Type keyword(s) to search

Australian Survivor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Right after the reward challenge, Brian said he would give the car he just won to Monica, IF he made the final 2. Ummmm, isn't bribing another player like that a no-no? PS. Brian, I am pretty sure she can afford her own car.  

Yes I thought this too.  Also at jury villa they are all ringing their families and telling them they got voted out, thought this was against the rules too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nozycat said:

Yes I thought this too.  Also at jury villa they are all ringing their families and telling them they got voted out, thought this was against the rules too.

Isn't winning a car usually the Kiss of Death?  Or is the Car Curse not a thing on the Australian version?

• Love 1

I will echo everyone else, I want to see Sharn win but I would be cool with a Shane win as well.  Honestly even though he is a scrub a Brian win would not be bad either because he has done the work to get to the end.  I just think that the jury is going to be so anti-Brian that he will not beat anyone left in the game.

@WearyTraveler:  I noticed all the scrubs things he did in the last episode.  The nose wipe thing really grossed me out.  I mean what the hell was that all about?  I could see if he was done eating but the whole damn leaf still had, at the very least, half the rice left.

I have been/still am an anyone but Shonee for the win.  If they are trying to frame her potential win as something great...well that is just a messed up narrative.  Mainly because while yes she's been an underdog, she is not really a likable underdog.  She seems very vapid to me, though I will say she has pulled out some strategic thoughts that I did not think she was capable of. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Isn't winning a car usually the Kiss of Death?  Or is the Car Curse not a thing on the Australian version?

This is the first time it's been offered on the Aussie version. (Well, technically it's the second, but the very first season back in 2002 is basically non-canon.)

I also let out a huge cheer when I saw the fire seesaws appear. This season's challenges have been super super repetitive, and to see them not only change it up so significantly but to do so with one of the absolute best challenges in Survivor history was DELIGHTFUL.

• Love 3

The challenge with all six of them hanging upside down was like Survivor Human Centipede.

I was totally confused about Brian's plan, until he said he wanted Fenella gone so his final 3 could be him, Monica, and Shane... which, OK, if that's his plan, but, has he ever told Shane that? Because they were still doing the 3 vs 2 thing. Up until Sharn won immunity and Brian "had" to vote against Shane, it didn't make any sense to me why he hadn't brought her in to his own plan. He's so confusing.

Fun tribal, though, and glad Shonee got her revenge on him. 

Edited by Charlesman
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, TallulahBelle said:

I am perplexed as to WHO the show is referring to when they said we'd see the BEST END GAME EVER. 

The one thing that would truly surprise me is if one of the people in the judging panel turned out to be the winner.  That has never been done before! 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Charlesman said:

I was totally confused about Brian's plan, until he said he wanted Fenella gone so his final 3 could be him, Monica, and Shane... 

Which is so stupid... Why would he want to go up against Shane?! Shane would get more votes than Shonee. Shane has been solid around camp, true to her alliance, and made moves, including getting Lydia out.

I do wonder if the Powers That Be are helping Sharn out. I mean, she was dead survivor walking until she happened upon that idol hidden in plain sight in a tree right next to the water well. I have to think that would have been spotted by someone else if not planted at just the right time.

I've watched Monica's Jury Villa episode. Bless her heart, she "really impressed" herself by finding the courage to go without a shower and brushing her teeth. They were talking about who Brian should take to the end, and Monica also thought Shane. Why does everyone think Shane is the goat and not Shonee?!   

• Love 3

Maybe Brian wanted Shane and Monica as his final three as he's expecting that stand on a wave swept cliff endurance challenge that's been in the previous two seasons? That way he stood a good chance of another challenge win and he'd get his choice of who to take to Final Tribal? [I think he'd lose to either player, but less emphatically against Monica]

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jsm1125 said:

Have we ever seen a 2-1-1 split in the American version of Survivor before?

Not that I can recall.  I'm still waiting to see what happens if there's ever a 3-3-3 split.  Jeff has said that there's a procedure in place for that, but what it is has never been revealed.

That was an exciting episode! Shonee was the least worthy, so I'm glad she's gone. On the other hand, Sharn and Shane are both a bit nuts to want to take each other to the end. They each lost their best opportunity to get rid of their biggest competitor on this vote. But since they both talked the talk about loyalty, it might be best now if Brian wins the final immunity and has to choose one of them to win. I can't see Grubby pulling off a win unless the contenders decide to vote for him. 

• Love 3

Now that Shonee is gone I am good with any of the three winning.  I do think that it is Sharn's game to lose but I honestly believe that all three have played a good enough game to win.  

I said it before but I do love the fact that Shane ran parts of the game and her plans were the plans that were implemented.  You never get to see that on the American version or at least not recently (in the earlier American seasons there were older women who did very well, but none were in their 60's that I recall), this is mainly because the older players (especially the older women) are among the first to go.

I really do not consider Brian to be a villain.  Is he a scrub?  Of course I mean the guy is called King Grub due to his personal hygiene or lack there of.  But he does not matchup well with villains from the American show.  I think Benji and Zach (k?) were more in the vain of the villains you would see on the American version.  Brian is just a guy that is a little sneaky and has poor hygiene.  I was happy when he won F4 Immunity, mainly because I was interested in seeing how the women would vote.

• Love 2

Who titled this thread? Because that's some eerily prescient work. Well done.

Things I liked: the family visit being rushed through, Shane's sixty-one year old horniness for her man, the final two, the winner [although I would've been fine if it'd gone the other way]

Things I didn't like: the final Immunity Challenge being almost a repeat of a challenge earlier in the season [which Sharn also won], the repetition of "why should we vote for you" questions during Tribal, Jonathan's Probstian Reunion hosting method of skipping several Survivors, Mat's ego, Benji's accent and - worst of all - giving that pig Zach his own segment.

Glad to see the casting notice during the show for next season. See you all here then!

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Love 4

Really enjoyed these final episodes.  I thought Sharn lost the game when she didn't know how to respond to the Matt issue (not telling him there was talk about voting him out).  The one thing I didn't like about Sharn's game is that she allied herself with the big weasel (Benji) and thanks to that he stayed way longer than he should have.

Who would have thought that the granny clumsily looking for an immunity idol in one of the earliest episodes would be the winner? 

Go Shane!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Who titled this thread? Because that's some eerily prescient work. Well done.

I did. I called it that because she's SUCH a big name in Australia (like, she was one of the last runners that carried the torch through the stadium at the Sydney Olympics) that I literally gasped when I saw her in the preseason commercials, and couldn't imagine any situation in which she was voted out first.

• Love 4

Happy for Shane, especially after it was revealed she maybe needed the money. I know that shouldn't matter, but it's a bonus. Not sure who voted for whom, maybe it is revealed in the aftershow? I do think Sharn played the best all around game, but I've always felt the game favored physical strength which isn't fair to females and older players. Shane did the most with what she had.  

OMG, Mat was even bitter at his good buddy Sharn for not telling him about whispers, what a shmuck! Get over yourself already. If it was his vote that cost her the game, that is shameful. 

As with every country, I always find everyone to be better looking before they get re-polished and painted up. 

• Love 7

Outstanding thread title work @SnideAsides !!  I'm THRILLED Shane won, mostly because she was fun to watch, enjoyed the hell out of the whole thing, was sneaky when it was needed, lied blatantly when it was required and also because it was fucking AWESOME to see two women in the final tribal (suck it Benji and Robbie, you have to vote for a woman to win) and that they were both what I think most casts would consider older women as Sharn isn't under 30.  To see the oldest woman on the show win was icing on the cake.  Like Matt, the thing I took away from this season was ; don't fuck with Shane Gould.

• Love 7

Just watched the reunion show. Wow, Mat. How damn petty. He's totally buddy buddy with Benji and Brian at the Jury Villa, but Sharn had to pay. She did not betray you that night, Mat. She was even going to play HER idol for you, until Benji freaked her out. Mat's vote was pure spite and boy did Sharn looked pissed during the reunion show. (Of course, Sharn totally should have taken Grubby to the final.) 

Meanwhile, Steve showed some character by making a point to say he had no ill will toward anybody. 

I don't think they should really let any of the champions play again. 

Um, Russell was a total non-identity this season, who didn't even show up for the reunion, yet we needed a whole segment on him? At least everyone dogged on him. He must be spitting nails somewhere. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

Really enjoyed these final episodes.  I thought Sharn lost the game when she didn't know how to respond to the Matt issue (not telling him there was talk about voting him out).  

You hit the nail on the head right there.  In the final Tribal Council that whole situation seemed to consume him and that seemed to be the only thing that he could think about.  I also felt that Sharn did not handle her reaction to that situation in the best of ways.  She seemed far too flustered when talking about it, I found that odd that a lawyer could get so shook over something like that.

I did not think Matt would be a bitter jury member.  I mean he seemed happy whenever Sharn would dodge a bullet late in the game, so I really do not get why he became so bitter.  

Not that I am complaining though because I wanted Shane to win the most out of the final three.  I just like her and have liked her for the entire season (She does remind me of my own mother so maybe that is why).  I do think Sharn played the overall better game, heck I would even say Brian played a better game as well but it was cool to see Shane pull out the win.

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Shane: Mat, Brian, Fenella, Shonee, Monica

Sharn: Robbie, Sam, Benji, Steve

Thank you for posting the vote breakdown as the site that I was watching the episodes on did not put up the Reunion Show.  I knew Shane won because I saw it on Wikipedia but I could not for the life of me find any vote breakdowns.

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Meanwhile, Steve showed some character by making a point to say he had no ill will toward anybody. 

I laughed reading this because I assume you are talking about Dead Man Walking Steve and not the Steve that was on the Contenders tribe.  If so, the reason I find it so funny is every time Brian would speak or do anything Dead Man Walking Steve would look at Brian with such disdain from the jury.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I don't think they should really let any of the champions play again. 

Um, Russell was a total non-identity this season, who didn't even show up for the reunion, yet we needed a whole segment on him? At least everyone dogged on him. He must be spitting nails somewhere. 

There's very very few people from this season I'd like to see again. Like... Shane and Moana can come back whenever they want, and I'd like to see Jackie and Jenna in a different situation, and maybe Heath and that's it? For a season that promised so much, this cast was a massive dud, and the incompetent editing where people (including the winner!) would disappear for episodes at a time made it even worse.

I also second the confusion about why we needed to waste reunion time on Russhole, especially when... if ever there was a season where spending a huge chunk of time with the early boots who bothered to turn up was a good idea, this was it. The notion that we only want to hear from people who made it close to the end just doesn't work when there's so many people and all of the boring ones made it to the jury.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Benji's accent

Yikes. Okay, then.

I loved this season, actually. I was rooting against Sharn the entire time (after about the fourth time she began whining and complaining that she was going home). That ridiculous "I took one last look down the beach and thought it would be the last time, blah blah blah" at the Benji boot soured me on her for good. Shane was in trouble just as often, yet she kept her head down and worked to get out of trouble and didn't receive massive editing pats on the back for it.

I actually thought that Shane destroyed Sharn in final tribal -- she was poised and sincere, and her arguments were terrific (coming back and owning Shonee -- who I actually liked -- about her "tell me about my life" question was a great moment), so I was shocked it was 5-4. Sharn morphed into Chrissy 2.0 -- "I won so much and me me me, and I worked so hard and I DESERVE this." And I thought she did deserve to be called to account on the Mat boot. You can't preach that loyalty was a cornerstone of your game, and then not warn your best ally about an impending #blindside. If she'd done that, Benji's mist* would've had no effect. Shane could back up what she was saying with her actions.

This was one of my favorite Survivor seasons ever, with an unlikely, very likable winner. I loved that five of six of F6 were women (eat your heart out, OG Survivor). I loved that #Shenella was the showmance of the season. I found Brian such an OTT villain (King Grub!) that he was more entertaining than truly odious like Russell. I even loved the Lord of Chaos, Benji (I know, I know), that epic blindside, the Mighty Ducks and his misting Sharn -- even though I also found Mat really likable, and an aptly named "Godfather."

David vs Goliath is good so far, but this set the standard this year, as far as I'm concerned.

* a term we use in Big Brother discussion for players who are able to get others to change their minds and act against their own best interests. First coined when discussing Dan Gheesling on BB14.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 2

Loved it when Shane gave it back to Shonee like that and actually knew the answer to her question.

And I was surprised how poorly Sharn did given her background and reputation.

Very happy with the Shane win. 

• Love 4

Brian is a way more entertaining type of villain than the Russell or even Zack variety. I wouldn't even have been too upset if he won. It was clear at Jury Villa the rest of them actually liked him. Even Steve! 

I do think the final tribal counsel was edited after the fact to let Shane's best moments shine and to show Sharn looking as flustered as possible. I was thinking while watching the Sharn/Mat moment that they were splicing together bits of Sharn being flustered, so that must mean she lost. I am still glad Shane won!

It just blows me away that Mat could not get past his ego. I mean, the hypocrisy! He stone cold voted out a devastated Lydia, who was TOTALLY loyal to him. And I believe he also had discussion about Sharn being a threat. There are always "whispers" about pretty much everyone at every vote! It's like he expected Sharn to pitch herself into the fire so she would be taken out instead of the Godfather. 

Glad we are getting another season!

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 2

I have to say even though the seasons are far to long and there are way too many people on the show, I really have enjoyed the past three seasons of Australian Survivor.  I cannot really say that about the American version, though this current season has not been that bad.  I started the second season of New Zealand Survivor and much like the first season of their show I have found the current season to be boring.  I guess the Kiwi's are just not as interesting to me as us Yanks and the Aussies.  

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:43 AM, SnideAsides said:

There has never been a 2-1-1 tie in 36 seasons of Survivor US. Australia and New Zealand both had one this year.

I doubt it will ever happen now on the American version due to the fire challenge bullcrap that they don at the final four now.  The only way it could happen is if they allow a tribe to get down to four players before the merge and I am not sure they would allow that again.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PeterPumpkin said:

24th of July cannot come soon enough

While you wait, you might want to try Survivor SA (South Africa) which is about halfway through it's new season. 

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:25 PM, PeterPumpkin said:

24th of July cannot come soon enough.  O have been binge watching the past seasons... Made me remember these idiots lol

https://www.sausageroll.com.au/entertainment/worst-castaways-to-ever-play-australian-survivor/

So it is coming back July 24th?  Cool thank you for posting that.  Being in the States I never know when it is coming back and I usually end up being a few episodes behind.  

I always thought it started in August.  I love me some Aussie Survivor, so once again thank you.

Yes, it starts this Wednesday. But they only revealed the full cast last night. Of note, despite previous Australian Survivor seventh-placer Luke being on the champions tribe, previous Amazing Race Australia runner-up Sam is a contender, as is supermodel Megan Gale's ex-professional-footballer husband.

16 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

John Dirt.

Another season of sexist editing it is, then. How is it that even in an episode that focuses on the Contenders, we still didn't get anything meaningful from most of their women?

That is strange because Aussie Survivor's editors usually do a good job fleshing out everyone.   Which amazes me because of the amount of contestants they have.  But you are right, even the woman who got voted off (sorry I only know Nova, Luke, Ross, ET, Pia, John, and Casey's names right now) did not really get much of a story about the reasons for her being voted off.

Then again I guess there is not much of a need, they thought she had the potential to be shady and that was that.

12 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Apparently Sam tried forming an alliance against her early on but the Contenders winning all the time meant they never had to go to Tribal Council.

Which would have been nice if they'd bothered to show it.

Ah thank you, that makes more sense.

• Love 1

I thought it was funny what Abbey said that Matt was a moron in the episode before the Tribal swap.  I think Matt is my least favorite person this season (I was not a fan of Nova either, she seemed like she was one of those my way or the highway type of people).  He is a poor winner and a sore loser.  Now I am not sure if that is him doing it intentionally as a "character" (he is a pro wrestler, so that would not shock me if he was trying to play the heel or bad guy in non-wrestling fans terms.) or if he is really like that.  He just comes across as an asshole to me.

I just wanted to add that Casey and Pia are my crushes for the season (Abbey is cute as well).  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

The editors couldn’t have been bothered to give Casey, Hannah or Sam a single confessional after 7 episodes? 

Sorry for the back-to-back posts but I wanted to reply to this and forgot to do so.

I agree, I had no idea who Hannah or Sam were and had forgotten they were even in the game.  Honestly I thought they were the same person because they were never on the show.  Normally I would chalk it up to the fact that they were winning so much that their tribe would not be the focus. 

However, other members of their tribe have gotten a good amount of air time as well.  The same can be said of Simon.  He has not been featured much at all either.  

• Love 1

Damn these challenges are relentless. I would still have gotten rid of Andy since he is clearly dangerous and will do anything to survive. 

Could Luke be any more personable? The guy could stab you in the heart and you'd be laughing with him as you bled out.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Yes agree with getting rid of Andy.

But I see Luke very differently, he is like fingernails down a blackboard to me and gets my hackles up every time.

Oddly enough that is how I felt about Luke during his first season.   I was so happy when they voted him out.

This time around I agree with TVbitch, he is coming across as being very personable to me.  Also, the backstory about his sons and daughters makes me have a new found respect for him.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Oddly enough that is how I felt about Luke during his first season.   I was so happy when they voted him out.

This time around I agree with TVbitch, he is coming across as being very personable to me.  Also, the backstory about his sons and daughters makes me have a new found respect for him.

See that put me off him even more that he left his newly born just diagnosed with cystic fibrosis daughter to play survivor.

Different strokes, y'all. ...Maybe we can at least all agree that David is nice to look at. 

Does anyone know what days of the week the episodes air in AU? It seems like some weeks there are more than other weeks. 

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. The first two episodes just aired on Wednesday and Thursday to make room for the last couple of episodes of Masterchef. (Why they didn't just delay the premiere four days and started on the Sunday, I have no fucking clue.)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Luke's a boring twit. The fact that he's giddy and cheeky all the time doesn't make him any less irritating and one note than, say, Special Agent (Question Mark) Phillip Sheppard.

Hey now I enjoyed Phillip, in fact he was my avatar until I changed it over to an American Big Brother joke.

4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Different strokes, y'all. ...Maybe we can at least all agree that David is nice to look at. 

Does anyone know what days of the week the episodes air in AU? It seems like some weeks there are more than other weeks. 

I live in the States and what is weird for me is the Sunday episode always shows up on Monday morning.  But the Monday and Tuesday episodes always show up on Tuesday.  I would think that the Tuesday episode would show up on Wednesday for me.  But nope, it is always there on Tuesday afternoon.  Just weird. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Happy to agree to disagree.  Heh I thought David was very attractive at first, but as his ego has grown so has he become increasingly unattractive to me.

• Love 2
On 8/7/2019 at 6:19 AM, BK1978 said:

I just wanted to add that Casey and Pia are my crushes for the season (Abbey is cute as well).  

I want to see more of Casey, I think I'd prefer her to Pia if we actually saw more of her.

On the discussion of Luke here, I always found him boring.  Look at his confessionals the previous season, he just says 'I'm the boss!' or 'I'm the king' and that's it.  David has much more to say in the confessionals and generally I feel I can support him as a decent villain.

It feels like there's more gameplayers than normal in this, with Andy, Janine and now suddenly Harry appearing.  Though it's disconcerting how Harry was invisible for many episodes and then suddenly he appeared on the scene.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 1