gave her a place to stay and never made her feel badly when she was found in a puddle of her own pee or drunk screaming obscenities at the wind. She’d try to lift her up and never humiliate her. I hope IRL Calamity Jane had one true friend like that. 

How loyal was to Al. He fought (to the death) with Hursts Capt. Even though Al was encouraged to go see Dan who was having a rough time of it afterwards, he wouldn’t and waited until Dan made it up the stairs. Now I think Al had some heart but to show it would make it look like he was soft. In his business soft was as good as done for or dead. 

So many people kept no allegiances. Leon would do as he was told for some dope or under threat. EB was shifty and quite the gossip. Ah so much more...

I can’t wait to see what happens in ten years time (allegedly when the movie takes place). There are things I’d like to see and some I’d rather not. 

• Love 2