Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: Auditions Begin

radishcake
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

They take the test on the day of semi finals & DCC Staff grades them. The rules for finals since the early 2000's have encouraged hand held props. Every once in a while a bigger one would sneak thru. It's really meant to speed the process of finals on an already lengthy day. 

How much importance does the test weigh on putting someone through? If there's a rockstar dancer who bombs her test, what would her chances likely be? 

Edited by HowdeeDo
Spelling, It's 2am and my brain shut down at 10.

I'd love to see or hear what's on the test. I know the generals--football rules & facts, Cowboys trivia, history & current team info, and "current events." But what current events? How trivial (or not) are the trivia questions? Did they ask this year who Sean Spicer is? Is it multiple choice or write-in or a combination? 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

How much importance does the test weigh on putting someone through? If there's a rockstar dancer who bombs her test, what would her chances likely be? 

Nicole Hamilton failed that test her 4th or 5th year and she was just lower on the  board that they use in TC to compare the girls. But I don't think anyone was trying to get rid of Nicole... her dancing was PHENOMENAL. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

It does have some impact on their scoring and they are sometimes questioned about it during their interviews. If they make it to training camp, they are continuously educated on DCC, DCFC and expected to keep up on current events. Tests have been known to be given again during training camp. 

57 minutes ago, M1977G said:

I'd love to see or hear what's on the test. I know the generals--football rules & facts, Cowboys trivia, history & current team info, and "current events." But what current events? How trivial (or not) are the trivia questions? Did they ask this year who Sean Spicer is? Is it multiple choice or write-in or a combination? 

Fill in the blank & multiple choice. Current events cover Texas & National politics, sports, entertainment. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Law Mom said:

For all those extra factoids, I think a pop-up version of the show would be awesome! It would make me watch twice, that's for sure. CMT, are you listening?

Like Pop Up video?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

It does have some impact on their scoring and they are sometimes questioned about it during their interviews. If they make it to training camp, they are continuously educated on DCC, DCFC and expected to keep up on current events. Tests have been known to be given again during training camp. 

Fill in the blank & multiple choice. Current events cover Texas & National politics, sports, entertainment. 

That's me failing it then. I know nothing about Texas politics and not much more about National politics. I know Trump keeps sacking everyone and wants to build a wall. As soon as I learnt who Sean Spicer was that info was redundant. I know nothing about NFL but do know about international football, I don't suppose many questions come up about that? 

• Love 1

I thought I ask on this thread since we back to the audition process/events to see if anyone knows the answer -

Basic DCC audition 101 question: Why do you have to resign from your current professional cheerleader position, to try out for another ? 

The NBA season is more than 1/2 over in the spring and the NHL & NFL are in their off season.

I guess I am asking from a corporate America background - don't quit one job before you have another. ☺

9 minutes ago, sATL said:

I thought I ask on this thread since we back to the audition process/events to see if anyone knows the answer -

Basic DCC audition 101 question: Why do you have to resign from your current professional cheerleader position, to try out for another ? 

The NBA season is more than 1/2 over in the spring and the NHL & NFL are in their off season.

I guess I am asking from a corporate America background - don't quit one job before you have another. ☺

Because it's nearly impossible to do both? And other than DCC I'd imagine other teams still have no "off season" as well with functions, calendars, appearances, etc.

4 minutes ago, HowdeeDo said:

Because it's nearly impossible to do both? And other than DCC I'd imagine other teams still have no "off season" as well with functions, calendars, appearances, etc.

i'm not suggesting to do both . but to make sure you are a TCC before you burn a bridge with the team you are on. Like the TN-Titan Briana said - if she doesn't make it she is completely out of the NFL.

Edited by sATL
Just now, sATL said:

i'm not suggesting to do both . but to make sure you are a DCC before you burn a bridge with the team you are on. Like the TN-Titan Briana said - if she doesn't make it she is completely out of the NFL.

Ah! Well I guess it would all depend on when the audition for each team are and at what stage they're cut. I think it's only the Mavs that don't let girls comeback if they audition for the DCC (and maybe any other team?). Briana could always audition elsewhere, it's just a risk they may be willing to take. 

4 hours ago, Silverleaf said:

That's me failing it then. I know nothing about Texas politics and not much more about National politics. I know Trump keeps sacking everyone and wants to build a wall. As soon as I learnt who Sean Spicer was that info was redundant. I know nothing about NFL but do know about international football, I don't suppose many questions come up about that? 

I don't think you'd fail it. Like with any job interview, you'd probably spend some time cramming some basic knowledge about the DCC, the Cowboys organization and basic US politics. You could probably cover the basics with several hours with Wikipedia and Google :) 

I think both Angela and Jinelle referenced studying American football before their interviews. Just don't say you think the VP is O'Biden and that you don't really read. Lol. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Growing up around the DCC organization, Dayton must have knocked the test out of the park.

1 hour ago, sATL said:

NBA goes from October to June, including playoffs. I would think that other teams contracts go through a playoff & championship game, with short, off-season obligations. I've never seen a contract for Mavs, but it's my understanding that if they want to try out for DCC, they must sit out a season, due to their contractual year and timing of our auditions. 

33 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Growing up around the DCC organization, Dayton must have knocked the test out of the park.

She could have done better. ? But just because you grow up around it, doesn't mean you are knowledgeable, you're more likely to absorb the nuances. She didn't prep her whole life for this audition like some others. 

• Love 4

Hey gals (and guys!) 

Good to be back! Was scrolling through some of the forums and y'all were cracking me up ?

Episode 1: yay!!

Kelli does look trimmer 3 snaps for that 

Judy's always looking beautiful but that dress...meh

Melissa Rycroft: I could take or leave her

Christina's hair is super cute! She has bugged me in the past but I really hope she makes it this time!!

Dayton is a doll and one with no ego, she seems so sweet. She'll get it in a year or two for SURE @ShellyB y'all are so great together! I love that segment ♡

Was it just me or did I see Sheridan?

Mom and daughter were a cute scene

Brennan actually looked so beautiful to me when she was doing her freestyle, I didn't even notice the eyes lol, even though I know we'll be seeing more of her and the sorta crossed eyes 

Really like Brianna but I know she's a bit too young

I'm really liking Alexandria a LOT, she's my shoe-in

And Kalyssa..maybe they can tone her down a bit lol  

Overall I'm excited for this season and can't wait to see what these rookies bring to the table ????

Side note: just had our sweet little baby boy at the end of June and hopefully he'll grow up and want to be a COWBOY ???⭐

That's it for now! Yay for a new season ?

♡K

• Love 5
8 hours ago, sATL said:

i'm not suggesting to do both . but to make sure you are a TCC before you burn a bridge with the team you are on. Like the TN-Titan Briana said - if she doesn't make it she is completely out of the NFL.

Titans cheerleaders auditions were preliminaries-April 8 and finals-May 3. DCC first round of auditions were May 6&7. There would be no way for her to try out for the Titans if she didn't make training camp so she had to take the gamble. I'm sure most other football teams' cheerleaders tryouts are held around the same time, too. 

• Love 1

OK Kelli needs a reality check.  She's a beautiful woman but for goodness sakes, just size up in clothing!  She looked like she was holding her breath and tightening everything up to make it down the field in that dress.  Seriously!  Was she even breathing??  It's ridiculous and the dress being that tight only highlighted what she's trying to hide -- that age and metabolism aren't always nice. 

It's like when I try to fit into my dresses and end up w/ a hernia trying to zip up.  Sometimes it's best to just suck it up and get the next size up.

• Love 1

This is my first season watching and not knowing any spoliers except for the vets that got cut so I am excited!  These first episodes are always kind of boring though. I am bummed finals are not in episode 2.  I can't imagine how a whole episode will be filled with semifinals. 

Christina looks cute with the short hair.  Did she try out last year or in 2015?

Dayton is so pretty.  She seemed nervous which is understandable. 

I can't tell if I like Kalyssa or not yet.   I was side eye-ing when she said she was valedictorian but didn't go to college so she could dance full time.  Not necessarily questioning pursuing dance over college if that is your true passion, but being an NBA dancer doesn't prevent most dancers from also attending college, right?  I feel like part of this story is missing (which may just be editing and no fault of Kalyssa). 

I was whatever on the ballroom dancer.  I didn't like her comment "every girl dreams of being a DCC!"  

I feel so rude saying this but Melissa R. just cannot get her look down.  Not a fan of her make up.  I do think she is fine as a judge.

• Love 6

I think Melissa Rycroft just looks kind of...sloppy next to Kelli and Judy and Charlotte.  Her personal style seems to trend more towards casual/hippie/bohemian.  Looking at Google images and her instagram, she favors shorts and rompers a lot, even on the red carpet or in interviews, along with chunky jewelry and messy, beachy hair. 

It's not bad, per se, and it works for her but Kelli and Judy and Charlotte go for either professional wear or a "ladies who lunch" vibe, especially at auditions.  This is the best example I can find:

tn-500_bbmrarlington-20140517-00134.jpg

(P.S. That is Broadway legend Betty Buckley at the end, although I have NO CLUE why.)

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

I think Melissa Rycroft just looks kind of...sloppy next to Kelli and Judy and Charlotte.  Her personal style seems to trend more towards casual/hippie/bohemian.  Looking at Google images and her instagram, she favors shorts and rompers a lot, even on the red carpet or in interviews, along with chunky jewelry and messy, beachy hair. 

It's not bad, per se, and it works for her but Kelli and Judy and Charlotte go for either professional wear or a "ladies who lunch" vibe, especially at auditions.  This is the best example I can find:

(P.S. That is Broadway legend Betty Buckley at the end, although I have NO CLUE why.)

Wasn't this from last year or the year before? I think she wore blue this year during prelims...not sure about semis/finals though.

2 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Wasn't this from last year or the year before? I think she wore blue this year during prelims...not sure about semis/finals though.

Yeah, this was a couple years ago...Season 9, I think?  I was just trying to find a shot of all of them together, and I think this one illustrates my point about different styles.

Just now, Nancybeth said:

Yeah, this was a couple years ago...Season 9, I think?  I was just trying to find a shot of all of them together, and I think this one illustrates my point about different styles.

I think she glammed up more this year at least, I think last year she was pretty dressed down. Probably because she was pregnant.

Who was the girl who looked totally different in the pictures.  I mean she looked totally different.  I knew the ballroom dancer wouldnt make it.  She had a weird overbite/smile when she was dancing.  It was strange.

39 minutes ago, vmcd88 said:

Who was the girl who looked totally different in the pictures.  I mean she looked totally different.  I knew the ballroom dancer wouldnt make it.  She had a weird overbite/smile when she was dancing.  It was strange.

Madisyn, I don't think she looked totally different though.

4 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Madisyn, I don't think she looked totally different though.

Darker hair and little heavier but still really cute. She replied on the FB post of the deleted scene featuring her saying it was her Senior picture and she wasn't where she wanted to be weight wise but it sounds like she might come back next year or in the next few years.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I think it looked like the same person. Madisyn gained some weight and had darker hair, but didn't look like a total Catfish.

Yeah, I said the same exact thing watching the episode.

28 minutes ago, LilRedHerring said:

Thought Madisyn's hair was an improvement over her Senior pic!

I'm in love with her hair!  It's so flowy and sexy and the color is great.  

14 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

Who else thought Briana's audition outfit was weird? It looked like two gold postage stamps over her boobs. I thought her dancing was really lackluster and left much to be desired.

It was a little risqué, I thought

• Love 1

Madisyn reminds me of Madeline. Kate reminds me of Milan. Kate and Milan both need a total makeover because their hair and makeup ages them by at least ten years in my opinion. Shelly and her daughter are cute. Funny how they kept saying Dayton will be making it on her own and not because her mother was a former DCC (no offense to Shelly and her daughter because I think Dayton is definitely DCC material.) Why did Mentor Melissa have to remind us she was out last year as a judge because she had a baby. Really... In my opinion, her being a judge and mentor is not all that important or impressive especially when you have former DCCs like Kelli, Judy and Shelly working within the DCC organization. And Miss Charlotte needs to eat a sandwich. Her outfit and lack of weight is not doing her any favors.

8 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I think Melissa Rycroft just looks kind of...sloppy next to Kelli and Judy and Charlotte.  Her personal style seems to trend more towards casual/hippie/bohemian.  

She could do hippie/bohemian SO MUCH BETTER than that. Sloppy. (perfect word choice)

• Love 2
On 8/5/2017 at 3:08 PM, mmm said:

I ask this every season how were your guys fave outfits ?

I liked Brennan's with the black sparkly tankini style.  I thought it was different and flattering to her figure.

I also liked the Aqua/seafoam green for Alexandria.  It looked great on her and appeared to be a less popular color so it stood out.  I liked that it was her sister's good luck audition outfit!  

And the fushia one on the girl who needs her hair cut..Katelyn....the halter style was flattering on her and it did not seem like too many looked like that.

• Love 3
On 8/6/2017 at 2:01 AM, Law Mom said:

For all those extra factoids, I think a pop-up version of the show would be awesome! It would make me watch twice, that's for sure. CMT, are you listening?

Welp.  Now you just made me miss Pop-Up Video.  Thanks!

• Love 1

Long time lurker here that finally decided to join the snark!  I've loved this show since I first saw it back in 2006 (and I would LOVE to get my hands on the 2005 special - I've never seen it).  Thoughts on the first episode:

LOVE Brianna.  Like Judy said, she's unpolished, but definitely has potential.  But in next week's preview, her kicks look to be a "deal breaker." ;)

Kalyssa is already annoying me.  Her attitude of "I started dance later because I was sitting on my couch doing nothing and it only took me two years to start winning competitions!" just screams entitled.  Especially when she mentioned how smart she was but gave up college to dance in the NBA.  I'm hoping for an epic Kitty Carter takedown because her dance ability is now defined by ta-ta shaking and "nasty, but in a good way."

I'm on the fence about Madisyn.  I like her story and her dance was OK, but I'm not disappointed that she didn't advance.

The comeback girls:  Celinda is just boring to me.  I think Brennan has the best chance of making the team, but I'll still be surprised if she actually does make it.  Whitney comes across as an entitled snot - please cut her sooner rather than later.  I was never a Christina fan, but I have to admit that she's starting to grow on me this season.  Her hair is awesome!

Dayton is beautiful and seems like a lovely, well-spoken young woman with a great legacy, but her dancing was lackluster.  She needs WAY more power for DCC.  I'll be curious to see how far she advances.

"4x Ballroom Dance Champion" Kate - just NO.  Go back to the ballroom and get off my screen.

Mother/Daughter duo - The daughter had average looks and maybe slightly above average dance, but Mom totally took one for the team so her daughter could advance.  I'm not sure anyone would have truly noticed the daughter without the storyline.

Katelynn's dance was great, but a makeover is in need.  Her look is horrible.

Totally excited for the rest of the season!  And I'm SO glad we have a new intro!

• Love 3

I found it a bit hypocritical that the mom was described by the judges as so brave for auditioning even though she wasn't a good dancer but then they had the usual montage of bad dancers. So you're only brave if you're a bad dancer who's over the age of 30?

I'm totally fine with the fact that they have open auditions for the first round. If you want to pay the application fee, get up at the crack of dawn, stand in line, and then wait all day so that you can freestyle for a whole minute, then more power to you for doing it even though you know you have a snowball's chance in hell of making it past that first cut. It just seems mean spirited to talk shit about people who can't dance if they're 18-25 but then turn around and act like this mom is a saint for agreeing to dance badly on television.

On a related note, I thought the audition guidelines said that everyone had to wear bra tops and bootie shorts, so I definitely noticed that the mom was wearing  tank top and sparkle face was wearing leggings. I mean, not that either of them was going to get to the next round, but still.

Like others have mentioned, it seems odd that the daughter made semis but the ballroom dancer didn't. You'd think that Kelli and Judy would want to see her do their choreography because they love adding more champions to the DCC. When Kelli said the DCC has had world champions on their team, I immediately wondered - world champions of what exactly? I don't mean that in a bitchy way either. I sincerely want to know because you can't just tell me that you have world champions and then leave me hanging! That would be like someone casually mentioning that their family had several Olympic athletes and then changing the subject. I want to know more! I love when people have other skills or interests and I really like when groups like DCC have members with a diverse range of talents, so of course I want the details!

It is part of the guidelines.  No bike shorts, no leggings, no T-shirts, no tank-tops, nothing but bras and bootie shorts.  It may be that that's in there and anyone who doesn't follow that for whatever reason (probably either because they're clueless, want to stand out, whatever) is a strike against them in auditions.  The thinking may be that if they can't, or won't, follow directions for auditions, they likely won't follow directions in Training Camp.

• Love 2

There have been a few cheerleading world champions on DCC - Cassie, Kamilah (I'm like 95% she was a '08 world champ but I could be wrong), Ashley Pro and those are the only ones I can think of right now. I think it's odd she even brings it up because all star is a complete 180 from DCC and a lot of former all star cheerleaders who try out seem to struggle with DCC (Courtney, Hunter, Shelbi, Cami, Ashley Pro, the girl who did Bring it On on broadway) I wonder if there is a true dance world championship (not all star dance that happens the same weekend as cheer worlds) that she could be talking about?

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When Kelli said the DCC has had world champions on their team, I immediately wondered - world champions of what exactly? I don't mean that in a bitchy way either. I sincerely want to know because you can't just tell me that you have world champions and then leave me hanging! That would be like someone casually mentioning that their family had several Olympic athletes and then changing the subject. I want to know more! I love when people have other skills or interests and I really like when groups like DCC have members with a diverse range of talents, so of course I want the details!

Edited by beachespeaches
I can't spell ughhhhh
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Like others have mentioned, it seems odd that the daughter made semis but the ballroom dancer didn't. You'd think that Kelli and Judy would want to see her do their choreography because they love adding more champions to the DCC. When Kelli said the DCC has had world champions on their team, I immediately wondered - world champions of what exactly? I don't mean that in a bitchy way either. I sincerely want to know because you can't just tell me that you have world champions and then leave me hanging! That would be like someone casually mentioning that their family had several Olympic athletes and then changing the subject. I want to know more! I love when people have other skills or interests and I really like when groups like DCC have members with a diverse range of talents, so of course I want the details!

I can see the daughter getting enough "maybe" votes to make it past prelims, but in reality the storyline probably saved her from the chopping block on this round.  She has the same issue as Ballroom - great body and decent dancing, but doesn't have the "HD-ready face."  I'll be surprised if Daughter makes it through semis.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Calicocats said:

Pretty sure they showed Megan and were referencing her and Amy T being national dance champs in some contest or another.

Rachel was on a National Championship team

• Love 1

I assumed they were talking about World Champions in Cheerleading.  There are several really good cheer gyms in Texas, so it doesn't surprise me that the DCC have had girls w/ Worlds rings try out.   However, being a part of a team that wins a Cheer World Championship doesn't really make you any more qualified for DCC - for ex., I believe Shelby has a Worlds ring or two from Cheer Athletics Panthers.   I think Studio dance, and/or maybe a drill team/Pom squad that does a kickline, are probably the best ways to prepare oneself for DCC - all star Cheerleading, even if you are really good, really doesn't help as much as you'd think.

• Love 2