Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: Auditions Begin

radishcake
  • Start Topic

50 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

I assumed they were talking about World Champions in Cheerleading.  There are several really good cheer gyms in Texas, so it doesn't surprise me that the DCC have had girls w/ Worlds rings try out.   However, being a part of a team that wins a Cheer World Championship doesn't really make you any more qualified for DCC - for ex., I believe Shelby has a Worlds ring or two from Cheer Athletics Panthers.   I think Studio dance, and/or maybe a drill team/Pom squad that does a kickline, are probably the best ways to prepare oneself for DCC - all star Cheerleading, even if you are really good, really doesn't help as much as you'd think.

Yeah these girls who come from world championship contending teams and top placing gyms have always lived cheerleading probably never even stepped into a dance studio until they decided to try out for DCC. A worlds ring doesn't mean much to K & J when you can't do a double pirouette or learn a dance a night. 

• Love 2

Not sure how she or the team placed, but Kat was an Olympian. Perhaps "national champions" would be a more accurate descriptor to have used. Melissa and Megan C were national dance champs of some sort, etc. As for world champs in cheerleading, is that like the World Series in baseball, where it's only an American competition and it's just called "world"? Not snarking, a real question. I know almost nothing about competitive cheer, except that, as pointed out above, lots of those girls can't cut it as DCC. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, M1977G said:

Not sure how she or the team placed, but Kat was an Olympian. Perhaps "national champions" would be a more accurate descriptor to have used. Melissa and Megan C were national dance champs of some sort, etc. As for world champs in cheerleading, is that like the World Series in baseball, where it's only an American competition and it's just called "world"? Not snarking, a real question. I know almost nothing about competitive cheer, except that, as pointed out above, lots of those girls can't cut it as DCC. 

In senior age divisions (18 and under) international teams can compete but it's usually just US teams. I think there were like maybe 5 Canadian teams among the different senior divisions this year, but it's just really hard for non US teams to get a bid (aka invite). In international open divisions (17 and up) there are a lot more international teams and a top 3 rule (only top 3 from each country makes finals - stupid rule I think). Also I want to note there are multiple divisions at worlds - this year there were 12, next year there will be 14 - and imo worlds is kind of a glorified nationals especially in the senior divisions where it's 99% US teams. While it's not US only it does take place in Disney world and it can be hard to get a bid and expensive for international teams, especially senior teams who aren't guaranteed a spot in finals (hell it can be expensive for US teams) and as a result there are a lot more US teams competing.

Wasn't Kat a junior Olympian? It's still cool but there has to be a difference because I feel like you don't hear about the jr Olympics. 

Edited by beachespeaches
  • Love 1

Thanks for the cheer competition breakdown! I think Kat was an Olympian, but I wouldn't swear by it. The ballroom dancer with the nightmare fringe pants from auditions this year was a junior Olympian, though. 

So excited for the next episode! Hopefully CMT and iTunes will be quick about uploading the new episode. 

54 minutes ago, beachespeaches said:

In senior age divisions (18 and under) international teams can compete but it's usually just US teams. I think there were like maybe 5 Canadian teams among the different senior divisions this year, but it's just really hard for non US teams to get a bid (aka invite). In international open divisions (17 and up) there are a lot more international teams and a top 3 rule (only top 3 from each country makes finals - stupid rule I think). Also I want to note there are multiple divisions at worlds - this year there were 12, next year there will be 14 - and imo worlds is kind of a glorified nationals especially in the senior divisions where it's 99% US teams. While it's not US only it does take place in Disney world and it can be hard to get a bid and expensive for international teams, especially senior teams who aren't guaranteed a spot in finals (hell it can be expensive for US teams) and as a result there are a lot more US teams competing.

Wasn't Kat a junior Olympian? It's still cool but there has to be a difference because I feel like you don't hear about the jr Olympics. 

I was in junior olympics for track and it is definitely not on the same level as the Olympics.

No, Kat was on the junior national team. If she competed as an individual that would just mean she placed top 10 at nationals, in the junior division. But since she competed in the "group" competition, it means her group placed in the top 3 groups at nationals, in the junior division.  Definitely not an Olympian. And they don't have junior olympics in gymnastics. They have a junior division and a senior division at the elite level, if that's what you meant. Sorry for shoving way too much info down your throats, I'm sure no one really cares about these details lol. 

• Love 2
On 8/4/2017 at 5:27 AM, ByTor said:

I'm pretty sure we all have a nose :P

Not like that!  She has one of the worst ones I have ever seen.  Like a Toucan!

(Everytime I do this, criticize someone's nose, I smack my own hand but I just can't resist it)

Edited by missmansfield
Added more