Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: The Newest Food Network Star

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

Very accurate. When I see the promos for Guy's new family vacation show, it reminds me of the jokes about watching someone elses home movies. I just don't get the hype, especially on a channel purportedly devoted to food. 

I think the people running FN have no original programming ideas, so they fall back on their proven "stars" like Guy Fierri and Bobby Flay, or bring in people who already have recognizable names, like Valerie Bertinelli. Also, Guy Fierri probably has this network twisted around his little finger, so they're going to do any show he wants for fear of losing him. If he said, I want you to pay for my kids' college educations and we'll do a show called "What Kids Eat in Dorms" they'd probably agree.

Though this may've been the worst season of FN Star ever (seems I say that every year). Jason may end up being one of the better winners they've had. He at least has some proven expertise (especially around baking), and though the "honey chile" shtick may not be everyone's cup of tea, he is a good communicator. Compared to such recent disasters as Cowboy Lenny, Tregaye, and Justin Warner, they did pretty well. I'd also probably rather watch him than Aaron McCargo, Melissa d'Arabian etc.

And having once lived in the Midwest, Sandwich King Jeff's Chicago accent is probably more annoying to me than Jason's twang.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, OneWouldHope said:

I thought her dress was pretty on trend. It looked like a lot of those D&G and Gucci "whimsical" prints and embroidered dresses from last season. For my money, I couldn't believe they made her sit up on those stools the rest were perched on! 

Me also!  I really don't care for those spandex outfits pregnant women wear especially when their navals poke out.  But I am for sure the older generation.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Ivygirl, you've nailed FN's target audience!

Now where do the rest of us go?  Cooking Channel offers about 4 shows that we've seen a hundred times.  Maybe we should start "PreviouslyTV Nummies Network" (except we'd probably get sued for copyright infringement).

Speaking of Cooking Channel shows, what happened to Ayesha Curry's? That was surprisingly enjoyable. And I liked her food.

51 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Though this may've been the worst season of FN Star ever (seems I say that every year). Jason may end up being one of the better winners they've had. He at least has some proven expertise (especially around baking), and though the "honey chile" shtick may not be everyone's cup of tea, he is a good communicator. Compared to such recent disasters as Cowboy Lenny, Tregaye, and Justin Warner, they did pretty well. I'd also probably rather watch him than Aaron McCargo, Melissa d'Arabian etc.

And having once lived in the Midwest, Sandwich King Jeff's Chicago accent is probably more annoying to me than Jason's twang.

Jason kind of falls into the Jeff camp of winners for me. I didn't really vibe with them, but I could see why others might.

Jason might actually do ok on a Kitchen-style show, where he's balanced out by other personalities.

• Love 1

A show was definitely not part of the prize package. Just an appearance at their Food & Wine festival and a feature in FN Magazine. Even Tregaye was promised The Kitchen Sink. 

As for Ayesha Curry, her second season wrapped about a month ago. Don't know if she was renewed; she has a ton of projects going right now.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

A show was definitely not part of the prize package. Just an appearance at their Food & Wine festival and a feature in FN Magazine. Even Tregaye was promised The Kitchen Sink. 

As for Ayesha Curry, her second season wrapped about a month ago. Don't know if she was renewed; she has a ton of projects going right now.

Thanks re: Ayesha Curry. Admittedly I haven't gone to much trouble to look for the show, but considering I see Tiffani's all the time, I figured it'd be repeated if it were still on.

• Love 1

I've lurked around this forum most of the season.  Haven't really commented because I got frustrated and really didn't watch a lot of it. 

The reason?  I learned the year Eddie Johnson won that they really don't want cooking shows.  I don't know why they even care about the person's POV, or whether they can cook.  I'm pretty sure that's why the took the "6 episode" prize away; because they don't intend to let them have a cooking show.   All they want is "hosts" who can do magazine-type shows, sampling and talking about food in other places, a la Triple D.  This year's pilots proved that once again.  I think the last time they had "pilots" where they actually cooked was the year Melissa d'Arabian won. 

FN may be still about "food," but is sure isn't about cooking.  Early on, one commenter here said the person who can be a judge on Guy's Grocer Games will win.  That's all the FN is about any more....reality shows, with home cooks competing, and the "stars" as judges.  Or travelng around, sampling food from restaurants.

As for Jason, (and Rusty) you'd have to tie me to a chair and staple my eyelids open to make we watch them, even if they did cook.

They have officially run out of steam with this bunch.

Edited by Mother124
  • Love 6

This is the person I was wondering about--Amy Findley.  Lordy where have the years gone.

From Wikipedia:

Amy Finley (born in 1973 in San Diego, California) is an American cook and writer, who was the winner of the third season of The Next Food Network Star awarded a commitment to host a cooking show on the Food Network. Her program The Gourmet Next Door premiered on October 14, 2007, and aired for six episodes before Finley, citing a family crisis, cancelled further episodes [1] and moved with her husband and children to a rural farm in Burgundy, France, an episode she chronicled in How to Eat a Small Country.[2]

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Mother124 said:

I've lurked around this forum most of the season.  Haven't really commented because I got frustrated and really didn't watch a lot of it. 

The reason?  I learned the year Eddie Johnson won that they really don't want cooking shows.  I don't know why they even care about the person's POV, or whether they can cook.  I'm pretty sure that's why the took the "6 episode" prize away; because they don't intend to let them have a cooking show.   All they want is "hosts" who can do magazine-type shows, sampling and talking about food in other places, a la Triple D.  This year's pilots proved that once again.  I think the last time they had "pilots" where they actually cooked was the year Melissa d'Arabian won. 

FN may be still about "food," but is sure isn't about cooking.  Early on, one commenter here said the person who can be a judge on Guy's Grocer Games will win.  That's all the FN is about any more....reality shows, with home cooks competing, and the "stars" as judges.  Or travelng around, sampling food from restaurants.

As for Jason, (and Rusty) you'd have to tie me to a chair and staple my eyelids open to make we watch them, even if they did cook.

I think it's Eddie Jackson, not Eddie Johnson.

Yeah, all the competitions have started to become unwatchable. Guy Fieri's Triple D, Alton's Cutthroat Comeback Kitchen, Triple G.

Addie, here ya go. 

Edited by Simon47
13 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

It's almost like they're doing this show in spite of themselves anymore.  Like they hate it but they do it just because it's a cash cow and nothing else.  They don't even push it or encourage the fans anymore.  It's as if they want it to die a slow meaningless death.

But of course, they're pushing Hannah Hart like no tomorrow, meanwhile all the comments continue to be from people that say they're tired of the Guy F. travel/eat format and would rather watch real cooking shows.  It's unbelievable.  That's all I ever see people post on that site and yet all they give us is competitions and travel/eat shows.

I watched some of Hannah Hart's show last night and it is so incredibly bland - it's exactly like Carnival Bites and Katie Lee's show and everyone else who travels around trying food but doesn't have the revolting charisma of Guy Fieri. I'm actually a fan of Hart's comedy on youtube and her "jokes" on this show fell so flat that they didn't even succeed as self-parody.

• Love 4

I am so sick to death of Hannah Hart commercials, especially the one that's been playing forever, that I'm tempted to stop watching the FN to preserve my sanity.  They're shoving her down our throats like she's the best thing since sliced bread.  She reminds me of a pre-teen who thinks she's cute and wants to show the world how she can mug the camera with funny faces.  Once again, the direction the so-called "Food" Network is taking is waaaay off track.  I truly think the only way to change their course is to stop watching and to scare their advertisers off.

Corey news: There was a tweet that I was unable to copy, but if I can figure it out, I'll post it.  It was a link to Cory's hometown newspaper, showing him at a viewing party for the finale.  It was held at a beer place in Monroe, LA, his hometown.  Here's a way to find it if I fail: Put into your browser "newspaper serving Monroe, LA."  You'll find it and can click it open.  Then look for Corey's story if it isn't on the front page.  Corey is opening a new restaurant in Monroe this fall.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Mother124 said:

I don't know why they even care about the person's POV, or whether they can cook.

Because if they said "We're looking for the next easily-marketable cliche personality" it would be too obvious.

• Love 8

Well, it went as predicted.  I guess it doesn't matter because I don't watch cooking shows, but I could not take 3 minutes of Jason. I saw the end, and  don't know if I will go back and watch it. There is a shot of Giada that is all nose and teeth and then Jason says something about being naked....frankly after that I am afraid to watch the episode.  No surprise Rusty's pilot was a mess.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Ivygirl, you've nailed FN's target audience!

Now where do the rest of us go?  Cooking Channel offers about 4 shows that we've seen a hundred times.  Maybe we should start "PreviouslyTV Nummies Network" (except we'd probably get sued for copyright infringement).

CC usually airs reruns of old Food Network shows(Good Eats,The Best Thing I Ever Ate etc)

14 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

Very accurate. When I see the promos for Guy's new family vacation show, it reminds me of the jokes about watching someone elses home movies. I just don't get the hype, especially on a channel purportedly devoted to food. 

That show wouldve been better suited for Travel Channel IMO..

6 hours ago, rab01 said:

I watched some of Hannah Hart's show last night and it is so incredibly bland - it's exactly like Carnival Bites and Katie Lee's show and everyone else who travels around trying food but doesn't have the revolting charisma of Guy Fieri. I'm actually a fan of Hart's comedy on youtube and her "jokes" on this show fell so flat that they didn't even succeed as self-parody.

"You know,i'm gonna go out on a LAMB,here.."  Um,okay..

Too bad Food Network cancelled Bakers vs Fakers,Jason wouldve been a perfect judge for that one..

and speaking of judging i'm curious as to why Guy hasnt shown up as a judge on either Chopped,Beat Bobby Flay,Cutthroat Kitchen etc..

Edited by TDT
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Lura said:

I am so sick to death of Hannah Hart commercials, especially the one that's been playing forever, that I'm tempted to stop watching the FN to preserve my sanity.  They're shoving her down our throats like she's the best thing since sliced bread.  She reminds me of a pre-teen who thinks she's cute and wants to show the world how she can mug the camera with funny faces.  Once again, the direction the so-called "Food" Network is taking is waaaay off track.  I truly think the only way to change their course is to stop watching and to scare their advertisers off.

They keep thinking they're going to find new talent from the internet, but TV and the internet are two totally different mediums.  It's kind of like taking a radio star and assuming they'll be a good movie star.  Or when silent movie stars had to transition to talking movies.  Often someone that works well in one medium won't necessarily translate over to the other.  That said, I actually think Matthew could do well in both mediums, but he has an obnoxious personality so forget I even said that!

1 hour ago, TDT said:

Too bad Food Network cancelled Bakers vs Fakers,Jason wouldve been a perfect judge for that one..

They canceled it?  Wow, that was quick!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Simon47 said:

I think it's Eddie Jackson, not Eddie Johnson.

Yeah, all the competitions have started to become unwatchable. Guy Fieri's Triple D, Alton's Cutthroat Comeback Kitchen, Triple G.

Thanks, I stand corrected. 

It's really pathetic...they even have an Iron Chef...Michael Symon, doing a magazine-style show..Burgers, Brew, and Que.  How pathetic is that?  Is Bobby Flay the only one who is still actually cooking on that network?   

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

Pregnant women are smug? I don't get it.

Why is this for Addie?  Did she do something egregious that I missed? No one even knew she was expecting until the finale. 

I don't know exactly which post you're referring to, but IMO Addie is smug, pregnant or not.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:
18 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

I don't know exactly which post you're referring to, but IMO Addie is smug, pregnant or not.  

I was referring to @Simon47's video clip. I couldn't copy it!

Did Addie actually brag?  Boy, I never heard it.  She mentioned her work experience in the intro, but for all we know, the FN told her to mention it.  I'll have to look at that recording again.  Addie is a prissy kind of person.  I'd like to meet her parents because I'll bet they're the same way... seldom laughing, always mindful of being perfect, etc.  Addie even tried to explain herself once when she said really quietly, "That's just not how we were," or something like that.  I know a guy who's the same way.  His mother is a preacher!  I didn't pay much attention to Addie, but when I did, I sorta felt sorry for her.  I think she thinks she's a loser because she has such a near-zero personality.  You know what they say: To each his own.  :)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, TDT said:

CC usually airs reruns of old Food Network shows(Good Eats,The Best Thing I Ever Ate etc)

That show wouldve been better suited for Travel Channel IMO..

"You know,i'm gonna go out on a LAMB,here.."  Um,okay..

and speaking of judging i'm curious as to why Guy hasnt shown up as a judge on either Chopped,Beat Bobby Flay,Cutthroat Kitchen etc..

I get the sense Guy is way too busy. He doesn't even have time to film his S&S show for consistent seasons.

• Love 1

Late to post because I was off to the coast for my anniversary. Ocean time is the best time.

I would watch Cory do a stand and stir and would try his recipes, but I actually found his pilot pretty uninformative. He didn't have content - and I won't necessarily blame him for that. Rusty incorporated more food knowledge into his pilot than Cory. 

During the segment looking across the season, they highlighted Jason going from somewhat bland/tame to wacky. They pushed him into the caricature, and based on what people have said about him on the baking show, I have a hunch his true personality is somewhere in the middle. 

• Love 3

Started to watch this afternoon because I had no interest until now.  Came here to read and when I found out Jason won I deleted it after 5 minutes.  I was rooting for Corey.  I hate that this guy won 2 shows now..the baking one and this one.  It's bull.  He's annoying as all hell.  I would never root for someone who has already one..like that woman last year too or the Italian guy..lol  I can't remember 1 name..oh wait Damiano.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Started to watch this afternoon because I had no interest until now.  Came here to read and when I found out Jason won I deleted it after 5 minutes.  I was rooting for Corey.  I hate that this guy won 2 shows now..the baking one and this one.  It's bull.  He's annoying as all hell.  I would never root for someone who has already one..like that woman last year too or the Italian guy..lol  I can't remember 1 name..oh wait Damiano.

Damiano.

I'll watch Hannah Hart a bit later, I'll tell you what I think.

I was/am one of Cory's biggest fans and was fit to be tied when he didn't win -- but I'll watch Jason.  I think he's a pretty nice guy and doesn't see himself as being any better than the rest.  He was well liked on the baking show.  One of his biggest fans was one of the three judges -- Nancy Fuller of "Farmhouse Rules," but the other judges thought Jason was brilliant, too.  If he ever gets his own show, I can't see him fooling around much.  He takes his baking seriously.  It still hurts to think that RUSTY came in ahead of Cory (!) and that Cory didn't win, but the FN isn't going to change its mind just because I wish they would.  I would be VERY happy if they canned  Giada and Bobby and got two new judges.  Those two oldies should take their boring, tired acts and retire to Yawnsville, IMHO.

• Love 6

My youngest step-daughter sent us the "Pregnant Women are Smug" video when her older sister got pregnant for the first time, and we laughed so hard because it fit the oldest to.a.tee.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Jason.

On 8/15/2017 at 11:13 AM, LittleIggy said:

I thought Jason's pilot made the fondue look delicious.

He did.  And he made it look like the fondue was fun with his "Lady and the Tramp" moment and his "those are just the jewels for later" comment after the guy said he lost whatever he was putting in the fondue.

• Love 1
On 8/16/2017 at 8:26 AM, Skyfall said:

I get the sense Guy is way too busy. He doesn't even have time to film his S&S show for consistent seasons.

S & S show..?

On 8/16/2017 at 10:34 AM, Lura said:

Addie is a prissy kind of person.  I'd like to meet her parents because I'll bet they're the same way... seldom laughing, always mindful of being perfect, etc. 

Mr. Snarkle would call Addie a "Miss Prissy Marmy Pants".  We have TONS of them here in New England. 

16 hours ago, Lura said:

I would be VERY happy if they canned  Giada and Bobby and got two new judges.

I agree. I used to like Bobby, but now he's very tired and in over his head. Giada is a hot mess on this show. We don't need to see her chest every second of the show. New judges? Nancy Fuller, definitely. I can't stand her on the baking championship, but she has a lot of experience and knows her food. What happened to Paula Deen? Why did she get fired? Bring her back too. What happened to Ina Garten? Tyler Florence is a good one, too. I love Alex Guarnaschelli, she is very experienced and knows her food. I could take Guy Fieri or Eddie Jackson anytime.

• Love 1
On 8/15/2017 at 1:59 PM, Mother124 said:

*Waves*

I thought Jason was great on the Holiday Baking show,  a little over the top with the hillbilly act but nothing to cringe over.  He really overdid it on this show, but he was smart and strategic and it worked.

Cory was the most talented and in my opinion, had the best pilot, but he was too smooth and a rival to Bobby.

It's not an information and teaching network anymore,  they are going for the short attention span crowd,  not the want to learn crowd. 

• Love 3

I finally got bored enough to watch this. How did Rusty make the final two? I found Cory's pilot easier to watch and more informative (maybe because I tend to zone out when people shout at me so I didn't listen to a word Rusty said). At least, once Cory was out, they had the sense to give it to Jason because OMG if Shouty had won...grrrr

• Love 1

I wanted Cory to win because I liked him the best.  I still liked Jason and saw him win his cake contest battle.  He will first appear "sometime in the fall" on some show.  Cory has tried HARD to get people off his bandwagon and onto Jason's, even tweeting that Jason deserved to win.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

Pallida, belated Happy Anniversary!  We just celebrated ours, too.  I would have killed to have had some ocean time, but we couldn't get away this year.

Cory has been mobbed by so many tweets from women who express their "love" for him that I'd think he'd be ready to go fishing for a month!  He finally admitted that he has a girlfriend, and I thought that was a smart attempt to cool down some of the most frustrated of the females, but it didn't work.

I forgot to ask in my last post whether anyone knows whether Addie has had her baby yet.  Boy or girl?  She was brave to go back for the reunion.  It must have meant something to her to return when she was about ready to pop!

I think the real booby prize on this season's episodes goes to "Mama" from Detroit.  She was so BAD!  Yet, now, when I look back at the season, I laugh whenever I think about her.  I tell you, I truly believe that when the good Lord passed out brains to the babies born in her month, she was too busy yapping to get up closer to the front of the line. When I think of her insisting on turning off the burner under Jason's pan (which had me wringing my hands at the time), I have to shake my head in amazement.  How did she make it onto that show if she never heard of burning off alcohol?!  I'll bet she and Addie weren't exactly soul sisters off camera!  Matthew deserves some kind of a prize, which I can't come up with right now, but Mama sure deserves the one I'm giving her! 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

@Lura, I guess she must have had one helluva audition tape. Or one day we'll find out that some of the contestants -- like the diners -- are paid actors.

I don't know if she was a paid actor all the way through but I'm morally certain that she was instructed to create that footage about Jason' s pan.  There is no way that he didn't taste it before serving and the judges' reactions were suspicious as well.  Commenting on the alcohol hit to Jason but not dinging his food at all when they were discussing the contestants screams of creating tape to allow the editors to craft narratives.  

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, rab01 said:

I don't know if she was a paid actor all the way through but I'm morally certain that she was instructed to create that footage about Jason' s pan.  There is no way that he didn't taste it before serving and the judges' reactions were suspicious as well.  Commenting on the alcohol hit to Jason but not dinging his food at all when they were discussing the contestants screams of creating tape to allow the editors to craft narratives.  

It could be that it was prearranged, but I wonder what kind of idiot would agree to being so stupid about alcohol being burned off?  Maybe I have too much pride, but if they asked me, I'd say no.  I wouldn't want the entire country to think I was THAT dumb!  LOL  Maybe she said yes because she loved the attention.

• Love 1