Type keyword(s) to search

Australian Survivor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, himela said:

What you don't take into consideration is that both Chrissy and David have no idea of the game. Both came to play just to be with their loved ones. Especially Chrissy has not even watched a season of Survivor. She thinks what you are supposed to do is stay with your alliance until you are voted out and if you happen to find yourself in the final tribal council and the jury likes you enough, you may win. This is how far her strategy goes.

But one presumes David can do the simple math for his so called plan, right? He saw how the other tribe voted out his daughter, so he knows first hand there's deception and betrayal going on. His early paranoia almost took him out of the game after his daughter was voted out. So, why is he sticking with the 4? 

Chrissy not knowing the game explains her play so far, but I am not arguing she should know how to play the game. I am saying that IMO the way she has played so far doesn't make her a winner in my eyes, so I don't have a reason to root for her.

1 hour ago, jsm1125 said:

I actually think Chrissy might be in a better position than a lot of us realize. I think she has some individual relationships with people like Josh and Sam, and hasn’t been a target at all since the merge episode. Plus, I highly doubt Josh and Jordan will want to sit with Sam and Mark at final 4 (or vice versa), which could leave Chrissy in a swing position at 5.

She's in the best goat position, then. Not a winner.

Edited by WearyTraveler
Typo
34 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

Who said that only people who deserve to win actually win? Have you watched Season 1 of Australian Survivor? :P

1 hour ago, WearyTraveler said:

But one presumes David can do the simple math for his so called plan, right? He saw how the other tribe voted out his daughter, so he knows first hand there's deception and betrayal going on. His early paranoia almost took him out of the game after his daughter was voted out. So, why is he sticking with the 4? 

Chrissy not knowing the game explains her play so far, but I am not arguing she should know how to play the game. I am saying that IMO the way she has played so far doesn't make her a winner in my eyes, so I don't have a reason to root for her.

I can envision a scenario where Mark and Josh go out at 4 or 5, leaving Sam, Jordan and Chrissy in the the final 3.

If too many jurors feel burnt by Sam and/or wonder if Jordan ever had any agency or did anything in the game, I can see Chrissy winning. Long shot, but not out of the realm of possibility. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, himela said:

Who said that only people who deserve to win actually win? Have you watched Season 1 of Australian Survivor? :P

😆 I was speaking for myself. That is, I wouldn't consider such a person deserving of the title/prize. But, obviously, jury is gonna jury... 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

😆 I was speaking for myself. That is, I wouldn't consider such a person deserving of the title/prize. But, obviously, jury is gonna jury... 

I get what you are saying and there have been times I was mad at juries and winners as well, but the social game is part of the game and we can't dismiss this fact. :)

• Love 1

I have a feeling the end is going to be pretty unsatisfying, which is probably why Johnathon went a bit too far once again in this last tribal council trying to spur the low hanging fruit into action.

Clearly the show doesn't think Chrissy, Dave, Jordan, KJ, or the twin voted out are using any kind of strategy worthy of the win, since they get pretty much zero airtime discussing it (or anything else). 

Josh is pissed that KJ has agency, especially when he’s voted for her multiple times? What are we missing here?

I know Sam annoys a lot of people, but I thought her reads during the season were spot on, and I’m a bit ticked that Mark wouldn’t listen to a single thing she had to say since merge.

• Love 1

Sam would have done better without Mark. She was right most of the time, but his word seemed to be the final word in any of their decisions. They both annoy me, so I'm glad at least one is gone, but I don't want Mark and his toothstick to win.

Not sure who to root for at this point. KJ used her advantage well, but they are making the second chance club seem all about Jordie. Obviously they flipped Dave before tribal, but we did not get to see who was instrumental in arranging all that. Crissy woke up for a second, but then fell right back in line. Dave is doing his own thing, and I kind of enjoy his no drama approach. I don't care about Josh. The Batman references are already old. ...but Shay should play Cat Woman.  

• Love 2

Man, I can.not.stand Mark! I can't stand Sam either, but he is the worst. Every time Sam was talking to camera she said "we" have, this that and the other; whereas Mark was "I" have 3 idols. Dude's been playing for himself and from the start always considered Sam as his support vote so "he" could win. It's always about him. 

At this point, I'm for anyone not named Mark to win.

Josh finally saw the writing on the wall, Mark would not take him to final 3 if he gets the chance. 

And I agree @TVbitch, Chrissy woke up and made sense for a minute, but then did what she always does: follow the leader. I don't think a jury will give her the win if she ends up in final 3.

Thank God Dave also saw the writing on the wall; ironically, it was Sam's excellent performance that finally convinced him she and Mark could have 2 idols. As he said to Josh, she had him convinced she was going to play the idol for herself at tribal. So, when he said at tribal either Sam or Jordie deserved the Oscar, she showed him she did deserve it, and that made him realise she could have Jessie's idol, after all.

KJ played her advantage correctly and then disappeared. Shay gave everyone a gift, and faded in the background. I want to root for them, but, they are either not doing enough planning and strategizing before TC, or the editors are not showing it to us because it is inconsequential, that is, neither one is going to end up in a position to win. Or maybe, fingers crossed, they are saving their actions for the epic blindside of Mark or Josh (a girl can hope).

Right now, to my chagrin, Mark is looking like a final 3 guy. He keeps winning individual immunity and he's now got 2 idols. If those things are not flushed soon, he'll coast right to the end. If that is the case, I hope the majority of the jury is bitter and petty, and remembers that he and Sam fooled them all with their two idols.

Not excited for any final 3 combination out if the people left, but at least things got interesting now that the predictable majority alliance is broken up. I think Jordie talks too much and makes too much of his "joker" abilities or his capacity to create chaos; had it not been for KC's advantage, I don't think the 6 would have been that easily broken up. But he at least managed to create enough doubt in Dave, which led to Dave paying more attention and finally doing the correct math and he did give KC credit for the move.

Next week, I want Mark to lose the Immunity Challenge to Jordie, by a hair, and to then be voted out with two idols in his pocket. Josh did warn him to use the idol for Sam at the last minute, so Mark might still trust him and believe that it was Chrissy who flipped. She was a late addition, anyway, and she came to them because she was following Dave.

Shut up, a girl can dream!!!!!

Edited by WearyTraveler
Grammar
  • Love 3
On 3/24/2022 at 9:23 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

She blames Jordan for signaling Josh during tribal and that's what got her booted.

Yeah interesting strategy, get a super frosty reception, go on the attack instead of trying to smooth things over.

22 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Yeah interesting strategy, get a super frosty reception, go on the attack instead of trying to smooth things over.

I don’t blame Sam for being pissed about someone going against the rules as a juror: to not signal anything to live players. 

I don’t blame Sam for being pissed about someone going against the rules as a juror: to not signal anything to live players.

I don't either, just thought it was totally the wrong time to go on the attack.

I saw her and Mark in that one season they were on and couldn't stand them together. This time when they were on separate tribes, I actually started liking her. She became awful when her and Mark were reunited. I'm glad she was voted off and I hope Mark goes soon, but I think they may have left it too late to get rid of him.

• Love 2

Does anyone else think that Mark secretly wanted Sam out of the game and that the sadness at the beginning of the episode was just for show? She had plenty of her own ideas since merge and he rejected every single one of them. 

Why did KJ vote for Jordie on the revote? 

• Love 1
On 3/27/2022 at 11:46 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

I saw her and Mark in that one season they were on and couldn't stand them together.

Never could stand Mark, he is so emotion less and treats Sam like a second class citizen, all the women really, imo.  Don't like Sam either though.

10 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Why did KJ vote for Jordie on the revote?

No idea, out of the loop?

• Love 3

Please tell me the women will now try to take control. Has it even crossed their minds? How would we know, since we almost never hear from them. They are a complete afterthought at this point. Even at tribal council, Jonathon talks almost exclusively to the guys and about what the guys might be doing. Are the women that really that feckless, or is production just so in love with Mark and his prevailing over Jordie and Josh, that they don't care to show what the women's plans are, if indeed they have any.  

PS. Did you know Mark was in the military? : D

That was too convey that Sam did not want Mark to play the secret idol. Who knows if that clip of her was actually from that moment, but the producers clearly still want us to think Sam is brilliant.  

6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Are the women that really that feckless, or is production just so in love with Mark and his prevailing over Jordie and Josh, that they don't care to show what the women's plans are, if indeed they have any.

When Sam was playing, production was paying her a lot of attention, so I guess the women who are left aren't really doing anything of consequence.

• Love 1

KJ, Shay and Chrissy were so close to getting the majority. Why oh why couldn’t KJ and Shay have also voted for Mark?

I suppose their reasoning was that Mark has made enemies in the jury, while Josh has not. So, a final 3 with Mark gives them more of a chance than a final 3 with Josh.

But they just jumped the gun and this was on KJ. She whispered to Shea that she thought Mark would vote with them. Meanwhile, Chrissy had made it clear she was voting for Mark, and even if she tried to obfuscate the conversation during tribal, she didn't do a good job of it, IMO, which is why Josh was frantically whispering in her ear to vote KJ.

KJ acted against her own self interests. If they managed to get one of the men out in  tonight's vote, the next immunity challenge would have been either Mark vs. Shay, or Josh vs. Shay. Mark or Josh winning would mean Shay is out, as it's clear neither one of them wants Shay in final 3. Shay wining immunity would mean an all women final 3.

So, for KJ's chances of making final 3, it really didn't matter which one of the two guys they got eliminated tonight. Knowing that Chrissy was never going to vote Josh out, they should have gone for the sure thing, instead of trying to figure out if Mark is going to vote with them. 

Meanwhile, Josh and Mark acted against their own self interests too. They should have been gunning for each other at this point, as their games are far too similar, and they could end up splitting the vote. Mark, particularly, should have thought it through a bit more. He has to know he pissed a lot of people off in that jury with his lying about the idols. I suppose he thinks his hands are clean because it was Sam who stole the idol from Jesse, but it's a risk to think that Jessie and Jordie are not lobbying that jury hard against Mark. Also, as KJ pointed out to Mark, it will be easier for him to go against three women,even if one of them is Shay, than against Josh and Shay. At this point no one thinks Chrissy is a real contender for final immunity, and Shay is a given at the next immunity challenge, so why on Earth would any of these two guys not choose to eliminate the other one? I guess they are both scared shirtless if loosing to Shea? Which, if true, is kind of awesome, given how alpha and boastful of their challenge prowess they both have been throughout the entire game.

Chrissy took a risk and then torpedoed her own "big move". This really was her last opportunity to add something to her resume that would make the jury vote for her. Having a good social game is a good thing, but it's unlikely you'll win the prize on social game alone. She has never won a challenge, or been instrumental in winning a challenge, or made major contributions to her tribes (food, shelter, fire). So, she really has nothing else to offer. She should have been very clear about her intentions to Shay and KJ, and even brag about it before the vote. Both Josh and Mark would have known she voted for Mark, anyway, after the count was done. So, if she feared having to explain to Josh why she voted Mark and losing his trust, she would have to do it, regardless. She will still have to do it now, even though she changed her vote to KJ. Does she really think that if Josh or Mark win the next IC they will choose Shay to go to final 3 over her? Even Chrissy has to know Shay has a better Survivor resume than she does. I suppose that if by some sort of miracle she manages to beat Josh, Mark, and Shay in the next IC, she could try to frame her choice as a big move, but I think the jury would see that as too little too late. 

I hope Shay crushes it next IC and then wins the whole thing, she hasn't been successful strategically, but she did try, and she survived that Purgatory thing. As I have stated before, I don't want Mark or Josh to win and Chrissy hasn't really done anything impressive enough to earn the win, so, go, Shay, go!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

Even Chrissy has to know Shay has a better Survivor resume than she does.

Although she seems to think she has played a great game.

3 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

I hope Shay crushes it next IC and then wins the whole thing, she hasn't been successful strategically, but she did try, and she survived that Purgatory thing. As I have stated before, I don't want Mark or Josh to win and Chrissy hasn't really done anything impressive enough to earn the win, so, go, Shay, go!

Yes I am hoping for a Shay win too.  I think the other 3 have coasted through the game.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Although she seems to think she has played a great game.

Yes I am hoping for a Shay win too.  I think the other 3 have coasted through the game.

I like Shay as a person, but other than win challenges, I can’t think of much that she’s done right.  Chrissy at least has built great social bonds, always on the right side of the vote, and never been a target

(edited)

Ugh. I figured by the 20 minute documentary about Mark they showed right before the merge feast that he was for sure winning. Really don't need to see him toss his child in the air ever again. Then Chrissy and Shay got a minute or two on each of them.

I can't remember a season where there was as little suspense as this one. No attempt was made to even make it look like any other contestant had any game. And Mark was so boring. 

Jessie's "commercial" for Mark at tribal. Ugh again. 

I think Chrissy over-estimates how much of a "family" Josh and Mark will be to her after the game. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 3

Have any of the contestants spoken out about the season or how it was edited? The way it was presented, you would think they only had dedicated cameras on the guys and Sam. And that Jonathon spoke mostly to the guys at tribal. 

The whole season was off for me. I remember early on there was a talking head from Jordie in which he spoke about wanting to "collect scalps." I could not believe they would air that.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Have any of the contestants spoken out about the season or how it was edited? The way it was presented, you would think they only had dedicated cameras on the guys and Sam. And that Jonathon spoke mostly to the guys at tribal. 

The whole season was off for me. I remember early on there was a talking head from Jordie in which he spoke about wanting to "collect scalps." I could not believe they would air that.

I only listen to RHAP podcasts for Australian Survivor coverage, but here is what I’ve heard so far from exit interviews and from recap episodes with Shannon Guss:

- Chrissy and Shay were eviscerated at final tribal council (mostly by Jesse, Jordy and Jordan) and no matter what their responses were, it was always about “but what moves did you make?” Chrissy started crying when talking about final tribal council to Shannon.

- Sam and KJ were treated kind of terribly at Ponderosa by the three men mentioned above. KJ had good reason to not fully trust Jordy when he didn’t even bother to tell her that he allegedly wanted her in his long-term plans, and he just claimed that it was irrelevant. 

Hoping that Shannon does some deep dives with Sam, Chrissy, KJ, Mark, Josh, Jordy, Shay, and maybe some others

Edited by jsm1125
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, TVbitch said:

And Mark was so boring. 

Yes and for me very unlikable.

23 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I think Chrissy over-estimates how much of a "family" Josh and Mark will be to her after the game. 

Indeed, they only wanted her as a number for their men's alliance imo.

5 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

he just claimed that it was irrelevant.

Yeah that was weird.

• Love 1

Australian survivor really should take a leaf out of US survivor and have the finale start at the final six. Would really cut down on a lot of pointless and useless episodes. But of course they won't do that because for some reason they are obsessed with having as many episodes as possible.

They should also cut down on number of contestants and get rid of non elimination episodes.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:40 PM, Columbo said:

Australian survivor really should take a leaf out of US survivor and have the finale start at the final six. Would really cut down on a lot of pointless and useless episodes. But of course they won't do that because for some reason they are obsessed with having as many episodes as possible.

They should also cut down on number of contestants and get rid of non elimination episodes.

I just finished watching Australian Survivor and I have to say that I enjoyed it better than the American Survivor, especially season 42.  I live in the US and was so disappointed about the American Survivor winner, that I needed to focus somewhere else.  I thought the Australian version had better gameplay, better challenges and better strategies.  I'm looking forward to the next season!

• Love 1
On 6/1/2022 at 5:17 PM, rr2911 said:

I thought the Australian version had better gameplay, better challenges and better strategies.

Yes agreed.  I have been particularly impressed with the Australian challenges which seem way more inventive than the repetitive US ones.  Also the cinematography and different locations.

• Love 1

I didn't watch the last season, I tried to watch the first two episodes but the site I watched them on just sucked and kept cutting out, so I gave up.  It sounds like I did not miss much by what I read here, but I kind of still want to watch it having watched all of the other seasons since the reboot.

I’m super excited for the upcoming Heroes vs. Villains season but worried that George, Jordie, Hayley, Shonee and Simon will suck up all the air time, as much as I love some of them.

Stevie from season 3 is such a random choice to bring back. 

• Like 3

Just watched the first episode of Heroes vs Villains. I don’t know many of the players because I’ve only seen a couple of seasons. It was interesting that they were given a choice to read the votes or not. I’m glad they read the votes because episodes without a vote out are boring.

• Like 1

I feel awful for Jackie. She was sidelined from the beginning with her Champions tribe in season 3 and got medivacced with no confessionals this season.

Anjali had Chrissy upside, so I’ll miss her.

While it was entertaining, I don’t think it made sense for anyone except Simon or Jordie to want to go forward with the vote.

Rogue can go fuck herself with that racism towards Nina.

Despite how much of a focal point Liz seemed, I don’t think we’ve had a confessional from her yet?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don't know about this season. The returning players are too scripted and camera-ready for me, and they are totally going to focus on them.  They are better in smaller doses. The emphasis on hero/villain stereotypes is boring, too. The Mark season may have killed this show for me!  

I generally like Simon, but why is he pretending in confessionals that George was the driving force behind his blindside in Brains vs. Brawns? That was Dani and Hayley!

Edited by jsm1125

I think it will be 2 times per week either next week or the week after.

Episode 3: George thinking that he’s running his tribe, LOL. I’m already tired of him. Did production plant a fake idol in the cookie jar? If so, that screams interference to me. 

Well, production recruiting Rogue certainly backfired on them. From what I’ve seen, she’s not doing exit press.

I’m waiting to see if George or if Jordie take the first shot at each other. No way they’re working together long-term, given how much George eviscerated Jordie during his Talking Tribal appearances last season.

• Like 1

Rogue was dreadful so I’m not sorry to see her go. It seemed obvious that she saw the writing on the wall and thus did her “I’d like to be voted out” baloney as a means of saving face and pretending she had control over her departure.

• Like 1

*sigh* Of course the only Asian left in the game gets labeled sneaky and shifty for…wanting to make a group fake idol? 

Sam seems so thoroughly dismissive and unpleasant to those not in his core alliance, so how he makes it so far and is never a target early on is beyond me.

• Like 2

Can anybody help me out with...

Who Rogue is outside the game? 

What is the thing Simon found in the cookie jar? 

Is Hayley the winner who was voted out in her season, but then brought back in on a challenge of ousted players that seemed unfairly designed to get her back in? I seem to recall it annoyed me at the time. It was two huge dudes and her trying to get back in and the challenge was essentially holding up your body weight.  

2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Can anybody help me out with...

Who Rogue is outside the game? 

What is the thing Simon found in the cookie jar? 

Is Hayley the winner who was voted out in her season, but then brought back in on a challenge of ousted players that seemed unfairly designed to get her back in? I seem to recall it annoyed me at the time. It was two huge dudes and her trying to get back in and the challenge was essentially holding up your body weight.  

Rogue is a conservationist and animal rights activist outside the game.

I don’t believe we know as of this moment what Simon actually found in the cookie jar.

Hayley was voted out in her season and then came back after winning a challenge against the also-votes-out Baden. I can see why people didn’t like that, but I’d also argue that Hayley got fucked by having a tribal council where only one person could vote (when originally, only 3 people could vote).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m starting to think that production intentionally made this a half returnee half newbie season just to fuck over the newbies. The second episode in a row where a newbie voted out didn’t have a single confessional in their boot episode? What are we doing here? Also, is it a production secret that AFL players get as little airtime as possible? 

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 1