Type keyword(s) to search

Australian Survivor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/10/2017 at 11:45 PM, Nozycat said:

Disappointing winner for me.  I also thought Jericho shot himself in the foot with his crowing over how he conned everybody, that felt so unpleasant to me, don't understand how he got so many votes.  But then Tara admitted she only started playing the last few days.  My pick out of the final 4 would have been Michelle.

I wonder how Tara's husband feels about her crush on Lockey.

I thought the same as you.  Jericho kept repeating over and over how he played the jury and was so manipulative over them and haha they were such fools because they believed him.  I said to my husband, "he's tanking his chances of winning because he keeps rubbing it in.  Those jury members want their egos stroked a little bit, not to be called idiots."

And then Tara went and said, "I didn't start playing until we voted off Locky." and blew any chance she had.

• Love 1

In the grand tradition of Brains vs Brawn vs Beauty, White Collar vs Blue Collar vs No Collar, and Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers, I can't wait for Ten to reveal this season is actually Champions vs Contenders vs Cat Ladies.

Funny how major reality franchises in four countries (this, Survivor US, The Amazing Race Canada, and Celebrity Big Brother UK) have all decided to do What If Reality TV, But With People Who Look Deserving Of Something Other Than A Kick In The Nuts at pretty much exactly the same time. It's almost like something's happened in the last eighteen months or so that's made them think it's not a good idea to be giving reality TV trainwrecks credibility. I wonder what?

• Love 1

Saw a new preview with Jonathan and some close ups of the “Survivors”.  I noticed how Jonathan’s accent was less Aussie than before.  I actually have to look carefully at the screen to make sure it was actually him.  They showed close ups of some of the Champions and the Contenders.  The Champs all seemed to be a bit long in the tooth.  Shane Gould is over 60.  So I hope there are some younger ones in the line up and that they all have upped their fitness regimes.  Not enough info on the Contenders yet, but early days.  Masterchef still has to get rid of 7 people before the final, then Survivor can start.

I'm seeing a spoiler on another forum that suggests one of the players that hasn't been revealed yet is one of the Gladiators from that shitty Tom Williams revival of, uh, Gladiators.

He's on the Contenders tribe, which pretty much confirms that despite the theme this is basically Regular Applicants vs Celebrity Recruits.

14 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Returns 7:30 Wednesday, August 1st. Not sure how many episodes we're getting each week.

Yeah, that's the one downside to your version of Survivor. It's hard for me to keep up with the episodes here in the States because you typically have at least two or three per week!

(edited)

If Russell Hantz gets anywhere near the final, Australia is DEAD to me.  In the cast photo, you can just see the sneer of arrogance on his face.

ETA:  How (and why) is an American cast in the Australian Survivor?

Edited by AngelinaMaria
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, AngelinaMaria said:

If Russell Hantz gets anywhere near the final, Australia is DEAD to me.  In the cast photo, you can just see the sneer of arrogance on his face.

ETA:  How (and why) is an American cast in the Australian Survivor?

I'd really be surprised if Russell even made it to the merge. His reputation HAS to have preceded him, and the Australians aren't known for suffering people like him gladly!

• Love 1
(edited)

It sounds as if all of the champions were recruited (which kind of just makes the lack of diversity there even more depressing; there are three football players, two Olympic gold medallists, and two commandos in a tribe of twelve). It wouldn't surprise me if they brought him in for ratings considering the first two seasons have barely done well enough to get renewed, but even then, he's had NO publicity up until the entire cast was revealed yesterday. Something must have happened while he was on the island that made the producers want to wash their hands of him.

Edited by SnideAsides
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

It sounds as if all of the champions were recruited (which kind of just makes the lack of diversity there even more depressing; there are three football players, two Olympic gold medallists, and two commandos in a tribe of twelve). It wouldn't surprise me if they brought him in for ratings considering the first two seasons have barely done well enough to get renewed, but even then, he's had NO publicity up until the entire cast was revealed yesterday. Something must have happened while he was on the island that made the producers want to wash their hands of him.

Knowing Russell, the possibilities are endless!

• Love 1

And it's already started becoming the Russell Show.  Evidently, he's back to his old habit of "finding" idols without clues, which is one of the reasons that we in the States rapidly grew to hate him.  And apparently LaPaglia already has a Probst-sized mancrush on him.

Not really interested in anyone yet either. The superfan who lost his shit at the first tribal is gonna have a rough time watching that on TV. The Asian guy running around looking for idols by digging holes in the sand... I have to assume he was casted to be a nutball.  

Fucking Russell, I'm sure they made that "X" super easy for him to spot cuz he is their big celebrity this season and they don't want him going anywhere too soon. Ugh, American pestillence has infected Australia! 

Yeah, Russell's out!  And true to form, he insists that not playing the idol because he thought everyone was bluffing was a brilliant move because if it had worked, it would have been "the greatest move in Survivor history!"  I guess Australians who know your reputation aren't as dumb as you thought they were, are they, Russell?  And wasn't your "alliance" made up of mostly "dumb girls"?

• Love 1

So the great Russell Hantz goes home with an idol in his pocket and first in his tribe! Awesome!!!!! Same old strategy good to see they didn't waste the opportunity to take him out with the idol!

• Love 1

I may watch another episode or two to bring me down from my Masterchef addiction, but good lord. I'm a little in awe of central casting's ability to find so many people who were so sadly deluded about their capacity to deceive one another. Matt, Stevie, Russell, and that poker lady with the Rubik's cube story? LOL. The first time someone asks her a follow up question it's a long "ummmm." If you're going to make a back story you may want to be prepared to offer some details.

I had to dial down the brightness of my screen with all those bare white asses today. And the guy who referred to the one Asian contestant as "Mr. Miyagi" yesterday can eff right off.

• Love 3

The only believable thing Russell said since he hit the island was that the wife he was swearing his loyalty on was made up. Yeah, I would assume she would have to be.   

I hope some of the Beefcake Club goes early, I can't tell them apart! 

• Love 2

They did it! That was beautiful. Sorry for sending you our American trash. Someone in AusSurvivor casting thought he'd be a great addition to AusSurvivor. That person should be fired and forced to spend a long weekend alone with Russell.

• Love 3

I'm just now catching up on the first two episodes, and I want to say first of all, THANK YOU, Australia, for casting so much beautiful male eye candy, especially on the Contenders Tribe.  SO much male beauty -- is there something in the Australian water?

Second, Damien is a beast (as are all the Contender guys [except Matt -- good riddance!]).  He KILLED that very first immunity challenge.  Well done!

And third, well done for giving Russell the boot early -- he's still just as arrogant and self-deluded as ever.  I'm so glad his tribemates never bought his bullcrap for a nanosecond.

I'm in all the way this year!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Never having watched American Survivor, I only knew about Russell Hantz from watercooler gossip at work. He skeeved me out though, sorry if anyone is offended, so I'm glad he's GONE. And yes, team Moana, all the way.  I hope a couple of the people she's trusting are not going to end up stabbing her in the back.

Super sad to see Damian leave, although I do understand the reasoning behind it. But I really liked him and his spirit. He was a hindrance, unfortunately, on the physical challenges.

Here's hoping Jackie goes next or soon. Idk why I don't care for her. Also, I am an old broad and I'm usually Team Old Broad, but Shane doesn't seem to be able to do a lot either.

Really enjoying this so far.

• Love 2

Yeah, Twitter was crying ableism last night, and... like, a lot of the time the best way to avoid elimination on this show is "run on sand fast". They were right to vote Damien out. It sucks, but it's not like they were voting a deaf girl out for losing a memory challenge. It's valid in this specific instance, I think.

• Love 2

For some reason, there aren't that many girls I like on the Contenders team, but ditto for the Contender boys, also. I like Heath (the tall guy, is that his name?) and I really kind of like the female that's already gotten injured, and I'm sorry, but I can't remember her name at all. I also was beginning to warm to Steve, but yeah, if he is a sexist twat, glad he's gone. I have a feeling they all may be, though.

I prefer more of the Champions, but I don't care for Jackie at all. I also can't seem to warm to Shane, which I know I've mentioned before. No idea why on that one; I usually root HARD for the older contestants.

Getting a weird vibe from Sharn from the standpoint of wishing Moana wouldn't trust her. I have a bad feeling about that, for Moana, and it's making me anxious. Hopefully, she will prove me wrong. So far, Moana, Mat and Brian are my favorites.

The good news is: Russell is still gone. Thank gods we don't have to watch him parade around in his ugly underwear anymore. 

I was a Russell fan during his time on the American version (I might be the only one) but he was completely wrong with how he played the game.  If you have an Idol and you know people are gunning for you, you use the damn Idol.  His arrogance and ignorance (I honestly believe he thought that the Aussie players were dumber than he was) cost him the game.  He can try to spin it any way he likes it but it was a dumb move on his part.  Granted if he played the Idol it probably would have only have served as a stay in his execution and he would have been voted out the next time his tribe lost.

I am not sure why this is the case but I really do not like Lydia.  She seems to be very cocky to me.  I also found it off putting when Shonee made a "WTF" face when she had a vote cast against her.  

I am going to be completely wrong (I was last year when I picked Anneliese as the winner) but right now I am going to pick Tegan as the winner.  I just get a vibe that she is going to be a really good player.

• Love 1

I think my thing with Shane is, while she's a national treasure with all the respect that comes with that, she's spent a LOT of time in recent years complaining unbearably about the East Germans being drug cheats, and I just KNOW she'll try complaining in a similar way if she ever gets voted out.

Sam is close to being my favourite male Survivor ever though lol this show is so bad at casting men. I also seem to be enjoying Brian a LOT more than most people seem to.

Really really not liking the challenges this season. Every single one has felt underdeveloped, and I can't put my finger on why.

But I can't remember the last time Tribal Council felt that sombre. Maybe the Colleen boot in the very first US season? I really really liked it. It made Tribal Council seem foreboding and unsettling again, rather than just a campsite where the music from Bowser's Castle is playing from a boombox hidden just off screen. Wish they'd do it more often.

Fish Pie .... agreed, but I wondered if it was just me thinking this. They made the right decision sending Jenna home; I like her but she's injured and can't be of that much help. Also, she needs to get that injury resolved and start healing. If she really wants to do something for her daughter, she'll make sure she's well and healthy. Paige bought herself time until the next tribal council. I could care about her a bit if she didn't look so smug when someone besides herself gets a vote. Maybe it's the editing. Also, I'm not sure why they're all so down on Paige when I have yet to see a single thing Shonee has contributed. On Contenders side, I'm firmly Team Heath. Oh, Anita's smug, too.

Jackie seemed to be more contributory to the challenges this time; I realized I don't mind her if she just doesn't talk. Brian keeps saying he's playing a game, but I haven't seen him work to build alliances at all, so I wonder what game it is. 

Anxious for Moana, still, and now per the preview, she's not feeling well and she really does look much thinner than the others, all of a sudden. 

Mat's still one of my favorites. My problem with this thing is: a. if they have the show on five times a week and eliminate someone every night, it's only about a four week run, then? Or do the eliminations slow down when they merge the tribes? I don't even know what that means, but I heard someone mention it... and 2. I can't find very many of the girls to root for, which is unusual for me. On the Contender side, I don't mind Tegan so much, and she's scrappy. 

12 hours ago, Fish Pie said:

The contenders tribe has to be one of the least likeable in Survivor history, vile people on both sides.

Zack (Or is it Zach?) is coming across as a huge jerk.  I mean I am not one to throw the word sexist around because I think it is often thrown around when it does not warrant it.  However, I think it is safe to say that Zack is coming across as sexist.  I am not feeling Anita either, which is a shame because I always gravitate towards the older players.  As Peppermonkey said, Anita is very smug.

9 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

Fish Pie .... agreed, but I wondered if it was just me thinking this. They made the right decision sending Jenna home; I like her but she's injured and can't be of that much help. Also, she needs to get that injury resolved and start healing. If she really wants to do something for her daughter, she'll make sure she's well and healthy. Paige bought herself time until the next tribal council. I could care about her a bit if she didn't look so smug when someone besides herself gets a vote. Maybe it's the editing. Also, I'm not sure why they're all so down on Paige when I have yet to see a single thing Shonee has contributed. On Contenders side, I'm firmly Team Heath. Oh, Anita's smug, too.

Jackie seemed to be more contributory to the challenges this time; I realized I don't mind her if she just doesn't talk. Brian keeps saying he's playing a game, but I haven't seen him work to build alliances at all, so I wonder what game it is. 

Anxious for Moana, still, and now per the preview, she's not feeling well and she really does look much thinner than the others, all of a sudden. 

Mat's still one of my favorites. My problem with this thing is: a. if they have the show on five times a week and eliminate someone every night, it's only about a four week run, then? Or do the eliminations slow down when they merge the tribes? I don't even know what that means, but I heard someone mention it... and 2. I can't find very many of the girls to root for, which is unusual for me. On the Contender side, I don't mind Tegan so much, and she's scrappy. 

I agree Matt is my favorite guy right now and Tegan is my favorite woman.

As far as the elimination schedule goes, they usually do a fake tribal council where the person who is voted out ends up joining the other tribe so I fully expect that to happen again.  I really wish they would do that on the American version. 

"How old were you in that picture?"

"15 years, 9 months."

"How many world records did you have by then?"

"All of them, I think. Definitely all the freestyle ones."

"Do you still have that swimsuit?"

"No, it's in a museum."

I'm sorry, but, on a team full of some of the top competitors in their sports, that's pretty above and beyond badass. Good for her. Especially since the editors sandbagged her with the fart report early on.

Also, the picture of Mat and his kid was great. I really wasn't warm to him, but, that picture kind of made me see him differently.

• Love 3

My favourite moment of what was a fucking ridiculously overly dramatic episode, was Jackie's pic on the board of her looking lovingly at a Rubiks Cube.  I laughed very hard.  And then rolled my eyes non stop for the last 20 minutes.  I liked FIFO Jenna (ocker as balls though she may be) but that was some BIZARRE emoting they were all doing, she's not fucking dying, you idiots.

And yes, Zach is the most awful, even in a team that includes someone (Benji) who dabbed as he was going down the slide.

• Love 2

I feel like the only reason Benji isn't being edited to look like he's as bad as Zach is because he's Anneliese from last year's brother.

Jackie's pic made me laugh hysterically too. She's gone all out with the lie, which is a nice twist on the usual person lying about being a D-list celebrity who stumbles when asked basic getting-to-know-you questions about themselves.

Edited by SnideAsides
  • Love 1

Robbie, Zach, Benji :  "The girls are losing all the physical challenges".

Robbie, Zach and Benji fall in the water in less than 3 seconds.  First point for the contenders scored by a girl, second point by the only guy who has not been sexist (so far). Karma much? Zach's pissed off face is awesome. 

And the Champions rightly identified the one pick that would cause the most psychological damage to the Contenders, who then proceeded to give them even more of an advantage by sharing one of the most precious assets in the competition: information. 

Page should have lied about what she found out.  It doesn't have to be true.  She could have said that Shane was the one they wanted to vote out (confirming the tribe's own bias) and then tried to strengthen her position with one of her tribe's cliques by telling them another story (like the Contenders are divided in three groups, or whatever). 

Jackie and Shane always get stuck on those wall climbing challenges.  And Jackie was full of shit saying Moana's illness is affecting the tribe now.  She won her tug of war match up, Jackie, while you couldn't climb that wall (again!). So, bitch, please.... 

Moana must have been really sick to voluntarily want to take herself out of the game.   I hated Jackie's smile upon hearing that.  But her days are numbered (I hope),

The Contenders need to get better at playing the game or Jackie will start controlling the vote and no one wants that.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 4

Moana :(  ... one of my favourites and I won't enjoy the comp as much without her. 

Not being an Australian, while still recognizing Shane is a national treasure, I just can't get behind her, for whatever reason. But, I seriously detest Jackie. And I don't know why they felt the need to give her the Rubik's cube story instead of who/what she actually IS. So the poker playing is supposed to allegedly give her an advantage? I understand she's good at poker strategy, but she's not that good at anything physical, and just because she can win a poker game, doesn't mean she's great at interpersonal relationships or social skills at all. The couple of American poker players with whom I'm familiar, are very anti social. I hope Jackie is the next one to go, even over Shane. 

Zach is a tool. And I don't usually like to call people that, but it fits him so hard. Heath and Tegan are about the only ones I like on the Contenders side at all. I put Anita on Contenders at about the same level as Jackie on Champions. Paige will likely be the next one out, though, when they go back to council. They'll keep Zach around because he's supposed to be strong? Haven't seen that much from him to convince myself on that front, yet, but okay.

Finally, what happens with the idol Moana found, but gave to Mat to keep for her? Is it moot since she's out now or it is "his" now since she gave it to him and she's gone???

I hope she's getting well and healthy again. I'll seriously miss her. She's honest and loyal and, really, very little backstabbing from her, even against a couple of people who might have deserved it.

• Love 1

Those are some weird ass pants that Zach is wearing.  I honestly did not know they made yoga pants for men (or at least they look like yoga pants to me).

I always find it nice to see others disliking the same people I do.  I do not like Anita or Jackie and would love to see either of them go.  Jackie will probably go sooner rather than later but Anita seems to be protected and so I think she'll be around for some time.

• Love 2

Zach's playing up the villain role, surely? Even if he believed his caveman version of gender roles he surely knows blurting them out isn't going to make him any friends?

[Also, is he pinging anyone else's gaydar? The shaved chest, the manicured eyebrows, the voice? Not that I want him on my team]

Anita is very judgey for someone with the world's biggest, ugliest tramp stamp. I'm starting to get the feeling she doesn't trust Paige...

Shane should've kept her idol; it was obvious Moana was going out in a pity vote. Now if we can just get back to tribals without tears. The Aussie version is so big on the "such a good bloke/do it for [loved one]" narratives. Be more ruthless!

I'm firmly on Team Samuel.

• Love 2

Dammit, I was looking so hard but missed Jackie's photo on the photo board to see if it would match her cover story. Did she tell the story behind her photo as the others did?

Jesus God, there were more tears at tribal this week than I've seen at funerals. You will get to see your new friends in a few weeks, people! 

I like the host of Survival NZ better, this host asks questions that are too Probsty.  

Hi @PepperMonkey!

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1

TVbitch !!! So happy to see a familiar face here!

Oh my gods, I cannot stand the Contenders. I'm not even that enamoured with Heath and Tegan anymore because now they ARE coming off like they think they're king and queen of the island. Zach has GOT to be a douchebag plant. I mean, seriously, how can he even walk around town where he lives without people throwing rotten tomatoes at him at every turn?? I kind of hate that Benji's tactics worked, although, they really should, at some point, want to get the strongest ones out. I'm not sure how all of this works, but it sounds like at a certain juncture, it's more of a game of intellect than a game of strength. All the boys could go, on the Contenders side, and I'd be fine. Heath can be the last man standing because he's not shown any misogyny so far.

Jackie did well tonight and because she didn't talk much, I didn't hate her. I'm definitely Team Champions and there really aren't any of those guys that I actively abhor. Some of the quiet ones better pick up their game though, or they may find the "tribe" has decided they're not necessary. Now that Moana's gone, I'm liking Sharn a bit more... maybe the backstory today helped. I think I'm pulling for either Sharn or Mat, but I kind of like Steve (is it Steve? he never says anything) because he doesn't shoot off his mouth non-stop about stupid shite, like Zach does.

I'd hate to be whomever will go against Tegan for a shot at returning, though. She seems both physically strong and mentally strong, to me, unless the hours in solitary drive her crazy. I know they showed the clip of her crying and saying she doesn't want to be there, but I think her desire to come back and wreak havoc may be pretty hard to beat.

ETA: Lydia! I don't know why I always forget about her, but I like her quite a bit also.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1