Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: Auditions Begin

radishcake
  • Start Topic

OK, I guess I'm in the minority. I loved the fact that they spent a whole show on prelims. I love the audition process. Many girls don't make it past prelims and now we'll know if they are returning or not next year. I hate it when they do a backstory on a girl in prelims and it's obvious she makes the team and is basically the sole focus for the season (Morgan!), so it didn't grate when they focused on ballroom girl. It was obvious she wasn't going to make it.

I notice that there's a pointed effort for them to show K&J and the other judges saying positive things about the girls auditioning. 

Breanna was definitely beautiful, but the preview for next week shows some very low kicks. Wonder if that will be a deal breaker or if they'll "take a chance" on another low kicker again?

I loved the "We Are Family" bit from DJ EJ. Cute! I have to admit I'm surprised the daughter made it to semis. I think she'll get cut because she doesn't really have the DCC look. But kudos to Mom for being brave and putting it all out there just to bucket list it :)

The ballroom dancer completely annoyed the hell out of me, so I was relieved she didn't make it to semis. Don't have to hear her talk about how she's a "4 time champion" again

I think Popcorn Kelly is crazy to have spent $1000 on an audition outfit. Please tell me she was exaggerating.

I love Christina's new hair style. It suits her well and makes her look younger. The super long hair actually aged her a bit. Plus, she should definitely stay blonde. Brunette was too dark on her when she had a make-over the last time she was in TC. I hope they let her keep the style. She's one that I'm hoping her injury is healed and there are NO EXCUSES this time around. I would love it if she came in and slayed it. We will see...

Not thrilled to see Melissa R. back. Ugh! Can she just keep having babies and do something else?

Dayton was cute, but I'm not sure she's a strong enough dancer to go much further in the process. I did love seeing Shelley cheering her on. I know legacy kids get a bad rap on here, but I think Dayton seems like a level-headed girl and doesn't give off an attitude like she expects to waltz on to the team.

I'm just happy the new season is finally on. The lack of spoilers was really dwindling my enthusiasm. I don't really have any favorites to root for right now.

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Mine still won't play past the first commercial

Word of advice.  DO NOT use Google Chrome to watch.  Finally got it to play in Edge.  Dayton looked good.  Who was the other "legacy"?

13 hours ago, DFWBelle said:

-"Nasty in a good kind of way." Kalyssa Kalyssa... it's easier to tone it down than to teach to turn it up I guess. What's with the Hollys and younger girls being overtly sexy? You really don't have to shimmy with sparkled out bra to exude it, really.

That was so funny- Judy explaining her notes to Charlotte was priceless.  Thanks for reminding me there was so much going on in auditions I forgot Kalyssa's floor show!

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, SopranoKris said:

I think Popcorn Kelly is crazy to have spent $1000 on an audition outfit. Please tell me she was exaggerating.

She was holding another outfit in her hand, so I think it may have been her solo outfit she was referring to?  That price would make more sense for that (not that you need to spend that). I loved the girl who had her mom spend time applying all the bling and also the girl that spent $80.  Asthestics is important BUT At some point the girl needs to be able to dance and no outfit whatever the price will change that.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Dayton looked good.  Who was the other "legacy"?

I wonder if the other "legacy" was the daughter of the dallas cowboy football player?  Or would "legacy" only be daughter of a DCC?  I think it is odd that we did not see the other one that is why I was thinking maybe the reference was her.

15 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I wonder if the other "legacy" was the daughter of the dallas cowboy football player?  Or would "legacy" only be daughter of a DCC?  I think it is odd that we did not see the other one that is why I was thinking maybe the reference was her.

Speaking of legacies.. isn't Kelly's daughter old enough to try out? It's had to be at least 3 years ago when they did a quick segment on Kelly teaching her to drive

First thought was how did the ballroom dancer not at least make to semi , i sry but she's prettier than some DCC currently.

I always annoyed with DCC trying to make themselves virginal or consrervitive , you ask the girls that you to be more sexy and when u get a girl that already is you give her shit for it. WTF   

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, sATL said:

Speaking of legacies.. isn't Kelly's daughter old enough to try out? It's had to be at least 3 years ago when they did a quick segment on Kelly teaching her to drive

She may audition, but she's also really focused on school I believe. Can't remember if she was going for a law degree or something but she's only been seen in a few dance classes and I don't know if it's a high priority for her. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, English Teacher said:

I hope that semi finals is a complete episode and that semis and finals are not rushed in 1 single hour. 

I would rather see prelims and semis together than semis and finals. One hour for finals is perfect. I'm interested to see how far they will stretch out semis. Hopefully the first part will be semis and the second part will be the vets learning the semis routine. Then we can see more of finals, more of the interviews, more of kitty's prep class, more solos, more field routine, and much much more of the judges commentary about the candidates. The thing I liked about last nights episode is that there was more discussion about more of the candidates in the K&J&C meeting. 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, 2MorkiesMom said:

Ballroom Kate is a Jets cheerleader according to her profile:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/flight-crew/cheerleaders/Kate/eb95febf-9ba2-41e0-92e4-90e01c307841

She was a teammate of Savannah's, I have to wonder why they weren't seen together. 

3 year vet of the Jets Flight Crew? Weird they didn't mention that yet I guess it didn't fit her narrative of "Champion ballroom dancer chasing this crazy cheerleader dream for the first time."

Edited by veronicamers
wordssssssssssssssssssss
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, beachespeaches said:

If Ballroom Dancer looked like she did in her JFC pic she might have had a better chance. The side part with soft waves and more natural makeup looks better than those curls and dark eyes she wore imo. 

Yes, I agree.  I dont know what others think, but i also thought she was prettier/natural as a brunette that we saw in her ballroom shots.  Do you think that they had a number of Jets girls trying out maybe had play in why she focused on the ballroom?  I would have saved most of the ballroom for solos myself and shown more my cheer/dance style. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

I would rather see prelims and semis together than semis and finals. One hour for finals is perfect. I'm interested to see how far they will stretch out semis. Hopefully the first part will be semis and the second part will be the vets learning the semis routine. Then we can see more of finals, more of the interviews, more of kitty's prep class, more solos, more field routine, and much much more of the judges commentary about the candidates. The thing I liked about last nights episode is that there was more discussion about more of the candidates in the K&J&C meeting. 

Exactly.  I have always wished that finals were a 2 hour special.  I love watching the work with Kitty and I appreciated that they gave us a glimpse of the vet practice.  I'd love to see more of deliberations and more solo clips too.  

• Love 7

I was not a fan of Kalyssa, both from her interview and her dancing. I found her overrated personally. I'm sure she'll make the team because I have a sucky eye for that stuff.

Also wasn't a fan of Farrah Fawcett Lauren (was that her name?). She seems like someone K&J will like too so she'll probably make it.

Whitney should not have come back but at the same time I'm not surprised she did because it seems like she just can't give this up! I predict they'll try to send a message by cutting her at semi's this year since in all her previous years she's made finals at least.

Christina has only been trying out for 5 years? Seems way longer than that LOL .... She's always been a nice dancer so it will be interesting to see if she has her kicks straightened out .. so to speak.

I shouldn't be surprised (but I am!) that they spent 950 minutes on the ballroom dancer's intro and she doesn't make it past prelims. Wonder who will get that spot in the semi round!

I feel like this episode was a little bloated but at the same time I liked it. If they don't break out semi's and finals into their own episodes too I will be pissed. Just don't make finals a 2 episode cliffhanger CMT!

• Love 3

Not sure why ballroom's makeup was so bad for auditions - I think that's what killed her, unless they had info about behavioral issues that weren't mentioned on camera. 

She was pretty enough in her photos they showed during the review (cheerleader pic and a headshot next to it,) three years experience as an NFL cheerleader and a shit ton of experience and technical ability from ballroom. If she was focused on Latin, that takes a lot of power so easy enough to translate.

So seriously, I don't get why they didn't put her into semis. I didn't think she had the look when she showed up, but she has potential and heaven knows they've taken bigger train wrecks before. 

From what we were shown, no reason round two wasn't happening for her. And now I'm curious what the unknown might be. Did anyone catch her name? Might be worth a google. 

• Love 6

One other thing about Ballroom girl and then I'm done promise.... She spent several of her 950 minutes (I'm sorry I can't let that go!) saying how she wanted to do something different than just ballroom and then spent almost all of her dance time and waiting for numbers time doing ballroom moves... then she said if she saw her number she was going to do a ballroom move. 

Maybe she didn't get past prelims because they think she can only do ballroom? She should take that into consideration if she comes back.... although during deliberations with K&J&C they did seem to comment more on her look than her dance.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, SanLynn said:

I feel like this episode was a little bloated but at the same time I liked it. If they don't break out semi's and finals into their own episodes too I will be pissed. Just don't make finals a 2 episode cliffhanger CMT!

THIS ^^^ this is what I'm wondering on how they're padding out from 8 - 13 episodes, will they stretch the finals round into two episodes? I really hope not!!!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, twinkietwin94 said:

THIS ^^^ this is what I'm wondering on how they're padding out from 8 - 13 episodes, will they stretch the finals round into two episodes? I really hope not!!!

and/or maybe the padding will come at the end. special events like the breast cancer game, the photo shoot in Mexico,  more corrections after the 1st preseason game, etc. and I am sure there will be a a lot of coverage eating into an episode on the $1.8 million training center they built..

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

I'm indifferent towards Christina. I'll be interested to see her during this season. Wasn't her biggest fan her last go round in training camp.

i admire Whitney for coming back repeatedly. It almost seems as if they don't like her. I think they let her go to the next round knowing she wouldn't even make training camp let alone the team. 

I do admire Whitney for coming back but I thought they made it pretty clear...Don't come back.  It;'s not gonna happen.  

• Love 3

Wasn't there a girl who said she is the daughter of football player? (Don't remember the name).

Seems like A LOT of girls from other teams auditioned this year. Since Danielle and Jasmine made the team, there seems to be Jets cheerleaders every year.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Wasn't there a girl who said she is the daughter of football player? (Don't remember the name).

Seems like A LOT of girls from other teams auditioned this year. Since Danielle and Jasmine made the team, there seems to be Jets cheerleaders every year.

Ron Stone is the dad ( link ).. I didn't catch her name. Legacy to me - means mom was a DCC..

But I guess this is the first of a daughter of a player.. or the first whose said something and gotten camera time

• Love 1

Whitney is super pretty but she got weird during the cut. I liked Kaylissa, though she may need to tone down the umm... not so girl next door vibe. But she comes from the Thunder so I want her on the team.

Spoiler

Especially since they canned my little Heather.

I can't get on board with Christina. She reminds me of the underclassman I had to deal with in theatre who had an excuse for everything. Maybe she will grow on me..... but I doubt it. Finals is my favorite episode.

Spoiler

Hopefully they fully explain the Heather, Raylee thing. Allie I get.

So far, I am not as invested in this season because of the lack of spoilers. Hard to know what girls to watch. I wish Dayton would have been a tad firmer because she is so much prettier and more talented than some of the ones that make it to training camp so far. And I for one hopes she uses all the pull she has to make the team next year. What good is having an in if you never use it??????

Edited by frenchtoast
added spoiler tags
  • Love 2

I finally was able to watch the episode on CMT's site just now. If folks are still having trouble with the app, maybe try watching directly through the site. For an expanded season, CMT sure isn't doing much to ensure as wide a circulation and audience as possible. Slow to make it available through them and Amazon, and I don't even know if it's available through iTunes yet, which is my preferred way to watch. I hate the poor streaming quality of the 2 episodes I bought via Amazon last year and won't be doing that again. 

I think Whitney's problems with executing choreography accurately combined with her often lackluster facial expression while performing and her stubbornness in Kelli's office all factored in together in them not seeing her as being right for the team. But Kelli told her she's not right for the team before she tried to talk her way out of getting cut, so I think that aspect might just be the icing on their uncertainty about seeing her this year. Whitney is pretty and has a great figure and is a good dancer, so I think she probably scored well with the other judges. I don't think it's mean girl of Kelli to be skeptical about Whitney. This is like her 6th time trying out, so it's not like she hasn't been given 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances. If she's performing with the same skill, semi-soft on power, and doesn't appear more dynamic and fun to watch, I don't see why Kelli or Judy should be less skeptical. Besides, whatever they felt, they did attend to the judges' votes and advanced her to semis. 

I'm guessing ballroom champ didn't fare as well with most of the judges, resulting in her getting cut after prelims. She really did not have the look at auditions and I agree that her hair and makeup didn't do her any favors. What I found even more off-putting than her looks, makeup, and repeatedly dropping mention of her ballroom titles was that hideous fringe pants ballroom outfit she willingly chose for her studio segment. The all over fringe was awful enough but the vertical two-tone was ridiculous to me. Perhaps they showed her story in part to show the caliber and prestige of dancers who don't meet the DCC standards in one way or another. 

Loved Dayton and appreciated that she hasn't spent her whole childhood wanting to be a DCC.  @ShellyB you looked fabulous and like the sweetest mama, and I loved that they showed what a special relationship you two have! I really admire the effort you put into not being an overbearing stage mom and that you put the energy instead into supporting your daughter and cheering her on to do her best and be her own person. 

Edited by M1977G
Nevermind
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SanLynn said:

I was not a fan of Kalyssa, both from her interview and her dancing. I found her overrated personally. I'm sure she'll make the team because I have a sucky eye for that stuff.

Also wasn't a fan of Farrah Fawcett Lauren (was that her name?). She seems like someone K&J will like too so she'll probably make it.

Whitney should not have come back but at the same time I'm not surprised she did because it seems like she just can't give this up! I predict they'll try to send a message by cutting her at semi's this year since in all her previous years she's made finals at least.

Christina has only been trying out for 5 years? Seems way longer than that LOL .... She's always been a nice dancer so it will be interesting to see if she has her kicks straightened out .. so to speak.

I shouldn't be surprised (but I am!) that they spent 950 minutes on the ballroom dancer's intro and she doesn't make it past prelims. Wonder who will get that spot in the semi round!

I loved Kalyssa's look but she seemed overly sexy and not in a "good" Holly-like way. I mean, I believe that Holly is too much sometimes BUT it's also obvious that it comes naturally to her. Kalyssa is trying too hard and she seems a bit egocentric. We shall see.

16 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

Whitney looked really strong, not sure what Kelli doesn't see or why she doesn't WANT to see her at all. Come on Kelli!

Brianna is a super model. Holy Crap.

TCC crush on Kalyssa

Whitney has a rbf. I don't think she can fix that,mostly because she seems a bit aggressive too.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dreamcatcher said:

I believe that Holly is too much sometimes BUT it's also obvious that it comes naturally to her. Kalyssa is trying too hard and she seems a bit egocentric.

Interesting, I guess we all have different perspectives, I think Holly looks so awkward when she does what she thinks is "sexy".

• Love 4
17 hours ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

If anyone on here still hasn't seen the show and is concerned about being able to purchase it ..... below is a chat I had several minutes ago regarding purchase on Amazon

I just wanted to add that I didn't see it on Amazon this morning, but I was able to watch on the CMT website this afternoon, even without a cable log-in. I think this was the case for the first episode last year as well. Hopefully, this will give Amazon a chance to get their sh*t together with the season pass for the rest of the show.

4 hours ago, beachespeaches said:

If Ballroom Dancer looked like she did in her JFC pic she might have had a better chance. The side part with soft waves and more natural makeup looks better than those curls and dark eyes she wore imo. 

Ballroom Dancer reminds me of 2-year veteran Kelli, both have a kind of "hard" look. 

13 minutes ago, JennOnTheGo said:

I just wanted to add that I didn't see it on Amazon this morning, but I was able to watch on the CMT website this afternoon, even without a cable log-in. I think this was the case for the first episode last year as well. Hopefully, this will give Amazon a chance to get their sh*t together with the season pass for the rest of the show.

Amazon now lists season 12. I subscribed via iTunes earlier today.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SanLynn said:

I hope they cut Whitney at semifinals.  She is wasting everyone's time.

• Love 4

I was somewhat disappointed in this first episode. It was so formulaic.

"EVERYBODY wants to be a DCC!"

"This has been my dream!!!"

"I am so excited/nervous/can't wait!"

"It is all about big Texas hair and sparkle!"  Yes.....OK.... we get it. 

They had the same judges as they have had in year's past....where was Neal? I hope he shows up for the semis and finals. He is my favorite judge, by far. The other ones can just ride off into the sunset.

When the lady with long, dark hair opened the gates, my first thought was, "Oh, no!! Where is Phil?" Much to my relief.....there he was!

Loved the mother/daughter Sister Sledge salute. More original moments like that on this show would be much appreciated.

And Melissa needs to lay off the lip gloss and leave some behind for the rest of us. That stuff was an inch thick. 

I am gunning for Christina and Brennan. Irritated that Whitney decided to defy K and J and show up again.

The Taiwanese Dr. tried out again. I am reading her book which is interesting, but girlfriend needs to hang it up. At this point, she is embarrassing herself.

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 6

Too much Anthony Ramos in this episode. Wayyyy too much. 

Other than that I have no idea who anyone is this year and I don't like not knowing. It makes me watch them closer on the show.

Anthony Ramos was OK. At least he was not completely obnoxious, but I will agree he was stealing a little spotlight from the ladies. As an antidote to this, I hope we hear more from the hair stylist judge. He is a complete riot!

I am almost half wishing Mulissuh gets knocked up again with a side order of bad morning sickness because she has worn out her welcome. Bring back Megan Fox. She would make a great showmanship mentor/coach. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

The Taiwanese Dr. tried out again. I am reading her book which is interesting, but girlfriend needs to hang it up. At this point, she is embarrassing herself.

This should probably be in Unpopular Opinions, but I do not understand people like her & others who audition because it is on their "bucket list".  So before they die, they want to try out for a team they have no chance of making with the added bonus of getting ridiculed in the process.  If they enjoy the energy and all that stuff, maybe they should sign up for some dance classes and shake their money makers to their hearts content!

• Love 8

Wow re: ballroom girl being a 3 year jets cheerleader and not making it past prelims - ouch, that's got to be rough.   I mean she didn't even make it past the first round of a four round process with all her experience and training. 

Plus those other Jets girls made it through.  I feel bad for her now, and she got that big intro feature so she probably thought she had it in the bag cause of that.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

Wow re: ballroom girl being a 3 year jets cheerleader and not making it past prelims - ouch, that's got to be rough.   I mean she didn't even make it past the first round of a four round process with all her experience and training. 

Plus those other Jets girls made it through.  I feel bad for her now, and she got that big intro feature so she probably thought she had it in the bag cause of that.

When I was watching her story, they showed a picture of what looked like her in a pro cheerleader uniform. I tried to figure out what team because the colors didn't look familiar (blue & white from what I remember) . I thought Jets uniforms were green and white.

When they were showing the comeback girls why wasn't  Kelly (popcorn) Sherwood shown? She should have been featured as well.

Edited by MrsEVH

I don't think Judy hates everyone but Cassie. I think every year she votes for a great dancer or two that others don't like as much because they're focused on looks and she even was really, really nice about the mom who showed up with her daughter. That said, I was totally annoyed at the Cassie life-sized poster behind Melissa and others in some interview scenes. I was like, get over it already and show some more recent DCCs! But then I was all excited to see Kelsi Reich's poster so I guess I'm just tired of CT. 

I also kind of like Anthony Ramos. He's quite charming interviewing the contestants, putting them at ease in a tough situation. And he was pretty funny, too, with his "What is happening here?" and especially that "Bless her heart." Definitely one of the best, and most flexible, Southern sayings. He used it well! 

• Love 6

In case anyone is curious, here are screenshots comparing Season 5's auditions vs. this season. I really wonder if the show is the reason why there are fewer people auditioning.

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.05.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 10.10.24 PM.png

12 hours ago, SopranoKris said:

OK, I guess I'm in the minority. I loved the fact that they spent a whole show on prelims. I love the audition process.

SAME! Best part of the season IMO.

• Love 4

Hello, I am a newbie here.  Just wanted to introduce myself, and say that I really enjoy watching this show.  I've been watching it for all(or most) of the years that it has been on..I think the audition process is one of my favorite parts of the show.  I wish they could show more of the preliminary as well as the individual audition process.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Anybody having problems watching online past the first commercial?

I was having the same problem watching it online(it also wouldn't play after first commercial)..What I did was clean my cache using my 'ccleaner'.  When I went back to the CMT website and clicked on the video to play, I moved my cursor over where I left off.  I had to do it after every commercial(clean my cache), which was sort of a hassle, but at least I got to watch the whole thing.  I hope this helps!

• Love 1

Episode 1    Underwhelmed!  Not sure how I feel about Kalyssa yet. Maybe she will grow on me but the valedictorian turned NBA dancer ummm  like I said maybe she  will grow on me.   I did enjoy the second batch of Flight Crew friends auditioning together. They seem fun!  I do not enjoy the first episode that much usually I just want training camp action.

• Love 2